Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40 Lease Questions

Comments

• sprinkler13sprinkler13 Member Posts: 452
    The MF is likely to be different depending on what bank(s) your dealer is using. They have tons of incentives to use outside banks and they are definitely looking to blow out the remaining 2007s.

We went to one dealer who quoted us for s 2.4i with the select , auto, sirius and lojack for 36 years/15k miles a year for $379/month including tax and $600 at signing for 1st, registration, and doc fee. I was thinking it was a good quote until I went to another dealership and they quoted me on a T5 w/ premium, metalic paint, at $355 month including tax for 36/15k. I ended up going back to my original dealer and asking them about that quote and they ended up getting down to $350/month on a T5 w/ premium (no metalic). We went with this dealer since they had a better color choice than the other dealer with the same basic car. Up front we only had to pay 1st month, registration, and doc fee which came out to like $620 or something.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    you left off your payment on the S40 and your cap cost on both deals.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• lexiconlexicon Member Posts: 7
    I got an offer on an 2007 S40 with the leather select package, 2.4i engine, auto.

MSRP is 29,360.00

Lease
    $316.00/mth including tax
    $570 down
    36 months/ 12k year.

Worth taking it?
    cap cost? money factor? residual?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I'd find out what the cap cost, residual, and MF are for that offer. But, just looking at it, it certainly seems pretty good. There might be some room to play though. FWIW, we just leased a 2007 S40 T5 with Premium for $350/month including tax for 36 months/ 15k year.
  • babutigerbabutiger Member Posts: 1
    There is some confusion on knowing exactly what incentives one can combine with Volvo Finance's August(& labor day weekend) leasing offer for the s40 2.4i. Car_man mentioned earlier this month to take advantage of "the $500 lease cash that Volvo is currently providing on the '07 S40". As people have been posting there is discussion of a $5000 rebate and I see edmund's lists incentives of both $500 and $2250. As I prepare to negotitate this weekend which incentive(s) is available to me when leasing through Volvo Finance?
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    So, did you get a deal completed over the Labor Day holiday?

At least the way it was explained to me when I got my '07 S40 T5 FWD on 8/29 was that there was more $ incentive to lease outside of Volvo finance, so that is what I did. As I posted in the PP forum subearu, "Volvo S40 Prices Paid and Buying Experience" #650, 29 Aug 2007 7:37 pm - all I paid up front was $130 for title/registration/license

-Brian
  • car_man_fancar_man_fan Member Posts: 2
    Car_man. First and foremost, thank you for posting on this website. Your insight is truly valuable.

I am in the market to lease an S40 2.4i (w/climate package). I am interested in a low mileage lease (10,500/year) To that end, I would like to know the following:

1. Currently money factors being offered by Volvo and independent banks;
    2. Residuals figures for the same; and
    3. Any incentives I should be aware of.

Thank you in advance!
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hey sprinkler13. These cars' residual values vary by term and mileage allowance. For now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Volvo Finance's current 36 month, 15,000 mile per year residual value for a 2008 S40 2.4 is 55%. The resid for an otherwise identical lease of an '08 S40 T5 is 54%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    You're very welcome, car_man_fan. With a username like that, you get bumped to the top of the list ;). Volvo Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Volvo S40 2.4i with 10,500 miles per year are .00286 and 58%, respectively. Volvo has a special enhanced money factor of .00109 for stripped versions of this car (ones without any options). Volvo is currently providing a $500 cash incentive on leases of this car through Volvo Finance.

Volvo is providing a $3,250 cash incentive on leases of the '08 S40 2.4i through independent banks, but unfortunately I do not keep tabs on the money factors and resids for anyone other than Volvo Finance.

Car_man
    Host
  • sdotmilessdotmiles Member Posts: 1
    hey car_man(or anyone else),
    any advice you can give me on this deal?

2008 S40 T5 AWD; Titanium gray metallic; Premium Package, climate package and Dynaudio (plus 3 years free scheduled maintenance).

36 Month lease, 12k miles per year
    Residual= 46%
    Money factor= .00250
    MSRP= $35242
    Cap cost= not sure
    Total up front cost= $468
    Monthly payment including 5% MD tax= $468

Is this a good deal?
  • car_man_fancar_man_fan Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response Car_man! Can you provide me with updated money factors, residuals and lease incentives for the month of October (2007 and 2008 S40 2.4i). Thanks again in advance!
  • mickeymouse1mickeymouse1 Member Posts: 49
    Hello:
    For the 2007 Volvo S40 lease, with payment of $350 per month, did you put anything down?
    The only thing we put down was 1st month, registration, doc fee, and upfront tax. I think it was around $600 or so for the total upfront costs.
  • coghencoghen Member Posts: 2
    My lease on 2005 s40 t5 awd is near its end. I've learned that Volvo will/may contact me before the lease is over to see if I am interested in leasing/buying another car from them. Did anyone have Volvo contacting them with offers/incentives before the end of a lease?

