Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XV

Comments

• xringxring Member Posts: 129
    I used the Mobil 1 synthetic chasis lube. I figure that if syn oil is good, why not the lube? Anyway, I'm going to give it a shot. Lubed mine the first time at 1900 miles when I changed oil the first time. No experience to pass on to ya, just my thoughts.

Good luck.

John
  • f150rulesf150rules Member Posts: 195
    Yep. You see it too. That is partly why I am persistent here. They slam other makes of truck, then when there crap comes back in their face, they deny ever slamming other makes and claim that they are "above that" and other bs.

Timothy is great for his many personalities depending on who he is posting too. Must be associated with a lack of proper upbringing. He was born a poor dumb child.
  • bcobco Member Posts: 756
    two things that i've observed since i've been here:

one, no one has a problem with ford/dodge/toyota fans posting here (here being the chevy silverado thread) as long as it contributes to the thread. bashing and personal attacks do not do this.

two, the only ford/dodge/toyota threads you'll find me in are the ones that request an opinion on the big 3 and tundra. if it has to do with chevy, i tend to take interest.

there's a huge difference.

tim - please do us all a favor and stop baiting f150 into personal attacks on this thread. it works both ways, man...let's keep the bashing and personal attacks where they belong...

bco
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    f150rules,
    Can you give us some details on this F150 that you have (year, options, upgrades, etc)? I'm just a little curious is all.

On another note.
    Has anyone else noticed this, but when I'm facing a new Silverado head on and they have their turn signal on, it is awful hard to see the orange turn signal blinking when the bright yellow daytime running lights are on. They are right next to each other and it's hard to make out the turn signal. Has anyone tinkered with their daytime running lights? Lowered the wattage, used a different color, etc?

-David
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    No more bait...(if bait worked I'd get him/her to come to my site)......

like a fly that ya can't get rid of I guess?

LOL

as much as I love this stuff...I'll wait until it comes over...
    - Tim
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    One more question where did you buy it???

Tim - i was thinking more on the lines of vaseline or KY jelly for the lube hahaha not crisco. But thanks for the suggestion
  • jaumenjaumen Member Posts: 54
    Still waiting to get some feedback on how long it takes for a truck to go through the assembly line.
    Got the M1 chasis grease at AutoZone. They had more selection of all greases than PepBoys, O'Reilly's, WalMart, KMart, etc. Cost $4.49 + tax, a little high but a tube will last me a long time. (Plus it looks pretty!)

John
    P.S. - The M1 grease also meets the GM specs as described in my owners manual for the '00 2500.

John
    John thanks so much. How long did it take you to grease it??

Jaumen: Heres my scenerio with my 1500. Order accepted 3-14
    TPW: 4-10-00
    Called 4-3-00 GM didnt know the TPW
    Called 4-10-00 to verify dealers TPW.
    GM said truck was built
    4-10-00 Truck was delivered to the dealership. Truck was built 4-6-00.
    I picked it up 4-29-00

Hope this helps a little

Ryan
  • pjcavpjcav Member Posts: 80
    Hey is that mobil 1 chassie grease purple color? I went to autozone and they only had one tube but it was all busted up and leakin. Went to wal-mart, oreily's, pep-boys and they dont have it. guess i will wait till my only auto zone gets it in.
    Hey Dean you should use this purple M-1 chassie lube, it will match your oil color. LOL
    pat
  • jaumenjaumen Member Posts: 54
    Yea, that does help...the waiting is still painful...called GM again today and they could not give me a delivery date, but did say it is in production this week...They did not say which plant it was being built at.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    That should be neat. The M1 syn grease that I had used was red in color similar to the putty that you use in autobody work...bought mine from Checkers.
    Purple oil from Napa
    Red grease from checkers
    Blue oil filter (pf59) from K Mart.

