Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Ranger III

Comments

• Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Congrats on your new 01 Ranger. Sounds pretty nice. With the 4.0 auto and 4.10 gears, don't expect stellar MPG. This truck is built to pull and haul with the 4.10 gearing. Did you get a LSD? What kind of tires? If they are Firestones run don't walk to your nearest Discount/America's tire company. They will give you a trade in amount towards a new set of tires. I bet those you have on presently are a 4ply tires. Don't go offroad until you know what ply they are. Get a good all terrain tire if you plan on doing any type of offroading. Go to a P255x76R16 or P265. This will make your Ranger a much better offroader. It will also change the stance and look of your Ranger.
  • Options
    gk3gk3 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks, vinc8, and guess what? I'm already getting used to the height (kind of fun!) and the stiff stirring, which I don't feel as much. Either it loosened up with a few miles on it, or I adapted to it.

Insofar as the tires are concerned, it has the optional larger Firestone Wilderness A/T P245X75RX16. I will be doing almost exclusively city/suburban/highway driving (I was debating if I needed a 4x4 in the first place). So, I think I'll be staying put for a while on the tires. According to the Firestone person I spoke with, I should get at least 50,000 miles out of them. They look pretty nice w/ the white writing on them (If I could only keep them looking that way!). With any larger size, I feel (and the tire man confirmed) I would be getting less smooth ride, though sturdier and more dependable for off-road driving.

With reference to the running boards, I was torn between the nerf bars (sportier) and aluminum running boards (more practical). I let the practical part win and placed an order for the black anodized aluminum running boards, with a gray non-slip hard strip across. They provide longer/wider coverage, are longer in the back (to the rear wheel well), which would help trying to reach something in the bed of the truck, and provide better protection to the body from flying gravel, because they are capped at both ends. In addition, they come with a 5 or 6 yr warranty and cost $100 less than the nerf bars. The only thing I did not like about them, is they will have to drill to install them, versus the use of just braces for the installation of nerf bars.
  • Options
    dannygdannyg Member Posts: 131
    At the risk of offending the off-road crowd, I for one would like the standard 4x2 trucks to ride lower to the ground since they aren't going off road like the 4x4s. Sure, offer a "Prerunner"-type option for people that want their 4x2s to look like 4x4s. But at least offer the option of a lower-to-the-ground 4x2. This would offer a number of advantages for the millions of people who DON'T use their pickups off-road:

--easier to get in/out (see #209 who mentions his wife has trouble getting into his truck, a common problem);
    --better MPG (lower wind resistance);
    --easier to load/unload the bed.

In the old days, 4x2s rode lower than 4x4s. I think we should go back to that.

