Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Audi A4 Lease Questions

Comments

• Options
    snoasissnoasis Member Posts: 5
    .00160 (apologies for the duplicate post)
  • Options
    snoasissnoasis Member Posts: 5
    a stupid question, really, but how does one negotiate the price? if MSRP is 35825, how do I get the dealer to bring it down to "as-little-as-possible-over-invoice"....?
    any recommendation is appreciated.....
    thanks
  • Options
    uthumveeuthumvee Member Posts: 28
    Thanks..
  • Options
    ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    why is everyone paying so much down up front......if you are going to lease, then learn about leasing.

As far as negotiating, don't even mention leasing.....just bargain for the car as a cash deal and with no trade....cash deal, no financing. Negotiate on $'s over invoice....not dollars off list. Invoice is invoice including shipping. For an A4, my local dealer will sell for $800 over invoice with no haggling. Of course then they add the "mandatory" administrative fee which is pure profit.....so once they mention that, I just lower the $ over invoice a bit....to pay about 1/2 the administrative fee. I figure about $1000 over invoice is OK...they have to make a profit. Then....deduct any marketing money, rebates, incentives off the agreed upon price. If the dealer says they already took that into account, start over because they didn't understand that you are a serious buyer and not a patsy.

Then start to talk about leasing....are ther any deals to lease because it is an option. you've already negotiated the price :) ask for the residual and the money factor. For example, audi quotes their residual based on 15K miles and if you're only want 10K miles, you add 3% to the residual. Ask if they offer a discount for multiple security deposits. If they don't know what they are or don't know, ask the finance manager. If neither knows what they are...walk out...you are dealing with financial jerks. Audi may not offer them, but they should know what they are.

Finally, tell them to run all the lease options...with NO MONEY DOWN!!!! you pay only first month's payment plus registration fees and any taxes REQUIRED BY LAW. Everything else gets rolled into the lease...that includes bank finance charges, administrative fee. They hate that because it makes your payments higher and they think you'll walk out.

What you care about...the only thing you should care about on a lease is the total cost of the lease over the entire lease. Add up all the payments, any money you do put down, any termination fees and then divide by the number of months. That's the real cost of the lease per month.

By the way...if you are trading something in for a lease, just have them write you a check for the trade in. It is NOT a downpayment. This will also shake them up....but it's part of the total cost. Dealers will always try to give you the lowest monthly payment...even if it isn't the best deal for you.

Why all this....no money down! If your car is stolen or totalled, the leasing company will cover any difference between what you've paid and what your insurance company pays and the total value of the car....gap insurance. But if you've put money down up front...then the amount you've paid INCLUDES that down payment....so there is no gap insurance and you just lose that money.

Long response....but I hope it helps.
  • Options
    rabidorabido Member Posts: 8
    Hi there

Looking to purchase or lease an A4 with 15k miles.
    Either an A4 Premium Plus or Prestige, 2009 or 2010.
    What kind of residual can I expect and is there a money factor rate I should expect? I saw a 0.0029915 but that seems high compared to some of the postings on this site.

I also have an Audi supplier discount so I get 6% off the car. Is it better to negotiate with that or use it at the last minute? I assume Audi funds the dealer that discount.

I also heard getting a higher trim car works against you on a lease as the residual depreciates faster.

Finally what is my penalty if I go for 18k mile lease? (at that point does it become better to buy?)
  • Options
    You really have to find out how the supplier discount is applied. For most manufacturers, it's a fixed discount off msrp or invoice....not a % off your negotiated price.

