Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You know what and who I am talking about. And if you look back at who brings up Hyundai in this discussion in a new thread, it's not me.

Are you going to answer my question about your Yaris?
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Backy, not the person you were asking the question of, but I bought my Yaris with the Airbag Package and ABS after the IIHS and Consumer Report tests. I would not have bought the Yaris without them. I would have just waited longer to get a Honda Fit.
    How easy was it to get your Yaris (hatch or sedan?) with those options? I mean, did you have some selection on the lot, or did you need to "order" it and wait for it? Also can you tell us what kind of deal you got on your Yaris?

The Yaris interests me due to its high fuel economy and good crash test results with the side bags/curtains. If availability with ABS and the airbag options is improving, it could slide into my "consider" list for next year. I am also crossing my fingers that for the 2009 MY, due to be a refresh, Toyota will tweak the interior and put in straight-ahead gauges, since they are moving that direction with Scion.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's get away from this personal beef that's brewing.

I understand that people get passionate about their vehicles, but there are times when it's best to agree to disagree and move on.
  • demcakdemcak Member Posts: 6
    I have a 1986 Buick Gran Sport. My problem is I'm considering selling the car. Buick has said that 1029 were made. In my state 2 were sold, and I am the orginal owner of one of them. The car is in very good condition and stored winters. The only information I have is I've been told the car is "very rare". Can anyone help me in giving me a value.
    Thanks!!
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    errrrr, might be better to ask this on a Buick board.
    It was difficult to find. I needed 4 doors and wanted the factory cruise so I bought the sedan. I also wanted the power package, the airbags, and a manual transmission. As is usually the problem with the unfriendly Toyota machine, there were none of those available in my Southeast Distributor region.

I kept my eye on Fitzmall as I had a relative who lives reasonably nearby. That Maryland-Virginia region was one of the very few that had a number of Yaris Sedans equipped just as I wanted one. Fitzmall did not have one when I was ready to buy so I went to Koons nearby. They had exactly what I wanted. It stickered at about $15500 and I got it for just over invoice at $14600.

Fitzmall has a very similar one right now at invoice about $14425.
    Thanks for the details. Good to see you were able to get a good deal. Unfortunately I don't live very close to Fitzmall, and the last time I checked a few weeks ago, I couldn't even "build my own" Yaris hatch with the side bags and ABS, and I could get them both only on the top-line Yaris S sedan (I'm in Toyota's Chicago Region). If I did get a Yaris, I'd prefer the hatch with MT, ABS, side bags/curtains, rear wiper, and a 60/40 split rear seat. I don't really need the power package on a small 2-door with non-functioal rear windows. But I don't know if such a combination exists.
  • demcakdemcak Member Posts: 6
    Where do I find the Buick board??
    Use the Browse By Vehicle search tool in the left sidebar. Just choose your make and modle of vehicle and you'll get a list of all relevant discussions.
  • boris13boris13 Member Posts: 80
    The 60/40 split rear seat is part of the power package. The only way to get the seat is by ordering the power package.

The car you described is basically the car that I own (I have fog lights, alloy wheels and a sway bar too). I highly recommend it. The more I drive it (8,000 miles now), the more I appreciate it.

The Liftback S model that Toyota will offer for 2008 may be up your alley (you would still need to add side airbags and ABS, but those might be more easily found on an S). The new Liftback S gets a tach too.
    Why am I not surprised that the only way to get a 60/40 rear seat, standard on just about every other hatch, is to get a power package? ;)

The Liftback S might be up my alley except for price. With the power package with steel wheels (cheapest way to get the 60/40 rear seat), ABS, and side curtains the MSRP is $15,475. There's some nicer cars availble for that kind of money or less, even considering a discount on the Yaris.

The xD would be another option, if I could stomach the looks of it.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    Your experience is one comparison, unfortunately the overall numbers don't mirror your experience. Reliability numbers still overwelmingly show Japanese vehicles are more reliable than Korean. The Korean makes are definitely improving, but they're not up to the better Japanese makes yet.
  • ttaittai Member Posts: 114
    Nevermind the proven reliability of Toyotas. The Yaris is one of those cars that makes you realize the brilliance of the design the more you drive it. The auto tranny for instance has the gated, flick left for passing gear feature instead of the straight up and down lever. I found myself flicking it left and right often because it's just so much fun. The cup holders by the air conditioning vent keeps my drinks cold. BRILLIANT! The passenger seat adjuster is a perfect chinese noodle soup togo holder to prevent spillage. BRILLIANT!!! The glove compartment behind the steering wheel holds a map in place so I can read it while driving. SUPER BRILLIANT!!!!! And there's that peppy engine and gas mileage thing too.
  • lucynethellucynethel Member Posts: 81
    TIRED of it? WAAAH..... Better get USED to it! You already admitted you don't even know what I am talking about. I can also see you have no idea what YOU are talking about.....
    Let's drop the personal back and forth NOW and stick to talking about the vehicles please.
    Hey, if you just want a cheapo-strippo, why not get an Aveo?

