Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Real World MPG

Comments

• wind12fanwind12fan Member Posts: 1
    For my 1st fill-up, i'm getting 23.5 MPG. I drive mostly on the highway 90% and babying the car so far. Hopefully the MPG continues.
  • ncjonncjon Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 05 g35 for almost a year. On a long Interstate trip I get 26-27 mpg by driving very conservatively at 70-75 mpg (averaging multiple tanks). Local driving is more like 20 mpg, without a lot of stop&go.

I can't be certain, but I think premium gas yields slightly better mpg, enough to offset cost.

Driving style---conservative acceleration, coasting to stops, etc. plays a VERY large part in fuel consumption. Especially in a car with as much power on tap as a g35.
  • athensathens Member Posts: 25
    In my 2003 G35 coupe I regularly see 21 mpg combines suburban driving.

On my one long distance highway trip from Chicago to Springfield, this past Oct., I obtained 26 mpg at 80 mph steady.

Any one who claims Americans do not care about the price of gas which has jumped by 100% in three years is being disingenuine.

The average American earns 40K, per year, which is reduced to $32K after income taxes. $17K goes for housing, insurances, food and clothing. The average passenger car which has gasoline engine displacement greater than 2500 cc (which is about 80% of passenger vehicles on the road in the US) obtains 22 mpg in combined cycle driving. If the average motorist drives 12,000 miles per year, that motorist will soon have to expend $3,000 per year to fill up, when prices hit the projected $5.50 per gallon by 2010. That is 20% of their remaining disposable income people.

And Saudi Arabia just told the United States, to which we have sold all out latest military technology, NO INCREASE IN OIL PRODUCTION.
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    Hello all .. just an update as it has been a while for me.. i have a 2007 g35x. Living in new england I am now loving the warmer (50-70 degree) weather. Car just turned one year old with 7200 miles. Ok here are the numbers-- total MPG - mostly city driving for the year i have avg (per the cars computer) a little over 18 mpgs--. 2 weeks ago did a run to nyc (400 miles) and then to albany (another 400, both round trips). I got 24.4 and 23.7 respectively, both highway doing 75 with cruse engaged. --Net net with $4 gas not going away -- and even being able to afford a 40k car--- I have dramatically changed the way i drive and how much I drive.. I take the train more often-- and when I do drive I no longer hammer it.
  • silica1silica1 Member Posts: 23
    I've had my 2008 G35 for less than 2 months. For the past couple of tanks of gas, I am averaging 20.6 mpg with an average speed of 26 mph. The last fill-up was with 89 octane instead of the usual 93 octane. It didn't move the mpg at all. I was expecting it to drop somewhat but it didn't make a difference for my driving conditions in NC. I'm moderately aggressive in accelerating when it's clear. Most of the driving is a mixture of back roads, stop and go, with a little highway. I'm not finding an advantage from the 93 octane gas. I haven't yet tried the so called "cheap" 87 octane even though the owners manual says it can operate on low octane. According to the manual, a G37 MUST have premium gas but the G35 doesn't (just recommended).
  • lgmlgm Member Posts: 7
    Got 20 mpg on my first tank of mixed city/hwy driving, and am about 17.5 to 18 on the second (not yet done). Will update more as I go along.
  • jimjam25jimjam25 Member Posts: 1
    They should amend the title of this thread to "Infiniti G35 Real World MPG...if you drive like you stole it". My G35 consistently gets 20.5 mpg and I don't drive like Grandma by any means (I live in Phoenix and yes we have heavy traffic). I almost didn't purchase the G35 based on the "real world" data provided by the other owners in this forum who claim to get 16mpg and below. I'm here to tell other people purusing this site that it is possible to get decent gas mileage with this vehicle.
  • rag133rag133 Member Posts: 25
    I wish I knew how. I do not drive hard at all, a lot of local driving but no heavy traffic at all. I have 2500 miles on the car and still get 15-16 on any tank. On the highway I only got 20 for a 200 mile trip. Im really disappointed so far in the gas mileage, I hope it improves. I dont know how people are getting 20+ on a full tank of normal driving.
  • shov8shov8 Member Posts: 87
    I've never had less than 20mpg on any tank so far (I reset the Fuel Economy meter after every fill up) on my '08 G35S. I definitely do not drive like granny :P, but I do a bit more highway than city driving. It is hard to tell the exact MPG on the fuel economy history screen, but I would say my best MPG has been around 23 and the worst just over 20. I have noticed a slight 1-2mpg decrease since we switched to summer fuel blends here in Atlanta GA (or my lead foot is taking over!) but still get around 21mpg on average.

