Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

The Future of Saab?

Comments

• frenchriver1frenchriver1 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have any solid info on the newest Saab to allegedly be introduced in May 07?
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I haven't heard anything of a Saab coming out in May, as it would have hit the auto show circuit already.

I did read Automobile magazine a few days ago and they had an article about Saab's future plans; they said that a 9-5 hatchback has been confirmed (for 2009), along with a next-generation Opel Astra based 9-1, and a 9-4X crossover based on Lambda, I believe. (not too sure on that last one)
    OK, had it from a failry reliable source of something new in May. Shall let you know if it happens...
  • saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    I sell them for a living and have no idea what you're referring to.
    OK, let's just wait and see...
  • sweetseetsweetseet Member Posts: 9
    The new SUV is coming out in August, saw it in Vegas...cool, better than the 9-7x. 9-3 is going all wheel drive this fall but I bet the payments will be outrageous for a while. Waiting to see, interested but incentives usually surface at dealers in spring following a new product.

I have heard nothing on a hatchback remake......
    Unless your source is named Bob Lutz or Jay Spenchian,I think my access to Saab product introduction schedules is very likely more accurate than yours.As to any SUV you might have seen in Vegas...the only Saab SUV in Vegas would have been at the SEMA tuner expo and was the 9-7X Aero,a very moderately re-done version of the current model,fitted out with a lowered suspension and 24 inch chrome rims done by DUB...nice looking vehicle but readily apparent to anyone familiar with the 9-7x that it was hardly a replacement new model!
    we just have to wait and see.

A new SUV in August would make no sense unless the 9-7X was axed.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Edmunds, hasn't said hardly anything about Saab, in about 3-4 months. I wonder if any of you have seen any pics of the future products ?

Rocky
    I haven't seen anything, or heard anything.

I think they're laying low until the new 9-5, refreshed 9-3 (the 9-3 will be out in August) and from what I've read in Automobile magazine, there will be a 9-1 and a 9-4X, so if all that is true then I'm sure they have their hands full.

I'm interested to see when the 9-7X will be axed. Saab has probably learned its lesson that rebadging doesn't really work for them...
    Okay, I figured you jchan2, would know..... ;)

Rocky
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Something to chew on until the future arrives:

"Saab, the Swedish automaker that earned its wings from aviation, is celebrating its diamond anniversary this year with a number of special activities and events."

Saab 60th Anniversary Display in GM World (Straightline)

• swadetsswadets Member Posts: 1
    The only thing GM mentioned as being shown in August was a MY2008 production vehicle, which is the new 9-3 to be first shown in Sweden in June.

The 9-4x is still a year away to the best of my knowledge.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/21/spy-photos-new-saab-9-3-without-camo/

Spy Shots: Saab 9-3 sedan with no camo

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/04/spy-shots-saab-9-3-sedan-with-no-camo/

Like I said I'll take either or..... :surprise: :shades:

-Rocky
    Well I read that Saab is building a new 9-3 Convertible. I sure hope it has creature features like those in Cadillac's such as a very powerful 5.1-7.1 surround sound system, ventilated seats, voice recognition system with navigation, blue tooth, (XWD) All Wheel Drive with 4 Wheel Steering and yes I want the "Black Turbo" engine with 320+ horsepower. Throw in Delphi's Magnetic Ride Control shocks while your at it. Come-on Saab, deliver me a high performance XWD Convertible I've always wanted. I was looking at the Buick Velite Convertible and prayed it would get made but I would be just as happy if you guys made me a convertible. Give us the "gadgets" and Jet like Performance with bringing out a "Black Turbo" also known as "Viggen" around some circles. I want Saab, to be a successful part of General Motors, but these new products are so darn important. So the next 9-3 and 9-5 have to set some sort of standard. I've never owned a Saab, but I'd like to. Give me a reason to spend my hard earned money on one of your products. Yes give us the Safest Convertible in the world along with another safest Sedan in the world the 9-3 and soon to come re made 9-5. I sure hope Saab, would give us some photo's of the next 9-5 but I think I'll be plenty happy with a slick looking 9-3 convertible so please make this car right. I've seen the spy photos of the 9-3 and I like what I see. Now bring it here ASAP !!!!!

Thanks,

Rocky
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Yes give us the Safest Convertible in the world along with another safest Sedan in the world the 9-3 and soon to come re made 9-5.

lol. I'd be willing to bet against those claims. :shades:
  • grylexis300grylexis300 Member Posts: 53
    In the future Saab will continue its slide in the united states as long as toyota offers its lexus brand. but i don't want Saabs and jags and MB's being run out of town because i find it amusing when they round out the bottom of every car comparo in just about every magazine.
  • smokennedysmokennedy Member Posts: 8
    As a past and current owner of a Saab (900 SE turbo conv), I think they represent some real value and have many enduring features. That's why they've developed a good following. GM did dilute the brand somewhat but it does represent an opportunity for GM to really tweak the brand. Rockylee is right. Keep the safety (always better then Volvo), performance, fuel economy, and near luxury at a reasonable price and they'd have a winner. I was excited about the Saab/Subaru venture but that didn't pan out. My Saab gets 24-25 mpg around town with a sweet turbo purr and nothing else is like it! Otherwise, we'd all be in the same boring cars (camry comes to mind). Just my $.02 :)
    I love the pics I've seen of the 2008 Saab 9-3 convertible. If I can get through this major bump in my life I would still ike to buy one. I can't wait to see how much and what new features I will see on em' ???? ;)

-Rocky
    the refresh of the 9-3 for 2008 will be important, I feel that the 9-4X crossover in the works is more critical for Saab, as luxury crossovers are rather popular with American buyers.

