Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Real World MPG

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited August 2014 in INFINITI

Comments

• timber1224timber1224 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my g35x since Sept '04 and I get between 18 and 19 mpg doing mostly city driving. I check my mpg weekly and it has been pretty consistent since break-in. I need to go on some road trips to get true highway mpg. I don't baby the gas peddle but I don't drive like a madman either. True,the mileage is not as good as in my old Solara Cov't, but not bad for a car that is so much fun the drive and blows the doors off of my old Solara.
  • joeshanjoeshan Member Posts: 70
    Filled up an hour ago-17.4 gallons to the neck (at $2.46) of no-name after 244city miles with A/C on for the most part.. BTW, not a leadfoot nor a slowpoke.
    Am soon taking a 600 mile highway trip with 4 people and luggage, will post est. mileage.
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    I have a 04 G35 Auto with just over 11K Miles. Average MPG to date is 21.4. Best MPG has been 24.7 with the worst being 17.3. These figures have been obtained through mostly moderate highway driving with premium fuel . In city driving, the mileage really drops. Fun car to drive; however, expect to pay at the pump.
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    Mine is an 05 G35X that just turned 6000 miles on a long (535 mile) trip. So far I'm averaging 19.2 MPG in my normal commute, mostly back roads, no highway. On trips, (2 so far) I'm averaging 23.4 MPG. Not bad at all for the level of performance and the safety of AWD. She was delivered in April so I have no winter experience. Love the car! Wrong thread but the noise level is somewhat elevated though not obtrusive for a SPORT sedan.
  • geekaygeekay Member Posts: 51
    I have a 6MT Sedan. Just over 900 miles on it. Rural, backroad, highway and DC Metro area (495/WW Bridge). Average 22 mpg. Total satisfaction. Just watch my RPM and bingo, good gas mileage. P.S. I have fun too.
    OK, just got back from an 1100 mile trip. Mileage out to 550 miles averaged 21MPG. This included heavy traffic on I84 due to construction and some city use in Toronto. (Hockey tournament) On the trip home, I filled up on I190 near the Canadian border and headed home to NJ. 400 miles later with two "health stops" I filled up near home. Get this, 25.14MPG!!!! Average speed was between 75MPH and 85MPH. Three people aboard with luggage and a hockey bag. That's impressive for a 2005 G35X with 6750 miles.
  • dhsieh9dhsieh9 Member Posts: 44
    I have 2700 miles and average 21MPG with most short (< 10 miles) HW driving. Maybe it hasn't breaked in yet given the mileage I have driven since Nov 2004 when I bought it.
    I got about 25 MPG with c/c set at 70 mph and a/c on, with driver + 3 and luggage. Not too bad (04 G35X)
    I got about 25MPG with c/c set at 70 MPH, a/c on, and driver + 3 passengers and luggage. Not bad...
  • akotigaakotiga Member Posts: 11
    20 mile commute takes me about 35 minutes.
    My 2005 G35x has been averaging 19.5 mpg to 21 mpg.
  • woojacwoojac Member Posts: 6
    Have a 2004 6MT sedan. I must have the perfect conditions for mileage. About 50 miles per day round trip to work on country roads with 45 and 55 speed limits. Not many stop signs or lights. Even while having some fun I get about 27 in the summer (with A/C) and down to about 24 in the winter (Virginia winter that is). Love this car!
    :D ">
  • rsandersvarsandersva Member Posts: 10
    05 G35X purchased in Dec, 8500 miles, have keep MPG records since I purchased the car. Overall, just over 20 mpg on mixed highway and local roads (no. VA), but commute puts me in DC beltway traffic. 30 mile one-way commute can take 30 minutes in the AM and 50 minutes in the PM. The 20 mpg includes a lot of traffic time and if you know the DC weather, a lot of AC time. Also, using regular. Worst gas mileage was with a tank of premium.
  • runningonmtrunningonmt Member Posts: 1
    With just over 3K on the odometer I've been getting a consistent 21.4 mpg in a mix of highway and city/suburban driving. By observing the instantaneous mpg readout on the nav system display I know I could do quite a bit better if I could just keep my foot out of it, but driving this car in a way that exploits its power and handling prowess is way too much fun for me to behave any better than I do. :)
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Why buy a car with all that hp and not use it. ;)
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    I see it touched on above but are you guys using regular ore premium? Besides gas milage what about knocking when using regular unleaded? I just bought the car so haven't filled it yet.
    Use the gas the owner's manual recommends.
