Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2005+

Comments

• rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Audi on your new Avant. But to tell everybody never to buy an Audi and lambash the whole brand is not fair.

A car is a piece of machiney, and every maufacturer has their share of problems. Whether it's Honda, Toyota, Audi, or anybody else.

Audi has really stepped up on quality in the last several years, and they're only a few points behind Infinity, Lexus, & Acura in intial quality according to consumer reports.

Your car may have indeed been a lemon and I'm not trying to diminish your frustration. Have the dealer buy it back and get something else.
  • gunter1gunter1 Member Posts: 5
    I've been trying to have the dealer take it back and return my money the first time it broke down (on the 2nd day of ownership!); have talked with Audi customer advocates - and it appears that it is not even an option. Recently, I got a response from the corporate office and from Germany that the dealer has not agreed to take it back because everything was done under the warranty, and if the car keeps breaking down the only thing they can do is honour the warranty. This is ridiculous!

If I buy, let's say, a brand new TV and it breaks down on the 2nd day and/or has continuous problems I simply take it back to the store I bought it from and return it. End of story.

With this car, it appears that I have become Audi's test driver, but i have to pay for it out of my pocket.

Well, that's my experience and unfortunately nothing will change what I thing of this brand.
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    I think that you need to determine if your car complies with any applicable lemon laws. Very sorry to hear of your experience... which certainly appears to be the exception rather than the rule. My first Audi had a few eccentricities but my current '02 Avant has been rock solid for four years. Hope my next Audi doesn't turn out like yours...

Byron
  • strato435strato435 Member Posts: 14
    I got around to test driving the 2005.5 A4 2.0T yesterday, and it was a dream. I'm an owner of a 1998 A4 1.8T, and have really enjoyed it.

Not surprisingly, the downside of my current A4 has been reliability, a problem that seems to plague Audi, and most German cars. Still, I'm seriously looking at another Audi (along with Volvo and Acura) to give them another chance! OK, I'm had two wheel bearings go with just 75k miles, an alternator, 2x brakes, gaskets and lots of belts... (So, why am I considering this? I guess it just drove so well compared to either the S60 or the TL!)

I'm wondering what new features will be in the 2006? I've heard that Bluetooth will be added: will that be part of a premium package? Anything else that makes it worth the wait? Any idea what the wait will be?

Thanks! ;)
  • bigpapalukebigpapaluke Member Posts: 108
    I know that the 06 model is changing some of their packages - at least that's the indication I'm getting by reviewing the pricing on edmunds. Here are some of the things that we know of thus far:

The 3.2 engine should become equipped with a manual transmission (yeah!!!)
    S-Line sports package - which is similar to last year's ultra sports package
    Bluetooth is an option and will be part of the technology package.

I'd contact your Audi dealer and ask about the 2006 availability. I haven't seen anything yet on Audi's website that suggests 2006 models are available, but you can order one now.
    the '06s are showing up at dealers now. My factory order A4 should arrive in two or three weeks.

Had: '99 A4 1.8t Avant (manual)... car had a few "issues".

Have: '02 A4 1.8t Avant (sports suspension, manual)... issues so far: in nearly four years one bulb over rear plate. Lucky? maybe!

Byron
    If you don't mind sharing, what options did you get on your 2006 A4? My next question is probably reserved for the Buying Experience forum, but what did you end up spending?
    The specs: Manual, Prem pack, Technology pack, Sun/moon roof, Sports suspension, Tire pressure monitor.... no money down, thousand over invoice (you can check the invoice at Edmunds). And I plan to trade my current car in which is where the dealer will probably make his $$$:)

This dealer has been extremely easy to deal with... but I must confess that I attempted to buy a '05 BMW 330i with the performance package at a great price (new) but some lucky stiff got to it first...

The A4 sure ain't cheap for a four-banger but it's all in the synergy.

Byron
    Thanks. That's pretty much my configuration except I'm going to opt for the Audio Package in lieu of the Tire Pressure Monitoring. Did you get the Tech package with Bluetooth? I just bought a bluetooth phone - all I need now is the car. :) Did you get one of the order only colors or did you go with their standard? How Dolphin Grey is not a standard is beyond me - that's a sharp color (I know this is purely subjective).

Finally, are you leasing or purchasing?