kc
  • coolguy8157coolguy8157 Member Posts: 29
    Im getting exactly 20 mpg for the last 3 weeks in city...I started driving like a granny to see how much I can get...this is the best I could get so far...on the highway I was able to get 26 cruise set at 68....I think that is not too bad.....looking at all other reports here... ;)
    I have a feeling my car is screwed up in some way. On the highway I only got 20 mpg at 72 mph and in the city, and NOT heavy city traffic, I get 15 on the tank!!
  • shov8shov8 Member Posts: 87
    Using the "instant" MPG gauge in the center cluster, on the highway I get anywhere from 15 to 30 mpg, depending on the road grade and if I encounter some slow downs. I would say overall I get 25 (if not a bit more) on the highway, and most of the time I am doing 75-80mph. I will do a more scientific test next week and report back :)

kc
  • busman01busman01 Member Posts: 46
    Depending on where you live, and the "blends" of fuel mandated for your area, your mileage will vary accordingly. Throw in some ethenol and your mileage will really drop.
  • joeshanjoeshan Member Posts: 70
    Man, gas will be $5.50 a gallon by August.
    '04 G35X 51K I get 15 city and 20 highway- maybe 23 on long (cruise control@70 mph) highway.
    Just spoke to a friend with an '07 Saab 9-5 Aero-20 city & 30 highway. Grrr...
    But I asked him what kind of mileage it gets in the shop ;)
  • luvmy_g35luvmy_g35 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 G35 coupe which I bought brand new. I do about 80 - 90% highway driving and I have always filled up with 91 Octane (premium fuel). Where I live, there are generally three grades of gas (87, 89, and 91). There is Sunoco which has a 94 octane but I don't use that.

I consistently get 24 mpg on the highway (travelling at 120 km/h which is 75 mph). On really good trips, the highest mileage I've gotten is 28 mpg but that is rare. With mixed city driving, I average 21 - 22 mpg.

NOTE: I notice a difference in gas mileage when I turn the VDC off. I consistently get 1 - 2 mpg better mileage with the VDC off. I would NEVER turn it off in the winter time, but during the summer on long highway drives, I turn it off.

I don't really drive like a maniac but I think I'm pretty happy with my mileage. Just wish gas wasn't so expensive!
  • habiemhabiem Member Posts: 22
    Can I hear from a few folks with 08 G35x's as to what they're getting on mileage? Honestly, an 08 is probably not as critical as the AWD. In my area, the dealers are currently damn near giving these cars away. I'm willing to pay a bit more for gas than I am right now to have the G35, vs a TSX or something, but don't want it to cost a fortune. My current car is getting about 25MPG. I drive 60 miles/day, with 50+ of that highway. Thanks!!
  • g35floodedg35flooded Member Posts: 44
    I have an 07 G35X sedan and I've been getting a solid 15.4 miles per gallon btwn highway and street. I really don't drive that much so it's not bothering me to much but I'm really not happy with the MPG on this car. I've had the car for about a yr and only have 6 thousand miles on it.... I usually drive with a heavy foot but I stopped when I saw the low MPG that I was getting and it really didn't make a big difference. I even had infiniti take a look at it and they said there's nothing wrong.
  • sharkman78sharkman78 Member Posts: 10
    I've put on 4200 miles on my 2008 G35XS with nav, sport and prem pkgs.. My driving is a mix of city and highway and I'm getting 19.9.