    Thanks Nick for that insightful help. This is a forum for discussion. I haven't read the owner's manual so I don't know what it says but that's not the point... what have people used in the real world? If the answer was always what the owner's manual says we wouldn't have forums like this. I know I have had cars where the type of gas really does change performance so thought I would ask what others have found. Have you bought the car yet or still thinking?
  • teamboultonteamboulton Member Posts: 27
    I agree, I know what the owners manual says, but I'd like to know what everyone else does in real life. Personally, I generally use 89 octane, but run a tank of premium (93 octane) every once in awhile.
    I didn't mean to be flippant about the owners manual suggestion, but what I have been told is that a computer will get messed up if you don't use the suggested octane. I am no mechanic, but why spend 30k+ on a car, and then get cheap with the gas?
    I use 93, usually Sunoco, Amoco, or Mobil. I get a litle pinging ocasionally, so I'll mention that to service rep at next oil change.
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    On my 2005 G35x, the owners manual calls for 87 octane as standard..... ;)
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    With computer controlled ignition, I think most cars these days will run fine on regular with reduced performance (and perhaps gas mileage.) On the gas cap of my son's Maxima it says "use premium for best performance" or words to that effect.
  • whittonmwhittonm Member Posts: 30
    2004 G35X, auto, loaded. 1500 mile interstate trip with about 800 pound load including passengers. Mileage ranged from 23.5 mpg at high speed (75+ mph) in hot climates (90-100 F) to 25.5 mpg at moderate speed (60-70 mph) in not so hot climate (80-95 F). MPG reported by Infiniti nav system. :D
  • toddos35toddos35 Member Posts: 1
    How accurate have y'all found the nav system information to be? Especially with average gas mileage? And how long are the "intervals" it shows on the graph?
  • whittonmwhittonm Member Posts: 30
    I have not checked the nav system accuracy. The intervals are user-settable
  • mike048mike048 Member Posts: 10
    I have an 05 G35X with 6,000 miles. I check my gas mileage the old fashioned way - zero out the trip meter at fill up -- dividing miles driven, by gallons filled, with a calculator, and the best I get is 15.9 with city driving. 18 mpg with mixed driving -- and 21 on highway exclusively at about 80 mph. Very disappointing! I wonder if the NAV systems are letting us down easy.
    I also do the calculations the old fashioned way on my 05 G35X with 9000 miles on her. So far, I'm getting 18.5 to 20 in mixed driving and about 23 on the highway at 75-80mph. I'm not disappointed since it's in the range of the EPA sticker.
    I drive my coupe sort of hard but am getting only about 16-18 (old fashion calculation) on mixed highway/city driving... but more highway than city! Less than I would like but still love the car!
  • mike048mike048 Member Posts: 10
    Esfoad, I'd be happy getting what you're getting. Did your mileage get better as your car gained miles or am I doing something wrong - or should I bring it in?
    I'm really not doing anything special. It's been pretty consistent since new. We did a 1500 mile trip just as I reached 2000 miles and the numbers were actually better though my speeds were a bit slower because of traffic, probably more like 70-75. I feed her a diet of premium from the local Delta gas station (consistently among the lowest prices in the area). I'm not extremely hard on the car but I'm no slouch either. You might have it checked to make sure all is well.
  • g35_rong35_ron Member Posts: 12
    I drove my 6 MT Coupe from Boston to Texas and got 24.9 mpg. I then drove from Dallas to Austin and back and got 25.9 mpg. Highway speeds for both of these are in the 80 range. My typical driving (kinda aggressive) around town gets me 21-22 mpg.
  • quasiactuaryquasiactuary Member Posts: 50
    In mixed city/highway driving (with tons of traffic thrown in) I always get right at 20 mpg. I once managed to drive a little slower for a full tank and got more like 23 mpg but it wasn't nearly as much fun :D
  • sd_diversd_diver Member Posts: 20
    With 193 miles on the odo (198 overall), I bought gas for my 05 g35 sedan (5AT) for the first time today. 11.3 gallons, giving me 17 mpg. I know it will improve, plus I am not sure how topped of it was when I got it from the dealer. New experience buying premium (91 octane) for $2.899 (San Diego). Ouch!
  • yassyyassy Member Posts: 70
    to get at 20+miles a gallon?
    i suspect many of you use the 87 octane right?
  • mkrzyzekmkrzyzek Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2005 G35x with 3k miles, and I am averaging 17-19mpg. My 1998 Maxima was averaging 20-24, so I'm ok with the G35x. Most of my mileage is highway driving, but I suspect I don't drive the car the way a normal person would (ha).

