Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover Sport

eelpouteelpout Member Posts: 32
Official info from LR is starting to come out: http://autoindex.org/news.plt?no=984

Comments

• 5discos5discos Member Posts: 3
    More details also available on official Land Rover web site http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehicles/overview.htm

Click on something new is coming on lower right
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    PREMIUM SPORTS TOURER EMPHASIZES PERFORMANCE

IRVINE, Calif., Nov. 26, 2004- Land Rover has released the first photographs of Range Rover Sport, an entirely new vehicle from the world's leading sport-utility vehicle manufacturer. A true performance vehicle, Range Rover Sport is optimized for fast, comfortable long-distance driving. The addition of Range Rover Sport marks the fifth nameplate for the brand and complements the flagship Range Rover.

Powered in top-line form by a supercharged 390hp 4.2-liter V8 engine, Range Rover Sport will deliver the highest degree of power ever available on a Land Rover model. A normally aspirated V8 engine option will also be available.

Excellent on-road dynamics are delivered through Land Rover's new Dynamic Response suspension system and performance-tuned chassis. The innovative system, making its debut on Range Rover Sport, senses cornering forces and acts to optimize body control and handling. It also decouples off-road to allow greater wheel articulation during tough all-terrain driving.

"Range Rover Sport takes us into the growing performance SUV market, but is different from all rivals," says Matthew Taylor, Managing Director of Land Rover. "We see it as a less frenetic, more refined alternative to existing performance SUVs. It is ideal for fast, comfortable, long-distance driving and practical enough for everyday use. Yet it is also exceptional off-road, offering better all-terrain ability than any competitor. Like all Land Rover products, it offers the broadest range of capability in its class."

With its aerodynamic and muscular exterior design, Range Rover Sport's stance is powerful and aggressive. The five-door body style with single-piece rear aluminum tailgate adds to the dynamic look and feel of the vehicle.

"It is the best 'driver's vehicle' that Land Rover has ever made," adds Taylor. "There is the traditional Land Rover command driving position, yet the cockpit is more cocooning than the SUV norm."

Range Rover Sport will be unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in January, and will be available in North America in summer of 2005.

Pricing and detailed specification will be announced closer to launch date, but is expected to fit between LR3 and Range Rover in the Land Rover product range.

Land Rover North America is part of Aston Martin Jaguar Land Rover with headquarters in Irvine, California. Land Rover established operations in the U.S. in 1986, and now imports and distributes Range Rover, LR3 and Freelander vehicles manufactured by Land Rover in Solihull, England. Land Rover's worldwide operations are wholly owned by Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, Michigan. For information about the Land Rover retailer nearest you, call 800-FIND-4WD or log on to www.LandRoverusa.com.

• transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    Just curious: what kind of four-wheel drive will the Rnage Rover Sport have? Will the differential in the front be open (like the LR3) or limited slip?
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    I doubt if the front diff will be limited slip. The LR3 is already an outstanding off-road vehicle without this feature. The Range Rover Sport will appeal more to people wanting a BMW X5 or Porsche Cayenne type vehicle. Neither of these vehicles offer front or rear locking diffs.
    I searched the Internet again for specs on the forthcoming Range Rover Sport but came up pretty dry. For instance, what will the cargo space be with the rear seat folded? The luxury Range Rover has only 62 cu. ft, so I would be hoping for a lot more in the Sport.
  • eelpouteelpout Member Posts: 32
    we should know more on the 9th or 10th of January when the press conferences at the North American International Auto Show start.

But, I wouldn't expect it to be any larger than the big RR's, it's a smaller vehicle designed more for driving than utility, where the LR3 fits in. If it is bigger (like X3 vs. X5) than Land Rover is seriously under cutting their Range Rover sales even more. The LR3 is already sounding like a superior vehicle to the big RR in many ways (noise, ride etc.) and the Sport is based on the same chassis as the LR3.
  • 3jack3jack Member Posts: 1
    Check out the latest issue of Motor Trend magazine. There is a 3 page spread on the new RR Sport. According to the article, pricing will be between $63,000 and $78,000 depending on engine choice and other options such as laser cruise control, a first for LR. The dash looks much like the LR3. IMO, kinda cheap looking for a $70,000 vehicle.
    what's the article say the cargo capacity is?
    one interesting thing in that article is that the rear hatch isn't a split door arrangement. because the Sport is more oval in shape they couldn't make it work like the normal RR, so they have a standard one piece hatch instead (i'm assuming lift-up, article wasn't clear). but the window can open too for throwing groceries in and stuff. take that GX470. ;-)

