Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dano4dano4 Member Posts: 35
    Have had the same problem twice. The error message goes away when I stop and restart the engine. It has not been frequent enough to drive 90 miles to the dealer.
  • dano4dano4 Member Posts: 35
    I have an RL with 17000 miles purchased in December '04. I also live 90 miles from a dealer. Despite a few initial issues, it has been a great car and I plan to keep it. It is the best handling car I've owned, fun to drive and a techological marvel. On the downside, the trunk space could be better and I would like more rear seat leg room (I'm 6'3").

My last car was an LS 430 and each has some advantages over the other.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    I would not buy it, my car 05, with 1500 miles, been at the dealer for apporx 3 wks now...never ever agian I will buy an Acura product.

I've seen similar comments here and elsewhere about every LPS, except Lexus. Nearly every make of car will have its lemons and disgruntled owners. I'm on my third Acura and while they haven't been trouble free (nothing serious, though), I love Acuras and I love my 2005 RL.
  • cocopuffscocopuffs Member Posts: 6
    Thanks Pappy! You are correct---once the message was deleted (simply press delete) it was gone, and indeed the center light is the one to look at. The dealer warned me that if ANYTHING is on the passenger seat---some papers, cd holder, etc.---then it is possible for the airbag to be switched off--the sensor is sensitive.
    I believe the 2006 RL's owner's manual states that the title and listing of tracks on a CD or DVD-A should be listed on the Audio Screen as it is being played (noting that the CD or DVD-A must contain CD text), and so far not one CD or DVD-A of mine has done this. I find it hard to believe that none of them contain CD text, especially the newer ones, and the DVD-A's, but frankly I'm pretty ignorant about CD text and whether only a few CDs have it or not. Any wisdom here?
  • steve95008steve95008 Member Posts: 11
    I've had this problem before and after installing TSBs in March 2005. They were 05-005 Front Door Speakers; 05-006 XM/AcuraLink and 05-007 Power Control Module Update.
    Last week they installed 2 new TSBs: 05-022 (another) XM/AcuraLink Update and 05-027 (another) PCM Update.
    My dealer is hoping the lastest 2 TSBs will fix the AFS Errors... So far, no problems, but only time will tell. Both times they notified XM of the new radio ID, so service was not interrupted.
    Which TSBs were applied to your RL when your AFS problems started?
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    Actually most new CDs don't contain CD Text even now. Look at the logo on the CD and for the word "text" (depicted here: http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~aa571/cdtext.htm). Sometimes it may contain CD text without this logo, however.
  • tommyc1tommyc1 Member Posts: 5
    thanks for the feedback...it will be in for the 5th time this coming week
    4 of my friend have the car
    no feedback on seat however:

all have rattle in the same place in the dash
    all have had XM reception problems (SF)except me (first RL did)
    all have seat belt sign in "off" position when someone is sitting on passengers front seat
  • legend2rllegend2rl Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 RL with 20K. The AFS problem started in Nov 2004. Would have it looked at at every oil change/service visit. Finally, this month the dealership found a bad "steering angle sensor" malfunction and the part is on the way.

My gripe: The last time the AFS warning cilityame on I was pulling to a stop - FLASH - FLASH DING! and I bumped a Ford F250. Put a $832 dent in the front bumper. The dealership would not give me any relief but did suggest calling Acura Client services. The guy that called me said they had no responsibilty(True. It was my fault). But he was very arrogant, uncaring and hostile.. What a piece of work. So much for ACURA customer service.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    According to this week's Automotive News, Acura realizes that the RL is way overpriced, which explains its lagging sales. So in the fall they are going to introduce an RL with fewer features, and a price tag $7,000-$10,000 lower.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    So what you are saying is that the TL and RL will be around the same price, I don't believe Acura is going to introduce any new RL with fewer features.
  • bhelsdonbhelsdon Member Posts: 134
    I have an 04 TL with Nav. I was wondering if these buttons are supposed to light:
    1. Main cruise button on steering wheel.
    2. Select/reset button on trip computer.
    3. Both back buttons on the steering wheel for the voice commands.
    I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me if these buttons light up.
  • steve95008steve95008 Member Posts: 11
    After "hoping" the latest TSBs would fix my AFS Errors, my dealer replaced the "AFS Control Unit"... If that doesn't fix it, their plan is to replace the "steering angle sensor" next. I get the impression that Acura doesn't have a clue as to what is causing the errors or how to even diagnose the problem, so they are starting to replace parts in hopes that the problem will go away.
  • cavteccavtec Member Posts: 7
    Same,

