Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Golf Electrical/Lighting Questions

hockeybirdhockeybird Member Posts: 1
I've recently started having what I consider an electrical problem in my 99 golf gls. I've determined already that it is not the alternator. My digital clock, odometer, and tripometer remain on when the car is off and the key is taken out. It has always gone off before and I can't find anything in my manual about it. Does anyone know what this could be? Maybe I changed a setting I didn't know I had??

I've also read postings from several others about the pause inbetween shifting. I've had that problem since I bought the car and no service shop could tell me what caused it. It is a nuissance (sp??), and could be a dangerous one if you're not used to it, but I'm glad to hear that's its 'normal' I guess. Also had the problem with the mirror knob breaking off, headlights and taillights repeatedly burn out, rear cv boot/control arm needing premature replacement, my window track cracked and window fell down into the door, etc... If anyone else has problem with the window track DONT try and fix it yourself, VW has a service bulletin out for it and will fix it for free if you ask. I had a mechanic friend take my door off to look at it, then when I realized what it was I took it to VW and they refused to touch it since I'd taken the door off (even though I didn't touch the window mech., those jerks).

Comments

• mkegolfmkegolf Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have suggestions, please, on what would be good replacement speakers for the stock units in a 2005 Golf?
    I added an Alpine 4-channel amplifier to the car, which helped the sound a lot, but I would still like to get some better speakers, especially in the back. My first choice would be speakers that would replace the stock units with no cutting or other alterations.
    Many thanks for your help with this!
  • gatlin7milesgatlin7miles Member Posts: 1
    i have a 97 golf k2. i think i have a bad distributor cap cuz whenever it rains my car doesnt want to start. this isnt my point i just needed you to know that for the rest of my message. yesterday i went out to start my car to go to work and i turned the ignition and it turned over for about 5 seconds. then it just stopped. my battery is fine (i even hooked it up to another car to charge and see if it was the battery). Nothing is happening!?!?!?! every time i turn the key the noraml lights come on so it def. isnt the battery. so im guessing its my starter? how do i tell if its my starter? i dont really have any money to bring it in due to christmas. i really dont know what to look for or what to do. any help would really be appreciated. thank you for your time..........diddy p.s please help me using laymen terms. im kinda car stupid.lol
  • oblideratorobliderator Member Posts: 1
    i have a question, im having a big problem and i asked 5 people and none of them knew the right answer, i want to change my shift knob to something of my chosing, but i cant figure out how to take off the original shift knob off of my stick shift, here are some pictures to help you guys to understand the situation im in. thanx for any help in advance, the pictures are at the bottom http://community.webshots.com/album/212748726oERuMl
  • jeeves1jeeves1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,
    I'm having exactly the same problem with my Golf. I have taken it a the garage to see if the mechanic can find the fault, and it all works fine when he's there. It's been going on for a year. I dread the rain because I know my car won't start. I have found that if I leave the car turning for ages, it does eventually start. However, before it has done this, there is loads of smoke coming out of the exhaust - I don't think that it can be doing the car much good. By the way, I did change the glowplugs, so that's not the problem.
    Could you please get back to me if anyone has found a solution to your/my problem.
    Thanks, and merry Christmas!
  • grahamocgrahamoc Member Posts: 1
    I have a VW Golf Hatchback, year 2001. The boot recently stopped opening - completely locked. I have been informed by some other VW Golf owners that this may be a manufacturing fault to do with the rear window wiper / washer bottle leaking and slowing rusting the lock up. Has anyone else had this problem or come across it before?
  • glowplugrelayglowplugrelay Member Posts: 2
    Hello jeeves1

As you know requirement to start a diesel is, fuel , air,
    and if you want it to start faster, preheat with glowplugs.

Since your car starts after many revolutions, you likely have some problem with your glowplug system that only seams to manifest its self when it rains.

Check to make sure the glowplugs get power, 12 volts, when you pre heat them when it rains and this hard starting happens.

