Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• wt4000wt4000 Member Posts: 37
    The 2nd row seats come with a 60/40 split or two 40s and a center console like you mention. You can not get 3 separate seats in the second row like the 05. The 60/40 seats have a "Cargo Mode" that lowers the 2nd row down closer to the floor. Its sort of like the extra cost option on the Land Rover LR3, and a lot easier to operate than the LR3. If the 2nd row had three separate seats, I think it would be very difficult to operate the Cargo Mode on the center seat, because you would have to climb into the vehicle to reach the handle.

The 3rd row does finally split 50/50 and works very cleverly. Even with the manual fold its extremely easy to use, both to lower and to raise up. They came up with a very clever design that automatically slides the lower cushion out of the way when the seat back is lowered. Hard to describe, but if you are familiar with the Volvo XC90 third row, you will wonder why Volvo doesn't immediately start copying this design.

What is so smart about the 3rd row design is that it is so light and easy to operate. You don't have to walk around to the side door to push the 3rd row seats up, you can do it all from the rear hatch with hardly any effort at all. The 3rd row is a huge improvement over the 05 design.
  • fordexp2fordexp2 Member Posts: 8
    Does the 06 Mountaineer Premier come with 4x4 or is it AWD. Also, if anyone can explain the difference, that would be helpful. I know there are AWD models, but I did see a picture that had "4x4 high, auto and low" buttons on it.
    Also, does anyone have the "ordering guide" or some sort of stadard and optional equipment list for the Mountaineer?
    Thats a good question regarding the Mountaineer. It looks like the 06 will also be offered as AWD based on the price list I saw, it list prices as 4x2 and AWD. It depends how you are going to use the vehicle on whether or not AWD is adequate.

The Explorer has both AWD and 4x4. The difference being AWD can be driven on dry pavement without binding up. 4x4 is for wet or loose surfaces. The 4x4 Explorer normally runs in AWD mode, shifting power to the front wheels if it detects any slipping. The driver can also select 4x4 High, which locks the center differential, or 4x4 Low which also locks the center differential but also provides lower gearing. This is intended for lower speed operations such as when rock crawling or pulling a boat up a boat ramp.

This is one of the major benefits of the Explorer over some crossover vehicles, they don't usually have anything but AWD, so pulling a boat out of the water may be more difficult without the lower gearing provided by the 2 speed transfer case. Also, in 4x4 mode, you don;t have to wait for the wheels to slip before power is routed to the front, power is already split 50/50 front and back. A lot of trucks only have 4x4, and no AWD, which means you don't get any traction benefit from the front wheels unless you select 4x4. With the Explorer you get the benefit of all, AWD and 4x4 High and 4x4 Low.

Here is how Ford explains it the systme on the Explorer-

Control Trac® delivers automatic torque split, low-range

Explorer continues to offer the advanced Control Trac® four-wheel-drive system. It includes electronic logic and a two-speed transfer case with a locking center differential.

Control Trac® is an advanced four-wheel-drive system that allows a driver to select between three driving modes:

The 4x4 AUTO (or A4WD) mode provides full power to the rear axle until the rear wheels begin to slip. Then power is automatically proportioned to the front axle as required for increased traction. This mode is appropriate for any driving condition.

The 4x4 HIGH (4H) mode effectively locks the center differential, providing a constant 50/50 torque split between the front and rear axles. It only is intended for severe winter or off-road conditions, such as deep snow and ice and shallow sand.

The 4x4 LOW (4L) mode locks the transfer case and engages a torque-multiplying gear set in the transfer case. It only is intended for off-road applications that require extra power including deep sand, steep grades and towing a boat trailer out of water.
    I could not find an ordering guide for the 2006 Mountaineer but I found the Owners Manual online, for the Explorer too.