Thanks,
    Luke
    Yep, it comes with Bluetooth (although I presently don't have a bt device). Getting the Flipper grey... weird about that no longer being a "standard" color.

And I'm buying the sucker rather than leasing.

Cheers,

Byron
    I'll trade you the phone for the car. :)
  • mcmuneymcmuney Member Posts: 64
    I have a 2003 A4 3.0 CVT which I'm thinking of trading-in for a 2005/2006 model (are 2006 available yet). Anyhow, I just wanted to get some advice on the type of deal I can expect. I want to go into a 3 year lease on the new 3.2 CVT. Also, what can I expect for the trade-in?

Thanks in advance.
  • dbradley1dbradley1 Member Posts: 2
    Just ordered my 2006 A4 Q 3.2 Tiptronic - Dophin Grey
    Sweet car... All 06' models are at the port. They are only releasing them if they are marked "SOLD"
    Bose w/Sirius, Prem, Cold, Tech/ w/out Bluetooth... iPod adapter and Sunroof. Everyone was correct, Dophin Grey Metallic is special order only.
    The only thing I am unhappy about... I went to 3 different dealers and none of them have a picture, brochure or can really tell you anything about the A4 06'.
    Did 05.5 vs 06' change any interior? I guess I'll be surprised. I love how the A6 added the LCD screen standard with or without the Navi. I'm hoping that the A4 06' would have done the same, being its no longer the entry level Audi. But, I doubt it.
    Throw in an oh six 3 series BMW and you've got a deal :P

Byron
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    As the commercial goes: "I'm not a lawyer, but I do look like one." In my case, I'm not a lawyer but I am married to one.

So here is the straight advice and comment. This is a crying shame. However, the Audi advantage should minimize your issues -- if the car is unreliable, you should get a free loaner car (typically one just like yours or a last year's model A4.) I know it isn't yours but at least you should not have to make repeated trips. My brand new 2003 allroad spent 11 of its first 18 days in the shop for a problem with On*star (turned out the factory had connected the GPS and the On*star "backwards" or something like that.) I had a one year old A6 with less than 10,000 miles on it (and never been smoked in) car to use. I was not happy that I didn't have MY car, but I didn't have to fool around with multiple trips after the first trip, anyway.

So, you need to know what the lemon laws are in your area (and I assume they are difficult to find and understand but that they are available.) Then you need to see what documentation is required to exercise the lemon laws to reach the conclusion you want.

The DEALER cannot eat the cost of the car -- the dealer is a retailer -- the dealer probably doesn't have too much to do with the car's issues of manufacture. The dealer sort of has his hands tied. I got a new Sharp TV this weekend -- the box says "if this thing doesn't work, don't return it to the store where you bought it. . ." bla bla bla. Now Best Buy gives you 7 days to return it but after that -- you have to make the warranty claim, etc etc etc.

Here in Cincinnati, a person (who posted over on the A6 board) had a problem wherein his new A6 wouldn't run and no matter what the dealer tried it would not resolve the issue. Time passed. Let me repeat that -- time passed.

Time passed.

And, some more time passed.

In the mean time, he was given another 2005 A6 (the sales manager personal demo which was above the car that he bought and was having problems with) -- this is above and beyond. But the dealer did this for this guy.

Time passed.

Audi of America called him and said, tell us what you want and we will replace the car. I don't know all the details, other than what was posted here, and I may not have totally accurately conveyed the story. This was a Buy Back, not technically a lemon law car as I understand my wife's brief explanation of Ohio's Lemon Laws.

This was unfortunate -- but Audi came through. The guy was persistent. He was not difficult, but he did not give in or give up. He wanted the A6, perhaps if he wanted his money back 100% and wanted a Pontiac or something other than to be made whole with a new A6, things would have been different.

This story may not replay with you. The fact that this story happened SHOULD, under the circumstances, give you some encouragement.

You need to know what the applicable lemon laws are -- at least as a starting point. Thus far, based on my pea brain understanding of the lemon laws you do not have a lemon (at least in the state of Ohio, America.) Good luck!

:shades:
    Has anybody else driven the 2006 (2.0T's) yet?

The engine sounds a bit less noisy than the 05.5's, and the exhaust note sounds a bit sweeter as well.
    Shouldn't be any difference... perhaps you are simply adjusting to it?