Your feedback is appreciated
    LK
    Hi sdotmiles. It is difficult to say for certain without knowing what this car's selling price is, but at first glance this does not look like a very good deal. The lease program that you were quoted is worse than Volvo Finance's current program for this model. Volvo Finance's current buy rate lease money factor for a 36 month lease of a 2008 S40 T5 AWD with 12,000 miles per year are .00099 and 52%, respectively. As you can see, this is better than the program that you were quoted. It is possible that the numbers you were quoted are worse because the dealer is running your deal through an independent bank. If so, then they are able to take advantage of a special $5,750 cash incentive on this car that you should take into account when negotiating the capitalized cost for your lease.

Car_man
    Host
    You're very welcome, car_man_fan. Through the end of the year, Volvo Finance's buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Volvo S40 2.4i with 10,500 miles per year are .00240 and 55%, respectively. Volvo has a special enhanced money factor of .00110 for stripped versions of this car (ones without any options).

Car_man
    Host
  • fatboy8fatboy8 Member Posts: 4
    They sound like good numbers to me. Do you think you could give me the name of the dealer that offered you this. or who the dealership was. Thanks.
    Thanks,
    Steve
  • yllib569yllib569 Member Posts: 4
    Greetings Sprinkler,

I've been looking for a T5 with the same options & mileage you referenced, and none of the dealerships I've spoke with have been even close! I'm in the Bay Area/No. California. Might I ask what part of the country you're in?

Thanks!

Billy
  • suyunappasuyunappa Member Posts: 3
    I think he may have been looking at 07s back in Aug
    Dear CarMan,

I'm finding myself at a bit of a cross roads in my pursuit of an S40 T5, and would appreciate your insights.

Back in August--prior to the new 2008's arriving I had the following offer presented to me, after much haggling:

2007 S40 T5 with..
    Metallic Paint, Premium Package, and dynaaudio
    Miles: 12K/year
    $32,805 - MSRP
    $26,609 - Capital cost reduction

Lease offered: 36 mo., at $330/mo. (payment included sales tax), with $1295 due at signing. I went to the dealership to purchase the car, and fell victim to what felt like a classic bait & switch, as someone else 'had just bought my same car' and it was the last one.

After this offer disappeared, I spoke to four different sales reps. at various dealerships in the month of Sep-Oct., and they told me that these terms no longer even close to possible because the money factor on the 2008 is much higher when the models first come out.

My FICO is north of 740, so I should be able to obtain the most fav. credit terms.
    Of course, being how fickle my wife is, her needs have changed, and she now wants the climate package as well. Also, the more, I read about leasing, the more it seems to make sense to try and obtain a lease with as close to zero out of pocket--or just first months payment. You mentioed in another posting that if I use non-volvo financing, the dealership has an extra $5750 towork with in reducing the cap cost. The MSRP on this car would be $33,792 (per edmunds.com). Okay, so I've written you a bit of an essay here, so allow me to summarize my questions:

1) Now that we're in early December, what is the money factor for a T5? How often does the money factor change?
    2) Does it come down on a predictably downward slop as the year goes on and we approach a new year's model release?
    3) How good an offer did I receive back in August, and is it realistic to expect to be able to obtain such terms at this time of year?
    4) When you say going outside Volvo finance, is that something I tell the dealer, or do I need to show up approved through another bank ready to play ball?
    5) From you experience, how much of that $5750 could I reasonably expect the dealer to part with? Also, they have another $1150 in cash incentives on the back end right now, correct?
    6) Best case scenario, what would assess to be a really good deal, with zero out of pocket, 12k miles, on the car I describe?

I know this is a long one, so thank you in advance!

Billy C
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I took advantage of that incredible lease deal back in August on my '07 T5 FWD. AT, xenons, leather, audio, sirius and my cap was similar to your $26k (MSRP was $34k and change). My dealer handled getting the financing "other than Volvo".

