Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• chongminchongmin Member Posts: 5
    I bought a 2009 HCH. During the summer I routinely got 48mpg. Starting this fall where there was a lot of rain, I started to see 44mpg. I suspect the windshield wiper usage and headlight must have cost the mileage. My commute is half local half highway, but rarely picks up speed on highway. I drive a little bit on the slow side, but keep up with the traffic from the traffic light.
  • mrwaugmrwaug Member Posts: 16
    51mpg spring/ fall wo a/c 47mpgsummer w a/c temp 90+ 39 winter temps below 35 degrees yearly average 45mpg. 2007 Civic 20000 miles, original tires.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    These forums cannot be used to organize legal actions, so please do not post information trying to organize class action lawsuits, links to lawyer's sites where you can join a suit, etc. as those posts will have to be removed.

If you have any questions about this, please click on my username and drop me an email and I'll be happy to discuss it there.
  • djl329djl329 Member Posts: 3
    I've had my 2008 HCH for 13000+ miles now and I get about 44 MPG. I keep the tires inflated about 2 or 3 PSI above manual, use 'name brand' gas, don't accelerate hard and coast when possible (heading to traffic light -- no need to hurry up to come to a complete stop!). Also, I try not to go over 65 on the highway, but usually keep it below 60, as drag increases exponentially (accelerating from 55 to 65 uses more fuel than going from 45 to 55). My commute is local ( ~15 miles, round trip), so I don't do a lot of highway driving, but when I do, I get over 50 MPG. You cannot drive *any* car like a sports car and get great gas mileage.

However, during the winter (this is my 2nd with the HCH), my MPG drops (per tank) to around 33-36. Need to check the tires more often (obviously), but the Hybrid engine simply does not perform as well when it is cold. For instance, the engine has to warm up before it turns off during stops (e.g. traffic lights).

At first, I thought perhaps the gasoline 'winter blend' had something to do with it, however we had some nice temps (mid 60's) during November and my MPG went back to 'normal.'
  • frednjudikfrednjudik Member Posts: 22
    Sorry DJ, but you're not a normal driver. If I drove like 55 to 60 on Highways here in Southern Calif. and slower than speed limit in town, I would get run over. Again, if you get 50 mpg on the highway driving normally (70 to 75 mph) with factory recommended weight, and tire pressure, please take the car into an independent mechanic, and have him tear the car apart to see what secret module Honda has put into your vehicle. Gasoline brand has nothing to do with mpg. Wasting money on Premium Gasoline Does at Cost per MPG. Glad you are getting such fantastic MPG, Honda should give you a medal!
    Thanks, I know I'm not 'normal' -- I'm better! :) But, seriously...

The drivers here in Jersey are as bad as anywhere (they've bled over from NY!), and I don't get run off the road (co-workers here give me the same excuse!). I can't possibly be that brave, I'm only 5'5"!!! (NJ has the highest population density in the US, so the congestion here is as bad, if not worse, as anywhere else.) Simply have to put the testosterone in check and remember that it's not a race out there; no prize for getting to the red light or exit ramp first! Unless you consider lower MPG a prize! (lol)

BTW, I didn't say that I use "premium" grade, I just avoid the 'independant' brands. I have tried them (during the price spike last year) and it really affected my MPG.
    Also, driving 70-75 may be considered 'normal,' but it is not 'correct' (ie. legal) or even safe, and certainly not what the EPA numbers imply. Driving that fast and trying to get great gas mileage is against the law -- of physics, that is.