Byron
    I drove both a 6 speed manual and a tippy 2006 2.0, and it definately seemed quieter and more refined than the 05.5. Some people have complained about excess engine noise on the 05.5's, and Audi may have tweaked the cars a bit for 06.
  • ekutekut Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know if you can hook up an ipod to a 05.5 w/ navi???
    Well, I'll know for myself in about weeks :)

Byron
    Arctic White has now been added as a stock color for dealer orders on the 2006 A4. It's no longer a sold order option.

Brilliant Black, Quartz Grey, Light Silver, Moro Blue, Brilliant Red, & Arctic White are stock color choices for 2006.

Ocean Blue, Dolphin Grey, Dakar Beige, & Liquid Blue are available as sold order colors only.
  • pd1pd1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I have an Audi A4 its a 05 1.8T multitronic. i have also been having problems with the remote locking. one minute it works the next it dosent. i had it back to the dealer twice but the problem is still there. my last car was an 04 model A4 and this had the same issue. i need help as i am at my witttttts end. i have been on to Audi and they are not aware (or so im told) that there is a problem with the remote locking..
    helPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPp
    Paul (Ireland)
  • javan69javan69 Member Posts: 17
    1. I have a 2005.5 with just under 800 miles on it. Not one problem.

2. Maybe it's just what they ship to Canada, you know, not quite the litigation rep. we have down here in whatever insult du jour you call us up there. We have lemon laws here. Trust me, a couple of nice letters from an attorney and you no longer own it.
  • bosox21bosox21 Member Posts: 6
    Is Audi improving on their reliability issues? Im looking into the new 06 A4 but dont want something thats going to be in the shop every week.
  • macmurdomacmurdo Member Posts: 31
    I called my dealer and told them that I had heard (on this forum) that there is an Audi Service Bulletin dealing with this issue. It only applies to a group of 05s that have VIN beyond some defined number. They replaced my keys with 2 new ones that look exactly like the originals. So far (1 week of use) and no problems.

Call your service manager and tell him/her to look up the bulletin.
  • nwalbertnwalbert Member Posts: 49
    1. 800 miles mean nothing.

2. It has nothing to do with what gets shipped where. If you look at Audi's reliability, it is horrible everywhere, it's a fact. Hopefully they have improved and yours will be a great car. I currently own a 2001 A4, and looked at getting the new one, but in the end though I don't want to take the chance so I spent a little extra and got the Bimmer. For me, I can no longer justify owning a /VW/Audi until they prove they have fixed their problems.
    I now have in my garage: 1 2003 Audi TT, 1 2005 Audi A6 3.2 and 1 2005 BMW X3.

Depending on my mood, my favorite is either of the 2005's.

With over two dozen Audis (between my wife, my company and me) since 1977, I have had some experience with Audi reliability. Our Audis have been very reliable -- one, one time, right after we bought it (a 1993 Audi 90 sport quattro, as I recall) had a DOA engine -- Audi took care of us and our only small issue was the moment at which it died.

Recently, the statistics -- availble on the WWW -- indicate that Audi, BMW and Mercedes have reliability statistics below some Japanese makes. However, the Audi -- at this snapshot in time -- is THE reliable German, NOT BMW and certainly NOT Mercedes.

This may change, probably will -- but going to BMW for reliability (at this time) was moving to a less reliable marquis, not the other way around.

Now in the past 30 years, we have had, including the one in our garage at this moment 2 BMW's (a 1988 325ix and the X3). The '88 had a premature dead battery and had brake pads and oil changes at the same intervals. The X3 at 5,000 miles is, thus far, flawless -- but so are the two Audis mentioned above.

The dealership can make all the difference too. Now, however, notwithstanding -- Audi dealers have a bad (not bum) rap (or bad REP, better said) against them, and from what I can tell, it is well-earned. BMW dealers somehow have managed to be "the good guys" -- but I do think Audi dealers have improved (but when you're in the basement, there's only two ways to go: sideways and up.)

The Audi products have, statistically, improved while the same has not been true of the other Germans.

Wait a moment. . . .

The shoe will soon be on the other foot, perhaps. :shades:
    I'm about to pick up my third Audi. My current '02 A4 Avant has been terrible. One bulb in the rear plate holder blew. Luckily I was still able to drive the car. Seriously, my '02 has been the most reliable car that I have owned (usual mix of Hondas, Acuras, Nissans). However I would rate my previous '99 A4 as only average. I went with another A4 after the '99 because I do like my dealer... a very important part of the equation.