Regarding gas type, I thought the owners manual recommends premium fuel, as that is what I have been using. Where does it say you can use regular?
  • neptungrllneptungrll Member Posts: 48
    I use premium, 93 octane ALL the time. I just have never questioned it. I get 20-22 mpg of mixed driving. I belong to COSTCO. Their gas is consistency a lot lower priced than other stations in the area. Last fill up I paid $2.35 a gallon for premium. The car seems to love it. I can get over 400 miles from a tank at times.

Patty
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    The 05 G35x manual clearly states that 87 octane is the recommended fuel type. You can use a higher octane for getting slightly better performance. This is only for the G35x sedan not the coupe.
  • klpeelklpeel Member Posts: 46
    I'll double check my manual, but I just read it two weeks ago having recently bought an 05 G35x, and I remember it recommending (but not absolutely requiring) premium of at least 91 octane. In the Washington DC area, gas stations have 87, 89 and 93, which means I have been using 93.
  • quasiactuaryquasiactuary Member Posts: 50
    I just got back from a long trip through the mountains.....25.2 mpg for all highway with the cruise set at 75-79 mph.
  • redz06redz06 Member Posts: 25
    I get 19 mpg in mixed city/freeway driving. I get 22 mpg in 80 mph cruise on the highway (sorry, cannot drive this car 70 or 75). The car always gets 87 octane regular. It has been driven this way for 29,000 miles. For those of you that think the mpg will increase if 91 or 93 octane fuel is used, I think you have your head up your gas. :)
    I have been told by engineers that octane is no big deal and to buy the cheap stuff.
    I have heard the following:
    1/ Higher octane will allow higher compression so the engine can make more horsepower. Newer computer controlled engines with good knock sensors will back off the timing to allow use of lower octane fuels. Should not damage the engine, you may notice a slight decrease in performance. I'm not sure about mileage though the above post suggests no difference.
    2/ Most higher octane fuels (name brands) also contain more cleaners. Does it help in the long run??????? makes you kinda go hmmmmmmm.

I lower octane works for you, go with it.
  • colklinkcolklink Member Posts: 20
    Have had my '05 G35 6MT Coupe for almost 3 months.

Haven't used anything but Premium in it (91 recommended). Speedway sells 92, Shell 93. I seem to be able to tell a difference even between the 92 and 93. I've noticed some rattle/knocking when shutting down the engine with the 92 octane (Maybe I got a couple bad tanks of 92?). In my area, the difference between the cheap stuff and good stuff generally runs an extra dime/gallon. I'll fork over a couple bucks a tank to keep it running smooth.

MPG: Drive it pretty hard sometimes (why not?): only get around 13 - 15 MPG city driving. Highway is much better. Last fillup I calculated around 21 MPG. Didn't get it for the MPG. Got for the fun! :D
  • 4444444444 Member Posts: 8
    I have always gotten good gas MPG on the 2003 and now on the 2005 which is rated 1 MPG lower then the 2003.
    HWY:at 75mph we get 27MPG
    CITY: from 30-55 we get 22MPG
    COMBO: from 30-75 we get 24.5MPG

All at pretty spirited driving. We get up and go.
    We use 93 octane. We are not in the cheapest state but not the most exspensive
    either last at the pump was 08/25/05 paid $2.60 a gallon for 93 octane I live in NC
  • area123area123 Member Posts: 22
    Drove 800 miles, all highway w/ 91+ octane (whatever was available) and got 23.5mpg (all interstate at about 75mph).

Have also checked w/ 89 octane and doesn't make a bit of difference on mpg, however using 87 is not recommended (mine knocked severely) the one or two times I tried it.

Gets 20-22 average (80%highway) on my commutes. I think my driving is just normal, I don't act stupid and I don't drive like a granny, but I do like to pass cars and occasionally get up to 90ish in the process.
  • cpv35cpv35 Member Posts: 6
    Car has 30,000 mi., always premium gas, K&N air filter, synthetic oil.
    City commutes and daily errands: 17.4 mpg
    Highway (best on Atlanta-Seattle round trip - Wyoming at altitude - 75mph) 27.5 mpg.
    Similar to others:
    Commute - no highway = 17.5 mpg :)
    Trips w/ 80% highway = 23.5 mpg :D

I'm not at all disappointed.
  • knr5knr5 Member Posts: 85
    On my 2003.5 6MT I get 17-19 city, and 25-27 highway mpg. Overall mpg (32k miles) is 22-23 on premium gas.
  • redg356mt2005redg356mt2005 Member Posts: 5
    I've had my G35-6MT since April 2005 and have averaged 22.5 MPG overall. I used premium for the first 10k miles and averaged 22.4 mpg during that time. As an experiment I have used mid grade for the past 7k miles and have averaged 22.7 mpg during this time. My driving is mostly freeway commuting at 70-75 mph. My mileage was lower during break-in;
    ........ cuml mpg
    0-1000 20.5
    0-2000 21.2
    0-3000 22.1
    0-4000 22.4

The engine feels a little more eagar with premium but it is very subjective.

I've taken the car on 2 longer trips and averaged about 24 mpg at 75-85 mph. I don't drive slow but I do try to drive smoothly.
  • art234art234 Member Posts: 99
    I have a 2005 G35X with 14K miles. It gets around 16-17 when my wife drives-short commute, local driving, and I am averaging 18-19 with combined street and highway. I would have expected better, but the gearing in the car has the engine revving much too high for the speed--should be well below 2000 RPM at 60 mph, and it is around 2400.

I am considering a trade for an M35X though, mileage should be similar.
This discussion has been closed.