Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• RicksterRickster Member Posts: 40
    Even though it is not listed on Edmunds, I believe there is some kind of dealer incentive in the $1500-2000 range on T5s right now. I just bought a 2005 T5 with premium, audio, climate and bi-xenons for $27.8.

Why would deals be better in the summer than they are right now when there are these incentives, dealers need to make numbers, and showroom traffic is slow because of the holiday season?

Regardless, it's a wonderful car -- far more refined, sporty and solid than any Saab I've ever been in. Handling is wonderful, power is great, turbo-lag is minimal and the sound system rocks my world. Why wait?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Why would deals be better in the summer than they are right now when there are these incentives, dealers need to make numbers, and showroom traffic is slow because of the holiday season?

IIRC, the Volvo model year ends pretty early - around May and the next year's model starts rolling in around July hence the potential for better deals in the summer.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    "I'm considering an S40 along with the Saab 9-3 Linear or 9-2X.

But I'd need to keep a 2.4i pretty stripped to make it 'affordable'. Manual tranny, maybe sport package or Xenons, that's about it."

They're all bad choices! The 9-3 is good for nothing -- neither comfy nor great handling -- & only excels in crash tests like the side-curtain head protection. Both the 9-3 & all Volvo's excel in whiplash protection. The new S40 probably beats any Saab in driver's-legs protection for head-on's 'cause even the S60 can't match.

The 9-2X is a Subaru that rides less comfy than the AWD S40/V50 while handles hardly better -- see Motor Trend.

& the new S40 rides comfortably as long as you slow down on the deep ones such as speed bumps.

But once you add the stupid sport suspension, the ride will suffer so badly you might as well get the Mazda3 2.3 that revs less noisy than the S40 2.4i's 5-cyl.

& for someone w/ limited budget like you, is the bi-xenon worth the extra $? I chose to get the '05 Focus ST 2.3(Mazda engine) & found the low beam very good as long as the std fog lights are aimed at the same level.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    It would be the DSTC. This legendary "Focus ESP" system does not intrude into your performance-handling driving style. So you are not likely to turn it off.

It does help you on slick unfamiliar curvy roads, especially in the dark w/ limited visibility.
  • rcosperrcosper Member Posts: 3
    As a first time buyer, I'm looking for a little advice.

I'm commissioning in the Air Force this coming May and need some wheels. I've been looking around at the T5 and was wondering if it's wishful thinking to get this car, equipped with leather, heated seats, and a moonroof for $25,000 total (includiing tax, title, tags)? So far USAA has offered me 3.59% financing. What's the chance of this happening?
  • nopsamnopsam Member Posts: 2
    I've been shopping for a lease on a 2005 S40 about a 10 days and finally signed the contract yesterday. I was originally looking for a manual 2.4i with a moonroof, but this turned out to be very hard to come by in the LA area (I tried 4 dealers). My only option was to have a dealer install an aftermarket moonroof or go with an automatic.

I ended up with a T5 with 6 speed manual, Premium package, Convenience Package, Audio Package (Premium) and the Sports Package. Oddly, my price on this was LOWER than for a basic 2.4i with an aftermarket moonroof! Must be some good dealer incentives on the T5 right now.

I paid $3500 down, then $259.66/mo + tax for 36 mo with 12k/yr, $.18 per mile over.

Best quote I got on a 2.4i with premium package was $2000 down, 284.55 + tax for 39 mo with 12k/yr.

Pretty happy with the T5, even if it is more car than I wanted!
  • andrea77andrea77 Member Posts: 1
    hi everyone.. i'm hoping to buy a s40 in a few months..

robr2, or anyone that might know: when was the 2005 released? i'm hoping (as you mention) to get a better deal on a 2005 when next year's models roll in .. i called a dealership and was told that these cars were *just* released. i dont think i could wait nearly another year!

also: should i expect to have good rates on car insurance owning a volvo, considering they are reknowed for safety?

thank you in advance!!!