Just my thoughts.
  • Options
    danny25danny25 Member Posts: 119
    Who doesn't offer a lower ride height for their trucks. Ford does with the XLT, and Mazda does with their SE trim. And for a higher ride Ford has the Edge, and Mazda has the Dual Sport.
  • Options
    superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    If I had em on my truck, I'd take vince's advice, run, don't walk to your nearest Discount/America's tire company.
  • Options
    superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    Some of the 2wd trucks....and not the "I want you to think its 4wd" ride higher because of heavy duty suspensions that are capable of doing alot of work and/or are able to handle unpaved roads.
  • Options
    dmoulddmould Member Posts: 76
    Personally, I have no use for the high riding 2wd trucks. They offer all of the negatives of a 4wd truck (poor handling, loading disadvantage, greater fuel consumption, etc) without the benefit of enhanced traction. They don't have higher payloads than the standard height 2wd - at least in Ford/Mazda. The regular height trucks still offer enough ground clearance to climb the odd curb. I like a truck that can haul my snowmobile or bicycle, but can still go around a corner with some enthusiasm - and that's why my current/next truck is a 2wd Ranger XLT.
  • Options
    The Ranger called "Adrenalin" is rumored to be just around the corner. I guess its going to sport a different V6, sporty looks, tuned suspension, the works. Its going to compete with the Extreme from Chevy.
    Today I saw a new 2001 Ranger sport in black. Wow! an eye catcher no doubt. Ford doesn't badge their trucks as either having a 3.0 or 4.0, kind of wish they would though. From what I can tell by the exterior I would bet it had the new SOHC 4.0 in it. It had power mirrors and a toneau cover and looked like it had the 245 tires. This person spent some money so I had to assume the opted for the SOHC 4.0..... Just a thought.
  • Options
    wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    What ever happened to the wife's Contour?
  • Options
    blksn8kblksn8k Member Posts: 36
    Has anyone heard when the Off-road package will be available on the 2001 Ranger? The only info I have seen is the caption under one of Edmund's photos that says fall of 2001. I hope that is a misprint as this package appears to have everything I want. Last time I checked, Ford's website did not mention it. I'm pretty sure I will wait until it's available. The 94 should make it a few thou more. Just turned 102,000! Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    Just saw response #'s 198 & 199. What can I say, I'm new here, not familiar with the format, etc., etc. Sorry. I hope Jan-Feb is correct for the Off-road Package. Sounds awesome!
  • Options
    ranger2001xltranger2001xlt Member Posts: 85
    Yes this is available now, wiht either the XLT or Edge. The XLT pkg code is 394A. I don't know what the Edges ordering code is.
    The dealers around me have alot of these on their lots. I just ordered a ranger but did not want the OffRoad pkg, as it adds about $800 to the price and the only thing it includes is the skidplates, side step bars and offroad shocks.
  • Options
    hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    I'm looking to buy a soft type tonneau cover for my 98 Ranger and would like to get opinions on what brands other Ranger owners are using, likes and dislikes. Whether plastic snaps are better that metal snaps or velcro type or the stretch snapless type. Any input would be appreciated.
  • Options
    I am beginning to suspect that Ford has plans to offer a different Off-road package than the 394A with much more content. From what I have seen so far, it will be something similar to Toyota's TRD pkg. Edmund's First Drive article mentioned skid plates, Bilstein shocks, a Torsen diff, manual shift for the transfer case, sport bucket seats, a heavier rear axle, etc. Unfortunately it also mentions an estimated price of $2000. One of the magazine tests (maybe Road & Track?) also mentioned B.F.Goodrich TA's. I agree that the current package has questionable worth, but I hope there is more to come.
  • Options
    I have the Lund Premier cover on my 94 Splash SC 4x4. Actually when I bought it in Nov of 93, it was still made under the Luxxus (sp?) brand name. It has plastic snaps in the aluminum frame rails and mating stainless steel snaps in the cover. No serious problems. I did replace the vinyl about a year ago due mostly to the lousy weather here in Ohio. My only complaint is that it needs 3 bows instead of the 2 it came with. I would check with Lund since I'm sure they have made design changes since I bought mine.
  • Options
    fredfred3fredfred3 Member Posts: 73
    This is m first winter with my standard 2000 Ranger. So far there has been no snow or ice but, judging from the handling in the rain, I am guessing these trucks dont hold the road to well in winter weather. Is that so? How do the rest of you handle winter with your Rangers. Any tips would be appreciated.
