Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2K Ford Explorer Sport Trac's - III

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
edited March 2014 in Ford
This topic is a continuation of Topic 2031....

2K Ford Explorer Sprt Trac's - II. While I am
having some reservations about "Explorer" topics in
the Pickups forum, for the moment please continue
these discussions here.

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• Options
    dberndtdberndt Member Posts: 45
    "Bigtoe52 writes:
    How can anyone tell if a tire is overinflated or
    underinflated if it is blown out!"

Bigtoe52, I wonder the same thing. But I can better understand how they find the problem in tire tread and such. It's the cause of the wildfires out west that has me baffled. I heard on the news it was started by a grasshopper. How the F(*&? is that even possible to determine? Very strange.

Tc rider - are you in Atlanta, GA? What color combo did you order? The sales managers couldn't believe that it said $75,000 as a base price.
    I guess this is gonna be interesting when I go fight for my price.

And, wow, I am the first one to post in the 4th (i think its the 4th) topic on ST!
    This has been a good place for info everyone. Keep up the communications.
  • Options
    fmurrayfmurray Member Posts: 7
    I'm close to putting down a deposit on a ST that's currently inbound and due in about 4 weeks. I initially requested one with the limited slip 4.10 differential and the single cd player.

This one has the regular 4.10 axle but has the 6 cd changer. After reading a bit here I think I'd like to have the 6 cd Pioneer 290 watt system and subwoofer. So my questions are:

I don't plan any off road excursions but should I hold out for the LS axle for wet roads and/or future resale value?

And, In case it turns out to be the old system... How does the non Pioneer 6 cd system sound compare to the regular single cd system? (ie: same speakers and power but just adds the changer?)

Someone mentioned that some 16 inch Firestones have seperated. Does anyone have a link to more info about these tires?

thanks! Fred
  • Options
    tc_ridertc_rider Member Posts: 7
    Tc rider - are you in Atlanta, GA? What color
    combo did you order? The sales managers couldn't
    believe that it said $75,000 as a base price.
    I guess this is gonna be interesting when I go
    fight for my price.

Reply: I'm in Raleigh, NC and I'm dealing with Crossroads Ford. It's a huge place but I think my audiophile system slipped through the cracks. I may refuse delivery if it comes without the audio system (6pack w/subwoofer).

I ordered a Red with Grey leather, 2WD, all the bells and whistles except the moonroof.

The DORA is supposed to be the official doc between Dealer and Ford, yet it appears that foulups are not unusual, ie: $75,000 base price.
  • Options
    bart11bart11 Member Posts: 3
    I didn't feel good about the Firestone tires either and Ford wouldn't do anything about replaceing them. So I went to my local tire dealer Les Schwab ( a chain in the Northwest) and they said that Firestone authorized them to prorate any size Firestone tire if the customer was not happy. So they gave me a trade in of $88.00 per tire when I purchased new ones. If one company can do this, why can't Ford? Anyway, Les Schwab's will replace any size Firestone tire.
  • Options
    stinhoutxstinhoutx Member Posts: 47
    I understand the importance to share information, especially where the STs would be affected. But, please consider taking the detailed dramatics to a new topic. It makes it easier on the folks reading all 600+ posts all night long. ;) Thanks.

Switching the subject:
    When I ordered the ST on 6/27 it already reflected the updated pricing for the *upgraded* stereo and the transmission. If you were quoted the lower price before the change, it is doubtful you were getting the upgraded stereo with the amp and extra speakers/subwoofer, just the 6 CD changer with the 4 speakers. Remember, as some others actually recommend, you always have the option to go with the base model and spend the money you save on an aftermarket system with exactly what you want. I think you'll have better luck on negotiating the price of the transmission since the configuration really didn't change than with the stereo where they've added to the option.

I am pretty sure whatever wording is included in the contract you signed has a clause about changes by the *manufacturer* which fall outside the control of the dealer. It stinks to feel stuck with the short end of the deal. But if you can establish a rapport with the folks you're dealing with as a genuine and fair kind of person rather than trying to stick it to 'em just to walk out $xxx dollars down then you'll have a better chance of working out a *fair* arrangement.