But, you're right, I haven't seen any deals like that since then. You would think that any remaining '07's that it would be possible to deal on 'em, but apparently not on the '08's. At least not yet, anyway.

-Brian
    Hello yllib569. Through January 7th, Volvo Finance's buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 S40 T5 2WD with 15,000 miles per year are .00142 and 51%, respectively. Volvo may indeed lower this model's money factor as the model year progresses, but its residual values will fall as well canceling out much of the benefit. Volvo's lease payments for the S40 will likely remain fairly stable, unless demand for it drops off. If I was in the market for a lease of this car through Volvo Finance right now, I would shoot for a selling price that is as close to dealer invoice as possible and then have the dealer calculate my monthly payment using the aforementioned money factor.

You don't have to get pre-approved to lease this car through an independent bank on your own, the dealer will take care of that for you. If leasing through a bank other than Volvo finance so that you can take advantage of the additional cash incentive will result in the lowest monthly payment, the dealer will likely steer you in this direction. If I was going to lease this car through an independent bank, I personally would want the dealer to subtract the entire cash incentive from you car's selling price.

Car_man
    Host
    Thank you Carman, your reply is exactly what I was looking for.

Just a couple of quick techincal follow up questions if I may: (I'm a mortgage banker, so it's all about the numbers for me.

1) Usin the aforementioned money factor of .00152, do I simply multiply this value by the selling price to produce what my payment should be? I must be missing something, for when I do so, the numbers don't foot. Let's use a selling price of $26000 as our baseline and please walk me through the calculation.
    2) How can I calculate my tcost of money as a true interest rate using the money factor?

Thanks again, you've been a big help.

Billy
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    For help on calculating a lease payment, try here.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

CarMan
    With Kyfdx's gracious assistance and direction to a handy formula
    I computed that the following

$33,392 - MSRP of the S40 T5 with Premium pkg, dynaaudio, climate, & met. paint
    $31,138 - Invoice
    (5750) I subtracted the full $5,750 for using an outside lender
    (750) I know I'm being optimistic, but I subtracted the full cash to dealer current incentive, leaving me a cap cost of $24,638. I then used the formula, and came out with the following:
    Cap cost of $24638 x residual of 51% = $12,565
    Depreciation is $12,073 (cap cost - residual/36 months = $335.36
    Money factor of .00142 x (24368+ 12,750) = $52.71
    I then added $335.36 + $52.71, which gives me a pretax payment of $488.07.

Does that look right? My take away from performing this excercise is that regardless of how low I can get my cap cost, a lousy money factor will really jack the payments, right? You have mentioned in previous posts that Volvo's current lease plan/money factor is not so good. Given my exemplary credit, what range of money factor should I expect to be able to find w/an independent bank on my own?

Thank you again,

Billy C
    I then added $335.36 + $52.71, which gives me a pretax payment of $488.07.

Obviously, you meant $388.07. just clarifying for other readers.

But you did make a fatal mistake.

Cap cost of $24638 x residual of 51% = $12,565

Residual is from the MSRP. So its $33,392 x .51 = 17,029.92. Leaving you about $7600 to pay off. However, you are forgetting several fees that add to the cap cost, such as inception, bank, doc fees, and MVC.

My take away from performing this excercise is that regardless of how low I can get my cap cost, a lousy money factor will really jack the payments, right?

yup. But I think a lousy residual hurts more.

Your calculated MF seems awfully low, however. Last I checked, rates were in the mid .002 range. You can check out leasecompare.com to get an idea.