My 2005 RL's headlights are HORRIBLE on unlighted roads. I can't see anything 50 in front of the car. There is a black curtain and total darkness. Hills are really bad. Wow is this unsafe. the dealer says this is normal.

This is a crash waiting to happen. Beware.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Even using your high beams on dark roads, you can't see?
    Hi beams work fine, but oncoming traffic, following other cars and curves limit their use. Really hard to see unless there are street lights.The light goes out about 50 feet and just stops.
  • fmkofmko Member Posts: 21
    Read the 40,000 long term test of the Acura RL, Car&Driver took it off it's 10 best list because of all the problems they had with the car, 8 unscheduled dealer visits to fix a host of problems, they were not happy with this car. These problems are going to affect the resale value of the car, especially if Consumer Reports rates the dependability very bad also. Saw a new one with 3,000 miles at the Cadillac dealership, stayed away from it. Read the April issue of Car&Driver, maybe they discuss a fix for their car that applies to yours as well.
  • legend2rllegend2rl Member Posts: 2
    I hope my problem is fixed. The Dealership, Ed Voyles Acura went beyond my expectations to address the arrogence problem I had with the "corporate" person that called me.

I highly recommend them
  • jts220jts220 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a buyback for AC compressor. Honda issues a certificate for the buyback reason. You should be able to verify through Acura. Also checked carfax, which will indicate service problems. I took mine to a differant dealer and it received a clean bill of health. So far very good expirience
  • ilasilas Member Posts: 18
    Nowhere in the article did they say the RL was removed from the list BECUASE of the problems they had. They said it was because it came up short with the M... (anyone who wants to can see the last sentence of the first paragraph in the scanned article available at www.acurazine.com). Further, they were quite positive with the way the car drove, etc, and said the engine and transmission had been flawless and smooth. Two service visits were because the dealer was incompetent in fixing the problem with the sunroof the first time.

Acura has a history of quality and dependability. Many other makers, including cadillac that you refer to, do not. Maybe CD got a rare problem car for this automaker.
  • drgkjedrgkje Member Posts: 21
    just bought a 2004 with navi...did not come with the user manual or the navi manual (on order)..does this car have bluetooth? Is it part of the navi system? thanks
  • racer_xracer_x Member Posts: 8
    fmko said:
    >>Read the 40,000 long term test of the Acura RL, Car&Driver took it off
    >>it's 10 best list because of all the problems they had with the car,
    >>8 unscheduled dealer visits to fix a host of problems, they were
    >>not happy with this car.

ilas responded:
    >Acura has a history of quality and dependability. Many other makers,
    >including cadillac that you refer to, do not. Maybe CD got a rare
    >problem car for this automaker.

Consumer Reports has issued their "Top Picks for 2006", in which they select the best models in 10 categories. The Infiniti M35/45 took top honors over the RL in the Luxury Sedan category. The Consumer Reports review of the RL concludes "We expect reliability to be average, according to our latest subscriber survey. [New Car Reliability: Average (3/5)]"

That's pretty damning for Acura, especially since the TL is the top rated Sedan in the $30k-40k range. However, it certainly appears to reflect and expand on exactly what is shared on these boards, as well as apparently backing up exactly what was experienced by Car & Driver: a host of annoying technical issues experienced by thousands of new RL owners with the newly designed RL.

