Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Escalade

Comments

• oilman2oilman2 Member Posts: 1
    I drove into Dallas a few days ago with my
    '95 tahoe looking pretty dirty going through
    the recent snow storms and I stopped by the
    GMC/Cadillac dealer, what do you know I drove
    out with an Escalade. Don't let anyone ever
    tell you that the Escalade rides like the
    tahoes and yukons. The suspension is completely different. It rides so much like an STS that my mom traded in her '97 for an Escalade as well. The tightness of the construction from the Arlington plant is amazing. I've never driven a GM truck like this. If you're considering the Denali, go for the Escalade, its much better looking despide the limit of four colors. I also looked at the Lincoln Navigator, but aside from the electronically adjustable pedals and 3rd seat, which you have to be very small to get to anyway (no texans I know), there wasn't much that the fake leather and unappealing looks could offer. Not to mention you can actually feel the road in the Escalade, I do wish however the dash was updated. They changed the colors of the blacklighting so its easier to see, and all mirrors are electrochromic so night time isn't so bad with those big mirrors. I had a an expensive aftermarket stereo system in my tahoe, but saw no need to transfer it because the bose system with subwoofer is just fine for me now (maybe I grew up). At least there's enough truck in the escalade that you don't feel back about the occasional off road trip. In the navigator I felt like I'd rip off all that pastic body panels any minute. There's nothing that anyone could say about the Escalade that would make me feel bad about my decision.
  • greenml430greenml430 Member Posts: 21
    I also as many of you did, drove the Navigator, Denali, Escalade, LX470, & Mercedes extensively before buying! While I am totally pleased with my choice of the ML430, the only other vehicle truly considered in the same class was the two GM variants! My biggest problem was why GM wouldn't spends a few dollars for rear discs on a 45K+ SUV. I was left totally unimpressed with the Lincoln and concerned about their transmission woes,the Lexus was OK, but over-priced for what it offered,the Mercedes fit my needs best, & the 4.3 V-8 truly transforms the M-Class into a fun vehicle! I looked at the 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 & QuadraTrac but was a little leary of it, & noone that you care about over 5'6" should ever be sentenced to that rear seat, "Sheesh" it's tiny! I have a late model Suburban & it has 240,000 miles with no major problems! I actually prefer the Denali's grill & trim, but would have bought the Escalade for the Cadillac perks! I can hardly wait to see the Escalade that will be based on the "New Platform" when it arrives! It may be trading time for me then! Well good luck to you all, & thanks for your time!
  • kuchnickikuchnicki Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when the "New Platform" Escalade will be available, and what it will look like? Is it worth waiting for? Why didn't Cadillac just wait for the new technology?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    >>Why didn't Cadillac just wait
    for the new technology?<<

I agree. Apparently the loss of sales (marketshare) was just too much for Cadillac (GM) to cope with. Speaking of marketshare, since it was introduced, I've seen fewer than dozen Escalades on the roads. On the other hand, Navigators, Expeditions, MLs, RX300s, Grand Cherokees, and Land Cruisers/RX470s seem to be everywhere.

Bob
  • slyone1slyone1 Member Posts: 1
    Well, after reading all the Escalade negative commments here, what did I do? Bought one this weekend. I have tested the Durango, presently own
    a Jeep Cherokee. I may say something different in the coming weeks, but I can say without reservation, this is the best automobile I have ever driven. My brother bought a Ford Expedition 2 weeks ago, paid 38k and I paid 45k for mine, and I will say, without reservation, the Cadillac quality, etc, eats the fords, durango, etc alive.
    I would suspect all the negative comments here come from two factions, want-a-bes and others who have not driven one and probably wouldnt be allowed to if they went to a dealer.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    For those interested in what AutoCom thinks of the Escalade, check this site:

http://www.auto.com/topstories/r1.htm

For what it's worth, I think they nailed it dead on.

