Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda S2000 Lease Questions

Comments

• Congratulations and enjoy her in good health. Thanks a lot for your response regarding the incredible $28,500 offer you got. Unfortunately, logistically it wouldn't be suitable for me as I live in New York and am currently engaged in a very heavy working schedule. In addition, either transportation or travelling expenses would cancel out the attractive selling price.

I went back to the dealer today to take a close look at his inventory once again, and am thinking about switching from silverstone to new formula red. The red car is in exhibition and unfortunately it has 26 miles (I would prefer less than 10) on it, but it looks like fresh from the truck. Any comments about that relatively high number of miles at the time of purchase?

Again, best wishes with your new toy.
  • acceleratoraccelerator Posts: 136
    Thanks, Don.

My understanding is that they will all have at least 15 on it from Honda as it is part of their quality control. I'm sure someone here can chime in and confirm that.

NFR was my 3rd choice color coice. When clean, the NFR looks almost like the paint is still wet. GPW was first choice with LBP my 2nd. Rio yellow wasn't even in my top 5 until I saw it in the sun and WOW! It is absolutely beautiful and I knew I found my baby!

You could judge the stock number as to it's actual age if that would help. My two cents would be to look at the tires if you are concerned with HOW the 26 miles were put on the S. Look for the little rubber [non-permissible content removed] (I don't know what else to call them) and look at the edge of the rubber to see if it looks like threads have have been ripped. Make sense? :confuse:

Your dealer wouldn't have to know about your work schedule. You could tell them you have family here so it would be easy to justify a visit. ;) Perhaps if they wont match it, maybe meet half way? Perhaps they can offer a lower money factor if you are leasing? I have a 4.00 interest rate, no security deposit and something else was waived but I can't recall what it was. I simply am paying for sales tax (required by law) and interest (again at 4.00% or in money factor terms, .0017). I found there are a ton of options available to the dealer, IF they want to sell the car. Heck, it may take some time but if you have multiple honda dealers within a close proximately, make/allow the to bid for your business.

Keep us posted with what you find. Keey in mind that a new incentive will be out next month. Honda's special lease rate, IIRC, will be better deal than the deal I got, I believe. If the dealer has a large inventory and you are not at risk of missing out on the color you want, you may want to wait. Telling the dealer you want to wait may be enough incentive to help them sell you the car. You can also mention you are going to check out the Sky Redline/Solstice GXP in the meantime. Then see if they present you with anything attractive.
  • Thanks for your prompt and thoughtful reply. You got me itching with your deal, but again Texas would be a true logistic impediment for a New Yorker. Traveling/transportation costs alone would not justify the move.

If this is the last year of S2000 production, as it appears to be, I intend to keep the car for the long pull. Leasing, therefore, is not in the picture.

Thanks for easing my concerns about the 26 miles on the odometer. I'm a bit paranoid about the "high-rev test-driving style" that may have taken place already. Yes, I looked at the tires and to every other conceivable indicator of use and or abuse. It may be wishful thinking, but I theorize that a car standing on the sales floor is less likely to be test-driven than those on the dealer's lot. It is possible, therefore, that the car was delivered at the dealer's storage site several miles away, and for being red, it was chosen as a sales floor exhibition item.
    Mine had 29 miles on it so I know exactly what you are feeling. :)

Here is my thinking with the lease/buy route... $30k is roughly a $600/month car payment at a finance rate of 6% (rounded for easy numbers). Through my lease deal, I'm paying $360 at 4%. I can invest the difference ($240) and make more than 5%. Heck, even opening up an immigrant account will earn me 5%. My thought is that I will be in a good position to move into Honda/Acura's next great sports car.
  • Your leasing argument makes sense. By the way, I'm going to post a question about "odometer miles" at time of purchase and see what the consensus is.
  • I placed a deposit on a new s2000 over the phone. The salesman indicated that the color I wanted was in the storage site, with plastic coverage on it. However, when I got to the dealership, I found that the car was not at the storage site but rather at the dealership itself and clearly available for test driving. It had already 18 miles on it. I was immediately invited for a test drive. The engine felt tight and pulled more than I expected, the car was supreme. Yet the 18 miles on it are a sore point as it is obvious that it has been test-driven by multiple drivers already. The sales manager himself indicated that S2000s arrive with approximately 4 miles on the odometer. The excuse for the relatively high mileage was that the car has been driven back and forth from the storage site a couple of miles away.

