Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata vs. Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Ford Fusion

Comments

• Options
    stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    I happend to notice that more than twice as many people have rated Sonata on the Edmund's forum than have rated Accord. I really think this speaks to the great ethusiasm the Sonata has generated. People that own one tend to love it!!
  • Options
    ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    Yes, but the Sonata has been out longer than the 2006 Accord. The 2006 Sonata was out on the "rate your vehicle" list longer than any of these 3 vehicles.

Did you know that the Accord is the 2nd most researched car on Edmunds? ;) I believe it is one of the top reserached car on MSN autos to.

Edit: Backy is correct. If you notice, at the start (2003) the Accord had ALOT of reviews. The 2003 Accord had 500+ reviews! But the number decreased as the years went by.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes, the Sonata has been out about 5 months longer. But the Accord sells at 2-3 times the volume, so those two factors tend to cancel each other. Maybe more Sonata owners feel the urge to offer ratings on their cars because it was an all-new design for '06 and the '06 Accord is a tweak to the '03 redesign.
  • Options
    Most of these corporations books are smoke and mirrors - believe me.
  • Options
    Its also one of the most stolen cars.
  • Options
    94hawkskin94hawkskin Member Posts: 116
    I still feel that there are more Sonata owners on Edmunds because people really research before they buy their vehicles on Edmunds. And after doing the research, they realize the Sonata is a no-brainer.

Same car or better for thousands less!
  • Options
    gujuguygujuguy Member Posts: 19
    here are my impressions from Philly autoshow. Of course its bit bias towards 2007 camry but I will try to be neutral. Whatever I comment here is strictly based on my visit to autoshow. Some car might be worst in interior (3 series) but fun to drive.

- VW interior, particular Passat was impressive. Atleast its welcome change for Camcord drivers.
    - How in the world, people are buying Lexus IS and BMW 3 series sedan. These models should be strictly couple because rear seats are just not usable exept to put some golf bags. I am surprised how stupid Lexus can be blindly following 3 series to beat it. I liked Acura TL, its well rounded luxury sedan. Of course Infiniti G35 rocks. Overall I liked German interior.
    - Mercedes sucks big time. They have nothing new in the line up and all of their models looked like average stuff riding on old Mercedes reputation. Its funny I liked Chrysler better than Mercedes lineup.
    - GM, particularly Chevy made nice stride in quality. Their stuff looked lot more robust. Buicks new line up looked stunning with nice interior.
    - Chysler was even better, each and every car quality was in in line with Japanese car.
    - Toyota hit right on the nail with Rav4 and 2007 camry. You just can't go wrong with either of them with 268 HP v6. Its just gentle beast that begs to be pushed to 100MPH +.
    - Honda Accord looks ugly with new Led taillights. Its looks bit out touch compared to Camry and Sonata.
    - Ford fusion, wow wow.. this company can degrade its stuff so much, I have no doubt its going in drain. All of their cars sucks big time, just go and check yourself. Look at the edges of the windows, open compartments and you will see lot of brushed paint, torned duck tapes... I think Ford has to spent many more years to improve interior quality that can compete with rest of the world.
    - Hyundai Sonata, no complaints, everything looked perfect. Might be thats the reason I found it too much monotonous. I definitely prefer it above 2006 camry but with 2007 camry on horizon, I will wait for 2008 or 2009 Sonata before giving this one a try.
    - Hyundai Azera, Except simple front, everything was luxurious about this upscale Sonata. I liked it.
  • Options
    iwantonetooiwantonetoo Member Posts: 86
    Perhaps anyone who didn't consider the Fusion would be doing themselves a disservice since it is a good choice in this category.
  • Options
    averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    GLS V6 with power seat is only $400 less than an LX. For the extras I'd get in the LX, I would not even consider the GLS unless I surely did not want a V6.
  • Options
    driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    I trade my cars in often and I don't like to be categorized as "dumb" for it. I can afford to do so comfortably so why the heck not? I like differentiation and I like style and I like new things, so sue me. Considering that I do trade in my cars often, I do like to have good resale value. Because I can afford more, doesn't mean I want to pay for more. And with my high resale values, I usually don't pay that much to upgrade. For example I traded in my 2001 Nissan Altima and got $10K for it when I purchased my 2004 Mazda 6 for $15K.