Really... is it all about price?

I'm not sure you could get a "nicer car" that gets the kind of fuel economy that a Yaris (fully loaded, mind you) gets for only $15k and some change.

You can get a $12K Yaris. But it won't have the options you want. That's the way it is. If you don't like it, get something else.

You might not like $3-per-gallon gasoline either, but that's reality as well.

I paid just over $16K for my fully-optioned Liftback.

Worth every penny, from where I sit.
    No, it's not about price. It's about value.

You're correct in that there are few cars that get comparable fuel economy to a Yaris. But since I drive only around 7-8k miles a year, I don't need exceptional fuel economy, just good fuel economy. I'd accept just 30 mpg overall (with a lot of city driving) for a car that offers more comfort/room/convenience/features than a Yaris, for the same or less money. Let's face it, the main attractions of the Yaris are fuel economy and low price. (It should be reliable also, but that's not the big differentiator it used to be.) If I have to pay near $15k to get a Yaris that has the bare minimum features I need, then I start looking at alternatives.

There's several very nice cars available for just over $16k. That's not pennies to me, so before I spend it I'll check out all the options. If you are happy with your Yaris then I am glad for you, it's just the right car for you.
  • lucynethellucynethel Member Posts: 81
    Yeah....As I TRIED to explain in the most simple terms originally to help in the search for rattles. Again, simply walk around the front of your Yaris. Take one or two fingers and simply "TAP" along all the different areas of sheet metal. (even that Buick like front door!) Now, as you go, you will hear the cheap, NON-reinforced "metal" buzzing as you tap in certain spots. Especially as you move around the sides near the windshield/dash area. For the record, we now have 1 Yaris liftback, auto trans with NO side airbags, AND a new Hyundai Accent.
    Sheet metal isn't what it used to be, in general. My 2002 MPV has probably the thinnest sheet metal on the front fenders I've ever seen on a car. I'm afraid if I push too hard with my index finger, I'd dent it.

It's possible the metal on the Yaris is actually pretty strong, if it's formulated to be high-strength steel. Also it's important if it's treated against rust, e.g. galvanized.

If your Yaris rattled, I'll bet it's not the sheet metal that was rattling as that is welded (except the front fenders?). Probably something else. Lots of little parts in a car that can come loose. And as has been noted, the thinness or thickness of the sheet metal doesn't have much if anything to do with crash worthiness; that's related to the structural design (including crumple zones), the strength of the florrpan and crossmembers, the reinforcements in the doors, airbags etc.
    I've been a licensed driver for over 50 years and those were all with no side airbags. My Yaris LB does not have them either but I'm sure not stressing about it. Give me the option to take them and I would have. We have them in our 2006 Rav4 which is our traveling car. It was very hard to get side airbags in the Midwest region. Same with the Rav4. As of 2007, all Ravs come with the side airbags.

As for economy, it is secondary in the Yaris since I will only be driving it 4-5000k a year. I wanted something that was FUN TO DRIVE, easy to park and maneuver in urban traffic and that is what the Yaris lift back is. Paid $12,800 and I am as happy with my choice as I could be.
    Does anyone else drive your Yaris? My next car will be handed down to my daughter in a few years. So I want all the safety features I can get on that car--side curtains, ABS, brake assist, yes, I'd even like ESC/VSC if I can get it, and I can for about the same price as the Yaris hatch I priced out a few posts ago although that limits my choices quite a bit.

I am not real happy with Toyota limiting the availability of the Yaris in the Midwest with what I consider to be important safety features--features that are standard now on many other cars.
    backy: As I'm sure you know, Toyota doesn't limit anything for any region. The region dealers get together and decide how they want the vast majority of their cars configured. For example the Kansas City Region ordered 95% of their Ravs without side airbags. The Chicago Region got most of their Ravs with side airbags. That is where my Rav came from. I will not be handing my Yaris down to anyone. In fact at my rate of miles it will probably outlast me! ;)

I remember you used to be all over the Hyundai Sonata board and as far as I know, you still are.
    That isn't the way vehicle allocation was explained to me by the master sales rep at my local Toyota dealership, but I'll trust that you either work for Toyota or have some inside information that is accurate.

