Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• shawn1980shawn1980 Member Posts: 3
    Well, turned out to be the air bag modulator. It wasn't too much work for the shop to figure out what the problem was. Apparently they have a special scanner for that, it’s called a Tech 2 scanner. It wasn't the cheapest thing to have repaired, it was just under $500, but without it the air bags wouldn't have deployed, had I needed them too.
  • gmfangmfan Member Posts: 188
    Did you have any warranty left? I would be pretty hot if my 02 did this? How many miles on your vehicle.
  • jbadershalljbadershall Member Posts: 1
    Ive had this happen numerous times. It was 'fixed'-they replaced some part, and told me to turn my heat on (floor)
    when i start the car in the cold?? -Well that hasnt worked. I was driving down the highway at 70 mph, when both SES & red. eng. power came on-- nearly bringing me to a halt...I was able to savely move to the break down lane. But this is extremely dangerous. Any advice? I find that if i turn the car off, then back on, the red. eng. pow. light goes off, but check eng. stays on.. It will go out a while later after the car is off then turned back on. --Does this have anything to do with using a remote starter? This only happens to me when its COLD and I use REMOTE START?
    HELP-- before i get into a serious accident!
  • sammykrasssammykrass Member Posts: 4
    We have a 2004 Tb EXT AWD Trans with v8 and there is some sort of problem also involving the awd. When the car is put in 4hi, the car vibrates and makes loud noise when turning....all of this only in 4hi. The engine is also whining when in awd between 20-40 mph..................any suggestions

(sry this doesnt ans ur question......) :confuse:
  • shawn1980shawn1980 Member Posts: 3
    I'm over 70,000 so I haven't had a warranty for awhile. It really didn't bother me too much to pay it because I'd rather know that the air bags are going to work how they're supposed to.
  • ablouinablouin Member Posts: 1
    Then engine on my '03 TB dies when idle. I took it to a neighborhood mechanic & replaced the battery. Two days later it died again while idling. I took it to the dealer who reset the computer, cleaned the throttle body, & fuel injection. Now two weeks later, my TB interior lights are flashing on while driving & the reduced engine power light comes on. I have already spent over $600 in a matter of weeks on this vehicle. Any ideas what's going on?
  • patterjcpatterjc Member Posts: 2
    i have 02 TB the fans revs high and it does not want to get into the higher gears you had mentioned that it was a seperate prob all together could you explain further??? In cold weather we are having problems going over 35 mph sometimes even 25.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Sounds like your transmission is not shifting right if it won't go into higher ranges. This is different from the fan noise problem that occurs but otherwise it runs normally. Sounds like you need to have it looked at.
  • bigbassguy1bigbassguy1 Member Posts: 10
    75K miles, noticing loud clunking noise from drivers side front end when I go over small bumps. Sounds like if you drive over a loose manhole cover.

I had the shocks checked out, no leaking and seemed to be in decent shape.

Any ideas?
  • indybreezeindybreeze Member Posts: 1
    I am starting to dislike my trailblazer! The most recent thing to happen is that the heater fan won't even come on even if I let it warm up a bit. It's cold in Indiana, I prefer heat. The ABS light, Brake light, 4WD light, and sometimes some of the other dashboard lights come on and no heat. The battery power stays around 15. Should I get a new battery? This is starting to make me mad the thing only has 36,000 miles on it with it! Any ideas on the heater?
  • treefarntreefarn Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same thing happen. Air bag light went on a couple weeks ago and stayed on. The seat belt light went on and off periodically.

I just had it repaired. it was the air bag module, replaced for a little under $500.

There was a recall for air bag modules for vehicle manufactured beween May and August, but mine was made in April. I was a little peeved to have to pay that amount of money but I was told the air bags wouldn't deploy while that light was on.
    You might check to see if your hood is rattling. Mine did this and the dealer found my hood was not quite resting correctly when closed. Dealer made a few adjustments and it was fixed, and have not had any problems since. Let us know.
  • brytblzrbrytblzr Member Posts: 1
    You might want to check the front swaybar end links. My '02 only has 28,000 and they need replaced. If you have the tools it is a do-it-yourself job. Moog replacements have been the ones talked about most. I've seen the noise categorized that it sounds like loose lumber.
  • member12member12 Member Posts: 6
    The only problem I had with mine was the crappy OEM tires. Mine came with the 16" BFgoodrich Open Trail tires. They rode good, but they had poor traction off road, and downright scary on a wet highway. I spun out on two separate occasions. I replaced the tires at 30K miles because I got stuck with them, and in the process of getting out, the two rear tires went flat. The had some tread left. I got the BFgoodrich All Terrain tires as a replacement. They were expensive, but they perform better on every surface. The new ones are louder and slightly harder than the OEM tires.
    I have an 2002 TB. Good vehicle. Question: If you are driving down the road and unclick your seatbelt, is the seatbelt icon supposed to appear on the instrument panel and make a noise? I thought mine used to do this, especially at startup when the chime used to ring. It is not a big deal since I always buckle up- but just curious.