In leasing, the residual is a percent of the msrp of your car. If the residual is 50% and the base car MSRP is $30,000, then your residual will be $15,000. If you now add $5000 worth of options, the MSRP Is not $35,000 and your residual will be $17,500. In both cases, you will pay for 1/2 the cost of the car and options over the life of the lease.
  • Options
    koshka_begemotkoshka_begemot Member Posts: 9
    Can some please confirm?
    I was just quoted on a 15K/36 month 2010 Avant Premium:
    money factor - 0.00203 - it seems high
    residual - 53% - seems a bit low (but i don't think they can fuz with residuals, right?).
  • Options
    monkeyshiftmonkeyshift Member Posts: 87
    Carman, can you tell me the lease rates and residuals for a 2010 Audi A4 quattro premium plus? Thanks! :)
  • Options
    monkeyshiftmonkeyshift Member Posts: 87
    Actually on the '09's as well? thanks!
  • Options
    izmirianizmirian Member Posts: 49
    Love this response. Every one should read this before going to any dealer. :D
  • Options
    jim5penjim5pen Member Posts: 31
    Quite a few questions on here with very little answers over the last 3 weeks. Your insights and information is very helpful for those who are in the final stages of purchasing or leasing a new car.
  • Options
    izmirianizmirian Member Posts: 49
    I agree. Especially this weekend. Labor day specials are pretty good and sold my only car past week. I need to pull the trigger today or monday. I'm trying to decide between BMW 3 series and Audi A4 or maybe Q5.

Car man, could you please share the 2010 mf and residuals for 15K and 36 month options.

A4 Premium
    A4 Premium Plus
    A4 Premium Plus Quattro
    S4 Premium Plus Quattro
    Q5 Premium
    Q5 Premium Plus

I'm shopping today so any help is much appreciated.

:D
  • Options
    The audi dealers have almost no A4's left. For some reason, Audi has decided to hold the 2010's on the docks.My local dealer is trying to sell the remaining 09 6 cyl cars...and hasn't received a single premium plus car. One 2010 Avant and one 2010 A4 on his lot. Sad....

I don't think this is the weekend to make a deal on Audi's or maybe it is because the dealer has nothing to sell :)
  • Options
    babybeansbabybeans Member Posts: 12
    What should I expect to see for Residual & MF on this car for 36 month lease/15k miles? 2009 A4 Avant Premium with Bluetooth, Ipod Interface & Heated seats.

Does the $2500 Marketing Incentive apply to the Avant?

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    members78members78 Member Posts: 140
    hi ghstudio,

long time reader, first time poster. do you know when the 2010 a4's and a5's will be plentiful on the lots? and does your gut tell you there will be any good incentives in the near future?

i've been reading how audi has been selling really well sans incentives, and i doubt they would cut their profit margin just to sell more. but i havent been following them like you and it seems you might have more insight into this....? please advise!
  • Options
    Here is the deal in front of me from a local dealer, 2 others coming in tomorrow:
    2010 A4 Premium Plus
    MSRP: 41250
    Sell 39000
    Tax 2742
    Doc Fee, reg, elec plate, title 320
    Acq Fee 625
    Buy down 2495
    Ref sec dep 478
    1st mo payment 478
    Purch option 22,275
    Residual 54%

Appreciate all feedback. thanks
  • Options
    CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi danielle1102. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 A4 2.0L Premium Sedan with quattro and 12,000 miles per year are .00126 and 50%, respectively.

I'd be happy to give you my opinion on the deal that you were quoted, but it would be a big help if you would provide me with this car's MSRP and selling price first. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without these numbers, it is difficult to tell how large a dealer discount you are being given and in turn if there is likely any room left to negotiate.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Options
    No problem annaz1. AFS' residual values for leases with only 10,000 miles per year are 3% higher than its 15,000 mile per year resids.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Thanks Rich. I'm glad that you find the forums so helpful. Here's the info that you're looking for. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2009 Audi A4 2.0T Cabriolet with quattro and 15,000 miles per year are .00017 and 54%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00017 and 47%. If you were to lease this car with only 12,000 miles per year, its residual values would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Let's see if the money factor that the dealer quoted you is correct, buyingcars1. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 A4 2.0T Sedan Prestige with 15,000 miles per year are .00142 and 47%, respectively. A money factor of .00142 is equivalent to an interest rate of around 3.4%, so the factor that the dealer quoted you is way off.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi Jack. If I was interested in leasing an A4 right now, I personally would probably go with a 2010 model. It's lease program is just as attractive as, if not more attractive than, the current program that's available on the 2009 model.

Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 A4 2.0L Sedan Premium with quattro and 15,000 miles per year are .00142 and 53%, respectively. I doubt that you are going to be able to find a third party that can come close to this program.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi jim5pen. There's nothing wrong with being upfront with dealers and telling them that you plan on leasing two new vehicles, but I don't know how much of an additional discount you will be able to negotiate above and beyond what you would have been able to get by just being a savvy shopper as a result of this.

Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 A4 2.0L Sedan Premium with quattro and 12,000 miles per year are .00142 and 55%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2010 Q5 3.2L Premium are .00108 and 52%.

If you were to lease either of these vehicles with only 10,000 miles per year, their residual values would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hey koshka. Audi Financial Services' September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 A4 2.0L Avant Premium with 15,000 miles per year are .00188 and 53%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Here's the information that you're looking for, jim5pen. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 A4 2.0 Premium Plus with quattro and 10,000 miles per year are .00142 and 54%, respectively. Audi does offer 39 month leases, the program for a 39 month, 10k lease of this car would be .00162 and 52%.

It's difficult to say what Audi's October lease program will be like at this point.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Here you go, uthumvee. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 A4 2.0 Premium Plus Sedan with quattro and 12,000 miles per year are .00142 and 53%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    koshka_begemotkoshka_begemot Member Posts: 9
    Car_man,
    THANK YOU!!!!
    this helps sooooooooooooo much!!!
  • Options
    Here you go, monkeyshift. Audi financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 A4 2.0 Premium Plus Sedan with quattro and 15,000 miles per year are .00142 and 51%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 model are .00126 and 46%.

You never mentioned how long you want to lease for or what mileage allowance you need, so I had to make some assumptions. Let me know if you want something different.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi jim5pen. Audi Financial Services' September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 A4 2.0 Premium Sedan FWD with 15,000 miles per year are .00095 and 52%, respectively.

Here are the numbers for otherwise identical leases of the other trim levels that you mentioned:

2010 A4 2.0 Premium Plus FWD: .00095 and 50%
    2010 A4 2.0 Premium Plus Quattro: .00118 and 50%
    2010 S4 Premium Plus Quattro: .00187 and 53%
    2010 Q5 3.2 Premium: .00108 and 50%
    2010 Q5 3.2 Premium Plus: .00108 and 48%

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi babybeans. Here's the info that you're interested in. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 A4 Avant Premium with 15,000 miles per year are .00213 and 48%, respectively.

The dealer cash that Audi is currently providing on leftover A4 models is not compatible with the above lease program.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    You're very welcome, koshka. I'm glad that I was able to help you out.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Of course the stupidity of the Audi leasing rates for the 2010s is that they aren't releasing cars to their dealers. Incredible mismanagement of supply, in my opinion since there are now few 2009's around.

I'm waiting to see a 2010 A4 premium plus....dealer hasn't received any!

Just sent a note to audi on this very topic.
  • Options
    lefty4lefty4 Member Posts: 6
    Carman,

Can you help me out with the 24month 18k miles per year money factors and residuals on the 2010 Audi A4 2.0 Quattro in both premium plus and prestige configurations.

Thanks.
  • Options
    djl3djl3 Member Posts: 3
    I've been offered to lease an A4 2010 Premium Plus for $500 over invoice. $605/month with just the first month's payment at signing. Is this fair?
  • Options
    I should note that this is for 36 months, 15K miles. The money factor they quoted was .00412 and the residual they told me was 53%. Thanks again.
  • Options
    1)$500 over invoice on a 2010 is great.

2) 53% residual sounds right depending on the model and whether you are taking audicare.

3) .00412 money factor is WAY HIGH....that's over 10%. check back a few posts for the real audi rates.