• paulsazpaulsaz Member Posts: 39
    My 2005 S40 2.4i lease is expiring in April. Carman do you know what the current deals are from Volvo on a new S40? On my last lease Volvo was offering $1000 loyalty cash. I want to try to get in with zero money down and under $300 per month for 3 years. I do have access to the Ford X plan. I will be purchasing in Scottsdale Arizona.
  • fogarty19fogarty19 Member Posts: 7
    Carman, or whoever may be able to help,
    I'm looking to lease a car and i'm thinking about leasing a 2008 volvo s40 T5. I was wondering if anyone knows the current incentives/rebates that Volvo is offering. Also does anyone know what the current residual rate/money factor would be for a 24 month lease at 12,000 miles? The MSRP on the model i want is $33,900. Edmunds.com says i should pay around $31, 052 for that. Does that include any rebates volvo will offer, or is that the number i should aim to get them down to prior to including any rebates on top?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
  • volgirlvolgirl Member Posts: 7
    Hello,
    I am a sales consultant for Volvo and own a S40 T5 myself. I leased my car last july I believe, and since I do work for Volvo I am very satisfied with the deal I was able to give myself. Let me share with you what I got b/c it doesnt seem like much b/c Volvo doesnt offer very much incentives for the T5. So don't be turned off if your dealer isn't very flexible (they're not given much room). My car is the 2007 S40 T5 FWD at msrp of $33,005 and cap cost was $30,000. 36 months 15,000 miles per year I pay $472.00/month including tax with $500 down. So I guess what I'm saying to you is if you can beat this deal or match it, you've done very well for yourself. I know my dealership's gross profit on this car was NEGATIVE NEGATIVE! I love my car to death and wouldnt drive anything else and is definitly worth the money. I hopes this gives you a good idea where to start with negotiating. Good luck!
    thanks for the info. I just got quoted on a 2008 s40 T-5 MSRP 33,000 with a net cap of 28,000 which i was happy with. The surprise for me was that on a 36 month lease at 12,000 miles they are only giving me a 43% residual. That seems really low to me. The interest rate is ok at 3%. All in all at 0 down it is $460 a month with tax which seems like an ok deal, but i was hoping to get it around $430 with tax
    an update on the deal for this car, if anyone cares or has an opinion on it i would appreciate any help.

I talked with the dealer and got him down a little. The MSRP is 33,000. They dropped it to 31,000 (invoice is 30,800). Then they took off the $6000 incentive so it comes down to 25,000 (but you have to have $995 in volvo/bank fees so the Net Cap is 25995). As for a net cap i think that is a very good deal. However, to get the $6000 off i have to go through volvo's outside lender who screws me with the residual and the money factor. the residual rate is 43% and the money factor is .00202 (or 4.92%).

when you calculate it out, see below, at $0 down, it comes to about $408 a month pre-tax and 429 with 5% sales tax (MA) for a 36 month lease at 12,000 miles.

MSRP- 33,014 x .43= 14196
    25995 - 14196= 11, 798
    11, 798/36= 327.95
    25995 + 14196= 40191 x .00202= 81

327 + 81= 408

408 x .05 = 20 in tax a month

408 + 20= 429 a month with tax with $0 money down

this seems like a decent deal to me, any opinions? does anyone think i can get them to drop it a little more (ie from 31,000 to say 30,000 or 30,500)?
  • gforce11gforce11 Member Posts: 225
    Do they have turn in fees? If so, how much. I made the mistake of not paying attention to that....its gonna cost me a whopping 650 bucks to turning my car at the nd of the lease. Personally I think the deal sucks. Cars with bad residuals and high MFs make leases because it essentially eats away all the discounts they give you. S40 seems to be a car you should buy (assuming you love it) instead of lease. I'd rather pay a drive-off of around $1000 and drive away with an Acura TL for a similar monthly.
    Does anyone know the March numbers for the 2.4i? Also does Volvo have any specials for current Volvo owners?
    Anyone have the March S40 numbers?
    Hi paulsaz. It's great that you are able to purchase, or in this case lease I guess, the S50 that you want through the X-Plan. As you know, this guarantees that you will get a great price without having to haggle. I don't believe that Volvo is currently offering any loyalty cash on this model, but it does have a $500 cash incentive on leases of it through Volvo Finance. Volvo Finance is currently running a special lease program on base versions of this car. It you were to lease a base 2008 S40 2.4i through Volvo Finance right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value would be .00008 and 47%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi fogarty19. I have heard that for some reason Volvo is not currently providing lease support on any S40 trim levels except for stripped 2.4i models. If this is true and you wanted to lease an '08 S40 T5 through Volvo Finance, you would have to use its absurd standard money factor of .00438. You will likely find that you are better off taking advantage of the large cash incentive that Volvo is providing on leases of this car through independent banks, something like $5,500, instead of leasing through Volvo Finance.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi paulsaz. I have heard that the only S40 model that Volvo is currently offering lease support on through Volvo Finance is the base 2.4i. Volvo Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease for a stripped 2008 S40 2.4i with 15,000 miles per year are .00008 and 47%, respectively. If you want to lease any other version of this car, you would probably be better off doing so through an independent bank. Volvo is providing large cash incentives on S40 models that are leased through banks other than its captive finance company. I believe its cash allowance on leases of '08 S40 2.4i models through independent banks is currently $4,500.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi paulsaz. Please see my previous post. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Car_man
    Host
  • francekfrancek Member Posts: 1
    I just went into the Volvo dealership and I think they tried to take me for a ride. I am looking for 2.4i, 5 speed manual, non leather, but I do want the select package which cost 2,000 MSRP but thats it. It comes out to 27,680 MSRP. I have the A-plan because my brother works for Ford motor company.

