Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3 Canada

Comments

• Options
    nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    one button is for changing the tripometer A and B
    the other is to change the dash lights from bright to dull .... blue circle red background like mentioned before. I can't find any other colours,
    but check the manual or ask the dealer..
  • Options
    tr20tr20 Member Posts: 76
    well try the button! one colour is bright red and the other light blue
  • Options
    jezebeljezebel Member Posts: 25
    So can any of you 2006 owners comment on the air con? Is it any better now than on the last models?

For those of you with older glitchier A/C - how soon do you figure out the AC was crappy?
  • Options
    jezebeljezebel Member Posts: 25
    How does the GT hold its resale value compared to the GS?

It seems to me that on options alone, if you were buying the GS (+power package + sport package + AC) you basically have the same options as on a GT (well, except the larger engine and 5 spd AT!), for similar MSRP. Basically about $400 more for the GT. But if you were to sell these similarly-equipped cars down the line, will the GT sell for more than the GS?

Will the larger engine give it a higher resale value? Or does it depend on how gas prices are (eg, if they're $2/litre, maybe a smaller engine will be more valuable??).

Basically, I can't decide if I want to get the GT.. I'm not sure I want to buy all the other crap you have to take if you want ABS on the GS, but if I do, it seems worth it just to buy the GT. No?
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I have a 2004 - I took several test drives and since the car we were buying was black/black we really tested the AC to make sure it cooled the car. We saw no problems with it - but it was January and the temp was not even 80 degrees outside.

I first noticed it on a nice bright sunny 90 degree day - got in the car to drive home from the beach (car had been parked in the sun for several hours) and the car would just not cool off - we drove about 50 miles mostly highway in a warm car - The AC worked fine on the drive TO the beach - we had the car parked in the garage overnight and I guess it was in the low 80's.

The weak AC also shows up when you are stuck in traffic on a hot sunny day & not able to move - a few times I had to just open the windows - AC would blow cold then cool then warm air. Cycle about every 10-15 seconds. All AC systems loose capacity when stuck in traffic - so you could say this is normal. But if you start out with a weak system - when you get in this type situation the weakness really shows up.

IMO the best way to test the AC - leave the car parked in the sun for a hour or 2 with temp above 90 degrees - start it up turn on the AC - and see how long it takes for the car to cool off while parked. If it cools in this situation then you should not have a problem - but if it doesn't cool off to your satisfaction then don't buy the car because Mazda will not fix this problem.
  • Options
    autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Most of the A/C problems were posted for some cars in the original year (2004). I agree with Bill that a real world test is a good idea. Since you are in Canada and not in Texas (like Bill) the chances of 90F+ (32C+) days is reduced so his test may be a little less real. Another option is tinting your windows like Bill did.

p.s. my 2002 Mazda Protege5 A/C continues to keep me in the cool.
  • Options
    for the sedan owners, does anyone have difficulty opening the trunk especially in the winter?
  • Options
    speed7speed7 Member Posts: 11
    Anyone have any idea if mazda offers undercoating at all?
    I and going to buy a Mazda 3 GS and would like an idea what they charge to have this done in Ontario? Interesting thing I heard by the salesman at Mazda this summer. They apparantly did mention that they will be coming out with a part you can attach to the battery soon that sends out ionic charge of some sorts to the entire metal body of the car and this prevents rust to the body and engine but I dont think this is will be available yet for some time.
    If anyone has any info I sure appreciate it alot.
  • Options
    Interesting thing I heard by the salesman at Mazda this summer. They apparantly did mention that they will be coming out with a part you can attach to the battery soon that sends out ionic charge of some sorts to the entire metal body of the car and this prevents rust to the body and engine but I dont think this is will be available yet for some time.
    This is one of the oldest scams on the market.

undercoating ... would like an idea what they charge to have this done in Ontario?
    Rust-proofing provided by dealers are often very expensive and of questionable value. See the APA (Automobile Protection Association) website for more information. There are many independent providers including Krown which charges approximately $100 per year for their treatment.
  • Options
    The undercoating offered by the dealer is too expensive. If you want the tar application find a independent applicator thats what the dealer does. My fav is the oil applied once a year. crown or Rust check.
    As for the ionic charge it is a scam and no real proof it works. I am surprised a dealer would want to sell it. Doesn't say much about the dealer.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    They apparantly did mention that they will be coming out with a part you can attach to the battery soon that sends out an ionic charge of some sort ...