-andrea
  • RicksterRickster Member Posts: 40
    I have had good experience with insurance and the S40. It replaced a 2000 Passat and my insurance went down.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    Never EVER put $$$ down on a lease.
  • awd_driverawd_driver Member Posts: 5
    Just picked up a V50 in New Hampshire for $30257- Could've gotten it a bit cheaper from a non local dealer, but this price is fair.

Included T5 AWD, Premium package, Climate, Metallic Paint.

Drove it to Maine and back - really comfortable and a blast to drive. Was driving a Legacy - looked at Outbacks and Passats - Glad I decided to go with the V50
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    Has anyone gotten a new S40 via overseas delivery recently? How was it?
  • beaunedocbeaunedoc Member Posts: 15
    After having xenons on my Audi, they were a must on my S40. I think that they're great! By the way, I am very pleased with my S40 awd 6-speed. While it's not a hot rod, it is a beautifully constructed car and a joy to drive daily! beaunedoc
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Has anyone recently bought any variant of the S40 in Western Canada? Any factory cash incentives? Are dealers eager to deal?
  • aeaneasaeaneas Member Posts: 2
    Hey ppl,

I'm about ready to buy an S40 T5. I've read a little about the delivery abroad program and spoke with the Volve rep at the recent Auto Show here in town.

I'd like to get this list of info or the links to where I can find it myself:

I was told the mark off on S40s on Overseas Deliveries is 8% of RETAIL. Is this correct?

Are prices negotiable on Overseas Delivery cars?

What are some prices paid on Automatic, Select Package T5s?

Thanks in advance!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Check out www.volvocars.us and look for the overseas delivery program.

You get appx 8% off the list of the base vehicle and all options are MSRP. Volvo throws in 2 tickets to Sweden and one night stay along with transfers.

Typically prices are non-negotiable since the dealer is paid a flat amount by Volvo for processing the order. Also, the 40 and 50 series is a low profit vehicle.

Good luck.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    We've also got a European Delivery discussion that you might find helpful.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• acenholeacenhole Member Posts: 4
    i have a deal on the table for my wife, any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

No money down, 355/month for 36 months at 15k.

Silver

automatic

2.4i

moonroof

t-tec seats

*select package, i believe is what they call it.

Thanks in advance
    Hi acenhole - you didn't mention the selling price or MSRP of this car. These are important for you (and us) to know for two reasons. First, the selling price of a leased vehicle can be negotiated, just as if you were purchasing it. Without knowing this car's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate the lease payment.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

MSRP: 28420

Sale price: 23000 destination charge included.

Residual: 14120

Lease payment: 355

36 months

15k miles

thanks for your feedback.
    So basically, you are financing $8,880 over three years (23000 - 14120). Without including interest & taxes (assuming they're rolled into the payment), your payment would be $247/month. If sales tax is included in the $355 monthly rate, it seems like a good deal. If it doesn't include sales tax, then you should be aware that you're paying about a 7% interest rate.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• rtlltjrtlltj Member Posts: 3
    Anyone go through the college graduate program with volvo? just curious to see what kind of deal/financing you can get.
    thanks for the advice...we went with the deal.

very sharp vehicle. we couldnt be happier.
  • nopsamnopsam Member Posts: 2
    I used the $500 recent graduate manufacturer's rebate towards a lease on a 2005 S40 on 12/29/04. Was taken off my down payment. I didn't mention the rebate until after I'd negotiated the vehicle price.

EC
  • veteranveteran Member Posts: 2
    DEALERS DO NOT HAVE TO BEG FOR PEOPLE TO BUY THESE S40'S!! EXPECT TO GET ABOUT 1K OFF THE MSRP DUE TO SUPPLY AND DEMAND.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Please stop typing in ALL CAPS - people think you are screaming at them.
  • manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    I think he was screaming at everyone since he included exclamation points at the end of his sentence. I would guess he's a Volvo salesman trying to increase his profits any way he can.

