Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Greetings acacia379. Toyota is not currently providing any lease support on the new 2008 Highlander. As a result, if you were to lease one through Toyota Financial Services, you would have to use its standard lease program. I haven't seen its standard lease money factor for your specific area recently, but I suspect that it is currently around .00250 to .00275 for consumers who qualify for its Tier 1+ credit tier. TFS' current 36 month, 15,000 mile per year residual value for an '08 Highlander Limited AWD is 58%. Keep in mind though that TFS only publishes residual value percentages for base vehicles. It places restrictions upon which options can be residualized, making it difficult to calculate actual dollar residual values for specific vehicles.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hello jim53. Toyota is not currently providing any lease support on the new 2008 Highlander. As a result, if you were to lease one through Toyota Financial Services, you would have to use its standard lease program. I haven't seen its standard lease money factor for your specific area recently, but I suspect that it is currently around .00250 to .00275 for consumers who qualify for its Tier 1+ credit tier. TFS' current 36 month, 12,000 mile per year residual value for an '08 Highlander Sport AWD is 60%. Keep in mind though that TFS only publishes residual value percentages for base vehicles. It places restrictions upon which options can be residualized, making it difficult to calculate actual dollar residual values for specific vehicles.

Sixty months is way too long to lease any vehicle for. Not only will your truck's basic warranty have expires by the end of your lease, forcing you to pay to fix any non-powertrain problems that your vehicle has out of your own pocket or possibly have to pay an excess wear and tear penalty, but a lot can happen over the course of five years. Your commute for work could change causing you to go way over your mileage limit or waste miles that you have paid for, gas prices could skyrocket causing you to want a more fuel efficient vehicle, you could just plain become board with your vehicle, etc. I always advise consumers to stick to 36 to 39 month leases, 48 months at the longest.

Car_man
    Host
  • dessauerdessauer Member Posts: 1
    I just got a money factor of 2.14 on a 48 month lease, 42% residual on a 2008 Highlinder--I don't have a good frame of referrence, can you help? Thanks

Regards, dessland13
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    any news on lease numbers in the Northeast?....residual,money factors etc?....any news on Toyota providing any subsidies for the Highlanders?..
    Thanks anyone..
  • iowabuyeriowabuyer Member Posts: 2
    I am planning to lease a 08 HL Limited with Nav and DVD. Can someone help me out. Prices are all over the place.

Anyone from Iowa who got a good deal? One dealer asked for $5000 down (included tax,title, etc) with $590/M. It was Limited, DVD, Nav, Moon Roof, i.e. fully loaded. I backed off as it appeared too high to me.

As there is no lease offers on 08 from Toyota, what is the best way to calculate the right price?

Thanx.
  • lolyloly Member Posts: 1
    I am in a similar situation of suvgal, in 2006 got into a 5 yr (ludicrist now I realize) lease for a 4cyl Hylander, payments are $425, it has 20,000 miles on it, and we did buy the 14,000 mile per year option just in case, now we realize the mistake we made and would like to get rid of this lease but don't know how to do it or if it would be a crazy thing to do, first I did check with the bank and the pay off figure is $25,136., also checked the value here in the edmond website and is aprx $18,000, don't know what to do, don't want this car any longer, and do feel we were taken by this dealership. Not a very happy camper AT ALL !!! :mad: :sick: :cry:
  • alkricalkric Member Posts: 9
    I want to lease HL 2008 Limited. The price for Limited is $34.100. The question is why should I buy additionally package a ($3000) or package B ($6000)? Why Toyota can’t lease HL 2008 Limited for 34.100?

Thanks
    Hi dessland13. So you mean a money factor of .00214? If so, that is a very attractive rate. It is lower than any of the money factors that I have seen mentioned for the 2008 Highlander lately.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello svofan2. Are you in the New York area? If so, you're in luck because Toyota is providing lease support on the 2008 Highlander in your area. Its current buy rate special lease money factor there for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier is .00259.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello iowabuyer. $590 per month with $5,000 is crazy for a 2008 Toyota Highlander. Sure the redesigned version is a nice truck, but we're not talking about a BMW, Mercedes-Benz, or a Lexus here. Yikes.

The best way to get a good deal on the Highlander that you are interested in is to negotiate as low a selling price as possible and then have the dealer that gives you that price calculate your monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor. Try stopping by the .eea7277 discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar trucks, price-wise.

