Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot Lease Questions

Comments

• pcantorepcantore Member Posts: 148
    Thanks Car man. It's greatly appreciated.
  • sparty22sparty22 Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2012
    What is the residual and mf on 2012 pilot ex for 15000 miles/year. I got Quoted at 470 w/ zero out of pocket, but doesn't seem reasonable.
  • run214run214 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I'm after the residual and money factor for a 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L (no nav or rear entertainment) in Flagstaff, Arizona for June. Tier 1 credit/12K and 15K miles/36 months.

1st time lease as well. Suggestions? Also, I've heard from several people that putting money down on a lease is silly, that it's like putting money down to lower an apartment rent payment. Thoughts?

Thanks!
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    You're welcome pcantore.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Here you go sparty22. Honda Finance's June buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Pilot EX with 15,000 miles per year are .00039 and 54%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

When negotiating your deal on this truck, make sure to take advantage of the $500 dealer cash that is currently available on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for run214. Honda Finance's June buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Pilot EX-L with 15,000 miles per year are .00039 and 52%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

The residual value for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be 2% higher.

There's $500 dealer cash on this truck right now.

What you heard about putting money down on a lease is correct. You're much better off going with a zero down lease.

Car_man
    Host
  • keymosabykeymosaby Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I just bought a new pilot, when I got home I noticed that they used the price on the bottom of the window sticker as the MSRP to calculate my lease. The way the sticker is done is that the MSRP is listed on Top as $34,570 then the destination and handling charge $810 then the sticker total is 35,380. Can You Please tell me if they should be using $35,380 as the MSRP to calculate the LEASE payment or they are trying to over charge me? I signed the deal on Wednesday, June 20-2012 @2 P.M. In TAMPA, FLORIDA I think I have a 24 hour to correct that. Thank you.
    P.S... If they refuse to correct it where and to whom may I complain.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    edited June 2012
    They use the MSRP to calculate the residual amount on the lease (MSRP X residual % = residual amount).. The higher the residual, the less depreciation you pay, and the lower the lease payment.

But that isn't the only calculation that goes into the lease payment. The biggest variable is the selling price of the vehicle. The lower the selling price, the lower the payment.

The bottom number on the sticker is the correct one.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mike630mike630 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car Man,

Can you please provide the current MF and Residual on a 2012 Pilot LX and EX 4WD for 36 months and 12,000 miles? I reside in New Jersey.

Thank you for your help!
    Hi mike630. Honda Finance's June buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Pilot LX 4WD with 12,000 miles per year are .00039 and 56%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a '12 Pilot EX 4WD are the same.

Car_man
    Host
  • run214run214 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you so much for the above information.

Is there much of a change between June's figures and those in July?
  • keymosabykeymosaby Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much. We really appreciate your help.
    RE: the price that was paid to purchase my 2012 HONDA PILOT EX-L on JUNE 20, 2012; the bottom price on the window sticker (that included $810 for destination and handling) was $35,380.00. Price after negotiation $30,006.40 which is equal to$5373.60 (15.188% off of sticker) of savings off of the sticker price. I paid $6146.39 out of pocket at signing and my TOTAL MONTHLY PAYMENT is $242.00/Month, including rent charge and tax (36 month lease, 15000mile/year).
    I hope this information can help others. Again; Thank you for your help.
    Keymosaby
  • verybeegverybeeg Member Posts: 19
    i was quoted a Pilot EXL 4WD with Entertainment (no NAV) by 2 dealers with same cap cost, same MF of 0.0039, but one quoted 53% residual while another 54%. Both quoted me the price of vehicle with destination charges factored in.

What is the actual MSRP on this car assuming no other accessories?

This is from 2 dealers in PA. thanks.
    Would you think a monthly payment of 419 is reasonable for 15k 4wd ex with no money out of pocket?
    Why would you put so much down out of pocket on a lease? I've read you should never put more than 500 down on a lease.
  • verybeegverybeeg Member Posts: 19
    A deal told me that the MF for Sign and Drive is 0.00029, whereas with down payment, the MF is .00039. Is that correct that Honda gives us a better MF without a down payment? Is there any catch?
  • joja15joja15 Member Posts: 1
    Hi CarMan, I am looking to lease a car in the next 48 hours and was wondering if you could provide me the current money factor and residual for a 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 2WD with Nav and 2012 Honda Pilot 2WD Touring. I am looking for a 24 month lease with 15k miles a year.