Let me guess ... if you don't like it, you can return it, but keep the Bathroom Ionic Breeze as a free gift?

:P

Meade
  • Options
    I need to correct your earlier posts,
    The salesman did not try to sell me this inonic piece feature at all !
    As I posted earlier he mearly said that he heard this may be avaiLalble soon.
    I was not scammed! He did also add that they he was not sure himself if this really would work even it it was available.
    So if its a crappy rumour then I guess I need to do alittle more research on it.
    I am buying the GS soon with the sport package. I was not told that this ionic piece was included with my car.
    Unfortunately I only have the one dealer to deal with up here in northern Ontario so I have no choice.
    I really dont know of anyone who is really happy when it comes to trying to get a deal from any salesman anyways. Its really a most horrifying experience trying to get any deal but I will not budge untill I am somewhat satisfied in terms of money off the car or adding in extra features as a trade off. I have already walked away from the manager once so he knows I mean to wheel and deal , Otherwise no deal!
    Best part is they pull out this print off sheet and try to tell you your the only person they are showing it to and its lists the invoice price they paid for the car and try to steer you into believing that they make very little profit on the vehicle. They must think people were born yesterday! Like they really will ever show me the true invoice price!
    YEAH RIGHT! My dad got 1000 bucks off his honda civic and they said the same thing to him!
    Such is the life!
  • Options
    smrtiesmrtie Member Posts: 2
    Hi encore,

Can you share the name of the dealership where you got your quote? I just drove an 05 GT and figure for the little difference in price between them that I would go for a 06.

Thanks,

pedro
  • Options
    ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    autonomous wrote: Most of the A/C problems were posted for some cars in the original year (2004).

Nope...not true. The issue also plagues 2005's too.
  • Options
    Really? You think it "plagues" 2005s? Judging from what I've read here, I thought the A/C problem, even in 2004 models, was important but uncommon (that is, it was affecting a minority of customers) and from what I've read here it was moot in 2005 because a solution had been applied in mid04 for the 2005 models. I guess this returns us to a discussion of the definition of "solution" but I won't go there. ;)
  • Options
    pacific707pacific707 Member Posts: 1
    I just put a deposit on a 2006 Sport GT with luxury package and was wondering what the stereo was here in canada. I have read some places that its a 7 speaker bose system but on mazda.ca it only shows as up to 6 speakers and no mention of bose.

thanks
  • Options
    i don't think mazda dealerships in canada offers bose.
  • Options
    does anyone find the interior acculumates dust on the surface? i.e dash. seats
  • Options
    2006 Sport GT with luxury package and was wondering what the stereo was here in canada. I have read some places that its a 7 speaker bose system

Are you thinking of the Mazda6 GT, perhaps? A friend bought one recently equipped with the Bose system. If it's not listed as Bose I doubt it is.
  • Options
    allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    There is a Bose 7-speaker audio system available as an option on the U.S. Mazda3 Grand Touring models. The U.S. Mazda website still has the '05 model listed, but I have personally seen the Bose stereo in one at a dealer. If you look on Edmunds.com, you can also see it as an option (package is Moonroof, 6-CD & Bose).
  • Options
    Mine does also, no micron air filter. So if your car is parked all day in a dusty area and you turn the air on you will get a lot of dust,dirt coming into the car. Add a micron filter
  • Options
    smrtiesmrtie Member Posts: 2
    The micron filter is now included if you get the air conditioning option in 2006 Canadian 3's.

pedro
  • Options
    does anyone find the headrest uncomforable?
  • Options
    the tires are rated at 280. i would like to know how long they last?
  • Options
    ... That would be twice as long as a tire by the same manufacturer rated at 140, and half as long as a tire by the same manufacturer rated at 560. There's a good primer on tire ratings at tirerack.com:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48

Meade
  • Options
    does anyone find the headrest uncomforable?