After you arrive at a selling price that you are comfortable with, have the dealer calculate your monthly payment using Toyota Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor. Its lease program varies by region, but I do not believe that Toyota is currently providing any lease support on the '08 Highlander in your neck of the woods. If this is the case and you were to lease one through TFS, you would have to use its standard lease program. Its buy rate standard lease money factor is probably around .00285 or so for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi loly. I am sorry to hear that you are stuck in a long lease that you want to get out of. Unfortunately, if it will cost significantly more to purchase your Highlander than it is currently worth on the open market then it is going to be very expensive for you to get out of your lease at this time. Your least expensive option is to wait until you are closer to the scheduled end of your current lease to get something new and chalk it up as a learning experience so that you go with a shorter lease next time around. Sorry that I don't have better news for you.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi alkric. Are you saying that you can't find any dealers that have Highlander Limited models in stock that are not equipped with package A or package B? If the majority of the Highlanders that are out there have one of these options packages, that much just be the way that Toyota is currently building most Highlanders right now. Try stopping by the main Toyota Highlander discussion to see if any of the community members who hang out there have seen a Highlander Limited without either of these packages: "2008 Toyota Highlander".

Car_man
    Host
  • drlonline1drlonline1 Member Posts: 10
    Car_man, would appreciate likely TFS money factor for a car I've ordered that is due soon: 2008 HH Limited with Nav and sunroof, MSRP=44790. Dealer sent me a copy of the vehicle detail info which indicates the residual @ 48 months to be 19,027 (low mileage rate, 12K miles/year). I live in Southern California.
  • alkricalkric Member Posts: 9
    Thanks, Car_man

Alek
  • skeezen1skeezen1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at a 2008 Sport 4x2 w/Leather and a handful of options (JBL, Moonroof, Homelink, etc) in NC.

The MSRP comes to $34,233. The invoice is around $30,405 (according to Edmunds).

Credit is good, so I expect a money factor around .0023 or so.

What seems so variable is the residual value. LeaseGuide.com gives an estimate of 60% for 36 months, 12k miles. Several posts I have seen here show it in the low 40%s.

Can any one explain such a disparity in residual values? It accounts for about a $160 difference in monthly price from my calculations.

Thanks!
  • apaoneapaone Member Posts: 18
    Looking for a 3 year lease on a 08 Limited. MSRP is looking around $39,800. I am trying to determine the lease price and would like to know what I should be using for a money factor and residual value percentage? Excellent credit, so I was thinking money factor should be about 0.00259. Is a residual of 58% too high? How much over invoice are people negotiating Limited to now? $500 - $1000?

Located in Massachusetts.

Thanks.
  • columbusacuracolumbusacura Member Posts: 7
    I have 3 or so months left on my current car lease and want to get into a new 2008 Highlander lease. Any guesses or predications on when the best lease rates will be between now and February? Does Toyota ever offer lease support for 2008 Highlanders in Ohio? Will the new Highlander sell too well to get any end-of-calendar year incentives from Toyota?

I got a selling price and payment quote from a dealer that was attractive even though they were rolling in my remaining lease payments. Of course, unless some special incentive is going on now, I'd rather wait and not roll in the remaining payments...

Thanks!
  • tom88888888tom88888888 Member Posts: 3
    drlonline1, i'm in the market for a very similar car in so.cal. and a broker i work with gave me some sobering number. tfs residualizes these suvs at 55% max and a money factor of .0275 or 6.6% USbank has great money factor of 4.8% but horrible residual of 45% with those numbers and just drive off of 1200.00 payment is over 840.00 incl. tax. Way too high. my land rover LR3 is costing me 20$ less a month over a two year lease. I"m seriously considering an Acura MDX eventhough i really like the HHLimited
  • green_powergreen_power Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering taking over the lease described below. The car has 27k miles. Can you help me figure out if this is a good deal? If not, what would that $2000 number have to be to make it good? Am I better off just buying it outright at $31.5k? Features: A/C: Front, Navigation System, Power Locks, Power Steering, Remote Keyless Entry, Leather Interior, Power Seats, Alarm, CD Changer, CD Player, Power Windows, Rear Window Defroster, Rear Window Wiper, Tinted Glass, Alloy Wheels, Sunroof/Moonroof, Third Row Seats
    Selling Points: Limited edition loaded with NICE interior - GPS Navigation system - Heated leather seats - nice dash - moon roof -comfortable drive Hybrid engine - big hatch fits/carries oversized load, etc. third row rumble seat car Car currently under Toyota lease - will sell outright or transfer lease at payment of $550 per month (includes maintenance contract) and runs through May 2009 w/ buyout at $23,581 - we will pay $2,000 to buyer on lease transfer option - lease would transfer through Toyota directly - all warrantees transfer, etc. Warranty: Comes with 3yr, 36K mile warranty on all; 5yr, 60K mile for motor & transmission; 8yr & 100K mile for hybrid parts - buyer has option to upgrade warranty through dealer This car was one of 2 exact same leased for business - our partner must relocate off mainland US & couldn't take car - we LOVE this model and keeping the other
    Condition: This is a limited edition so loaded with NICE interior - GPS Navigation system - Heated leather seats - nice dash - moon roof -comfortable drive Hybrid engine - big hatch fits/carries oversized load, etc. third row rumble seat car
    I won't speak for the $31.5k price, but will speak towards the lease assuming that is a fair value (although, a one year old car with 27,000 miles should give you pause. You are 9k miles away from the full warranty expiring. Also, make sure you aren't paying for any miles over 36k or 45k with the lease).

