Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Escalade

Comments

• erniec1erniec1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all! I am the proud owner of a 2007 Escalade ESV w/navigation. When using the CD and moving between tracks, the CD player cuts off about the first second of the song..pretty minor. Just wondering if anyone else has the same issue. Thanks!
  • rayrrucrayrruc Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had a problem with the lenses to the fog lamps falling out? I have a 2005 Escalade and either someone stole them or they fell out, I am just trying to figure out which.
  • bigdig712bigdig712 Member Posts: 2
    Hey I was wondering if anyone with a 02-06 escalade with onboard navigation, cd changer, xm radio factory unit has put in either a wired FM modulator or auxiliary adapter to plug in your mp3 player. If so, how do they sound and what did you do about the factory unit not having an extra aux input?
  • njcaguynjcaguy Member Posts: 12
    I love the new 07 Escalade and GM did a great job on the revamp. I was going to get an AWD Escalade, but that vehicle is no longer in stock and a 2WD with the same configuration is available at a lower cost.

Do I really need AWD here in Southern CA, where it doesn't snow and hardly rains? I am originaly from the east coast, so can't imagine a SUV without AWD / 4WD, but that is because of the winter season over there.

This vehicle will be my family hauler, so I want all the safety possible, however I question if will ever use AWD here in S. CA and then I swing back and forth about 2WD stability in rain. However with all the other traction and stabilitrack features with 2WD, I believe it should be fine.

I also don't tow anything or go up into the mountains to ski (yet).
    Your opinions / comments would be greatly appreciated.
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    I am seriously looking at purchasing a 07 Escalade but will only get it with 2WD. The difference in price really does not enter into my decision. The primary reasons I will only get a 2WD Escalade are:

1. The 2WD Escalade is lower by at least 2 - 3 inches which contributes to better handling, easier access for my wife, and IMO a better more proportional road look because the vehicle is not 'jack-up' in the air.

2. The 2WD gets about 1 more MPG in real world driving and weighs about 200 pounds less.

3. I live in sunny Texas and do not have any need for AWD (and have a 4x4 truck if I want to go off-road, which is certainly not what I would intend to do with an Escalade).

4. The steering fell and responsiveness is better with the 2WD Escalade compared to the AWD.

5. With the 2WD Escalade the 18 inch wheels and tires fill the wheel wells up very nicely. I want the 18 inches since the ride quality is much better and the handling is almost the same IMO. (BTW, if you want the 22 inch wheels they totally fill the wheel well of the 2WD as compared to the AWD Escalade.)

6. The 2WD front suspension is much simpler and less prone to repairs.

7. The 2WD Escalade has a tow rating of 8000 versus 7700 pounds.

8. IMO, the retractable running boards (which, I will order) give a much better look to the 2WD then the AWD Escalade.

I hope my reasoning helps you.
    James,

I really appreciate your feedback. I talked to a neighbor that owns several trucks and SUVs and he says there is no need for AWD here in Sunny S. CA and 2WD with all the Stabilitrack and All wheel traction features will do just fine even in the rain.

Then I talked to another good contact who in his opinion says that the AWD has slightly better handling and feels more solid on the road. It will also perform better in the rain and have better resale value.

I have only test driven the AWD version and probably will still not be able to tell the difference. The 2WD version is in stock at this time, where the AWD equivalent is harder to get in what I want.

I read a review on a 07 2WD Yukon having horrible handling and floaty, but that Yukon was stock & didn't even have Auto-Ride Suspension so that is probably why the handling was not good.

Keep me updated when you get your Escalade and thanks again for your good input!
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    lenses to the fog lamps falling out?

YES!! I have an 03, with a lens missing. Wondering how to replace it - do I need just a lens or a complete light fixture? Also, how hard is it to fix. If the complete fixture is needed, a new one will probably be a couple hundred....don't you think?
  • 4burb4burb Member Posts: 55
    njcaguy,

We live in Texas and have a 2007 2WD Sub. The 07 has traction control and mine has a locking rear differential, no autoride. I have had no problems in the rain at all. In addition, had it out in the once or twice a year icings we get on the streets and had no issues then either. My suggestion is if you get the 2WD, make sure it has code G80...I think it is standard on the Caddy but might want to double check. Good Luck.
    4burb,

Thanks again for the good advice. About a month ago I purchased the 2007 Escalade 2WD and really enjoy it. I was convinced by yourself and others that AWD is really not needed in Southern CA. I still am not even sure if the Caddy has full time AWD or AWD when needed.