Also if anyone else has feedback on what a reasonable selling price is for the above vehicles I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    John
  • summer31summer31 Member Posts: 3
    Dear Car Man,

My husband and I signed the paperwork for a 2012 Pilot EXL lease and we put $500 down as a deposit. We're supposed to pick it up next week but once we were home we did a bit of research and found out we really didnt' get such a good deal. $440 per month with $1500 down for 36 months, 12k miles per year. Are we stuck or can we still back out at this point and maybe get our deposit back?
  • sveomasveoma Member Posts: 4
    I can get a deal $380 plus tax for EX-L with 0 down with 1st month , DMV fees and a bank fee.( about $1400 )
    i just ran some numbers and it does makes seance if you are in NY .
    xs leasing in New York
    The best programs now are for 36 m / 12k

if You are in a tri state aria you can get yours from XS Leasing .

Right now they offer 4WD Pilot EX-l with navi for $417 plus tax, 0 down with first month, dmv and a bank fee due at signing
    4WD EX-L touring $490 plus tax, 0 down with first month, dmv and a bank fee due at signing
    You're very welcome run214. It's difficult to say what the July programs will be like, but I don't expect them to be much different.

Car_man
    Host
    That is indeed correct, verybeeg. For some reason, Honda Finance's zero due at lease signing money factors are .00010 lower than its normal money factors. There isn't any catch. In fact, it's to your advantage not to make any down payment when leasing.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi John. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24-month lease of a 2012 Pilot EX-L 2WD with Navigation, Touring and 15,000 miles per year are .00039 and 50%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

If I was in the market for this truck in an area that has a decent level of competition, I personally would shoot for a selling price that's around $500 over invoice minus the available $500 dealer cash.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi summer31. As long as you haven't physically taken delivery of your Pilot there's still a decent chance that you can get out of this deal. It would be even easier if you haven't signed any official Honda Finance lease contract yet. Having said that, not having to take delivery of this truck and getting the dealer to give you your $500 back are two different things. Some dealers will hold consumers feet to the fire and others are more lenient.

Car_man
    Host
  • hondafan14hondafan14 Member Posts: 23
    Hi Carman

Can you please provide me the numbers for a 12K/Year 36 month lease for both 4wd Touring and EXL-RES for the month of July? I 'am in NJ and looking to get either model this month.

Thanks
    Certainly hondafan14. Through July 9th, Honda Finance's buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Pilot Touring 4WD with 15,000 miles per year are .00039 and 50%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2012 Pilot EX-L 4WD w/RES are .00039 and 53%.

When negotiating your deal on this truck, make sure to take advantage of the $500 dealer cash that is currently available on it.

Honda is scheduled to introduce its new July programs some time on the 10th. Please feel free to check back with me then and I'll gladly provide you with an update.

Car_man
    Host
  • swbink02swbink02 Member Posts: 1
    I got an offer from a local dealership in Louisville, KY with the "0,0,0,0" deal:
    $329 per month on a 2012 Honda Pilot LX 4WD with 12,000 miles with .0039 MF and 56%. Sounds pretty good. This is before we negotiate on a trade.

Thoughts on this?? Only problem is.............I have to act before close of business tomorrow (7-9-12).
  • contoisdcontoisd Member Posts: 3
    Hi Car Man,

Could you give me residual and mf for 36mth 12k year for EX, EX-L and EX-L Touring? Also if you have any other incentives being offered would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Dan
  • hondafan14hondafan14 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks Carman
    Hello Dan. Honda Finance's July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Pilot Touring EX 4WD with 12,000 miles per year are .00039 and 55%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a '12 Pilot EX-L 4WD are .00039 and 53%.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a '12 Pilot EX-L Touring 4WD are .00039 and 49%.

When negotiating your deal on this truck, make sure to take advantage of the $750 dealer cash that is currently available on it.

Car_man
    Host
    You're very welcome hondafan14.