I just started mixing 1/2 tank of 89 with 1/2 tank of 91 and I can't detect any difference in performance or mileage..

sharkman
  • odymikeodymike Member Posts: 23
    2008 G35X with 2,500 miles here. I believe a key feature to notate, isn't just city/highway mix, but topographical make-up. We live in Pennsylvania, and therefore contend with a lot of hills, which I believe factor in quite a bit. We drive about 90% rural/city and 10% highway. We are currently averaging 19.5 MPG on 89 octane (only got 18.2 on 93, and figure the reduction HP due to timing retardation isn't a factor 306 vs. 296 or so?). We are happy with that, since the sticker 'observed' rating was 19 - so it wasn't a surprise - since we were never expecting > 20.
    3000 miles on mine, the last tank was a mix of highway/local and I got 18. That was my highest by far. Highway I got 20 for the full ride, and usually with all local I am getting around 16. I use 89 octane now too, I see no difference so far.
  • missymmissym Member Posts: 10
    I purchased my 08 g35x w/ 6k miles on it. It was at 19 mpg when I purchased it and now (2k miles later) Im at 19.2. I drive mostly city.
  • lgmlgm Member Posts: 7
    I have about 1500 miles on my 08 G35x. Gettting about 16-17 in city driving, and just did a 250 mile freeway trip where I averaged 24 mpg, going 70-75miles/hr, and with 89 Octane (decided to try it after reading some of the previous posts)
  • bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    I'm getting 23 MPG on my 08 G35XS which has less than 2000 miles on it. This was all highway starting from Montvale, NJ to Allentown, PA. So, there are some rolling hills and I drove mostly around the speed limit on this trip. Wasn't in any hurry and there were plenty of NJ State Troopers along I-78.

I'm happy with the mileage. You can achieve EPA estimates if you don't get too crazy. Proper throttle management and smart driving will get you there. Don't race into a turn or to a red light and you'll be fine.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    NJ State Troopers have stepped it up many notches all over the state. The length of the Garden State Parkway, they hide like they are in Iraq.

Regards,
    OW
    I also have an 07 g35x and get 17mpg for the life of my car --15 mths i have driven only 8k miles. I have found on the highway with cruise engaged (at 72mph) you can get mid to low 20's --best i've seen is 26mpgs.. I do most of my driving intown so I am not the best example ( i live in boston) but with higher gas prices I have changed my driving profile-- I know infiniti has changed the gearing for 08 and wondering if that is making a difference (please post 08 owners of even better 07 owners who have gotten the update). Car wants to rip and its hard not to floor it when entering an on ramp..
  • drmikedrmike Member Posts: 3
    Those of you relying on your vehicle's computer to determine your "real world MPG" have no idea what your real mpg is. The ONLY method to accurately determine your true MPG is to fill up - all the way up the neck of the tank. Note miles on odometer. Drive until you need to fill up again. Fill up all the way up the neck (not just to pump shut off, as different pumps shut off at different points). Note miles on odometer and figure out the number of miles driven since previous fill up. Divide number of gallons it took to fill up into the number of miles driven.

The result is your real world MPG on that tank of gas.
  • nealdruckernealdrucker Member Posts: 2
    After one month and 2,100 (taken a few road trips), my real MPG is averaging 20 mpg in the city (Atlanta driving on interstates, 38 miles round trip to and from work) and over 24 mpg on the highway for the last two trips. Using preminum gas. Has anyone been using regular in their new G35 and how is your gas mileage?
  • jg88jg88 Member Posts: 59
    The trip computers are notoriously off in almost every vehicle for computing mpg.

We just bought a used '05 g35 with 5sp auto and are getting 20 mpg around town with a little highway driving thrown in. Also, sonce the manual sugests 91 octane, we also have been alternating between 89 and 93 every other tank. Have seen no difference in mpg between the two octanes.