I would think the glowplug relay could be a prime suspect or
    the wiring that controls it, one input is the engine temp,
    this could be shorted out some how when it rains, causing the glowplug relay to never pre heat the glow plugs.

You could just hook up a 60amp relay, to the glow plugs with a switch to its coil and heavy duty fuse, connected to the battery run the control wire inside, when it rains, turn this on for
    20 -60 seconds and try starting as per ussual.

good luck.
  • super4super4 Member Posts: 1
    Changed a brake light bulb on a VW Golf 1.6 cl 1996 the other day and since then the electric windows have been going down by themselves one by one when ignition /engine is turned off? messed about with the bulbs again and fixed the lock which was broke (as I thought this could be affecting it) this was fine for an hour thought I'd solved it then it starts doing it again. Had to get windows up and pull fuse out to keep them up. Any ideas or has the car turned into Herbie
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    I've recently started having what I consider an electrical problem in my 99 golf gls. I've determined already that it is not the alternator. My digital clock, odometer, and tripometer remain on when the car is off and the key is taken out.

Sounds like the ignition switch is going bad. A good independent shop should be able to fix that for little $$$.
  • jhardingjharding Member Posts: 6
    My girlfriend's 1994 cabrio wont start. The alarm goes off everytime you open the door, put the key in the ignition, etc. I think the anti-theft is locking the ignition and fuel. Not sure how it got that way. I do know her car is a mess, the power locks dont work (so putting the key in the driver door to disarm the alarm wont work), the driver window mechanism got snagged, so we had to permanently shut the window,and it had starting problems that were fixed a couple weeks ago. Just a question as to how to disarm the alarm. I tried to disconnect the battery, but that didnt work.
  • corinnedcorinned Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,
    I have a Golf 2001 Tdi also and my hatchback wont open.
    What did you have to do for yours?

Corinne
  • hidden51hidden51 Member Posts: 1
    Need fuse box diagram for 85 golf and can't find it anywhere. Please help!!!
  • muptonmupton Member Posts: 1
    I recently left my 2002 Golf TDI parked for several days.
    Upon returning I got into the car as usual with the remote but noticed the interior safety light (lower left on door panel) remained on after closing the door. A few days later the remote quit working, (light was still staying on), I tried to reset the remote, no luck. The door lock control on the arm rest will still lock and unlock the doors, with the exception of the drivers door. The key will lock and unlock the drivers door only. Also the mirror adjustment has stopped working and the security system. I tried to take the panel off to investigate and only got a far as getting it loose from the door frame and where it locks over the window edge, couldn't figure out how to release it from the armrest. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Mark
  • nogblokenogbloke Member Posts: 1
    I have a Golf and there is a load knocking on the drivers side rear wheel every time I go over a bump. I had a bloke check out the shockers but they are fine. Is there a coupling or something or a common fault which someone is aware of? It sounds like the body is bouncing off the chassis. Any help or advise would be fantastic.
  • whitenovawhitenova Member Posts: 3
    I'm having a problem with the power locks in my '94 Golf. Whenever I lock or unlock the doors, the power lock motor in the rear hatch keeps running for about 30 seconds or so. Additionally, when I turn the key in the door, only some of the locks unlock(it is a four door). Had the same problem about 5 years ago and after three separate visits to a mechanic, he was able to correct the problem. My receipt indicates he "repaired broken lines in rear hatch" during one visit. Then and now, the problem began to occur during very cold weather and I may have turned the key quickly in one direction and then the other the first time the problem occurred. Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong with the locks and if a novice like me could fix it?

