Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Lease Questions

Comments

• eddie_cheneddie_chen Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2012
    In NYC, got this lease for a 2013 X5 35i Premium with Convenience and Cold Weather Package, running boards, 36 months 36K miles:

Purchase Price: 58,310
    Sales Tax: 2,626
    Acq Fee: 725
    Total Capitalized Cost: 61,662
    Residual Value: 36,223
    Money Factor: Unknown - not stated on lease agreement
    Zero Money Down
    Due at signing (1st month + DMV fees): 1,294

Monthly Lease Payment: $847

Thoughts on this lease?
  • snow26snow26 Member Posts: 24
    What is the Drive for team USA $1000 rebate and how do you qualify?

Also, what is the BMW Ultimate Drive App rebate for $500 and how do you qualify?

Thanks
  • snow26snow26 Member Posts: 24
    Are there better incentives on a 2012 vs 2013 X5? Factory to dealer cash?

Thanks.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    We recently signed a deal on a custom order X5D that we are paying cash for and picking up at the Performance Delivery Center. So I can't comment on your lease deal, as we never considered a lease vs. purchase. However, just curious as to your option choices. We found the $1,500 premium sound to be not that much better sound quality than the standard (good) system and with BMW Apps, son't see any value in having Sirius subscription. (Been there, done that with 2 Acura's and a Porsche). Also, we didn't see much value in the Cold Weather package inasmuch as heated front seats are already standard and the ski bag would be useless for us. We live in DC area, but have second home in snow country and still didn't think that rear seat heating was worth getting the CWP.

On other hand, we ordered the sport activity package for the more comfortable sport seats, sport steering wheel and (subjective) better looking 19" wheels. The sport seats alone are worth it to me.

Are you taking a vehicle off the lot, or ordering to your specs and, if the latter, what made you pick the options you chose.
  • newbmwx5newbmwx5 Member Posts: 1
    i am planning buy x5 sport activity :
    jet back
    black nevada leahter
    dark bambo wood trim
    convenience package
    multi - countour seats
    running board
    destination and handing
    total MSRP : $63295 dearler offer me $58000 ? sound good deal to me ?
  • abmwfanabmwfan Member Posts: 47
    edited August 2012
    The person you replied to is considering a lease, which means the cost of satellite and premium sound only add a few dollars per month to the lease.

The premium sound didn't sound much better to you because you were listening to default settings. Premium sound is noticeably better if you take the time to understand the system and set it up properly. The no-cost multi-contour seat option with the sport package is a better seating option than the sport seats when your priority is comfort.

The down side to ordering a base vehicle without things like satellite radio and the heated steering wheel that comes with cold-weather package is that it makes the vehicle less desirable and therefore less valuable if you ever trade it in. Especially in the DC area, which has a very competitive luxury vehicle market where people expect a luxury SUV to actually have luxury features.
  • abmwfanabmwfan Member Posts: 47
    A simple Google search or a look at bmwusa.com website under "Experience" will answer your question.
    edited August 2012
    I'm not sure how adding $2,250 to the capital cost with premium sound and cold weather packages only adds a "few" dollars to the monthly lease. And, unless I'm mistaken, the multi-contour seats in the x5D are not a no-cost option, but something like $900. Which we tried out and did not like any more than the firmer, side bolster adjustable sport seats. Others may think the incremental $900 is worth it.

As far as your comment on "luxury" expectations, I agree with you to a certain extent. But.....we chose to spend an extra $10-12k over a 2012 MDX "Advance" precisely because of the way the X5D drives and handles. If you want every luxury do-dad, the MDX and Audi Q7 kill the X5, with adaptive cruise control, lane change warning, accident mitigation braking, much better navigation, better sound systems, etc. You can check every box you want on a BMW X5 and you still won't have the latest and greatest luxury or technological features. As such, we decided to check boxes that were important to us, period. And if premium sound is really worth $1,500 to someone else, great. But it's an expensive box that even almost every dealer admitted they wouldn't check, if ordering for themselves. Especially with Apple i-phone connectivity putting a big dent in the value of satellite radio.