Think Infiniti really could improve mileage with simply adding a 6th gear above the current 5th. This car has plenty of power and readily downshifts so there would be no performance penalty while cruising in a higher top end gear. For instance, when driving at 70 mph, our '05 tachs exactly at 2700 rpm. Am betting that if there was a 6th speed, it could easily tach at 2300-2400 and improve rated/real world highway mpg to 28 mpg while also saving a little wear and tear on the drive train. I noticed that the '08 g35 journey I test drove tached at 2900 rpm at 70 mph -- a step in the wrong direction IMO. Does Infiniti plan on going to a 6-sp like BMW and Lexus uses? I noticed the 3 series in 6th tachs around 2,100 rpm. No wonder it's highway mpg rating is so high.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I agree that this powerful an engine does not need to turn 2700 rpm at 70. My Olds Intrigue ran only 2000 at 70 and got 30 mpg at 70+ and my Camry 3.3L V6 turns about 2200 and gets over 28 mpg at 70 (granted it's not as big nor as agressively tuned as the G engine.)

According to the new MT that just came today, the '09 G will have a 7 sp automatic.
  • jg88jg88 Member Posts: 59
    Interesting news. A 7 sp could really help with increasing highway mpg and possibly do the same around town. If the high end gearing allows the engine to turn at something in the lower 2 grand range, that's the ticket.
    Yep, that makes me feel so glad to have bought a 2008 with the 5 speed a few months ago when the new one with the 7 will be out soon enough. Hooray.
  • lees1lees1 Member Posts: 1
    I thought I would post my personal experience of "real worl" MPG. I have an 07 G35 Sedan I have had for 1 yr and 3 mos. I am anal retentive about checking my MPG on every tank. I have computed the mpg on my own to check the car computer. The car is pretty accurate.... I drive mostly city and rural roads (50 miles per day) and have always averaged over 20mpg. I have recently used my cruise control as much as I can and have reached 24 mpg. I alternate between regular and premium gas and really havent noticed much of a difference. This car is not as bad as most complain. I you drive reasonable you will get better than most claim and if you use the power it has to offer you should see about 20mpg. I have yet to get under 20 mpg. (My dealer told me you should see better mpg's once the engine has broken in (about 8-10k miles)
    I would agree that MPG's have improved with age --my 07g35x has 9000 miles on it and have seen an increase from 17 to around 20..
  • johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    Agreed on the computer's accuracy. I gave up my control freakness when testing against my 04TL and it was always within a few 1/10ths. My car gets bad mileage..period. Maybe it's NJ gas....maybe it's because it's a sport model (Although I have my tires at 42psi right now...being the lower profiles). I'm sitting at 19.2 or so right now and that's only because I did a highway trip friday that put me a tad over 20. I'll be back down to 17ish by the time this tank is done. As for driving styles....same driving..same trips...2005 s2k used to get me a low of 25ish and as high as 30 if I REALLY short shifted it...I actually use the paddles to short shift this thing sometimes since it wants to wind any gear out any time with the slightest tap of throttle. I really need to go get that ecu update but my dealer is pretty far away. I also run mobil one synth which should help, if anything, mpg.
  • ajpnjajpnj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 G35 and routinely get 21-22 in mixed driving. It seems to be getting better with age as I used to get only 18-19 on the same trip. I've checked the mileage at every fill up for around 65K miles. Best highway was 27, driving around 75 (tough to go faster in the Northeast with all the speed traps).
    I would like to upgrade to the 09 G37 sedan, but am afraid that the mileage would be considerably worse. Any word on the mileage ratings for the new 09? Presumably the 7 speed transmission would help, but Infiniti has not been the best for mileage. I know Infinitis are known for performance, not mileage, but I would not feel right about going backwards in efficiency after 5 years. Also thinking about the BWM 335 which seems to be powerful but also efficient. Comments?
    If you go for the G37, your efficiency should be equal to your current gen G35. The reports are a 7-speed auto will be added which could help efficiency. No reports official that I've seen on EPA yet but considering 325 HP will be the new playing field, it will be interesting to see the efficiency at that level of performance.

