Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Coupe / Civic Si 2006+

Comments

• midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Strumelia,

Too me the smile factor, fun factor of the Si would be worth the decreased mileage. There is more than going from point A to B. And if you figure up all the costs hybrids don't pay out and saving 7-9 more mpg over a Si and 20 cents a gallon more over the Si will pay out but I contend that value to me won't be worth it.

That brings up the question of demographics. Who will or is going to buy a Si ( or EX,LX. DX coupe). I would like to get anoyther pocket rocket, light fun like the CRX si and GSR were. They were some of the most fun cars I have had. However, I probably don't fit any of the demographic profiles. I have had a BMW and two Lexus but I really didn't like them for the fun factor and cost effective factor. My age and mney profile is proabably more in the BMW or Lexus. I though about getting another BMW,;the new 330 has more power at 255 hp thatn my M3 did. But my wife never did like the BMW even with free mainteneance some little thing was alwys going wrong and even those little things were very expensive. I have also considered convertibles: the new Sky, the new MX5, an S2000. I have driven a Z4 an it was nice but I don't think it is worth twice an MX5 or Sky for something I would drive infrequently. AAlso low to the ground is getting harder and harder to get into.

I even got on a high mileage kick when gas was at $3.00 per gallon and looked at a Prius ( but ugh I hate automatics) I was looking at an Insight but you still have to pay $21K and the perfomance really sucks. The Hybrid Civic in 2005 was offered with a manual , but now the 2006 is CVT only BOO!. But buying a car for high mileage, just doesn't work out economically.

I am planning on buying s Si for a fun work commuter car. I will probably put on a cat back exhaust( either Tanbe or Apexi) and a AEM cold air intake. I will keep my other cars( Avalon, IS300 and Accord). Keep my nice house and continue socking away mopney for retirement.

So why does one get? Mileage and features. Relaibility : Yes probably EX, LX.

Who is the target audience? One person has a BMW and Mercedes and got a EX Coupe. So the car appears to cut across normal demographics.

I am curious as to why other poeple are getting the 2006 Civic Coupes. Especially the manual shifts and especially the 6-speed Si manual shifts.

Motor On,

MidCow

P.S.- The Si will kick one of the other three cars out of the garage :)

P.S.S. - I can't economically justify the car. I really don't need another car. It is just that the a high-reving SDi is very appealing!
    The sleeper in insurncae costs was the 2005 6-speed v6 Accord Coupe and or now either the coupe or Sedan in 6-speed v6.

I think the reason Civics are higher is because of the younger demographics ( i.e. more wrecks) and the fact that a lot of Civics are stolen. And yes, the Si will be higher than a nrmal EX or lX.

However, it you are really concerned about insurance then get a Buick.

Cheers,

MidCow
    It is called customization. Have your Honda dealer install the courtesy lights and then go down to Pep boys or your local atuo cutomization shop of your choice and they can and will install fog lighs for you. Hondas only problem is that they have seemm to have a conflict is wireing harness connections. That is what happens when you have two engineers designing soltuions that don't go through a high level quality assurance review.

And while you are add modifications and customization, Mamamia2 has some good input on automatic headlights.

Hope you enjoy your Civic EX. I bet is sucks compared to the BMWs and Mercs or even the Civic Si. But hey, when the cash runs out what is a person to do.

Good luck and have a nice week.

MidCow
  • gonzonygonzony Member Posts: 7
    Madcow,

Fascinating, but you didn't give your demographic. I am 49, male and live in Long Island.

I seem to be in a very similar frame of mind as you. I used to have a Civic Si and loved it. It was stolen and when I went to buy a new one, the salesman said with frustration, "Every one of these I sell is stolen." It convinced me to buy a BMW 328i. The car drives great, and I would argue, has a nice fun factor, but I still kind of missed the Si.

At this point I am tired of the cost of maintaining the BMW and started to look for new wheels. I checked out the new BMW (very nice, if a bit boring looking), the new Lexii (IS250 and IS350; if they had a manual IS350, I might must go for it). Then I saw they put out a new Si and read it was back to the older style, high-reving engine and my decision was made instantly. I've had a deposit down for two month.