The only issue I have the Escalade is the steering feel is too soft / light, if it were a little more solid / rigid you would feel you would have more control and better handling, other than that, it's a great vehicle and my first caddy!
    4burb -

I live in Texas also and believe the 2WD make more sense. However, what does G80 code mean?
  • 4burb4burb Member Posts: 55
    G80 is the code listed on the build sheet if the vehicle has a locking rear differential option.
  • iceman2iceman2 Member Posts: 23
    I'm about to purchase a 2007 Escalade, 2WD, sunroof, 20" wheels, entertainment, nav. I can use a GM supplier discount but not sure what kind of price it REALLY entitles me to. Am I better off straight-out negotiating with the dealer for my best deal, or will the GM supp. be the best possible deal?

Has anyone gotten pricing below invoice on these SUV's? How hot are they right now?

Your advice is appreciated!
    Your GM Supplier Discount maybe much better than my GM in the Driveway Friends & Family Discount which was around $1K under invoice + $1,500 dealer cash. Before telling them of my discount, the dealers were quoting me at invoice or $500 above invoice. From all indications with my dealer this GM friends & family discount they would not offer that low of a price for anyone without this special code, but who knows if they have to move product maybe you can negotiate more for your trade-in, either way they dealer is making some money.
  • pmeyerpmeyer Member Posts: 2
    Just bought my new 2007 Escalade EXT and love it. I knew gas was going up but as they say, if you can afford an Escalade, you can afford the gas. My question is the manual states a gas mileage of 13-19 mpg. I drove my EXT to Las Vegas from Phoenix, around town and I always get 15.5 mpg no matter how or where I drive it. Sounds familiar...let me know. I have never gotten 19 mpg, even when 65 on the highway for hours.
  • gap2006gap2006 Member Posts: 20
    Good luck on the new Escalade! I've had my 2007 for over a year now with about 14,000 miles and my average mixed subarban mileage has been 14.4 so what you are getting sounds about right to me........unfortunately! Enjoy it anyway....it's only money : )
    I have never gotten 19 mpg, even when 65 on the highway for hours.

And you never will - 14something is the best you'll do. REally now, this is a square box jetting through the atmosphere. Why are we talking MPGs in an Escalade forum anyway? Ridiculous~!
  • pmeyerpmeyer Member Posts: 2
    I asked about gas economy as I was worried there may be something wrong with my new Escalade as it advertises 19mpg. I really don't care if I get 10 mpg, I just do not want there to be something wrong with my truck...sorry I was so ridiculous in wondering about my fuel distribution of my vehicle.
    Hey we all understand your concern. You are just making sure your Escalade is running correctly. No harm in that.

We get around 10MPG or a little more, since my wife drives it around town all the time to run errands and take the kids to their activities, so there is little highway driving and more stop and go traffic.

At least the fuel tank is somewhat large, so we can fill up at least once a week instead of feeling that we have to fill up every day.

And just my luck gas here in CA is one of the most expensive in the country, so to fill up on regular costs us around $75-$80 a pop. We expected it, but we don't have to like it!

The Escalade is an great vehicle when you have 3 infant / toddler to fit all in the 2nd row.

Also almost every Escalade here in SOCAL has an aftermarket front Grill and also aftermarket 24" or larger rims, so my Factory Escalade with the 22" rims are looking very stock now and it's time to upgrade in the near future!
    so my Factory Escalade with the 22" rims are looking very stock now and it's time to upgrade in the near future!

So what if it looks stock? Stock is darn nice in this truck and nothing to be ashamed about. In fact, mine came with 22s on it, and I had them removed immediately and had the factory 18s put back on. The handling was vastly improved by the wheels the vehicle was engineered with.
    Having owned my Escalade now for 4 months, and about 4,000 miles, I'm becoming less and less enamored with the truck. Mostly due to the performance of the suspension. It has the air-ride in the back, which works fine, but when you go over any expansion joints in the road, or any bumps at all, you get a miserable resounding thump through the car. The handling is wishy washy at all times. This weekend, I took it to the mountains, and some serious 4 wheel drive off roading took place. While it did fine getting me in there, it was really loosy goosy doing it, and my former Navigators both did it much better and with more precision. Lastly, I had to do a considerable amount of engine braking on the way down, and the transmission has not acted the same since. It's like it was damaged in the process of climing and decending. I'm pretty disappointed, and feel that Ford makes a better truck. My last complaint - the power ports, (lighter plugs) don't work. Neither of them. And it's not the fuse. Grrrrrrrr. :confuse:
    The OEM 22's are a great upgrade for the Escalade, really makes it a different vehicle compared to the 18's. Th1 18's may be more practical and handle better, but it's tough to go back from those 22s to 18s. The 22's actually ride fairly well. However here in SOCAL as I mentioned earlier, seems like every other Escalade owner has the custom grill and 22-24" aftermarket rims that look even more incredible. I like the deep dish look.
    I've had my Escalade also for about 4 months and as my first Cadillac I still enjoy it very much. Of course I wish it had better handling and maybe a little more refined ride, but that is why I would have gotten the new BMW X5 4.8 instead, however I needed a full size SUV to lug around the family of 5 (3 kids!). This is one of the very few full size SUVs that can fit all 3 infant / toddler seats in the 2nd row bench.