The 335i will be in the same EPA ball park. The 328i is 2 -3 MPG better.

Regards,
    OW
    Last Gen Z06 got like 29mpg highway....highway mileage is primarily gearing and aerodynamics. These cars are very smooth with the wind. 7 speed with a super tall 7th along with milder programming on the auto trans in D (After all...there is D and DS mode), would surely improve mpg a lot. If they dump a 7 speed in and leave the same propensity to hold gears for silly amounts of time or downshift so fast, the city MPG will still suck.
  • krsboxsterkrsboxster Member Posts: 2
    I've had an '04 G35 sedan (leather 6MT) since new. It now has 72000 miles. Up until now, I'd get about 17 - 19 mpg in urban driving (Wash DC) and 24 - 26 mpg in highway driving. I've moved and my mix of driving has changed to predominantly rural, so I'm not surprised to be averaging about 24 - 25 mpg in daily driving. However, I've recently done a couple of 360 mile trips and have gotten 28 - 29 mpg, which never has happened before. I have been using cruise control (limit + 5-7 mph) for years to avoid more law enforcement encounters, so that doesn't explain the change. I've tried 87, 89 and 93 octane gas, and octane doesn't seem to affect mpg.

Has anyone else experienced a bump up in gas mileage on a higher mileage G35?

[P.S. The car always has been awesome, but now that my driving is mostly rural mountain roads, it and I are much happier.]
  • durangojaydurangojay Member Posts: 31
    I have had my 2007 G35X for almost exactly a year and have 7500 miles on it. I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of to improve my gas mileage, but cannot seem to break 11-12mpg around town. Now on the highway, which I don't frequent as much as I would like, I get more like 23-24mpg. Does anyone have any suggestions for my around town driving, which I mainly do? I have tried every gear selection, being light on the pedal, octanes, oils, gas treatments, but nothing seems to help. The car has PLENTY of punch when I need it, and I'm not complaining about the car or cost of gas. I can afford it or I wouldn't have bought such a fabulous car. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks. :shades:
  • tfromatltfromatl Member Posts: 2
    You probably need to lay off the hammer between stop signs.... ;) But I have to agree with the other posters here. I have a G35 sport with K&N air filters. The mileage does improve as it breaks in. I used to get 20.1 in city driving and 24.2 hwy mpg but after my car turned over 20k my mpg has increased on the hwy 26.6. But on the highway I set the cruise on 81 - 82 and this thing just rides. I do take my car in for every service interval to keep it in good running condition. My only complaint about this car is also the result of it being a sports sedan, the tires don't last long. Expect to change the rear tires every 20k and the front tires every 28 - 30k (disclaimer "your mileage may vary see dealer for details....).
    Thanks for the input. So, you're saying that K&N filters might help? I've been advised by knowledgable people here that at this high altitude and dusty conditions, that the K&N will allow TOO much dirt through. Nevermind that I don't really believe in them as a rule. I run them in my Suburban, 8.1l, and it's a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to change and clean them. Any other suggestions would be welcome...Thanks...Jay...p.s. I do maintain the car to specs and rotate tires etc...
  • krsboxsterkrsboxster Member Posts: 2
    You may know this already, but aside from gradual acceleration, looking as far ahead as possible to anticipate red lights, congestion, etc. so that you're coasting (rather than braking) as you approach something that will slow you down is about all you can do. That said, depending on conditions in your area and your driving style now, it can make a fairly big difference (e.g., 2 - 3 mpg) around town.

