Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LS 460/LS 460L Styling Impressions

Comments

• Options
    wood930wood930 Member Posts: 5
    Have deposit down on expectation new LS would have AWD. Currently have 04 A8L and being in the midwest rwd not an option. very disappointing as in every other area Lexus is superior
  • Options
    billsoterbillsoter Member Posts: 49
    I'm not so sure that the LS460 will not have AWD as an option. In the specs listed on Lexus' web site the drive configuration is conspicuously absent. If it were only going to be RWD I would strongly suspect that the specs would have stated RWD.
  • Options
    lexusilexusi Member Posts: 65
    note this,
    "Individual DVD monitors for rear-seat passengers"

source:
    http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat/

well, will it have one headline monitor or individual monitors for each passagner as in the case of a first class airline?? thats wierd becoz Mr. Press said the same in the video "indiviual DVD systems"

this means it may have 2 dvds?? anyone think so?

Lexus Era

Lexusi
  • Options
    sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    I think the "ultra-lux" version, the one with the footrest on the right rear seat, is going to have 2 monitors (2 dvd players I don't know), while the lesser versions will have a single ceiling-mounted monitor as an option.
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I'd assume two monitors and one player. But they probably have added video and audio ports for each monitor so that you can watch a movie on one and play a video game on another. That's the way my cheap $278 Walmart system works.
  • Options
    callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    Lexus has been doing that for generations now.

DrFill
  • Options
    baller4ever85baller4ever85 Member Posts: 14
    why are they dropping the lexus link feature?? i have to admit i have hardly ever had to use it, but its nice to know you can use it in case something bad happens.
  • Options
    desertlexusdesertlexus Member Posts: 4
    You are preachin' to the choir! Personally, I wouldn't pull a hair for Bluetooth technology although I am admitedly a bit of a Luddite. But they must concede that in terms of safety, LexusLink is going to do a whole lot more for you if, God forbid, you're in an accident or have a medical emergency of some sort and don't have your phone handy or can't use it for whatever reason. It's apples and oranges; they're just not the same things. Include the Bluetooth; fine, I get it, but why sacrifice the LexusLink? It makes no sense to me and I'm seriously depressed about it...
  • Options
    ideleidele Member Posts: 200
    In the official press release one finds this intriguing statement:
    "The completely redesigned multi-link suspension system includes an all-new, variable-gear-ratio"
    It seems that besides the 8 speed transmission there will be a dual range final drive. I'd like to know more about this because my interpretation may be incorrect. If you have hard information, please post.
  • Options
    4lexus4lexus Member Posts: 2
    I am only guessing, but the reference to a "variable-gear-ratio" probably refers to the steering gear rather than the final drive.
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Don't know if anyone linked this but this site has a lot of pix plus the only shot I saw of the 9" rear monitor - scroll down about midway. Looks like that may be the option or standard equipment on the LS. Based on other reads though it would seem the LWB gets monitor options in both head rests instead. Don't know if that 9" flipdown would interfere with the inside rear view mirror or not. Looks like it might.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/01/08/detroit-2006-lexus-unveils-2007-ls-460-ls- -460l/
  • Options
    kenshin10kenshin10 Member Posts: 15
    Check out the video of the LS in motion from http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/AutoshowArticles/articleId=108790
  • Options
    jack27jack27 Member Posts: 5
    No need to guess guys: The next paragraph goes on to say !

"VDIM is an all-new system that integrates and manages a new Electronically Controlled Brake system (ECB), Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS) ....."
  • Options
    nexuslexusnexuslexus Member Posts: 147
    Some LS460L pictures:

If you are interested in some more (exterior mostly), just let me know.
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I am not sure if it has been mentioned before but it appears that the LS460 does *not* have body side proctective molding. Is this a new Toyota design thing? as the new Avalon does not have the body side moldings either.

So [nexuslexus] could you please post some exterior pics.
    Go Patriots!

• Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I'm assuming it's an issue with the percentage of folks who sign up and keep the LL active. If there's no profit in it, they'll drop it usually. I've been told that LL is a corner in the On-Star building with dedicated Lexus Employees who man it in Detroit. Perhaps the number of calls they get is poor as well. Frankly though, I'm surprised they dropped it as well, as OnStar seems to be catching on more.
  • Options
    desertlexusdesertlexus Member Posts: 4
    I'll give you the profit angle, that makes sense, unfortunately. But surely their decision wouldn't be based on call numbers. I mean, I rarely use mine either but that 's hardly the point, is it? It's all about the fact that it's there...peace of mind, you know?! Well worth the $400 or so per year, in my opinion.
  • Options
    pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    the trend among all manufacturers seems to be away from mody side protective moldings (with a few exceptions: RL, M, etc). Not sure why this is, except that beauty won out over practicality; however, even being careful, you can expect a load of parking lot dings before long. I have a nearly ten year old BMW 528 with body side moldings, and while it has endured some hits, it is amazing to me, after nearly 140K, how good the body still looks. I am sure I would not be able to say that without the moldings.
  • Options

• Options
    swisspraveenswisspraveen Member Posts: 14

does anybody know what happened to the cool aluminium grille on the concept?
    will they put it on the 600h?
  • Options
    jonpnjjonpnj Member Posts: 52
    That is one gorgeous interior. Why buy a Maybach if you can get a Lexus LS at a fraction of the cost. Can you post any interior shots of the dash regions? TIA :)
  • Options

• Options
    Intersting thing, it seems this car has like an audio grab function, it can record your songs directly to the HDD, i thought we might see something fancy like Wifi, but who knows, another thing is the 2000 songs in the pic, Mr. Press said clearly 4000 songs, i was amazed that day becoz we know its 8 GB, so it should carry at best 2000 songs, but no way 4000 songs! so why did Mr. Press say 4000!! Mistake?? i dont think so, i think you can add some kind of cards, like flash memory (USB) or compact flash, we will see how it works.

one last point, this car should play MP3 although no one mention it i dont suppose that they have it in the IS and wont have it in the LS, becoz the LS should have everything, so we will have MP3 support but not sure about the use of Ipod! anyhow this system also support DTS and Gracenote which is intersting feature "as i said earlier" becoz this function requires online service to work, so how it will work in the LS460, we also dont know.

just imagine, A DVD changer that can read MP3, each DVD is 4.7 GB almost 1000 songs!! X 6, + 2000 HDD + 2000 from another source, this car rocks, it can take all the songs recorded since ages :) IT TAKES 10,000 SONGS, yes 10,000!!

Lexusi
  • Options
    If I understood correctly, it will play the iPod.
  • Options
    wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    It better integrate the ipod fully with NAV display or they miss the audio boat. I would rather plug in an ipod than have to re-record music on a hard drive.
  • Options
    lexus460llexus460l Member Posts: 51
    i was just wondering if both sides of the rear seats have a massage feature and reclining seats. they specifically said that there was only one on the right side but that doesn't make any sense :confuse: :confuse:
  • Options
    I believe that the massage will be on both sides, as well recline, but the foot rest will only be on the right side.

This didn't make sense to me at first either, but now that I think about it, it does.

Cars like the maybach 62 are long enough to have footrests on both sides, but a car like the LS460l doesn't have enough room in the back to allow the drivers seat to go all the way back with the foot rest. Having a foot rest on the left would cut down on adjustability to the drivers seat, which would not be good.
  • Options
    No, massage is optional in LS460, and is standard in LS460L but only the right rear will have it in either cases, sorry to hear that too!!

Lexusi
  • Options
    mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    You are right. It has been said that the LS 600h will have the solid aluminum grille exclusively, and as well the exclusive headlights (I could be wrong about the headlights although I am 100% certain on the grille).

Love what they did with the new LS!

An all-round ENJOYABLE car. No contraversy here (ala the new German models).

Who needs a contraversial design when you can create a[n] [almost] unanimously loved one?
  • Options
    mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    What day did you take these? I went to the autoshow today and it clearly says 4,000. I also took a picture of the same display which I have right here (and can upload if somebody really wants to see it). It doesn't look like the 2,000 was changed to 4,000 with a sticker or anything. Strange.
  • Options
    I was at the autoshow today and this exact same display says 4,000 now. I doublechecked my picture just now. I also listened to the speaker/model introduce the car. She said it would hold 4,000 CDs (oops).

4000 songs into 8GB is 2MB/song. It depends on the average song length, file format and bit rate they are using for their calculations.

Next to the picture of the hard-drive display was a picture of an iPod and caption of "iPod/MP3/Windows Media Audio (WMA) Auxiliary Port."
  • Options
    That is very bizarre.

I took the pictures last Sunday. They must have had time to change the display since then.