Bob
    I drove the Denali & Escalade on more than one occasion before buying & have been driving Jeeps & Suburbans for 25+ years. While the Escalade is a fine vehicle it has a few weak spots, now your ego may not allow you to admit this & that's OK. But don't categorize me for being informed in the SUV arena. I think when GM puts the Escalade on the New Platform it will cure most of my concerns. But until then I'm loving my ML 430 & will wait to see how the General responds in the 40K & up bracket. Oh, good luck with the Caddilac!
  • aimanaiman Member Posts: 61
    What does the Escalade has that the Denali doesn't have other than the Cadillac leather material? From what I know, the Navigator or Denali is a better buy. My biggest critic on Escalade is a very cheap looking dash board and lack of an auto a/c for a mid $40G vehicle.
  • davidcalhoundavidcalhoun Member Posts: 13
    As soon as the Escalade came out, I was wondering why anyone would buy the 1999 model. The entire G.M. SUV line-up is due for a re-design in 2000.
    The new generation of G.M. SUV's will have better technology (better engines, brakes, chassis, etc)
    So why buy this 1999 Escalade?
    If you run into a dealer who won't let you test drive a Cadillac because of your "ripped up jeans", show the owner your IRS 1040 taxes and then tell him "don't judge a book by it's cover".
    Sometimes I just have my bank's president call the dealership to inform them of their loss.

There are two types of people: 1)Those who have it and don't need to flaunt it. 2) Those who don't and pretend they do --- it must make them feel "special" or "superior" --- get a life.
  • cdg19cdg19 Member Posts: 15
    I suppose Caddilac will come out with a truck next just like the Navigator truck
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    Have all you Escalade fans heard that the new Escalade is not coming out for at least another year? You're stuck with the old one while GMC and Chevy get the updated and vastly improved new one.

What is GM/Cadillac thinking? Of course, I guess we should expect this from the division that forgot how to count back in December 1998.
  • no_body_74no_body_74 Member Posts: 5
    I think you better check your sources. Cadillac is coming out with a completely redesigned Escalade in 2000. They have not shown it an auto show yet because they are working to differentiate it from the Denali and other GM SUV. I think they are going to try to have a different exterior shape as well as a more "Cadillac" interior with the electronic climate control and stereo unit that Cadillac is famous for.
    I understand the "New Platform" Escalade will be a Mid-Year release & most likely marketed as a 2001 model. Cadillac however is working feverishly to bring it in earlier. The Navigator is killing both the Denali & Escalade together in total sales & GM needs to build a fire under the engerneering team redesigning this VERY profitable SUV. The sooner it arrives, if done well, the better.
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    My "source" is the June 1999 issue of Automobile magazine. They said that it is coming out next year as a 2001 model. The new Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon are out this fall.

As greenml430 has said, hopefully Cadillac is taking the time to truly differentiate the Escalade from its lesser cousins. At least Ford was wise enough to equip the Navigator with an exclusive engine at 300hp. Perhaps GM is thinking along the same lines....
  • revgslickrevgslick Member Posts: 5
    Let me be the first to bring a contrarion point of view.
    A) PPl who are spending 10k more for a navigator over an expedition are either buying an XLT Expy or are getting raped by the dealer. If you are to comparably equip a navigator and an Expedition E/B the difference sums up to $4-$5k. With this you get different leather, 2nd row buckets, 300hp DOHC engine, better warranty etc.
    B). I test drove a Denali, Escalade, Land Cruiser, Expedition, Navigator and LX470.
    The two entrants from Toyota were just awesome pieces of machinery but the price difference for a decent looking Land Cruiser/LX470 is astonishing compared to the Ford/GM luxo-utes so they were off the list.
    I liked the Denali and the tu-tone leather, didn't even think about the escalade because the major difference (onstar) can be had on the denali.
    The Expedition just didn't lust me as much as the Navigator.
    So now I was down to the Navigator or Denali. My decision was the Navigator because of the more powerful engine (300hp) vs. (255). I need to tow a boat so the tow capacity issue was a must. Also, the Denali didn't have a third seat so it couldn't fit the bill. Also, I managed to save 2k on the navigator compared to the denalis because the dealers wouldn't budge off of MSRP.
    With the 2k I went and upgraded my speakers in the Nav and also had an Alpine CVA-1000 TV screen installed. I am very happy with the deal but to each his own. Just thought I would let you know what I picked and why.
  • bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
    Road Test: Cadillac Escalade, coming soon to the front page of www.edmunds.com

Bonnie Rick
    Town Hall Community Manager, Edmunds.com
  • s_cole00s_cole00 Member Posts: 3
    I enjoyed Edmond's review of the Caddy SUV. I own a '96 Tahoe. I really like the vehicle. I felt silly buying it when there's only me and the Mrs., but then we have a 20' boat to tow and had numerous mishapps trying to haul it in and out of unimproved launch ramps with our '81 Buick Century wagon. Hauling everything from firewood to furniture was easier too. My RC boat racing hobby takes me to many off road ponds as well. There's actually room to sleep in the back when rain starts soaking my tent at a camp site. The big truck makes freeway driving in the snow almost a joy. The vehicle laughs off snow drifts that would spin-out a car.