FWIW, I sold my 2005 911S last spring that had $13,000 worth of options. I had bought the car off the lot at a $12k discount that made up for some options that I thought were frivolous. Upon resale through a high end independent Porsche shop, the $1,500 upgraded Bose system was worth exactly $0. Navigation and the performance oriented options were probably worth half of what they cost. The next time around, I'll order to my exact specs, get a 5-6% discount off MSRP, and save at least a similar amount by avoiding the boxes that aren't really worth anything to me (or 99% of 2nd owners).
  • gerry70gerry70 Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2012
    Looking for MF and Residual for August, 36 months and 10k/year. Been quoted 0.00165 and 60%, although others reporting 0.00145 and 57%. Ordered but not signed papers. PCD tentatively mid-September.

Thanks,
    Gerry
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi 4tune. BMW FS' August buy rate lease money factor for a 36-month lease of this vehicle is .00145. Make sure that the dealer uses that factor, not 165 to calculate your payment.

Having said that, the selling price that you were quoted, invoice minus all of the available incentives, looks outstanding.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi snow26. I believe that Drive for Team USA is a BMW-sponsored test drive event. Consumers who are invited to it are able to get an additional cash incentive.

The BMW Ultimate Drive App is a smart phone App that one can download. Consumers who schedule a test drive through it are eligible for an additional cash incentive off of a new BMW.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi snow26. Other than the $750 owner loyalty cash that is available on both, there really is not any cash incentives on either the 2012 or 2013 X5 right now.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Gerry. The .00145 money factor that you have seen mentioned here is indeed correct. If your credit is in good shape, the dealer that quoted you the .00165 factor is marking your rate up to add additional back-end profit to your deal.

Car_man
    Host
  • 4tune4tune Member Posts: 55
    Thanks Car_man, the dealer is not going down on the MF of 0.00165, can you please tell me the 2013 BMW X5 residual on a 36 month 10k and 12k lease. Thanks.
    Car_Man,

Thanks for the info regarding MF. Knowing that, I'm better prepared to negotiate my lease payment.

I'm still fighting their contention that I can't combine the USAA member $1000 discount with the BMW Drive for USA $1000 credit, the BMW Loyalty $750 credit and the BMW Ultimate Drive $500 toward first lease payment. Am I asking too much of them??
    Hi gerry70, all the incentives you are trying to get are stackable. Meaning you can combine them all. None of them are mutually exclusive. Don't let the dealer tell you otherwise. I checked all the rules on each of them and none of them say that they cant be combined. Hope this helps.
    Are you sure about that? I was told that the drive event $1,000 could be applied on top of the others, but that one could EITHER get a USAA or a BMW Loyalty discount, but not both of those. We were working with a sales manager that had a direct line to a BMW financial services "insider" and was able to let us know 2 weeks in advance that the $4,500 eco-credit was going to be extended past the original July 9 expiration date, so I'd be surprised if he was wrong about this either/or question.
  • bmwgal3bmwgal3 Member Posts: 15
    4tune, this looks like a better deal than I have found. Please tell
    me where you got a deal at $500 over invoice, before the rebates. The lowest I can find in Northern California is $1000 over invoice..
  • nd_irishnd_irish Member Posts: 33
    Hi Car_man,

I would like to know what the August 2012 money factor and residual would be for a 2013 BMW X5 50i lease with 36 months and 12,000 miles per year. Thanks, again!
  • sillycat1sillycat1 Member Posts: 3
    Dear Car_Man

Can you please look at the following deal and see if it reasonable:

2012 x5d with premium and cold weather package (nothing else added).
    MSRP $61845
    Selling $58250
    Loyalty $750
    Eco credit $4500
    MF 0.00145
    Residual 57% for 10K and 36months
    No down payment
    Due at pick $835 (includes delivery, doc, first month payment)
    Monthly payments 680$ including about 30$ WV tax.