The salesmen gave me a rough price of 399 plus tax with 945 down for 36 months with only 12000 miles a year.

With the A-plan I get invioce price with no doc fees. I thought this price they quoted me seems really high for a car that cost in low 22,000 area after A-plan.

Please let me know what you guys think about the price and where the price should be for a 36 month at 15000 miles a year.

THANK YOU!
    Carman thanks for the previous info, now that it is April--do you have the April numbers on the base S40 2.4i? I still have my X-plan pin number and currently have a S40 lease about to expire. Is Volvo offering any loyalty cash? I would like to try to get the same type of deal I had three years ago: No down payment and $257 per month for 36 months/ 10,000 miles per year.
  • quick5quick5 Member Posts: 3
    Wats up carman I am 21 years old this summer and I just got a new job where I make 28,000 annually. I have been fascinated with the volvo s40 since i first saw it in 2005. I am undecided I want to buy it but part or me thinks it would make more sense to lease. the msrp for one i selected is 29,825 and the invoice is 27702. is it even practical to want to get this as my first car? I've been told i have expensive taste but i think leasing it wouldn't be that bad 3 years isn't bad. Please help also I don't kno that much about leasing just that i may or may not have to pay a fee at the end or how much i wud haveto pay to buy the car afterwards. any insight is greatly appreciated.. I live in Queens NY
  • gforce11gforce11 Member Posts: 225
    Hey Quick5, i don't think you need to ask Carman about that. Haahaa. I would say based on the income you make, even leasing that car will become a financial burden for you down the road. Leasing isn't as clean cut as buying in my opinion. It's got a lot provisions/limitations etc...Make sure you learn everything you can about leasing before you even consider it (such as how to calculate the lease, fees, restrictions, liabilities, turn in fees, etc...) The first car I ever got for myself was a 325i....man I paid through the nose to maintain that "expensive taste" of mine.
    You could find yourself a nice CPO one for less than a new Honda.

CPO? lol immmm veryy neww to this
    so would u recommend me just finance it n buy it or is the point ur getting at to just settle for cheaper ? lol
    CPO = certified pre-owned

CPO carries a warranty that lasts for longer than the factory warranty, in many cases, and you've avoided the steepest deprecation on the vehicle (the first 2-3 years). Its really a great way to go.

• nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    has anyone traded in a near end of lease s40 t5 awd, my last payment is 6/1 i want to get my wife a new vw jetta se. the lease company gave me 3 options buy it, bring it back during june or have the dealer get a "trade quote" it has 28kmiles it's red.
    so any suggestions or do i just have to wait. it doesn't have to be a t5 perhaps any end of lease trade in option
    thanks
  • aeropostelaeropostel Member Posts: 18
    Hey car-man

any idea where i should be at on a 48 month 12k/year lease on an s40 2.4i automatic, leather package

im looking to be at about 250 or so a month with no more than 2000 total out of pocket
    is that feasible?

Thanks
  • koolkinkajoukoolkinkajou Member Posts: 15
    If you do this ( it is usually called an lease aquisition fee) then I have bridge to sell you in Brooklyn!

The whole point of a lease is to keep money in your pocket and how can you do this if you are donating money to the car dealers FU money fund? :mad:

Remember you are NOT buying the car so why put money down on something you don't own? You put money down on a House and a "Purchased Car". Tell me when you rent a car do you give the rental car a down payment so you can lower the daily rate? When you rent a hotel room do you give the hotel a down payment so you won't have to pay the daily hotel rate? When you are leasing a car, you are simply RENTING it for a long time. The only way you will be able to compare leases between different cars is when you are ONLY comparing lease length, lease payments and mileage. Some people will say "Oh I'm putting money down so I can buy the car cheaper at the end of the lease". I'll leave it to others to tell you what a stupid argument this is on so many different levels. You should ALWAYS be able to negotiate this "Lease acquisition fee" completely away when you negotiate the sales (lease) price of the car.

Remember dealers love you suckers who buy leases for thousands down. :blush:
    They tell stories about these morons at Dealer parties and take their girl friends ( and yours if you are so stupid) on romantic trips to Europe to tour the BMW factories with your hard earned money! :surprise:
This discussion has been closed.