  • Options
    davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    Well, I just put 600 pounds of sand in the back, changed all four tires to snows, and also threw a shovel in the back. I have a 1995 2WD Ranger with 5 speed. The thing to remember in the winter is "Gentle control inputs." The biggest problem I've had with my Ranger is getting started in snow or slick areas. I have the standard differential in the back so one wheel spins while the other one just kind of hangs out and doesn't do anything. I've thought about installing a locker in the rear end but many people have told me that can make for scary handling in the dry when going around corners. Bottom line....You can make it work, but you can't be in a hurry!
  • Options
    Good advice about not being in a hurry! You said you put 600 pounds of sand in the back....are you using sandbags or did you just fill the bed with sand? I was wondering which was better....sand bags or cinder blocks. I also have the standard 2wd 5spd.
  • Options
    I work at a masonry supply yard so I could have had bags of sand, loose sand, concrete blocks, etc... I like to use bags of sand because it keeps the bed neat and leaves me some room that is still usable. I usually open one or two bags and put them in a five gallon bucket. This way if I need some sand to spread on the ground for traction I don't have a half bag sliding around the bed and spilling everwhere. I wouldn't reccomend filling the bed! You'd probably have over 2000 lbs of sand in a full bed and that might just be over doing it! Good luck!
  • Options
    LOL....no I didnt mean fill the bed completely...I just meant did you pour it in. Do you know good places to buy sandbags and about how much they run apiece? I think I am going to try the same thing you are doing. Thanks
  • Options
    Try any home depot or lowes. We sell 50 lb bags of sand for $3.00 in NY City so I wouldn't pay more than that!
  • Options
    zartanzartan Member Posts: 9
    i just felt the need to provide an update on my ranger for anyone considering a used version of the great little truck. my 94 2.3 5m regular cab has 94,600 on it. ive had a ball joint replaced, both u-joints, 4 new tires, and front brakes. those are the repairs i felt i HAD to do. there are some small things wrong: fan control only runs on high, cat shield is loose and rattles, spark plugs were installed with compressed air as they are impossible to get out, belts are getting worn out. thats not too bad at all. the four is pretty dang slow but i get 25mpg (was better than that but i need a tune up badly). i would recommend the ranger to anyone. i dont believe in useless extravagances so to me, the new 2.3 xl ranger is the perfect vehicle. ill be looking to get a new ranger sometime in 2001. does anyone know if you can get the xl in 4x4 anymore?
    thanks!
  • Options
    breezinbreezin Member Posts: 3
    I'm new to this discussion format so i thought i'd just jump in anywhere. I'm close to my first new truck purchase. I like the agressive look of the edge. My ideal truck is an edge with power pkg, cruise, tilt steering with the 4 door ext cab. The height is nice and the 3.0 liter engine is all i'm going to need since i'm not hauling tons of stuff. I also dont want to pay over $20 grand for a "compact" pickup. I drove an edge extended cab with auto trans, an edge reg cab with manual and tomorrow i'm gonna drive another edge ext cab this time with stick at a different dealer. Any body got any experience with the new edge?
  • Options
    5min4fighting5min4fighting Member Posts: 9
    I went over there and tried to use their build/price feature for the 2001 Ranger and it only gives the 2000 Ranger..
  • Options
    tacoma_trdtacoma_trd Member Posts: 135
    Ive been trying to build a new ranger on there for weeks and they have every 2001 model car/truck except the ranger. I dont know what it is.
  • Options
    Thanks David, I'll try the stores you mentioned. $3.00 a bag doesent sound bad at all. I live in New Jersey so I guess we'll both be experiencing the same winter weather if and when it hits
  • Options
    hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    For those of you that are talking about putting extra weight in the bed, try this. I live in Connecticut so we get or share of snow and ice. I go and buy about four bags of topsoil at the local Home Depot or Lowes at about $1.50 a 40 lb. bag and use them for weight. Usually I use 2-3 bags placed over the rear axle, for a lot of snow I use all 4, I made a small wooden frame shaped like the pound symbol but straight (#) to fit in between the wheel wells to keep the bags from sliding around. Then in the spring I just put the dirt into the garden or spread them in the wifes flower beds.
  • Options
    jdr944turbojdr944turbo Member Posts: 15
    Here a synopsis of my first year experiences with the 2000 Ford Ranger.

