Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Lease Questions

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    For the 3.0 model?

3yr/45K lease.. 57% residual..
    money factor .0010

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mfinnerty003mfinnerty003 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks...Yes 3.0i...lookoing at the following:

2006 - 3 yr., 36000 mi lease

Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, Navigation, Auto, $52.9k MSRP

Dealer's first pass was $51.9k, 59% residual, .0014 money factor, $5k down (trade and/or cash)= ~$675 per month....I know I can do better with the money factor and base price...thoughts on this deal anyone?
    $52,900 MSRP
    $50,900 Selling price ($2K off.. an average deal)
    $51,525 Cap cost (selling price + $625 acq.fee)
    3yr/36K lease
    Residual 59%
    Base money factor .0010
    Payment = $647/mo.plus tax.
    Due at signing: 1st payment, security deposit, license/title fees. ($1600-$1700)

Never put $5K down on a lease... If you have trade equity, have them cut you a check for the balance..

Hope this helps,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• duncan66duncan66 Member Posts: 10
    why is it better to get a check if you have trade equity. Wouldn't it reduce your cap cost?

Also, regarding a security deposit, is paying a security deposit a trade off between a lower money factor (and thus lower monthly payments) and the risk that you'll never see the deposit again.
  • bodhi2bodhi2 Member Posts: 5
    I would like to lease a BMW X5 this year.
    I have a 1999 Volvo sedan that is fully paid for and would like to trade in and Lease a BMW X5.
    Any thoughts on how I should deal the trade in into the Lease values.

Thanks for any info

Bodhi24
    Putting extra money into a cap cost reduction is money that is at risk.. If your car were to be stolen or totaled in an accident early in the lease term, your insurance company will pay off the lease balance, but in most cases you would receive nothing back.. So, if you make a $5K cap cost reduction and totaled the vehicle within the first six months, it would make your cost per month very, very high.. The only money you save by making an additional cap cost reduction is the finance charges on that portion.. This is usually only $1-$2 per thousand per month..

As to the second question, I'm not sure what risk you are referring to.. regarding the security deposit.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx - thanks for the reply on the cap cost reduction. On the security deposit it seems as if some people believe putting one down will result in a greater likelihood of it being applied for "excess wear and tear" (i.e. somehow there'll be a reason for it not to be refunded - is that the reality in most cases or a cynical view - just curious)

I was quoted the following 3.0 X5 3YR/36K miles
    Residual 59%
    money factor - .012 ($500 security deposit)
    or factor of .00135 (no security deposit)
    Assignment fee $895

Do the factors seems reasonable?
    What is the assignment fee for - I was told that it was a BMW Finance charge that could not be waived - is that correct? Should I expect some fees to be charged no matter what to cover paperwork/termination or something else.
    Thanks in advance for any help/comments
    The residual is non-negotiable.. it is set by the bank (BMWFS)..

The base money factor is .0010.. w/security deposit.. The dealer is marking it up to .0012 for extra profit.. The maximum markup allowed by BMWFS is .0004, for a total of .0014..

The acquisition fee (aka bank fee or assignment fee) is $625.. I believe that BMWFS only allows them to mark it up $200 to $825. It's true.. this fee cannot be waived, except for an addition to the money factor of .0003... It is much better to pay it, or roll it into the lease payment..

There is a disposition fee at the end of lease.. but, that is waived, if you lease another BMW..

I leased a BMW just a couple of months ago.. Other than the $625 acquisition fee and the security deposit, my other charges came to $114 total.. That covered title/registration/license plates..etc.. So, it is definitely possible to do a lease deal without getting soaked with extras..

I've leased quite a few cars, and other than over-mileage charges, the largest "wear and tear" charges I've had is $70 for a cracked marker lens.. This included one car that had $9000 of body damage (repaired, naturally).. Every turn-in inspection I've had, has been more than fair.. I haven't seen any evidence that the security deposit has anything to do with it.. Most inspectors don't even know if you have one or not....

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Kyfdx -thanks for the help. A couple of more questions if I may

1. GAP Insurance - the dealer tells me the BMWFS covers that automatically - is that true? or will I need to pay a separate amount for that when I pick up the leased car.

2. Disposition fee - is that a standard amount or can the dealer mark that up? (I realize that it will be waived if I lease a new BMW again)

3. Assignment fee - the dealer tells me that a sales tax is due on this fee. I'm in Massachusetts and while this may vary from state to state, I was curious on whether it is typically taxed by states etc.