If you want to drive that fast, then don't waste your money on a hybrid, because you don't understand what it takes. As you parents may have told you: you cannot have your cake and eat it, too.
  • twrecktwreck Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 2008 last year, got around 45 mpg around town. No fast starts, staying around speed limit. Interstate speeds (75) with AC running dropped to about 41 mpg. Installed K&N air filter and synthetic oil blend and saw highway mpg increase to 50 mpg. Just had the fist cold snap and it's dropped to aroung 34 mpg. Is it the cold weather?
    Sorry, but it is legal on most of our Interstates in California to drive 70 mph. Most people drive 75 and 80. Of course 75 to 80 is looking for a ticket. CHP allows 5 mph over the speed limit, however should never go over that. If you're in a lot of stop and go traffic I don't know how you can possibly get above 40 mpg. I do not drive any car unrealisticly, speeding, driving in and out of traffic, racing, etc. as some of you infer. I try to keep the car at 70 mph on long trips. A lot of local driving is in 45 & 65 mph zones. If a car, I don't care if it's a Hybrid, can't be driven at the speed limit and get the recommended mileage, I'm not impressed with it, and the manufacturer's EMPG is a big lie. I have not had a traffic violation ticket in over 35 years. I do not intend to have to drive, (abnormally) a vehicle that doesn't live up to its claimed EPA MPG. If you want to drive like you're in a contest to see who can get the best MPG, then be my guest, but don't tell me how to drive in normal driving conditions.
    I've had more experience driving on all types of highways, in many different states, and countries in many different automobiles, and trucks, than most of you have had going to the bathroom. And oh, yes. Cold weather does affect the mileage of any vehicle.
  • pedwards17pedwards17 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Civic Hybrid and this is my second winter with the car. The mileage was fine last winter - hovered between 38 and 40 - and very good over the summer. Over the summer, however, I had the dealer "fix" the IMA computer due to a recall and now my winter mileage is down to 35. The recall dealt with the programming of the IMA computer in areas that can have cold winters - the charge of the IMA batteries was apparently not recording properly, so the electric motor would not kick on as designed. That's what the recall said, anyway. The end result is that my mileage has been bad this winter, and it's been a pretty mild winter so far. It's been cold the past few days (low of 10 F and high of 22 F), but overall, it's been mild.
  • jtischjtisch Member Posts: 9
    Running the heater shouldn't affect gas mileage but I suppose in cold weather the car would be set to run a little faster until it warms up. Not sure if these cars have automatic chokes. My car is kept in the garage.

But here is a tip I recently found about getting better gas mileage on these hybrids. Turn on the cruise control and don't turn it off. Use it every chance you get by setting it to the speed limit on the road you are driving, even in urban areas. Hit the set button every chance you get. Watch the assist go to work no matter what speed you are driving. Believe me, it works, and it will give you better than average mileage.

Currently my gas tank is down to a little under half full and when I checked the mileage on the dash last night I am averaging 50.2 in mostly non-highway driving. Prior to this trick, I was averaging 45 to 46.

I live in Florida and am anxious to see how this works in the hot weather because using the air conditioner does reduce mileage per gallon. In the hot weather I average around 41-44 because the AC runs constantly. Haven't noticed any change yet using the heater because I haven't run it in around 10 days when the last really cold spell came through (yes, it's gets pretty darn cold in Florida in the winder).
    jt
    That last word should read winter, not winder.
    jt
  • jazzjunkysuejazzjunkysue Member Posts: 2
    First day: 42!!! And, it was on hills and in the cold and with lots of slow, fast traffic I have to adjust to.

The merrit in Connecticut is what it is: I can't do the super efficient driving without getting shot.

I'm real happy with 42! My old 2002 regular civic was getting 34 or lower.