Needless to say, I do like the 08 9-3 so far, but we'll have to see where GM decides to go on price.

I wonder when the 9-1 will finally be unveiled, and where it will ultimately be produced. I'm pulling for Trollhattan, but Russelheim, Germany makes sense also, given that Saab is using more Opel material...
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Saturday's Boston Globe had a long profile of Steve Shannon, the new Saab USA General Manager on the front page of the Automotive Section. If you didn't read the article and see the accompanying photo you wouldn't believe it. Then again, what has happened to Saab is generally speaking unbelievable anyway.

Saab's new USA General Manager is a 48 year old guy with more SAE 90 grease in his hair--I guess they call it Gel these days-than a college kid on a big date, whose last job was Buick General Manager. Knowing how Detroit thinks, this has got to be seen as a major demotion for him and indicates to me how much importance GM puts on the assignment. This is like the Pentagon sending the Commanding General of the 82d Airborne to run the Kansas National Guard division.

Our new GM, the keeper of the Saab flame, was asked if the Saab heritage was in good hands and if he can resist pressure to use more GM parts in Saabs. He says he can resist the pressure by using "under the skin parts and global architecture". Sounds like badge engineering to me. For those of you who don't recall, the British automotive industry went away in a hurry due to lousy cars, high internal labor costs, and little product differentiation.

He confirmed that 40% of Saabs US sales are in the six New England states. Exactly like Mack Truck: a mature, regional brand with little appeal beyond the vocational (e.g., refuse hauling) markets of the Northeast. Saab is a brand under serious attack because new, stronger entrants, Suburu from the bottom and Volvo from above, have entered the Saab "space".

That Saab, the original winter car (does anyone recall the OEM front cover that you snapped in over the front of the grill--like on a Class 8 truck-- on Saabs?) doesn't have an AWD option by now is criminal. Afterall, Suburu is all AWD all the time and Volvo is about to embark this fall with their new '08's with their THIRD generation of AWD wagons. In fact, Volvo has had AWD for more than 20 years and these guys can't even call Haldex and order up a similar system? Its nuts.

Good luck, Mr. Shannon. Maybe you could entice a private equity firm to take Saab off GMs hands and Jag off Fords hands and market it as the Northern European alternative to the Germans?
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    The only SAAB I would be interested in is the 9-3 convertible and then I would probably get the C70 convertible instead. You can get the hardtop C70 for about the same price as the top of the line 9-3.
    Saab, is going to offer AWD on all it's new models. They are calling their AWD system "XWD" but I don't know the details on it ????

-Rocky
    I thought that at first XWD would be limited to the Black Turbo Aero edition of the 9-3.

AWD makes sense though. Why Saab didn't do this 10 years ago bothers me...
    jchan2,

Well GM, is finally listening and I believe the future of Saab, will be a great one based on what I've read. I really think theiris a market for Saab,as they are still quirky and can compete well against European auto's. Saab, still has that safety image andwith gas prices rising a Black Turbo sounds better than a gas guzzling V8 :shades:

Just my $0.02 :)

-Rocky
    Before they go putting Black Turbos in every car, I think the 9-5 deserves a redesign. The platform it rides on right now is very dated, and while it's held it's own, it's probably time to retire it.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Gee the Black Turbo edition sounds interesting. Where can I read more about it?

I wonder whose AWD they are using? Haldex? Someone else's?
    There's this blog out there called trollhattansaab.net, and they've been receiving info for a while about the Black Turbo.

I believe they are using Haldex's AWD system, under the name XWD.
    I believe they are using Haldex's AWD system, under the name XWD.

That's what I believed also pal.....

blckislandguy, just Google 2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible and you will find info talking about it...... ;)

-Rocky
  • saabman2000saabman2000 Member Posts: 1
    when the shift linkage on a saab 900 breaks it will remain in 3rd gear as a safety feature in order to allow you to travel to the closest familure area and to get your car fixed. It will work for a short while like this but beware you may burn out your clutch
    Saab Rolls Out Aero Edition of its 9-7X SUV

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=121967

-Rocky
    Talk about dragging the brand through deeper mud.

Because nothing says swedish heritage like a big honkin Mericun V8 under the hood. lol, what a joke. :sick:
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Born From Trailblazers
    Envoy actually.

The Envoy used higher grade materials throughout compared to the trailblazer and that is what the 9-7X is based on.