I actually wanted a vehicle based on a chassis that was around a long time. My hope was that bugs would all be worked out and I could expect a machine that wouldn't spend time at the dealer. So far this has been true. The vehicle has not been back under the warranty.

I have enhanced the vehicle slightly to deal with some of the minor short-commings. A set of heavier Bilstein shocks to stop wind wander and firm up the ride. A set of Stainless Steel gas slotted disc's for the rear brakes. Carbon fiber pads for the front. This baby WILL STOP! This setup pulls up the pedal slop too.

The ultimate cruelty was that I purchased a 99 Civic Si to use for my long work commute and spare the gas and the wear and tear on my Tahoe, but when I got the insurance bill I found that I could have driven the Tahoe for even money. The Si cost 2.5 times what the Tahoe does to insure and that's at least the fuel cost difference.
  • nancytnancyt Member Posts: 4
    I'm so glad to find this discussion. I have a 98 STS and wouldn't trade it for anything. However I have been tearing out my hair shopping for an SUV. I was disappointed to see the drop-down tailgate on the Escalade. Loading & unloading way too difficult. On the GMC website I see the 2000 Yukon will have a liftgate option, but my Cadillac dealer says the 2000 Escalade will be unchanged. Some of the comments I'm reading here about a new platform are giving me hope. I'd like to stay with GM for the Onstar system. Maybe 2000 is too early to buy if big changes are coming later?
  • jarrettwjarrettw Member Posts: 14
    Nancy, have you thought about the GMC Denali? You can get the doors with it and also the Onstar system
  • mjordan23mjordan23 Member Posts: 1
    Do you think 'brand names' are worth the expensive price? I mean from ck, to tommy hilfiger, adidas, jordan, abercrombie and fitch, eddie bauer, gap, fubu, r.l. polo, nike, roxy quiksilver, etc. etc. you could spend a million dollars on ten shirts. it is rediculous.!!!
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    Some of my "Pickups" conferee's...

have been getting downright rude lately! I will not permit this rudeness to begin here. Please reread your Participants Agreement. Obscene, rude and uncivil behavior will NOT be tolerated!