Meanwhile, at work, my colleagues and most of my staff are driving BMWs, Mercedes, etc. When I mention I am getting a Civic they just look at me funny. If I had not had an Si before I would probably feel the same way. Bottom Line: I think it will still be mostly a young persons car. For the older crowd, maybe they need to kick up the the TSX a notch and create a TSX-S; I would probably buy it. I would also be a sucker for a S2000 coupe or hardtop convertable.
    Whoops. I guess that should have been MidCow. Apologies.
    Hey gonzony,

No problem sometimes I am mad as in ccarrrr crazy :). I am a couple of years older than you still like driving a stick and live in Houston.

I think the Si would be ablast :P

Cheers to shifting

MidCow
    Does the spoiler come standard on the 2006 Civic Si ?

shifting,

MidCow
  • corey415corey415 Member Posts: 49
    Wing spoiler standard on SI. Lip spoiler standard on regular coupes.
  • bigal3bigal3 Member Posts: 107
    Hi Midcow,

Glad to know that your are "couple of years" older than 50 & is looking forward to "modify" the muffler on a SI which is not in your garage.

For me, different cars serve different purposes. My Mercedes is for business, the BMW is for fun & driving pleasure....& the EX coupe gets impressive mileage. Each car has their own purpose, it is hard to compare apples to oranges.

I don't know what you mean when you say "...But hey, when the cash runs out what is a person to do"? Are you explaining your cash problem in buying the new Civic?

But if I want to buy a "pocket rocket", I will go out & come home with a AWD WRX (300hp & 300 lb-ft torque turbocharged engine). Lancer Evolution (with 286hp & 289 lb-ft torque turbocharged engine) will be another possibility.

But for me, it is hard to call a SI "pocket rocket". I will not brag about adding a fog light or a "wildcat" mufflier as "modification" or "customization".
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    When are these bad boys suppose to reach the dealers?
    Isn't it this month sometime?
    Thanks
    Bigal3 said:

"For me, different cars serve different purposes. My Mercedes is for business, the BMW is for fun & driving pleasure....& the EX coupe gets impressive mileage. Each car has their own purpose, it is hard to compare apples to oranges "

DOES NOT COMPUTE! I agree they are apples and oranges and very ,very rarely does a Mercedes, BMW owner look for a high mileage car, such as a Civic. I and other just find it very curious, but hey to each his own.

BilgAl3 also said:

"But if I want to buy a "pocket rocket", I will go out & come home with a AWD WRX (300hp & 300 lb-ft torque turbocharged engine). Lancer Evolution (with 286hp & 289 lb-ft torque turbocharged engine) will be another possibility. "

I hate turbo lag. The plain WRX is really a dog unless you keep it spooled up all the time. I had a turbo Datsun 280 ZX 2+2 5-speed bacing in 1983 and its turbo lag was really bad. I thought they would have improved (lessened) with smallet ligher twin turbos, but a recent test drive of the WRX confirmed my feeling that I hate turbo lag. Suburu is pretty good on relaibility but still there is the constant need for turbo cool-down. If turbo, fast, and cheap is your thing the SRT-4 is a real pocket rocket and they remining 2005s are pretty cheap. But then , the whole car is cheap it is a Neon.

The "pocket rocket" was a old term , similar to the previous gernation "muscle cars". The new Honda Civic Si reminds me of the old "pocket rocket" concept. And I really like the Honda low torque, high rev engines; they are a blast to drive.

And yes, thank you for reminding me i don't have one in my garage yet. But I have started seriously looking and contacting dealers. I have gotten approval, but it looks like it is going to cost me monthly storage shed rental. They all are proud with the best so far being MSRP with stripes and tint thrown in free. The worst was one dealer, that wanted $4,000 over MSRP. I always hate it when the dealer speel starts out" you know these are hard to get because they are very limited ..." All that means is they want to try an gouge you on prices.

Regards,

Old MidCow ( as Al so graciously pointed out) , but still on the up side of the earth.

P.S.- The "ucustomization" iIwas talking about is that if you really wanted it and weren't just trying to always slam me and others, you could customize your 2006 Civic EX Coupe with all three: courtesy lights, fog lights and even truely automatic dusk sensing headlights.
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    I hate turbo lag. The plain WRX is really a dog unless you keep it spooled up all the time. I had a turbo Datsun 280 ZX 2+2 5-speed bacing in 1983 and its turbo lag was really bad. I thought they would have improved (lessened) with smallet ligher twin turbos, but a recent test drive of the WRX confirmed my feeling that I hate turbo lag. Suburu is pretty good on relaibility but still there is the constant need for turbo cool-down. If turbo, fast, and cheap is your thing the SRT-4 is a real pocket rocket and they remining 2005s are pretty cheap. But then , the whole car is cheap it is a Neon.