You know, one could say that if we all weren't so keen to squeeze the profits down on our vehicles they could afford to put better tire on 'em. :)(Oops, is it gonna start gettin' kinda hot in here?) Please note the smilies!
  • Options
    nuthnfreenuthnfree Member Posts: 3
    When you open the driver's door on my Sport Trac, and look down on the door sill, you see a black plastic nameplate that says "Mercury."

I would guess it's supposed to say "Ford."

Guess it must be the same assembly line as Mercury Mountaineers, and somebody on the assembly line pulled a part out of the wrong box.

The corresponding part on the passenger door is okay. Just the driver's door got the wrong one.

If trucks were like postage stamps, I'd have a great collector's item. But they aren't, so I think I'll make them replace it.

I'll do it along with the gas door. But I think I'll wait till somebody says they've figured out how to fix the gas door. Mine is rubbing the paint off.

BTW, would somebody please repost the toll-free number to call to ask for a tonneau cover at the less-expensive original-equipment price rather than ordering from the dealer's parts dept?
  • Options
    dolphins66dolphins66 Member Posts: 78
    nuthnfree: Unless you receive the letter for the tonneau cover offer, you cannot order it. It all depends on when you ordered your vehicle as to whether or not you will get the letter.
  • Options
    I thought I read somewhere that the Sport Tracs were not being registered correctly?

Is it a Truck or a SUV?

thanks!
  • Options
    mikeysmommikeysmom Member Posts: 18
    We live in NY and ours was registered as a truck and we received commercial plates, but over the weekend I seen a ST with non commercial plates. The dealer told us that because the ST has bed in the back it is classified as a pick-up truck. I'm now confused after seeing the ST with non commercial plates because we could have saved ALOT of money registering the ST with regular plates.
  • Options
    rb125rb125 Member Posts: 28
    It's small pickup truck with a passenger cab and an open cargo box on a frame. The 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac is based on a stretched Explorer SUV chassis and share about 80% of the same parts with the Explorer.
  • Options
    blanche0blanche0 Member Posts: 6
    Hi to all,
    My st was registered as an "explorer wagon"
    I do not know how the st is classified as a wagon, but the dealer was the one who transfered the registration. Also, does anyone know about the "HT" tires?? I would like to trade the HT's in for a better tire even though they are not part of the recall.
    I am sending the truck in to have a rattle in the front wheel well looked at. Truck is to new to have a rattling noise already.
    Still love the st.
    Thanks to all of you for your post's.
    Bob
  • Options
    They just informed me that yes, they are installing the wrong radio. Today's is the first day of my build week.

The dealer just admitted they ordered the standard radio instead of the audiophile system. And they said they can't get it corrected now.

This really torgues my [non-permissible content removed], cause I started calling a few weeks ago with my concerns and they blew me off.

They offered to "try" to get one and install it at the dealership. I told them no thanks.

I've got a truck that runs now with no car payment.

If I wanted to compromise I would have bought off the lot.

I've cancelled my order and asked for my deposit back.

Are all Ford Dealers idiots??
  • Options
    sporteesportee Member Posts: 5
    Here in Washington, I just received a pair of new plates in the mail and a letter stating that my Sport Trac was registered incorrectly when purchased, that from now on it will be registered as a truck. I was not sent a bill, just told that next year I'll have to pay more. I also just got my ST back from the Service Dept. I was told the gas door rub was fixed, to come on down and pick it up. When I got there, the gas cap was in the bed of the truck, and the door still rubbed! All they did was loosen up the door and in the process, lost one of the rubber door stoppers. Now I have a wobbly gas door that rubs and clangs when you shut it. The guy at the desk attached the plastic gas cap "leash" (don't know what it's really called) and agreed that the door still rubbed. We picked our ST up on Saturday, and were told they would check into our problem today. No one will take or return our calls in the Service Dept, so I guess we'll have to go down in person, again.
  • Options
    Does anyone have the Ford ST Tonneau cover?

