Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Excursion vs Chevy Suburban/GMC Yukon XL - The battle of the titans

Comments

• larry91larry91 Member Posts: 189
    Back 2 years ago, I had the "Hots" for the Excursion Ltd, with the PSD. Love the looks,and the size. I took one for a ride on two different occasions and lost my desire for the vehicle.
    First, the two I drove both wandered and it was busy work to keep it going straight. Going over a bump was an experience and the deisel was NOISY.
    The wife had a sore back at the end of the test and that put the kabosh on the deal.

Four months ago I bought a 2001 Yukon Denali XL and love the vehicle. Tho I have had some minor issues with the vehicle, overall I am happy with my purchase. But the main thing that concerned me was I could not find a review anywhere that liked the Excursion over the Suburban, or even liked the Excursion at all. Personally, I still like the vehicle, if Ford would only make it more civil and comfortable. After all, even the new big rigs ride like cars...no professional trucker wants to get bounced around on a long trip and the manufacturers of these rigs are correcting the problem, Why won't Ford? Thanks for listening
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    Not sure if Ford is making the more recent ones better but after 30 years in Sub's, the last 2 weeks and 2400 miles went very nicely. SF Bay Area to Vancouver Island, BC and back after staying on the Island 9 days. The Ex doesn't wander for me and I have added nothing other than to replace the OEM F/S's with Michelin.

As to load weight, a lot of our gear is space takers but not all that heavy. So the interior demensions are key, can't fit an airline 500 kennel in side ways on a new Sub like you could in a '90 and prior, but you can do that in the Ex. and get the dog in and out. Not to mention the alley for the dogs that provides a nice bed for a nap when you want to drive straight through like we did comming back, Anacortes, WA to Bay Area in 14 hours with just a few gas stops and to air dogs.

Enjoy what you drive.
    about the smaller interior dimensions in the Sub, I wonder why they would do that and make the vehicle smaller. Perhaps due to the new rounder design. I am sure GM is losing sales to Ford for just that reason.
    Hopefully, when I am ready for a new vehicle, the Excursion will be more to my likeing. I still like the vehicle.
  • jbear87jbear87 Member Posts: 13
    Does anybody have a 2500 suburban with the 6.0 L engine in it? I am wondering what the mpg is. I noticed that edmunds has it listed at 14/16, which I consider to be pretty goood.
    thanks
    I have a 2001 Yukon Denali XL and get 12.7 around town. I have not had it on a long road trip, so i don't know about highway mileage. The Denali comes with the 6.0 engine, but has Full Time All Wheel Drive, don't know if that effects mileage.
  • millerro3millerro3 Member Posts: 136
    I NEED a new vehicle to haul ALL of my stuff around and I've test driven the Excursion and it just doesn't have the capacity to swallow all of my stuff. Can anyone suggest anything BIGGER than this too small vehicle?
    I guess i could cut down on a couple things to take to the grocery store, if I HAD to, but only if there is nothing larger available that will allow me to bring everything with me.
    I did like how easily driven it was while I was on my cell phone checking my stock quotes though. Does Ford offer an in dash monitor that I can watch TV on while I'm driving? thanx in advance for any responses!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    er, I think you are looking for the I don't like SUVs, why do you? discussion.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Good, I like that question...
    I will say,that in a pinch, u might be able to get by with the Ford F350 attached to a 40ft trailer, a little tuff in the parking lots, but it will do the job.
  • mike346mike346 Member Posts: 5
    I have only checked my mileage while towing a travel trailer. I got between 8 & 9.5 pulling about a 7000lb trailer. 14/16 sounds about right just estimating my time/miles between fill-ups though.
  • rdtaylorrdtaylor Member Posts: 21
    I find it very odd that there are so many people comparing the Excursion with the 1/2T suburban. I guess it is because Ford doesn't really have anything like the 1/2T, so there is a forced fit.

Anyway, when comparing the 2500 to the Excursion, they are much more similar. I thought I wanted the Excursion until I actually drove it - I bought the 2500 w/8.1L because it was much funner to drive and has better towing performance. Turning radius and road handling is also superior in the 3/4T burb. The new 3/4T burb drives better than the previous 1/2T burbs. I like large vehicles, but the Excursion was just too much like driving a bus (slow and unwieldy) and the diesel is just plain noisy.

However, I am very glad that there is finally some competition - unfortunately the Ford sales are so poor that it hasn't caused any significant price decreases. GM was correct in their initial arrogant assessment that they were not worried about the Excursion since it didn't compete in their volume market of 1/2T burbs.
    I own a 2001 Denali XL.My previous vehicle was a 1999 Tahoe 4x4. Last year I had the 'hots' for the Excursion Limited with the PSD; until I drove one. Was not impressed, the wife hated it, I didn't feel that strongly, but would not buy one. Also, I have not read a single review where any autowriter liked the Excursion, let alone recommended it above the Sub.

Too bad, I would like to see GM have some competition in that market segment. I like the size and style of the Ex, come on Ford, make it civilized...
    Oh, in spite of some very "minor" problems, I LOVE the XL Denali.
  • palfito01palfito01 Member Posts: 10
    I just can not see how someone would for instance now pay $35,000 for a new vehicle listed at $42,000 and know that once they drive it off the lot it is only worth $22,000-$24,000. If you want to purchase a new Excursion the price should be in the $30,000 range with Ford's once secret $5,000 Dealer bonus going back to the buyer not the dealer. Buying this truck new, people have got to be crazy. I would have to recommend buying used at these values.