Sorry, but the new WRX has a 2.5L Turbo with Variable valve timing, and there is very little lag at all. Maybe you drove an earlier WRX (2.0L non-VVT engine) a while back ?? Similar to saying that you drove a 1.7L 2002 Civic LX and so the 2006 Si is a Dog...

When testing the acceleration of the WRX STi, one of the magazines commented that nothing short of a Porsche 911 Turbo, accelerates more ferociously than the STi, out of a corner. With all 4 driven wheels clawing for traction and the front, center and rear differentials, rapidly and continually allocating power/torque to the 4 wheels, variably.

Also, Subaru's turbo design DOES NOT need a cool-down unlike other turbos that your are talking about. They specifically mention that in their design details.

Also, having owned an Acura 3.2TL, a couple of Integras, the new Honda Odyssey and an earlier WRX (with the 2.0L Turbo), I would say that the WRX is probably better than all of the above, when it comes to build quality. Some people say that it is because it is built in Japan with 100% Japanese components.

Just correcting some inaccuracies you spouted above.
    All tubos have lag. It is less noticable in more powerful ones. The WRX I drive was the 2.0. Also drove the Saab ( -2 which is the sophisticated WRX; it had bad lag also with an automatic. The 2.5 ( new for 2006) is a more powerful engine and the lag may be not be as noticable but it is still there.

The intercooler helps with the cooldown. But Subaru turbos still need a short cool down period unless you want coking on your oil, which is worse that Toyota's sludge problem.

I wasn't talking about the STi version and yes that is a fast car, but it doesn't really float my boat. I notice you know have a Honda product, good choice. And you owned the 2.0 WRX. You will have to admit that the 2.0 WRX had significant turbo lag. And if you didn't practice cool-down of at least 30 seconds each time you drove it I hope you changed your oil at 2,000-3,000 intervals. H'mm, one wonders where did the WRX go and why are you trolling a Civic Si Coupe thread.

Now I have to laugh and agree with you when you said "Similar to saying that you drove a 1.7L 2002 Civic LX and so the 2006 Si is a Dog..." I drove a 2005 WRX 5-speed with the 2.0 liter and it was a dog. I drove a 2005 Saab 9 2 with automatic in one of the autoshow gymkannas and the tubo would just spool when you had to brake, really bad. Yes most Civics are dogs comapred to the new 2006 Civic Si. Maybe a good comparo thread would be the 2006 WRX 5-speed against the 2006 Civic Si 6-speed except the WRX is about $5k more expensive MSRP. Real world prices put it at only about $2k more.

MidCow, A non-tubo guy!
    Mid cow,

You seemed to have a weird sense of logic. I am a businessman with 3 cars. For me, it only make sense to have different types of cars for different purposes.

Midcow said :
    I hate turbo lag. The plain WRX is really a dog unless you keep it spooled up all the time. I had a turbo Datsun 280 ZX 2+2 5-speed bacing in 1983 and its turbo lag was really bad. I thought they would have improved (lessened) with smallet ligher twin turbos, but a recent test drive of the WRX confirmed my feeling that I hate turbo lag.

I would like to know where you had test drive the new WRX? For me, I will not be crazy enough to brag myself by saying that the new AWD WRX with 300hp & 300 lb-ft of torque turbo boxer engine is "really a dog".

It is YEAR 2005, you are using a 23 years old 1983 Datsun engine technology to complain about the latest turbo engine in the 2005 WRX.

I would also like to know where you learn that Subaru WRX turbos CONSTANT NEED TO COOL DOWN or risk "coking on the oil"? You should do a bit more search before trying to pretend to be a turbo expert....you had mixed up "intercooler" (to intercool compressed in-take air before entering the combustion chamber) with "coking on your oil" (oil cooler to cool down overheating of engine oil?). Although they both are "cooler"....They are 2 COMPLETELY separate things. Please don't mixed them up.

I am a reasonable guy & I am not bias. Although I own a Honda coupe & have never own any Subaru in the past, I agree with aaykay that the WRX is a nice car...& certainly NOT "REALLY A DOG" (as Midcow had described).