Just to let everyone know, there's no incredibly high demand for these cars compared to the supply. Otherwise, why would Volvo have a $1500 dealer cash incentive on this car?

This ain't no Mini.
  • lilylily Member Posts: 10
    Hi, dbeischer, looks like you got very good price on your T5. We get a offer for 2004.5 S40 T5 with premium,climate,audio package, auto transmission for $26,900, we expected 26k. yes, we will buy a 2004.5 car in 2005. do you think it is a good deal or we still can go lower?

anybody know what is the difference between 2005 S40 and 2004.5 model?
  • manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    According to Edmunds, the MSRP for the 2005 version of that car is $33,100, with an invoice price of $30,900. I would say $4,000 below invoice is a hell of a good price.
    Thank you for the advice. If this is the quote for 2005 version, we would take it right away. But this is for last year version. As reported by consumer report,a last year model car should be $2000-$4000 less. Also we have seen people here got better deal than this in last year. I am confused how did you guys get so good deal even in 2004, but we just can not even reach the same price in 2005 , for a 2004.5 car!

also we got a offer today on a 2004.5 S40 T5 loaner car , 4835 miles, premium, climate, audio package, $24,9000. we didn't take it.
  • billherrmannbillherrmann Member Posts: 108
    That loaner car deal looks good to me. Is it anywhere near Philadelphia, Pa.? Bill H.
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    The 2004.5 and 2005 are the same models. What you are referring to applies to the situation when the model is changed, like S40 2004 and S40 2004.5/2005.

The main reason that you can get a dipper discount on 2004.5 is that the dealer does not want to keep cars in the inventory for long time, as it decrease it;s profitability and effects the cash flow.

So, if the car in the short supply, the dealer will not have much of push to loose money on a deal. But keep pushing... You never know.
    Bill, we are in chicago. We found out almost every dealer has more than one S40 loaner cars. The key is bid on new car first, when they see they can't reach our price, they will bring in loaner cars, ask seeing it before you bid on it, be picky. then they may try to "comfort" you. The loaner car they offered $24,9000 still has some space on price, I think we can make a deal on $24,500. but my hubby doesn't want a used car, so we didn't even bid on it. For me, I can exchange 5000 miles for $2000. so that car is still in our list. will let you know if we decide leave it.
    lily, do not be so naive and listen to your husband. I will not touch a loaner car with the 20 foot poll. People has absolutely no respect to the rental cars. You can be sure, that those cars have been abused any possible way you can push car to the limit. That what my first hand experience with many people is - they use rentals and loaners for the "extreme" test drives.

I will rather buy a used car from the person whos driving habits I personally know.

And just as MHO, if $400 matters so much to your then you are bidding for a wrong car.
    Thank you lev. I checked kkb, same model car with same miles on 1 year early has only $1000 difference. so we will aim $1000 less instead of $3000. Thanks for your response, we will aim on a much reasonal ,easier price;)

We also has a offer on a loaner car, my husband doesn't like this loaner or demo car idea because he thinks engine break-down period is very important, later we will spend more than $2000 on the loaner car on repair; But our mechanic said this shouldn't become a problem. I have no idea on this issue. anybody can give me an answer and explain to me? Appreciate in advance.
    I will site with your husband. I do not believe in particular break-down period, but I will not red-line (run at the maximum speed) either. The maximum speed CAN inflict unrecoverable damage to the new engine which will shorten the life of it in the future. In some extreme cases it also CAN inflict very serious damage to the vital internal parts that can fail completely (crack) after very short period of time.

And with the demo (less) and the loaner (more) it is very possible that people were testing the limits of the car, especially for the new models like S40.

Personally, I will pay extra $1000 to make sure that I am the first owner of a new car.

Otherwise, I will buy a used car from a known source.
    lev, you are the expert! My husband is so happy with your answer:), thanks for your post, now all loaner and demo cars are eliminated from our list:) we are also considering OSD since we want DSTC and GPS but none of the dealer has them on S40.