And, I LOVE IT!! :shades:
  • dan11809dan11809 Member Posts: 8
    Is it normal with a 2006 HCH to get 39 m.p.g. on the highway with rolling hills at 75 m.p.h.
    That depends on air temp and tire pressure. I have noticed that my fuel efficiency is highest when the engine is running at 1100 to 1500 rpm. At 75mph the transmission has shifted out as far as it will go, and the rpms were probably around 2200-2500 rpm at 75mph. Plus the fact that the wind resistance against the car climbs greatly above 55 mph. So in other words, the HCH is great around town, best at a cruse of 35/45mph and begin to suck at higher speeds and heavy loads/ extra passengers.
    Don't know if you saw one of my earlier posts but a trick I learned is to keep the cruise control ON at ALL TIMES. I use it every chance I get even in local driving. If I am on a road and the speed limit is 35 mph and it is pretty clear ahead, I hit the set or resume button. It does have a positive effect on gas mileage. My last fillup, Friday (and I check my mileage at every fillup) was 49 mpg for local driving, one of my best. Also, with a hybrid long trips do not necessarily mean better mileage. The most I could get on a trip on interstates is 50 mpg. But I always average 46 to 49 mpg local driving. That's without the AC on. With the AC constantly running I usually average in the 44-45 range. I also found I get much better mileage on the off-brand gasoline than I do on the name brand. I can't explain that.
    Jon
    I use that method except going up hills I take the cruise off.I f I don't the r.p.m.s go way up! Air pressure in tires is 44lbs. filled with nitrogen,air off windows up.Still 39 m.p.g. before it was 40-45.Something changed,I can't figure it out.
    I'm going to slow it down to the slow lane 68m.p.h. and see what happens and report back in a couple of weeks.
  • greenbookgreenbook Member Posts: 2
    Bought a used HCH 06 with 70K on it. Previous driver had logged avg of 29-30MPG and since I have learned the "tricks", I have improved the MPG, but still has not even touched 40avg MPG. Driving almost all highway, cruise control, very mild acceleration, watching the meters constantly, no A/C. On 550 miles, still hovers in the 30s. Does anyone know if mileage (70,000) affects MPG? In comparison with other "real world drivers", much less the marketed MPG, it's so low; it seems like something's wrong.
    Per my Honda Dealer, MPG should improve with more mileage.
    I suggest you take your car to a Honda Dealer and ask them to do a MPG Test.
    If HCH is only getting 29 to 30 MPG, something is wrong! If you're getting 37 mpg, that is, on average, what I get with combined city/highway. We now have 7,600 miles on our 2009 HCH, and were told by the Honda Dealer the more we drive it, the MPG should improve. Sticker advertised MPG's on new vehicles are very inaccurate, and there are fine print disclaimers.
    The HCH powertrain can be broken into two parts. Failure or inefficiency on either part can cause poor mileage. The electric motor gives the gas engine a boost when accelerating. Acceleration is what sucks the most fuel, so a boost from the electric motor helps reduce that fuel consumption. Also having the motor shut of at stops also helps unneccesary fuel consumption.
    So a problem with the electrical part of the powertrain can cause poor mileage.
    The gas engine is extreamly fuel effiecient on its own, but lacks power on acceleration, (thus the electrical boost). So when traveling at say 45mph, it is all gas and no electrical. To see if the problem is one or the other, I like to find a long stretch of level road, get the car up to speed, set the cruise,and reset the mpg display. If the readings are high, then there is a problem in the electrical drive system. It the reading is low, the problem is with the rest of the car: Tires,tire pressure, alignment,not using the proper weight oil, dirty fuel injector's,dirty mass air flow sensor, weak oxygen sensor, too much weight......
    I just added Seafoam fuel system cleaner to my 07 GMC Envoy with a 5.3 V8 and gained 3 mpg, so I am going to try it in my civic and see if i get any results. I currently get 50mpg spring and fall 40 during the coldest months and 47 during the hottest months with A/C.
  • greenbookgreenbook Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for this advice! Does it sound to you, then, that there really is a problem, either way? I am willing to check according to the test you mentioned, but the car was recently purchased and I feel the dealer should have not sold it at such low MPG performance.

re: "Tires,tire pressure, alignment,not using the proper weight oil, dirty fuel injector's,dirty mass air flow sensor, weak oxygen sensor, too much weight...... "
    - service tech people checked tire pressure and presumably everything else when I went in. We even did a drive together to make sure it was at its optimum.

If it's the powertrain, do you think its "fix"able?
  • highmpghighmpg Member Posts: 9
    I have been pouring thru the HCH06-07 Honda serv. manual -I found a clue to why my HCH06 may not get max mpg..especially with AC or fan on. I suspect the AC compressor electric drive (pulls power from the 158V Bat) is not working and it pulls power that should go to ASSIST white bars .. even when engine is running. --
    To see if this applies to your car ( around 39-41 MPG in most good weather conditions) then try this as a temp. test...Pull out fuse #22 near driver's foot...it is 7.5 or 10amp -- make sure it is #22 under dash fuse box.
    It is a fuse that disables the drive to the electric AC compr. circuit... regular AC still works fine and doesnt steal power now from the HV Bat. My mpg jumped to 50 mpg with AC on at moderate levels ----- 20% improvement! I am still investigating......
    I also agree with use of the cruise control for best MPGs ... the computer wants to control the car itself for optimizing power use... keep it on as much as you can.
    you are absolutely correct in your findings. The A/C compressor is split into two parts, The belt drive or mechanical for when the engine is running and the 158V for when at stops. Honda and all other hybrid manufactures had to go thru great length to insure comfort when the engine stops. and they all suck power from the battery pack that then must be recharge at the cost of fuel mileage. There is even a small electric water pump that keeps hot water circulating through the heater. The electric a/c unit is not very powerful, and will deplete the battery completly on 100 deg days on my commute home, so I do something like you do, I just roll down the windows until i get through the stops, or I kick the trans in neutral and let the engine keep running.
    If you really want to squeese out every drop at the inconvence of loosing speed, try running as much as possible on battery only. I have an 07, and this is what i have to do. On my commute, I travel a route that has has several long streches of road that have a slight downhill grade.With a 3/4 or more battery charge, I accelerate to about 5 mph over the speed limit, then slightly decelerate untill the mpg guage hits 100mpg and the recharge meter is showing about three bars green. Then ever so lightly press on the accelerator to no more than three bars white. If all conditions are right the mpg guage will stay on 100, and you are operating on battery only. The valves on the engine are being held open so there is no compression loss. Every time that is can get this to happen, i gain .1 mpg on the fuel mileage counter. The problem is, that the car cannot maintain the speed for long,and you end up having to accelerate back up to speed.If tou go over 4 bars white while in this state, you will feel a slight bump, as the engine takes over and you will see the mpg guage drop. It can me difficult to learn, but once you get it figured out you can easly add 1 or 2 mpg per tank full. When the cruse is on, it will somtimes try to run on battery only, but will usually apply too much throttle and will fall out of it within a second or two.
    I agree with you-- less AC means more MPG...my car however seems to also send pwr to the elect. AC when the gas engine is running as well... so less bat power to assist on hills etc. This situation may be software that is glitched...or electrical inefficiency / malfunction possibility. Quite a few people report a "drop" from good mpgs to the 39-40 range ... so I suspect it is a real issue with many cars.