Backy, I stopped by a Hyundai dealershoip today and checked out a white Sonata. It looked real sharp. It is definitely in the running again. I still don't like the interior but in full scale trim and wooden inserts for the door armrests that will match the factory wood, I might be able to live with it. I also saw an Azera with black interior and maple wood accents. Wow!! It was impressive. If it weren't for the front end that car would be a real looker. Wonder why you can't get a Sonata with black interior.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Maybe more Sonata owners feel the urge to offer ratings on their cars because it was an all-new design for '06 and the '06 Accord is a tweak to the '03 redesign.

For a long time I couldn't rate my Honda...the site had a bug in it and rating was impossible until it was fixed. There wasn't even a link to do so. I spoke with one of the hosts when trying to rate the Accord back in Nov. when I got it, and only recently have I been able to (haven't gotten around to it yet, though). Look for the numbers of the Accord ratings to increase more rapidly now that it is fixed.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    Well I don't know about that, I never used the warranty of my 2000 Elantra. My wife never used hers on the 2002 Accent (still under warranty BTW). My daughter hasn't used hers on her 2002 Elantra. I don't think that I anyone with a Hyundai that had much warranty work. I don't see why someone would have a different experience with the new Sonata.

What is your warranty experience with your Hyundai?

What you don't have one? then what is your basis for that claim?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    Most of these corporations books are smoke and mirrors - believe me.

Oh really. And we are to believe you because.....?

I can analyze and research thousands of public corporations right now on the internet and get a good degree of surety of what the numbers are saying. Try that with Hyundai and see what you come up with. And if you do come up with comparative data, its validity is suspect due to the 'rules' Hyundai comes up with to compile their reports. US companies don't get to 'wing it'.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Actually you can get a Sonata with a black interior... if you live in a country like the Republic of Korea. So maybe Hyundai will offer that color in the U.S. someday. I saw one at a Hyundai dealership in Seoul last year that had black leather with red stitching.
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Oh really. And we are to believe you because.....

FYI,

Here is a link to Hyundai's corporate web page which has links to sales figures, stock information, etc. Since you seem to be the resident financial anaylst here (self-appointed), please thoroughly review the info available and give us your unbiased opinion. ;)

Hyundai World-wide
  • Options
    Oh I don't know about that, I found plenty of Hyundais financial information. I am pretty sure they are not "winging it".

• Options
    Oh you will get his opinion, but it won't be unbiased. From what I have seen Hyundai seems to be on pretty good footing,

• Options
    I agree on both points. It's unfortunate that so many try to pose as possessing expert opinion/experience when all they know is questionable anecdotal evidence or unverifiable third or fourth hand experiences. I have no problem if they have solid, proven evidence to back them up, but when they make those seemingly sound but unverifiable claims, well...
  • Options
    I know, isn't this the same guy who keeps saying Hyundais finances are smoke and mirrors and that there is no difference between Hyundai and the Korean Government?

Anyway you can get the basic financial information at Hoovers.com, very easy to find this stuff if you know where to look.

• Options
    gheilergheiler Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2006 Camry and have been dissappointed with the ride quality. I was getting steering wheel and floorboard vibration feeding through, it was not a smooth ride. They changed the tires and it got a lot better but still is not meeting my expectations.

Has anyone test drove the cars on not perfectly smooth highway conditions? If so thoughts? I love everything with the car except the ride. I am wondering if my ride quality expectations are just to high for this class of car, although other GM cars I have owned seemed to ride much smoother.
  • Options
    sigt1sigt1 Member Posts: 66
    camry is probably the best overall
    honda if you want something a little flashier

wouldn't trust the other two, but would definetely take both over a european car
  • Options
    sigt1sigt1 Member Posts: 66
    don't know what this guy is talking about? ride is real smoothe in the camry... weird
  • Options
    I think you may be right on him. By the way, that's a nice site. Lots of good info there. :)
  • Options
    martianmartian Member Posts: 220
    This is something I've been wondering about-why is it that the Korean makes appear (to me, anyway) to get such poor gas mileage? take the KIA Rio-my wife had one recently (her car was in the body shop follwing a collision with a bus). The Kia ran OK, but tiny as it was, it got barely 20 MPG in town! Other posters have mentioned that the Hyundai Sonatas are getting in the low 20's 9on the highway). Why is this? Are the Korean small cars too heavy or are they geared low?
  • Options
    Not sure thats the case. For small cars and hatchbacks the Accent and Rio are the third best (once you eliminate hybrids and diesels). The Elantra ranks best for family cars (again once the Hybrids are eliminated) and the Sonata is equal to the Accord and Camry.