Er, nope, not in 10,000 miles so far. Tell me, do you own a Mazda3? I keep reading these kind of "Does anyone ..." posts from you, but I never hear why you're asking these questions. Are your headrests uncomfortable?

Meade
  • Options
    I have a 2005 that has the squeaky brakes. I found a TSB on the internet for a fix for the 2004 and 2005 dated June17/2005. But I was told that the TSB is for the cars sold in the U.S.
    If the cars sold here in Canada have the same problem I don't know why Mazda does not extend the TSB into Canada. I just don't get it???? Anybody here have the problem with their brakes? If so did Mazda fix them?
    Thanks
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I have 15,800 miles on the stock 205 50 17 Goodyear tires - I just rotated them for the 3rd time - the front have 5/32 tread left - rears have 3/32. At 2/32 tires should be replaced.

In the last 5K miles (before I rotated) the tires on the front went from 7/32 down to 3/32 - rear went from a hair over 6/32 down to 5/32.

I am guessing I will get close to 20K before they need to be replaced - but at this point if I get a flat or have any problem - I would just get 4 new tires.

I have no complaints with the dry performance of these tires - although they are a little loud on some roads - but wet traction is a joke - I have never driven with them in the snow - if I lived some place that had snow - and wanted to keep living - I would dump these tires.

If Goodyear called me and told me that I had won 4 new tires I would put them in my trunk and try and get Discount tire to take them as a trade for better tires.
  • Options
    take it easy, dude, the reasons why i am asking these questions is cuz i want to know, i don't own a mazda 3 but i am in the market for a compact sedan, and sometimes i get to ride in my friend's mazda 3. thanks.
  • Options
    ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    Autonomous, yes, it is very very common. Checkout local Canadian forums. A/C issue is NOT corrected. Dealers may go on and say there is no problem or it's normal, just like they said the same thing about the jerking auto tranny in 1st to 2nd when cold. They finally admitted this was a problem and have a brand new just released PCM update but nothing for the A/C.

Anyhow, this problem with the A/C and how it is not being addressed is not surprising. I printed out a Bulletin that talked about diffuser plates and showed it to my dealer because the dealer and mechanic had no idea what a diffuser plate was. I didnt get a call-back.

The service manager at another dealer admitted that it is normal for the 04/05 A/C to be on the "warm" side. I didnt ask about the 06's. He suggested using the 2 or above setting. There is no fix right now, as he knows it from Mazda Canada. The compressor recycles every 10-12 seconds...the same as the 04's. Problem fixed? Hardly!

I still want someone to checkout my car to see if I have diffuser plate installed. I know many other people who have Mazda3's (04/05's) and yes, they do have Mazda clubs and meets; all agree, the A/C sucks. I would say that they would be an accurate representation compared to what may or may not be posted here.
  • Options
    mandymusikamandymusika Member Posts: 42
    hey guys,
    looking at an 06 sport GT model with the luxury package, moon roof etc, fully loaded. i have been quoted $27K not including GST. What price is everyone paying? Anybody know what invoice is? I can only find US sites for invoice and such. ON the US forum they are saying they are getting invoice quotes from dealers online, does anybody know of any canadian sites where I can compare prices and get quotes that are closer to invoice? All the dealers here in Edmonton are just quoting MSRP and i'm only getting about $1000 off of that.
    thanks all
  • Options
    i would to know what size do u use for winter tires? do u go down an inch? which tires do u recommend? how much do pay for a set of 4 with rims? thanks
  • Options
    mathguy314mathguy314 Member Posts: 1
    Went to the dealer and picked up my 2005 Mazda3 Sport GT on the weekend. I was going to go for the 2006 as the only 2005 I could find in B.C. with the options I wanted was not in my preferred colour. I thought that if I went to a 2006 it would be easier to find what I wanted. Turns out that I would have to wait until January to get a 2006. It seems that the Sport GT with a 5-speed and no moonroof or luxury package isn't a popular model for the dealers to order.