Did it come from the factory or did the dealer installed it from their Parts Dept? If so, what did you pay?

I'm still waiting for my dealer to inform me of the price to add one after it arrives. (He's been trying to push some other 3rd party cover, one piece and painted to match) I'd rather have the Ford advertised Tonneau cover.
  • Options
    If you order and took delivery before the tonneau cover was available, you should receive a letter from Ford to order one for $590.00 (MSRP). If you order your ST now without one ($502.00 list), your parts dept. will be glad to sell you one for $1186.00...right! It's the same with the cargo cage, if order it with your ST, it list for $166.00...the parts dept. gets $351.00. The cargo cage is the same part number for the F-150 & ST.
  • Options
    robertc5robertc5 Member Posts: 18
    I, too, have a ST with the added "features" of a rubbing gas door and no paint on the bottom of the front set of doors. I have an appointment next week at the Ford dealer body shop to fix them both. When I showed him the doors, he just smiled and said, "Yeah, I've see that before on a number of different Ford products." He said it still had adequate paint to prevent rusting, but if it would make me feel more comfortable, he would be happy to "add a little paint." I said I would like him to do that. Regarding the gas door rub, he said that it indeed did look like a potential problem, and one not easy to fix. He could "shave off" a little of the plastic at the edge, but the paint would not be an exact match. And the door has no real adjustment capabilities. His suggested fix is to "heat it up" and then bend the hinge part to prevent any rubbing. What do you think? I don't have any reason to doubt his word, but have never heard of that type of "repair". I'll let you know if it works. Also, I have given up waiting for the hard tonneau cover. I ordered a soft one from Ford and will have it installed next week. Hope I like it.
  • Options
    If you check back in the previous posts, one forum member describes where the body shop adjusted the gas door by heating it up and reshaping it.

Re: I give up
    You mean everything else on the vehicle was fine except for the radio, and you cancelled it? I would have taken the truck with the condition that I not pay anything for the stock system (take it off base price) and take the vehicle to a car audio shop to replace the whole thing. But, then again, I am still carpooling until mine arrives. :)
  • Options
    stnewbiestnewbie Member Posts: 11
    I ordered my silver frost Sport Track on July 28.
    Since it was ordered after the plant reopened will it for sure come with the hard center console instead of the removeable pouch? I definitely want the new type so wondered if I need to call my salesperson and specify that I want the new one or is that just standard now? Also do you think there will be an additional charge? I havent seen any new price quotes concerning this item. I did make a deal with the salesperson as to price of the total package but no contract.
  • Options
    On my way to pick up my ST!!!!!! It got here a week earlier than expected! YAHOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    hilogirl1hilogirl1 Member Posts: 2
    We have been waiting since April 29 for our ST. I just called our dealer today and the inventory manager said that he spoke with the Ford regional representative today. He told her that it was embarassing to have customers wait this long for their orders. He gave her our order number and told her to step things up. I sure hope we hear something in the next couple of weeks. Ford really needs to "tighten up" and get these orders out.
    Others out there, keep in touch with your inventory managers. Make sure you keep in touch so they won't forget you. One more thing, don't change your orders once you've placed them. Our guy told us that if you do, you will start over at square one...
  • Options
    melvin7melvin7 Member Posts: 32
    I ordered mine 5 June, got a vin no. 8 Aug and a build date of the week of August 28. I have not got a delivery date as of yet,maybe it will happen in my lifetime. Good luck to you and thanks everybody for the good info.
  • Options
    obr123obr123 Member Posts: 18
    Took mine into the service dept Friday and had them examine the door. The service manager said they were ordering a new door/hinge setup. The one I had as faulty (which I already knew from reading the posts here). Evidentally they get these from a vendor. Ford (to my surprise) does not make them so it will take a little longer to get in. And he has made me an appoint with the bodyshop on the 21st to have all the door bottoms painted and the whole truck buffed out. I told him that I had found a few over spray spots on the truck since I have had it. He told me to look some more to see if I could find anything else I wanted done while they had it. So far the service dept has been really good to me. And the parts dept has been just as nice. Maybe because I've been droppin' so much $$ on the counter for mud flaps, rear window vent deflector, hidden hitch.... etc... naw....:-)
  • Options
    zack1000zack1000 Member Posts: 84
    stnewbie---If your Sport Trac is built in Run 2 which began in July you should get the high series console providing you ordered the Cloth or Leather Comfort Package. If you did not, you will get the pouch bag.
  • Options
    You are in a tough spot. If you took them to court you could probably hold them to your signed contract. However, you'd have to pay attorney fees. They're probably thinking that you won't do that.