For me, I have just bought a new 06 Honda Civic Coupe EX...therefore it is only logical for me to be "trolling this HONDA CIVIC COUPE thread". I have an open mind.... besides the Civic coupe EX, I also drive a Mercedes & a BMW (depends on where I am going to & what is the purpose). Right now, all my cars are non-turbo, but if the right car comes along & it suits my purpose, I will be glad to buy a turbo car (any type any brand).
  • zombozombo Member Posts: 89
    I saw on the net that a dealer in Denville NJ had a black 2006 SI in stock and went to check it out. Well I should've called first, because not only did they not have the car ,a salesman said they would be selling them for 2K over sticker price and babbled some BS about all dealers getting only 2 SIs per month! Well needless to say I left saying don't call me ,I'll call you if I'm interested.He said they would take a deposit pending a test drive,LOL! I thought Honda selling over sticker ended over a decade ago,I guess not as long as people are dumb enough to pay over MSRP! I would appreciate any info on any Honda dealers in the northern NJ,eastern PA area selling 2006 SIs for MSRP.
    This is getting way off-topic....

As mentioned earlier, the cars on my shortlist, even though they seem diametrically opposite, are the Honda Civic EX sedan and the WRX wagon, which is why I am in this forum, but had to correct the misinformation in your earlier post. In the same vein as you being in this forum, even though you don't own an Si (yet).

All turbos have lag. True. The WRX drives like a powerful 2.5L DOHC VVT engine (prior to the turbo kicking in), which is what you term as "lag". Once the Turbo kicks in (at around 2500rpm), it feels like a powerful V6. The WRX you drove was a 2.0L with no variable valve timing; thus at low rpms, it was slower....the current one is a different animal...why quote history and apply it to the current product ?? 1.7L LX vs 2.0 Si...

The intercooler cools the air that goes into the engine....as we know, cooler air = denser air, which equates to more power....it has nothing to do with turbo cooldown. Maybe I did not make myself clear the previous time, but the WRX employs a different method of cooldown, which eliminates the need to keep the engine running to cool-down, like with traditional turbos....no "coking on your oil" - I suppose the Fuji Heavy engineers know their product better than the rest of us, if they recommend it that way. Similar to people insisting on putting in regular fuel into the Si, when the Honda engineers who designed it, strongly recommends the adding of premium. :P
    aaykay,

Okay I see now Two good cars: Honda Civic EX sedan and WRX wagon. Since you had a WRX in the past, if I were you I would proabably be happier with the better response from the WRX. But then again the Honda would give better mileage.

Sorry I wasn't clearer. Typically when an intercooler is used, less boost is required for the same or higher horsepower. Less ( or reasonable) boost equates to longer life. Okay, so in 23 years Subaru has solved the cool down problem. However for 180 HP the ZX ran like a scalded pig when the turbo finally kicked in.

Oh concerning premium in Si. I will burn premium. I hadn't seen what the actual manual said previouisly and it makes sense when you consider the 11.0 compression ratio. Many other cars that require premium only suggest it for best performance. In those cases I would use mid or regular. However, from this forumm very helpful forum buy the way, I learned that the Honda Si premium fuel is a requirement and is not just a recommendation , but a requirement.

even burning lower performance premium, YAH MAN!

MidCow
    I am glad you finally come to your senses & changed your mind to burn premium instead of regular on the 06 SI.

Different cars "good" for different purposes. It is hard to compare apples to oranges.
  • riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    I'm curious.

Why do you have such a problem with "turbo lag" (you say "The plain WRX is really a dog unless you keep it spooled up all the time."), but, yet, you have no problem with "And I really like the Honda low torque, high rev engines; they are a blast to drive. " which, essentially, means that you have to keep these kind of engines "spooled up all the time" to get any power out of them.

Seems like the same thing, no?
    Hope you don't mind if I chime in, but turbo lag feels really different than the iVTEC of the Si. I am referring to the '00 Si and the 2.0 WRX, having driven them both extensively. Simply put, there is a linearity to the iVTEC that is not there in the turbos.