to answer my own question, there was no mention of cargo capacities.
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Range Rover sales for December reached an all time high, so I doubt that LR3 is hurting Range Rover sales.
  • nabzynabzy Member Posts: 29
    From surfing the US landrover site saw 2 really well put together videos one of the new range sport and one of the 2006 supercharged range, showing off all the new goodies, looks great....

seems like the 2006 models will be coming sooner rather than later given they are showing 3 minute videos and have detailed info on the site already....

The Uk landrover site also has new info on the sport......
  • sta2sta2 Member Posts: 19
    love the fold flat seats in the new LR3. It lloks like most of the underpinnings and interior for the RR Sport is from the LR3.

Can anyone tell me if the 2nd. row seats will fold flat!

Thanks
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I had the chance to get a up close look at this new Rover at the Detroit autoshow this past weekend, and I must say I like the whole package. It has the classic Range Rover looks, but it much smaller and not so upright and bulbous looking. The interior is much sportier and with the top model packing the Jaguar r-series cars supercharged (390hp) V8 it should be a performer, but still not a Cayenne turbo killer.

M
    So, merc1, stop with the suspense: What's the cargo capacity? Will the 2nd row seats fold flat?
    I wish I could tell you, but the vechicles weren't open at Detroit on the day I went.

M
  • calbritcalbrit Member Posts: 24
    Some dealers have just been asked by LR what RR Sports they would like in the first consignment. At the moment dealers do not have any more info than is out in the public domain. Dealers are allowed to select from the Orange or Black Exterior and 300hp engine or 390hp engine for their deliveries, no mention of any other options.
  • calbritcalbrit Member Posts: 24
    LR has had a tough time with the LR3 and HSE model availability. I am afraid, this might be true with the RR Sport and the Supercharged engine. Plans are to build 15-30% (assume 15%) with the supercharged engine. This could mean large shortages and waiting lists.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    Range Rover Sport?!? How silly! Attaching the car to the name will probably deter Range Rover customers, because it doesn't...... look.... classy. They probably should have called it the LR3 Sport or whatever. It might be a hit, so don't take what I say super seriously. Just not my cup of tea. And certainly not some of the more affluent Range Rover buyers, who would rather forego the silly looking orange paint. I looked at Motor Trend, and the interior wasn't nearly as good as the Range Rover's.
    I too have wondered why they didn't go with a completely different name. It could be confusing for some buyers. Kinda like what Mitsu did with the Montero and then a Montero Sport. Kinda silly imo.

M
    Range Rover Sport is a smaller, sportier version of the Range Rover; therefore I think the name makes sense. I saw one at the recent Philadelphia Auto Show but it was locked. From what I could tell, the interior has no wood trim and seems rather cheaper-looking than the Range Rover.
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Any performance numbers yet? It would be pretty bad if a $23,000 Subaru Forester XT can outperform this thing!
    North American dealers now have a "pre-order" form that includes the models that will be available. Pricing has not been announced.

Range Rover Sport V8 HSE includes:

* 4.4-liter 300-hp V8 engine
    * Navigation- Full-color, on- and off-road, voice recognition
    * Power sunroof
    * Bi-Xenon headlights
    * harmon/kardon LOGIC7 premium audio system (13 speakers, 6-CD in-dash)
    * Park Distance Control (front and rear)
    * Privacy glass
    * Homelink
    * Leather seating surfaces
    * Front fog lights, headlight powerwash, automatic headlights
    * Rain-sensing wipers
    * Front, size-curtain and thorax airbags SRS (6 total)
    * Memory driver's seat and exterior mirrors (3 settings)

Range Rover Sport V8 HSE LUX includes HSE standard features plus:

