Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ

Comments

• BeamerManBeamerMan Member Posts: 64
    Big t, where did you buy it and how was the deal. I live in Md.
  • bigtbigt Member Posts: 412
    Thanks, and I love it! The nav is great. The ride is better than my Zephyr and around 70 mph you could whisper in the car!

The deal was from East/West in Landover. They were all professional. I asked for and received invoice without any haggle.

The red really stands out and lots of head turning during the drive. I couldn't be happier!
    Did you buy or lease? I too want vivd red, how does the black interior look with this. I want to lease. So no need for xplan huh. Sounds terrific. You mean they just gave you invoice? What is up with that?
    Did you buy or lease? I too want vivd red, how does the black interior look with this. I want to lease. So no need for xplan huh. Sounds terrific. You mean they just gave you invoice? What is up with that?
    I purchased the MKZ. The black interior really looks nice with the red. The satin accents are throughout the cabin and really look nice. I like this look better than black with dark wood.

I was also surprised how easy it was for me to get invoice. Heck now I am wondering if I should have asked for below invoice!
    I am about to go get some window tinting doe and have a few questions:

1. The window looks like it has some level of tinting already? Looks like 5-10% but not sure.

2. If you have a navigation system you have to get a different type of tinting. This is because the tint has some sort of metal in it and it interferes with the navigation system. In the past the sensor for the nav was on the dashboard and this makes sense. However on the MKZ the sensor for the nav and Sirus radio are on the roof. Seems to me that window tinting can't interfere with the nav now. The reason I as is the special tint (film) is about a 100 bucks more.

Any ideals on this?
    Found out the answers to this. There is an additional nav sensor inside the back window so no choice but to get the film tint. Well it really looks sharp now the darker windows on that vivid red.

The car really is nice to drive. I can really feel the difference from the Zephyr it has an additonal kick expecially going from 50 to 70.
  • caliddcalidd Member Posts: 60
    I have been having trouble finding a photo of the satin nickle trim (alternative to the two wood trims). Can anyone send me to one or direct me to where I could find one on the internet?

Many thanks.
    Here you go there are several satin accents throughout the cabin:

Thanks, bigt! Wow! That's sharp!

Is satin nickel offered with light stone interior as well? If so, do you know of any photos with the satin nickel trim and light stone leather? Thanks.
    Not sure but it is really sharp on black.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    "Nickel Satin?"
    It's just painted plastic. It doesn't look that great in real life due to the cheapness of it.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    "It's just painted plastic."

jaxs is right about this part I think. Not so much the other part. I think it looks great in my '04 Navigator. But the parts that get touched a lot - like near the drivers door handle - are wearing down to black underneath, which dont look so good. It's real pretty but real cheap. Come to think of it, just like a date I had once.
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    It's just painted plastic.

A lot of cars offer something like "nickle satin" or other metallic trim, like most Acura models. Are any of them really metal, or are they all just plastic?
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    "But the parts that get touched a lot - like near the drivers door handle - are wearing down to black underneath, which dont look so good. It's real pretty but real cheap. Come to think of it, just like a date I had once."

I won't ask what parts got touched a lot.
    Two questions, I just did a private sale of my Zephyr. What happens to the extended warranty?

Also for this sale and the purchase of a used Ford what other bumper-to-bumper options do I have. The dealer wanted $1,900 for a 100k-5-year warranty. On a 10k used Focus that has 40k miles on it that made no sense.
    If it's a Ford-brand extended warranty, you could have cashed it in and they'd have mailed you a check. Otherwise, it stays with the car and goes to the new owner.
    Don't you have to officially transfer it to the new owner by filling out transfer papers and sending it to the Ford warranty company at the time sale?
    Nope, it's "attached" to the VIN.
    You have the car, you have the warranty-- Just like any new car warranty.
    That's what makes the Ford ESP plans so good.
    Unless the previous owner cancelled the policy during their ownership and received a prorated refund for the warranty.
    Thats great on the Lincoln now what should I do about the Used car purchase that has 40k miles on it and is out of warranty. I assume that I have to find a 3rd party for this?
    Once the factory warranty runs out, you can't get Ford ESP.

Ford is one of the only OEM's that allow a subsequent owner buy a factory extended warranty
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    what do you mean by extended warranty? do you mean one on top of the factory 4yr/50k(or whatever)?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Yes. Typically extends coverage to 6 yrs/75K miles but there are many options.
  • cg205cg205 Member Posts: 34
    In addition to the 4yr/50K bumper to bumper, all Lincolns now have 6yr/70K powertrain warranty.
    Looks like Ford has a program for vehicles out of warranty. This is what I received from them:

You can purchase a warranty thru Ford's EasyCare program, they start about $900. I'd be happy to go over the programs and prices with you anytime. You can reach me at 1-800-444-7173. Enrollment is quick and easy.
    MKZ, noticed that the almost sold 900 MKX's also in December.

Dec 06 = 3,795
    Dec 05 = 2,129

Year to date

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=25114
    They are being seen. Maybe not heard. Where is everyone? Over at the Caddy Forum? :)
  • cg205cg205 Member Posts: 34
    Some of us are still hanging around. My son and his wife like the Z I bought in November so much that they bought a new black/black Z. They didn't need AWD as I did, so they got a FWD. It seems to be noticeably quicker without AWD, I'm waiting to see if their fuel mileage is better than mine.
    I wish everyone great luck who bought or buys a Z. It'll probably be a great, reliable car for you.

I dont know where the interest is. It certainly wasnt like this when the LS was new.