I love the growl of the engine and the power, but you are right, the handling is just OK, but I don't know if I could have expected more sportier handling from this large size of a truck.

I would have preferred more solid or tighter steering feel, but that is my preference coming from BMWs.

I do have to say that small things from the key with no built-in remote (separate for some reason) to the cheap feeling / looking owners manual and also the GM dealerships that combine GMC / Pontiac / Cadillac service (no loaner cars for regular service) somewhat takes away from the luxury experience of Cadillac as compared to BMW, Lexus or MB.
    Man, I live in a hilly area and my wife does a lot of driving around time for errands, activities, etc.. and I look at the average she is getting in our 2WD Escalade and it's only 10.5MPG or a little better. I can't even get the average 13MPG City. I guess it's the sacrifice that has to be made to own such a gas guzzling beast! Funny how Caddy touts it's best in class MPG, but it's not that great.

At least I don't feel like we have to fill up on gas every other day, the tank is large enough that it's at lease once a week or a little more than that.
    the handling is just OK, but I don't know if I could have expected more sportier handling from this large size of a truck.

I would have preferred more solid or tighter steering feel, but that is my preference coming from BMWs.

I agree with you, but that's what I'm saying. My last Navigator in particular, out rode and out handled this rig by light years. The steering was more precise and had better road feel. The handling was more tight and accurate. The ride was quieter and more stable.
  • jbratxjbratx Member Posts: 40
    Does anyone know when the 2008 goes on sale?
    Dealers have just started to get the 2008s but my dealer told me they are "keeping them in the back since they still have a lot of 2007s to sell". I talked to a Cadillac rep and was told that the first build date for the 2008s was 6/26/07 for the Arlington Texas plant.

The 2008s are coming out somewhat early since the 2007 model year was longer then normal. However, it does not look like the 2008 will have cylinder deactivation to improve the mileage 1 MPG or so.
    However, it does not look like the 2008 will have cylinder deactivation to improve the mileage 1 MPG or so.

LOL! Exactly - CD is slowly dying an ignominious death....
  • pstanosheckpstanosheck Member Posts: 2
    I need an extra set of wireless headphones for my Escalade's dvd system. Is there a specific type that I need to get or will just about any set of headphones work? Thanks!
    Most of them will work for you, but there are usually plenty of them out on E-bay for sale cheap.
  • jkaineyjkainey Member Posts: 1
    I have also just broke 5,000 miles on my '07 Escalade EXT and I too am having a problem with the engine vibration. When the truck goes into overdrive it has a severe vibration which has caused my dash to rattle. Dealer told me to drive it till 5,000 miles with premium fuel. Now that I have done so and the vibration has worsened I am demanding that they take the truck back. My '04 EXT didn't have any of these problems and I ran regular fuel through that. Oh well, guess I should have gone with the Lincoln Mark LT.
    Any resolution to this issue for you?
  • blackpepperblackpepper Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to set the front DVD player to play when the truck is in drive? :blush:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If I get t-boned by someone fiddling with an in-dash DVD player, I'm going to be the one suing the driver and GM, not my damn lawyer (he can be a bit of a jerk come to think of it :shades: ).

Or in a case like this, it'll be my heirs suing. The driver there didn't get convicted on the murder charge btw.

It is a bit dumb not to enable a navigation system to accept a direction inquiry - sort of defeats the purpose if you have to pull over to reprogram your destination into the NAV. May as well grab a map at that point.