Does this sound like a good deal?
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    Hi Car_Man,

Interested in getting 12k and 15k miles residuals for the X5... Any difference between the base/premium/SAV trims? I assume the buy rate MF is still 0.00145 for August?

Thanks for your help!
    No problem 4tune. BMW Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 X5 xDrive35i Premium with 12,000 miles per year are .00145 and 59%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The residual for an otherwise identical lease with 10,000 miles per year would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi nd_irish. BMW Financial Services' August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 X5 50i with 12,000 miles per year are .00145 and 61%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • nd_irishnd_irish Member Posts: 33
    Thanks, again, Car_man!
  • sillycat6sillycat6 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car_Man

Can you please look at the following deal and see if it is reasonable:

2012 x5d with premium and cold weather package.
    MSRP $61845
    Selling $58250
    Loyalty $750
    Eco credit $4500
    MF 0.00145
    Residual 57% for 10K and 36months
    No down payment
    Due at pick $835 (includes delivery, doc, first month payment)
    Monthly payments 669$ including sales tax.

Does this sound like a good deal?
    Hi Car_man, thank you for that information. I have posted on this forum a couple of times and thanks to your information I was able to agree on a great deal on a BMW X5 premium. However, I was checking in with the dealership this week to set up a time to go in to sign papers and the dealership went back on the deal. The sales manager said that the client advisor had made a mistake and the deal is no longer on the table. I had done a credit app but have not signed any papers. Because they have done this I will be walking away from the deal. Just wanted to make sure I am not liable. Please advise. Thanks.
    How could you be liable for THEIR mistake, even if you signed papers?

If anything, you could claim damages against them if you lost another deal, due to their mistake, but it's probably not worth taking legal action.

FWIW, the sales manager at a BMW dealership in Baltimore went out of his way to call me on my office and cell phone when he realized that I as not a previous BMW customer and they made a mistake on a quote. He offered that if I still wanted tl drive 50 miles and look at the car, he'd pick up dinner for my family, no obligation to buy.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Where in Baltimore?

I leased a car in Silver Spring last September.. flew in and drove it home.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

BMW of Towson.

We ended up ordering from Silver Spring as they were.the only Maryland dealer that could still order a 2012 X5d to our specs. Picking it up at the performance delivery center Sept 5.
    You're welcome again nd_irish :).

Car_man
    Host
    Hi sillycat6. The money factor and cash incentives that you mentioned look great. As far as this truck's selling price goes, there is a spread of around $4,750 or so between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. That puts you at around $1,100 or so over invoice, which isn't bad. You might be able to shave a couple hundred dollars off by comparison shopping if you are in an area that has a decent level of competition, but again this is a reasonable deal. At least they aren't trying to mark the money factor up on you.

Car_man
    Host
    Wow that stinks 4tune. Sorry to hear about that. That's not a great way to do business. As long as you haven't physically taken delivery of your vehicle, don't worry about it. Besides it was the dealer who is trying to change the terms, not you. Find a different dealer to work with.

Car_man
    Host
    Thank you Car_man!

I ordered the x5d.

The dealership is about 80miles from where and I live and believe or not, it is the closest. Comforting to know your feedback. The dealership has awesome service though. On my current 535xi, they picked and dropped my car on couple of occasions from home to accomodate my busy schedule.
    4tune,
    Did your deal falling through have anything to do with the multiple credits?

I've received notice my PCD date is September 13, but haven't signed the papers. I'm told I qualify for the BMW Drive for USA $1000, the Loyalty credit of $750 and the $500 for taking a test drive, but I'm still being told I can't add the USAA $1000 member discount. Nothing in any of the literature tells me I can't do them all, but they won't budge. Paying $30 less per month may not be a "deal breaker", but it would be nice.
    We didn't qualify for either, but when we were cutting our deal on an X5D, we were told the USAA and Loyalty discount were mutually exclusive. However, they also said if we had qualified for both, we could take the higher of the two. So you should at least tell them forget the $750 Loyalty and take the $1,000 USAA.