A turbo usually comes on sudden and hard. It can be quite a rush, but it usually feels as if it a little behind your movement on the throttle. With the 2.0 WRX, there was nothing below it. It was just dead until you got to the point where the turbo kicked in. Kind of felt like the peddle was rubbery until you reved it up. I found it annoying and awkward at first. Eventually, you learn to drive it, but the lag is always there, you just adjust to it.

With the Si, it is not exciting an low revs either, but it is steady. Low it feels like a normal compact, in the mid-range it seems like a really good compact, and when you spool it up high (say 6000 RPM) where most cars are redlining or reach a point of diminishing returns (even turbos), it turns it up a notch and just keeps giving well beyond where most cars can even go.

It's not a better or worse thing, just a preference, but I sure prefer the Si.

BTW, some turbos are much more subtle. The light turbo I drove in my Passat and is used in many Audis and VWs was much more linear, and I liked it quite a bit. Still, there was always a point when you put down the peddle and it seems to take a little while for the car to get to where you want it to be.
    Simply put, there is a linearity to the iVTEC

Magic of the variable valve timing ? The new 2.5L DOHC variable valve timing Turbo is a gem. The torque is available from down low (200+ lbs/ft from around 2000rpm) and to a very broad range till near redline. The powerband is very linear too. The good thing about the Boxer engine layout of Subaru is that it does not require power sapping balancers to reduce the vibration from the 4-cylinder, like with the Civic Si's inline-4 cylinder. The Boxer engines are naturally smooth with the opposing pistons cancelling out each others' vibrations, thus obviating the need for balancers.

Even though Subaru officially publishes figures like 230HP/235Torque for the WRX engine, unofficial dyno tests have shown that the true HP is well over 270hp/280Torque.

Anyway, to get back to the topic of the discussion...having owned Integras in the past, I would venture that the Civic Si should be a very capable and fun machine.
  • strumeliastrumelia Member Posts: 48
    So I'm getting the impression that the Si is all about revving the engine. :confuse:
    strumelia
    gonozony,

Thanks for the response. That very eloquently states my preference for the VTEC Si also.

And to answer Strumelia,

Whe you don't rev you are "Clark Kent" when you rev you become "superman" or at least feel like him ;)

Motor On,

MidCow

P.S. - Remember when the sayins were "Be cool" and "Make Love, not War"
    In a review of the new SI in Honda Tuning,they say there is a lag in acceleration due to the new Honda'drive by wire' throttle system.Instead of a throttle cable,gas pedal input is conveyed through a group of electronic governors to the throttle butterfly.They said " The lag between throttle input and power delivery is noticable and annoying when you're deep into a bout of spirited driving."

I still want to test drive this car ,but if this is true it's a major flaw in a car that the ripoff Honda dealers are trying to sell way over MSRP!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    In a review of the new SI in Honda Tuning,they say there is a lag in acceleration due to the new Honda'drive by wire' throttle system.Instead of a throttle cable,gas pedal input is conveyed through a group of electronic governors to the throttle butterfly.They said " The lag between throttle input and power delivery is noticable and annoying when you're deep into a bout of spirited driving."

I still want to test drive this car ,but if this is true it's a major flaw in a car that the ripoff Honda dealers are trying to sell way over MSRP!

I wonder if the drive-by-wire in the new Civic is similar to the drive-by-wire in the CR-V. I have a throttle cable going through the firewall to the drive-by-wire box, wher eit actuates the potentiometer. Then, through the wiring harness the signal is fed to the computer and the servo at the throttle. The lag is not noticeable, at least not as bad as the 1999 Jetta which I stalled due to lag. I have yet, to stall the CR-V.
    to the drive by wire in the CRV. The article says Honda is committed to the system and hopes that the aftermarket will come up with something to eliminate the lag.Noticable doesn't mean excessive though, and hopefully it was just an issue with that particular test car.While I'm still looking forward to a test drive,I have no intention of paying a penny over MSRP,as the car configured the way I want it with tax,destination and tags would be over 25K when you add the 2K ripoff fee! Sorry,but no Civic is worth 25K,especially when a RSX Type S can haggled down to the 22K range,with an all new 07 RSX on the way soon!
  • kalamazookalamazoo Member Posts: 18
    Midcow: I will be in Houston on Christmas eve driving a bright red 2006 Si. I have not picked the little beast up yet,but it will be driving from Michigan to Allen Parkway for it's inaugural run. Oh yes, you will see me. I'm old, female and it will have a Michigan plate. See ya partner. It's name will be Chili Pepper.
    see the new car section :0
    Okay some are the dealers are telling me that Edmunds.com is suggesting they sell for $2,000 over MSRP.

