Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion Care and Maintenance

Comments

• aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    You can either buy new rubbers and slide them into the blades, which is cheaper but more time-consuming, or buy complete new blades and clip them into the wiper arms.
  • svolochsvoloch Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am currently experiencing loud banging noises when i drive across my rear. It appears that my front wheels have a coating on the body metal above the wheels but my rear ones don't. Would anyone happen to have any clue of what this substance is called? Or maybe another way of preventing this noise and/or sealing the exposed metal?
  • lenzailenzai Member Posts: 7
    Is there a way you can take a pic of ur front and rear wheels? I want to see what it is.
    What does driving across your rear mean?
    Are you saying your rear tires have rubbed the factory mastic undercoating off the rear wheel wells?
    What size wheels and tires do you have, and has anyone modified your suspension?
  • belle5belle5 Member Posts: 3
    WoW. I'm glad you got some kind of resolution. What did you get for a replacement car? Take care.
  • tinkuytinkuy Member Posts: 7
    Toyota is buying back the :lemon: for the full price. I ordered a Toyota Matrix XR back on Feb. 23. No new car yet. The dealer says they can't get a red stickshift. And so far they haven't found me a black stickshift either. So I'm still driving the :lemon: and completely sick of the situation.
    I was wondering if there are any xA owners out there (other than myself) who get shock all the times when they exit their vehicle? Every time when I fully got out of the car and touch the door (to close it), I got a big shock from it. I was wondering if this is the way I drive, the area I live in, or just my xA? Does anyone know how to prevent a shock like that? Thanks!
  • albsalbs Member Posts: 4
    i get the same thing and i live in altoona pa. when it is damp out it does not happen, only when it is dry. :shades: :shades:
  • albsalbs Member Posts: 4
    look up 2008 model scions. i like the looks of the 2007 and older xa. :mad:
  • sciescie Member Posts: 2
    I'm glad to hear Toyota finally decided to buy back your xA since they jerked you around long enough. After 6 trips to my dealership to resolve the leak problem they finally fixed it. A field engineer installed and reconfigured a new vapor barrier and the leaking has stopped. Should there be any more problems the case manager at Scion said they'll have to replace the car. I wish you better luck with your new Matrix!
    Glad to hear your water entry problems were solved. Do keep a close eye on it. My xA continues to leak intermittently after several attempts to fix it. It sounds as if Toyota FINALLY acknowledges that some Scions are leaking :lemon: s. Obviously we're not the only cases.

What new Matrix????? I'm still being jerked around by Toyota. I ordered a Matrix on Feb. 23rd. Nothing yet. Now the dealer tells me they'll order a new car from the factory in May, and it won't arrive until sometime in June.

This has really turned into a farce!
    Where is this vapor barrier?
    Is it the plastic sheet inside the door that keeps the cardboard door panel dry?
    So if this plastic sheet is not installed just right, water also gets out of the door and into the car?
  • lingnanlingnan Member Posts: 7
    Hello everyone,

I am currently is in market for a new Scion xB. Since they are not making no more new model except for 2008, can any one spare the time and tell me whether i should buy the 2006 model or wait for the new 2008 which has bigger engine and different appearance.
    Thank you for your input, regardless. Besides, you folks are hosting a nice forum here.

Lingnan
    The vapor barrier, as I understand it, is that Tyvek-like material inside the structure of the door. My suspicion is that the leaking problem in xAs goes far beyond the vapor barrier & door & window seals, since Toyota attempted to fix those items repeatedly in my vehicle and the damn car still leaks. Must be some fundamental design flaw.
    "...Since they are not making no more new model except for 2008, can any one spare the time and tell me whether i should buy the 2006 model or wait for the new 2008 which has bigger engine and different appearance."

