Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo Check Engine Light

princessnaeyaprincessnaeya Member Posts: 2
edited August 2016 in Isuzu
I've had my rodeo for about a year. I just had a tune up done on it and now the check engine light is on. I don't understand why because we didn't do anything weird. My boyfriend did it and he just changed the spark plugs, oil filter, fuel filter and did an oil change. Any clues?

Comments

• wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Did he use spark plugs that are listed in the Isuzu manual? If not, these can cause CEL to come on. At least this is the way my '00 Trooper is and I think the Rodeo is that way as well. Lots of other plugs will come up if you search say on NAPAONLINE.COM or the Autozone site for example, but if there are not the correct plugs, the Check Engine light is almost sure to come on.

Check post #1600 in the Rodeo forum df2000, "Isuzu Rodeo" #1600, 11 May 2005 5:12 pm

The above might link to #1600, might not :-)
  • princessnaeyaprincessnaeya Member Posts: 2
    Cool thanks! I bet that's it...I'll have to look into that! :)
  • sarmad1sarmad1 Member Posts: 1
    also i have the same problem with check engine light is on and iam from iraq and in our cuntry we didnt have isuzu shope enginniring to take a car to repaiar pls. if any one have any information to solved this problem and if thier was step to repaier pls send to me i can do myself becuse i have same information for a mecanecal of vhicale. also anather problem with my isuzu rodeo 2000 this mornning when iam driving to work the Trans light is on and flashed any one have any devaise for me to soloved this problem pls. i apprecheted and i well be many thanks if thier was step to repaier this 2 problem or if thier was any way to get a manuel for isuzu rodeo
    tanks
  • df2000df2000 Member Posts: 60
    Find shop with OBD-II scanner and post codes here. There is a free download manual for your Rodeo on internet but you have to find it yourself(the rules of this side not allow me to post name or link).
  • df2000df2000 Member Posts: 60
    Also...Ignition coil assembly # 6 is different from ignition coil assembly from # 1 to # 5. Coil #6 is short type.
    Also... If during spark plugs change boots separated from the coil pack, the boot from #6 diff from others and will not sit correctly on other coils, you have to find you boot #6 and put it in correct coil pack.
  • celiceli Member Posts: 1
    don't use bosh spark plugs as they will cause the check engine light to come, also I have read not to use champion pugs as they will cause the engine to knock. I originally had denison plugs which gave me no problems, and I currently have ngk plugs.
    good luck.
  • catmastercatmaster Member Posts: 1
    HELLO,I HAVE A 2000 ISUZU RODEO 3.2 V6, LOVE THAT TRUCK MORE THEN SOME WOMEN I KNOW,SPECIALLY IN THE SNOW CANT GET MY SELF STUCK ANY WHERE FEEL KIND OF BAD FOR THOSE POOR CAR PEOPLE OH -WELL, I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM.JUST CHANGE YOUR SPARK PLUGS, MAKE SURE YOU GET NGK,DONT BE LIKE ME AND TRY TO USE BOSCH PLATNIUM TIP LIKE I DID,THINKING I WAS GOING TO HAVE A SUPER FAST TRUCK,ALL I HAD WAS THE CHECK-ENGINE LIGHT THAT WONT GO-OFF,AFTER I CHANGED THE SPARK-PLUGS,I'VE HAVE'NT HAD ANY PROBLEMS,LET ME JUST KNOCK ON WOOD JUST TO BE SURE,LET ME KNOW IF THIS WORKS. GOOD LUCK,AND KEEP ON ISUZU TRUCKING. :cry:
  • karenjanekarenjane Member Posts: 1
    Help! Has anyone had a dealer repair shop tell you the Main Engine Wire Harness needs to be replaced? My problems started with a transmission fluid leak, the dealer replaced the accumulator pison ocver, which Ilater learned is defective in most 2000+ Isuzu Rodeos. Then, the ck trans light kept coming on, and it felt like the trans was slipping. Back to the dealer, they told me my trans was shot, buy a new car. I learned it was under the $120,000 warranty, back to dealer, okay, it's covered. Then a phone call from the dealer,it's not your trans is the Main Engine Wire Harness. Any suggestions?
    Thanks...
  • alphadogsalphadogs Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like you are driving my Rodeo!!!! The only difference is that I received a call this morning saying it wasn't the trans. The piston cover and gasket were replaced a couple of weeks ago. The trans is still slipping and their is a lot of engine strain/whine. Now they say it's a coil. I'm 8K miles from the end of the warranty and don't want this to go unnoticed by the dealer. As a side note, when the dealer replaced the cover and gasket after the fluid leaked out, they charged me $200 for new fluid saying it wasn't part of the warranty! I had just had the trans flushed the previous month. Sounds like faulty work to me.
  • t2friscot2frisco Member Posts: 1
    Three clicks on the fuel cap are NOT enough!