Still stupid.

I have mentioned previously that sometime in the next year or so my wife and I want to get a convertible of some sort. Now we have a SAAB dealership in our autogroup and the 9-3 is a good convertible so I figured I would take a look at their inventory. They still have four NEW 2004 9-3 Sedans in stock. All of them were invoiced in April of 2004 so they are well over three years old. Yikes SAAB is in even worse shape then I thought. How much would you pay for a nearly four year old 9-3 sedan?
    Maybe that dealer still wants MSRP for them. Who knows?
    It is one of my dealers. I work for the same company believe me they don't want MSRP. There is just no demand for them. You can't sell something if no one is interested in it.
    Offer them under 25 grand. A used one of that vintage is worth below that.

link title

Brand new 2004 leftovers, wow. :surprise:
    There is an exception to every rule....in my area of the Northeast U.S. I doubt you could of found a leftover '04 9-3 anywhere after Jan.of'05! If this is a fact,then wouldn't it follow that this dealer would still have leftover '05,and'06 inventory as well? This example of incompetent management of inventory says ZERO about Saabs future and the "shape" it finds itself in!
    I am in the northeast and they do have left over 2005 and 2006 9-3s.
    I've also read that the NorthEast is pretty much the final frontier when it comes to Saab sales though. Like Subaru, those quirky, unique brands do very well in Vermont, NH and MA but are miniscule in other parts of the country.

So I don't doubt that a new 2004 model exists on lots outside the NE.
    I have a feeling that since the '07s have $4000 cash back (and an additional $2000, depending on VIN)few buyers are tempted to go for the '04s, '05s, or '06 models when the '07s are being discounted significantly.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Yikes! Don't suppose any nice new 04 convertibles though.....

Give all the rebates and such on the 07s what do you figure they'd sell teh 04s for? :confuse:
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    "In answer to persistent speculation that General Motors may put Saab on the auction block, much as Ford has done with Volvo, GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz on Sunday insisted that it's just not so."

Lutz: GM Has No Plans To Let Go of Saab (Inside Line)
  • tconnollytconnolly Member Posts: 1
    The New England area has always had a soft spot for Saabs
    Maybe we’re all a little quirky up here but we like it that way.
    Saabs were not luxury cars around here until the eighties. They were just practical.
    They came from a place that understands cold weather, icy roads, high output defrosters, heaters, salt induced rust, and the need for front wheel drive.
    Volvos were always considered more luxury than the Saab and also more impractical as they were rear wheel drive and not good in snow.
    The fact that Saab’s are, and always have been, good in snow is the single biggest selling point for them around here…period.
    Outside of this area Saabs are somewhat popular in upper Michigan, Colorado, and the Dakotas for the same reasons as New England…snow.
    The rest of the country cannot relate to the features incorporated in the Saab for this climate so they label them as quirky with odd options.
    There’s nothing weird about a heated seat when its’ 20 degrees below zero out or winter mode in an automatic transmission which keeps the wheels from spinning when shifting.
    Up here we still don’t understand why anyone would buy an SUV or any four wheel drive vehicle in a place that sees no snow… but they do! Go figure!!

I have driven everything from Range Rovers to Yugo’s in Maine winters for the last 30 years and nothing, save for a four wheel drive, handles better in snow than a Saab. And yes we own a four wheel drive Toyota pickup incase it gets really nasty out.
    We have owned Saabs since 1983, Two 900’s a 900 S, a 9-5 sedan, 9-5 Wagon and now a 9-5 Aero sedan. We have never had one of those cars break down for any reason what –so- ever.
    Sure they need to be maintained though no more than any other car. I had a no-start due to an old battery once though that’s hardly the car’s fault.

I once drove a 1984 Saab 900 sixty miles through an average of eight inches of snow on an unplowed interstate during a blizzard to pick up my mother at an airport in Bangor, Maine. We had no trouble at all except figuring out where the road was at times.

Sure Saab has produced some lemons. We all stayed far away from the 9000 series as they were not the Saabs we were used to. Our premonition was well founded as the 9000 series had a terrible reputation for all sorts of mechanical problems.
    We don’t shut down the schools and businesses around here for a small storm of six to ten inches of snow.
    Most cities south of New York have trouble with two or three inches of snow. If they drove Saabs it would be business as usual!
    I sell Saabs for a living and I am very skeptical as to your claim regarding availabilty of new leftover 2005 models.Put up or shut-up...Name the dealership and tell me what models and how many are still avilable.
    "Right now, Saab sells about 35,000 vehicles a year in the U.S., which is more than the brand moves in Sweden if you can believe it"

Can Saab Survive? (Inside Line)

Well I am at home now so I don't have access to my dealerships system but if I remember correctly they were all 9-3s. I don't know if they were aero models or not I don't remember.

I can't name the dealership because I work for the same auto group and that is not allowed.

It is in CT though and one of the oldest SAAB dealers in the country if that helps. Not sure if they are demos or not but they were still listed in the NEW car side of Reynolds and Reynolds so they were new cars.