Byron
    The blown bulb has been a well documented problem and one would think would be a cause for Audi to withdraw completely from the US market.

I have also had several flat tires and am fed up with Audis selection of them furin' tires -- oh wait, I had Goodyear's on the last one.

Well, the phone cradle on my wife's TT broke off its mount and it took two whole days to order the part -- I was verklempt.

That blown bulb will be the cause of my leaving Audi for sure.
    And the bulb replacement requires a special tool to disassemble certain components. I was hoping that I could learn how this is accomplished but the mechanic had a very thick accent and would only mutter under his breath...

...hope your experience with your present Audis goes well. I'm picking up my A4 in a couple of days :shades:

Byron
    Seriously, our 27 Audis and even our 2 BMW's have been pretty much trouble free.

The brake rotor problem in the 2000 and 2001 models are the only major issues we have ever had and I should add the brakes worked, they just warped the rotors every couple thousand miles (Audi ponied up 9 sets at no charge until they finally found a vendor that got it right.)

Those problems and some key fob battery problems (which were primarily annoying) have been the sum and substance of our Audi experiences.

You may have a terrible experience -- my bet would be that you will have a delightful experience (but the DEALER more than anything will make or break the experience.)

I must confess to having taken a liking to my wife's BMW X3 and the treatment at the BMW store in Cincinnati. But this is NOT meant to damn with faint praise my Audi dealer, here in River City -- The Audi Connection.

Audi has had spotty dealer issues and in the past couple of years have made great strides in righting some wrongs in this regard.

Audis are great to drive -- this alone would not mitigate completely a crummy ownership experience, but at the end of the day I would take the Audi driving experience and a wee bit of other issues over the Bland Boring Experience that some folks relate -- but with "perfection" with respect to reliability.

Actually, I want both a fun to drive car and reliability -- Audi is pretty good at this.
    My dealer in NE Ohio is pretty kicked back. Before ordering a car I do the numbers in Excel and see if what they propose (including the trade in) match up with my expectations. The last time we were within a couple of bucks while this time we were within six bucks. This was a factory order with no money down. Now I'll just try not to wreck my car before this Saturday.

The service department has been very good. They actually seem to listen. If I request my tires to be set at 37 psig, I can rest assured that they will be. The one issue that I do have is that they don't seem to keep much of a parts inventory on hand. My '99 A4 Avant had those exterior mirror heaters that came on and stayed on whenever the temp dropped near freezing. This resulted in about three blown mirror heaters. The dealer always had to order them. Certainly bits and pieces like that should be stock items.

----

But gotta say I very nearly went for the new BMW 330i. Great car... probably should have tried to drive the Bimmer back to back with the A4. Oh the heck with it! Who wants those run flat tires any ways :P

Byron
  • pd1pd1 Member Posts: 2
    i just got the car back after the second attempt to fix the locking problem. they replaced the keys with a new "upgraded" set (they seem a lot lighter) and now the alarm is not working.AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh
    Paul
    I'm looking at the same car. I test drove the 2005.5 2.0T last week, and really enjoyed it!

Problem is I'm the owner of a 1998 A4 1.8T Quattro now -- and while driving the car gives me a great deal of joy, I'm frustrated with reliability (or the lack thereof). I've meticulously maintained this car, and it's actually got pretty low mileage (75k), yet I've had some doozies over the years. I had the heater block leak, and fill the passenger compartment with radiator fluid, not a pleasant experience on a long trip!

Last month I had to replace a wheel bearing for $1100 & this month I've got another wheel bearing that needs replacement. In fact, the dealer gave me a $2700 estimate for this and that. :cry: We all know you wouldn't get that sort of problem out of a Toyota or Honda, but we tolerate it because we'd prefer to drive an Audi!

So, as I prepare to buy another car, I'm asking the same question: has Audi's reliability improved? Because, when you're paying $35k for a car, it's fair to expect better!
  • giovanni1giovanni1 Member Posts: 106
    I currently have a 2002 225 TT that will be coming off lease shortly and sans the radio being replaced (under warranty) at 5K, I haven't had a single problem with her (knock on wood).
    I was just quoted a premium price for the Quartz Grey ($450 or so) on the 2006 A4...
    Strato435,

The reliability issue is a tough one. It is said that Audi has worked very hard to improve quality to "near-Japanese"' but we won't know until we get > 50,000 miles on our Audis. Because of that, I tend to dump mine prior to the warranty expiration. OTOH, if I planned on keeping my new A4 (picked it up yesterday) beyond the warranty, I would certainly price an extended coverage plan.