Thanks.

GmFan
  • gmoudygmoudy Member Posts: 67
    It will not chime. The icon will come on.
  • pregan1pregan1 Member Posts: 2
    Maybe check TSB 05-01-37-002, May 2005
    Poor Rear Heat Performance (Install Auxiliary Heater Pump)
    2003-2005 TrailBlazer EXT
    Condition: Some customers may complain of poor 2nd and/or 3rd row seating heater performance when the vehicle is at idle.
    Cause: This condition may be due to lack of coolant circulation to the rear heater core.
    Correction: Install auxiliary heater pump package. (P/N 89024885 L6, 89024886, V8) This pump will improve coolant flow to the rear heater core.
  • corrinas30corrinas30 Member Posts: 11
    This happened with my '02 Trailblazer too. It turned out
    to be the transmision mount.
  • jonpotterjonpotter Member Posts: 1
    My trailblazer is having the same promblems. The back door will not lock now. We changed the battery in the key fob and it worked one time. Now nothing works. I know it a relay bad some where but i dont know what and where this relay is. when I go to the dealer it would cost an arm and leg just for them to talk to about their compies problems. Can any one tell me where to find that relay and how much it will cost me
  • lmolcaklmolcak Member Posts: 1
    We just had an accident with our '02 Trailblazer, where the Radiator was wrecked and had to be replaced. Before it finally got into the shop, it had to be jumped, due to cold here in canada. Now we have got it back, but the heating controls and display will not turn on. Is there some sort of a reset I can do on the system? Has it been shorted? The rear heating controls still work, and the heat turns on, but I am wondering if anyone has had this problem, or how it is fixed. Thanks.
  • hunter17hunter17 Member Posts: 2
    My 04 trailblazers service engine soon light flickers on ocass while coasting between 30-45 mph. Also if I brake in between those speeds the abs breaks feel like they come on and the service engine soon light comes back on.
    This has happened since I bought it brand new. The service dept's computer says nothing is wrong, and it will not "assimilate" for them! help!
  • hunter17hunter17 Member Posts: 2
    Any luck with the service engine soon light? what exactly did it do? mine flickers on between 35- 45 mph while coasting. and if I brake in between these speeds the abs brakes come on and the light flickers again.
  • djweez32djweez32 Member Posts: 1
    "You might check to see if your hood is rattling. Mine did this and the dealer found my hood was not quite resting correctly when closed. Dealer made a few adjustments and it was fixed, and have not had any problems since. Let us know. "
    ---SAME EXACT PROBLEM THIS ANNOYED ME FOR 2 YEARS AND I FINALLY FOUND THE PROBLEM. ANYONE WITH FRONT END NOISE TRY POPPING YOUR HOOD RELEASE AND DRIVING OVER LITTLE BUMPS IF YOU DON'T HEAR THE NOISE ANYMORE THEN YOU KNOW THE HOOD ISNT RESTING IN THE RIGHT POSITION IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE IN.
  • tb_ext_05tb_ext_05 Member Posts: 1
    I just baught a 2005 TB EXT LS and the owners manual says to change the Transmission fluid and filter every 50,000 - 100,000 and 150,000.
  • deano9deano9 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '02 Trailblazer with 100,000 miles on it. Just wondering if anyone out there has had a tune-up yet. If it's running fine, do I really need to change the spark plugs?
  • grahamrugrahamru Member Posts: 1
    :confuse:
    I am having an electrical problem of sorts with my new 2005 TB LS. When I decelerate or go down a hill without pressing the accelerator my headlights flicker on and off. Sometimes the gauge lights will also flicker, but not as frequently as the headlights. After an hour or so of driving this tends to go away. I have also noticed this problem under some acceleration conditions as well. This troubled me greatly and gone as far as to take it in to have it checked.

