Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 and newer Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon

Comments

• saratogalakesaratogalake Member Posts: 19
    I think lighted volume controls on the steering wheel would be nice but almost impossable to see (since there behind the other radio controls) without moving your head to the right and down. This takes your eyes off the road.. The + control does have a little indent on the back and the - control does not. This makes it easy to figure out and use. I have not had a problem.. By the way, I have over 21,500 miles on my 2007 Tahoe. With the exception of the failure of the CD player right from the factory (it was replaced in 3 days and works perfect now) I'm 100% happy with my purchase. I traded a 1996 GMC Yukon with 143,000 miles for it. Steve
  • csprickcsprick Member Posts: 21
    LOL. Didn't mean to generate all this discussion, I was just driving around one night and suddenly remembered that my new Tahoe has volume controls on the steering wheel. I had never used them, since I'm a rather large guy with long arms and accustomed to simply using the dash controls. Anyhow, I fumbled around for them and, while at a stop light, looked for them but never discovered them until I got home in the garage. Now I use them all the time, since I know where they are, and yes, I can find them by feel just fine. I actually can see them from my normal steering wheel and head/driving position and by glancing down, just as well as the other wheel mounted controls.

Anyhow, I didn't know if they were supposed to be lighted or not. Now I know, so no big deal. I've never yet owned a vehicle without finding something that could have been done better, IMHO, but I'm an engineer, so that's probably natural.

The fuel filter, however is new news and a BUMMER ! Thanks for making my day, bk777! ;)

Even with that knowledge, I do love my 07 Tahoe. I'm old enough to have owned the original Chevy Blazers, before the term "SUV" existed. They were great also and about the size of the Tahoes -- I hauled a lot of Boy Scouts around South Texas in mine -- it was perfect.
  • 73shark73shark Member Posts: 325
    I forgot to mention that it doesn't idle in V4 mode because it would shake your eye teeth out.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Yup. I managed to kill my battery during my first weekend of ownership (long story- but left the key in ACC and the radio / Nav on overnight in my garage). Fearing the possibility of killing some electronic gidget, I religiously followed the jumpstarting procedures in the Owner's Manual. When it started, everything was going haywire. Between some stuff being 'forgotten' because of the lack of juice and the loss of communications between different systems when the power was gone, it's no wonder. One of the interesting things was the "Reduced Engine Power" message that was displaying along with the engine surging, stumbling, etc. for the 15 minutes I let it run to build up enough juice in the battery. As far as I can tell part of the engine issue was that it was switching back and forth between 4 and 8 cylinder mode will sitting in neutral trying to idle..

Two restarts (5 minutes apart) later, and everything seemed back to normal, except for the Check Engine light. It took the dealership resetting a code to get rid of that one..
  • dlmart2dlmart2 Member Posts: 6
    I purchased some aftermarket 22" rims/tires for my 07 Denali and my "tire monitor service" light is on, as I was told it would be by the company I purchased the rims from...they told me that if it comes on to take the vehicle to the dealer to have them adjust the monitoring service for the tire pressure etc.; well I went to the dealer today and they told me there is nothing that can be done and the light will always be on because they are after-market rims/tires and that the original rims/tires had the monitoring device in it, in which the computer now can't read..and I would just have to live with the warning light being on.

This seems lame. Doesn anyone else have any experience with this. I feel like the GMC service dept was blowing smoke up my rear...so I wanted to see if anyone else had this issue? Any fixes?
    I want to upgrade to HID headlights but have no idea what it takes. I don't plan on doing it myself, as I have absolutely no electric or install skills, so I plan on paying a company to install them (btw they will charge $150 is that good or bad?); but I need to know exactly what type of lights to purchase. Can someone post the exact parts/part number, quantity etc for each item and a suggested place to purchase them from so I can order them and take them to the installer?

I have a 2007 Denali and would like the blue or purple look. Thanks in advance!
  • highsheriffhighsheriff Member Posts: 11
    The below attached site is one that was posted several months ago as being a good place to buy HID upgrades.
    http://highintensityxenon.com/products/description.php?II=2&PA=0
  • highsheriffhighsheriff Member Posts: 11
    delmart2 at their site it gives a list of different selections of what type color you want for the end results.
  • gfraigungfraigun Member Posts: 70
    Hello, did you by chance get that in writing that the DSP is included? I'd like to have a private chat about this. Would you email me at ap051@yahoo.com. I'd like to compare what you were told versus what I was told.
    Did anyone at the dealership tell you before you bought your truck that you would have DSP or Audiopilot?
    Rwerner, did anyone ad the dealership tell you that you would have the CenterPoint or DSP before you bought the Tahoe?
    thank you!!!
  • sovereignmgmtsovereignmgmt Member Posts: 30
    You need to have tire new pressure sensors installed in the wheels. Not a big deal or expense.