2006 Mountaineer Owners Manual

2006 Explorer Owners Manual
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    The Mountaineer has an AWD lock setting that provides true 4WD. Only on those with Advance trak, etc.
    So, is AWD all time 4x4 or only when it slips?
    In the default mode, slippage causes torque to be directed to the wheel(s) that aren't slipping. 4WD requires the driver make a selection with the electronic setup buttons. The manual recommends NOT using this on normal roads.
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    The Explorer 4x4 can go places no Freestyle ever could or should. One is a truck, can come with a V8 that could TOW a Freestyle - the other is a car that sits up high and has a third row. I really don't know why people would cross-shop the two.

Remember - Ford has discontinued the Taurus Wagon now that the Freestyle is out - they said as much in a press release. The Five Hundred is the replacement for the Taurus and the Freestyle is the replacement for the Taurus Wagon - albeit much imrpoved and with a higher seating position. It even has the Taurus engine. (The Fusion is slotted below in size and will not have a third-seat model).

While Ford has made the Explorer more comfortable and car-like ( as they have with the F150 truck line), it is not a car. I think too many suburbanites forget that.

Bottom line - the Explorer is a truck platform, the Freestyle is a car platform. If you don't know the difference, play it safe go with the Freestyle.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I wish Ford would step up and put a Hyundai type warranty on their vehicles. I just sold a Sonata to a friend - when I really would have liked to sell her a Taurus. IMO, the Taurus is just as good, better in some ways. But she needs the most car she can get for the money, and the money is the same for a 2004 with equal mileage at the auction. With the Hyundai, she gets 30,000 more miles warranty, and 2 extra years. I suggested the Sonata would be the best buy.

Same with the Explorer/Montaineer. Ford would bury the competition, and eliminate a lot of reputation issues if they did. And IMO, the Explorer is the best designed SUV in the class, by a mile.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    in GA to $2.60/gal from $3.30 a week ago, the memory of the high gas price will linger for some time, now that we know how quickly the weather can change things, or some attack on a Saudi oil field...

any thoughts on how this will affect SUV sales this fall???...is this the beginning of the end of the SUV???...will they start installing diesels in them soon???
    Has anyone heard of an available heated windshield for the Mountaineer? I read a brief description of the vehicle that mentioned it.
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    maybe a hybrid?
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    06 explorer liftglass is smaller than 05 - we are all well aware of the design flaw there. but, it seems like the 01 and earlier has a much bigger glass back there - was this troublesome as well? is there some reason they couldn't put bigger glass on the 06 to make the opening larger, closer to that of 05?

despite the problems, i must say the large liftglass opening on the 02 we have is one of the cars best features - it is extremely handy.
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    i agree... my dog can't jump out with just the liftglass opened and it's much lighter than the entire rear door. :shades:
  • jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    The new liftgates (the whole door not just the glass) on the 06 models are lighter and easier to open and close that the previous ones. It is easy to close the door with one hand now whereas before if you used one hand to close the door it was a bit difficult. I guess the engineers figured that since the liftglass was smaller now, people would use the whole door more.
    I saw and sat in the '06 Explorer at a car show this weekend. I did notice the rear liftgate has been redesigned and felt like it took much less effort to both raise and lower vs my wife's '05.
    tonight at my dealer, buried in the back. This would be because he has about 15 05's left. I liked it! I thought the retractable running boards were very cute. Useless, but cute. Just like they were on my Navigator. The dash design was nice. The exterior design belies a lot of changes under the skin, but I hear they're there. Overall, it seems like a positive redesign.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I really don't know why people would cross-shop the two.

Because many people who buy truck based SUVs never use them offroad anyway, so they're looking at style, comfort, etc...
    cross-shop the two models...depending on value packages, colors, various options, sometimes the "higher status" model can be had for almost the same price as the "lower status" model...