I drive another HCH06 that avgs. 45+ - with AC on in similar driving situations..and it gives several ASSIST bars ... whereas the Older HCH06 is often actually charging up a hill and rarely can assist...even with the fan on lowest setting and ac temp higher than comfortable. With Elect AC disabled it is same or better than 45+ car.
    If it's the powertrain, do you think its "fix"able?
    That all depends on the dealer.And i would say that there is a problem somewhere, but getting them to fix it depends on how hard they want to try to make you happy. I know almost anything but the original tires can kill your mileage, I am hanging on to mine as long as possible, I also keep them slightly over-inflated, which is a risk i take( remember the ford explorer's and the exploding tire issues). I gained 3mpg after an alignment. And was told that anything other than the 0/5w oil or whatever it is, can cause a drop of 7 mpg.
    I dont know if you purchased from a Honda dealer, or just a used car lot, but if they have any reputation, the should try a little harder that air up the tires for you.
    edited April 2010
    Took your advice and called Honda,they replaced the battery and upper rear control arms! Thank you.
    Slowed down to 68 m.p.h. and mileage went back up to 45 m.p.g. Hope I don't get run over. :)
  • william1942william1942 Member Posts: 9
    I purchased a 2009 HCH last summer. At first I was getting 35 to 38 MPG. now I am down to 21 to 24.5MPG. I live in Philly and don't drive "hard". HELP!!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Time of year and the weather is certainly a factor
    I feel your pain. I purchased my 2009 HCH on April 01, 2009. Only got 40 mpg on a long 400 mile trip on all Interstate/Frwy. Last month we took the HCH into the dealer as the IMA Light and engine light came on. They indicated there was a service bulletin on the Electric Motor battery and the charging system. We were getting around 35 to 36 mpg both city and highway driving. The Honda dealer didn't indicate what the Service Bulletin fixed, but we are now getting 32 mpg both city and highway driving. It appears that the EM Battery does not hold a charge for very long. This leads to no electric motor assist on acceleration. I am calling them and reporting the problem. I had told the dealer that we were never getting the MPG we would expect from a Hybrid Car ever since we have owned it.
    We now have 16,000 miles on the car. Way past any so called break-in period, B.S.
    If Honda cannot fix the problem, I am selling the HCH, and going to a Hybrid Toyota Camry. I sacrificed the quiet comfort of our Camry for what I thought was going to be superior MPG. I am convinced that battery operated autos are a waste of auto engineering time. The auto industry needs to develop fuel cell technology for automobiles. No plug in, no batteries, no gasoline. The auto industry and it's Unions are still screwing the public.
  • inmyhumbleopinmyhumbleop Member Posts: 24
    My sister drives a Prius 2006. I drive it when I visit. She gets 45 mpg. I love her car. She has no issues at all. The A/C works like a dream - used it in Wash DC on a record hot August day - it cooled us down immediately, with no loss of "pep".
    The problem is HONDA! They want to offer a Hybrid because Toyota does but they don't have the know-how yet so their Hybrids stink.
    I agree. In my post #511, the Service Bulletin on my Honda 2009 HCH did nothing to improve gasoline mileage. If anything, it made it worse, as the EM Battery does not hold a charge for very long. This reduces the EM Assist when needed. We still get anywhere from 32 to 36 mpg combined city/hwy. Almost traded it in, but mileage, and pric is still better than a Camry Hybrid.
    Will put lumbar seat cushions in car for better comfort, and live with the small trunk space. Current Hybrid technology is overpriced, and not practical. Driving around in a hybrid carrying the heavy weignt of EM batteries is not efficient. The best technology is Fuel Cells. for both efficiency and "green"! The fuel is Hydrogen, and the exhaust is water.
    The fuel cell technology just has to get affordable. May not happen in my life time!
  • eddokeddok Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    I live in Southern California. I am the original owner of the car. I bought it in Aug 2009. I had a 92 4 runners, and decided to go green. At first I was a bit disappointed with the car, it wasn't quite getting the mpg as expected. My commute is relatively short, 3 mile one way to work. I was getting mid 30s street and high 30s fwy. And then the mileage dropped down to the high 20s to low 30s.