Vehicle - 2000 Ranger 2WD Trailhead with 3.0 V6 and 5sp manual. 7K miles so far....

Cons

1) Fuel Economy. Sometimes drops to 16 mpg for no reason. (Faulty fuel alcohol sensor enriching the mixture?). Anyhow, I drive pretty conservatively. Sometimes it is 19 mpg, with no discernable change in driving habits.

2) Had to go to 89 octane to stop the pinging.

3) Engine power delivery and transmission shift quality have never been smooth.

4) The d*** turn signal lever. It won't stay switched if the steering wheel is in a slightly off center position. Have to turn wheel slightly to engage. VERY annoying!

5) The d*** turn signal lever! I can easily cancel it with my knee because the steering wheel column placement of the lever drops down, and lifting the left knee slightly when set for a left turn will cancel the turn signal.

6) General lack of power. Don't expect a sports car here, but 2 lane highway passing can sometimes be nerve-racking.

7) Flex Fuel? Where is the E-85? (Not in the southeast US).

8) Firestone Wilderness AT tires. Need I say more? (Firestone/Ford didn't recall the 16 inchers) Try to sell a vehicle right now with 'em on your truck! Hope you don't take 'em off road, you will be stuck in the 'Wilderness'.

9) The trailhead suspension can cause a little rough ride at times.

Pros

1) Brakes are excellent.
    2) A/C is excellent.

From my experience so far, it's a much better investment to get the F-150 (or any fullsize, for that matter). The only plus to the Ranger is the price of admission, the rest is negative on the Ranger side. And any 2WD Ford F-150 with a V-8 will get better overall mileage than I am getting, with an automatic trans! For instance, my Mom's '98 2WD Expedition with 5.4 Triton averages 16 mpg, and she's no slow driver. (Expeditions are *heavy*)

The main reason for my downsizing from a F-150 was the lower cost of operation. But the fuel economy is the same (or worse), the insurance cost is the same, and the depreciation is much worse.

Anyhow, I'm off the the friendly FORD dealer (or Toyota Dealer for a Tundra) to trade it in. You will also notice the biggest negative of all with the Rangers. A dramatic loss of resale value.

Just my experiences.....
  • Options
    A happy camper? I agree about the gas mileage. It's not very good. Not as good as my Contour, thats for sure!
  • Options
    kit1404kit1404 Member Posts: 124
    I've made that point before though - guess you sometimes truly get what you pay for. Back to the winter traction thing: build a 2X4 framework around your wheelwells, place in big concrete blocks. Instantly - you have traction and they will stay there. Agreed, you have to drill into your bed to secure the framework, but trust me - it does work. Load that sucker down right over the rear axle and just leave it there for as long as you need it.
  • Options
    Another Point:

Even though Consumer Reports gives a vehicle (the Ranger in this case) a 'Recommended' rating, this , in my experience, is meaningless. This was one of my major considerations in choosing the Ranger, but my owner experience tells me otherwise. I can't believe now in retrospect that CR would recommend this vehicle.

BTW, I am a lifetime Ford Truck owner. Have been generally happy with all my Ford products up until this one.

Also BTW, when Ford sent my my owner's survey on the truck I made no doubt I was *very* dissatified. What I got from FoMoCo in response was an automatically generated, corporate 'sympathy' postcard saying to the effect, "Sorry about your dissatisfaction, too bad". I really don't think Ford really cares about the customer anymore, even if you are a multiple repeat customer. I'm not gonna whine to the Ford sales or customer reps anymore. I'll let my next purchase decision ($$$) speak for me.

My friends who have Toyotas have all been treated quite well after the sale. Hmmmmm......

Don't know if FoMoCo wants to keep me as a customer. Drove a loaded F-150 2WD Lariat SC last night. We'll wait and see what the dealer comes back with for price with trade-in.

Just venting....