Upon refueling my gas tank on my 2003 Isuzu Rodeo and following the 3-clicks rule, the Check Engine Light (CEL) came on! When I stopped to make sure the fuel cap is tighten, the warning message on the fuel cap "Check Engine Light may come on" stands out like "I told you so". When I got home I got on Google and read most of the posted problems related to the CEL.

Then I disconnected the battery cables to reset the computer and waited for 5 minutes. After putting the cables back, the CEL goes away.

The 3-click rules may be 4 or 5 or bunch click to make sure that the sensor sees the cap being closed!

The CEL is a latch desgin. Once the fault is triggered it won't goes away until it is instructed to clear. One way to clear the latch is to disconnect the battery cables for about 5 minutes. There are two fuses, namely ECM Main and ECM Backup, in the fuse box under the hood on the passenger side. Maybe taking those two fuses out also resets the computer but I haven't tried it yet!

I don't know how the fuel cap sensor works though. I don't see any electrical connection out of the fuel cap!

T2Frisco
  • hardridincwbyhardridincwby Member Posts: 12
    Having a shifting problem. We live on a rough country road. Rodeo had problem when we purchased it three years ago. Mechanic at that time messed with a sensor,[ would not tell me where it was], problem then cured. Can not locate this sensor. Truck is mrs. so can't give better clue, has been serviced, could not get to spark plugs { hidden?}. Can you give me clue where to start? Waynes manual doesstate or show where sensor is or how to get at plugs. thank-you for any help you may have. Hardridincwby
  • kstjmy2kstjmy2 Member Posts: 1
    The transmission light just started blinking and my check engine light has been on forever and the ABS light is always on. We have put it on a scanner and it says that the cad.converter or O2 sensor but nothing on the ABS light- Just changed the brakes on it and I have no idea why the trans light is now blinking? Anybody have any ideas.
    This sounds odd but, check alternator. If a triode on the charging side is even slightly weak thing get weird. If thats not it, check sensor on rear axle. Ours wiggled loose, hard to diagnose.
    Good luck
  • bucsngoofybucsngoofy Member Posts: 6
    hi, just got a 2001 rodeo lse, love it, however, the cruise control keeps engaging on it's own, and if i don't catch it right away, it totally makes my car die!! the cruise set light and check transmission light comes on, if i catch it i can disengage it, but otherwise my truck just quits on me! have taken it into a friend who's a mechanic, nothing comes up on the diagnostic check, we wanted to just take the cruise out, but i guess in the rodeo there are two computer systems, instead of just one, and he doesn't know which one it would be in!! he doesn't charge us, so that's why we haven't gone to a dealer yet, does anyone know anything about this? :sick:
  • rodeo7777rodeo7777 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new aftermarket locking gas cap and every since then I've been getting the CEL to come on sporadically. The CEL does turn off after the computer cycles enough times to clear. Going to try the battery cables. I only get the CEL every so often now, because I realized you have to keep on-a-clickin' the cap.
  • a_corlettea_corlette Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Rodeo 4 dr, 2WD. The check transmission light started blinking and the vehicle is struggling to shift into the fourth gear. The check engine light also just came on. This vehicle is serviced by the dealers on time and the transmission check was also done a few months ago within the dealer specified time and all was ok. The vehicle mileage has only just passed 50 thousand miles and it is not been driven hard. What should I do or expect the dealers that service the vehicle to do?
  • hproeselhproesel Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever receive a reply to your query about your shifting problem? I've also got a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo V6 and it's having the same problem. My CEL and ABS light came on months ago but hasn't affected the performance of the car. I drive about 100 miles per day. Shifting problem (clunks between 2/3 and when downshifting) started about a week ago, then went away by itself the next day. This morning started again. I also live on a very bumpy country road and was wondering what kind of a sensor you're referring to or possibly something has vibrated loose. Thanks for any help :confuse:
  • jpnscohenjpnscohen Member Posts: 3
    We have a 95 Rodeo and the Check Trans light has been blinking for over a year. They couldn't find any actual problem (it drives fine) so they suggested replacing the computer (>$1k). That's almost half of what it's worth, so we decided to wait...
  • tarchertarcher Member Posts: 6
    Wow is so nice to see someone else with the same problem. However sorry your having it too. Anyway I have a 2000 Rodeo LS It does the samething the Trans Lite and Cruise Control lite both come on and go out and the car stutters also like its starving for gas. We took it to AAMCO Transmissions and they said nothing was wrong with the transmission. After I had it flushed for $200.00. They said it was electrical and could not find the problem. Of course when they test drove it it did not happen. They had it for 2 days and nothing but $200 out of my pocket. I took the car to Auto part store and asked if they would put the scanner on the computer to check for errors. They did and Nothing it came back it PASSED. I know it has to be something shorting out but can't find it.