I handed over my check last night, picked up our plates and paperwork and my wife booked our flights to Spartanburg for next week. Looking forward to picking up our X5D at the Performance Delivery Center.
    Hi gerry70, as far as I know the USAA discount is stackable and can be used in addition to the loyalty and the Drive for USA cash. This information comes from USAA directly. Log on to their website and search their directory for a USAA certified dealer in your area and they will accept it as a stackable discount. Hope this helps. My deal didn't fall through because of that. The sales manager changed at the dealership and he decided not to honor any deals offered by the earlier guy.
  • lexuskinglexusking Member Posts: 11
    Sillycat6,

Where did you find this deal, since this is not a bad deal, compared to what I have?
    edited September 2012
    We got a purchase deal that is roughly equivalent to sillycat's lease deal at BMW of Silver Spring: MSRP 63,845 (premium, SAV, running boards, BMW apps). Sales price of $54,799 that included $3,765 dealer discount, $4,500 eco credit, $1,000 drive for USA coupon, add $199 dealer processing fee.

Not sure what the lease deal would have looked like, but at least starting with roughly the same sales price discounts. I know they had at least a couple for 2012 X5d build slots as of last week.
  • lexuskinglexusking Member Posts: 11
    edited September 2012
    Happy Labor Day Folks,

I have been looking for X5 D and here are the specs

Sand Beige 'Nevada' Leather
    Dark Burl Walnut wood trim
    Cold Weather Package
    Technology Package
    Premium Package
    18" Light alloy Star-spoke wheels style 209-with all-season run-flat tires
    Destination & Handling included
    MSRP : $63,545

I am being offered a deal (everything bundled/inclusive... with following details.

Down Payment $4097.63 ( This covers MD tax of 6%, tags, Title and processing fees)
    Monthly payment $675.00
    36 month Lease
    12 K miles each year

Dear moderator (Car_man: Please advise, if this is good Leas deal? (I am new to this forum, however your advise is appreciated)

regards,
    Again, can't help you with the lease payment itself, but what is the net sales price they are using to get to that down payment / monthly payment? Hopefully, you are getting at least a $3,500 dealer discount on top of the $4,500 eco-credit and any other specific discounts you qualify for (i.e. drive event, loyalty, etc).

Also, what dealership, if I might ask? I shopped just about every dealer within 250 miles of DC. The local ones have a wide range of reputation for post purchase service - from pretty good to downright crappy - as you are probably aware. I checked their stock online and then called if they had something close. My wife and I test drove 3-4 different cars each to make sure we knew what options we wanted - and didn't. I found the technology package a little lacking, at least for $1,700. Most of what you are getting is the heads up display. I would have thought they would have thrown in adaptive cruise control, collision mitigation and/or blind spot warning system (all of which are available on the MDX). So we decided not to check that box, but did take the sport activity package for the sport seats, steering wheel, shadowline trim and and 19" wheels/tire package. At the point we decided to go with the sport package, we also decided to custom order, since most diesels on the lots didn't have it or had a bunch of other options and bad color choices.
  • pdksobepdksobe Member Posts: 2
    I am shopping at IG Burton in DE at the beach presently, purchased a 335 two years ago, am happy w/ service, and trying to decide between leasing a X3 and X5. Easy 2:15 drive from DC / Arlington.

I'm planning to use USAA, loyalty, and drive team discounts.