4. I signed a motor vehicle purchase contract detailing the terms of our agreement (i.e. trade in (I have positive equity) as well as monthly lease payments and amount due at signing of lease etc). I am curious if there are any other "tricks", last minute fees or other items that are brought up when the lease is signed that I should be aware of or prepared for so as to avoid any surprises - just curious.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    1) Correct.. included by BMWFS

2) $350.. the dealer isn't involved with this..

3) $625 is base fee.. BMWFS allows the dealer to mark up by $200... Typically, this is taxed..

4) If you have everything in writing, I would expect the deal to be exactly that.. If it isn't.. firmly insist on it.. Most BMW dealers don't play too many "last-minute" games.. They usually give you the bad news right up front.. ;)

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• exp48exp48 Member Posts: 2
    GOOD... AVERAGE... POOR DEAL ?
    I'M CONSIDERING ASSUMING A LEASE ON A 2004 X5 4.8
    LESSOR PURCHASED 10/04
    3YR/36,000 MI, $.20 OVER
    PURCHASE PRICE $71,307.
    PAYOFF $60,458.
    RESIDUAL $37,791.
    20 MOS. LEFT @ $1241.93
    19,000 MI, NEW TIRES, EXCELLENT COND., MOST OPTIONS
    LESSOR WIIL PAY 2 MOS. & I P/U SECURITY DEPOSIT $1350.
    WILL THIS AUTO BE WORTH $37,791. IN 20 MOS?
    Why not just buy the car for the payoff of $60,500?

60 payments at 5% interest would only be $1142/mo..

I'm assuming that if you are worried about it being worth the residual, that you intend to buy it, anyway?

If you buy it, you won't have to worry about mileage restrictions... only 17K miles left for 20 months.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• exp48exp48 Member Posts: 2
    WHAT I AM ATTEMPTING TO ACCOMPLISH IS TO GET A $70K++ AUTO
    FOR NO MONEY DOWN... EVEN GET $$( LESSOR PAYING DOWN 3 PAYMENTS). WHAT I'M NOT SURE OF IS THE VALUE OF $37,791. IN 20 MOS... IS THERE A FORMULA TO DETERMINE ?
    GETTING A LOAN FOR $60K WOULD RUN ABOUT $1172. BUT REQUIRE $6500. DOWN.. PLUS IF YOU DIVIDE OUT THE BAL OF THE THE LEASE PAYMENTS $19870.(LESS THE PAY DOWN) PLUS THE RESIDUAIL OF $37791 COMES OUT TO LESS THAN $60K....AND
    I WOULDN'T BE UPSIDE DOWN IN 20 MOS IF I WANTED TO SELL,
    NOT TO MENTION LAYING OUT $6500. & BEING MORE INDEBITED...
    I DON'T RUN MORE THAN 7TO800 MI PER MO.
    DO'T KNOW IF YOU RECED THIS REPLY B4, DON'T MEAN TO PESTER.
    BOB
    First... turn off the CAPS.. that is the message board equivalent of shouting, and makes it hard to read..

Now.. let me adjust my bi-focals... ;)

Okay... I see your point.. I don't know of any way to know for sure what the car will be worth in 20 months.. If you think you might want to ditch the car at that time, then by all means, assuming the lease has a lot less risk than buying the car...

Not sure who quoted you the loan payment... but, you should be able to get an $1150 payment on a loan with no money down... It sounds like they might be quoting a 9% APR loan...

This is still a lot of money.. even for a $70K MSRP vehicle.. You'll be making 17 payments net, after getting the security deposit back.. Even dividing that over 20 months is close to $1000/mo..