They are completely different cars in size, power, appearance, and the 2008 is about $1500 more. Since you apparently do not already have a particular need or preference for the smaller 2006, and since the 2006 is now "take what you can find", you may as well order a 2008 they way you like it.
    Thank you for your suggestion. Deeply appreciated.
    I went in and test drove the 2008 xB today and find it lot more pleasing, especially the redesigning of the dash and gear shifter which also comes with sequential shifting.
    It has a lot of pull when putting your foot of the paddle and the 4 wheel disc brakes are so responsive.
    Unfortunate thing is the model I drove today has a lot of upgrade, i.e. steel wheels and sport package. So, I have to get my hands on the basic automatic again, when its available which, according to the salesman, will be another 10 days wait. (Originally, he called me yesterday afternoon about the silver with auto, and basic that I want him to contact me. But when we were there, he said it was sold yesterday w/o informing me. I was little unhappy about that, because its 30 miles from my house.)
    Overall, this is a better and improved model, at least to my standard because I'm more incline with bigger engine cars. Just as we were coming home from the dealer, this absent minded driver, merged right into my lane w/o even looking. Lucky I have a powerful engine to haul away from his path. Another reason that a bigger engine can provide escape from situation.
    But, I don't think this car is suitable for younger drivers, if they are not experienced with such engine size. It really gets up and go. But the lucky thing is the 4 wheel disc brakes plays a compensating role.
    In any event, this is a totally different car as you have mentioned to me earlier and its curb appeal is even better than the old model.
  • sbrown4sbrown4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All, I'm another one. I have a leak too. It's on my passenger side. Similar, if not the same, problem as was describe in a previous email: "Water . . . dribbles onto the floor. . . It accumulates on the sill & makes it's way into the car." If it rains hard enough, I can have a puddle on the floor.

One of the previous writer said it seems to happen when the car is at an angle of 5 degrees or more. That info. was very helpful info. My driveway is at a slight angle. That could explain why it leaks for me & not Toyota. I've brought it in 9 or 10 times now, with no resolutions. The last time I brought it in Toyota acknowledged that the floor was wet, but said it was from someone wet shoes - Give me a break! They tried numerous things to fix it; none have worked. Although Toyota would argue that it's fixed now. (Like they've said 9 or 10 times now.) I wonder how many more people are having the same problem. Maybe it will take a group of people complaining to get Toyota to do something (wishful thinking). I am suing Toyota under the lemon law. It's been dragging on & on. It should come to a head some time this summer. As others have said, it's soooo frustrating. In my opinion, it's just a disgrace that Toyota isn't just acknowledging that there is a problem & doing the right thing. ( I guess they didn't realize that I thought I was buying the Scion Xa without the leak option. lol.) It's good to know I'm not the only one!
  • n92cpn92cp Member Posts: 2
    Can a 2006 or 2007 XB be towed behind a motor home without damage to the drive train? Manual transmission? Automatic transmission? Also, about how much does the 06 or o7 XB weigh?

Thanks
    N92CP
    The xB weighs 2400 lbs. You can flat-tow a 5-speed. An automatic must have the front wheels off the ground. See "Dinghy Towing" in the manual. If a dolly is used, it puts the rear bumper pretty close to the ground.
    Here are some links to products:
    http://www.aemfg.com
    http://www.hitchcorner.com/tow_bars.htm
    http://www.roadmasterinc.com/
    http://www.roadmaster-tow-bars.com
  • jek2jek2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 xA and had this happen a few months ago and called the dealership and they told me that the door must have been left open or the window wasn't up all the way - this of course was not so. It was on the passenger side floor after a major rain event. I saw another comment someone made about the car being on an angle - mine was parked on an angle with the passenger side lower than the driver's side. I haven't had a problem since.
  • lululithgowlululithgow Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an 05 XB WITH 29,000 ml. I have noticed that when I first drive, the engine revs like crazy before it shifts into 2nd or 3rd gear - I can't figure out which. I am used to driving a standard 88 volvo so I don't really know what is normal behavior. It only does it in while the coolant light is blue - basically the first time it runs thru the gears and only if it has sat for 5 or 6 hours. I first thought my scion was bought for personal use but later found out it was a company car - which makes me nervous. I bought the extended warranty - 7yrs/100,000 ml, but I've been reading that some people are having a hard time with repairs under warranty. I want to be happy with my Scion seeing as it's the first near new car I have bought in 20 years, but the payment book arrived today and I'm starting to wonder if I made a huge mistake.
    "... when I first drive, the engine revs like crazy before it shifts into 2nd or 3rd gear - I can't figure out which... It only does it in while the coolant light is blue - basically the first time it runs thru the gears and only if it has sat for 5 or 6 hours..."

Until the blue light goes out (137 degrees), the computer will not let the transmission upshift into 4th gear. This is by design. You should not be revving the engine like crazy in 3rd gear trying to make the transmission upshift before the blue light is out.
  • lululithgowlululithgow Member Posts: 2
    Hey thanks,
    I figured it was something to do with the coolant light and I couldn't check the manual because the dealer hadn't gotten me one yet. I've always driven sticks so it's hard to get used to not being able to shift when it seems it should. I actually have a very light foot on the pedal - I was just bothered at first by what sounded like the engine struggling. Again - thanks for the info.
  • djklebdjkleb Member Posts: 2
    Just wondering if your problem is totally fixed with the new vapor barrier. I am having the leaking issue with my 2006 XA as well and I don't know what to do. Any ideas? Mine stays in a garage, so it doesn't happen overnight. It's just being out in the rain while driving that it gets wet.
    My xA hasn't been fixed by the new vapor barrier. It still leaks intermittently. I don't think the problem can be solved. Toyota finally acknowledged that my car is a lemon & will pay me back everything. I ordered a Matrix 4 months ago to replace the Scion & it still hasn't arrived.

