Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Towing

waltermaxwaltermax Member Posts: 1
edited December 2013 in Honda
I have a 1997 CR-V and I need to tow about 400 lbs of stuff from NC to RI. In addition to that I will probably have nearly 600 lbs in the cab, and the UHaul trailers weigh about 900 lbs. All together I'll have 1300 lbs behind the car, plus 850 lbs in the car (myself plus the wife).

The '97 CR-V is only rated for 1000 lbs. And my question is what damage will this do to the car? I'm assuming tranny, engine, or chasis, but I'm not certian. I've talked to others on a CR-V specific forum who mentioned towing similar or larger loads without a problem, and have said that the more important problem will be braking power, not engine or tranny.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Some of the CR-V owners who hang out in Honda CR-V may be able to advise you.

tidester, host
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    The CR-V's 1,000 lbs tow rating assumes you have some load in the vehicle, but I don't think it's a full 850 lbs.

If there is a problem with your '97, it'll be the transmission over-heating. The automatic in the 1997 CR-V is simply not designed for heavy duty utility. The engine shouldn't be impacted. If the engine can't do something, it simply doesn't do it. You won't break it unless you ignore signs of overheating or similar problems.

I think you'll get the same advice here as you have at HondaSUV.com. The brakes, suspension, and transmission are the problem.

If you decide to tote this load (I do know several folks who have towed more than the max.), make sure you get a trailer with brakes and hook them up. It's not just your life on the road.
  • matthewamatthewa Member Posts: 2
    Hello Waltermax
    I have a 1999 Honda CRV-EX that I tow a 2000LB boat with. Often I have 3 of my buddies in the V with me. This is 800lbs inside the truck and 2000lbs behind it. Also a large beer cooler in the cargo area another(100lb?).
    With a transmission cooler and trailer brakes this is no problem. I have towed 1500lbs without a tranny cooler although I still used trailer brakes, again with no problem.
    An acquitance of mine has towed a John Deere farm tractor (2300 lbs)with his V from Detroit Michigan to Traverse City (250 miles), with no problems either.
    One word of advice though, always tow with overdrive locked out. If merging on the freeway it is advisable to down shift to 2nd gear until 50mph to stop gear hunting.
    Towing limits are often determined by companies that are paranoid about lawsuits. The Honda CRV website for the UK lists the towing limit of the V at 3300lbs BRAKED. Less aggressive lawyers? maybe.

The Honda CRV, is often imitated, never duplicated and always underestimated.
    Matt
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    If I were you, I would rent a larger truck and drive the CR-V up into it with all your stuff and just drive the truck up there. Don't know about the cost difference, but you wouldn't have to worry about destroying your tranny and you wouldn't put any miles on your CR-V.

Just a thought.
  • matthewamatthewa Member Posts: 2
    Hello Waltermax
    If I were you I would just tow the load you are suggesting. Going 300lbs over the max tow rating will not harm your transmission or anything else on the vehicle. Lock it out of overdrive, keep the speed under 60mph and leave more stopping distance and you should be fine. :D

Matthew Asselin
  • ironhead2ironhead2 Member Posts: 2
    I would like to put a trailer hitch on my 2005 CRV, I was wondering how hard it is to put on myself, it says in the manual there is a electrial plug in the left side of the rear compartment,how do you get the wire to the out side without drilling a hole in the back compartment.thanks for any help
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I would like to put a trailer hitch on my 2005 CRV, I was wondering how hard it is to put on myself, it says in the manual there is a electrial plug in the left side of the rear compartment,how do you get the wire to the out side without drilling a hole in the back compartment.thanks for any help

Courtesy of the site sponsor, HandA accessories (link up on top)
    Hitch and harness installation instructions

Trailer hitch intself and wireing harness (scroll down half page)
  • ironhead2ironhead2 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for your reply, it gave me alot of info,I am not sure if I want to do it my self or bring it somewhere, but thanks again for your help
  • sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    Has anyone used the Hidden Hitch trailer hitch for the second generation CRV? Did you use the lighting kit also? What was your experience with this setup? Does it bolt directly to the frame? How hard was it to install?