(At least I've still got my '75 Bronco. Now THAT'S a real truck!)
  • Options
    And, I also agree that the 1998 Ranger that I had was the only real disappointment I have ever had with a Ford product. I think you would be happy with the F-150. There is something to be said for where the development dollars have been going - the Ranger still gets left-overs. The F-Series trucks have been getting top engineering and development dollars and it shows.
  • Options
    Yes, I agree the F-150's are really well engineered vehicles. Especially with the Triton V-8's. Hope they will introduce the DOHC version someday to the truck line-up. (Now just limited to the Lincoln Navigator).

Yeah, I don't know who came up with those 'So Sorry, too bad' postcards at Ford, but they need to get a reality check. It definately had a negative impact on me.

I just feel, and this is my opinion, that if you are a repeat buyer of Ford products and you are unhappy with your current vehicle, Ford should treat you better if you want to trade for another Ford vehicle to keep you in the Ford camp. This means above average trade-in value or a better price break on the new vehicle. They have done it before. They used to send out rebate coupons for previous F-150 owners to get a $1000 rebate on a new F-150 just to trade up. (Wish I had taken advantage when I had my '93 F-150.)

A company's greatest asset is repeat customers. Brand loyalty is the hardest thing for competitors to overcome. And repeat customers are normally the best cheerleaders for the product since the best advertisement is always word-of-mouth.
  • Options
    dannygdannyg Member Posts: 131
    The Ranger-vs.-F150 comments are very interesting. It seems the old lo-tech 3.0L just doesn't offer a significant MPG advantage versus the excellent new small V8s from Ford (and the 4.8L from Chevy).

So it seems that we're really down to two engine choices for the Ranger: the upcoming new 140hp OHC 2.3L 4cyl and the new 200hp 4.0L V6. I for one am interested in MPG, so I'm waiting to test the new 2.3L 4cyl. After years of driving my old 2.8L V6 4x4 Ranger (16mpg around town, 19mpg highway), I really want better MPG in my next truck.

Personally, I prefer the Ranger for a few other reasons:

--the compact size, easier to park etc.;
    --I don't want/need the large bed in the full-size;
    --the lower ride-height of the Ranger 4x2 (easier entry/exit for my girlfriend);
    --appearance (the new 2001s look good);
    --price!
  • Options
    5min4fighting5min4fighting Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone tried to put a car seat in the Ranger
    Supercab?? I dont plan on doing it all the time
    but just in case I NEED to...
  • Options
    You have to ask yourself a question. If all Rangers are so bad why is the Ranger continually the best selling compact truck on the market for 14 years? Don't you think by now people would have stopped buying them? A quality engineer summed it up. Its obvious there are more good Rangers on the road than bad, there are more satisfied owners than unsatisfied, otherwise the Ranger line and name would have lasted all but one 4 year model cycle.....
    I have stories too.
    My first Ranger went 96,000 miles WITH NO PROBLEMS at all. I used it as a real 4x4 in my fishing and hunting serches. In no way did I baby this truck in its las 25K miles. The F150 is a good truck no doubt. But has its limits as a 4x4 vehicle. You couln't fit an F150 onto some of the trails I take my Ranger, you could not turn your F150 around in places I can turn my Ranger. I am no on my second Ranger, a 1998 SC 4x4 XLT 4.0 5spd, 3.73 rearend, offroad pkg, tow pkg, the works. This truck now has about 30K on it WITH NO PROBLEMS.
  • Options
    da763da763 Member Posts: 14
    Vince8,

I agree that the Rangers are still good vehicles. When equipped properly, they are capable of long, reliable service. Know many people with high mileage Rangers (and Bronco II's) that are satisfied. But none that I know of are overly *enthusiastic* about the Ranger, just satisfied.

But, with such a long development history, you would think the trucks would be a little more refined, especially in the drivetrain area. The overall quality of these vehicles depends on who you talk to. Some people are more satisfied, some less, me being the latter.

I knew the truck was not that refined when I bought it. Turned out that, in the long run, I wasn't gonna be satisfied with that, along with some disappointing vehicle performance.