Compare that to Consumer Reports' reliability rating for the Infiniti M35/45: "First-year reliability has been outstanding. [New Car Reliability: Much better than average (5/5)]"

The RL and the M35 are both clearly excellent vehicles, but the data now conclusively shows that the new RL has some serious reliability issues, especially when compared to both Acura's own very highly rated TL, as well as their main competition, the Infiniti M35.

However, it now seems quite clear that the M35 is the superior vehicle, especially when reliability data is factored in.

"Maybe CD got a rare problem car for this automaker"? Yeah, obviously Car & Driver clearly DID get a problem RL...as did several thousand other folks who participate in the Consumer Reports surveys, apparently (such as myself).

- Racer X
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    just bought a 2004 with navi..does this car have bluetooth? Is it part of the navi system?

I'm pretty sure the 2004 RL did not have Bluetooth and if it did, it's not part of the navi system. There's no connection between the two.
    The main point of my message was to let the poster know that he completely misquoted the article, which he did!. It was not in anyway to compare the M and RL in terms of reliability.

My statements reflect a belief, not necessarily a fact. Let's see what happens with the 06 RLs. My money is on the RL becoming as reliable as it has always been with consumer reports. Acura may have rushed the 2005 model into production, but their history of reliability suggests that they will correct the problems and return the RL to an excellent reliability rating. No way Acura lets their reliability perceptions decline over the long run.

FWIW, I like the M also. Both the M and RL are fine cars. I chose the 06 RL over the m35x. At 4500 miles, I have zero regrets and would do it all over again if I needed to.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    may be interested in the Acura RL vs. Infiniti M35 discussion - have a look!
  • drgkjedrgkje Member Posts: 21
    i am reaching the same conclusion..any 04 RL out there?

RE: connection, in my RX, the bluetooth option was available only as a part of the NAVI system. All settings, are in the navi menu, all instructions are in the navi manual.
  • pappy164pappy164 Member Posts: 15
    I also have an 06 RL with 6000+ miles on it, which are mainly stop and go city miles. The only issues I have had were because of user error that I thought were electronic. No problems with the car, it runs great!

I have heard of some electrical errors with the 05, but that was its baby blues year. Most should have been corrected for the 06 model. In every new car that I have bought, I always wait till the first year goes by so the manufacturer has time to clean out the glitches.
    I'm the owner of a 06 RL, and I've subscribed to Car and Driver for over 25 years (anyone want to buy some back issues?). C&D has historically had tremendous respect for Honda/Acura products (and BMWs), and I think the tone of the article showed their surprise in having the long term RL making many trips to the dealer. The article did point out that the long term RL was one of the staff's most popular cars. While I agree with some of the commentary (why not have a start button in lieu of the ignition "key"?), some of the issues were driver error, frankly (e.g., not returning the ignition "key" to original position when leaving the car and having the battery run down----didn't they notice the car gonging them like crazy when they did that?).

I drove both the m35x and the RL and picked the RL. Each car has its advantages, but I have had extraordinarily good experience with Honda products, there was more competition in my area among Honda dealers than Infiniti dealers. For me, it was a real close choice.
    Finally, got a "hit" from a CD showing album title text on the audio screen---a Modest Mouse CD (Epic, which is owned by Sony). :P
  • llwysellwyse Member Posts: 56
    I purchased my 2005 RL new in January, 2005. Lakeshore Silver. Now have 13,500 miles. (Relatively low because I alternate between the RL and a MINI Cooper S.) My car has been trouble free. Power windows "acted up" once and the dealer told me how to correct it. TSBs have been performed as needed. Just installed the 18" wheels with summer performance tires. Awesome look.....and handling. I am pleased with the car and the dealer (Mathews Acura in Marion, OH). This car's a keeper!