Car_man
    Host
  • kristenskekristenske Member Posts: 3
    Hi, new here, new to leasing in general.

I'm in Orange County, CA. I am about to lease a 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 2WD with added chrome side steps, roof rails and cross bars. MSRP is $35,550 plus accessories totaling about $1000. I was quoted $3000 drive off cost with payments of $289.99 + tax for 35 months. Is this a good deal? I've read to never put more than a couple hundred down but I'd like my payments low.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!! I'm desperate to make sure I'm getting a good and fair deal!
  • cabledogcabledog Member Posts: 4
    Hi Car_Man,

When buying or leasing a new Pilot...
    Do you negotiate the price of the pilot and then tell the dealer that you want to lease instead of buy?

I assume you get the best deal, then the monthly lease payment is based on the negotiated price. Is this correct?
    If not,
    Can you give this newbie some advice on leasing a new Pilot!

Also, how does the current $750 dealer cash back come in to play with the lease?

I am interest in the 2012 Pilot LX or EX 4WD, 12k miles per yr & 36 month lease.

Thanks in advance for your help....
  • yaleratyalerat Member Posts: 2
    Carman,

I am about to make a deal and just wanted some feedback. The dealer is asking $470 per month for 35 months on a 36 month 12,000 mile lease. All fees are included. Cap cost seems high at $34,780 but residual seems right at $19689. At the end of the day do I care if others have lower Cap cost but cant match the monthly payment? Just curious if the price seems high or low? Thanks
    Hi kristenske. Sorry for the delay in my reply. I have been away.

Since you are new to leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles on the subject that are available here at Edmunds.com: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

In short, the easiest way to get a good deal on a leased vehicle is to shop around for the lowest possible selling price and then have the dealer that you decide to go with calculate your vehicle's monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor.

What you read about not making down payments on leases is correct. It is in your best interest to put as little as possible down when leasing. Consumers who make large down payments on leases risk losing that money if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered.

It would be easier for me to evaluate this specific deal if you were able to provide me with this vehicle's selling price first. Do you have it?

Car_man
    Host
    Hi cabledog. You don't necessarily have to hide the fact that you want to lease your Pilot, but you definitely should negotiate its selling price before having the dealer work up a lease payment on it for you.

If I was in the market for a Pilot right now, I personally would shoot for a selling price of a couple hundred dollars over invoice minus the $750 dealer cash.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey yalerat. Generally speaking, the lower your vehicle's capitalized cost is, the lower your monthly payment will be. It's strange that this dealer quoted you a higher selling price yet a lower monthly payment. You're right that ultimately the lowest monthly payment is the most important figure on a lease, but usually negotiating a low selling price is the best way to get there.

Car_man
    Host
  • kristenskekristenske Member Posts: 3
    Hi Carman. Thanks for all your info on the forums. You make it easy to understand!

It has definately helped to read all the chatter on here and all the articles. Right now, my current offer is for a Pilot EX-L, FWD for MSRP of $35,550, selling price of $31,131, destination included. My monthly payments would be $309 after taxes, with $2000 down. That's with added chrome running boards and roof rails.

I don't drive much, so my mileage will be minimal at the end of the lease. The dealer says that HFC (Honda Financial) provides gap insurance so if it's totaled, I don't lose any money. Is this correct?

Also, they're going with .00039 and 53% residual. Seem like a good or average lease? It's the end of the month and 2013's are just around the corner, so they are trying to deal. I've almost signed.
    Thanks kristenske. I'm glad that I am able to help.

The dealer invoice price of a 2012 Pilot EX-L FWD is currently $32,573. If one subtracts the available $750 dealer cash from that it drops to $31,823, so the selling price that you were quoted looks excellent. The money factor that you were quoted looks great too.

Honda does provide gap insurance on its leases at no additional charge, but the gap coverage does not reimburse lessees for the money that they put down on their lease if their vehicle is totaled.

If you like the truck, this seems like a good deal.