Have you any success finding the problem? I would be very greatful in finding out. If I find out I'll be sure to tell you .

• debirdebir Member Posts: 2
    My car has been doing this for over a year...we've spent so much money..They've disconnected the cruise control and all sorts of stuff but now all they can say is we need a new computer. But in the same breath (this is the dealer) they indicate that the computer on the 2000 Rodeo "never goes bad" so the computer we need is now on a slow boat from Japan.

It's so dangerous to drive my car...fortunately I only work about a mile from home and never take it anywhere else. It studders at all the wrong times but I find it to be more frequent during the warmer months. I actually got through the winter with little problems.

I know it's not the computer.....It's definately electrical as the very first time it happened the car just died and all the lights, radio, etc just conked out.

I'm not excited to spend the thousand bucks for a new computer on this car. Did you receive a reply to your post. Does anyone else knowhow this can be fixed?
  • hproeselhproesel Member Posts: 2
    Update on my shifting problem on 1999 Isuzu Rodeo (intermittent clunking between gears). Did alot of research and the consensus I found was that there is a transmission range sensor that apparently gets moist every time I run through puddles. If I drive for awhile, the problem always clears up (must dry out). I found an article which shows how to change it but I don't know how to attach it. Link to article is at http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/#faq59
    Also, my CEL is definitely caused by the gas cap not being tight enough. As soon as I really crank down on it, the CEL light goes back off. Hope this helps y'all......
  • bucsngoofybucsngoofy Member Posts: 6
    Hey, did they pull the fuse to disconnect the cruise control? We didn't have an owners manual when we bought it, i have been told that the fuse is in the box to the left of the steering wheel, you can only see it when the door is open. I would like to try and do it myself instead of spending who knows what for a shop to pull the fuse! If you can look in your manual, hopefully you have one, can you let me know which one it is?!? Also, in the event that you didn't already know this, as soon as you see the lights come up on your dash, if you push the cruise control button once, i have two places where the cruise is, but when i see the lights or feel it stutter when my foot is on the pedal, i push the button on the outside of the wiper stick (have absolutely no idea what you call the thing), and it disengages it without the car dying. Only thing that sucks is that you're constantly checking the dash! I have a 3 year old, so between being the driver, searcher for lost toys, crayons, whatever, you only have a split second to push the cruise button! It does work though. Our friend has his own shop, and just like you said "nothing comes up on the diagnostic check". How screwed up is that?!? I've checked for recalls, but so far no luck. Let me know if you find anything!! :confuse:
    Yes. It directed me to another site. Wayns manual says item is the nutral safty switch, told how to remove take apart clean and reasemble. Havenot taken it toldly apart but cleans has helped big time. Good luck :D
  • kidisuzukidisuzu Member Posts: 6
    I'm having the same exact problem with my 2001 5 Speed Rodeo, and it only seems to happen when I go over a buump in the road but it doesn't always do it, I've had the car buck when it engages and sometimes even shuts off on me. I talked to the lady that sold it to me and she said she thought her husband had fixed it because it had stopped doing it. She is suppose to get back to me tonight at work to see what the problem was. I love this truck but that gets on my nerves.
    While driving in snowy conditions my wife, pulled in for fuel shut down the truck, after restarting: when turning on head lamps noticed left turn signal not working, turn off lights signal works but also flashes gear indicator light. Any Ideas?
    This is what I got from the guy who had the car truck before me :

The problem with the car before was with a part called the power steering pressure switch. It's just a small sensor that is in the pressure line of the pump itself, actually just under the hose.