Bill,if you still want the dealer name of that $24,900 loaner car, give me your email address, i will send to you. by the way, that is a red car with beige leather.
    Thanks for the kind words, and thank for the info, but I have bought my two newer Volvos through the OSD (that I highly recommend, by the way) and am pretty sure that will continue doing just that - we have tentative plans to buy S40/V50 for my older daughter in 2006 and replace my S80 in 2008. The only question is - what is our route through the Europe going to be...

DSTC is great and it is on a "must have" list for us. We opted out of nav.system twice. It seems too expensive for the limited number of times that we will travel through the uncharted territory. Map Quest or MSN Maps work just fine for us.

My e-mail is published.
    Thank you lev. You are so nice to answer and explain to me on my every question. You are very helpful.

I have three more questions.

1)since S40 already has STC as std, a sales agent told us DSTC is an "overkill" in america since our highways are most straight,DSTC is for Europeans where they have many curves on road; he said for a driver like me, never speed,DSTC is not a necessary. In your last post you said "DSTC is a must have" for you, we would like to know why do you think so? what is the benenfit of DSTC beyond STC? If it is really a "must have", our only option would been left to OSD.

2)is OSD price negotiable? in European Delivery forum, I found out BMW ED price is negotialbe, somebody got $7000 off MSRP ED price for a 330i,do you think it can be applied on volvo also?

3)After you picked up your new volvo in Europe, as I know you could drive it there. If so, it would be great that travel in Europe by a new car. IS OSD price covered insurance in Europe or you had to find one and paid by yourself?

thank you very much for your time and help. My husband and I both appreciate your posts very much.
    1. Your sales person just wants to close the deal on a car from the inventory, as they do not make any money, except for the small flat fee on OSD. In a few words - the DSTC is ten times more usefull in the city driving during the Chicago winter. It

a. Works during the braking, while STC is not

b. Can compensate for the driver's errors during the turn.

etc., etc. It makes a difference between the very mediocre traction control of STC and state of the art (one of the best, if not THE best ) DSTC. You can search the S60 and XC90 forum here for the DSTC. We had a lot of technical discussions about it.

One of the examples, when STC will not help while DSTC will is the very common emergency avoidance maneuver (swirl and/or brake to get around the obstacle) under slippery conditions. You do not need to drive in Europe to get to such situation.

2.No it is not. You buy the car directly from Volvo bypassing the dealer. The dealer makes just a small flat fee. And read some of the postings with the grain of salt. The Volvo OSD savings are about 8-10% of MSRP off the base and no discounts on the packages. You also save for not paying destination charge. You will save about $2700 on a $25K car. The volvocars.us website has all the info on OSD. All the info is very accurate. They mean what they say.

3. 15 days of insurance is included into the price. Additional insurance is arranged at the time of the order (you need to mention it) and is very reasonably priced. I have paid $85 for the 1 month extended insurance for XC90. S40 should be even less.

http://www.volvocars.us/FinancialServices/Overseas/CarsInProgram/- S40.htm
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    It looks like OSD price is pretty close to the invoice price, so wouldn't this really only save a few hundred dollars over the price one could get by negotiating with a dealer?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Couldn't you order a car with DSTC if you want that option?

This site has all sorts of info on stability control systems:

http://www.esceducation.org
    You are right. The OSD price is slightly bellow invoice and the destination charge is not required. But how many people did buy S40 at the invoice?

The OSD is good for the new models + you get your extra savings on the trip portion, if you have planned the Euro vacation in the near future anyway.
    Just remember that what is called ESC on this web site is DSTC, but not the STC on Volvo.
  • laineylainey Member Posts: 62
    Hellix wrote - "Got the following Volvo S40

-2005 S40 2.4i

-Silver Color

-Premium Package

-Sport Package

-Convence Package

-Climate Package

-Extras...Waste Bin, Touch-up Paint, First-Aid Kit, Eye Glass holder, Mud Flaps

I paid $24580

Had to really fight for the price but edmunds TMV is way too high".