I went to the dealer for the initial service, and told the service guy about it. I didn't get a straight answer from the guy, and I wasn't too happy. A few months later IMA light came on, so I took the car to the dealer. They said that the battery was bad and need to be replaced. After the battery was replaced, it drives a better.

I was searching the net about the problem that I have and got mixed reviews. But there was a site that I found, I'll have to look for it again now. They describe how to get better mileage from a hybrid (I guess or any gas engine car) by changing the way I drive the car.

I have been practicing the driving techniques. And I have been getting better mileage on my civic hybrid, as high as 49 mpg on a 200 miles + hwy trip. But mostly I have been getting mid to high 40s. Even in summer with A/C on, the mpg doesn't suffer that much. I really think the driving technique is the key to get high mpg from these cars.

Slow accelerating (in most case, except at the fwy on ramp)
    More coasting and less braking (a lot of planning and practice on this one both on the streets and on the freeways)
    Keep the engine rev around 2500rpm or lower (I can mantain 2000prm going 65+mph on the freeway)
    Street speed between 30-45 mph, Hwy speed between 65-70mph are ideal. Just remember to accelerate slowly if you can and keep the engine rev low and constant.
    Plan your route, fewer stop and go, less up hills, etc.
    Practice and practice.
    I guess the EPA mpg is rated at ideal driving conditions (not much stop and go, slow accelerate, etc), in order to get it, you have to try to achieve those driving conditions.

To get higher mileage on the hybrid, or any car, we need to change our driving habits.

I also keep the tire pressure a bit higher than honda spec which is 32-34 psi. The factory tires are rated higher (45-50psi). I have been inflating my tires to 38-40psi. The higher the pressure in the tires, the less rolling resistance, the better mpg. But you have to check the pressure limit on your tires, and I wouldn't recommend using the high limit on the tire rating. As the tires get warm, the air inside expands causing the pressure to go higher.
    I finally sold my 2009 Honda Civic, which was only getting on average of about 35 mpg. I suspected something wrong with the Battery and Charging system.
    I traded it in for a fully loaded 2011 Camry Hybrid. It is much more comfortable and quiter than the cheaper small Civic Hybrid. The big difference was getting 37.5 mpg on the highway, and 35.6 driving around town.
    This is with the normal driving technique, not babying the car for better mileage. Toyota is far superior in fuel economy in its Hybrid design than Honda. Please note the new 2012 Toyota Camry, non hybrid, that just came out with a 43 mpg fuel economy.
    Honda is okay as a lower priced commuter vehicle, but it just doesn't compete with Toyota in overall fuel economy, and overall driving.
  • krisdefkrisdef Member Posts: 1
    frednjudik,

I am glad for you. I wish my finiancial was better so I could get rid off my 2008HCH. it is now under 37mpg and that still requires a lot of efforts. I used to get above 44mpg . Same driving techniques, same other factors...it's just that the car's mpg is decreasing...My friend has Prius 2007. I ask his mpg, he says the prius mpg almost stay the same and it is around 48mpg. I wish I bought the prius!
  • csgseattlecsgseattle Member Posts: 2
    2011 HCH Purchased Feb 2011 - mpg consistent 38 - 40 mpg until Sept 2011.