Car_man
    Host
  • omp1221omp1221 Member Posts: 7
    Hi Car_man,
    Could you please post the money factor and residuals on the following 2012 AWD Pilot EX-L scenarios?
    36 months /12K miles-yr
    24 months /12K miles-yr

36 months /15K miles-yr
    24 months /15K miles-yr
    Thanks!!!
  • marquez617marquez617 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    Hello Car_man ,

Can you please provide the current MF and Residual on a 2012 Pilot EX-L FWD for 36 months and 12,000 miles? I reside in Houston, TX

I went to a dealer and they didn't want to negotiate anything when it came to price. They wanted to stick with their $35,500 number and wanted me to pay $1708 sales tax to be able to pay $420. I'd really like to get a lower payment for the same vehicle which is why i used the advice from the lease article to send out a mass email to local Honda dealers to see who would be willing to provide the best deal. Any more info/tips would be appreciated and thanks in advance!
    Certainly omp1221. Honda Finance's August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24-month lease of a 2012 Pilot EX-L AWD with 15,000 miles per year are .00039 and 58%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 36-month lease are .00039 and 51%.

If you were to lease with 12,000 miles per year, these residual values would be 2% higher.

When negotiating your deal, make sure to take advantage of the $750 dealer cash that is currently available on this truck.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for marquez617.

Honda Finance's August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Pilot EX-L FWD with 12,000 miles per year are .00039 and 53%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier.

Did you say that the dealer told you they don't want to negotiate this truck's selling price? If so, I personally would find a different dealer. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. If I was in an area that had a decent level of competition, I personally would shoot for a selling price of around $500 over dealer invoice minus the available $750 dealer cash on a Pilot right now. You can look up this truck's exact invoice price over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

Car_man
    Host
  • cabledogcabledog Member Posts: 4
    Hi Car_man,

I leased a 2012 Pilot EX-L 4WD No RES or NAV for $355 a month on 7/27/2012...
    39 month, 10k miles a year from Huntington Honda in Long Island NY.

I had to pay the first payment plus the taxes, title, new plates and the 2 year registration fees up front to get the price. It came to $1923

My Gross Capitalized cost was $32,095
    Adjusted capitalized cost is $32,906
    Residual Value $22,290
    Window sticker : $37,150 including $830 destination charge

I believe my money factor was .00015 and the residual is 60% - It doesn't say it on any of my paperwork, but when I asked the salesman thats what he told me.

Did I get a good deal or could I have done better?
    Can you please explain the Adjusted capitalized cost?
    This was my first time leasing a car.

Thanks for all you do on this forum.

PS - It's my wife's Pilot and she loves it so far....
  • sportsmomtotwosportsmomtotwo Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car-Man,

Could you please tell me the residual and money factor for 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD without res or navi. I am in New Hampshire. Thanks in advance! Looking to lease by end of month. Do you see Septembers numbers changing?
  • steveaspesisteveaspesi Member Posts: 46
    I've got a 2010 Pilot EX-L with rear camera 44,000 miles, new tires and a residual of $18.900

I don't want this car and was wondering how easy it is to flip the care without paying tax and title.

The car is in excellent condition with the exception of a scratch down a passenger door.

anyone thing I could flip this vehicle for a quicke couple grand profit?
    I heard someone tell me in the State of Calif. you've got 10 days to transfer the title without paying the sales tax and registration. not sure if that's the case.
  • jondrinkjondrink Member Posts: 1
    You could always transfer the lease and ask for cash because of the good residual. Have to be someone looking to purchase a used Pilot but you could avoid having to buy the car yourself and pay tax, etc.
  • rockleaserocklease Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car Man,

Help! My parent's live in Vermont and are about to sign off on a the following deal for a Honda Pilot EX-L

$1900 Down and $420 a month.

Is that a bad deal? I think it is but they don't seem to be listening to my advice.
    Thanks
  • br3pppbr3ppp Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    After sending out offers via email to 8 different dealerships in the Tampa area, I finally had one that is willing to give me the price I want.

This is a for a 2012 EXL FWD (no Rear Entertainment or NAVI)

36 months, 12k miles @410.33 (including taxes) a month with ZERO out of pocket (TRUE SIGN AND DRIVE)
    First payment will be 30 days after I take possession of vehicle.

Based on all the crazy numbers I have received this seems like an awesome deal?
    What do the experts think?