I saw some headlight comments. The lighting pattern is apparently typical of xenon lights. Same on my MINI, Pacifica and a past Audi.
  • jtsjts Member Posts: 15
    I too am very pleased with my '05 RL. Picked it up at a great price in November '05 and already have 12,000kms. on it. A couple of minor glitches not worth mentioning were taken care of by the dealer. One was the level of the Xenons. I had them raised a bit (probably above spec.) but low eneough so as not to cause a problem for other traffic. I am now very pleased with the illumination on low beam, although Xenons do have a sharper cutoff than other headlights which I'm sure is normal. I just drove the car 900 kms. through the rockies from Vancouver, BC to Calgary, Alberta on extremely poor snowing conditions and the car was extremely stable and reassuring to drive even on the MXM4 all seasons which we all know are not great in snow/ice. This is my 3rd AWD sedan (I've had SUV's as well) and it was equal or better than my E320 4matic. Before buying I looked at new 4matics but was tired of spending my life in the shop, Lexus G300 AWD, but it was too small and soft riding, and the M35X which I liked but not the dash etc. I am very happy with the choice and probably would make the same choice again. So far I agree, this car is a keeper and fun to drive.
  • carcrazy13carcrazy13 Member Posts: 2
    I've been going back and forth with my Acura dealership regarding the "noise". At this point they have replaced the drive shaft assembly (took care of the problem at 30mph but now its at 40+). They appear baffled and keep talking to the "tech line". Needless to say I'm frustrated. Did you finally get your issue resolved? If so how?
  • carcrazy13carcrazy13 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 05 RL. The noise kicked in at 30mph and the dealer also replace the propeller shaft but the problem still continues at higher speeds. Its in the shop as I speak and they are trying to figure it out. They are being helpful but it would appear that they have never encountered the problem before...guess they are not paying attention. Did you ever get your issue resolved with the new transmission?
    A check of the National Highway Traffic Safety Website

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm

proved to be "illuminating".

The RL has 4 NHTSA complaints for the headlights. Seems to be a problem on unlit roads and poor headlight visibility.

Do other owners experience this on unlit roadways? My headlights are terrible! I can't see over 50 feet and the dealer says they are properly adjusted.
  • tomg225tomg225 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone please tell me how to turn off the voice inside the car. When I go from my radio to my fan speed and back again the voice always tells me what channel or fan speed I've selected. My dealer told me there is no way to deactivate it. Is this true? It is very annoying.

Tom
  • steveinindysteveinindy Member Posts: 48
    You can turn of the voice feedback feature in the set up screen. Just push the setup button. Turn voice feedback to off and you're done. This is not the same as the voice that talks to you during navigation. That will still come on to give you directions when you program a specific destination. Hope this helps! Steve C.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    Do you really feel the RL is bigger than the GS?

I test drove the RL and only sat in the GS, the GS felt much more spacious to me.

In any event, I am going to test drive the GS in the coming weeks and get a through sense of its interior volume.
  • jtsjts Member Posts: 15
    It felt narrower to me and slightly enclosed in the back, perhaps as a result of the roofline in the rear. At the end of the day it's personal taste but I prefer what feels to me as a sportier feel in the Acura. I have all the respect in the world for the quality of Lexus but after driving the GS twice I personally continue to find the drive too insulated for want of a better description. The Acura feels more like your are driving the car. Again, it's personal taste. I also prefer the looks of the RL by a slight margin. Both of my kids are in their mid twenties and love driving the RL but did not care for the GS.
  • kssod1kssod1 Member Posts: 50
    Considering the RL, but concerned about accidental dead battery from not turning the ignition off all the way, (either self or others who may need to drive the car from time to time). Does anyone know if Acura has some sort of battery saver feature similar to if interior lights were left on? It would make sense thtat if the faux ignition key was left in accessory power position after 20 minutes the car would automatically turn everything off to conserve battery. The Lexus, Infiniti, BMW comfort Access, and other push button systems seem so much better.
    Does anybody have any other concerns with new 06 prior to delivery/
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    Pat:

I posted a message about ten minutes ago and it never appeared. It concerned the RL's headlights. What happened?

George
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    cavtec...just a quick question...this web site looks like you have to put in some info to check out those complaints...do you have ODI numbers or any other info that would help me read more...thanks
    web site:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I don't know. Didn't this happen once before? I'm really not sure what happens that makes you think a message is posted but then it isn't there.

