Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TL vs Infiniti G35 vs BMW 330xi

1235»

Comments

• Options
    scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    It's not the complexity of the process, it's the process itself.
    Go a few months without having to stick your hand into your pocket, pull out the keys, unlock the car, insert key into ignition and turn.... you'll understand.

It did take some getting used to though.
    I'd get to my destination and then reach up to the steering column, my hand searching for keys that didn't exist.
    That took some time to reprogram my brain.

I like not needing keys to get into the car.
    Want in? Touch the handle.
    Need something in the trunk? Touch the button.

I think it'll be nice in the winter.
    Wearing gloves, carrying my laptop bag and not needing to fish for keys.
  • Options
    taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Yes, even though using a key to unlock and start the car is not a huge hurdle to clear, I really do wish my '04 TL had keyless entry. If you think about it, I'm sure when key fobs that unlock doors and pop trunks first came out, some people questioned their value ("insert key, turn, open door"), too.

Furthermore, it's one of those items that I don't think you can do after-market (you can get an autostart kit, but I don't think you can set it to open doors and trunks keyless).

Navigation systems can clearly be had aftermarket, and they are so good that I don't think I could pay the extra $2,000+ car companies continue to charge for the built-in system. Now I see all the bluetooth options that can be added, too. My parents aftermarket GPS that sticks on the windshield also has bluetooth to allow for speakerphone.

I think "rain sensing" wipers and light-sensitive mirrors are other items that we don't need, but they're great conveniences and I don't think you can get them done aftermarket.
  • Options
    scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Navigation systems ~ I don't think I could pay the extra $2,000+ car companies continue to charge for the built-in system.

True, but being built in goes a long way for some people.
    I personally don't want to spend 35-40K on a car and then stick some add-on device to my dashboard.
    I love the built in seamless look of the stock navi.

Also, that 2K does buy other things as well.
    Take the G for instance... along with the Navigation & Live Traffic, it also adds goodies like XM Sat Radio, The Music Box MP3 Harddrive system w/ added compact flash slot and also includes Voice Recognition for climate control, audio, information and navigation systems.

The 2K goes a little further than just buying the Navi itself.
  • Options
    Also, that 2K does buy other things as well.
    Take the G for instance... along with the Navigation & Live Traffic, it also adds goodies like XM Sat Radio, The Music Box MP3 Harddrive system w/ added compact flash slot and also includes Voice Recognition for climate control, audio, information and navigation systems.

You are absolutely right. B/c my L came with nav, it also came with voice recognition for the climate control and the radio. I'd just weigh the pros and cons more closely than before.

As an aside, the aftermarket nav that my dad just bought is wireless (it retains its charge through 8 hours of use), so it has a cleaner look, even though it does sit on the dash or get stuck on the windsheild, has bluetooth technology to let you use it's speakers for your cell phone, and it has a built-in MP3 player.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    What brand did your father get? How big is the screen? cost?

I'm thinking of resurecting my 1995 Maxima for more frequent use and a portable Nav might make sense.
  • Options
    it was one of the "c" series (the newest ones are the "nuvi" series) - he got it from costco

At this point, I don't know whether 1 co is better than another, so please don't think I'm specifically recommending a certain unit, but now that I know that they can be had with an 8-hr battery and bluetooth, I wouldn't get one without!!!
This discussion has been closed.