This may be years ago, but back when the Grand Marquis was truly a higher class model than a simple Ford, with vaue packs and discounts, I could buy a loaded GM for the same price as a moderately loaded CV...the CV was $12K and it was not loaded, and the GM was $12,500 and it was loaded with every option they had, certainly MSRP almost $3K more, but value pack and discounts brought the GM down...yes, cross-shop, always...
    Which is why the GM outsells the CV significantly now in retail sales. Ford hardly sells any CVs retail anymore.
    Except for me, who did buy a CV in 2004...BUT, now that I see that I only get 20-22 mpg highway, with only 239 HP, it does make me wonder if I should have bought a used Deville DTS, 300HP Northstar, also a large car, floor shifter, and, a 4 way adjustable lumbar support for that aging low back of mine...maybe even get 27 mpg highway...if it does, the extra 5-7 mpg could pay for the depreciation of my CV... :D;) :shades:
    previous post...I responded to NV because of the CV/GM cross shop, forgetting it really was an Expy/Mtneer cross shop topic...got carried away with my thoughts for a second, and forgot where I was...just like a man not to ask for directions... ;) :shades:

Bob
    2 things - I'm surprised your CV doesn't get you 25 on the highway, but if it doesn't, slow down a little ;)

The DTS also depreciates like a rock with a lead center, so you would have just lost more cash, as you would have paid more for it to start with. You would still have got the same mileage, and you would have lost a head gasket in the Northstar.

You're getting more mileage than the Explorer would have gotten you, anyway.... so smile :P
  • abhishek1abhishek1 Member Posts: 6
    Did anyone actually get the new explorer?
    I'm getting an '06 XLT 4x4 as a company car in a few weeks. I'll post my comments on it when it comes in. I did look at one at the dealer so I could pick out my colors/options. Was much more impressed with the interior vs. the '05, and it supposedly will be quieter, more solid, what with the new frame/suspension/brakes/noise suppression materials. We'll see. Not positive the Explorer would be my first choice, but with the company paying for it and providing a gas card, I'm not complaining!
  • cwescapexlt4x4cwescapexlt4x4 Member Posts: 6
    So I will have one soon, I have yet to see one on the road thou.
    My Mountaineer, ordered in May, is due in this week ... maybe today.

FYI: It's my observation that staring at the telephone has no influence over its generating an incoming call.
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    Saw a White EB on a pedestal in front of the dealer yesterday. Didn't have time to stop, but it looked sweet fromthe road.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    I received my electronic edition of Car and Driver yesterday and noticed that they complained of narrow footwell space, a significant problem on the new Five Hundred / Montego. What is Ford thinking (or not thinking) with this footwell problem spreading like a fungus amongst their new models? I noticed the reports that they put a woman in charge of the new design. She should have asked guys to sit in it and tell her what was right or wrong. The silly new console shifter which eliminated the very useful storage console space of the 200 - 2005 models is probably a big culprit.
    Don't know about the narrow (women's size 7?) footwells - but I hear the console shifter is a move to the rest of the market, who pretty much all have console shifters. It does cost some serious room on the console. But some people I'm sure, in the focus group, said the column shifter is old fashioned and out of date.
    i concur. before we purchased, we thought the floor shifter was seriously outdated as well. was definitely a strike against the vehicle. those with floor shifters seemed more classy. but now having had the column shifter i love it. not as nice looking, but definitely more functional.
    as far as the foot wells go... i dont have as much as problem with the size as ... why cant ford spend $10 and put in a dead pedal for your foot to rest like everybody else?
    I wear a size 11 mens shoe, and have no issues with the pedals. I agree about the dead pedal - would be nice......
    Everything I've read about the '06 says it's quieter, more structurally sound, handles better, has better brakes, a significantly improved interior, and in general the best Explorer ever. So, if the most siginficant thing someone can find to criticize is the footwells, then I'd say it must be a pretty good vehicle!
  • williams21williams21 Member Posts: 2
    I have owned a 1992, 1996 and 2002 Explorer EB and decided to step up to the 2006 Limited. Ford has made many improvements over the years and this year's edition is the best ever. However, there are two safety related problems that bother me. Hopefully they will be corrected but I wonder. First there is an occasional hesitation when pulling away from a complete stop. I wonder what would happen if a stall happened just as I was pulling into traffic. Second, There is an " image" of the dash top which reflects across the entire front window during day driving. Sometimes I find myself focusing on the reflection rather than the road. Not good! Has anyone with a 2006 model experienced the same problems? Thanks. Bob
    agreed. with every generation, any model vehicle gets better. and so does the price go up. reality is, SUV's were hot and everyone was making plenty of cash on each one. now with gas $3 a gallon and SUV sales slowing, they need to improve the vehicle and keep the price reasonable. seems like detroit has finally followed the lead of the japanese and started making vehicles people want, not ones that pad their bottom line.
    I bet your hesitation is the throttle-by-wire unit. All cars that are moving to that, vs. a mechanical cable to a throttle body experience a slight, nominal hesitation to response. The Lexus owners have complained about this for a couple of years since they started using it.