Thanks for any suggestions
  • ansloosansloos Member Posts: 1
    ok.
    two main problems.
    speedomter stoped working today.. checked fuses.. and non burned out that i could seee.. i don't really know what the problem is...
    then sinse i checked the fuses everytime i'd turn a corner my feul light would come on and beep. though there is just under half a tank of fuel..

anyone know what's happening?
    i honestly know nothing about cars, im a student don't have much money but i need to get this fixed.

later.
    jef.
  • yur2sloyur2slo Member Posts: 1
    HI
    I have a 1997 glof that wont start. What happenes in when you get in the car and go to start it, the alarm starts to go off. if yo jump the starter to start it the car runs great and when you shut it off you can start it back up. But it it sits for a while it wont start and just set off the alarm Any help ?????
  • mk2golfgtimk2golfgti Member Posts: 1
    i have recently purchased a mk2 golf gti 1990 and just yesterday it started smoking whilst stationary and the fumes could kill im new to the vdub could anyone guess whats wrong with it thanx oh and when i turn full lock something screeches could that be the ps belt any advice will help thanx
  • alanmargosianalanmargosian Member Posts: 25
    I don't have a Golf. I own a New Beetle. But the symptoms are pretty universal. If your car is screeching when you turn the wheel, then the power steering pump is low or out of power steering fluid. If it isn't too late yet, then topping it to the correct level with the proper type of p/s fluid should silence that matter (you may still have a leak because that is a "closed system"). If that doesn't help, then it maybe time to replace that p/s unit...
  • edhoodedhood Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Friend of mine has an "error" display in the left LCD (Odometer?) of the gauge panel. Tells me the entire panel is erratic. Mechanic/dealer says to replace the entire assembly ($$$). My guess was chassis grounding but I'm advised that the codes have been read, wiring has been checked, grounding verified, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this might be and a potential fix? Note that we are in Southern Mexico and availability of common Stateside fixes will be impossible.

Any suggestions will be appreciated; thanks!
  • gespinozagespinoza Member Posts: 1
    The power locks are pneumatic. Sometimes the hoses come loose. Often times, they come loose at the door. Try to locate the hoses goining into the doors and see if they have come loose. Otherwise, they might be loose somewhere else and you will need to trace hoses (lines) from the air pump in the rear of the car to the doors.
  • chalicefc3chalicefc3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, i have a 1998 VW Golf TDi and to date the only problem i had seems to have been common-engine still ticking over with igition off/dead battery issue (sol:igition relay fault). However just driving today and mid-journey-stereo died as well as power sourced to bluetooth in-car kit. I know its a fault with one of the fuses but not sure which one feeds. I would very much like some help, ideally someone with diagram details so that i can simply replace the faulty fuse myself. Thank you in advance.
  • dhoadleydhoadley Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, my mk3 Golf GTI has exactly the same problem; it sounds sero=iously metal on metal banging; after several trips to different garages, the problem has been identified as worn suspension bushes on the trailing arms, allowing the banging to occur as the arm bottoms out against the subframe . I have been quoted about £230 to get it fixed, which I am going to finally do in the next couple of weeks....
    Hope this helps - note at least 1 VW dealer failed to identify this problem !!!
  • fyahpowerfyahpower Member Posts: 1
    i have a similar problem like white nova but i have a 97 golf , when i turn the key in the door, none of the door locks open, i hear that same noise for about 30 seconds. do i need something or should i try and trace the problem as well? thanx
  • suds1981suds1981 Member Posts: 2
    :sick:
    Hi,
    I got this 97 Golf K2 and its been doing well, however recently its given me weird problems. First the coil was bad, got that replaced. Then plunged in $$$ to change all the spark plugs and wiring. Now, just this morning, I push down on the clutch to start the car, and turn on the ignition.... there is rough grrrrr grrrr sound... and it doesnt start right away, after a few attempts it runs just fine.
    The gurrring seems to be coming from area under the clutch.
    Please help. I am a student and really broke. Could it be a timing belt issue, since I already have 137,000 on it?
    Thanks
    Suds
  • salloumsalloum Member Posts: 1
    hello
    i have a manual 2001 golf, before a while the rpm meter started swinging whenever it;s on neutral, the problem seems to get more serious; now the swinging is huge, that sometimes the engine goes off!! and i have to start it again... does anyone know anything about that??
    thanx
  • tazzagtazzag Member Posts: 1
    I have similar problem, have a mk3(95) golf GTI. My Central locking pump is staying on for hours sometimes overnight and draining my battery.
    Do you think its the pump and needs replacing or the vacuum hoses that and loose or split making the pump over work??
  • asavsasavs Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I am currently removing my complete dash cover from my Mark5 Golf.
    To get it from the car, it requires (for ease of removal) to take the indicator & Wiper stalks from the steering column.
    I already have the steering wheel & Airbag out, but I'm not sure from here as to how to remove the airbag clockspring & more importantly..the stalks...