• Options
    mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Options
    cxccxc Member Posts: 122
    If one would buy a Hyundai Sonata for $16K three years ago instead of $26K for another car (you can name a few such cars), he/she would save $10K. He/she would buy the Hyundai stock using the saved $10K three years ago. Here is where he/she is today –
    1. The worth of the car is about $8K.
    2. The stock is about $35K.
    He/she has about $43K in hand.

If he/she would buy another car for $26K because of its high resale value, he/she would have
    1. About $17K for car.
    2. Zero investment income.
    He/she has about $17K in hand. To realize this $17K, he/she has to be an unpaid car sale man or woman. Buying for a high resale value == Becoming an unpaid sale man or woman for that car company.
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I've heard, and read, the same about Korean cars. However, we purchased a new 2006 Elantra GLS sedan w/4-speed automatic transmission, and so far, we're pleased with the gas mileage. It's my wife's car, and she uses it in pretty much a "worst case" scenario for gas mileage for in town driving, especially since it's winter here in the midwest. Her daily commute is around 5 miles each way of city stop-and-go driving, and then she also drives it to the grocery store, etc. Last fill up registered 23.5 MPG, and this was totally city stop-and-go winter driving. Our first highway trip registered 32MPG, and I was driving between 65 and 75 most of the way. It's certainly not the best, but overall we're pleased with the Elantra's gas mileage.

The majority of Japanese cars, even in this class, typically use a 5-speed automatic, plus their engines are generally more technologically advanced. Perhaps, these are major factors in the gas mileage differential??
  • Options
    I guess I shouldn't have used the word dumb but they certainly are smart with their money if they trade their car in all the time.
    I am sure you are also the type who takes out an equity loan on his house to buy a brand new $10,000 plasma TV. But you are certainly not alone and its a free country to spend you money as you pls. I guess you can't take it with you!
  • Options
    sonatamesonatame Member Posts: 72
    With brand new Sonata V-6 GLS from Avis I have averaged 27 and 28 miles per gallon traveling at speeds of 70 to 80 plus every take off is with rental acceleration.

My Sonata LX has been driven in town and I am right around 18 mpg in heavy stop and go. My car only has 650 on and spends most time in garage (company car).
  • Options
    You should get better than that after its broken in. My Elantra last week got just over 24 MPG in 100% stop and go traffic here around Chicago. Since mine is older and a less fuel efficient model (a station wagon) you should be able to get 2 or 3 MPG city better.

FWIW last time I measured strictly highway use I got about 34 MPG.

• Options
    I purposely bought a 4 cyl just because of gas mileage. There was a million 6cyl's on the lot and the salesman tried to talk me into one but I wouldn't budge. The 4cyl has plenty of power and burns alot less gas.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Hindsight is 20/20. I could've invested that in the company my grandmother works for, but it (Vesta Insurance) went from $56 to $.85 due to a corporate scandal like that of Enron (cooking the books). You kind of idealized that, IMO. BTW, who buys a car costing 10k more for resale alone? Most people (in all honesty) buy what seat fits their butt best, what ((thunk)) in the doors makes them smile, and what drives sweetly on their test drive. There is more to a car than resale.
  • Options
    There is more to a car than resale.

Exactly! Nuff said! ;)
  • Options
    There is more to a car than resale.

No truer words were ever spoken. Yet Honda fans usually resort to playing the resale card when you start to compare their cars to others. Makes you start to think.

• Options
    please thoroughly review the info available and give us your unbiased opinion.

Wow - A Korean company posting its performance in the Korean stock market in Korean currency issued by its 'spouse' the Korean government.

But Korea is just like the US capital markets - right?
  • Options
    Hey tenpin was I right or what. No unbiased opinion there.

But Korea is just like the US capital markets

Yep the good old US market with the intergrety of Enron, Pharmore and Convienent food marts. :blush:

• Options
    How so very predictable he is...
  • Options
    From what I have seen

What have you seen? Comparative financial statements from Hyundai that are prepared under guidelines American companies comply with? Really?