Then steady drops with each tank of gas reaching 29 mpg in Nov 2011.

Driving in Seattle, cold weather and heavy traffic for 4 miles of 12 mile one way commute - light traffic on return commute. Commute is 8 miles city/4 miles freeway. Use defroster only while car in warming up and turn off after 2 miles or so.

Took to dealer - found no issues - insists I am using wrong gas and that is responsible for 10 mpg drop . Have used same gas (Safeway) from the beginning until last tank when on advice of Dealer, filled up with Chevron. Great burst of mpg just after (50 mpg!), next AM drove .5 miles to intersection and stopped at red light - watch mpg drop from 41 t0 37 while idling at stoplight then continue dropping while in heavy traffic for four miles to 27! After traffic broke and freeway travel ended up at 32 mpg. So much for "premium" gas.

Dealer is not responsive - any advice on what to do from here? Besides trading in for a Prius which I am seriously considering depending on the financial hit I would take. HELP!
    Sounds like you have a problem with the EM Battery not keeping enough charge to engage the electric motor. My HCH Dealer put a service bulletin fix on my 2009, and it didn't improve anything. I was getting 33 mpg combined HWY & City. Only 29 mpg?, something is wrong!! I traded my 2009 HCH in for a new 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid. It gets 35 mpg combined, and 37.5 Hwy. We sacrificed comfort and quality for a few less MPG. We are retired. The HCH would make a great commuter vehicle at its advertised MPG, but we don't have to commute anymore.
    Again, Honda just doesn't compare to Toyota's Hybrid Technology. The Regional Honda Corp told me to take it to a dealer and have them do a fuel consumption test. They have to keep the vehicle for several days to do this testing. Most Honda Dealers just buzz you off regarding MPG issues on their Hybrids. I suggest you trade yours in for a Toyota Hybrid. Used cars are at a premium right now, especially Hybrid's. Searching the Internet is the best way I found in finding what you want. Visiting Dealers, while looking, is a waste of time. We drove 90 miles when we found our 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid on the Internet. It was at a Ford/Suburu Dealer & used with 1300 miles on it. It was exactly what we had been looking for in a new vehicle. This car was like new, but at used car price. We really were lucky, but it took looking on the Internet, a lot.
    Good Luck!
    It sound to me like you are hitting the reset button, and then watching average MPG display to get numbers like that (27 to 50). it means nothing until you have run enough fuel through it to get a good average. My 07 will read anywhere from 25 to 130 when i reset mine. And of course the numbers are going to drop when idling cold, you have no miles / gallons I found that i get an average of 45 MPG throughout the year, driving it like a car. I can push that figure higher by driving like an old man. 41 in winter 49 in the summer. I have both a Honda and a Toyota and would take the Honda over the Toyota and day. Better car, better dealer, less problems and recalls. Sure, the Toyota may have more technology,but it will someday cost you some day. Thank goodness for extended warranty's.
    For Mrwaug,
    How do you get 45 mpg on an 07 HCH? Did you not get the software upgrade? I get 30 mpg and I drive with fuel economy in mind! I no longer have low resistant tires, but still.

My original tires got chewed up at 32,000 miles due to some sort of suspension defect. I thought my car was going to fall apart, it was shaking so bad. Went to Les Shwab assuming I needed an alignment. They said tires were SHOT! They also couldn't align it properly due to this defect. Went to Honda who put in control arm fix (whatever that is). This was a KNOWN issue, they just didn't bother to fix it until asked. My replacement tires were not low resistance and I noticed a 2 mpg or so decrease. What I would really like an answer to is HOW I got my car serviced and tires rotated at Honda and NO ONE said a thing about the abnormal wear on my tires.
    Bottom line is since the software upgrade, shortly after my new tires, my mpg took another hit. The battery constantly recals - every 10 miles or so - and the auto stop hardly ever comes on. Honda just blames it on the tires.
    My sister loves her 2006 Prius and so do I when I drive it - 50 mpg no problem.
  • csgseattlecsgseattle Member Posts: 2
    Yes - I reset trip A for each tank of gas. In Feb under the same driving conditions I was getting 38-40 mpg, now I am getting 29-31 and I had never seen the mpg gauge drop while idling like the other day. A few tenths I can accept, but not 5 mpgs in 60 seconds! Nothing has changed except my mpg and Honda has no explanation.