* Cold Clim Package (includes dual-stage heated front seats with time-out, heated rear seats, heated front windshield and heated washer jets)
    * Premium leather seating surfaces
    * Wood trim
    * Cooler box (delayed availability)

Range Rover Sport V8 SUPERCHARGED includes HSE LUX standard features plus:

* 4.2-liter 390-hp supercharged V8 engine
    * 20-inch alloy wheels
    * Adaptive Front-Lighting System
    * Unique leather seats
    * Dynamic Package (includes Dynamic Response suspension sysem, Brembo brakes)
    * Chrome exhaust extensions
    * Unique finish and style grille and side-air vents

Options (for features not included in a specific trim):

* 20-inch SC alloy wheels (delayed availability)
    * Rear locking differential
    * DVD rear-seat entertainment
    * Satellite radio
    * Personal Telephone Integration (Bluetooth)
    * Cold Climate Package (includes dual-stage heated front seats with time-out, heated rear seats, heated front windshield and heated washer jets)
    * Dynamic Package (delayed availability)

Exterior Colors:

* Vesuvius Orange - Available on Supercharged only (limited)
    * Zambezi Silver
    * Bonatti Grey
    * Rimini Red
    * Arctic Blue
    * Buckingham Blue
    * Chawton White
    * Cairns Blue
    * Giverny Green
    * Maya Gold
    * Tonga Green Pearlescent
    * Java Black Pearlescent

Interior Colors:

HSE:

* Ebony seats/Ebony carpets
    * Alpaca seats/Alpaca carpets
    * Aspect seats/Aspect carpets

HSE LUX:

* Alpaca seats/Alpaca carpets
    * Ivory seats/Aspen carpets

SUPERCHARGED:

* Ivory seats/Ebony carpets

--- Specifications subject to change ---
    Sorry, a few errors... too late to hit "edit" to fix it:

HSE's "Aspect seats/Aspect carpets" is really "Aspen seats/Aspen carpets"

And there are two "options" that didn't get listed:

* Adaptive Front-Lighting System (HSE LUX only)
    * Adaptive Cruise Control (Supercharged only)
    Sounds delicious. Between this and the new LR3 and the revised Range Rover, Land Rover should have some record years - 2005 and 2006.

M
    Here is yesteday's pricing announcement:

IRVINE, Calif., March 21 -- Land Rover North America today announced U.S. pricing for the all-new Range Rover Sport. The manufacturer's suggested retail price for the HSE model will be $56,750. The supercharged model will retail for $69,750. A true performance vehicle, Range Rover Sport will feature a powerful V8 engine, inspiring and sophisticated on-road capability and the first application of Land Rover's Dynamic Response system.
    "Range Rover Sport is a high-speed, performance-oriented luxury SUV," said Richard Beattie, Executive Vice President, Land Rover North America. "As the best driver's vehicle Land Rover has ever made, it is ideal for fast,comfortable, long-distance driving, and a fitting compliment to our award-winning Range Rover."
    The HSE model is equipped with a naturally aspirated 4.4-liter V8 engine with 300bhp, while the supercharged model has a powerful 4.2-liter V8 producing 390bhp.
    Range Rover Sport delivers inspiring and refined performance on all surfaces, and as expected from a Land Rover, it is supremely capable off-road. Both on- and off-road capability is enhanced with Land Rover's Terrain Response(TM) system, agile, electronically controlled airspring suspension,and one of Land Rover's newest technologies, Dynamic Response. Standard on the supercharged model, this computer-controlled active anti-roll system senses cornering forces, and acts to optimize body control and handling. This technology is one of the key reasons why Range Rover Sport has the agility and handling of a much smaller, sporty vehicle. It also decouples off-road to allow greater wheel articulation during tough, all-terrain driving.
    Range Rover Sport takes on several traditional Range Rover styling cues, including the floating roof. But it delivers its own interpretation on the theme, resulting in a tapered, flowing exterior design that makes it one of the most aerodynamic SUVs on the market. A comfortable interior with a 'driver-biased' sports cockpit, the Range Rover Sport offers spacious seating for five people and incorporates premium materials throughout.
    The supercharged models are fitted with 20-inch aluminum alloy wheels, while the HSE models come standard with 19-inch aluminum alloy wheels.
    All Range Rover Sport models come well-equipped with standard features such as DVD-based touch-screen navigation, bi-xenon headlights, sunroof, and a harman/kardon(R) LOGIC7(TM) audio system.
    In addition to the 4.2-liter V8 390bhp engine, the supercharged models include a unique grille, seating surfaces, power vents, chrome exhaust extension, Dynamic Response, Brembo front brakes, adaptive front lighting, the cold climate package, the above-mentioned 20-inch wheels and black-on-silver badging.
    Sales for Range Rover Sport will commence this summer.