Here they are on eBay;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-TIRE-SENSORS-2007-CHEVY-TAHOE-SUBURBAN-YUKON-DE- NALI-X_W0QQitemZ140078562037QQihZ004QQcategoryZ33747QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • rockman59rockman59 Member Posts: 250
    Not a big deal or expense
    It gets better, some aftermarket wheels will not accept the old style sensors (green with metal stems) they will only accept the newer style sensors with rubber stems. If this is true in your case as it was in mine, you will need to buy the newer style directly from GMC @ approximately $115 each. I have not seen them listed on e-bay yet. Now for the bad news, Depending on where your Tahoe is registered, it may not pass a DOT inspection with a warning lamp on indicating a bad or missing sensor, that is defiantly the case here in NY.
  • tony97gttony97gt Member Posts: 20
    Don't ask me if this works or not- but I was inquiring about the same problem at a local tire shop. The owner said if you put one of the sensors in your glove box it will turn off the light. Try it, if it doesnt work try and put them all in there. Let me know.
  • rockman59rockman59 Member Posts: 250
    Just exactly how do these sensors work? Is it some type of RF that the sensor sends to the dash to keep the warning light turned off? These sensor units must transmit some type of signal if you can put one in your glove box and turn off the warning. (Assuming that actually works)
  • valvestudvalvestud Member Posts: 35
    As each wheel rotates a sensor mounted on the suspension near each wheel communicates to the wheel sensor (pressure transducer) and receives current pressure.
  • ltzinltzin Member Posts: 15
    I had my Tahoe in for the the windshield wiper problem and had them look at the power lift gate. When it would reach full open it would make a clunk. They look at it and had to replace the control module because it was coming apart. So if your lift gate is making a louder noise have it looked at
  • race1race1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have about 1200 miles on a new LTZ. Which I love. I noticed that the headliner in the rear squeaks loudly around the 3rd row dome light. There is a clear plastic on plastic squeak when that is pressed or while driving. All other areas of headliner are fine. Overall fit/finish excellent. Any thoughts or remedies on plastic on plastic noise?
    Thanks,
    Have you asked the dealership. It might just be a mis-fitting item that will take them a few minutes to fix.
  • hardin_thickehardin_thicke Member Posts: 35
    This comes way too late for rwerner, but it may clear up any confusion. I'm familiar with all of the Bose automotive amplifiers because I'm an EE for the company. The amp used in the Tahoe is assigned to a team of engineers of which I belong to. The Tahoe does not have CenterPoint but the amplifier does employ digital signal processing (DSP). The amp in the Tahoe is a 5000 series amp. We assign project names to most of our amp designs at rollout which are used internally to easily identify them. The amp in the Tahoe is referred to as "Lugnut". As with all of our amps, each vehicle model's interior is EQ'd with complex microphones resulting in a EQ curve that is loaded into the amp's processor each time the system is powered up. The more complex amps actually use a different EQ for cloth versus leather interiors. Because so many things can be tweaked to the signal in the digital realm, analog signals are passed through analog to digital converters, or CODEC's as they are known. After processing is complete, the signal is passed back thru the CODEC's where it's sent to the final power amplifiers. The CenterPoint feature found in the Yukon Denali, as well as AudioPilot use a completely different amplifier (a 6000 amp), and consequently a totally different wiring harness. While it's possible to retrofit the Tahoe with the 6000 amp, it would require the removal of many interior components. I would imagine that GM would balk at performing such a request.
  • scott5000scott5000 Member Posts: 2
    Exact same model and build month here on my LTZ and exact same problem. Truck is tight as a drum everywhere else. Must have been a problem on the line. I hope they come out with a TSB fix because I would hate for the dealer to have to tear apart the entire headliner and start doing exploritory surgery on my brand new baby.
  • junglegeorgejunglegeorge Member Posts: 129
    Whats the wiper issue????
  • ltzinltzin Member Posts: 15
    They would just come on and start spraying washer fliud and won't stop till the truck is turned off. it happened 3 times to mine and the dealer said they found a short in the wiper switch and r2 it.
  • sovereignmgmtsovereignmgmt Member Posts: 30
    This happened to me once on the front. The dealer looked it up and showed me a bulletin that said when the heated washer fluid gets to hot this may happen.