Awesome price Hellix! I am taking the email approach. I am playing 4 dealerships off of each other. So far, I'm down to an offer of $24,000 on the '05 automatic metallic 2.4i with Premium Pack. Two other dealerships said "no problem" beating that price! Now I wonder if I should ask for additional packages thrown in to sweeten the incentive to buy from them. It's only been been two days of email "bargaining". Guess it can't hurt? Has anyone gotten comperable offers? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • wsm_devonwsm_devon Member Posts: 4
    23799.00Sales Price after rebate (before tax and registration)

For a new (not demo or loaner):
    2004.5 S40 T5 Red with Black Interior
    Premium Package
    Sport Package
    Climate Package
    BiXenon
    Geartronic Transmission

Does this look like a good deal? And how does a 2004.5 compare with a 2004 S40 T5?
  • wsm_devonwsm_devon Member Posts: 4
    The price is 27399 not 23799 ... still is that good price?
  • tangolimatangolima Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

Got a dealer quote for a 2005 volvo S40 T5 AWD with the following options:

- 5 speed automatic transmission
    - Select Package
    - Dynamic Trim Package
    - Climate Package
    - Bi-Xenon
    - DSTC
    - Convenience package

(I nicely loaded car with color "passion red")

Dealer quote including all options + destination charge was: $32,545

Can anybody tell me if this is a decent deal or not?

A quick comparison (including all above options + destination charge) shows:
    MSRP: 35,695
    Invoice: 33,250
    Edmunds: 33,835
    OSD (based on 8% off MSRP): 33,441
    Dealer quote (once again): $32,545

It must be said that the dealer is giving me the full manufacturer to dealer incentive, which is currently $1850 for this model volvo.

Any feedback is highly appreciated.
  • carbertcarbert Member Posts: 23
    Your OSD price sounds a bit high.

Base: 24,510
    Automatic: 1,200
    Select (in combination w/ dynamic trim): 1,535
    Dynamic trim: 2,025
    Climate: $625
    Bi-Xenon (in combination w/ climate): 443
    DSTC: 695
    Convenience: 405

Total OSD price: $31,438

Also, right now, they are offering the premium package for $495. So, you could drop the select package (-$1,535) add the premium package (+$495), add the audio package (+$845). You'd be losing the Sagitta wheels, gaining leather seats, and saving $195.
  • tangolimatangolima Member Posts: 2
    Hi Carbert,

Thanks for the feedback.

How did you get the base price on the OSD so low?
    I used the MSRP posted on the volvo website (which is $28,170) and subtracted 8% for OSD. This came out to be $25,916. After adding destination charge I came to a base price of $26,611.

The options under the OSD program are full MSRP, which I found were as follows (from volvo website):

- Automatic: 1200
    - Select (combo dynamic trim): 1537
    - Dynamic trim: 2025
    - Climate (combo Bi-Xenon): 368
    - Bi-Xenon: 700
    - DTSC: 695
    - Convenience: 305

TOTAL Options: 6830

TOTAL base price: 26,611

GRAND TOTAL OSD: 33,441

My options come to $98 less but my base price is $2101 more than yours. Am I forgetting something or omitting some crucial incentive/discount??

Thanks for the alternative option suggestion but my wife really doesn't like leather seats. I tried the T-tec yesterday at the dealership and I liked it so I won't be going for the leather seats. Good tip though, I was not aware that the premium package was on offer.

Any ideas on my dealer quote? Does $32,454 sound like a good dealer price? :)
  • carbertcarbert Member Posts: 23
    Sorry, I missed the AWD in your post. The special premium package offer isn't available on the AWD, by the way. Volvo posts the OSD price list on their site. The AWD base price is $26,170, for a total OSD price of $32,998. There is no destination charge when purchasing through OSD.

I can't comment on your dealer quote. Sorry.
This discussion has been closed.