The Dealer did a full battery test and concluded NOTHING was wrong! However, they did say that similar problems have been reported in other Chevy/GM products, most notably the Hummer. They gave me a TSB and indicated that the problem was likely the on-board computer was unable to properly adjust voltage.

Anyone else out there experience this problem with the TB or other GM vehicles? Anyone know of any solutions to this problem?

This has me GREATLY worried as at night it appears I am turning my lights on and off!

Thanks
  • awrcingaawrcinga Member Posts: 1
    I've had the same problems out of my 2005 TrailBlazer. The lights and guages flicker when breaking, coasting and sometimes accelerating. Also I've had problems with my ABS and Check Engine Light coming on when Driving short distances. It feels as if the ABS kicks in quite often when hitting the breaks. Most of the time this is when my lights and guages flicker.

I have taken mine into the dealership 2 times now. They have changed my alternator both times, checked my computer system and my breaks, they say nothing is wrong, but the problems still continue. Someone told me that maybe I should look into having a high output alternator installed by the dealership. This may eliminate these problems. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Please email me at wryancarey@charter.net if you do.
  • sabrinaann14sabrinaann14 Member Posts: 1
    I too am having this same problem with my 2005 TB. My instrument lights and head lights flicker dim to bright. It happened in Oct 05 and we took it in and were told there wasn't anything wrong. It happened again last Sat. and we took it in and were told once again that there is nothing wrong. It's going up to the dealership today again for them to look at. I have done some research and see several forums with people complaining about this but I have not found anyone with a solution. I was told that they absolutely will not change out parts unless their diagnostic computer tells them there is a specific issue. I feel ripped off because I have a brand new car I debate driving-I am always leary of driving at night now. Any solutions or possible answers?
    If I was in your shoes, I would change the drive belt, change the tranny fluid and filter, and go ahead and do the spark plugs. You might consider doing a coolant/anti-freeze flush also.

That is all I would do.
  • jennmwjennmw Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone had this problem? It worked a couple months ago but when we tried it this weekend the lights didn't come on and we didn't feel it go into 4 wheel drive in either hi or lo.
  • janalyzerjanalyzer Member Posts: 1
    Hi, just a week ago purchased an '05 Trailblazer...was wondering if the sound I am hearing when starting and during shut-off is normal - comes from the instrument panel, sounds like a compressor letting out air - that's about the best way I can describe it, all the gauge markers go back to the left position while this sound is happening, makes this sound upon starting also, is this normal? Thanks for ANY possible help, until I can get back to the dealer, I need some reassurance I guess. :cry:
  • homesellerhomeseller Member Posts: 7
    You can change the Trans Fluid every 5000 miles and it will not matter. The Sun Gears in the trans are junk.

When you get into traffic on a summer day you will see your water temp go up to as high as 230 if the A/C is on. The dealer will tell you that is not a problem and the motor can run at 240. The motor may handle that temp but the sun gear in the trans will not.
  • homesellerhomeseller Member Posts: 7
    I have an 02 Trailblazer. I had this system worked on last July when air from heat and A/C would only work though the defrost and not the dash vents or floor.

When I had it worked on. They tore my dash apart and said the arms that work the vents were made of plastic and had broken. They said they had to have the system reset by a GM Dealer. Cost over $700.00 dollars.

The problem has started all over. Air though defrost and very little though dash vents, none though floor. The system in the back of SUV works OK.

Remember the good old days when this Kind of stuff never broke?