The definition of quality is the degree to which the customer is satisfied. Or, to put it another way, does the customer think they got there money's worth? It's all a matter of the customer's opinion. If I paid $15K for a vehicle, I want what I consider $15K worth of value. If I get that or more than $15K worth, I'm happy.

In my case, the MPG is the biggest dissapointment. Given my driving habits, the average should fall between 17 and 21. This has never been the case, even after allowing for a break-in period. (It has seem to get worse, as of late).

So, anyhow, I would be much more satisfied to be back in a F-150. Others may not. Just expressing my opinions, pro and con, since there may be others like me who might be considering the switch to a smaller truck, of *any* manufacturer.

One other CON of the Ranger: Does anybody know why the corregations of the pickup bed floor are so wide and *deep*? I assume this is to give the bed stiffness, but the sizing of the channels makes small things like gas cans easy to tip over since they will tilt if an edge falls into one of the channel valleys. It also makes walking in the pickup bed uncomfortable and awkward.

No other manufacturer makes 'em so deep, so it can't be neccesary. May have an advantage, but I find it strange.

Later,

My FoMoCo hall of fame:

'75 Bronco - Best 4WD vehicle *ever* (still own)
    '79 Ranchero - Don't laugh, it was a great car/truck. Went cross country twice. Nary problem.
    '87 Bronco II XLT 4WD - Great off road, that's it. (And you thought *today's* SUVs are easy to roll-over)
    '93 Ford F-150 XLT 2WD SC - Good, straight forward truck
    '00 Ranger XL Trailhead - Decent, for the money
  • Options
    88scott88scott Member Posts: 3
    Hello people... I'm Thinking about getting a new Truck this year. But I'm holding out for a "fair" financing rate to come along. So In the meantime I stopped at a couple of Ford dealerships in my area to get some prices on new 2001 Ranger's. I told the salesman what I wanted for options and color and he made a computer print out of the Inv. price and the Retail price. But one thing I seen but forgot to ask him was, on the "quote" was something called "FDAF Assessment" for $185.00. What is this? Is this the dealers way at getting me to pay for advertising? Or is this something else?
  • Options
    I did test drive a 2001 Ranger the other day. A 4x4 off-road xlt pkg. truck. Is it normal for the steering to be so stiff? That was the only thing I was not happy with.
  • Options
    rhenschel7rhenschel7 Member Posts: 1
    I know there's a special topic on this, but there hasn't been much activity so I thought I'd post here. I am considering a 2001 Ranger and am wondering if I should spend the extra money for the 4.0 engine.

I have not driven 2001 versions of either, but from other posts, it doesn't sound like there will be much difference is gas mileage. Is that true? I expect there to be a noticeable difference in performance, but if the gas mileage is the same, I might as well go with the more powerful engine.

What do the experts think? What are the pro's/con's of the 3.0 versus the 4.0 engine, other than initial cost?

Thanks!
  • Options
    xena1axena1a Member Posts: 286
    I would highly recommend the 4.0L SOHC over the 3.0L OHV. I haven't driven the 2001 with the 4.0L, but I can tell you about the 3.0L because my '99 Mazda 4X4 had the smaller V6.

Pros of the 3.0L:
    1. Respectable MPG. My Mazda B3000 got a solid 20 MPG in all-purpose driving. It got close to 22 MPG for hiway trips. Not bad for a 4X4 with 30" BFG All-Terrain tires.
    2. Decent as commuter, or for around town, or for off-road. For these applications, I really did not have any complaints about the 3.0L engine.

Cons of the 3.0L:
    1. Pinging. These engines seem to be notorious for their eventually pinging problems. Mine started at the 4500mi mark. Had to run 92 octane from that point on.
    2. Underpowered for road trips. This engine has trouble keeping up with fast traffic. Passing other vehicles on 2-lane roads can be a hair raising experience. Merging onto the interstate also did not inspire confidence.
    3. Noisy. Perhaps it was just me, but the engine noise eventually forced me to wear ear-plugs during my road trips with the 3.0L. Others may feel differently about this.