Thanks in advance.
  • rday1rday1 Member Posts: 1
    DOES HONDA HAVE A TOWING PACKAGE WITH THE 2006 CRV SE.

IS THERE A HONDA TRANSMISSION COOLER FOR THIS MODEL. IF NOT, CAN ANOTHER HONDA MODEL TRANSMISSION COOLER BE INSTALLED?
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "IS THERE A HONDA TRANSMISSION COOLER FOR THIS MODEL. IF NOT, CAN ANOTHER HONDA MODEL TRANSMISSION COOLER BE INSTALLED?"

Why do you want one? The CR-V is only rated to 1500 lbs towing...

If you plan on towing that much, buy a different vehicle that has a large V-6, and is meant for towing a lot more weight.

BTW, it is considered impolite to YELL BY USING THE CAPS ON while typing...
  • voicedudevoicedude Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,
    I've just installed a hitch on my '02 CR-V, and plan to do some light duty towing. I would, however, like to install some kind of air shocks or coilovers to protect the rear suspension, and I've been unable to find anything on the market. Does anyone know of a manufacturer? Thanks! :)
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    Don't know of any shocks or stuff, but you could google CRV shocks and I bet you would find an owners forum with all kinds of that info.

By the way, what kind of hitch did you put on?

Thanks.

TB
  • countryboyjoe1countryboyjoe1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Guys,
    I am seeking some sage advice here. I'd love to get a pop-up trailer to further enjoy my love of camping, but I'm worried about that 1000lb towing capacity, because a trailer under that is TOUGH to find! I've installed my own tow hitch (Class 2, I know it's overkill, but I like being able to use the more standard inserts!) and the lighting wiring. FYI I got all my stuff off the Net, Etrailer.com, great prices! So here are my questions:
    1. Should I worry if I stray over that 1000lb limit a little? Say 1200-1500 neighborhood?

2. Should I ONLY get a trailer with brakes? If so and they're electric, not surge, then is it a big deal to get a brake controller installed? Or can I do it myself?

3. Should I DEFINITELY get a tranny cooler, no matter what size/weight of trailer I end up with? Is a cooler tough to DIY, or should I find myself a good tranny shop?

Of course anything I do has got to be as thrifty as possible, as I'm a college student on a TIGHT budget. Many thanks ahead of time for any and all advice guys! Joe
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Does it have to be a pop up? Personally, I like the tear drop campers.

http://www.golittleguy.com/

If you've got an EX or SE, you can even have friends sleep on the "bed" inside the CR-V.
  • countryboyjoe1countryboyjoe1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Varmint,
    I've checked out the teardrops too, and I do like em, but I feel a little more partial to the popups, and they're WAY more common, so I should be able to find one at a reasonable price.
    STILL hoping for some input on the tranny cooler and all though guys....Any advice?
  • jennyjune1jennyjune1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 CRV and I'd like to add a tow package to it to tow a sailboat. Do you know if Honda offers tow packages for my model year, and how much they typically cost?
  • philcarphilcar Member Posts: 2
    i'm on 3rd honda 73 &74 civic, 2000 crv. Hondas are way over-engineered, BUT use common sense!!!!!!! terrain , grades, aerodynamics, headwinds & altitude are often more imptnt than pure weight!
    I've towed quite a bit over 50 years (some I try to forget). :cry:
  • rick_corinnerick_corinne Member Posts: 1
    First of all I hope I have got this right as I am converting from Australian Kilos to US lbs.

We bought a new 2005 Honda CRV with the intention of towing a light camper trailer.
    Honda’s recommended max tow weight un braked 600kg =1,323 lb
    Braked 1200kg =3,526 lb

The camper trailer we bought weighed in at 350kg = 771 lb
    We worked it out that loaded it would be close to the 600kg =1,323 lb
    So we decided to get push brakes fitted to the trailer
    while it was being built to be on the safe side and to
    make it easer on the CRV.