Perhaps the money factor was a mistype....but some dealers realize that selling a customer a car at just $500 over invoice sounds great. Customers can identify with 53% residual...most cars are in that range after three years. But customers have no clue what a "money factor" is.....so they can quote anything and the customer doesn't understand so it doesn't blow the deal.

Hopefully, you did just mistype or wrote down the wrong number. If you gave us the right money factor, .00412, I suggest you find another dealer.
  • Options
    Oops, yikes. The money factor was .00142 - typo!
  • Options
    dvakadukedvakaduke Member Posts: 8
    Here are the details of the offer - thoughts?

2010 A4 2.0T Quattro Premium Plus with NAV

MSRP $40,850
    Mileage 12,000
    LEV % 53% (Would be 54% if we were at 10K miles per year)
    LEV $21,650.50
    Term 42 months
    Initial cap cost $38,451.00 - $400 over invoice in WA state
    Money Factor .00150 (for 42 months)
    Total payment $569.00
    Total Down $5,750

My target payment is $550 per month - is the money factor right, or are they marking that up a little to make something on the back end? Any idea what the pick up is for the .20 bps higher MF?

Would it be reasonable to accept these terms if they include Audi Care and the excess wear and tear protection?

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    A 36 mo lease with 53% residual and .0015 money factor should cost in the neighborhood of $593 with NO MONEY DOWN. I am assuming, for this that the dealer has an administrative fee of about $495 and there is an origination fee of $750...and that's included in my $593 number.

So, I don't understand how you are putting down $5750 and still paying $569.

Something isn't right here. you can get a close approx of your deal by taking $5000 of the $5750 (let's call the $750 your first months lease payment and registration) and dividing that $5000 extra payment by 36 months....which is $138 a month. That means that what they've quoted you is the equivalent of a no money down lease with a monthly payment of $569+$138=$707 a month.

What's wrong here?????
  • Options
    dvakadukedvakaduke Member Posts: 8
    sorry - couple of details:

it's 42 months, not 36 - looking for MF at 42 months

also, trade in owe ~29k getting 24k in trade...
  • Options
    Car Man,
    Here is the deal in front of me from a local dealer,
    2010 A4 Premium Plus
    MSRP: 41250

Sell 39000
    Tax 2742
    Doc Fee, reg, elec fee plate, title 320
    Acq Fee 625
    Buy down 2495
    Ref sec dep 478
    1st mo payment 478
    Purch option 22,275
    Residual 54%
    Appreciate your feedback. thanks
  • Options
    nickr1nickr1 Member Posts: 51
    I agree with you but many of the things you say to do will end up with one walking out on the deal. In NY, my experience with Audi dealers regarding the A4 is that they think the car sells itself at asking price. I was offered a 2010 A4 with premium, heated seats and bluetooth, that's it, they wanted $36,150, and offered no discount below that.

Then the lease deal, 36 months, 12,000 miles, minimum down, which was tax, registration and first month, total around $2,800 down, monthly payment $500. This sounded like a terrible deal to me, but the other two cars I'm looking at, the BMW 328xi and the Infiniti G37x are both higher.

But here's what I find to be difficult when it comes to a lease deal. I read about other's experiences with the exact same spec and everyone gets a different price, some wildly different. The only thing that says to me is either the dealer is not discounting the car, he's over charging, or he is fudging the lease numbers to build in a larger profit for himself. In other words, if the dealer isn't jacking the price, he's jacking the lease numbers, or both.

I knew I was in trouble when he said to me: "you can always lower your monthly if you pay more up front." When I hear that line, and I hear it a lot, I just want to walk away right then and there. Trying to get a good lease price makes me feel like I'm being conned, it never feels fair. Is it just Audi, BMW, and Infiniti and other "luxury" foreign dealers that act like this, or is it everyone?
  • Options
    nivshahnivshah Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at leasing a 2009 Audi A4 because of the lower sale price. The dealer I'm working with is offering a money factor of .00192, but on various sites I've seen .00106 as the money factor. However, the .00106 number comes from August, and I'm wondering if there's any chance this number has expired somehow.