Anyway I'm quite happy with the 2005 and the colour is starting to look better (Silver). I think I got a pretty good deal as the bottom line with all taxes, levies, PDI etc. came to $25,499 and this included the VIP package of free oil changes for life and a set of anti-theft wheel lugs

Great fun to drive but my wife and I are having to fight for the right to drive it to work.
  • Options
    Congratulations!

The deal (bottom line with all taxes, levies, PDI etc. came to $25,499 and this included the VIP package of free oil changes for life and a set of anti-theft wheel lugs) was good!
  • Options
    Anybody used this service? What are your thoughts, experiences? Did you save alot of money using it? Are their other invoice pricing companies that are good? I'm finding that our fellow Americans are using these types of services alot more than us Canadians. Maybe they just have more companies offering this than we do? Thanks.
  • Options
    I checked with Mazda Canada a week and half ago about an update PCM for the auto tranny. Their reply, NO UPDATE. So should I call them again and ask, I know the dealer will be no help. Also, I have the brake squeak in the morning while backing and in forward. Again asked Mazda Canada about a TSB for a fix. Their answer, the TSB only applies to U.S. models. Car built in Japan and sold in North America, go figure. Also the A/C sucks in my car but Mazda says it is normal, within specs. In other words the specs are set to match the system. Tbeir fix..tint windows, use a front windshield thing, set fan speed at 2, roll windows down a few inches, set at recirc, drive 10 minutes roll windows up, etc etc. Another excuse is the black dash, get a dash cover, but my fix..make an kick butt system since they know the car is made with a black dash..duh. Feel sorry for those with a black car and leather.....ouch
    05 GT GFX Auto ....
  • Options
    05 GT, GFX, AUTO, SEDAN. no leather. $23500 JUST add taxes only, nothing else. What is the luxury package?
  • Options
    Anyone have any idea when the 2006 mazda GS will be ready here in canada.
    I was told over a month ago they would arrive by October???
    I hope I dont have to wait till christmas to purchase it.
    Just wondering what anyone else has heard anything from their local dealership?
    Thanks
    Franca
  • Options
    5zooms5zooms Member Posts: 2
    Mazda 3 2006 GS is here in full strength in time for late fall sales. What package you looking for.... which province u from
  • Options
    5zooms5zooms Member Posts: 2
    Save your money

Car Cost indeed costs. There are other sources of info to get cost pricing on cars without paying for it.......

Zoom
  • Options
    I am from Northern Ontario.
    I checked the dealership today and all they have are one or two GT's left and a whole bunch of Mazda 6's that is pretty much it.
    They told me sometime in October they would be here.
    I was just curious.
  • Options
    curlboycurlboy Member Posts: 1
    We picked up our 06 GT about 3 weeks ago.
    Got a question about the trip computer. Ours does not show anything but "-------" for km's remaining. Is there something I'm doing wrong or what?
    Alberta.
  • Options
    and what websites would these be? please help me out here. thanks.
  • Options
    Hi There,
    I was wondering if I can ask you a favour if you dont mind?
    I live in Ontario and am dealing for a Mazda 3 GS sand mica with power package automatic with air conditioning.
    If you have bought your car already, how much discouint did you finally recieve off the MSRP price?
    Could you provide me a copy of your invoice with the final price so I can show my dealer
    that I mean buisness and this way he will give me the price I want on the vehicle?
    If I could get that from you I sure appreciate it much.
  • Options
    barnee61barnee61 Member Posts: 67
    Mandy, I've used Carcostcanada to purchase several vehicles and found it was great. You can download a printout which clearly shows the MSRP of the vehicle and all options versus the dealer cost. It also has information re other profit areas such as percent dealer holdback from the manufacturers.