My suggestions:

1.) Give up on getting the leak fixed!

2.) Contact the regional office of Toyota & talk to their customer service person. Tell them the car cannot be fixed. Ask Toyota to buy it back. FInd out how much they will give you.

3.) If Toyota's answer is unsatisfactory, go to a good lemon law lawyer & pursue the case.

If you're in the SF Bay Area, I can give you some names & numbers. Good luck!
  • djklebdjkleb Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your response. I am on the east coast, but I don't think I'm going to do anything about it. I like the car and I will just have to deal with the leak. Best of luck with your Matrix!
    Hey there, I don't get the "rain leak" that you guys mentioned, but I do get some leaking going on when I wash my 05 xA with a pressurized hose shooting water at the corner of the passenger side window (right next to the side mirror). I have not done anything about it because it doesn't bother me at all. I have driven thru heavy rains and it does not leak thru. It only happens when I am shooting pressurized water at it. Maybe this is a separate problem.
  • marc28marc28 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys, need some help from you guys. Everytime i drive my XA 2004 model, i noticed the red light handbrake icon always appeared whenever i step on the accelerator to speed up. does anyone here have the same problem with me? Handbrake is down for sure so not it problem.Or is it i step too much that why the red light appeared? Please help me. Thx.
  • yenes56yenes56 Member Posts: 1
    Question. I am planning to buy Scion XB 2008 but I am worrying about the oil change. I have an Accord and I always change oil myself by driving up a ramp. Scion XB, on the other hand seems to have a low bottom. If I drive the XB on the ramp, could the front or back touch the ground before the front tire reaching the top of the ramp? How did you lift the card. My ramps are the usual one bought from Walmart.
  • samdale67samdale67 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Scion xB 2004, and I'm wondering what's the best way to clean its fuel injectors.

1. Do fuel injector cleaning additives work? If so, which is the best?

2. Or is it best to have them cleaned by other means? I'm pretty handy and would like to do it myself if possible.

Advice?

Thanks--

Samuel Duncan
    Austin, Texas
  • scatsscats Member Posts: 11
    how do you shut off the maint. light
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Push the button (in the center at the clock) and turn the key on. Then let it count down. Stop on the interval that you liked to be warned. The interval is from 1000 to 5000.

I did mine two weeks ago, so I am going from memory.
  • greg2gogreg2go Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know how to remove rear hubs to check shoes on an XB?
  • richardsonrichardson Member Posts: 92
    take wheel off and pull drum.
  • debatingdebating Member Posts: 14
    I don't own the XB, but deliver for a florist. She bought the new 2006 two years ago last month. I've probably put over half those miles on myself.
    It now has 54,000 miles on it. It hadn't needed anything but normal maintenance till now, but the check engine light came on the other day. The problem, the ignition coil. Has anyone else experienced that problem?
    I own a Maxima that had that problem a couple of years ago. At that time I read of Volkswagon experiencing the same problem. Seems to be a fairly common - though expensive problem.
  • andeetandeet Member Posts: 142
    One day I went to my dealer...
    I turned off the "Main Req." light before and was 28,xxx miles. They tried offered to do the 30k check up and I declined due to not having the money. I promised to come back next oil change to do it. My tech pulled me to the side and lectured me about improper maintenance (tires, oil changes.) Took it personal and never came back. Around that time, my personal finances were out of control so I knew my money was serious problem with maintaining this wonderful car. More thought I put into it...Its all my fault no matter what not Tom the Tech!

So I decided to keep doing proper oil changes while holding back on new tires. Since I can't do the Toyota maintenance schedule least do that. People on other sites kept telling me to switch to Synthetic so I did. I use Mobil 1 5W-30; car seems to enjoy it better. Runs much smoother and starts up with ease even in 10 degrees weather.

About few weeks ago, my "Brake" light kept going on and off. Look under the hood, saw brake fluid is low. And Wisconsin winter came long within that same week...spent the 500.00 for new tires and kept driving on the brake light. I was told to take it back to the dealer and let them look at them. Made the appointment; they couldn't fit me in until the 28th cause I personally like waiting for the car being night-shift person. So I asked for a Friday. Since I'm behind all the maintenance they can tell me right there if something else went wrong and I can "Okay" more work.