Conclusion:
    The cons listed above ultimately forced me to trade in the Mazda. I am now driving a '00 Dakota with a 4.7L V8. No knock against the Ranger or B-Series trucks. I think they are decent trucks. But get the 4.0L engine. There really is some truth in the idea that it is nice to have a bit more power because you might at some point actually need it. Good luck. Let us know what you decide...
  • Options
    Where is the value here? Where are the development dollars? I also understand that if you want a true 4X4 off-roader, it does require a small vehicle. But, face it - if you need that type of vehicle, the Ranger may not be the best choice anyway.

The Ranger is good enough, but only that much. I am disappointed in Ford's effort with this truck when there were so many better options right on the shelf. Seems like the sales numbers have driven the lack of product development. The sales numbers seem to me to have been good due to the product being basically cheap to buy - cheap to own may be another matter. (This little vehicle can be optioned out to cost as much as a good V-8 F-150.)

Frankly, if you ever owned an F-150 for very long, I don't think you would be happy with your Ranger or the price you paid for it especially on an every day basis. When you get into true off-roading, that is another matter due to the compact design of the Ranger. I hope Ford addresses this "value" issue soon and from what I read they are working on it. Catch-up may be harder than keeping-up would have been. Wonder where all those profits from Ranger sales have gone? Not into the Ranger development programs.
  • Options
    Does anyone feel that the dodge dakota is a good deal when comp. it with the ranger? I know that dodge has a v-8 option, but looking at the option list for dodge almost everything you might want you have to pay for. Even down to a block heater. Now with the XLT pkg on ranger almost everything is standard or "N/C". Only a few things are options. Also I know of 2 people at work for shure who had owned 2000 dodge trucks, one had a 2000 4x4 v-8 dakota and the other a 2000 fullsize ram 4x4 w/the 360. Now both had gone for the "Lemon" law with "pinging" from the motors. The dealer told them they can't do anything about it until dodge puts out a bulletin out on this problem. Has dodge solved this problem for 2001? Needless to saw they both own something else now. And for buying new trucks they both were not happy having to go round n round with dealer to get it fixed.
  • Options
    xena1axena1a Member Posts: 286
    88scott -

I'll toss in my 2 cents worth because I've owned both. I currently have a '00 Dakota and had a '99 Mazda B3000 (basically the same truck as the Ranger).

You're right in that the Dakota will be more expensive when compared to a similarly equipped Ranger. This is one of the secrets of the Ranger's popularity. No one pays MSRP for them. However, because sales at DC are down a bit this year, some nice deals can be found on the Dakota. For example, my Dakota MSRP'd for just under 24K. But with a customer preferred discount and a 2,000 dollar rebate, plus some haggling, I managed to get the truck for just under 21K. Considering the fact that the Dakota is a slightly bigger truck than other compacts (some would argue that it is actually a mid-size) plus it's more powerful engine (4.7L V8), I think that is a pretty competitive price. The truck is nicely optioned out and is a 4X4 Regular Cab. A similar Ranger or B-Series would probably be 2K less. Just keep in mind the main advantages of the Dakota - a bit bigger and more powerful...

As far as your quality concerns about Dodge, well, any major purchase requires a "leap of faith" to some degree. Shoot, I know a guy at work who bought a '00 Tacoma and has had some big trouble with it including a faulty electrical system and a recently replaced rear axle and one-half of the rear suspension. I can say that although I've had my Dakota for only 6 months, I've been very pleased with it. No problems. My brother has a '95 Ram 3/4 ton and tows his water skiing boat constantly during the summer months. Not a lick of trouble with his truck. I'm not aware of a pinging problem with the 4.7L engine. I have heard about some occasional warped rotors and a rear-end whine problem caused by bad gears in the differential. In years past, Dodge was notorious for bad automatic trannys. It appears that at least some of this problem was caused by owners towing while in overdrive.