I hope it's not a sign of a problem to come.
    I'm seeking some advice from anyone who has installed side window covers/vent shades/wind deflectors (or whatever their real name is)on their Tahoe/Yukon.

Most of the local auto parts stores seem to not yet have any listed for the 2007 model, but do for 2006 and earlier. Will they fit OK?

Do they, in fact, allow you to crack the windows an inch or two and keep out the rain?

What kind are "best" - in-channel or the stick on above the window type?

Any recommendations by brand/manufacturer?

Do you notice an increase in wind noise after they are installed?

Any other comments or advice?

TIA.

Chuck
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    Chuck,

Have you checked the Weather Tech (URL Below)?
    http://www.weathertech.com/store/vehsearch.asp?item_group_id=4&make_id=11&year_n- - o=2007&veh_id=150&veh_opt_choice_id=0

Its installed in the window channel rather than using 3M tape to the outside of the window frame. It does a nice job venting during a rainy day and keeping the wind noise down. However, I don't really care for the front D/P side shades as they are kinda in my view when I look out the windows and at the side rear view mirrors... at least that was my initial thought about the shades, but, I am now all used to that now. Good Luck!
  • socaltahoesocaltahoe Member Posts: 8
    Out driving around and realized that since I had started it, the radio (w/ Nav) was muted. I did not have the mute button on, tried changing the station, figured it might have been an XM problem so switched over to FM. Not only did no sound come out, but the XM station name overwrote the FM station name. Pulled over, turned the car off, then back on, everything worked OK then. Anyone had this issue?
  • wildhorsemanwildhorseman Member Posts: 2
    I had my '07 Denali in for a separate problem (confounded transmission woes at 600 miles!), and asked the service manager at the GMC dealer if they'd look into a squeak around the rear domelight, just where you describe. He mentioned that they'd had several complaints, and that he have the service tech put some "insulation" around the light, which should (and did) take care of the problem. Took about 2 minutes to alleviate the problem. Now if they could just get the transmission fixed!
  • junglegeorgejunglegeorge Member Posts: 129
    Yes, several times. Either the radio has no sound, or does not work at all, some times the parking assist does not work, or something else. After several trips to the service department, where everything worked fine, I waited until the radio did not work, and drove strait to the shop without shutting the truck off. Everything in the Tahoe communicates over a serial CAN buss. Occasionally, the buss fails to talk to different modules. Re-starting the vehicle sends a new serial signal to all modules. In my case I has set 20+ trouble codes and GM is going to change the Body Control Module. Good luck. George
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    I was seriously considering trading my Range Rover for an '07 LTZ because, well I am tired of utilizing the outstanding warranty coverage.
    After reading these posts, recognizing the fact that Chevy will not provide loaners, pick up or drop off my jalopy at my office or wash it when they are done working on it, I think I will stick with the Brits!
    Thanks for posting your problems!!!
    As a design engineer for the audio amplifiers in the Tahoe I fully understand the problem you are experiencing. GM has their hands full trying to coordinate all of their supplier's equipment that uses the CAN bus. It can be a mess at times during the design process, and some of the bus problems can occasionally make their way into the production vehicle. I remember an instance where several of our engineers were sent into the field and spent a week just cranking the engines in the problem cars of the GM executives in an attempt to recreate the bus collision.
  • scott5000scott5000 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply, I was contemplating just pulling the light out myself and throwing some foam insulation in there, but I guess I will just let the dealer do it.
    Thanks for the link. I'm currently scoping out every SUV I see with shades installed to decide what I want to install. I'll probably get arrested or shot at here in Texas, if I'm not careful! ;)
  • seagraveseagrave Member Posts: 21
    I'm going to order my LT3 in a few months and I was wondering if it is possible to special order the Z71 brushed metal appearance on the instrument panel, center stack, steering wheel and door panels with the LT3 package? I don't want any other part of the Z71 package, I just want to get something instead of the wood panel interior. If so does anyone have the code for this brush metal option? Any idea of price?
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    I may be saying this a bit too soon; but, FYI, I traded my 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser for the 07 Yukon Denali. So far I have just over 1000 miles on it with zero problem. I am loving it for the power and the improvements GM had made over the previous models. The 6.2L engine not only has more More power, it also gives me more MPG than my EX-Land Cruiser and it uses regular gas. How can I not enjoying it... Hope you will join the Yukon/Tahoe family soon. ;)
  • 4speed14speed1 Member Posts: 6
    I would trade you if you wanted too I got a brushed metal and wanted to switch for wood. These are pretty easy to put in and take out
    I ordered my LT3 about 3 weeks ago and wanted the two-tone leather seats from the Z71 package. The salesman (who is a friend) tried to get them but GM wouldn't budge. I'd say get the brushed metal appliques in the aftermarket world. You getting a 4x4?
  • michml320michml320 Member Posts: 42
    Is this the re-programming people have been talking about? Seems it's only in V4 mode coasting with no gas applied at all. Is there a fix for it? Otherwise been fine.
  • 73shark73shark Member Posts: 325
    The recall #06162 is E85 related to refine the sensor when there is a mix of E85 and regular in the tank. Has nothing to do with V4/V8 mode. Sorry, I sure wish it did. :(
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    You can't order it that way--but trust me a LOT of people wish you could--you can only change the pieces out after the fact. You're only bet is to either get the dealer to order the individual pieces and switch them out (I know someone that was able to get their dealer to do that, and then just add the cost onto the total), OR swap them with someone who has the silver and wants wood (like someone above^^ just offered).