Once the dealer knows that you know the true cost, negotiations go a LOT quicker and are a lot less stressful. You get to negotiate UP from the cost of the vehicle, rather than DOWN from the MSRP.

I've used the service re the purchase of a Chevy Blazer, a Chev Tracker, and a Hyundai Tiburon. I've also got printouts for several friends (Subarus, Honda, Volkswagens). I would personally never go into a dealer ever again without knowing the true cost.

As to the other sites where 5zooms said you can get information, I'm not sure what he's referring to. I don't know of any site which offers Canadian cost info for free. (If he can provide the links, I'd really like to check them out.) The Carcostcanada rates (I believe) are quite reasonable.

Another thing you could consider is using www.dealfinder.ca. The guy running it really knows his stuff, he charges a fee of $149, gets you the car you want at a very low cost, and you don't have to negotiate at all. It's a good option to consider if you know exactly what you want, and you're goal is getting a good price. I've never used dealfinder myself as I kind of enjoy going in and giving the dealers a hard time (after getting the cost from carcostcanada), but I know people who have used his service and have been very happy with it.

Good luck with your purchase!

Barnee :)
  • Options
    I just tried car cost canada myself and got the real price they pay for the car.
    It does have also over 850 dollars in rebates and allowances on top of the dealer invoice which can work to my advantage.
    Thanks Barnee for you suggestion I am ready to go into the managers office tommorrow and talk to him with more confidence on dealing with the price for this car.
    This was an awsome suggestion!
    You pay 39.95 at carcostcanada.com but you get quotes on 5 cars so it can assist you with other purchases in the future.
    Thanks much
  • Options
    does it give you the quote right away? what other info do they give u?

.....it sounds like carcostcanada is worth its 40 bucks?
  • Options
    thank you so much for you imput. it looks to be a great service, i have bought 8 vehciles in the past 10 years and this would have been nice to know about. i will check out dealfinder.ca as well. i do know exactly the car i want, what options i want, and i just want the best price so this could be a great alternative as well. i hate dealerships and if i can avoid the whole process i would. like i said, i've bought 8 vehicles! lol. thanks for your imput. how much have you likely saved do you figure by using the service (for just the mazda i mean). thanks.
  • Options
    barnee61barnee61 Member Posts: 67
    How much you save depends on the vehicle (highly marked up luxury vehicles, obviously you will save more than if you're looking at a low-end entry vehicle (Accent, Echo) without much markup). Also, with certain hot new cars that are in demand, your bargaining power may be lower or nonexistent. The Mazda 3 has been around long enough, and is in sufficient supply, that with the correct cost information you should be able to negotiate a smokin' deal. I've had great success with it. The salesman at GM that I've dealt with for years now knows that when I walk in the door, there's no point doing "the dance"...so the process goes a lot quicker and a lot less stressful.

As I said, I've never used dealfinder, but I've heard good things. It's a one man operation, a guy named Bob Prest in Orleans (Ottawa) Ontario. If you hate dealers, calling him is not a bad idea at all. I'll be buying a Toyota Yaris in June 06, I know exactly what I want, so will probably use him this time around.

Cheers
    Barnee :D
  • Options
    i just went back to carcostcanada and looks like they have a service that will locate the car for you at the price you speficy (simiar to dealfinder.ca). the difference between the two that i can see is that carcost canada charges $99 (i think this is on top of the $39 for the report) to locate a dealer willing to accept your price. this fee is paid when the locate a dealer willing and secure the sale (if no dealer is found you do not pay). dealfinder charges $149 upfront. it doesn't seem you can specify the price you want to pay, they just say they will find you a deal better than what you can get yourself. if you dont like the deal, you still pay the $149.
    has anybody used carcost canada to make a deal with a dealer? they call it the "take it or leave it" service.