What you have to do is take out the power steering pump, which is located on your right (drivers side) if you're standing in front of the car facing it, remove the pressure line, and then if i remember right, you'll see the switch. It's kind of hard to get out because it gets lodged in there because of the pressure.

I actually replaced it, but I was also told you can just clean it because what makes it not work right is dirt getting in the power steering fluid line, and it was dirty in there when i changed the switch before. I did clean it out, but i guess it's possible that it might have gotten dirty again.

Another thing I was told is that you can just completely disconnect the switch all together, and the problem should go away, but I didn't even try that because i had already taken the car apart and bought the switch when I found that out.

i can't imagine the switch went bad again in only a few months, but i guess you never know with cars. Maybe a cleaning is all it would need though, but the thing is that you have to take everything apart just to clean it anyway.

I have the Haynes manual that explains what to do, but the picture they have in it is actually from an older Rodeo, so it really wasn't all that helpful anyway. It does give the directions though on what to do, so if you want it, you can have it.

Hopefully this helps

All I did was disconnect the two plugs that are near the power steering pump and cleaned them out and sorta re attached the PCM....I cant believe how dirty these things get . clean out the plugs first.. That's what I did and it hasn't done it for me in a week. Maybe that sensor is bad on yours or maybe those two plugs might need to be cleaned and re attached. I'm just glad the problem hasn't occurred in a week.
  • myzusuksmyzusuks Member Posts: 1
    Why would the PCM affect the cruise control light and the transmission light ?

When you made the change, did if fix the CC light and the Trans light problem?

Can an idiot do this himself.

thanks.
  • carblccarblc Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem and now I'm going to take my car to the transmission center to have it checked, did you ever figure out why the cruise control and trans light keep coming on and now mine is not even driveable, because it almost instantley dies out
  • becky12becky12 Member Posts: 1
    When the car starts the rear windshield wipers come on and also the check engine light........what do we check? Turning off the windshield wipers does not work.........
  • mendietamendieta Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought an isuzu rodeo 2001, manual, 4 cyl. the check engine light is on, i took it to discount auto parts and they did a scan check, what came up with was the camshaft position sensor, i bought it, but now i am trying to figure out where does it go? can i get some help on this. :P
  • kah222kah222 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 1998 Rodeo in April and have had nothing but problems! The check engine light has come on again. I took it to Good Year and they say that they can not complete the scan and that I have to take it to the dealership. Anyone else ever heard of this? I am worried the dealership will rip me off!
  • acdbluesacdblues Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Rodeo manual 5 speed with the check engine light on. I too was told to go to the dealership, and like you I am afraid of being ripped off. I had made an appt. to have it scanned by the dealership to at least tell me what code was coming up and my husband made me cancel it, that was two weeks ago. I think I am going to go a head and reschedule the appt. but first, I will ask the dealership if they will guarantee the result of the scan. I don't want to pay big money for nothing. Have you found anything out yet about your check engine light?
  • decountsdecounts Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2000 Rodeo with the same pains as everyone, 63K miles 4 cyl. 5 speed and just came back from the dealers. After spending $105. for diagnostics was told I needed a new PCM for another $1000. Of course this is after I changed out the fuel sending unit in the tank. What the !@#$??
    I asked if I got the new PCM installed is there any guarantee that it, the fuel gage, would be fixed? No, was what He said, could be something else, but we won't know until we replace it. Isn't this supposed to be a professional car manufacturer & dealership. I know if I tried this flavor of troubleshooting in my line of work I wouldn't be around very long. It's called "shotgunning", when you don't have a clue what the real cause of the fault is, this is what you do. Change out everything at the customers expense and eventually you might get the thing fixed.
    How can they get away with this kind of crap in the United States of America?
  • stanfieldstanfield Member Posts: 4
    I know the Amigo isn't the same as a rodeo but more of a baby rodeo. I purchased a 99 amigo with the v-6 and 4 wheel drive. The check engine light was on but I was told it just needed reset. After one week and about 1500 miles, it just died this morning. I bought and installed a new filter. Then I ran a fuel pressure test. I'm pushing about 40psi. Recommended is 47 to 55psi. Pump is weak but after it cools, it'll crank anr run for a bit but then dies again. I pulled plug after it died and the combustion chamber is dry. After 10 or 15, it'll crank back. I checked the injector while cranking, and it's not juicing enuff to start back. If I keep trying, it will start again and run for 10 or 15. Then it dies again. Somebody please help!!! This is my daily driver. I'm a college student and work construction full time too. I need to be running soon. Any ideas??? I really appreciate any help.
    I'm not a mechanic but have you tried to reset everything by unhooking the battery? I did this on mine and the light went on for a bit. Until the problem returned. Just a thought...
    not sure on the 4 cyl but on the v-6, it's on the rear of the driver side head under the intake. Hard to get to. It's on the head somewhere.
  • ray0919ray0919 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Amigo and the check engine and check transmission light both cam on at the same time.Everything seemsto be running ok and I havent had any shifting problems but the lights will not go off. Any suggestion to what the problem could be?
  • linzeylinzey Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem but 2002 4 cyl auto. Did you ever find location of sensor? I read something about under cam cover near the distributor cap. Do you have the correct part number?
  • linzeylinzey Member Posts: 2
    found this online, again please let me know how you did if you already replaced. How long did it take?