And they're probably within their rights to sell your new Sport Trac tomorrow. The contract I'm sure doesn't list that vehicle as "yours".

Perhaps you have an attorney friend that can write a good threatening letter or make a phone call threatening to sue. If you can bluff them to believe that you'll take legal action, they might think it's not worth it. But move quickly, because your ST might be in somebody else's garage very soon.
  • Options
    sooch40sooch40 Member Posts: 1
    has any one heard when the repair part for the power steering is going to be produced and ready?. ford has a bullitin out on the problem but no repair for it.
  • Options
    robertc5robertc5 Member Posts: 18
    I,too, think you are being taken advantage of. You have a contact and they should honor it. Between the time I ordered my St and received it, there was a price increase. The dealer did not pass it on to me. I paid just what he contract said. I know this is obvious, but you have only a few real choices. (1)Stick to your guns, but you will probably not get your ST for a while - maybe never (at least from them). (2)Ask for your deposit back and go elsewhere. Or (3) find a middle ground. Yes, you have been reasonable to agree to pay for the difference in the stereo price. But we are talking a couple hundred dollars on a $28,000+ vehicle. I would offer to split the difference and then try to get some free services - free oil changes, mud flaps, etc. But that's me, and just an opinion. Good luck!
  • Options
    It's not just the dealers, it's also Ford Company (they all come from the same mold)...no customer focused service, staff is not courteous, (the customer is always wrong), lack prompt service, and no corporation at all. Word of mouth is the best advertisement...so, pass the word. I will never again spend a dime at my dealer (University Ford, Athens, GA) nor give a favorable referral. It's back to GM for me, on my next new one.
  • Options
    wpoewpoe Member Posts: 41
    What dealer are you dealing with? I purchased my ST at Perimeter Ford. They had to order my ST a second time because the first one was missing some of the options I requested. There was a price increase between the first and the second ST, but they stayed with the original price. Let us know

wap
  • Options
    I tried to figure out your numbers...
    From your description it looks like the dealer is trying to charge you $229 plus the $433. If the premium system is in the truck then the $433 should replace the $229. On my DORA there is no price next to the 6CD because it is part of the upgraded "package", and therefore included. For example, if you agreed to order 16 wheels separately and then later find out that they are only available as part of an upgrade package, then your total cost should you still choose to get them would be that of the package, not the package plus the original cost of the wheels ordered separately.

As far as the difference in price due to the new pricing on the tranmission, that just makes my head hurt...
  • Options
    coachvcc1coachvcc1 Member Posts: 4
    bart11- which Les Schwab did you take you tires to? The one in Centralia is only offering me $60 for my non-recalled Firestones.