Now we find that on right hand lock (especially going through a V dip) the handle on the tow ball hitch hit’s the spare wheel, going along the highway it’s OK but going over steep driveways or setting the trailer up on uneven ground it could put pressure on the spare wheel and damage the tailgate if you are not very careful, going off road with it would be asking for trouble, the only solution we can come up with is to remove the spare wheel if we are going off road at all which causes a storage problem.

Has anyone else came across this problem and worked out a solution?
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    the only solution we can come up with is to remove the spare wheel if we are going off road at all which causes a storage problem.

Has anyone else came across this problem and worked out a solution?

Throw it in the trailer?

Fit a mount on the back of the trailer?

Don't go off roading with the trailer? I don't think that even Jeep owners go off roading with trailers.
  • starmannstarmann Member Posts: 4
    Hi folks, I'm just wondering if anyone has any information about towing a crv behind a motorhome. Specifically does the odometer rack up miles while the car is being towed with all four wheels on the ground. I'd appreciate any help you can give me.
  • jerrycrvjerrycrv Member Posts: 1
    Looking for assistance connecting trailer lights to wiring harness in rear of 03 Honda CRV
  • danpf1danpf1 Member Posts: 89
    starmann, I have been towing a 1998 EX CR-V sense 99 with the quick disconnect Road master tow bar, without any problems. The odometer is electronic and does not record mileage while being towed. I Purchased a towing light kit from C/W, instead of wiring into the car harness. I didn't want to deal with blown fuses and a possible blown computer, they hook up in the rear tail light lens, but run directly to the wiring connection on the Motorhome. It took me about a half a day to install, the instruction are very good, HTH.

Dan
  • starmannstarmann Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Dan That helps.
  • cscottrun1cscottrun1 Member Posts: 1
    Try this link:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/crv/02crvharness.pdf

My CR-V didn't come with remote door locks and bought one on ebay. Apparently, Honda routes all the cables for all or most of the optional equipment so if you add an option later, the wiring is already in place. The remote door lock installation took all of 15 minutes. Looks like the wiring for a trailer is there also. The instructions on the link look like they are for a Honda wiring harness. I didn't see a year model on the instructions, but it's a start.

Hope this helps!
    cscottrun1
  • rjsofierjsofie Member Posts: 1
    Dan I assumed that C/W you mean camping world I looked in their internet catlog for a wire system like you described but found none but my main question is how did you get the new wire up to the tail lights I really didn't want to take all the panels off if there was an easier way. Thanks Gene
  • montanahondamontanahonda Member Posts: 1
    I am a certified honda sales rep. the 2007 crv is able to be flat towed without racking up miles
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    We bought a new 2005 Honda CRV with the intention of towing a light camper trailer.
    Honda’s recommended max tow weight un braked 600kg =1,323 lb.. Braked 1200kg =3,526 lbs....

I believe the max recommended tow weight for the CR-V is 1500 lbs.

From Edmunds Specs:

Performance:
    Base Number of Cylinders: 4 Base Engine Size: 2.4 liters
    Base Engine Type: Inline 4 Horsepower: 156 hp
    Max Horsepower: 5900 rpm Torque: 160 ft-lbs.
    Max Torque: 3600 rpm Maximum Towing Capacity: 1500 lbs. Drive Type: AWD Turning Circle: 34.1 ft.

Kip
    "I believe the max recommended tow weight for the CR-V is 1500 lbs. "

European Spec CR-Vs will tow almost 3000 lbs if the trailer has brakes, even though they only have a 2.0 liter engine.
  • jimrexjimrex Member Posts: 1
    I just got off the phone with American Honda Customer Service. I asked what the difference is between the American & European CRVs and nobody there knew the answer, worse they said there is no one I can call to get an answer. There must be a good difference since one can tow 1500 lbs and the other 1500 kgs.
    "There must be a good difference since one can tow 1500 lbs and the other 1500 kgs."