So, there it is. All I can say is test drive them both. The Dakota and Ranger/B-Series trucks are both decent choices as far as I'm concerned. Keep in mind that they are slightly different and that the Ranger will always be lower in price. I'd be happy to answer any additional questions you might have about the Dakota, or the Mazda, for that matter...
  • Options
    I agree with the pinging problems with the 3.0L V6's. My 2000 Ranger required 89 octane within 5K miles. It's only at 7K miles now and sometimes the 89 octane pings, even now that it's winter. It's usually worse during hot days.

Strangely enough, even the big 5.4L Tritons that I have direct experience with are all happy on 87 octane gas. Don't know why.
  • Options
    I don't know why the 3.0 V6 engines don't have knock sensors in order to retard the spark timing in order to stop the ping. You would think this was a necessity with a modern engine, even more given the fact that all 3.0L engines in the Rangers are FlexFuel and will probably need more spark advance to run best on E-85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) fuel.

The tendancy to ping may come from a compromise for the flex-fuel requirement of having a higher compression ratio than normal to accomadate ethanol's higher octane rating. This may put the base compression ratio at the edge for 87 octane fuel. But the fact that all these engines are starting the pinging so *early* in their life points to poor combustion chamber design, not combustion chamber deposits which normally raise an engine's octane requirement as it ages.
  • Options
    It is disturbing to hear about this pinging phenomenon. Is it considered a warranty item??
  • Options
    Here in Georgia and Alabama there are no gasoline outlets that sell this stuff.
  • Options
    All 1999 and 2000 model Rangers with a 3.0L V6 engine are 'flexible fuel' compatible. In the Ranger's case, the flexible fuels are gasoline or E-85 or any mixture of the two. The fuel delivery system has an ethanol concentration sensor in the fuel line that measures the amount of ethanol in the fuel and adjusts the mixture accordingly.

The ethanol fuel approved for sale is E-85, meaning an 85% mixture of ethanol and gasoline. The gasoline is added as a denaturing additive (so you can't drink it), and to improve cold start performance (gasoline vaporizes better when it's cold). Ethanol has some great benifits as a fuel: High octane (110!), clean burning, and it's renewable. Cons are it's more expensive than gasoline, it's a strong organic solvent so you need compatible materials in your fuel system (i.e. NO aluminum), and you need *lots* of land to grow corn. ;)

Ethanol is also a better substitute for an oxygenate additive to fuel over MTBE. MTBE is added to gasoline now to improve emissions, but as many know, it has contaminated groundwater supplys nationwide. Ethanol degrades very quickly in the environment, so it's enviromnental inpact is negligible compared to gasoline. (Gasoline spills do eventually break down naturally in the environment, but very slowly and still leave small amounts of carcinogens like benzene. MTBE doesn't seem to break down at all). Oil companies don't like ethanol since they can't make it from crude oil, like they can with MTBE.

This may be ethanols trump card to start gaining acceptance and market share. California is already banning MTBE and going to require that ethanol be substituted. Of course, the oil companies are arguing that the MTBE groundwater contamination problems is a reason to remove the oxygenate requirement completely...
    Of course, *they* came up with the stuff!

BTW, all modern fuel injection system materials are now compatible with ethanol fuel mixtures.

Here in Georgia, the story is the same => E-85 no where to be found. It's only in the mid-West apparently where there are millions of acres of corn and several ethanol plants. But then again there is a great tradition of moonshine making here :)......

More ethanol fuel and E-85 info can be found at http://www.ethanol.org
  • Options
    If the motor starts pinging, then I will take it to Ford service and ask them what to do.

JDR944turbo - Thankyou for the information on the Flex fuel. I believe I read somewhere that the "dual fuel" feature is no longer offered on the 3.0 motor in 2001.
This discussion has been closed.