So.. not the deal of the century.. But, if you want a nice ride for a short time at $1K/mo., you could do worse..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• h2fanh2fan Member Posts: 27
    Does anyone have the February residuals and money factors for X5 3.0 model?
    Residual for 36mo/45K mile lease is 57%

Base money factor is .0010

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• willythewestiewillythewestie Member Posts: 6
    my lease on G35 is due 6/06. I want a X5. Should wait for deals in the spring time and summer? I know there's a new X5 for 07'. So there should be good lease deals? right? I prefer a 4.4 instead of the 3.0, what should I look for a month. I'm seeing 24 months leases now. Assuming nothing down but 1st month and MV fees, Bank fee and 15k. Thanks for your input!
  • brendan627brendan627 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have the February details for a 4.4i X5? Probably doing 10k miles for 36 months. Thanks.
  • andrews11andrews11 Member Posts: 3
    I am considering a lease on a 2006 X5 3.0. Historically I purchase them so leasing is new to me. Following are the details:

06 X5 3.0, black sapphire,cold, premium, rear climate, auto, heated steering, rear airbags, self dimming, xenon.
    MSRP (including dest) 50,905
    Now the deal:
    24 mos, 15k miles per year (upgraded from 10k), money factor .0015, residual 72%,i believe cap cost is msrp (if that makes sense).

I am told that this is a deal the dealership is subsidizing with BMWFS and that nobody can touch it. They want $2500 down (TTL), no sec deposit, and payments of $550.00 per month.

I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide. Also I am in no hurry. My guess is that SAV/SUV sales will continue to be soft resulting in more incentives. Anybody heard anything?
  • x5girlx5girl Member Posts: 1
    Andrews11,

Hello. May I ask what dealer (what state do you live) gave you those lease rates? I was recently quoted on a 36 mo. 12k mile per yr. lease a residual of 59%, money fact .00115 on a similar priced '06 X5. Does the $550 per mo. include tax?

Just curious about the differences.

Thanks!
  • andrews11andrews11 Member Posts: 3
    European Motor Cars in Des Moines, Iowa. It is my understanding that the $2500.00 does include tax.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi everyone. BMW is scheduled to publish its new March lease program late today. I should have an opportunity to take a look over within the next couple of days. I would appreciate it if those of you who still have questions about leasing one post a note for me in this discussion later on this week. I'll be happy to answer any questions that you have on the new program then. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • savvym3savvym3 Member Posts: 10
    Hi Car_man,
    I am currently shopping around for lease deals on a 3.0 X5. I've heard from one dealer that the money factor is staying the same at .001, but I'm not certain. Any news on the new BMW programs for March? I'm interested in either a 36 or 24 month lease with 12K/yr. I'm also curious if 3% over invoice is a negotiable purchase price for this vehicle, or should I be able to get closer to dealer invoice? My best deal found in Feb was a little more than 3% over the invoice, ~49K. Thanks.
    Hi savvym3. The dealer that you spoke with was correct. BMW Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor for the '06 X5 is still .00100 in March. Three percent over dealer invoice sounds like a reasonable price for this truck to me, but I am not personally all that familiar with what the market is like for the X5 in your area right now. You may be able to get a better idea of how much you should pay by visiting the following discussion: "BMW X5: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Car_man
    Host
  • bu96bu96 Member Posts: 19
    I am in a bad leasing situation. My BMW530 lease expires at the end of next month. I have decided I want an X5 but I would really prefer getting the newly designed version as I think the features/design on the current one are dated.

The problem is BMW won't extend my lease unless I have a purchase order for the X5. I have been told the new ones won't be ready until September. My dealership told me that the best they could do is offer $2200 off invoice when they come out. I am looking at a highly loaded 3.0i. My salesman told me that their profit for this is car is typically $3800 and they usually don't discount when new models roll out.

Is this a really bad offer to take? I am really new to leasing so I am not sure how much of risk I am setting myself up for getting a really bad deal. I can afford whatever the end payment so that isn't my concern, just not getting completely taken.

Thanks so much in advance for any help.

Anne
  • gr8nrggr8nrg Member Posts: 19
    Just had a detailed quote on 2006 X5 sent to me. The lease is for 36 months 12k/year miles on 3.0i BASE silver metallic with no other options (as requested)

PRICE WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION: 44,470
    SELLING PRICE: 42,150
    MONEY FACTOR: 1.15
    RESIDUAL FACTOR: 59%
    MONEY DOWN: 0
    MONTHLY PAYMENT: 520.66 + tax = $563
    License: 343
    Bank Fee: 625
    Documentation fee: 45
    Security Deposit: 0
    First Payment: 563

#1. What is the bank fee and documentation fee and why do I have to pay them?

#2. Why is money factor 1.15 and not 1.1. Are they trying to rip me off and if so, how do I tell them to drop it to 1.1?