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickup, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
  • vosakivosaki Member Posts: 5
    I guess the above posting is a joke. I haven't read everyone of the postings here, but at their worst, the posters are merely stating blunt opinions. Compared to what you just wrote, other comment seem mild.
    Stop trying to be a minor league censor.
  • vosakivosaki Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone explain the benefits of On Star. As I understand it, Cadillac provides it free, but after the first year, you pay $20 a month. That sound exactly like a cell phone contract. And its about the same price. But what you end up with is a brain damaged cell phone that can only be used to call a tow truck.
  • chevy10chevy10 Member Posts: 17
    Remember Vic, if you can afford a 45,000 dollar rig than you can afford another twenty bucks a month. On Star can also save your life. If the air bag is ever deploided then the on star communications will send an ambulence so if you hit a tree at one in the morning and no one is around there will be help on the way no matter where you are. Now if its your life were talking about i think its worth the extra twenty bucks a month.
    Vic, here's my poiint of view on Onstar. When I bought my STS I also thought it was just another toy, and since I don't use my cell phone while driving, I didn't buy it. After learning more about it, I did go back and have it installed. I drive several times a year from L.A. to the eastern Sierra alone. Sure, if something goes wrong out on 395 I can use a cell phone to call for help. However, on an unfamiliar stretch of hwy or way out where roadsigns and landmarks are few and far between, it isn't always easy to know your exact location. At least Onstar knows where the heck I am within 100 yds, even if I don't. I like knowing that a real live person is on the other end of my Onstar button. Also, as Chevy10 said, if the airbags deploy, they call the car. If no response, they send emergency vehicles. If my thinking isn't flawed, it also makes Lo-Jack somewhat redundant. If the security system is violated, they also call the car looking for a password. Without it, police are notified. In theory, my car could be stolen and recovered before I know it's missing. Locking keys in the car probably happens less with remote locking, but if it happens, you can call Onstar and they can unlock the door remotely. Of course there is the frivolous stuff too: finding a hotel in the next town, closest restaurant, atm etc. Maybe with guys the personal security thing isn't such a big deal, but for me personally, the peace of mind I have driving around alone as I do, is well worth the cost. True, I haven't needed it yet. I have only needed my earthquake insurance once also, but I was REALLY glad on 1-17-94 that I had paid the premiums all those years.! Just my opinion.
  • glenmarglenmar Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking at SUV's, specifically Escalade, Navigator, Tahoe and Yukon Denali - I understand that the Tahoe will have a new "truck" body for 2000, is it the Z71 body, and will it be put on the Escalade as well? No dealer will tell me, since I seem to be leaning to the escalade (2000), they keep pushing the 99 saying it will not be different???
    2nd question, has anyone heard when the new Denali is due out, I understand it will be VERY close in similarities to the Escalade?? Thanks for any Help...
  • jarrettwjarrettw Member Posts: 14
    What I have heard is the 2000 Tahoe will get the new body and chassis the trucks got last year. The Escalade won't be updated until 2001. Not sure how concrete this is. Hope this helps.
  • greyghstgreyghst Member Posts: 1
    Tell you what, it doesn't matter to me when Cadillac comes out with the re-designed Escalade. I have one and the machine is a dream to me. The smooth ride alone blows the Navigator out of the water. Bigger isn't always better.
  • blake6blake6 Member Posts: 1
    IS the 2000 Denali getting the new truck chaises
  • carlccarlc Member Posts: 3
    From what I understand, the Denali and the Escalade won't get the updated platform until the 2001 model year.
    I've had my fingers crossed for the new platform for this year. I really want an SUV for this winter and would love an Escalade, but it seems silly to buy one one year before the new platform comes out. I also didn't want to deal with a drop-down tailgate; too hard to reach over to load and unload. I had hoped for a liftgate, which the GM website says will be an option on the Yukon for 2000. My cadillac dealer says he has a 2000 Escalade in now with the "barn door" style doors. I'll keep hoping until October, then tear my hair out trying to decide what to do. I'm glad to hear from greyghst that the ride is really smooth. I'll have to drive one. I went with friends to test drive a Land Cruiser and it was fantastic. I would really like to see the Escalade measure up.
  • cbolencbolen Member Posts: 1
    Bought an Escalade about two weeks ago. Love the truck but am having serious problems with alignment. At first the truck pulled badly to the left, with or without any braking input. A trip to the local Caddy store did not correct the problem (they said that they aligned the truck). A second trip resulted in a new set of wheels and tires, a second alignment and slightly less "Towards the median we go" pulling". The problem seems to be amplified by any crown on the roadway. Let me know if anyone else is experiencing these types of problems
  • stevelongstevelong Member Posts: 2
    I was at the local Cadilac dealer today. 1999 & 2000 models are on the lot. No change in pricing for 2000 (yet) ... based on the last price increase for the late 1999's. Can anyone tell me what numbers they are getting for residuals? I have been told 59% for 45K and 62% for 36K on a 3 year lease. How do these numbers compare.

I have also seen notes of dealers selling at MSRP. Just wondering how that is now that we are closer to 2000, and with the 1999's on the lot. Locally, we have $1,500 rebate on 99 Escalade ... and $1,000 on Denali. 2000 Denali has On-Star as standard ... supposedly some sort of difference in the services offered between the Denali and Escalade (vanilla, vs. vanilla fudge)?
  • birtmicbirtmic Member Posts: 2
    For all potential escalade buyers: why not buy a
    Denali and donate the extra do-re-mi to charity?
    Or better yet, send it to me. Of course, it you want to pay $$$ simply for a Cadillac badge on a
    GMC truck, then I guess that's your deal. Don't know if anyone else remembers the Cimmaron, but Caddy's continual badge engineering is pathetic.
  • gaskinsgaskins Member Posts: 8
    Anyone have any news on the 2001 model. What changes are in store beyond the platform modification?
  • shellkneeshellknee Member Posts: 1
    Im in the market for a new suv but not sure whats
    available in a 7 passenger I already have the durango.
  • sobosksobosk Member Posts: 3
    I am looking into buying an Escalade and have already taken a test drive. I was extremely impressed and am very interested. Can anyone give me some info. on their experiences with the Escalade? Pros., Cons. problems that I didn't see in the test drive? Also, how far were you able to haggle the price down to? Let me know ASAP. Thanks!
  • king1king1 Member Posts: 5
    Do not waste your time or $$ buy a Lexus Lx470..........
    King1