Can anyone advise on how to escalate with Honda?
    Escalate to your Regional Honda Corp., tell them the problems with your MPG and the Dealer that appears to not have fixed anything. Other than that, sell it, and buy a Toyota, or try the Ford Fusion.
    I read about about the suspension up date on Edmunds and got that taken care of right away, I kept the original tires until the were bald (45k) and then bought Bridgestone LRR tires. I had the computer up date done last year. It did not change the actual fuel mileage, but the average fuel readout now reads about 3 mpg less than actual mileage. You did mention Cold day in Seattle, That will Kill your mileage. It may be a Hybrid, but it is still an internal combustion engine. The effects of temperature, humidity and altitude affect the efficiency. So any condition that creates and oxygen rich atmosphere will cause more fuel to be consumed, So living in Seattle you have three strikes, Cold, High Humidity and sea level. Most cars would not show much difference, but an high efficiency in most hybrid cars are greatly effected. Things like low tire pressure, anything other than 0-20 oil, sand bags in the trunk are going to effect fuel mileage.
  • mrb1959mrb1959 Member Posts: 1
    You wont get any joy from Honda.
    This is an issue and its gonna cost too much for Honda to fix.
    Those who opt-out of the Class Action suit may get some joy if Honda think the numbers are within there tolerance.

I have written to my congressman because this is more than individuals getting duped, this is about Americans believing in new fuel efficient technology and whether they are taking a "big" risk in wanting to go green.
    I for one wont buy a Honda "fuel efficient" vehicle again.
  • bionicman1bionicman1 Member Posts: 1
    I am sorry for your experience. I have just sold my 2008 HCH with a heavy heart - I loved this car, but I fell in love with another car ( which has much worse gas mileage ) and that was that.

The 2008 HCH was an incredible performer for me. Toward the end, with 72k miles on it, I could not have gotten bellow 39 had I tried. Most of the time I was getting from 41 to 45 in mixed and not particularly careful driving. One week, determined to wring every last drop of fuel from it, I got an amazing 57 mpg on a tankful of gas.

The 08 was incredibly reliable. Not one problem. Not one service visit for anything other than maintenance. It got wonderful gas mileage when I really applied myself to it. When I didn't, I got lower gas mileage, but never less than 39.

It's all in how you drive it. My new car is rated at 28 - 32 city/highway. I'm currently getting 37 mpg out of it, having been well trained by the HCH.
    It is a shame that you sound like a HONDA representative. My own gas mileage dropped from 35 city/ 40 Hwy down to 24City/28 Hwy over almost two years. I was repeatedly told that I just didn't know how to drive. I replaced my original tires at 33k miles to a much less recommended tire, got no reduction in gas mileage at all. (the dealer tried to tell me "That is the problem" until I showed him me records of mileage over the last two years (EXCEL Spreadsheet). He gave me some more crap until I started to get angry in the dealership and online. He had the audacity to complain that he didn't appreciate me telling him " I'm just blowing smoke up your butt". However after they actually did a thorough testing of the car's electrical system, they replaced the IMA battery and, so far it seems to be running better. I will report back after I have gone through a full tank of regular gas.

Bill
    I believe you couldn't get below 39 mpg even had you tried. I also believe pigs can fly.
    This is the message I sent back to the Honda Dealer today.

I got the IMA battery Cell replacement on 3/14-15. I just finished the first gas tank since and calculated that, with a 60 mile trip on I95 I still got less than 32mpg. I am very disappointed with the results I have experienced. My purchase of new tires was done in March and does not seem to show any change in mileage. I am not sure what to do now. Was the IMA battery changed or just a bad cell? At least the “AUTO STOP” is now working and the IMA battery charge stays near half charged 90% of the time.

What do you suggest?

Bill

26-Jan-12 33321 164 4.7070 34.84 Trip to Havre de Grace

17-Feb-12 33489 168 8.1160 20.70 Check Engine & IMA lights on &
    off sporadically

3-Mar-12 33693 204 7.9290 25.73 Check Engine & IMA lights on & off sporadically

Took car to Piazza Honda (33737) - Cost $194 upgraded Software "No more problems with IMA Light coming on" - IMA Light and Check engine light came on that afternoon. The next day the check engine light stayed on for our trip to the GYM.

16-Mar-12 33904 211 7.3270 28.80 Check Engine Light on constantly and IMA light on & off sporadically. Car to PIAZZA HONDA - New IMA battery 14-Mar-12

28-Mar-12 34155 251 7.9500 31.57