Discouraged by the potential problem of a test-drive car, I targeted the one on the sales floor, assuming that such a car would be less likely to be taken for a test-drive than those on the lot. The car looks like just-off the truck, yet I found out that it has 26 miles on it!

We all know how sensitive high-rev engines are to break-in abuse, thus the thought that an enthusiastic kid may have rev it up to or near the red line without appropriate warm up concerns me a lot.

Any thoughts please!!!
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    You are smart to be concerned about potential abusive test drivers. That said, it's probably going to be tough to find an S2000 with the minimum 3-4 delivery miles unless you catch one literally coming off the delivery truck.

My 2002 S2000 was also off the showroom floor and had 10 miles on the odometer. The sales manager appeared professional and claimed that the only miles the car had been driven were him taking the car for a 6 mile easy drive and gas fill-up. He did it with all the S2000's to make sure the car felt and sounded right before the sale. On cars that did get short test drives, he or one of his senior sales people went along to make sure of no abuse. They also didn't allow test drives by anyone under about 25 that didn't appear to have the abilty to purchase.

Another dealer I went to at the time was far less professional (Rosenthol Honda, Tysons Corner). They literally tossed the keys of a new S2000 (still with plastic wrap) to me and said "let it rip". I wouldn't buy an oil filter from them, let alone a car.

You may have to satisfy yourself with the professionalism of the dealership and their test drive practices, rather than try to find a new S2000 with only 3-4 delivery miles.

If it's anly consolation, I never had any issues in 18,000 miles with my S2000 and have never had any issues with my 2005 911S that had 40 miles on the odometer when I purchased it. Same deal - sales manager went along for all rides. And, fortunately, fewer boy racers pass the "can afford" test on the 911.

Good luck.
  • Habitat.

Thanks for taking your time to express your thoughts. This fear about relatively extended odometer miles comes precisely from an experience I had when buying my 997S. The sales manager himself committed the crime. He knew I was trading-in two fast cars, and apparently wanted to impress me with the new 997 power/torque credentials by pressing the throttle all the way to the floor, on first gear, on a New and COLD Carrera that was available at the dealers' lot. By the way, that Carrera was sold a few days later to an unsuspecting customer. In short, one never knows. The car I'm about to buy may be fine, but certainly there is a risk involved.

I'm going back to the dealer on Monday, and I will request a test drive on the one displayed on the sales floor which has 26 miles on it. I'll listen to the engine very carefully and to the exhaust as well. I have scrutinized all the potentially revealing signs of use/abuse on that car and have found nothing to worry about. I'm also going to ask for a printout revealing the "rev history" of the engine. I don't know the technical term for that but Porsche can run an engine test which would reveal whether or not the break-in has been carried out according to factory expectations. I doubt if Honda has a similar tracing technique though.

I'm also thinking about offering the sales manager a significant down payment to induce him to order a car from the factory, provided I get it for the same price, $29,300. However, I suspect there are no more S2000s being produced.

Again, thanks for your help.
    FYI, my local dealer is expecting two new ones in two months (Rio yellow which the sales person is claiming) but you are probably right about the price. :)
    You may want to post this question as a new thread on the main forum to get reach a larger audience...

[Honda S2000 Forum]
  • dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    I would not sweat the miles. There have been thousands of S2000s sold with test drive miles on them and the car is still reliable.

Sure, we would all like to get 2-3 mile car or 10 or something - but it is just not going to happen for most folks.

My 01 S2000 I got used with over 1,000 on it and my 05 was new with 30 or so on it. Both ran/run flawlessly (knock on wood). If there was some "harm" done in those early miles, it would surely show up before the Honda factory warranty runs out - but I would not think it will.

Insisting on low miles is like folks you see in the store some time - they open the package to check out the item, then when they decide to buy they put back the package they opened and get a sealed item. Having one's cake and eating it too, I guess :D

Dennis
    Congrats on the new ride!

I like Rio Yellow, but I am afraid my wife would never ride with me if I had gotten that (both of mine have been NFR).

Get the break in miles in quick so you can start revving to your heart's content.