Any ideas on a possible reset?
  • iavantiavant Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Trailblazer. Its been in the shop several times already for the check engine soon light.They replace the sensor, injection pump w/Relay and relay and 02 sensor and the light came back on after a one day. had anyone had the same problem I had to drop the truck back off to the dealer again to try to get it fixed
  • daleb2daleb2 Member Posts: 8
    Same thing is happening here on a 2005 TB LS just started the other day. There are recent complaints at the NHTSA (Government) about this problem with both the Trailblazer and Envoy
  • davis11davis11 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the same exact problem with my headlights and gauges flickering and dimming in my new 2005 TB LS. This has been going on for the past 5 months and I have had the car for only 6 months. The dealership has been trying to find the problem but it will not do it for them. I have been stopped by the police 2 times for driving with faulty equipment. If anyone has any answers that may help me out that would be great.
  • lsmith5lsmith5 Member Posts: 1
    I also Have a 2002 trailblazer and the 4x4 is not working. Have you taken it to a shop yet?
  • jennmwjennmw Member Posts: 5
    Nope, not yet, you?
  • lagelage Member Posts: 5
    I have had this problem a few times. They replaced the switch once. The other 2 tiomes the computer lost its memory and the dealer had to reprogram it. GM has a problem in this area of the trailblazer.
    I have a 2003 4 x 4 Trailblazer with the 4.2L engine. At 45,000 KM the engine started using oil. It was using a liter every 1,100 KM. The dealer replaced the piston rings but no change. They finally had to put a new cylinder head on it and it is fine now. They told me that 2 valve guides were scored letting oil into the engine. For the record the oil is changed by the dealer every 5,000 KM. I now have 100,000 KM on it and it runs good. No other major problems except a rattle noise in front suspension when going over rough surfaces. I had to replace the sway links in the front suspension. They were worn out. They need a grease nipple on them GM engineers!
    Make sure your gas cap is tight.
    You neeed to replace the sway links. they are worn out.
  • downfielddownfield Member Posts: 1
    My sister owns a 04 TB that has the same dimming issue. Here's what I have found from a good friend that's a top notch tech: Its very common he says and the correct is simple, they have upgraded the alt... and the problem has not happened since.He said its a diode that has gone bad.
    There were posts on the earlier models that had experienced this same problem you describle. My 02 has done it since day one...I never took it back to the dealer since mine is not that bad. I believe it is the tachometer instrument cluster...try this, while the car is in idle, turn radio and fan off, and race the engine to 1300 rpms...if the noise changes, it is the tachometer. I always drive with the fan on postion #1 and it drowns out the noise. Dealer should be aware of this problem since several on this forum have posted free replacement when done under 3/36 warranty. Let us know.

Gmfan
  • imduramacimduramac Member Posts: 1
    Wow!I am new here but looks like the problems with the TB aren't.My wifes '04 TB keeps throwing DTC P0410,which is secondary air injection.I replaced the sensors on the exhaust and cat,had code erased and few days later back on.Replaced the relay for the air pump and one in the fuse box in engine compartment.A day later,back on again.Anyone have this or similar problem?Also,now we are also getting the lights dimming and amp gauge dips.I read somewhere that it could be a diode in the alternator going bad and that they have a upgraded alt.I will have a shop check mine and see if it is that.
  • trlblzrtrlblzr Member Posts: 2
    I just had to change the switch on my 03 EXT 4X4 ($130.00) because it would switch in and out of 4 wheel drive. Perhaps that is the problem.
  • stubbs425stubbs425 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 TB. Several times the instrument panel has just gone out. It comes back alive after waiting to start again for a while. Now, I hear 3-4 loud clicking noises right after the engine starts. It sounds like it is coming from inside the dash around the defroster vent area. Has anyone experienced this before. Of course, the warranty has been out for quite a while. :confuse:
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    That clicking noise you hear is the mode door actuator. There's a replacement part and procedure (special puller tool) to replace it without taking the dash apart. We just had it done on our 02 under our GMPP plan after putting up with it for some time. I don't have the link but there's a short article in GM Tech Link that describes it.
  • nick32nick32 Member Posts: 1
    My 02 TB has a terrible squeaking from the belt area but when I turn the steering wheel it stops. Is there any way to fix this without replacing the whole power steering pump and pulley. :confuse:
  • mjr15197mjr15197 Member Posts: 13
    For those whose headlights and interior lights flicker for apparently no reason while driving, try letting your truck idle for 20 seconds before driving. On the 04 and 05s with the I6 engine there is a pollution control device called a Secondary Air Injection pump.

Every time you start your car it runs diagnostic checks on this system. First it runs a "passive" test. If it passes the test, it stops testing. If it fails the passive test it runs an "active" test. Apparently this active test draws quite a bit of juice threrefore the lights flicker.

By letting the truck idle for 20 seconds before driving away it should allow the passive test to pass. According to TSB 05-08-42-001 this should work 99% of the time.

The light flickering drove me nuts the one time it happend to me!