It's a shame there's no choice, and the same goes for some other GM vehicles, except for, strangely enough, the Impala. That's the one vehicle where you get a no cost choice of silver or wood trim when ordering.
    I get good news and bad news today. Good news is my Tahoe is on its way and should be here next week. The bad news is there was a pricing problem with my order. It was a Supplier Discount, but I don't think it was the cause. Here's the deal:

My salesman with whom I am a neighbor of used some sort of GM online form to build the vehicle. The suppler discount is straight forward, and we sat in front of the PC together while pricing out the Tahoe. He selected the LT3 option at the top of the form, and all the boxes next to the items that go with that option were selected with a price of $0.00. I get the total and it looks real good. So good that I decided to add the sunroof, someting I had left off to keep the price down. We shake on the deal, I leave him a check and I'm off. Now he calls today to inform me that there was a "glitch" in the ordering program which neglected to add the price of the LT3 option. The supplier price for this option is around $2800, and I have to absorb it, or he'd be happy to return my deposit because of the error. The order form the get-go had been tagged with "WA", will advise. He told me that sometimes this appears on the order if there is a pricing correction but that I shouldn't expect a great deal of difference from the order form price. Has anybody else experienced this problem?
    Hi,

They have to give you what you ordered and already left a deposit for. When they accepted the deposit they agreed to the deal you made. They can try to make you pay for their mistake but really they have no right. Especially if you have it in writing.

It is possible that they just made a mistake. However, it is their mistake, and you could make them honor the price if you wanted them too. Its really up to you at this point... But remember you paid them on an agreement.

If you have an attorney friend I'm sure they would be able to explain things better.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    I'd be interested to see if this works the way you think it does. I ordered my Avalanche, and to my understanding your deposit doesn't "lock in" anything on the order. It simply is a "good faith" gesture to the dealer that you're going to take the vehicle when it comes in, sometimes necessary to give them a warm fuzzy before they use up one of their "order allocations" for a vehicle equipped to *your* specifications (vs. whatever the sales manager might normally order based on what would sell most easily off the lot in your areas). Up until now NOBODY I've seen or read about having placed an order has had a guaranteed deal on pricing, because not only does the actual invoice information change frequently, so do available incentives. And since the ordered vehicle invoice paid by the dealership can vary by the time it's produced, they can't guarantee the orderee (??) a deal either.

Additional example- any incentives that might be applicable on the day you place the order can disappear by the time the vehicle arrives at the dealership, so you WILL lose them, period.