Dennis
    Dennis,

We took it for a short trip (300 round trip miles). I annoyed my wife because after about 10 minutes at a speed, I would adjust the speed by 5-10 mph to avoid breaking the engine in at a constant speed (not really sure if this matters but...). After today, I am at 402 on the odometer.

Getting on the freeway, I did run the tach past 7k, do you think I "broke" anything? It wasn't a hard accerlation and it was downhill so the engine rev'd up quicker than I had expected (Honest officer) so there wasn't a huge weight load put on the engine. I keep hearing how crucial it is for proper break-in so I'm nervous.

The car performed beautifully on the trip. I have a slight sunburn on the top of my head to show for it! Can you put sun-tan lotion in your hair? :confuse:

Regarding the NFR and Rio Yellow, I was actually looking at an NFR and the wife suggested the yellow! :shades:
    I hate interstate driving, if you take the back roads you will naturally vary your speed and gears. If you have to travel on the interstate/freeway just don't set the cruise and lock it in at one speed. Vary your speed up and back and even drop it into 5th for a bit.

Vtec'ing the car on the ramp should hurt nothing.

I think the owner's manual does not even mention not revving the engine nor does it mention not driving at a constant speed. I think they just recommend no hard braking for the first xxx miles and no full throttle acceleration for the first xxxx miles.

I think it is a good idea to avoid prolonged steady speeds and on the S maybe avoiding a lot of redline runs. In fact the engines seem to handle pretty much whatever is done to them. There is a cold motor redline (4-4.5k?) that you will find if you try to rev up too much before the engine is fully warmed up. It does that all the time, not just for break in.

The service manager at my local dealership also said no reason to change the initial oil out early, just do it around when you normally would. Honda states 10k in the book, I think, and 5k for harsh driving. I usually change mine about 4-5k, but that can be about once a year :D . If the build date on your car is pretty old (so it has been sitting on the lot a while) you might do the first change a little earlier.

Dennis
    Now that you mention it, I think the manual talked about redlining it, not vtec'g. I'll have to go back and read that again. The hard breaking was 200 miles so I'm good there. The dealer told me 7000k miles for the first change for this climate but stressed not to change it too early, too.

This is the first car I've started and allow to idle for a minute or two before just taking off. Usually, I crank and go. :) I've never had a car make me feel quite like this car does... Is this odd? :) Does Honda sponsor a therapy group for S owners? :blush:

I cannot wait to go find some twisties...
    Idling just wastes gas, start it up and go. Just do not drive hard until the motor is fully warmed up. I usually short shift a bit until the car warms up.

I got ScanGuage II car computers for all the cars. I leave mine showing MPH, MPG, RPM, and Water temp. Then I can see how much warmed up the motor is at any time - hard to tell what 1 bar, 2 bars, 3 bars means.

My office is on a road with a 45mph speed limit that changes to 55mph just in maybe 1/4 mile. So if I am leaving work during rush hour I do tend to warm whatever car I am in up a bit before I try to pull out. No traffic light, which means see and opening and GO! I try to leave either before or after it gets too bad - but at peak time having the motor up to speed means I can go when I need to.

Dennis
    Leaving work here is the same way, except it is 55mph service road. Absolutely nuts that a parking lot dumps into something so quick but I digress.

I'll look into the ScanGuage II, thanks for the link! Texas gets hot so I'm sure this would come in handy.
  • Thanks for your comforting words. I test drove the car today, opened the hood and listened to the engine, also did check the exhaust. The car passed the test, whatever that means. At any rate, I signed the papers and should be picking it up this weekend.

Cannot believe I bought a red car. NFR (red/black contrast) looks terrific on the S2000, in my opinion

Thanks again.
    Congrats to you too! I would have driven it home and not waited for the weekend :D .

Remember a new S2000 will have 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60 powertrain factory warranty. You can also purchase a HondaCare extended service contract for a reasonable amount (7yr/80k miles for $765 for example) - unless you live in FL. A few test drive miles should not harm anything and even if they did any problem should show up long before the warranty is out.

NFR does look nice. The paint (and the body panels) are really thin and easy to dent and scratch so you do have to take care of the finish. I put a car cover over my S when I am not going to be driving it soon.

Dennis
    You are going to love it! The NFR's finish almost looks like wet paint, too me. :)

Congrats!

Now that you have your S, don't stop posting! ;)
This discussion has been closed.