Boy, that's a lot of driving for a lube and change oil job. Maybe I should buy more than one of each....LOL

Dean
    I have two hose extensions (connected together to make one long one)on my grease gun so I can lay under the truck and have my wife work the handle (on the grease gun!) while I clean the zerks and make sure the zerk "takes" the grease. Doing it this way took about 8-10 minutes. If I had to do it all myself, probably would take ~20 minutes or so. Since this was the first time I lubed the truck, and not knowing if the factory bothers to lube them before leaving the factory, I gave each zerk 4 "pumps" - enough to get grease in the fitting without blowing out the seal.

You can get the extension hoses at AutoZone or anywhere grease guns are sold and get a connector nipple at any hardware store (take one of the hoses with you to the hardware store and get the size that fits). Sure makes it easier to have the additional reach of the extension. Get your wife or "significant other" to hold the gun while you handle the cleaning and greasing - it'll be a lot easier on ya.

John
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Anyone else have a knock in their steering column? I had the intermediate (F) shaft replaced before. Fixed it for a good while, then came back. Makes a knocking, snapping, popping, heard and felt, especially when turning or braking on uneven surfaces.
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    no purple grease? i'll have to go back to the
    link you posted. i thought they also had the
    purple stuff in grease form. if not i'll stick
    with M1. obyone, i'm curious, are you using the
    purple stuff in the rear as well? i've talked to
    a few weekend racers that run the local roundy
    rounder type tracks with super modifieds and they

all swear by this stuff.

...red
    Not purple - more of a plum color.

AutoZone here in Edmond,OK had at least 15 difference brands and kinds of chasis grease. Much larger selection than any other store I've seen. AutoZone was even competitive with WalMart on the M1 oil - I was surprised by that. AutoZone also had the M1 syn 75W90 gear lub for $6.99 a quart - beats the ~$25.00/quart for Mr. Goodwrench.

John
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    My wife would never touch a grease gun. Otherwise, great idea.

I do (11) zerks. On most, I hold the back side of the grease barrel in one hand, use the other to hold the hose on the fitting, and then smash the lever against the frame with the hand holding the barrel.
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    mine has a slight tink a tink in it when going
    over sharp bumps at slow speeds. my dealer was
    gonna swap parts from another new truck that was
    tight, but gm put the red light on the repairs
    stating that it would end up doing the same
    thing. after going through the BBB they promised
    to have a fix developed within 60 days and would
    then do the parts replacement needed to eliminate

this annoying problem once and for all. it's been

about 2 months now so i should be getting a call
    soon.
    Well, maybe i am color blind, and the M-1 was reddish color. Now that i think about it, it was. Must of been thinkin of that darn purple oil, that my NAPA did not have. Still got the blue oil filter. Anyway it was M-1 synthetic, i'm sure of that no matter what color it was.

pat
    you go to post here and it says 4-5 folks are in front of you. It must be internet "surfin" time around the USA. Very busy
    pat
    what is updated??
    Maybe the color varies from lot to lot. Anyway, close enough.

John
    ...basically announcing scheduled chats...see how it goes...
    Don't know where you all live, but it is still hot here in Oklahoma! Washed the beast tonite and sweated at least a gallon - not sure what got the wettest, the truck or me! Too hot to do anything else tonite, just surfin' time for me.

John
    just a little south of you down in san antonio.
    pat
  • 87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    My truck was shipping Friday of the TPW. Don't know when they actually started the build but it was less than a week. That was early April. BTW you can get your VIN from GM, if your dealer doesn't give it to you, then make sure it matches the truck delivered to you.
  • n75v111n75v111 Member Posts: 243
    and what information we should have from the dealer to find out when GM picks up the dealer order, the TPW and to follow up with production schedule etc.

How do we find out which Assembly Plant unit will get built at?????

I heard you could specify which Plant you wanted to build - Doubt It!!???

Planing to try to take Assembly Plant Tour at either Pontiac or Ft. Wayne mid-Oct.

75v
    Ok maybe this was stated but after your truck is built the dealership should get the VIN and from there you can find out where it was built. When i called i asked where it was built and they guy said they have no idea about that they just have it listed as completed.

75V you cant specify the plant.

Ryan
  • trucks4me2trucks4me2 Member Posts: 31
    My dealer told me that all trucks are built in one or two days of the TPW. Most are then shipped the day they are completed, and from there it is strictly trucking time to your dealership. My TPW for a '01 2500HD, ext cab, 6.0, SB, 4x4, is this coming week (hoorah!). Hope to get it by the end of Sep.