Thaey are going to sell at MSRP but they are going to be very limited and the price will go up in 6 months.

H'mmmm

Anybody else started talking to dealers ?

Cheers,

MidCow.

P.S.- If it isn't old news the September 5, 2005 Edmund chat dialog on the 2006 Civic is pretty informative. If you have already read it , I appoligize :)
    There is a head-to-head comparison between the Civic Si and a bunch of other cars (including the WRX) in "Automobile" magazine. The Si was the overall winner.
  • 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    I have an 03 Accord with drive by wire throttle, and its the one thing I hate about the car. Wish Honda would do away with it.

Everytime you floor the throttle froma higher gear, the car seems to collect its breath for a fraction of a second and then you feel the power come on.

I tried other Accords, all exhibit the same lag.
    "Everytime you floor the throttle froma higher gear, the car seems to collect its breath for a fraction of a second and then you feel the power come on"

H'mm don't notice it in a Accord Coupe 6-speed manual shift. Could it have something to do with automatic transmission ?

Cheers,

MidCow

P.S.- I am still trying to negotiate a Si commuter car :)
  • gmecca2gmecca2 Member Posts: 4
    For those who plan to pay above MSRP can you please tell me WHY?

Im not talking down on the SI but whats the rush.

Do people really go OHHHH WOW he drives a civic SI.

Doubt It..... Unless you are under the age of 20
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    I wonder has any of you seen this press release from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety:

http://www.iihs.org/news/2005/pr120405.html

The 2006 Civic got the Gold rating for overall crash safety from the IIHS, a truly landmark rating for a small car considering how rather extreme the IIHS test criteria has become in the last year or so. This would be the equivalent of the Civic getting a five-star impact crash and three-star pedestrian impact rating from the EuroNCAP authorities. :shades:
  • 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    Dunno about manual cars, but it could be htat in a stick shift you anyway release throttle while you change gears so maybe don't feel it. Not sure though.

In an auto, it happens pretty much most of the time.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    The crash test results are truly excellent. Keep in mind, though, that while the side crash test is absolute (all cars are impacted by the same size, shape, weight crash sled) the offset crash is weight based (comparable only with similar or lower weight vehicles).

In America we have a lot of what I consider to be oversized vehicles - pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles, in particular. I grew up in a passenger car dominated environment, so my mind set has always been to get a passenger car that is safe.

Now, as I look more around me, I realize freeway crashes, street crashes, may involve a much heavier compact or full size pickup, or SUV. Therefore I am gravitating more towards full size passenger cars (Five Hundred, Accord, Charger), minivans, small SUVs, and cross-overs. Sadly, passenger cars, which are one of the greatest family transportation vehicles ever devised, are sinking lower on the food chain...and compact and subcompacts are at the bottom of the passenger car chain, purely because of weight (although good body design and crash tests help a lot).

That having been said, a surprising number of traffic accidents are "single vehicle," and you are probably no better off in such a crash in a big vehicle than in a small vehicle. In this arena the Civic should shine.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    Every Honda automatic I've ever driven has behaved like this. When you floor it, there's a momentary pause before it kicks down and takes off.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    micweb,

I can understand you concerns, but once the Europeans started the European New Car Assessment Programme (EuroNCAP) crash test certification program several years ago, automakers around the world have done quite a lot to dramatically improve small car safety. As such, the 2006 Honda Civic is one of the few cars I know of that protect the passegers quite well even if you get hit by something as big as a Ford Expedition or GMC Envoy large SUV's.

Also, with the 2006 Civic, if you get into an accident the vehicle may be crumpled and be a total loss, but you'll probably survive the impact with relatively minor injuries. This is because all the body crumpling actually dissipates the energy of the impact so the force of the impact is far less on your body. Remember all those spectacular-looking auto race crashes with body parts seriously crumpling and flying all over the place? Race car engineers actually design that behavior into the car design because the crumpling of the body and body parts breaking away in a controlled manner enormously dissipates the force of the crash from the driver's standpoint.
  • bluesunitbluesunit Member Posts: 1
    Yeah, do not pay over MSRP . . . I'm picking up my Si later today (OH WOW, the kids are going to be SO jealous).