Any ideas would be appreciated

Cheers

Asavs
  • hh0395hh0395 Member Posts: 1
    hello guys,
    I got a 97 golf gti. Now I met a weird problem. After I driving my car for a while, if I turn the steeing to the left, the horn is beeping, but to the right, nothing happened.

what should I do?

thx in advance.

hao
  • matthewj1matthewj1 Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a used 2002 VW Golf TDI from an Audi dealership. The Carfax report looked good, including routine scheduled maintenance throughout the years, and it only has 46,000 miles on it after 4 years. However, after driving it for 140 miles, the emissions light went off. I brought it in and they replaced a plug that was full of carbon. I am not great with cars, so I am not sure what that means. Anyway, I was driving it home last nite and the emissions light again went off. Does anyone have an idea? Thanks.
  • haguehague Member Posts: 1
    Just noticed your message. I am having the exact same problem with my L-reg 1.9 Golf Estate. The windows seem to come down more often when its been raining a lot. Did you ever find out how to cure the problem? Short of taking the fuse out (which I have also done...lol)
  • matthewj1matthewj1 Member Posts: 5
    I looked at my receipt from teh dealership and it turns out that they replaced the EGR valve, which was "full of carbon." Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what to look for next with this on-going emissions light issue? Thanks for your help.
  • jdiaz3jdiaz3 Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody have the relay location diagrams???
  • mfandrusmfandrus Member Posts: 1
    I too have a VW Golf 97. The same thing happened to me over a year ago, it's an issue where the contact inside the steering wheel is triggering the horn. I just took out the fuse for the horn and have lived without a horn ever since.