The only difference I know of is that the Euro spec has a 2.0 liter engine instead of our 2.4 liter engine here in the US.

The Euro spec CR-V is also limited to 1500 lbs, if the trailer does not have it's own brakes. This leads me to believe the US spec could also tow more if the trailer had brakes. I suspect we are dealing with some kind of legal issue here that is causing the company to be very conservative in their ratings.
  • rcschermanrcscherman Member Posts: 1
    I would like to buy a Honda CRV to drive about 120 miles between my home and a lake cottage. Once there I have a pontoon boat and the combined weight of boat, motor and trailer is 2200 lbs. The round trip down to the marina and back to the cottage is 4 miles. There is one moderate incline hill about 200 feet long. Would this create any damage to engine or tranny?
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    It is doubtful, exceeding by even double the stated weight limits, would do "damage" so long as it is only occasionally, and for distances that short, IMO.
  • vamseevamsee Member Posts: 1
    I used a dirt bike stand called MX Tailmate on my Nissan PathFinder. Is there any chance this stand will work with the CRV?

http://www.mxtailmate.com/

The local dealer says the maximum capacity on the hitch sold by Honda is 1500 lbs for towing a trailer but only 220 lbs for a dirt bike stand+ bike. My bike is almost 250lbs. Are there any after market options for hitch that can help me carry my bike on my CRV without a trailer (using the MXTailmate stand).
  • rtedrted Member Posts: 11
    Hey, certified sales rep,

Perhaps you can answer this question. I asked my local service dept. if my adding a good brand name trans cooler such as B&M to my 2005 "V" would affect the car warranty. He said yes, it would void the transmission warranty because it's not their cooler and that I should have picked up their tow package. Near as I can figure, the CR-V didn't have a package available, except for a hitch alone. So, are they saying that a cooler (that the industry knows will prolong a transmissions' life, and that THEY offer for the Odessy and Pilot, etc) is a bad idea??

I was also told the same about my hitch, that being as I added a hitch (non-honda) without the tow package, then whatever I do in a cooler is moot since I've already rendered the trans. warranty void by putting the hitch on it.

Again, what package, and what does it come with? I don't think I'm any more inclined to keep a load under 1,499 lbs if I use a Honda hitch than I am if I use a Hidden-Hitch product. And I'd love to know if and why a warranty would be void if I stay within the tow limit of the vehicle as stated in my manual, which does NOT say anything about that limit being subject to or predicated by a special cooling package.

Thanks for anything you might have to offer on this as I'll appreciate any information you may be able to provide.

Regards,

Ted
    re: dirt bike stand on a CRV by vamsee Nov 14, 2006

I can see them asking you to keep the tongue weight of a motorcycle carrier under 220#. Especially when that weight's not just trailer tongue weight on a hitch ball that's a foot out from the unibody's closest mount point.

The 220 lbs they're worried about on that carrier referenced, is centered on a lever that's about a yard away from the mount point.

Picture taking a 2" square tube that's about that long and run it from the hitch receiver straight back, and put 220 lbs on it. Bounce it up and down a lot for a half hour & look at the places where the hitch bolts in place. I bet you'll want to discontinue that exercise afterwards.

The CR-V's not the small-truck frame that a Nissan Pathfinder is (meaning no disrespect towards the question or towards the Honda Co). It may be the equivalent of a Civic hatchback on steroids, but still a Civic chassis with Civic stamped sheet-metal limitations. It's a great car for what it's made for.

-ted
  • crv16crv16 Member Posts: 205
    "I just got off the phone with American Honda Customer Service. I asked what the difference is between the American & European CRVs and nobody there knew the answer, worse they said there is no one I can call to get an answer. There must be a good difference since one can tow 1500 lbs and the other 1500 kgs."