A local dealer had just happened to get one in. I went and drove it, etc ... he quoted me "23 to 24 thousand" for it. I told him I needed to think about it.

Went home, checked online, called other local dealers. Everyone else was selling at MSRP but had a several week waiting list.

Called first dealer, talked him "down" to 22,775, then told him that that wasn't good enough, and that I'd just go put my name on one of the lists and pay MSRP. He told me I was MAKING THOSE PRICES UP!

You have to love when a dealer calls you a liar. Anyway, I told him I don't appreciate being called a liar, that I'm a repeat customer (my 2001 Civic was from there), and that I'm feeling VERY disserviced. I told him I was going to put a deposit down at his competitors, and that if he still wanted to make an equitable deal, that he had 30 minutes to call me back.

So I the first Si in my area, I don't have to wait for it, I paid MSRP, and I made the dealer throw in all the extra junk (wheel locks, Scotchguard, etc) at no cost.

Don't let these people pull shinnanegans on you!
    It's true. Last month the dealer started out by telling me flat out they were NOT selling the 2006 EX Coupes for less than MSRP at this time. But I hardballed and 30 minutes later on I wound up getting mine for about $800 LESS than MSRP. I spent the extra 800 on options, so in the end I got my EX Coupe (not a Si) with lots of added options (fog lights, nose mask, leather steering wheel, mud guards, etc) ALL for the MSRP.
    strumelia
  • davisinladavisinla Member Posts: 7
    Now that some of you have been driving your new Civic coupes around, can you report on the real world mileage you're seeing?
  • donald02donald02 Member Posts: 54
    In early November I purchased a 2006 EX coupe for $1104 under MSRP with only a $49 processing fee added. Bought it from Sport Honda, Silver Spring,MD. As far as I know that's standard procedure at Sport Honda.
  • 06civic06civic Member Posts: 2
    I've had my MT coupe for about a month. I get around 40 HW. I drive conservatively so I get not too much less than that city.
    I paid about $1K less than MSRP also.
    But otd price is what counts...that was around 19200
  • albrew5albrew5 Member Posts: 9
    First tank was 28, second 29, third 30, fourth 31.8. I hope to see the numbers keep climbing and level off around 35. I don't drive with fuel economy in mind, but I'm not red-lining it all the time. Has anyone driven more than my 1400 miles and experienced when the engine actually "breaks in" and levels off in mileage?

Also, I am in CA, so I was wondering if our gas is worse for mileage, or what brand gas I should be putting in... does it make a difference?

-Alex
    Alex, are you referring to a 2006 Si or a 2006 Civic Coupe?
    Seems like kind of poor mileage. Are you driving mostly city or highway? Standard or automatic?
    strumelia
  • davisinladavisinla Member Posts: 7
    On my other car forums, the feeling is that mileage IS lower in California. But I would think that the Civic should be able to hit low- to mid-30s for combined city and hwy.

I am considering a Civic for my 100-mile round-trip freeway commute. 35 mpg (compared with the 20 I'm getting now) would be fabulous. Of course gas is the lowest it's been in quite a while, but I'm sure it will be heading up before too long.
    Well I specail ordered the Civic Si today at a little less than MSRP . They told me 6-8 weeks, I will keep you posted.

Summer Tires with NAV and fog lights, color Rallye Red.

It is going to be a great, no very excellent, commuter car !!!

Cheers,

MidCow

P.S.- I think I raised Honda's target demograhic age single handedly with my purchase. Go Old guys!!
  • natenj1971natenj1971 Member Posts: 174
    NY Times test Drive test drive/review found here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/18/automobiles/18AUTO.html
    Well obviously the NY Times reporter likes supercharging and turbocharging better than Hondas high 8,000 rpm Hp. But you gotta wonder how much to really believe when the writer confuses last year's shifter with the 2006 Si's. Did he really even see or drive a 2006 Civic Si or did he just pull press boiler plate from somewhere else?

Thanks for the link natenj1971,

Cruis'n,

MidCow
  • albrew5albrew5 Member Posts: 9
    I'm driving a 2006 civic coupe EX, automatic. I know...I agree that the mileage seems a bit crappy, but I don't know what I can do about it. Any advice? should I take it back to the dealership?
This discussion has been closed.