It has only gotten worse since then. I have lost the functioning of the windsheild wipers(unless it is on high) the ding when the door is open and the key is in the ignition stopped working... and recently my dials on the dashboard have gone crazy and randomly flip out, the clock goes to 12 and the trip odometer goes to zero. My engine temp gauge has a mind of it's own and tells me I have an overheating engine and a cold engine all in the matter of 5 -10 minutes.
    My question is- is this a very expensive electrical issue that is worth fixing or should I just fix it temporarily and sell it? And if anyone knows a good mechanic in Chicago that specializes in electrical issues with VW's please let me know who to go to!
    Thanks much.
  • saj1saj1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have recently passed my car driving test, and I bought a second hand VW GOLF 1.4 S edition 1999 T reg, for the first couple of weeks of driving the car was OK, but know the engine cuts out and the car stalls, it usually happens when I am slowing down, this is now happening a lot, I took the car to 3 VW recommend garages, and they cant seem to find anything wrong with my car, CAN ANYONE HELP ME!!!!!! Because of this problem I have nearly crashed the car twice now PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!
  • rds_fsurds_fsu Member Posts: 1
    Hey there, I bought a 96 golf off a guy i know a couple months ago and ever since i've been having a problem with it stalling when it gets wet (either rain or car wash). What happens is, The car gets wet and runs fine for about 10 minutes at the max and then starts sputtering, kinda like its choking for air. This happens for about 5 10 minutes maybe and occasionally the rpms will really drop and the little engine shock light will come on (the light thats an engine with a lightning bolt through it) then it will shoot back up to idle but continue to stutter, then eventually it will just stall. Once it stalls it wont start again for about 15 minutes after i un-hook the battery ground and plug it back on and it fires right up again. I've replaced ignition coil, Spark plug wires, and greased up pretty much everything. I also checked the dist. cap and doesnt seem to be wet or arcing inside of it. CANNOT FIGURE OUT WHATS WRONG!! any help at all would be awesome, love the car and i dont want to get rid of it.
  • zack0000zack0000 Member Posts: 1
    Hey I had the same exact problem...its the regulator...if you look under the hood there is a little black box next to the firewall. I bet the casing is cracked and when it gets wet it arcs causing a short.
  • tequilasunn04tequilasunn04 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 01 VW Golf 1.8 T (manual). i never had many problems with it until now. i have roughly 113000 miles on it. after its been sitting for a while say for example...over night.. i go to start it in the morning and obviously rpms are running about 1150-1200. when the rpms start to go down it starts sputtering pretty bad. lately its been getting worse. to the point where i just wants to stall out. i just did a full tuneup on the car as well yesterday thinking maybe sparkplugs needed to be change because it was due for one any ways. i also did my front o2 sensor (my rear o2 was done 2 months ago) now there's another problem as of today. from the exhaust there's a popping sound as if its a tiny backfire when i downshift. when the rpms get low doesn't matter what gear. :mad: iv done everything in my knowlege... does anyone have anything thy can throw at me as to what the think is going on? and what i should do besides bring it to a dealership so i can pay a fortune.
  • chenerchener Member Posts: 3
    Hi, Had the same problem. The car just cuts out and if you switch off and on agian it's fine for a while.It may be the relay for the engine management system. All the relays are inside the car behind the fuse box and can be changed in a few minutes and is not expensive. It fixed it for me!
  • chenerchener Member Posts: 3
    When the car gets hot after driving for a while it loses power and won't make revs higher than 3,500 or so. Struggling to do more than 40mph in top gear!. It doesn't seem to misfire but just won't rev. VW can't say whats wrong but have fitted a new coil pack and air flow meter but has not fixed the problem. Can anybody help?
  • teeforeteefore Member Posts: 1
    I recently attempted to open my bonnet when the bonnet cable snapped. It's now seemingly impossible to open. The radiator is in the way, (right behind the VW symbol,)and so i cant get to the catch. I've had 3 mechanics on it and they have all given up in the end. Advice please!!!!
  • kristiemariekristiemarie Member Posts: 1
    When I drive my VW Golf within the first five minutes of driving it, it sounds like it is shifting and then it punches (jerks forward & makes a noise) and then it drives fine. It is an automatic, so I am not sure why I am feeling and hearing it shift (and it is not every time that this happens). Any thoughts?
  • amandaaamandaa Member Posts: 1
    i have a golf gti 96,it has drove me mad! it would cut out driving at speed but once started would be fine, i had the relay done the air intakes cleaned, fuel filter changed, spark plugs, oil filter and change, and now finally the camshaft/crankshaft/rrp meter sensor changed! i have only just got it back tonight so fingers crossed thats the end of it! good luck x
  • evpevp Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

We just purchased a 95 golf cl. It seems to be a good car overall, but lately it has been having problems starting. There seems to be a correlation between that and shutting it off while the rpm's are above 1000 (seem ok, when we let it idle for a few seconds before shutting it off). We took it to a mechanic and he replaced the ignition switch, saying that this is a problem he's seen before, but that didn't resolve it... any ideas?
  • insomniinsomni Member Posts: 4
    Hi there, I had a similar situation and I hope what I did is a solution to your problem. I own a golf, CL, 95 two door.

I brought my car to my mechanics and I told him that my engine jerking when I drive (especially when wet). The engine was actually mis-firing.

What was checked was:
    - spark plugs (got those replaced)When was the last time you checked your sparkplugs? You could have a faulty spark plug and causing mis-firing or there is carbon build up.
    - Distributer cap (got this replaced)
    - Distributer roter (got this replaced)

Your ignition coil may not have to be replaced but it's good to know that it's new. ibid for the spark plug wires. Had this done myself because I found a rip in one of the wires.