About the iPod support, if my idea of an auxiliary port is correct, then it won't actually support the iPod functions, it will just have an audio in jack for you to play the iPod over the stereo system. I may be wrong here, though.
  • Options
    mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    On my 4GB iPod nano I have 52.1 MB of space left on it with 632 songs. "They" say that you should be able to store 1000 songs on this iPod but 1000 is just thrown around to give a ballpark figure in layman's terms. What is important to "us" who know what we are talking about is the actual size of the disk and its space.

Is it only 8 GB space on the new LS? I regret only getting a 4 GB iPod. I have 40ish albums and wish I had more disk space. :(
  • Options
    average song is 2.5 MB at least, and should not be below 128kbs, so it can only hold around around 3000 songs,

this is on the 8 GB HDD, its enough i think, but honestly i dont like the grab function, who have time to re-record all the songs, it should have file upload function, so you can upload mp3 directly (as a file, wish there is wifi, so you can upload from a laptop for example), but i think they are doing this for copy right sake only becoz it doesnt make sense!!

I LOVE THIS CAR

Lexusi
  • Options
    The battle will be hard this time, MB, BMW you better have something in your pockets, coz lexus will smoke you all!!

Lexus has also emboldened the exterior design, flaring and widening the wheel wells, pulling the roofline back, eliminating the door moldings, strengthening the sheetmetal's convex/concave intersections, and raising the tail end. Super sophisticated equipment including adaptive radar cruise control, a lane departure warning system (I posted this before, it is called LKA -Lane Keep Assist-), and infrared night vision technology are also available on the new 2007 Lexus LS 460.

Source: http://www.autoweb.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_id_in- t/976

Lexusi
  • Options
    jgo03jgo03 Member Posts: 4
    My local Lexus dealer thinks the hybrid may be the only one with AWD. What do you guys think of the LS 460 with AWD but matched to a 6 or 7 speed tranny instead of the new 8-speed??
  • Options
    hage57hage57 Member Posts: 24
    I'm interested in the LS 460l, but not in the reclining rear seat. Do any of you guys know if the LS 460l will be available w/o the reclining rear seat or the back seat console?
  • Options
    lexus460llexus460l Member Posts: 51
    the reclining seats will be optional but if you don't add it, it wont come with the car. The short wheelbase will definitly not have it but there is a big chance that the long wheelbase wont have it either
  • Options
    It depends on the file format and everything else I mentioned. Sony advertises 695 songs per 1GB. I think they are calculating based on the ATRAC3Plus format. By that standard, the Lexus would hold 5560 songs.
  • Options
    I don't understand your post.

The long wheelbase, as far as I know, is only available in the 4 seat version. I may be mistaken, though.
  • Options
    michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    I have an LS430 ULTRA and it has massage on both sides mine is an 01 it doesn't make sense that the 07 would not have it on both sides..
  • Options
    swisspraveenswisspraveen Member Posts: 14
    i have been thinking that both rear seats of a 460L will have massage (because the old ls has it) but only the right one will have a footrest (because the ls isnt long enough, as mentioned by someone else)

i might be wrong though
  • Options
    cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    My wife and I along with our daughter and son-in-law are going to the Auto Show this Saturday (Jan 21). This is my first ever show of this type. Do you "experts" have any tips on how to best use our time at the show? I believe we will be there from about 11:00 AM until 5:00PM. Obviously, I am very much looking forward to see the LS460, but I am sure there is a hell of a lot more to see in what is suppose to be the largest auto show in the world.

As an aside, I am very upset at my Patriots giving the game away to the Broncos. The stupid refs did not help at all either.
  • Options
    I think that will be enough time for you - but just start with the brands you like and have an interest in - save the the oddballs (or Buick) for last, and if you don't get to it, no prob.
  • Options
    cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    I appreciate this nvbanker. I'm also sure you're right about the "oddballs".
  • Options
    Also get a map, and map out your route. If you don't do this, you may find yourself running around too much- it is VERY big.

You can get a map at naias.com
  • Options
    billsoterbillsoter Member Posts: 49
    Does anyone know if the new Lexus LS460 will be shown at the DC show later this month?
  • Options
    Also, a great approach.
  • Options
    houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    Also does anyone know if there will be an LS460 at the Houston show beginning Jan 28. I assume they would have one roped off but at least to look at.
  • Options
    yak54yak54 Member Posts: 72
    Any info on a sport package for the short wheel base, tire sizes ect. I am hoping that the car will handle more like a BMW or MB. What do you knopw?