Stan
    Mine was built on a thursday 4-6-00 in fort wayne about 25 min from the dealership. They shipped it 4-10-00 and it arrived on their lot the same day 4-10-00 because it only traveled 35 mls at the most to get there.

Ryan
    can't find the Royal Purple oil for the rear. Got to special order thru Napa. Same as the grease. Since it was easier, I just used M1 grease, figuring the ball joints wouldn't mind. Not in a rush to do the rear so I guess I'll do it when it gets here.
  • odenmeyerodenmeyer Member Posts: 61
    Anyone found a fix where the lumbar and (forgot the name of the other - opens inward and outward) adjustments will change on their own while you are away? Thanks

Mark
    changed the cab air filters today. Damn things looked like a vacuum cleaner filter. Filled with dust, bugs, leaves, and whatever else you can think of. Sure glad I changed that thing out....

Dean
    My boss is going to Easley SC.

Is it a nice place?

Ryan
    How old was the filter you changed out?

John
  • careyacecareyace Member Posts: 44
    I thought something was up with my LT seats also until I said something to my wife. She said she pushes on the buttons when she is reaching in while standing on the ground.
    This is why i got manual bucket seats thank god slide it all the way back and im happy.

haha

Ryan
    filter was 13 months....14500 miles. And it did look like a vacuum cleaner bag.

Dean
    Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease
    Product Number 53201-0
    NLGI Grade 2
    Soap Type Lithium Complex
    Structure Smooth; Slight Tack
    Color Red

ITS RED not purple just to let you know the correct answer.

Ryan
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    a, who u talkin' to?

red
    Yesterday a few people had a squabble over the color of M1 Grease so i provided the correct answer.

Ryan
    I provided the correct answer yesterday. I didn't have a squabble over it either. It was simple. It was red. Is there something we didn't understand?

Grease-red
    Oil-purple
    oil filter- blue

OK?

Dean...LOL

where's f150 BTW? I'd hope the lurd be lurking...
    sometimes I just crack myself up...LMFAO!!!
    Ok. I am going to get grease tomorrow. What else do i need? Grease gun? and??? Sorry i am very new at this. I am enjoying and learning very much doing all this myself.

Also anyone ever pull out a small tree stump with their truck??? (tow hooks and chain?) I have a small stump that needs removal i figure the truck would be the best way to remove it.

Ryan
  • dumanduman Member Posts: 53
    i think there are better ways to remove a stump. but if you must try, then wrap a tow strap UNDER AND AROUND the stump. you will need to dig a pretty good size hole to get underneath. cut through the biggest roots and pull the stump from the FRONT of your 'rado, using the tow hooks. you will spin the tires is you pull from the rear.
    If you had a beater truck and didn't care, I would tell you to go for it. If you've ever seen a chain snap, the recoil will clean out the backend of your truck.

Grease gun. Get one with a trigger handle and carries a full cartridge. Best investment I made. Most grease guns have a long lever making hold the hose onto the zerk with one hand and pumping the long handle with the other very difficult. I've have the same type of grease gun but comes with a 3" trigger making it soooo much easier to pump the grease. that way, the wife stays clean and in a better mood. ;)

Dean
    Ok thanks for the tree stump removal tips.

I have my dads S-10 but no tow hooks. OOO just got an idea. Ill use my moms blazer haha it has tow hooks she will never know. Its not a big stump i am just lazy to dig it out. I will use a tow strap and my tow hooks. Hopefully no recoil. Might have a smashed windshield or headlight and grill when im done but that damn stump will be gone haha. Ill post pics after i remove it.

Thanks dean ill probably go out looking for a grease gun tonight.

Ryan
    I use a stretch type tow strap....wrap the base of the bush several times...or dig the stump roots out till you have a biggen' to wrap it on...hook to front hook....hit reverse and walahh!!....i found 4HI worked better on grass than autotrac...

Good Luck

- Tim
This discussion has been closed.