#3.Is this a good, decent or average deal?
  • chchoichchoi Member Posts: 40
    I have a 05 X5 3.0 lease. My term is 36 months. I still have 24 more months. Balance on BMWFS is 45000. Trade in to dealer is only 39000. What is the best solution to end my lease?
  • toasttoast Member Posts: 50
    Try Leasetrader.com their business is dealing with situations like yours. I have checked out their listings and have found quite a few good deals for potential buyers. You can also give potential buyers an incentive to take the lease off your hands by offering $1,000 or $2,000 which would reduce someone's payment by $40 to $80 a month.

What are your payments and were are you located? I may be interested.
  • gr8nrggr8nrg Member Posts: 19
    Could anyone please comment on my lease quote 3 messages above and answer my questions please? Thank you.
  • bemerfanbemerfan Member Posts: 1
    I currently lease a 04 4.4 and i love this SAV it is far better than any of the others offerings nn the market it feels great and easy to own during the warranty period. I owned the last one a 01 3.0 great as well but after warranty goes it can be a bit costly to own. But noting feels better I have a MB SL and I actually like my X5 better. Good luck great lease and great SAV...
  • alexanderv2alexanderv2 Member Posts: 13
    Hello Car_man,

Based on my reading of the posts in this discussion, the base money factor for March is 0.0010.

However, a lease broker with whom I am shopping says that the money factor is 0.00115. He claims that the 0.0010 is only available for repeat customers(BMWFS loyalty program).
    (Dealers are trying to get me at 0.0014, and I already read the warning about that in the previous postings.)

What is the actual money factor? Is it just a matter of standing firm in order to get the rates discussed in this forum.

Thanks...AlexanderV2
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    However, a lease broker with whom I am shopping says that the money factor is 0.00115.

Brokers don't work for free.... He's looking for his cut.
    It is obvious that they try to make money both on the selling price of the car as well as the money factor. Those items are both negotiable, and the buyer should beware.(as the old saying goes) Ultimately, even if you get both of those negotiable numbers down to a profit of zero for the broker/or dealer, there is still a sales commission that would otherwise have gone to the saleman who is standing around on the dealer's lot. Just as is done on loss-leaders, where they still have to pay the saleman.

My question still stands. What is the base money factor for march. Is it truly 0.0010 as this discussion threat contends, and is it available for non-repeat customer(non loyalty program).

Your note implies the broker is lying. This goes without saying, especially when his lips are moving, but what is the real money factor.

I thank you in advance for you input.

AlexanderV2
    Your broker is correct.. The base money factor is .0010 for customers that are either returning BMWFS customers or make a security deposit.

The bump for not making the security deposit is .00015, resulting in your quote of .00115...

So, you can get the same rate.... just make a security deposit..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks kyfdx,

I will confront the broker with this information. As I recall, I specifically asked him to structure a deal where I have zero down, and minimal drive-off. Therefore, he may have quoted me a number with no security deposit. I will verify this.

Can you give me an idea of what a fair discounted selling price would be on a X5 3.0 with an MSRP of 51K.

I thank you in advance for you assistance.

Thanks...AlexanderV2
    For selling price questions, post here: BMW X5: Prices Paid & Buying Experience

Off the top of my head, I think you should be looking for a discount of $2500-$3500 from MSRP..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tuthilltuthill Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know the money factor for a new lease on a 4.4?
    Thanks kyfdx! I will post the selling price question in that forum.

Can you tell what the lease payment would be on a 2006 X5 3.0, 36 months/36,000 miles. I plan to pay a security deposit of $625. MSRP of $51,000. Selling price of $47,500. Money factor of 0.0010(with security deposit)

If possible, please include details of how this number is calculated.

Thanks...AlexanderV2
  • bornoborno Member Posts: 77
    what is the lowest possible payment seen on either 4.4, and/or 3.0 models, low miles , with no/$ down, anywhere new england??
  • tuthilltuthill Member Posts: 2
    - Cold Weather Package
    - Premium Package
    - Rear Climate Package
    - Sport Package
    - Adjustable Ride Height
    - Heated Steering Wheel
    - Heated Rear Seats
    - Navigation System
    - Premium hi-fi System

Cap Cost = $61745.00
    Residual = $36762.15
    Money Factor = .0014

I'm in New England and this is the quote I've received. Does this seem to be in line or should I push for a lower Money Factor?
  • bu96bu96 Member Posts: 19
    I orginally posted this a few wks ago and still hoping for a response...Thanks!