Polarized glasses take that glare away.
    None of that with my '03 Lincoln LS.

Polarized glasses also make a navigation unit almost unreadable.
    Has anyone seen an '06 with the chrome running board option on it?
    I sat in a loaded 2006 Explorer today and the footwell space is no different in any way I could detect from that in the 2002 Mountaineer I recently sold after driving it 98,000 miles. The floor shifter raises the center console some, but not enough to matter. Therefore, I think that Car & Driver just wanted to find something to complain about, since I see no basis for their complaint.

The floor shifter does steal storage space which was very useful in the 2002 - 2005 Explorer / Mountaineer. Ford did put a shallow tray on top of the dashboard of the 2006 models, but that is much less useful that the previous tray in the console. For example, we stored ink pens, sunglasses, and various other small objects in the tray in our Mountaineer, but would not in the dash-top tray, as they could, and probably would, fly out and be scattered or even hit us in the face. A dash-top bin with a lid, as on the Fusion and Five Hundred, would be far more useful.
    I agree with the footwell comparison, the 06 space is the same as the 05s, I compared space on a dealers lot side by side.

I did notice the seat in the 06 seems to go slightly lower to the floor than the 05 which for me makes the driving position more comfortable. The power recline is certainly a welcomed addition.
  • williams21williams21 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks nv. You have given a very good description of my hesitation problem and an explanation I can discuss with service personnel. My wife said she never noticed the glare problem until I mentioned it. Sorry Mom! Thanks again for the response. Bob
    According to the Ford web site, the $2,000 cash back for 2006 Explorer and Mountaineer expires today (October 3, 2005).

Today's expiration also seems to be true for all Ford vehicles. Any guesses on what will be in effect tomorrow?
  • cwescapexlt4x4cwescapexlt4x4 Member Posts: 6
    Appears to have stayed at $2000 and added $500 ford financing cash thru Jan 6, 2006
    Yep.
    It is so nice to see cars without salesmen hovering about. I had ordered a new Explorer to replace my 2002 Mountaineer, then cancelled it when I saw gas prices rising rapidly and SUV values plummeting. The new instrument panel is flat on the top and front, with a big bulging center area, and the interior plastics have a courser grain pattern and look and feel cheaper. My wife commented that it seems like they copied from the Magnum, and I agree. The gauges are far away and difficult to read. The F-150 is nicer. Even the grab handle on the passenger side A-pillar is thinner and cheaper. The door is awkward to open and close with the handle in a wierd position below the latch release. We found ourselves trying to grab the armrest, which has no handle slot. The interior is a real step backwards from the 2002 - 2005 design. In this case, it looked better in photos than in reality. Also, the fuel mileage is still terrible, despite the six speed and revised engines. Only a few people at the show were looking at the Explorer, and none at the Mountaineer.
    I was wary of the Explorer being improved, but I got a chance to drive the '06 today -an XLT with the V8 with an additional 50+ HP. Compared to my current '03, the ride, handling (steering/braking) and safety features seem dramatically refined and improved. The steering system has been redesigned, too, and the "feel" is much better, less "truck-like" and lighter compared to the '03. The ride is as quiet as any car I have been in. The redesigned driveshaft, frame and body mounts really pay off on the road. Hip and shoulder room is up from the previous generation as well. The brakes are bigger this year, too, and that should mean more towing capability and more secure stops, although I didn't notice much difference .