Watching movies in the dash while driving down the road isn't cool - let your passenger take their iPod or something instead.
  • lykourinoulykourinou Member Posts: 67
    Just GM's littel way of cutting cost and saving money..overall though, it is in my oppinion the best truck n it's class.
    I think you made an excellent choice. the vehicles are the same but only to a point. The Escalade is a better vehicle in my oppinion. And I am surprised to say that GM makes some of the best HID on the market today. I can testify that you see 100% better with HID over traditional halogen.
    I never noticed it until you brought it up. We still want one though, guess I'll be buying my mother a white one instead of black. We are in a warm weather state and she loves the look of the new Lade.. Thanks for posting this, I don't know what the engineers were thinking on this one.
    Edmunds said they tested two Escalades 07's and found that they both do the same thing....hopefully this will be resolved in the 08's and 09's.
    It really sucks that they don't have loaner cars......GM needs to make this available to it's buyers. They can only cut corners for so long.
    There is a bypass that you can get that is not factory and you can play DVD's as you drive....for your passenger of course.
    I just bought an '07 Escalade on 22s after having driven probably one of the best handling sedans made, the MB E500. I like to take tight turns and I like to feel the road somewhat. I can tell you that although the Escalade is not an E500, nor was it meant to be, it handles very very well, 1000 times better than my Ford Pickup and better than my wife Lexus GX. I can take curves pretty well and don't feel like I'm losing control. If you want a cushier ride or are mainly using the car for city driving with a lot of rough roads and pot holes then I would recommend the 20 or 18s. My cousin has the 20s and drives in the city all the time. I opted for the 22s because they look great and the ride is perfectly fine for suburban driving.

I think that Edmunds's article is off base. Either they drove a lemon, or the writer is biased because no other review is consistent with it.

I hear what you are saying, I have heard excellent things about the ride quality of the Escalade with and without the 22's.

And as far as the review, in my time of car purchasing I have learned to read the reviews and then to test drive the car for myself. Sometimes I've been dead set against a car because of what I have read. But then when I test drive it I don't agree with what I've read and I actually enjoy driving the car. So it's good to consider the reviews but most importantly it's good to make your own judgement upon test drivng.

I also advocate people renting the particular vehicle they wish to purchase just to have it for a few days to see how the vehicle feels, acts, and whether or not it will assimilate into the buyers lifestyle.
  • plrowenyplroweny Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 Ecsalade with 22" Pirelli Scorpions. No can can seem to tell me - not the dealer or even Pirelli tires. They said that there were too many variables to advise me - how much tire pressure to use. They are after market tires so I can't go by what's on the door. I have them around 35psi right now and the ride is a little rougher that I like, feels like a truck instead of a luxury vehicle. Does anyone know the correct psi?
    I tested Escalades with both the 18" and 22" wheel/tires and can tell you that the Escalade handles and corners significantly better with the 22" in both all-wheel drive and 2-wheel drive models. My wife and I drove them all in each combination back to back.
  • grunt1322grunt1322 Member Posts: 1
    Hey bud. i would like to kno wut u used for ur caddy so u can bypass da factory security system for the DVD
  • jaescaddyjaescaddy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 escalade and i used "GEN 5 LOCKPICK" to bypass security for dvd and navigation use while driving. Works beautiful. :) go here and check for yourself.

http://www.coastaletech.com/GMLOCKPICK.htm
  • founderfounder Member Posts: 48
    Please someone tell me that the 09 Escaldes has an AUX jack for you ipod or similar? I went and test drove one and I loved it, but thinking back i didn't notice an AUX jack. I've seen the jack on many of lessor gm models. I hope to good I overlooked it.
  • erniec1erniec1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi..I'm not sure about the 09 Escalades, but I have a 2007 Escalade ESV and it does not have an AUX jack for the IPod. However, my Escalade has the factory DVD system and I use the RCA jacks in the rear console to play my IPod and it works great. Not sure why Cadillac didn't put an AUX jack on the radio panel.
  • ianpkianpk Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody heard of these guys? Becker Automotive Design I'm investigating ESV Conversions and found them. Wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with them. They look high end but you can't be too careful.
    Thanks!
    Ian
  • editzeditz Member Posts: 4
    2003 Escalade, the dash indicator shows 'rear access door open', also dome lights stay on if not manually shut off. Door is not open, any ideas or can someone tell me where the activation switch for the back door indicator is??. Thanks.
  • quakpac05quakpac05 Member Posts: 2
    my air dosent work at all in my 03 escalade. I know it has a leak somewhere but i tried to fill the a/c up with stop leak freon and the compressor didnt even kick on. Can someone help me please,its hot in moreno valley lol?