** Prices include destination and delivery charges.
    2006 Range Rover Sport specifications in PDF format:

http://apps.us.landrover.com/future/sections/rrs/gallery/06RRS_Specifications.pdf
    Wow! That supercharged model is going for original Range Rover prices! I guess this means the original RR will move ever closer to the 100K mark, especially for its supercharged version.

M
  • hsquaredhsquared Member Posts: 2
    The performance numbers listed for the supercharged RR Sport are disappointing to say
    the least. It's slower than the X5 4.4i and the Cayenne S. Hell, it's slower than the supercharged RR. Hopefully Land Rover is being
    conservative with the numbers they released.
    did anyone else notice that the cargo space for the Sport, 71 cubic feet, is larger than the big RR's at 62? Not surprising I guess since the Sport is on the larger LR3 chassis.
  • lifeisgoodlifeisgood Member Posts: 6
    I just order my Range Rover Sport HSE, with the Luxury package. I looked at many luxury SUV's and the Range Rover is a stand out in its class. I'm not so shallow that I judge my SUV preference by horse power and quarter mile times. I have the means to buy whatever I find that meets my rigid standards for ride, driver comfort, amenities, style, fit and finish, durability, reliability, maintainability, technology integration, and attitude. The Range Rover Sport has risen the bar in this competitive class of luxury SUV's.
  • hsquaredhsquared Member Posts: 2
    To feel the need to let everyone know that you're
    not so shallow as to judge an SUV by horse power
    and quarter mile times, seems pretty shallow.

The tiny bit of marketing that Land Rover has
    done for the Range Rover Sport suggests that it's
    meant to be an X5 killer(my words). The
    performance numbers that they've released tell a
    different story. That doesn't mean it's not a
    worthwhile purchase. So, if you have the means,
    then by all means, get one.
  • bgreigbgreig Member Posts: 17
    Just saw one Friday; it was a company test car driven by the company rep visiting the dealer. Second seats do fold: bottom tilts forward and the back folds down.

They have my order!
    I believe center lock is standard, and rear lock is a $400 option.
    Full rear hatch opens up, and a section including the window opens up separately.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    The 2006 Range Rover Sport will use the new LR3's chassis

The LR3 has an...

(from edmunds.com)

"Integrated body frame is just a fancy way of saying that the LR3's traditional ladder frame is aided in crash-worthiness by a body that has almost unibodylike strength. In most typical body-on-frame designs, the frame provides all the strength while the bolted-on body simply holds the passengers. The LR3's body, though, has extra strong sills that literally envelope its frame. So closely does it wrap around, in fact, that in the case of an accident, the body is forced into the frame rails greatly adding to its strength. Land Rover says that this significantly increases resistance during offset crashes, the common bugaboo of body-on-frame designs."

The 300 hp 4.4 V-8 used in the LR3 is based on Jaguar's 4.2 V-8 but modified for off-road duty. Jaguar's V-8 is not a Ford V-8. Jaguar's 4.2 liter V-8 does not have the potential timing chain tensioner or nikasil problems of the 4.0 liter V-8 from the 1997-2000 XK8.

Check this link:

http://www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/v8_performance.html
    Are the tires and wheels (20") planned for the Supercharged Sport suitable for off road use? The low profile tires on my Mercedes S500 seem to work wonderfully on the road, though they wear out in 20k miles or less. And the tread design is anything but even "mud and snow." Will that be the case for the tires on the Supercharged Sport? Are these same profile tires offered on any Land Rover vehicle, and if so what is the experience with them off road?