Looking at - http://www.ridewithg.com/index.php/2009/08/09-audi-a3-a4-a6-a8-s4-s5-s6-s8-lease-rates-august-2009/

This is a solid $40 per monthly payment...

Rest of deal:
    36mo/15k
    29k sale price
    51% residual
  • Options
    nickr1nickr1 Member Posts: 51
    So, you wrote:

"What you care about...the only thing you should care about on a lease is the total cost of the lease over the entire lease. Add up all the payments, any money you do put down, any termination fees and then divide by the number of months. That's the real cost of the lease per month."

Correct, so why does everyone obsess over residual and money factor, which personally, I find changes constantly and is very confusing, thus helping the dealer, not you. What matters is what you pay over the course of a lease and it seems to be the one thing no one understands clearly and the one thing the dealer does not want you to think about. It should be a law that the total lease price for all new cars should be on the window sticker, full disclosure, up front, and if it changes, then retype the paper.

Sorry for being so militant, but hey, when you're right, you're right.
  • Options
    tkwolvtkwolv Member Posts: 1
    Audi A4 Quattro Prem Plus with Sports Package and Nav
    MSRP: $43,360
    Price paid: $41,000

36 month lease; 12K miles/year
    Money Factor: 0.0017 (I tried pushing for the 0.00142 rate, but they said that was only for tier A+, whereas I was tier A only)
    LEV: 53%

Monthly payment: $706

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    rlsrljrlsrlj Member Posts: 13
    Audi A4 Prem. plus, no nav. fwd It has light woodgrain, ipod dock and homelink with auto headlights (not sure if that is standard)
    Here is the quote:
    32,985-MSRP
    .00149 MF
    55%-residual
    36 months
    12000 annual miles
    with audicare (740.00)
    625.00 (added to cap. cost)
    Base monthly payment: 534.36

They didn't offer anything off the MSRP..

Thanks!
  • Options
    spano1spano1 Member Posts: 13
    I am not sure where you are located but in Southern Cali I am easily getting offers at invoice NOT MSRP. Call other dealers in your area - MSRP is not even close to the best deal you should be able to fine. Time have changed!!
  • Options
    rlsrljrlsrlj Member Posts: 13
    That's what I thought..they are the only dealer in the area..I am going to try in other cities. Another question...my fico is around 670-does this mean I will have to pay higher money factor?

Thanks!
  • Options
    jobuallijobualli Member Posts: 13
    Two questions for you all:

1) Are the October leasing numbers out yet for a 2010 A4 Quattro Premium and Premium Plus?

2) My current car is leased through the end of the year (Jan 2, 2010). Is it best to work out a deal sooner for a factory-build and have it delivered in time for my need (late Dec) or wait until later and work out a deal for an in-inventory or dealer trade (i.e., already build and in the States)? If the former, then about when should I begin negotiating terms for an order (how soon ahead of my current lease end)? How would that work then... will lease be locked in at current numbers or the numbers that are current when the car is actually built and delivered?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hello lefty4. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2010 A4 2.0 Sedan Premium Plus with quattro and 15,000 miles per year are .00142 and 58%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a Prestige model are .00142 and 54%.

15,000 miles per year is the highest mileage allowance that AFS publishes residual values for. If you need to drive more than that, you will have to purchase additional miles on a per-mile basis. It is less expensive to do so at lease signing than it is to wait until lease-end and have to pay an excess mileage penalty.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi boas13. I see that you are considering making a $2,500 capitalized cost reduction on this lease. I always advise consumers not to make cap cost reductions when leasing. Those who make them risk losing part or all of them if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. Even though it means that your monthly payment will be a little higher, you will be much safer going with a zero down lease.

Let's take a look at this car's selling price. The 2010 Audi A4 that you described probably has a spread of around $2,700 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. You were quoted a dealer discount of $2,250 on this car. That is an excellent deal.

Just make sure that the dealer calculates your monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor of .00142 and you're in business.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.