Could anyone please point me to the current residual value and MF for X3 28i/35i and X5d? Leaning towards X3 28i, but am new to leasing and trying to figure out the considerations in the calculator.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi guys, since I am starting the process of leasing my 2013 X5 premium from scratch, I was hoping to get the numbers on the most recent sept incentives. Can anyone please tell me if the MF or the residuals have changed. Thanks.
    habitat1

I got the deal from Bobby Rahal in Canonsburg PA (suburb of Pittsburgh)
  • pdksobepdksobe Member Posts: 2
    I just confirmed lease factors today for both X3 and X5 is 0.00145.

Residual value for both X3 28i and 35i is 56% and 54% for the X5d since that is still a 2012.

LMK if anyone finds anything different.
    edited September 2012
    ....do not even think about buying or leasing an X5 off the lot (or any BMW for that matter), without giving REALLY serious consideration to ordering one and picking it up at the BMW Performance Delivery Center in Spartanburg South Carolina.

It is truly an exceptional experience:

2+ hours on the track with BMW Racing instructors that will take you through everything from a skidpad with and without VSC engaged, 50+ mph ABS stops in which you have to steer to an escape route, as many laps as you want on their mini-formula one course using the same vehicles as you purchased (I had to try to keep ahead of an M3 with an X5D...and did!!)

5 minutes in the seat of an M3 being driven by a racing instructor. Nothing at Universal Studios or Cedar Point will prepare you for a 120 mph run through an uphill S curve followed by a 120 degree hard right.

Lunch after the above

An off-road course in the X5 in which you go through 20+" of water, up and down 45 degree rock covered paths, sideways to the point of only having on front and one rear wheel on the ground, etc. Great opportunity to learn how to properly drive the X5 using the hill descent and reverse hold buttons.

a 1+ hour complete personal tour of the 1.5 million square foot X3 factory. They have a total of 4.5 million square feet, but the X5/X6 factory is off limits as they already are gearing up for the new redesign. I saw X3 2.0D right hand drives being made in front and back of X3 3.5i's.

As long as you want in BMW's Museum, gift shop and cafe.

I can honestly say that while there wasn't much second guessing I did after deciding on the X5 over the MDX, yesterdays experience proved to me that there is absolutely no comparison between the vehicles. We did things on the race track and the off road course in a X5D that would have left the Acura either upside down, flooded, or just plain busted up.

I was so energized, I decided to drive all the way home afterwards (520 miles) rather than stop halfway fro the night. Averaged 68 mph (had to vary speeds and not use cruise during break in) and still managed 29.4 mpg. Was hovering over 30 mpg until I hit some DC beltway construction.
  • speedmonkee1speedmonkee1 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    Hi CarMan,

I am about to take delivery of a custom ordered 2012 X5 D. Premium, Sport, 20"rims, Soft Close doors, Tech pkg, running boards. MSRP $66,845 Dealer Cost +300 profit +MACO ($380) = $56610.
    Using EcoCredit, BMW Apps/Loyalty for $1250.

We've chosen to do a 36Mo Lease with 12K miles (also need 15K miles for comparison). Dealer is offering .00165 MF (says its nominal for profit) at 54% residual. Acquisition fee is $925 - i know its $725, so i am calling him on that one.

Are these #'s fair?

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    You're very welcome, sillycat1.

Car_man
    Host
    Welcome lexusking. It would be much easier for us to evaluate this deal if you were able to provide us with this vehicle's selling price first. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without this number it is more difficult to tell how large a dealer discount you are being given and in turn if there is any room left to negotiate. Let us know what the selling price is and I'm sure that either myself or another community member will tell you what they think.

When negotiating your deal on this truck, keep in mind that BMW is providing $4,500 cash incentive on it right now. You should be able to negotiate a decent dealer discount on top of that.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi 4tune. BMW Financial Services' September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 X5 Premium with 15,000 miles per year are .00145 and 57%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Jeremy. Normally I would be annoyed with the marking up of the money factor and acquisition fee, but you are getting an excellent selling price on this truck. See if you can get the dealer to use the .00145 money factor and $725 acquisition fee. If not, this is still a good deal.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.