The other discussions I participate in in Town Hall (and there's quite a few of those) are irrelevant to this discussion. Unless there's some new law I don't know about that limits Town Hall participation to one at a time? :confuse:
    Well you took that comment the wrong way. You are so defensive. I was just alluding to the fact that when I had my Sonata I remembered your posts. In fact we had a little back and forth as I remeber. Sorry if that upset you.
  • crutnackercrutnacker Member Posts: 41
    There is a very funny scene in the new show Chuck on NBC when Chuck gets in a car chase in his "Nerd Herd" (Think Best Buy Geek Squad) Yaris. It was perfect product placement.
    No, it didn't upset me, it confused me--as per the Emoticon I used. I just didn't understand why someone would bring up the Sonata discussion out of the blue in a Yaris discussion.
    ...that if you order a Yaris from the factory, it doesn't matter what region you order it from as you can order it any way you want it?
    Actually I was not aware it was possible to order a Yaris from the factory in Japan. Do you have any details on how someone would do that? The last time I tried to order a Toyota with specific equipment, back in late 2003, I was held to the constraints of whatever cars were available within my region (of Toyota USA). Maybe things have changed since then?
    Just what Backy said. Most dealers in the SET distributor region just look at you stupid and say let me see what is in my region on the computer. Sorry, can't help you. Another casualty of the Toyota System.
    You can pretty much get whatever you want if you go to the proper region that configures it this way. (By changing the zip code on the Toyota site you will come up with different options in different regions. Also, many on the Rav4 board have ordered their cars from the factory. Some dealers won't fool with it because they want to sell what they have. The wait is said to be eight to ten weeks, but more often it is three or four months but they did get what they wanted. So if you are not in a hurry.............

Here is an example: The Rav only comes with leather on the limited model. Says so right in the brochure. Yet the Florida region will sell you a Sport or base with leather no problem. And it is on the MSRP sticker.
    But if your are in the Southeast Toyota Region, they are the exclusive distributor in the Southeast. A few years ago they did not sell a single Corolla LE with a manual for a whole model year. They decided not to distribute any so you had to leave the region to get one from another state. No other manufacturer has this lousy system.
    So... to get a Yaris with the options I want, I just go from MN to FL?

Some manufacturers add options at the port and they are included on the window sticker. Maybe the leather on the non-Limited RAV4s is like that? If so, that approach would not work too well with ABS and airbags.

But I'll check with that master sales rep at the local Toyota dealership and see whether they would do a factory order for something not available in the region.
    ...if the vehicle with the options you want to order isn't avaiable in your particular region, you simply have the dealership from which you are ordering the vehicle swap one of their allocated vehicles of the same model with a dealership that can order the vehicle you want. Dealerships do this all the time.
    Right. There was a Yaris meeting my criteria on its way to a dealer in Spokane, Washington. My dealer in Toledo, Ohio worked out a swap and I ended up with the car.
    Yes, the dealers can get a printout of all the incoming cars and contact the receiving dealer to try a trade. Some dealers are better (read more willing}to do this than others. I have two dealers here that are 25 miles apart and absolutely will not trade with each other because they are so competitive and dislike each other.

I have a friend who works for Toyota at one of their ports of entry and they have a regular assembly line installing various options and accessories including the MSRP sheet. This is for all Toyotas of course, not just the Yaris.
    Or maybe I just wait for the 2009 Fit, which looks like a great package, and with two more doors than the Yaris hatch. :)
    Can't handle the Fit. It still looks like a micro-van to me.
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    Check out the 09 Fit (available in US fall 08) on Edmund's home page. Much nicer than the current model.

I'm due for a new car in about a year and it might be worth putting an early deposit on, sight unseen.
  • lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    www.toyota.com has information on the 2008 Yaris. It looks pretty much the same as the 2007 Yaris; no 4 door hatchback yet.
    Will the '09 Fit be available in a two-door model?

Can't stand those four-doors... never bought one yet, never will. ;)
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Hi...

I doubt if you'll ever see the 5dr version of the Yaris brought here, to the U.S...If anyone wants a five door Yaris, Toyota wants that someone to go for the Scion xD...that may be good or bad, depending upon your point of view...