I am in a bad leasing situation. My BMW530 lease expires at the end of next month. I have decided I want an X5 but I would really prefer getting the newly designed version as I think the features/design on the current one are dated.

The problem is BMW won't extend my lease unless I have a purchase order for the X5. I have been told the new ones won't be ready until September. My dealership told me that the best they could do is offer $2200 off invoice when they come out. I am looking at a highly loaded 3.0i. My salesman told me that their profit for this is car is typically $3800 and they usually don't discount when new models roll out.

Is this a really bad offer to take? I am really new to leasing so I am not sure how much of risk I am setting myself up for getting a really bad deal. I can afford whatever the end payment so that isn't my concern, just not getting completely taken.

Thanks so much in advance for any help.

Anne
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    That kind of discount on a brand new redesigned model six months before it comes out sounds like a deal....
  • hipreckhipreck Member Posts: 67
    Anne -

You don't say if you are leasing the new X5 or not. Leasing a brand new design can be very expensive since money factors are usually high.

My info is the 2007 X5 will not be available until late fall. The new X5 will also be bigger and heavier, I'd want to drive it first. I actually really like my 2004 X5.

Dave
    Hi gr8nrg. All banks that lease vehicles charge consumers a bank fee (also known as an acquisition fee). BMW Financial Services' base acquisition fee is currently $625. This money goes directly to BMW FS and your dealer does not profit from it or have tha ability to waive it. Well, technically they can waive it in exchange for an increase of .00035 in the money factor that is used to calculate your truck's lease payment, but you are better off just paying the fee.

The doc fee is just a charge that dealers add to vehicles' prices to cover the cost of doing the paperwork and often to add a little profit to deals. A doc fee of only $45 is very reasonable. Most dealers add doc fees of several hundred dollars to every deal.

BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor for a 36 month lease of a 2006 X5 is .00100. The reason why your truck's factor is higher is because you are having your security deposit waived. BMW FS charges a security deposit that is equivalent to vehicles' monthly payments rounded up to the nearest $50 increment on every vehicle that it leases. Consumers can opt to have this deposit waived in exchange for a .00015 increase in their vehicle's money factor. That is what is happening with your lease.

A base 2006 BMW X5 3.0 has a spread of a little over $3,600 between its full MSRP and dealer invoice prices. You were quoted a discount of a little over $2,300 on this truck. Tis probably amounts to between $1,000 and $1,500 over dealer invoice, which isn't bad. For additional feedback on how much you should pay for this truck, make sure to stop by the following discussion: "BMW X5: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Car_man
    Host
    Hello tuthill. If you were to lease a 2006 BMW X5 4.4 through BMW Financial Services right now for up to 42 months, its buy rate lease money factor should be .00100 with the payment of a security deposit equivalent to your truck's monthly payment rounded up to the nearest $50 increment and .00115 without the security deposit.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi tuthill. The money factor that you were quoted is definitely too high. BMW FS' current buy rate money factor for this truck is .00100 with the payment of a security deposit and .00115 without one. Make sure to insist that the dealer you are working with use these factors to calculate your truck's lease payment.

Car_man
    Host
  • frank310frank310 Member Posts: 47
    Carman,

Can you help me by filling in the blanks at the bottom. Thanks in advance for the help. This will be the 3rd car you have helped me with.

2006 X5 3.0
    Premium Package
    Automatic
    Cold Weather package
    Park Distance
    Rear Climate Package
    Rear Door Mounted Airbags
    Heated Steering Wheel
    36 Month Lease 12k miles per year
    MSRP: $50,455 (based on Edmunds)
    Money Rate: .001 (based on this forum)
    Sell Price:
    Residual:

Thanks,
    Frank
  • pguopguo Member Posts: 2
    Just least a X5 4.4i with the following options,

Cold wether $1350
    comfort seat $1200
    rear climate $400
    rear door air bag $385
    heated steering wheel $150
    Panarama Moonroof $1320

For a total of $58530, I got $706 a month with 12K/year.

My money factor is 0.0014 and down payment is $1650.

I think it is good deal, any inputs?
  • hipreckhipreck Member Posts: 67
    What was your MSRP and how many months in the lease term?
  • pguopguo Member Posts: 2
    36 months $58530 is the MSRP
This discussion has been closed.