I wouldn't do the lease on those terms. Essentially, it is an 18 month lease. 75% residual value. $2,000 up front payment. Assuming, taxes are all rolled in or zero, the interest rate in that lease is 10%.

Not sure what your credit is, but Toyota has been using roughly a 6.22% interest rate for leases for top tier credit on new vehicles. If you want to treat this like a new car lease and use that rate, the amount you should pay up front would be about $550 in order for the monthly lease payments of $550 per month to make sense. Of course, interest rates for used cars are typically higher than new cars, so you should factor that in.

http://auto-loan.interest.com/content/calculators/lease.asp
  • savopsavop Member Posts: 2
    Hi

Looking to lease a Highlander Sport in NJ.
    Can you tell the money factor and residual for a 36- 39 month with 15k

thank you
  • mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    I would appreciate the residual value and money factor for a Base highlander for 24 and 36 months and 12,000 miles per year.
  • houston_manhouston_man Member Posts: 34
    Greetings CarMan,

I am in the process of leasing, from Gulf States Toyota, a 2008 Highlander LTD 2WD. Options are JBL with bluetooth, running boards and side moldings. Nothing else. This is an H-Plan deal with the following stats:

Gross Cap Cost: 35,500
    Adj Capt Cost: 37,900
    Money Factor: .00200
    Annual Mileage: 18,000
    Length of Lease: 36 mos
    L.E.V.: 49.5%

As "Howie" says, Deal or No Deal??

Thanks!
    Anybody able to answer Post #177?
    Hard to tell without the MSRP. What is it?

On the surface, the money factor (comes out to a rate of 4.8%, which is what Toyota Financial is offering on loans to tier 1 credit) and residual values look pretty good. But, $35,500 seems a tad rich for a Ltd 2x4 with a couple options (although, I may be wrong here. What is invoice price on this vehicle?).

Anyhow, here is a calculator you may want to play around with:

http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.htm
    MSRP is $38,650.
    How do you get to an MSRP of $38,650 for a Ltd 2x4 with running boards, side moldings, and JBL w/ bluetooth as the only options? MSRP should be about $35k for that.
    Add Pwr Rear Door, CFC free rear auto digital climate control, floor mats. Apologies, I did not put this in the original posting.
  • ocautoseekerocautoseeker Member Posts: 425
    Are you sure that money factor and residual are from Toyota Financial Services, or did they quote you from an outside bank? Unless TFS changed their rate on the Higlander Limited mid-month, buy rate is .00275.
    At that list price, it most-likely has nav too, yes?
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    Here are the details available on Toyota's website about the HL promo lease currently being offered in the Midwest:

Lease a new 2008 Highlander for $299 a month for 36 months with $2,999 due at signing, which includes first month’s payment, $2,150 down payment, $0 security deposit and $550 acquisition fee. Does not include taxes, license, title fees, insurance and dealer charges. Closed-end lease. 08 Highlander sport and base gas models are eligible. Example based on model #6948 with FE CQ EH RL TO only. Gas limited models and all hybrid models are excluded. Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price including freight $28,750. Monthly payments of $299 total $10,764. Capitalized cost of $26,077 based on down payment and dealer participation, which may vary by dealer. Payment may vary depending on final transaction price. Lease-end purchase option is $18,500. Customer responsible for maintenance, excess wear and tear and $0.15 per mile over 12,000 miles per year . To qualified Tier 1+ customers through Toyota Financial Services. Cannot be combined with any other offers. Subject to availability. See participating dealer for details. Offer ends 1/2/2008. Offer good in Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.