I doubt that manual gear selection would do any good, and it might actually cause poorer gas mileage. I don't have an automatic transmission, but for best mileage the objective is to get into the highest gear, fifth or sixth, as soon as possible, and I'm guessing that Infiniti's settings and a light foot are your best shot at that.
  • tfromatltfromatl Member Posts: 2
    I believe the K&N air filters help. I am not qualified to tell you how they will perform for you in Denver. I live in the Atlanta area (home of one of the worst commutes in the nation). One thing for sure, the K&N air filters will provide you with much better filtering of dust and dirt than the standard paper filters. All of my vehicles have them as I put K&N filters on with the first air filter change. As you may know, we (Atlanta) are suffering one of the worst droughts in our history that has held on for over 2 years (until this week, thankfully). We have extremely high pollen counts, dust and just nasty air that comes with living in metropolitan areas.

You will probably see an uptick in your mpg as the car breaks in. I know they say the G35 breaks in around 1k - 1.5k but my car has done nothing but improve in areas of performance, mpg and ride. It was a little bumpy toward the end of my rear tires' life but now with new rear tires the ride is better than ever. I hope this helps.
    Oddly enough....the stock programming is to hold each gear for WAY too long regardless of throttle. Showing off the 7600 redline? Who knows.
    Try this....put it in M mode and short-shift every gear....about 10 mph per gear seems to be the way to go. I will bet you $ your city MPG improves. It's a little easier in mine (Paddles), but same concept.
    Thanks for the insight people. Perhaps I will try the K&N filters, although it will take quite awhilw for the savings to kick in considering the cost of them. Perhaps I do have a heavier foot than I think, but coasting around is not what I boughta 306hp car for,,,stay tuned,,,Thanks again.
    10k miles on a 2007 g X. Mixed driving car still has a problem hitting 20mpg-- if I drive city only its around 17 .. On 2 recent highway runs of 300 and 200 miles i have seen just under 22 and just over 24 respectively. That is 90% highway with cruise engaged for most of the trip with an avg speed of 72 mph. I have tried using the manual mode when stuck in traffic to upshift as quick as possible before the car would automatically and have no idea if this is doing anything for mpgs. I would wait on the K and N filters until your in need of a new filter.
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I guess I'm stuck with a powerful, luxury, beautiful looking car that just doesn't have the around town gas mileage I would like. But that's ok. I love the 306 ponys, and letting her loose once in a while. I got stopped yesterday for doing 55mph in a 35mph zone. Sherriff was pissed, BUT let me off with a warning. Unreal. Well keep those cards and letters coming. I love my Infiniti G35X. Long may it roll...
    By the way, I'm going to hold off on those K&N's for now. The savings equalibrium point is just too high. Cheaper just to replace with OEM stock. Thirt-eight bucks or so. Also, I know it's not in this thread, but people, PLEASE check/change your cabin micro-filter AT LEAST once a year. I just did mine at one year and 7500miles, and it was filthy. So it does it's job very well, but will impair your AC/heat flow-through system seriously if you don't replace it regularly. It's located behind the glove box. You can order it from an Infiniti/Nisson dealership and try to do it yourself (a little tricky!) or spend $25 and have them do it. It's just that the screws are hard to get at without the proper tools and you have to be somewhat of a contortionist to reach all of them. But trust me, it makes a big difference in the quality of your cabin air, ESPECIALLY if you live in dusty (me) or dirty city air areas. It's worth it. Mobil 1 every 3000-3500 doesn't hurt either. Make sure you use OEM oil filter with the CRUSH GASKET ($.80). Must use that gasket EVERY oil change to eliminate small, annoying leaks. Thanks agin everyone. Jay
    I've got a 350 mile (each way) road trip this weekend. Will report back results, hopefully with no tickets. I have swithed gasoline to Exxon for a try, from Conoco, and added STP gas treatment to the tank. This is the second tankful in a row that has received it. The first did not seem to do much. We'll see. I'm hoping to see 24-26mpg on the hiighway.
    Use your cruise control and be vigilant of efficiency and the troopers! State funding is down and ticketing is UP! Looking forward to your results.

Safe driving!

Regards,OW
This discussion has been closed.