I called the # left on here to request the tonneau cover and had no trouble getting the $590 price. They said they would send the appropriate info. The day before I called I went to my dealership to the parts dept. and checked on ordering a cargo cage and tonneau cover. They quoted me $354 for the cargo cage and $1,012 for the tonneau cover. Outragous!
  • Options
    stnewbiestnewbie Member Posts: 11
    I read in one of the previous responses about financing for the Sportrac being offered from Ford at 3.9 but when I checked on the link thru Edmunds it says 6.9 thru 10/02/00. Am I missing something somewhere?
  • Options
    struderstruder Member Posts: 6
    Hard Cover came to dealer as ordered, but was damaged in shipment, now waiting again on cover. I have soft tonneau that I bought from Ford, and will sell for $150.
  • Options
    coachvcc1coachvcc1 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone purchased the cargo cage after they ordered the truck for under the $354 price I am being quoted? If you have I would like to order one from there.
    Please let me know.
  • Options
    denrichdenrich Member Posts: 8
    Every piece of paper I got from the dealer when I ordered has my name on it. Even the window sticker has my name on it. So it looks like this vehicle was built for me, now I did get it under the A plan if that makes a difference.
  • Options
    KGDKGD Member Posts: 1
    All A-Plan orders have the buyers name on the window sticker. They call it a TAG.
  • Options
    jcaustinjcaustin Member Posts: 22
    ordered 5/20 dealer processed 5/27 built 7/14 delivered 8/16. The radio is the Pioneer (no extra charge)no additional charge for change in dealer invoice. only surprise was that the Ford credit rate was 8.9 not 7.9 like it was when we placed the order. Drove from Austin to Houston Today, 200 miles, everything seemed great, gas door rubs slightly, all doors painted, one air vent not working.
  • Options
    slurpee98slurpee98 Member Posts: 6
    I chatted with my salesman about a Taurus for my wife last weekend, and while I was there I pumped him for some answers to a couple of questions people have had. First of all, according to him, you can make changes to your order up to 10 days before the build date without any effect as long as the changes don't disqualify it from being built (i.e. parts unavailable, etc.). Second, the audiophile system replaces the 6CD system. Orders that had this automatically changed should only be responsible for the difference in price (something like $270). I know this one real well since I ordered mine on 6/22 and had to contend with the computer spitting out $75000 as MSRP. Once it was all straightened out my price was $270 or so extra for the audiophile system plus another few hundred for the invoice decrease automatic tranny upgrade price. VIN numbers get assigned anywhere from 3-6 weeks after the order (especially around now since the plants were upgrading). Delivery dates have been delayed being assigned for a couple of weeks (as of a couple weeks ago) do to the plant shutdown. So all of us still waiting should check with our sales guys regularly for the next week or so to make sure they tell us the info when they get it. Hopefully I get mine soon. Ordered 6/20, processed 6/22, VIN# on 8/10.
  • Options
    Well, it was like I died and went to a different dealership. My new ST is in my garage, safe and sound. I stuck to my guns. I was ready to walk.
    The tone was COMPLETELY different today after I was asked to come back by the sales manager. The sales manager said he spoke to the District Manager or Regional Manager named Mike Gray. Evidently, he told the dealer that Ford will reimburse or subsidize the dealer so they can be paid. They went so far as to the original price that we signed on. This was more than I asked for because as you know, I was willing to pay the difference for the upgraded stereo system.
    They accepted our original 'contracted' price and we picked up our new baby tonight!
    For those in Atlanta, the dealership is Hub Ford in Tucker, GA. Quite a ways from Grayson, but they were the only one out of the Atlanta area dealers offering me $500 over invoice in June. Now, according to their 'new' invoice, I only paid $23 under invoice.
    The sticker on this vehicle when I ordered was $30,630 (now it's $30,910)and I was only paying $28,072 (new invoice is $28,095).
    I have my completely loaded 4x4 Estate Green. These leather seats are oohh so comfortable.
    GET THIS>>the gas door does not rub at all! All the doors are painted. I only have one fit/trim item inside the ST. (driver's side passenger door handle has foam lining coming out)
    The only mechanical thing I have come up with immediately is the steering wheel needs to be aligned.
    Thank you all for your support on here. This has been such a cool experience. If it had not been all these posts on this site (and yahoo) I would not have been able to fight the fight and the dealer would have prevailed over the consumer.
    Kudos to Hub Ford and their final treatment of us, Rob Pruett & Glenn Crawford.
  • Options
    Okay, if you have received your sport trac with the audiophile system, is the CD changer in the dash branded Pioneer or Visteon?

C'mon and spill it. Maybe I'll even post another picture in the group. ;)
  • Options
    rwinegarrwinegar Member Posts: 12
    I just took delivery of my Sport Trac yesterday. I love everything about it except that stupid console bag. I believe the high series console also has a removable section, but that it is made of a hard material. Is this correct? Would that removable piece fit in the cavity now occupied by the dumb little bag?