Gas mileage on the sticker says it's up 2 MPG, even with 53 more horses, due to the new 6 speed AT, but that remains to be seen. As someone who likes to tow a big boat and realted recreational gear several times a year, the power will be great, even if the MPG isn't much better.

I wouldn't recommend the Explorer (or any below 20 mpg SUV) for someone who just wants an SUV because everyone else has one, and doesn't "need " an SUV. I get a laugh at the fact that SUV sales have fallen off a cliff lately - it shows just how many people really didn't need one in the first place - just a "keeping up with the Jonses thing" or some false sense of safety - now proven not to be the case. About 80% of SUV buyers who say they need them for the "room" would do just as well in any minivan - which are cheaper and get better MPG. But they're not "cool". Sheesh!

But I'm one of those who has a need to tow and have 4x4 capability (lots of snow/ice and camping in the mountains ), and if you need to tow and take the family gear, too, the '06 seems to be a major improvement in ride, handling, power and quiteness over the last generation. I was skeptical, but the test drive made the difference. At least it's on my list.
    gearjammer62: Good post! In my case, I had an SUV because I need to carry things which do not fit in the trunk of any cars except the Ford Five Hundred / Mercury Mongeo (not enough leg & foot space, small engine struggles and makes too much noise doing so) and Lexus LS430 (way too expensive). I have a hatchback car now, but it is barely big enough and is a model which will be discontinued. When I replace it, the new Lincoln version of the Five Hundred, the Explorer wagon and Sport Trac pickup, and other pickups will be on my list.

Besides the poor fuel mileage, SUVs tend to cost $10,000 more than a car. The high purchase cost was apparently not enough to deter buyers, but the fuel cost increases are apparently the straw which broke the camel's back.
  • frieberg44frieberg44 Member Posts: 33
    I've looked at several. My thoughts: 1) Obviously designed to attract female buyers; 2) I do not like the "ghetto, hip-hop" infused styling (attracting younger buyers ?? ). Too much cheap looking chrome trim; 3) I like others do NOT like the narrow foot wells (compare to a Honda Pilot, for example, which is much more comfortable in that regard); 4) the 6 speed tranny seems like a GREAT idea, but you KNOW that the V8 is gonna be a gas hog, especially during in town driving (13 MPG ?); 5) The door pull handle, BELOW the main window switch panel, is an amazingly STUPID idea on Ford's part (did a junior high kid design that feature ??); 6) Ford will have a veery tough time selling these SUV's like they used too; very expensive when considering the excellent quality competition (especially the likes of a 4Runner or Pilot.) My conclusion: I'll buy either a Honda or Toyota.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    "Obviously designed to attract female buyers"

Why, if I may ask is the new Explorer designed to attract female buyers? What is so feminine about it?

I doubt Ford will have trouble selling these. The Explorer has a very loyal owner base. Changes here and there aren't going to give Ford a tough time, it will give the competition (Honda & Toyota) a tough time.
    I don't think the 7300 pound towing rating of the Explorer had females in mind.
    Or the almost 300HP variable valve overhead cam V-8 with exclusive 6 speed auto.
    Or the real dual spped 4x4 transfer case with a real life 4x4 Low.

Now if you were talking about a little V-6 grocery-get-er like a Honda Pilot, then yea, obviously that model is designed more for females who don't tow boats, or who never go off road and would not know the benefits of a real transfer case.

The fact that the Explorer is cleaner buring than a Hybrid Honda Accord might appeal to women, or maybe the safety features that aren't available on the Honda Pilot. And yea, the split power fold 3rd row seat on the Explorer probably appeals to women more than men.

Now that you mention it, the 06 Explorer seems to be unique in that it appeals to men who need the massive towing capacity and who undertsand the essential nature of a true two-speed transfer case that you just can't get with a Honda grocery-get-er.

The Explorer also would probably appeal to women who like the superior safety features of the Explorer and would certainly like the fact that it emits fewer polluting fumes into the environent. Women will also like the AWD capability that comes with the real 4x4 2-speed transfer case.