Would a Supercharged Sport used for off road be better equipped with the standard tires and wheels of the regular Sport model?
  • madlawmadlaw Member Posts: 7
    Saw the Sport at the NYC show this past weekend. Was very impressed inside and out. HOWEVER, just saw the performance(or lack thereof) numbers and if correct this vehicle is a terrible joke. SUVs costing 1/2 as much as the 70k supercharged sport are as fast if not faster. If correct, the Sport is not a serious threat to anything except a select few pocketbooks.
  • simbahsimbah Member Posts: 9
    ..I also checked out the RR Sport at the NY auto show this past weekend, and was surprisingly underwelmed by the vehicle. I thought I would like it more up close and personal. I thought it was a slam dunk as my next vehicle, now there is definetly doubt on my part (or ho-hum) regarding interior styling/layout/cargo particularly ..and the performance numbers as stated don't astound.
    One positive is that it did re-affirm my lust for the current RR exterior styling.
    Get a new Dodge Magnum SRT8 if you want speed and cargo room.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    XKSS, I beg to differ with you. Sure, the engine now used by Rover is not the Jag V8 of yesteryear with the nikasil liner problems, but it IS a Ford V8 derived engine. Its basic architecture, bore centers, main line to fire deck surface dimension etc. are similar to the Ford V8. Naturally, most of the moving parts are different and the hang on accessories like the fuel system and electricals are all different but the basic lines came from Ford. No harm in any of this and probably it kept the initial development costs down.

Moreover, the V12 used by Aston is in a very basic sense, two V6 (Duratec?) Ford blocks bolted together. Now, I don't mean to imply that the V6 Taurus engine is simply 50% of the engine in a Vanquish and that your local junk yard could be a source of Aston Martin engine cores. But, when stripped of all internals and accessories, they are very similar. Before anyone gets angry at Aston for bolting two sixes together, this is an accepted practice in the engine world, and Detroit Diesel has done it for years.
    Do you or anyone else have anything specific about the Jaguar V8's origins? I know the Aston V12 started out as two Duratec V6s, but I always thought the Jaguar V8 was of their own creation - totally seperate of any Ford V8?

M
    Jaguar's V-8 is NOT a Ford-derived engine. Read this link:

Jaguar's V-8

You can email the people at that site to confirm what I have said.

Not to be rude, but have you heard an Aston Martin DB9's V-12?

DB9 video

One Aston Martin DBR9 won the 12 Hours of Sebring (GT1 class) last month for the first time since 1956.

The following is from http://astonmartins.com/db7/db7_v12_vantage.htm:

(Tim, who runs that site, would know a thing or two about Aston Martins)

"The 6.0 litre, 48 valve, all-alloy, 60º V12 engine delivers 420 bhp and 400lbs ft of torque. Developed in close co-operation with the Ford Research and Vehicle Technology Group and Cosworth Technology, the V12 was designed to operate at a maximum speed of 7000rpm, features four valves per cylinder, twin overhead camshafts for each bank of cylinders and a sophisticated Visteon electronic management system."
    IMO the Aston-Martin DB9 is the most beautiful production car in the world today!

M
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

xkss, I was wrong and I apologize. Clearly the Jag-sourced Rover engine is not Ford derived.
    no worries :)
    I was in the market for an SUV in December and for a variety of reasons (aesthetics, reliability, first year teething problems, a genetic dispostion against paying list price, etc.) felt that the LR3 at 50K wasn't a good deal compared to the X5 or the Cayenne (which I bought).

Now the Land Rover Sport is due out with an MSRP in the high 50's. This seems to be a fair price. If I didn't think (and still don't) that an LR3 is worth 50-51K why do I think that the Sport is worth 59K? Am I delusional?
    7-seat capable LR3 wasn't really a direct competitor to the X5 and Cayenne. It's obvious you weren't keen on the "pure utility" aspect of the LR3.

The RRS is aimed differently, much closer to the virtually utility-free X5... and, of course, the Cayenne. No delusion necessary.
    Will the Range Rover Sport accommodate a roof rack for carrying kayaks, bikes, etc.?