Regardless of how the pricing got messed up, it sounds as if hardin_thicke's dealership is trying to be fair about this. Basically, the pricing is much further off than it might typically be for an order because somebody (either in the dealership, or on the web site end) messed up during the actual order entry, causing the option package pricing to be left out. Because of this they're willing to NOT hold him to his originally stated "good faith" intent to accept the ordered vehicle, and will refund the deposit if he wishes it. He's out nothing more than a Tahoe at the price he thought he'd have it in either case, where the dealership MIGHT be stuck carrying the costs associated with a vehicle that is going to be hard to clear off of the lot (normally the reason for the "good faith" deposit- they'd have kept that money if he turned it down when it arrived in most other situations).
    Yes Jerry, I agree. My deposit was nothing more than a good faith intent to purchase the vehicle; letting them know that you're serious. If deposits weren't asked for, dealerships would placing "air deal" orders. In my case, the salesman explained the situation and offered to keep the vehicle if I decided that I didn't want it, and return my deposit. At this point, there is no invoice, and there are no signatures. I haven't run the figures yet, but it appears that they're not trying to pull a fast one on me, so I'm going to ante up the additional $2800 and move forward with the purchase. Besides, the "fever" has me now delirious with anticipation.
    Hi,

Actually, I believe if you actually talk to an attorney they will confirm. Dealerships want you to think that the deposit means nothing more than a good faith thing. When in actuality it is setting the contract in stone.

My dealer tried it with me. We agreed on the price with no incentives attached because there were none at the time. We gave the deposit ordered the Tahoe and when it came in they tried raising the price another $500 because the invoice price went up on the Tahoe. We simply said, we had an agreed price and gave a deposit on it and they said okay.

My wife is an attorney and she deals with consumer issues all the time. If you agree on a price then leave a deposit you've made the first payment on that car at the agreed price. The most important thing is to have the numbers on paper. Had we not been able to pull out the quote with the agreement numbers on it we would've been stuck paying the higher price for lack of proof of the agreement.

I'm not trying to claim to be an expert, I fully understand that I could be wrong, and I encourage checking with your own attorney friends if you have any. I'm just basing my information on my experience, my business education and what I've learned from my wife.

But what I can say, if it was a matter of $2800 it would be worth it for me to call an attorney to check it out.
  • rhame13rhame13 Member Posts: 23
    tyresmoker
    i too have an 07 Denali with 7500 miles on it, (traded in an 02 Denali) and am very happy with my decision to buy another GM product.

From your post I have several comments:
    The money that you will save in buying an 07 LTZ over a new Range Rover will more than pay for many, many rental cars or taxi rides. The same can be said about the car washes as well. You can get that same level of car washes or taxi service in a GM product by purchasing an Escalade. I considered it, but the similar priced Escalade would have cost an additional 16k over what I paid for my Denali.

The fact that you make reference to your Land Rover as a jalopy and that you have apparently had some problems requiring warranty work begs the question: Would you purchase another Range Rover? I love the Range Rover, as well as the Mercedes, BMW, and the Lexus (my wife has a Lexus RX330) It's nice to pop in and pop out with a loaner and pick your car up all clean. However that does come with a price.

Have there been some issues with a few of the new 07 models...Sure....that's always going to be the case when you bring out a 'new' body. But I think you would find that most of the people that post on this board are very happy with their decision to purchase a GM product. Are there going to be the few that dread the decision to purchase.....sure.....but the same could be found on the Range Rover pages as well. This is true with any model.

The Yukon\Tahoe line is a very capable, affordable, stylish, and dependable SUV that would not disappoint you should you reconsider your position.

If you want an 07 LTZ but want car washes and a rental car with it, go buy an Escalade, or you could save 16k+ by buying the 07 LTZ, a booklet or two of car wash coupons, and calling Enterprise where they will pick you up and give you a ride to your office. :shades:
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Jerry, your first two paragraphs make a lot of sense: the deposit is only a "good faith" deposit, no one is going to know the final price anyway until the vehicle arrives and GM sends an invoice, etc. etc.

Then in your last paragraph you seem to imply that this good faith deposit is a binding agreement and this dealer o is willing to refund the deposit only because he is a good guy.

Which is it? You can't have it both ways.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Rhame13, you overlook one thing. The retail experience at a typical GM dealership is akin to that of buying a pair of cheap sunglasses at a kiosk at the local mall. Anyone coming out of a Rover (or for that matter anyone contemplating a Tahoe LTZ) doesn't want this experience. He wouldn't hire one of the migrant workers found at a domestic dealership to work in his professional practice or company, he doesn't treat patients/clients/customers the way the local Chevy store does (beginning with sales managers up on platforms in the showroom), and he doesn't want to wait for service behind someone in an econobox.

Escalades? Come on. These are for the gold chain set who just love those 20" wheels for the first 50 miles. Then they realize that the Interstates were built in the Eisenhower administration and have pot holes that go back that far.
This discussion has been closed.