BTW, I know someone that has an S6 that's about 12 years old (not exactly sure of the model year) and he's hitting 230,000 miles. He's had little difficulty with his ride and still on the original turbo. Maybe he's the world's luckiest Audi owner :P

Byron
  • onkloud9onkloud9 Member Posts: 25
    I've searched this forum but I couldn't find anything about this...

Does anyone know what the drive bias is for the new generation of Quattro? I learned that the 2006 S4 has a 40%front/60%rear bias. Did the 2006 A4 quattro change? I am currently deciding between a 2006 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe and a 2006 Audi A4 2.0T 6MT quattro and love both cars. Unfortunately, the local Audi dealership only had the 2006 Front-Trak 2.0T A4's available for a demo.
    I'm pretty sure that the A4 is still 60/40, front/rear... between those two cars you can hardly go wrong...

Byron ('06 A4Q, manual)
    To my knowledge, the only 4 series cars that are 60/40 is the new 2006 S4 6 speed manual and the upcoming RS4. I thought all 2.0 and 3.2 cars are still 50/50.
    You know, I think that you are correct on that 50/50 split... I'd look it up but I'm too lazy.

Byron
  • mwhittmwhitt Member Posts: 69
    I know these are distinctly different autos, but the commonality is AWD which is a must for my location. I am down to these as choices, would prefer the A4, but have some concerns on reliability. I am coming off a Ford Explorer and am tired of the ride, boxy feel, etc...

I drive 170 miles a day, put about 40K miles on a car per year. I need to have some degree of confidence that I can get 5 years and 200K miles on a car and not be killed on reliability. I service cars regularly, don't neglect but don't want a lot of shop time, nagging stuff and extraordinary repairs.

I would like some opinions from Audi owners. People who have gotten this kind of mileage, etc.

Thanks
    The local dealership finally got an 2006 A4 6MT quattro for me to test drove... and I bought the only one on the lot (besides the grey demo):

2006 Audi A4 6MT quattro
    Black on ebony
    S-line package
    Sunroof
    Tech package w/Bluetooth
    Premium package

Woohoo!
    The S line package on the 06 model looks incredible. I like it even better than the S4.
    How did the price you paid compare to list?
  • craigp1craigp1 Member Posts: 17
    Do you have photo's of the S-Line car? I have not been able to see it? How is it different form the S4 (which I don't really care for on this model). I have an 06 A4 on order, but didn't get the S-line as it seemd like a lot of dough for a few cosmetic changes.

If you can, please post a photo.
    The S Line has the 18 inch 5 spoke wheels, sport springs, front end chin spoiler, painted rear spoiler, and S4-like lower doors skirts. There's also some nice stitching detail on the steering wheel and the satin alum. trim inside.

It's not cheap @ 3 grand, but it's really nice looking.
    At the moment, the A4's, A6's A8's and TT's offer only 50/50 torque split.

If they never changed this, it would be hunky dory with me -- for the real benefit that would accrue to Audi drivers would come from a better F/R weight distribution, perhaps a lot closer to 50 50 than the NOSE heavy distributions currently offered.

But, to shut the press up (primarily if you asked me, which you didn't), Audi gave in to the Rear Wheel Drive bias is best crowd.

Don't get me wrong, I am ALSO in favor of the RWD bias -- but since I assume this took engineering talent and time -- and MONEY, I would rather that Audi have put such resources into balancing out the car rather than something that I consider (I said "I" -- I am not speaking for the great journalists at all) more for show than go.

Give me an Audi with a near 50 50 weight bias and a 50 50 quattro drive line and leave the competition in the dust.

Better yet, give us both.

I say, more's the pity Audi chose to incorporate RWD bias for their AWD cars first.

But Audi didn't consult with me -- once again! :shades:
    I paid 1000 under MSRP. Couldn't get better than that.
    Has anybody else seen the new 2006 A4's w/ the wood package? The steering wheel is now 2 piece wood w/ shift knob as well.
This discussion has been closed.