Any comments on this lease? Seems to me like the downpayment and lease end purchase price are rather high. (I might want to purchase at lease end). What aspects of the lease should I attempt to negotiate with a dealer? I'm interested in a 2wd Sport with no options, and 12k miles/yr is adequate.
    I went through the lease carefully with a former Toyota finance guy, signed and here are the details. Apologies for the "spotty" posting earlier:

2008 Highlander LTD 2WD Sandy Beach Metallic
    Options: PWR Rear Door, JBL w/Bluetooth, Rear A/C, Running Boards, Floor Mats
    36 month lease@18K/year
    MF: .00219
    Gross Cap Cost: 35,500
    Adj Cap Cost: 37,850
    L.E.V: 49.5%
    Amount at Signing: 870.00
    Current Tier 1 Customer

I appreciate your earlier reply. Feedback appreciated!!
  • yankee26yankee26 Member Posts: 7
    Hi....I'm in Jacksonville, Florida.....looking to lease a Toyota Highlander that is fully loaded, leather, moon roof, premium sound, etc.....want to put down $2,000 and pay about $450 a month for the lease 36 months, 15,000 miles a year..my wife says no way will they do this at any dealer...any thoughts on this......rough ballpark figures are fine, I just want to know if what I will be requesting from the dealer is something I am close on...thanks!
    While I typically don't help Yankee fans with unrealistic expectations, I will offer my thoughts here. ;)

Assuming you mean a fully loaded LTD with NAV and DVD (otherwise, it is not "fully loaded"), you are looking at a vehicle with an Invoice around $37,800 ($43,507 MSRP). Add on $500 for the Toyota Advertising fee and another $500 for the dealer (many people have been able to get dealers down to this level) you are looking at a purchase price of $38,800. Add in $400 or so in fees (financing, docs, registration) and you are at $39,200. Now factor in FL sales tax (6%, not sure,but I think sales tax applies to the fees too), and you are at $41,552.

Now, assuming $2000 downpayment (I would not recommend putting money down for a lease), a .00275 money factor (this has been what Toyota Financial Services (TFS) has been using for may tier 1 credit leases, comes out to a 6.6%), and 49% residual value (this may even be a little aggressive. TFS does not provide very good residual values for autos with lots of options), you get a lease payment of $638.22 (taxes included).

Your wife is right (she must be a Red Sox fan), no dealer will do it at $450. You would have to get the negotiated purchase price down to $33,000 in order to get that payment. Needless to say, dealers are not selling these for $4,800 below invoice.

Anyhow, you should play around with this caculator to get a better sense of what goes into a lease price:

http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.htm

I opted to buy our HL LTD because the purchase rates (4.9%/4 yrs) was more attractive than the lease program.
  • yankee26yankee26 Member Posts: 7
    Thank you apaone...she is a Red Sox fan..makes for a fun marriage :) .sounds like purchasing might be a better choice for us...thanks again!
  • kscapkscap Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone provide a residual percentage for 2008 Highlander Limited with following options: Navigation, Power rear door, Moonroof, heated front seats and rear spoiler. MSRP shown is $38, 582. Is 57% / 58% reasonable. Lease term is 36 months @ 12K mi per year.

One dealership quoted 50% and that seems low.

Thanks,
    Ken
    For a LTD with NAV, etc., Toyota Financial Services places the residual around 48-49%. That was my experience when looking at similarly equipped HLs. You are right, it is low, but they are the ones calling the shots. From what I have read, it seems the more options the car has, the lower the residual value (basically, TFS is assigning very little to no future value to these options). Also, the implied interest rate on the 3 yr lease was about 6.6% when I was looking. Pretty high for tier 1 credit.

All of those factors (plus an actual need for this size car for 5+ years) made me opt to purchase the vehicle instead.
    Get me a VIN # and I can tell you the exact residual.

TFS Tier1+ MF = .00285 (nothing special on Limited's right now)
    Ocautoseeker.

Thanks. I'll get you the VIN #. FYI, yesterday I was given a MF of .00219 or 5.26% APR with Tier I credit through TFS.

Thanks
    You are correct... there is cheaper money now avaialble on the limiteds. .00219 is the correct buy rate.

2wd or 4wd?
    2WD. Given its relatively weak residual value it looks like its going to be tough not to exceed $500 payment on 36 month lease, 12k mi /yr paying only inceptions ($0 down payment).

I did well on my current highlander lease during a presidents weekend "blow-out" sale. Maybe I should hold off and wait until next month for a deal?
    Toyota assigns a dollar value to each individual vehicle based on it's options. I viewed three invoices for you based on your lease requirements of 36mo/12k.

The closest one I could find was a 2wd Limited which listed (MSRP) @ $39,590. Residual value is, $18,608 (47%).