In exchange, can someone help me. The question I have is something to do with my wiring of my reer right lights (not my break lights or blinkers but the lights when the car idles or when your driving at night). I replace the bulb..nada. I used the working lights from my left lights and tested on the right...nada. I'm thinking it may be my fuse. Anyone know?? Any insight would be helpful. My obsessive, compulive behaviour is worsening by the day to get this fixed. :confuse:
  • gembeangembean Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have recently bought an N reg fuel injected VW mk3 golf. I have had a few teething problems with it. first of all when i start the engine, the car starts up and then just dies and cuts out??? its gradully getting worse and it doesnt matter if the car is hot or cold. I have tried the fuel injector fluid that you put in with your petrol, to see if that would make any difference as someone suggested this to me, but it hasnt worked and still no joy. i was then told that i need to put my foot on the accelerator and start my engine, because apparently, with fuel injected cars the petrol evaporates (especially in the hot weather weve been having lately), so you need to accelerate to get the petrol to start the car.it was explained to me, but i didnt fully understand, and it still made no difference. It has actually worked, but only for a short while, and now its getting to the stage where its getting worse, and even if i do put my foot on the accelerator, no matter how much i rev the engine, it still dies and cuts out. its very confusing, and frustrating-and not to mention very embarrassing trying to start your car with other people around looking at you as if you dont know how to start a car properly. lol! So, does anybody have any ideas as to what may be wrong with my vw?
    The second problem i am experiencing is with the oil. the oil warning light came on and started beeping and didnt go off. i checked the oil when the engine had cooled and the oil level was fine. so I thought it could be something to do with the oil pressure. but even though the oil level was fine, with the engine bay open whilst checking the oil, i just so happened to look down and noticed a huge area of what seemed to be oil that had leaked from my car.lots and lots of it! I took it to a garage,and after checking where the leak was coming from, they said the oil pressure switches had gone, and so replaced two of them. they then told me the oil would still leak a little, but would eventually settle down and then stop leaking. which i thought it had, because its been fine up unitl now. but here we go again, nearly two weeks later its still leaking-not as much, but still leaking, and the oil warning light kepps coming on and beeping still, but it goes off this time. checked the oil level, and yep, its absolutely fine. it seems to be mainly only when i have travelled, not a big distance, but more than distance i usually travel e.g. going out for long drives, but is fine just going to work and back. Bearing in mind this car has a full, stamped vw service manual and has been serviced and had regular oil changes throughout its entire life.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaseeeeeeeeeeee Help me!!!!!!!!!!!
    :(:cry: :confuse: :sick:
  • jenipherjenipher Member Posts: 1
    Catalyst System, Bank 1 efficiency below threshold...

so...whats that mean? It's an emissions issue...but what needs replacing?? Any help appreciated... 2002 Golf 2.0

Oxygen sensor? EGR valve? what?!? lol...

Jen :confuse:
  • suds1981suds1981 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have had a 97 VW golf (manual) for about a year now. It has been doin very well until lately a weird problem has risen. Everytime it rains, or it gets cold, the steering wheel jams i.e. it gets really really tight and almost makes it impossible to turn the car. As long as its going straight its fine but even a small turn is very difficult. However when the weather is dry and hot again, it does just fine. I was told that there maybe an issue with the Power Steering fliud but I got that checked and its alright. I am not loosing any fluid either.
    I was also told that there might be a problem with the suspension. However I havent really had a supension guy look at it. I am afraid they will give a huge estimate.

Does anyone has a similar issue, or a solution to this problem. I am worried about this since very soon winter will be here and it will become an everyday affair. I am a student and short on $$. Hopefully someone has a cheap solution or knows more about this problem.

I am a new driver and dont know much about cars, this is my first car. Any help will be highly appritiated.

Thanks guys :cry:
    Sudeepa
  • poddymepoddyme Member Posts: 1
    I bought a W reg 1.4 golf year 2000. I have had problems with it starting. About 40% of the time it sounds like its going to start but wont fire the engine. And takes about 7 attempts atleast before it starts. It always ends up starting.

I have taken the car to 3 dealers, one VW garage and they have tested it on the diagnostic testing system and all the readings are fine.

When the car is low of fuel it seems worse and also the car doesnt seem to run very smooth.

Can anybody help?
  • gembeangembean Member Posts: 2