look at the top of the engine, the cover for the spark plugs ends at the front of the engine. Right at that point is where the connector is, to get at the sensor you must remove the serpentine belt, wiring cover, and timing belt cover, and the sensor bolt can be accessed between the camshaft pulleys, its a small torx bolt.
    Ok after a long time of trying to fix this stupid problem its gone. Cost me some Money but its gone. First off what the previous owner said was garbage because it should have had no bearing with the CC and check engine light. So I took it to my mechanic and he told me something has to be loose somewhere under neath or something. So that weekend I decided I was going to give her a tune up ( Spark plugs, fuel filter, and I even got a cone filter to replace the stock filter ) I change out the fuel filter ( pain in the [non-permissible content removed] ) I start to take out the spark plugs and when I get to the last two on the passenger side the son of bitches are on finger tight.. I was so pissed..nonethe less I put the most expensive plugs I can find ( NGK Iridiums $7.99 each ) and I take her for a spin and the son of [non-permissible content removed] stops the bucking..geez i wonder why ) to think I've had it for almost two years and never gave it a tune up..what an owner. So I run into another problem the starter is going and the fuel sending unit goes fricking nuts and now my check engine light is on and that is the reason according to AutoZones scan tool. So I talk to my mechanic and I call around and the only place that carries it in my area is Advance Auto and it comes with the Fuel pump as one for $420. I talk to the mecanic again and I tell him the truck runs fine why do I need the pump and he tells me to go to the dealer and just pick up the fuel sending unit and I do and it's $56. He gets it to the shop and he drops the tank and right before he goes to swap it out he goes and runs the pump outside of the tank and says he heard metal filings in the pump that I might want to change the pump a while while he has the tank off because it doesn't sound too good. He said he gave it 6 months to a year before it would need to be replaced. But if I wanted to leave it and just replace the fuel sendingunit he would do that too, but as friend and my mechanic he recommended changing it now once and done. So I Swallowed hard and he actually found me the pump with his discount thru the dealer for $330. Its been running like a champ ever since and no regrets on spending that money. Actually threw on 4 new struts I got off ebay and the total labor for Fuel pump, Starter ( which you have to unbolt the muffler and raise the engine to get to ) 4 struts= $230. cant complain. Hope some of this helps
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    are on finger tight

I'm surprised the engine even started! Glad you got that resolved.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    The second to last one on the passenger side towards the firewall I barely put the wrench on it and it broke loose. The one closest to the firewall on the passenger side I kid you not. I have a magnetized socket and I cant quite get the angle with the wrench on it so I just stuck the socket with extension and I'm turning the extension with socket trying to get it to hook up and I'm turning and turning and was like WTF where is this damn thing. When I pulled up the socket and extension there was the spark plug...trust me I thought the same thing...how the hell did this thing start. I knew something was up because when I would go down the highway at speeds above 55 and I would give it gas it would kind of hesitate and kinda get herky jerky going down the road Yeah none of that anymore. Thank God.. I was ready to trade it in because it was driving me nuts
  • hansey25hansey25 Member Posts: 1
    I just went through a check engine light issue with my 2000 Rodeo. When your gas tank gets down to about ¼ tank look to see if the gas light comes on and the gauges goes a little screwy.