Last, Ford 'improved' the Zephyr with the MKZ. It's got a bigger more powerful engine and AWD is now available and ... sales are down. I know it's only one month, but it aint lookin too good.
  • Not very distinctive. Sold by Lincoln that has a limping line-up right now. No stability control...not even optional. Not lauded by the press as the new LS was. Lots of reasons it is not a standout in a crowded field.
    Well, the Zephyr/MKZ had two strikes against it out the gate: (1) it didn't beat the competition in HP or with AWD until its 2nd year of release, and (2) by then, there was name change confusion.

I think Lincoln should ante up the rebates and 0% financing offer. It's important that Lincoln show momentum so as to create some buzz. Later, once its reputation is restored, it can drop or reduce the incentives. But my advice for now is get the MKZs moving.

A time-tested business principle is that it is better to sell much at a small profit than little with much profit.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    I wonder wny someone may want to buy MKZ if very nice new CTS is coming at fall?
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    I wonder wny someone may want to buy MKZ if very nice new CTS is coming at fall?

Might depend on the pricing, I suppose. Snow-belt folks might want FWD or AWD. Some might just like the MKZ styling better. Maybe the MKZ will have a smoother, quieter ride, which might appeal to some.

Personally, I like the looks of the CTS better than the MKZ.
    Because while the new CTS is light years better than the old one, especially the interior, some of us just don't like the exterior styling.
  • And again, because the CTS is a polarizing design. It stands out, it gets attention, whether you like it or not. The MKZ will sell to those who want a lower price, more anonymous styling, and/or FWD (the CTS will also offer AWD). This is somewhat analogous to comparing the Ford 500 and the Chrysler 300. Some folks like the conservative (plain, dull) looks of the 500 better, but it is obvious that the more polarizing (love it or hate it) look of the 300 did much better in the marketplace.
    Well, the question was why would anyone buy a MKZ over a CTS, and that was one answer. Ford itself is striving for more polarizing designs (like the Interceptor and MKR) so that in itself isn't a bad thing.
  • cowbellcowbell Member Posts: 125
    According to Forbes magazine, the MKZ recieved the second most insterest of any car as measured by price quotes requested at Forbesauto.com.

I understand this is a very limited sample, but it's the only such report I've read. Though January might not have been a good month, the MKZ may be gaining in interest.

Here's the link:
    http://www.forbesautos.com/advice/toptens/fourth_quarter_07/shopper_favorites.ht- ml
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    Actually comparing MKZ to Caddy is not fair. Caddy is a true luxury make and it should be (in theory) priced higher than MKZ. Probably it makes more sence to compare MKZ to Acura TL.
    People price shopping will buy the MKZ because it will be cheaper than a CTS and will have rebates too.
    I'm sure street pricing after discounting will be multiple thousands apart.
    The MKZ only has $1K in rebates (has since day one). The CTS currently has $2K total ($500 customer cash and $1500 dealer cash). The new CTS might get away without rebates - for awhile at least.
    Akirby,

I have not seen $1K rebates on the MKZ since last Fall. When I type in my zipcode, the website tells me that Lincoln's special offer is $500 off until 4/2/07. Can you tell me how I might get $1000 discount?

Do you know when Lincoln will be offering 0% financing again?
    Sorry - I think I confused it with the Fusion. It does say $500 and I think it's been that way all along except maybe for leftover 06 models.
    They do not have giant rebates on the MKZ because they are keeping production levels pretty low to match the low demand.

This prevents dealers from having to get rid of massive numbers of unsold MKZs with embarrassingly large rebates.
    Exactly - that's the plan. Lower production numbers, lower rebates, higher profits per vehicle.

I really think when they priced the Fusion/Milan and MKZ they figured in a $500 rebate - just enough to satisfy buyers who demand rebates. The Edge and MkX do not have rebates.
    Since these cars are made with embarassingly cheap Mexican labor, Ford could probably put a $10,000 rebate on them and still make big bucks.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    many japanese cars are made with cheap japanese labor, especially after the currency manipulation. Their is little Ford can do. The govt. won't help them and the UAW is breathing down their neck. Its probably leave or die. They chose to leave.

It sucks I know. Lets see if unions and autos can talk better, for all of our sakes.
  • Mexican labor is cheap. Been to Japan lately? The yen is strong. Japanese labor is not cheap. Japan is not by any stretch cheap to visit, a place to hire cheap labor, or a place to find cheap goods. Compared to India, Chins, Mexico, etc., Japanese products are expensive. Japanese cars sure are not cheap. They cost more than comparables from Detroit, even before incentives.
    Enjoying our 2-3 inches of snow today in the DC area. Lots of folks cannot get going on the slightest grade. Lots of spinning going on. Now I am glad I went for the AWD MKZ. I am rolling along! :shades:
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    yen is a whole lot weaker thanthe dollar. And that inflates the labor advantage.

Just because there are countries with an even bigger advantage, does not change things.

Good point, though :)

I just hope Ford changes Lincoln styling soon. The exterrior is partly ok but these interriors are just ugly, did you see the MKX?

I talked with dealers, the Ford Dealers are disgusted with it aswell.
  • Yes, there was a time when Japanese vehicles were actually cheaper than comparable American ones. That is long past. I repeat, the Japanese do not have a labor advantage to speak of. The yen is a strong currency. Japanese workers are highly paid. Besides, many of the most popular models are built right here by American workers being paid American dollars. Japan obviously sees a financial advantage over building vehicles in Japan and shipping them here.

Toyota, etc. does have a strong financial advantage over American companies though. Health care costs per vehicle are a fraction of what Ford/GM pay. And the dollar transaction per comparable vehicle is significantly higher when comparing a Japanese vehicle to an American one. So Toyota is not only increasing their sales month over month, year over year, where Ford and GM are shrinking. They pay similar high wages and still make out like bandits, because we cannot figure out a better way to fund health care...and because their vehicles sell for higher prices and in greater numbers than American ones do.