Peace!<-AladdinSane-- :shades:
  • pixiejenpixiejen Member Posts: 1
    I love the 2 door yaris. I bought mine in July of 06. I use the backseat to transport my dog all the time and I have no problem. The only thing I want is a roof rack so i can take my bike places, I don't like the hitch racks.
    Does anyone know i they make roof racks for he US version?
    I've seen them for different models in Europe but not yet here. :shades:
    There's been quite a few Yaris bashing by Hyundai people in, of all places, a yaris forum. I thought I'll give all the good stuff I've experienced with my liftback.

1 - Yes, I do get 40mpg highway and 32 city.
    2 - High seating position makes it easier to see crazy parking lot racers when backing out.
    3 - Cool gated shifter.
    4 - Nicely weighted steering and handling.
    5 - Decent engine power.
    6 - Lots of storage.
    7 - No problems so far.

Now let's hear from the Honda and Huyndai people chime in on a car that they've never owned.
    Do you suppose it would be possible to tell us about the positive experiences you've had with your Yaris without making disparaging comments that are off topic, and encouraging other people to make off topic posts here? Any chance of sticking to the Yaris here? Pretty please??

Anyway... on a recent trip to San Francisco, I saw lots of Yaris hatches around town--more than I've ever seen in any other city. I imagine they would be a great car for that environment--easy on gas, maneuverable, and easy to park where parking space is a premium. And of course Toyotas in general are very popular in CA.
    How is what I posted disparaging? I posted a Yaris experience. That's not like posting an Accent experience.
  • neatnick79neatnick79 Member Posts: 12
    Hi Guys! Just hit 31,000 miles on my red liftback I purchased in April of '06. I haven't had the dreaded 30,000 mile service yet but nothing's been majorly worn out on prior services (last was at 29,000) like brakes, etc. Let's go over the issues I've had so far (not that there have been too many):

--Had a headlight bulb burned out at 27,000 miles; replaced under warranty
    --TSB on the main serpentine belt squeaking; replaced under warranty
    --at about 20,000 miles the heater blower motor started squeaking badly; replaced under warranty
    --fixed a few interior rattles under warranty throughout the 30,000, but I've given up on these. I guess in New England, with the change of seasons, and the hard plastics, things must expand/contract, because I still get rattles. Plus, lots of potholes! Oh well, it's not an expensive car, nor is it new!
    --not Toyota's fault, but rock chips from highway driving abound on the hood and roof; just bad luck I guess (plus highway sand and salt and driving behind trucks).

Good stuff (aplenty!):
    --engine is still great... still idles extra smooth and runs exactly the same as new; she loves to rev, and who cares about the noise--it's a small engine!
    --same with the transmission, and I tend to play with the automatic's gears, especially in stop/go traffic or snowy conditions; quick to downshift if necessary...
    --with my winter tires/summer tire changeouts, the car is awesome in the snowy/icy conditions here in Rhode Island. I had a line of SUVs behind me on the highway in the last storm!
    --gas mileage is consistently 39-ish in the summer, about 35-ish in the winter (snow tires, idling, cold weather), so it's living up to the window sticker! Of course, I keep her around 70 mph or less. Let's just say it's almost exactly 400 miles (in the summer) before I get scared and fill up the tank; and about 350 miles or so in the winter

Well, in summary, the car is very predictable, if you drive it sensibly. I drive about 400 miles per week, so it's perfect for that! I think it does have a bit of character, though. I still get beeps and waves from other liftback drivers, because I only see two others on my commute, a bayou blue model and a meteorite metallic one; they are still pretty rare here!
  • fastrunnerfastrunner Member Posts: 38
    16,000 miles and perfect I purchased my 5 speed Yaris Hatchback in Sept, 2006. I drive about 12,000 miles per yr. I have had zero problems in the first 16 months. The best 2007 car for high mpg and high quality. My winter average mpg is 44, and my summer average mpg is 50, for an average of 47 mpg year round in Pennsylvania.
    Yes, I am a hypermiler, and I do know how to get the most out of my Yaris. Great car by Toyota! Someday would love to see it sold as a PHEV.
  • dakedake Member Posts: 131
    Well, wife and I bought an '08 Yaris Sedan, automatic and loaded with almost everything you can get. We love it. She drives about 20'ish miles a day round trip in heavy stop and go traffic and has been holding steady at 30mpg. We've got a roadtrip coming up in a couple of months, so we're looking forward to seeing what the Yaris will do on the open road. My auto, 4dr Echo made the trip last time at 40+mpg. We'll see what happens. :shades:
    This guy walked away from being t-boned by a Taurus doing 60km/hr. First thing I noticed is there were no side air-bags. I'm pretty sure if it was a Suburban, the guy would be dead by now. So why are we still selling Suburbans to soccer moms with cell phones?

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12219