The 4wd Limited I viewed had an MSRP of $40,310 and carried a residual of $19,974 (49.5%).
  • edukatedredhededukatedredhed Member Posts: 41
    Hello! I will be leasing my first Toyota tomorrow and have a couple of questions.

1. I paid my down payment Saturday and signed off on the worksheet. The car will be delivered tomorrow. Am I correct in assuming the worksheet signature only indicates my authorization to check my credit and is NOT an agreement to purchase?

The reason I ask that question is I was trying to work the numbers to match all of the pieces I was told, and I can't do it. See item #2.

Here are the numbers, as was told to me by the salesman:

2008 HL Sport
    + Option package H
    + XM
    + Special paint color.
    + All-Weather Mats

MSRP: 38,002
    Cap Cost: 35,028
    Residual: 18,272
    Due up front: 795
    Money Factor: .158 (I think there are 0's missing)
    Monthly Pmt: 625

2. I can't get those numbers above to come out to a $625 payment through the LeaseGuide. I get a payment of $588 or so.

I can't get the options and accessories to add up to the MSRP above via the Toyota Build-Your-Toyota site. (BTW, I'm purchasing in TN)

3. The worksheet I signed only shows the payment of $625, which is the payment amount I said was the MOST I'd pay. Am I stuck with that?

4. Do those numbers make sense to anyone else?

5. Is this an overall good deal?

Any quick response is appreciated. =)
    Nothing is final until you sign the actual lease contract in the finance dept. Since you told them you'd paid up to $625/mo, they just structured the deal to make that number happen.

They probably capped the acquisition fee in your lease (~$595). Did you include sales tax in your payments? You should not be making a down payment/cap cost reduction on a lease; you should only pay the first month's payment, DMV Fee's, and hopefully only a small DOC fee upfront (each state is different on what they charge). Here in socal, they are capped at $55, but some states charge hundreds of dollars for this fee. If it's over $100, negotiate it, and/or have them reduce the cap cost to put it more in context with your deal.

The money factor is probably .00158, which equates to ~ 3.8%.

Just ask them to itemize the deal. This vehicle should be capped at ~$250-$500 over invoice.
    The 795 I paid is supposed to be the first month's pmt as well as the doc fee. And yes, I included sales tax in my calculations. Hopefully when I sit with the finance manager they'll be able to make the numbers work out to what I figured them. :)
    The numbers I ran based on the figures you provided came out to $588.14/mo, assuming a 36 month term. If they capped the acquisition fee in the lease (most-likely they did @ ~$595), your payments will be $606.83. Only ways they could have arrived at $625/mo is by raising your cap cost and/or inflating the money factor. Hopefully, there is no additional aftermarket equipment on the vehicle as only very small portions if any at all can be resdualized.

Print up a copy of the lease sheet you put together on leaseguide and show it to them. If you don't want to pay the aqcuistion fee as part of your drive offs, make sure you cap the cost (~$595) into the lease using the "costs added to the lease" feature (if using leaseguide).

Looks like they capped the cost ~ $1000 over invoice. I believe you could shave another $500 -$750 off that and save yourself $15-$20/mo. It's worth a shot! Good luck!
    Thank you! I got $588 as well. I plan on going in armed with all of the numbers I was told as well as a detailed print out of all my numbers. Wish me luck!
    I brought home my new 08 HL Sport last night! Woo-hoo!

I previously posted that I couldn't get my numbers to tie, but realized last night I was leaving out the GAP ins and Acq Fee. Add in those two and viola! The numbers worked.

I paid about $2,500 over cost, but I'm fairly happy with my results. I blame myself for not bargaining more. I let my desire for a new vehicle NOW and my comparison to a Land Rover LR2 cloud my bargaining skills! :blush:

Here's my deal, for comparison purposes for those who are curious.

08 HL Sport 2WD
    Blizzard Pearl w/ Tan interior

Options:
    Cold Weather Package
    Carpet/Cargo Mat
    Front Duel Zone CLimate Control
    Leather Seats / heat (3 rows)
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof
    Tow Prep Package
    Navigation
    (Above are all included in Option Package H)
    XM Radio
    All Weather Mats
    and of course "Special Color"

MSRP: 37,005
    "Selling Price": 35,028
    Cap Cost (with GAP and Acq fee): 36,227
    Money Factor: .00158
    Payment: 625 / month

This was purchased in the Cincinnati Region (Tennessee to be exact.)
    did you lease with a lender other than TFS?
    Nope. I looked on-line for other lenders to use, but didn't see any that I actually recognized. So it was TFS for me!
This discussion has been closed.