Here's the question: since you have the scoop....
    I have my employer's bonus around that time. Should cover everything; I hope. But I told my family I would use the money to payoff my evil debts (credit cards.) I personally believe I should use the money to put the car back on track since I am on 72 month loan and my credit isn't too nice like when I bought the car. So I feel like I have no choice to do it. Is this wrong? Or is this the right choice? My family feels that I will be selfish. I can payoff these debts with ease specially since I'm not stressing out about my car. I know if I do this...I'll be happy and willing to pay these bills in full.
  • david2david2 Member Posts: 12
    Hi all,
    Hope this is the right place to ask the question.
    I wonder if xB's rear seats are big enough for 2 adults (5'1~5'3, 95~105lb) + 1 car seat. Any owner can share some experiences with me?
    Many thanks! :P
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    That would work in mine. The new one is just bigger.

I actually saw three baby seats in the back of an 06 one time.
  • david2david2 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the infor! Will get one at the end of this month.
  • deborah123deborah123 Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if you ever got this resolved. I just purchased a used 06 XA still under warranty and they replaced the door gasket with no improvement. Mine puddles on the door sill as does yours and the other person that posted. Frustrating.
  • beancountantbeancountant Member Posts: 34
    What if you bought your 09 Scion xB used, it's 1st oil change was 5,700 miles. Incidentally, Toyota requires you to change it @ 5,000 m. I know the theory about changing it @ 1,000 but I;m stuck in this situation. Does'nt the filter trap those shavings/ gunk from going back to the metals that wear against each other?
    Do you have any opinion about how the 2.4 Camry engine should last given adequate maintenance?Thank you in advance. :)
  • bearguroobearguroo Member Posts: 1
    I just took my 09 xD in for its 15K maintenance expecting the standard stuff. They came back and told me that my front brake pads were gone and needed to be replaced. They showed me the pads and yes indeed the pads needed replacement. This has really thrown me for a loop, having to have front brakes done at 15K seems ridiculous.
    I drive a lot for my job as a tech and yes about half of that is during heavy traffic. I just can't see that causing that much wear. This is a Scion dealer with a decent reputation that is telling me this. Are the pads that come on the car just not good quality??? :cry: :confuse:
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    people differ on oil change frequency but one should at least follow their car's manufacturer's maintenance schedules.

Just look at how you drive and judge if it's in dusty conditions or under other "severe" driving conditions. I get my car's oil changed every 3,000-5,000 miles.

The filter will trap metal shavings but people differ on oil change frequency. If in doubt get a L-O-F done every 3,000 miles. I still like that old standard frequency schedule.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• plastic96plastic96 Member Posts: 4
    I have had this happen three times as well. When I talked to Scion, they acted as if they had never heard of such a thing. I am glad to hear it isn't just me. The toyota dealer locally told me that the armrest wasn't intended to support weight (!?), implying it was my fault.
  • therealhboggstherealhboggs Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 xA with 94,000 miles. For the first 15k, I utilized the 3 free changes by the dealer. Since then I have used the best Amsoil full synthetic and their filter and changed every 25K. Not one drop of oil has been consumed to date. One minor repair (around$200) covered by extended warranty. 34 mpg overall since purchase (I have complete records). Not too bad overall.
  • jeff618jeff618 Member Posts: 29
    I've been a trico neoform guy for a while now but this time I tried 'trico tech beam blades' for the scion xD. They just came out in late 2009 and what's cool is they have a new, lower, slighty off-set attachment mounting that allows the wiper arms to sit slightly lower. The trico techs are also beefy as hell and look awesome with the lower mounts. They wipe clean and quietly without chatter. Came with removal and replacement instructions - easy install. Picked them up online - they actually cost LESS than the neoforms...
  • chumsaechumsae Member Posts: 61
    2005 xB: two months ago on a chilly morning (below 25 F or so) the heater fan worked for a while then stopped. A couple hours later it started working, and has done fine for two months. Today (about 65 F) the fan stopped working again.

The fuses are good. I've tapped the relays with my screwdriver. No luck.

Anybody seen this? If so, what was wrong?

Thanks, Rick
  • plastic96plastic96 Member Posts: 4
    Yes, definitely. I'm on my fourth armrest, and it's getting to be a definite hassle
  • 05xbr05xbr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 XB , i use a couple of 4ft 2x4sunder the ramps to give the ground effects a little more room to make it off of the ground to change my own oil
This discussion has been closed.