Why don't you just repost your thoughts?
    The web page is a little confusing....

To the right of the ODI text box is the vehicle search option. Leave the "vehicle" choice selected,

then...

Click on the "Search Selected Type" button and you can conduct a rearch of any vehicle, including the RL, by make, model, year, and component complaint.

A very informative web site. When you choose the component eg "Exterior Lighting: Headlights" be sure to check the check box for a full summary to read the actual complaint.
  • satiresatire Member Posts: 71
    Not to mention a pretty stupid design. As noted here (and elsewhere) the headlights (low & high beam) are pretty useless if you plan to go faster than 30 MPH. My high beams were focused together at a point about 50-60 feet in the front of the car. Also useless and dangerous.

Based on prior posts here, I adjusted them myself (don't let the dealer BS you) and have substantially improved the situation but they are far, far from perfect or confidence inspiring. However, and this is a big however, these headlights are without question the worse ever put to a Honda vehicle. I'm convinced the designers were ten year olds who had nothing but flashlights to work with.

Bottom line, if you do a lot of night driving particularly on dark, narrow, winding roads, DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!! The headlights are the weakest link in an otherwise outstanding automobile. And it is this link that will cause Honda/Acura a lot of problems. Accidents will happen, people will be injured (or worse). Shame on you Honda/Acura. You damn near built a perfect car. What the hell were you thinking when you came up with those useless headlights?

Seriously, what were you thinking??????
  • atd1atd1 Member Posts: 3
    My ignition switch in my 2005 RL refuses to turn on intermittently. The dashboard lights comes on but the switch refuses to move further. After multiple attempts, it finally turns over.

I have had it in to Acura service but since it is intermittent, they have not been able to find anything.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • klisterklister Member Posts: 8
    This happens my RL when the steering column gets bound against the lock mechanism. If I move the steering wheel a little back and forth, then the car will start. Several RL owners have noted this issue.
  • klisterklister Member Posts: 8
    At least for me, this has not proved to be a real world issue despite the Consumer Reports problem with it. Once you see how to turn it on and off properly you never, at least I never, left in the wrong position accidentally. I've owned the RL for for 15 months without a dead battery .
    I live in a mountainous area with very winding and narrow roads, and I have never had a problem with my headlights at night. In fact, the swiveling headlights make driving on these roads quite easy. My high beams could land an airplane, and they light up the road almost as far as I need to see. I wonder if you can have your dealer adjust the headlight directions?

I am not doubting you and the other posters, but I have just not noticed any problem with the lights. I will say that the demarcation line with these types of lights is very sharp, so maybe that creates an illusion of not being able to see; in contrast, my MDX has a fuzzy demarcation line out ahead of the car. I remember that Consumer Reports also trashed the M low intensity headlights for not having enough power.
  • gwestboundgwestbound Member Posts: 22
    I have a 2004 RL. There’s not much difference between the 1996-2004 model years. Taching 2,500 rpm at 70 mph is about right. They're known to be fairly thirsty beasts. I get 24 mpg (U.S. gallon) on the highway. At 3,900 lbs. it's a surprisingly heavy car.
  • satiresatire Member Posts: 71
    I suspect that there are those who drive differently, sit in a different position, etc that will find no problem with these headlights. Frankly, I don't know the reason why some find no problem and others (like me) fear for our lives with these headlights.

But you do bring up something else that is most annoying. That demarcation line. Riding over a road that is less than perfectly smooth, the low beams are constantly bouncing up and down. Any little body movement is greatly exagerated at 30 to 50 feet in front. Sort of the effect one would expect in a car built 80 years ago.

I do love most other aspects of this car. But since I'm finding myself doing a lot of night driving, I'd love for Acura/Honda to take this car back right now and we just call it even. I do experience some stress and a certain amount of fear each time I'm out on a dark, deserted road. I just know that I'm not going to see Bambi in time and there goes my windshield.