There is not a chance I would by a Lexus. They are too overpriced and are basically a gussied up Toyota. Thanks anyway.
  • crlcrl Member Posts: 3
    and the Escalade isn't an overpriced, gussied up Chevy Tahoe!!!!
  • regimilr31regimilr31 Member Posts: 2
    I have owned an escalade for a couple of months now and I could not be happier with it. I was also debating at the time between a navigator and escalade. I made the right choice with the escalade...it is unbelievable....the ride is unparalleled to any other SUV. Even the Denali felt different in the handling department. The superior bose sound system is something to marvel at...the quality of sound is amazing. And for the next model Cadillac is offering the same rear styling doors that the denali has, but i prefer the original tailgate.

Cadillac did one hell of a job with this SUV and all you haters out their just don't know....
    It's too bad that the 2000 Cadillac could not get the benefits of GM's re-design. Better engine and brakes, just to mention a few improvements. I would wait for the new model.
  • bordeauxml55bordeauxml55 Member Posts: 3
    The 2000 Tahoe is built on the new platform with 4 wheel discs & the new suspension, but for 10K to 15K more the Escalade/Denali has to wait until 2001. Does this make sense to anyone?What does this say about Cadillac as GM's technology leader? I'll give you this though, the Escalade/Denali are the best looking SUV's on the market. In fact the White Escalade is my favorite, or maybe its the Gold Denali, no it has to be a Black Caddie, ah well they all look GOOD!!!
    I really appreciate your help. I won't be able to wait until 2001, but I am plenty satisfied with the 2000 version. Great to hear good things about it. I am pretty sure that we are going to purchase the Escalade.
    I really like the ride and looks of the Caddy, but I am confused by the impending changes. Does anyone have any solid info on what changes to expect with the 2001 model? I know the platform will be updated to the new Yukon one, but will the body panels and interior design change.

I must agree with bordeauxml55 that the Caddy is by far the best looking SUV. By the way, do you own an ml55? I looked briefly at the ml430, but the styling and size are negatives to me.

My hesitation in getting the Caddy is the outdated engineering and the uncertainty surrounding the new model. Also, when is the 2001 model expected to come out?
  • bordeauxml55bordeauxml55 Member Posts: 3
    I presently own a 99 ML 430, & a Suburban as my SUV's. I love the looks of the Esc/Den, but am a little disappointed in their not being the technological leaders for the GM truck divisions. I am in no way implying that the present truck isn't a fine one, I simply hate to see the "Top of the line" vehicles have to wait in line for the upgrades. After I get the ML 55, most likely in Jan or Feb, my wife will either keep the ML 430 as her daily driver or trade it for a Denali/Escalade which she absolutely loves. I hope to convince her to wait until the new platform is released, hopefully in mid-year 2000.
  • regimilr31regimilr31 Member Posts: 2
    The Caddy is by far the best looking SUV ever! It has a look that just turns heads everywhere it goes. I know because I have a white one and believe me...it's hard not to notice the stares that this car gets. It's perfection inside and outside.
    I couldn't agree with you more. It seems crazy that the Denali/Escalade are the last to get the changes and not the first. GM needs to take lessons from their luxury challengers and truly make Cadillac the brand of unrivaled engineering, design, and performance. Just look at how Mercedes introduces their top technologies in the S class or ML55 first. Then in subsequent model years, features like ESP, Brake Assist, Xenon lights, etc. are rolled down their product line.

All the excitement and discussion on the ML site also caused me to seriously consider the 2000 ML430. I wish there was more info on this site to generate that same level of excitement. Hopefully, Caddy is veiling everything in secrecy because the changes will be worth the wait.
    I also don't understand why GM would not update the top of the line first. I really want an Escalade, and have seen the 2000 with the new panel doors. It looks great, but I still hate to buy a vehicle that will be redesigned next year. I'm waiting for the 2000 Yukon to show up as it has the new platform. I may lease that until Cadillac gets its act together. Does anyone know if the 2001 Escalade might come out in mid-2000? That might convince me to wait, eventhough I wanted an SUV for this ski season. Cadillac looks a bit silly saying "It's good to be the Cadillac." It seems this year it's better to be the Yukon.