We have more lawyers here. The tow ratings for the *same car* are often 1/4 to 1/2 of what they are for European models.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Just a change of engine coolant and transmission fluid will keep your crv cooler than it would otherwise be.
  • greenteacrvgreenteacrv Member Posts: 22
    There will soon be a plug and play trailer wiring harness from Draw-Tite to work with my Curt hitch.

http://www.draw-tite.com/fitguides/details.asp?ProdID=118427&dlr=0
  • baba6baba6 Member Posts: 1
    Can an all wheel drive be towed flat behind a motorhome? We presently tow a Civic Hybrid without a problem but don't know about a all wheel drive. Anybody know?
  • nwlandscapenwlandscape Member Posts: 1
    I own a landscaping company and I'm planning on buying an enclosed trailer next week to keep my equipment safe. I'm currently driving a 1998 CRV. The trailer weighs in at 1,210 lbs. with additional weight from my equipment, which is in or around 600lbs. Am I going to have problems with this?
    Yes, you will have problems. The first-generation CR-V is rated 1,000 pounds tow weight, which in any venue means the trailer and the load that's in it.

Some vehicles are rated to mean that their "tow weight" means trailer, stuff in it, and any guests + baggage inside the car as well. In any case, you're over the Honda design weight for that car just with the trailer alone.

Another good forum for you to visit is www.hondasuv.com

Hope another solution can be found for your needs.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Make sure oil,transmission fluid and coolant are fresh and topped up. Change atf every 25,000 max. I think you are pushing the limit a little too far. Just my .02.
    Yes, if you're asking about the CR-V specifically. In fact, the RT-AWD MUST be towed flat, all four wheels on the ground [or all wheels off the ground on a flatbed]. Failure to heed this warning will cause the hydraulically-activated all wheel mechanism to engage (one axle spinning faster than the other = engagement) and you'll tear it up permanently.

Now for proper RV-towing, all wheels on the ground, there's an important sequence to follow with putting the transmission (automatic that is) into neutral, after which you can tow for a couple hundred miles at a time before repeating the sequence that leaves critical parts lubricated for a while.

The sequence is (1) start engine, (2) shift to Drive and let sit for a minute or so, (3) shift direct to Neutral and leave it there, (4) turn off engine. Now that's from memory and I don't tow my car; follow instructions in the manual carefully.

I don't know of any provisions necessary to pull the standard shift model.
    Except for Oil, every 5K for most people (that's for "severe" service, which is said to include freezing weather, short trips, hot weather - what's that leave?)
  • robo_geekrobo_geek Member Posts: 20
    on my 02 CR-V I installed a CURT class 2.5 hitch.

It has a 2" receiver, and bolted on with no drilling.

I did this for a bike rack that needed a 2" receiver.

http://www.curtmfg.com/
  • robo_geekrobo_geek Member Posts: 20
    www.Curtmfg.com Class 2.5, 2" receiver. Was able to fit Thule 964 'Revolver' folding bike rack that holds four bikes.

Honda factory hitch receiver is too small for big bike racks, plus you gotta drill to install it, and remove half the interior panels to do it.

Curt hitch installed in 20 minutes, no drilling, no need to take interior panels off. Has very nice epoxy finish. I did not install honda wiring kit, since I don't need it at this time.

400lb tongue weight, 4000lb gtw (don't tow this much with your CR-V unless you have a death wish!!)
  • mikezzzmikezzz Member Posts: 2
    I have an 07 crv and would like to carry 4 bikes. No hitch yet and I looking at that Curtmfg class 2.5. Honda only recommends a class one hitch. Would this 2.5 do any damage to attachement points if only holding a bike rack and 4 bikes?

Thanks,

Mikus
  • sgrigorysgrigory Member Posts: 17
    I went to www.Curtmfg.com and it has great info.

But, how/where do you buy things from them? They don't seem to sell online and I didn't see a dealer list either.
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    You can get the Curt hitch from etrailer.com. I'm sure there are other places out there, as well.