For some reason the fuel sensor in the 2000 Rodeo will start acting up and this makes the check engine light come on. If that is the problem, it cost a little over $500 at the Isuzu dealership. They gas tank needs to be lowered to gain access to the sensor. This doesn’t cause any damage driving it with the check engine light on, I did for a year.

The dealer charged $79 to run a diagnostic on the car. I’d have this done to rule it out.
  • mpivanmpivan Member Posts: 1
    1999 Rodeo, 5 spd, 4 cyl - recently had used trans and water pump put in. Check engine lite now on. Radiator fan seems to run all the time & gas gage fluctuates/lite on. Took car to dealer for diagnostic systems check (dealer only had handheld diagnostic tool, no one seems to want to pay the price for diagnostic software updates on the larger diagnostic computer). Handheld system tool seemed to reset the car sensors...no check engine lite, no radiator fan running, no gas gage fluctuation/lite off. Car ran fine for about a week and now the check engine lite is back on and problems have reappeared. What can be done to resolve this problem?

runstook to dealer
  • bugsy1bugsy1 Member Posts: 16
    I HAVE MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON FOR AS LONG AS I OWN THIS TRUCK , I HAD IT RESET MANY TIMES AND IT ALWAYS COME BACK TRUCK IS RUNNING FINE , THEY SAY ITS A SENSOR MALFUNCTION.NOW MY ABS LIGHT COME ON AND OFF STILL RUNNING OK .I DONT KNOW WHATS IN STORE FOR ME LATER ON .
  • bugsy1bugsy1 Member Posts: 16
    I forget to mention i have this truck since about 2002 , dont regret buying it , and i would buy another even though i.ve seen people having a lot of problems with theirs ,
  • steammarcsteammarc Member Posts: 4
    Just had me 2001 Rodeo repaired at a dealership. I had the identical problem, check transmission light going on along with cruise set light, followed by engine chugging/tranny slipping. The problem was with a broken wire at the main engine wire harness connecting to the crank sensor. Technicians changed the broken wire (NOT the whole wire harness). Cost was $395.99. Almost all of it labour.
  • threedovesthreedoves Member Posts: 2
    for the past year, I've had this same problem...whenever my gas tanks gets to about 3/4 empty, my check engine light comes on. I've been tracking my gas by the mileage. I've had my 2001 rodeo for 5 years, have had no problems and it still runs excellent! I bought this truck in California and drove it to Texas where I know reside and I'm afraid to just bring to someone, who I don't know to mess with this. I too went to autozone and the tested it and stated it was something with my fuel tank sensor. I took it to a independent guy who works on cars on his own and he stated the same thing. but said he'd have to pull out the back seat to get to the fuel tank. He also stated that the part in question could potentially run me anywhere from $800 to the lowest of $250, depending on the distributor of that part. I took it to a mechanic's shop and they stated they would need to drop the tank from underneath and that alone wouldn't really diagnosed the problem. So, with conflicting information, I'm a bit confused on who is giving me the correct information. Can someone give me an insight on which way I should resolve this issue.
  • steammarcsteammarc Member Posts: 4
    Your problem is with worn/broken contacts on the gas level indication part of the fuel pump/level indicator unit. It cost me $500.00 to replace the unit at Fucillo in watertown NY. The unit cost $350.00. This is a common problem with Isuzus in that model year. The unit is replaced by lowering the gas tank (make sure it is almost empty of gas), and replacing the unit that sits on the top of the gas tank.
    The check engine light goes on because the level sensor thinks that there is no gas in the tank. This goes away when you fill the tank full, but at 3/4 the level sensor starts to go wonky. Good luck with your truck. After I got that fixed, it became my favorite ride again.
  • tjsnowtjsnow Member Posts: 4
    Yes I had the exact same problem on my 2000 Rodeo, currently at the dealer for repairs and I am wondering if I should REALLY have them switch out the wiring harness because it costs $1100?? Did it fix the problem? I had a transmission leak in the main selector shaft seal and at the same time I had no indication on the dash of what gear I was in (stayed in "P" no matter what gear), had cruise control blink on/off and rear defrost go on and it would flicker and make this clicking noise and had trouble going from 2nd to 3rd gear. I had them fix the fluid leak as that has to be done. I am wondering if I can wait on the harness as I don't have any money. Anyone out there have a cheaper fix to this?? HELP