Why is it hard for you Hyundai boys to accept that Hyundais finances can't be scrutinized more like American companies? It doesn't manifest itself in the quality of the car that's built does it? My point is that Hyundai can take a hit to buy market share in America that an American company can't.
  • Options
    zen2zen2 Member Posts: 226
    !00 % Correct! That is why I got the Sonata. :)
    Same thunk when the doors closed, same or better
    ride quality and performance. Same or better fit
    and finish. 10K for the reputation? I don't think
    it is worth it.
  • Options
    driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    "I am sure you are also the type who takes out an equity loan on his house to buy a brand new $10,000 plasma TV. But you are certainly not alone and its a free country to spend you money as you pls. I guess you can't take it with you!"

Buddy I have a degree in finance with a specialization in personal financial planning. Trust I know how to spend my money and use debt wisely. I told you I traded in my 2001 Altima for $10K and got a 2004 Mazda6i for $15K. Can you say deal! Money is meant to not just purchase what you need but also what you want. From your logic, since I am single and do not have much need for extra space, I should just buy an Aveo and drive it into the ground. With all the money I save I should invest and make money. My pursuit in life is not just to make money the most efficient way. I want to have some fun. My $5K car note is for 48 months and I over pay. Trust me, it is not killing me. So if I can upgrade again to a V6 Sonata or Fusion that should run me about $18K, pay down $2K and trade in my car for $11K for more options, more luxury, more speed, and a little more spice, why wouldn't I? Some people take trips across the world for the experience of it all. They could save their money and invest it. But would that really equal the joy that they had seeing the beaches of Barbados? If you understand that, than you understand me when I take the road that I know has sharp corners in my Mazda. I want to own an SUV at some point, a Pontiac Solstice, and a sexy looking coupe. Traveling may be your thing, driving is mine.
  • Options
    What have you seen?

I have seen their financial statements and annual report.

I have seen the data on them on Hoovers

I have seen their SEC filings.

Why is it hard for you Hyundai boys to accept that Hyundais finances can't be scrutinized more like American companies?

You mean like how enrons was scrutinized?

My point is that Hyundai can take a hit to buy market share in America that an American company can't.

Wow I never knew that taking a hit ment that your after tax and net income goes up.

• Options
    jpnewtjpnewt Member Posts: 71
    As I said earlier, it started at $4K difference then $8K and now Congrats zen2 you've bumped it to $10K difference. Why not push it to $12K? Let's be realistic with these numbers! Also OPDS stands for Occupant Position Detection System which means the side air bag in pass. seat will turn off if that person is in a unsafe position, doesn't weigh enough(65LBS), or isn't sitting high enough in the seat where the air bag can hurt them. In 2005 of ALL midsize cars tested on side impacts only 3 passed the Accord, Camry, and the Malibu w/ side curtains and of those 3 only the Accord scored as Good. We will see this year but once again history not on Hyundai's side.
  • Options
    Could it be because it will bring the thief more $$? Don't hear the Hyundai brand being stolen much do ya? Tells you what people other than you think about their cars.

You do know that most cars are stolen to be chopped up and sold as spare parts? A high demand for spare parts for a car usually means that that car will be stolen more often. Now what does that tell you?

• Options
    Yeah it means that you see a lot of Honda's still on the road where as the Hyundai's are all in the junk yard! ;)
  • Options
    Actually, it is the late model Honda's that are on the most stolen list. Honda's are most likely stolen because their parts are needed in the tuner market.

1. 1995 Honda Civic
    2. 1989 Toyota Camry
    3. 1991 Honda Accord
    4. 1994 Dodge Caravan
    5. 1994 Chevrolet C/K pickup
    6. 1997 Ford F-150
    7. 2003 Dodge Ram
    8. 1990 Acura Integra
    9. 1988 Toyota pickup
    10. 1991 Nissan Sentra

I doubt thieves will steal 91/92/93...etc Hyundai's because they were so cheaply made! But I admit that has changed now, the company made a big turn.
  • Options
    Or it could mean that Hondas need more spare parts than Hyundais. Think about that.

• Options
    I also agree that they are better made but keep in mind where they came from, there was no where to go but up. Hyundai is getting better but I(my opinion) just can not agree like some here that think the Sonata is a better car than the Accord or Camry.
  • Options
    I understand your point, you don't seem to understand mine. If there are no spare parts that still work on a Hyundai and there are NO Hyundais that still run you don't need to steal or can't find a Hyundai to steal. Think about that please. How many Older Hyundai's do you still see on the road? Humm...
  • Options
    Thefts of older cars also may reflect growth in the so-called tuner market, where older, mainly Japanese-made cars are modified for road racing. - This seems like a better reason.

Click here

jpnewt makes a good point that you should think about.
This discussion has been closed.