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    Congrats on your new ST! I knew if you stood your ground you'd get it your way. Because, you were right!

I had to reorder mine for delivery in Oct/Nov to get the audiophile system, but, at the same price. Heck, even at invoice they get the hold back.

I've seen two "Job 2" STs now and neither of the gas doors were rubbing. I hope that means they're getting it right now.
  • Options
    reneau1reneau1 Member Posts: 6
    I received the coveted freebies from Ford yesterday. I took delivery of my ST on 4/21. I also registered online with Ford.

Has anyone in Washington State received their Tonneau cover yet?
  • Options
    tractiontraction Member Posts: 141
    I finally received my tonneau cover letter today 8/17. It was postmarked 8/15.

I took delivery of my ST in mid-May. I called twice to ask about my letter but it wasn't until I asked for a supervisor, Mary, that I got some movement. It took talking to her to get me the letter.
  • Options
    stinhoutx - the 6disc in dash is made by Pioneer. Visteon made the Job 1 player which was only $229 (inv). The Pioneer audiophile is $433(inv). They took the cubby hole behind the driver passenger and stuffed in the subwoofer and amp. The rear passenger's side still has a cubby hold behind the seat.
    My plan is to get my ST in the garage. It came in a week earlier thank expected, so I haven't made room yet. That will be this weekend's project. The ST is much longer than my Explorer sport (which I NEED to sell!).

On the way to work this AM sportin' the new ST, I heard a 'ringing' coming from the rear of the vehicle. Others have described this too.
    I am going to have to have the dealer re-wash this puppy. They doused the tires in armorall and it has spun off and onto the side of the ST and the lower gray paneling. Looks like crap, really, a bunch of spots on the gray and on the paint. Also noticed a scratch on the rear passenger driver's side door. Will ask for that to be fixed.

The ST is riding a little rougher and rigid than I remember on the test drive. As I cruise down the highway, I, and my passengers, feel a constant hum vibration at cruising speeed. You can really feel it through the floor boards. Kind of like a "woh, wooooh, woh."
    The tires maybe add to that vibration and road noise since they are the larger tires? Does it ride rougher being a 4x4? This is my first one, so I am not sure.
    Maybe I need to wait a bit until it is broken in.
    I will also have the dealer re-align the steering wheel. I can't keep it straight or the ST will pull to the right. The steering wheel sits the the left instead of dead on.

I am loving the styling though! The leather seats are way too comfortable. Remember to lock your tailgates everyone. I can't believe how easily they just pop right off. Looking for a way to secure the cargo cage now since it is so easy to remove.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, dberndt! By any chance is there a model number on it anywhere?
  • Options
    I found this item in the www.icollection.com catalog from Ford. This is for those that were concerned about excessive wind/road noise.

http://www.icollection.com/stores/product.asp?Dir=1&Dept=39&PDept=7&ST=0&ProdId=s9667&tDept=&dlr%5Fid=&strDept=7;
  • Options
    rwinegar---

No the high series console does not have a "hard compartment" that would fit into the space occupied by the soft bag.

Hopefully someone will make a hard piece to fit in there because I would love to burn that bag, with all of it's annoying velcro and zippers.
  • Options
    spttrcspttrc Member Posts: 14
    stinhoutx: Thank you for starting off my Friday with a laugh. Love the website you put in.
  • Options
    rwinegarrwinegar Member Posts: 12
    Is it possible to remove the entire console containing the ridicilous nylon bag and replace it with the high series console? Will the high series console fit exactly in the same space? Is it difficult to make this switch and are the bolt holes the same? Ford dealer quoted me a price of $100, including Pennsylvania sales tax, for the high series console. I would just like to know if it can be swapped before I make the purchase.

I just hate that stupid bag!

Thanks for helping me.
  • Options
    pambeachpambeach Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my SportTrac and I want to see if I qualify for the tonneau cover deal and was wondering if anyone can tell me how to determine my manufatored date by my vin#

Pam
This discussion has been closed.