I used to like my Excursion limited even though it continuously creaked and rattled but after I found out the resale value I got sick to my stomach. Also by the way, resale values on Suburban's are much higher due to market conditions and the fact that they are much better SUV's and most informed buyers know it. I guess I got burned by trying something different!
    that saved me from buying the Excursion was the poor driving experience i had with the 3 units I tested.. and thinking about it sensibly not with my "Passion"

The first thing i noticed, after only driving it for a few minutes, was that the vehicle wanted to "Wander" all over the road, obviously due to the solid front axle...This Cooled me off rather quickly. Got back into my then 1999 Tahoe 4x4, and felt like i was in a "almost" luxury vehicle. End of Excursion love affair.

Just keep it and drive it, psych yourself up to liking it and just try to enjoy the vehicle. It's too expensive to get rid of it now.
  • palfito01palfito01 Member Posts: 10
    Larry I am taking your advice and will keep the beast. I guess I will be like the majority of the board and spend an extra grand and put on new Michelin's and Shocks. Thanks
    U are welcome, good luck.

Anyway, we have much more important things to concern ourselves with right now besides our Trucks

Long Live America!
  • rockribbedrockribbed Member Posts: 44
    If you like the 'wandering' of the Ford and want a GM get a burb with the 'auto ride' package. We (my wife and I just bought a burb and in the process of selecting the right one tried one with the autoride (basically the self leveling system). My wife was the driver and notice immediately that something was wrong - she thought the front end was out of alignment/wheel weight fell off. I drove and in turning around in the parking lot noticed the sway.

Unless you trailer FULL TIME pass on the autoride, and fit after market air shocks.
    I have a 2001 Denali XL whick comes standard with autoride. The autoride is not just a self leveling system, it's main job is to monitor the road surface and adjust the shock dampening to fit whatever surface it is running on. I love the system and it mskes the truck ride like a car. It is GREAT.. I have never experienced what u are describing. I wonder if there was a problem with the autoride, which, knowing GM, and their quality control, is very possible.

I would highly recommend the autoride to anyone buying a Suburban.
  • edw5edw5 Member Posts: 6
    I am a recent convert from Sub to Ex. The 1/2 sub was weak towing our 6000# boat so I wanted more.

We shopped the new subs and ex's pretty hard. What I found was that the Sub and Ex both get crappy gas mileage on long non-towing trips. I used boths trip computers to gauge and both were under 12 MPG highway (ex with v10 and 8l sub).

We opted for the deisel ex. We were getting a good 16 MPG on short hauls while testing.

My wife, surprise surprise did not mind the noise of the deisel. At highway speed and cruise speed, it was all but silent. Funny thing about the noise, my 5.7l Sub with 100K and 4 yrs on it is no luxury ride. It is loud with road, engine, and wind noise.

Ride quality? My 1/2 sub had Michelin XT/AT 10 ply truck tires. It bounced and pounded at 50 psi just like the 3/4 ton Ex, but the Ex can handle some load. The Sub tended to sag heavily if we approached anywhere near 1/2 ton (8 people, drywall, bags of cement).

The Ex may ride a little stiff and bumpy on rough roads when empty, but the Sub was pretty sloppy with anything over 6 or 7 hundred pounds.
    I am not bashing the Excursion, in fact I was ready and willing to buy one before i chose the Denali. Ready until i drove two units for about 1 hour each. This all boils down to what u need the vehicle for. I don't do any towing or hauling and just like a big vehicle for comfort and safety. As i said before, I like the looks and the size of the Ex and if and when Ford makes it more suitable to "My" needs and likes I will consider it again.

Just curious, Why didn't u try the 2500 sub?
  • theriddlertheriddler Member Posts: 7
    My wife and I own a 2001 Ex Limited w/V-10. We have just over 10K miles on it. I don't understand what some of the talk about the truck swaying is about. With over 90% of thoes miles being X-way miles at 75+ MPH I think the truck handles great. I'm not the one who drives it everyday but I probly put on more then 50% of those miles while going on vacation and weekend trips to upper part of lower Mich. We live around Flint MI. It does take me about 2 miles to get use to driving it. I put on over 500 miles per week on my 2 wd F-150 PU w/6cyl. so it feels alot different. And as far as acceleration I really have to have a lite foot because it really wants to take off. We are getting around 12-13 MPG at, like I said earlier, 75+ MPH. It is getting better the more miles we put on. We started out at 11-12 MPG. All in all we love it. We haven't towed anything big yet but I think it would handle anything I want to tow.
  • 390gt390gt Member Posts: 17
    I make the same trip often from the east side of Detroit, 300 miles one way. I have a 2000 Ex V-10 4wd with near 30K miles and average 14.5 mpg at same speed. Your mileage will improve. In town it's another story. Move over to the Excursion board. Good luck.
  • cptmcfcptmcf Member Posts: 7
    My wife (total'd my ford expedition) and kids were T boned yesterday by a Van after a two mile trip to Macdonald's.....they all walked away with nothing more than sore necks....the owner of the van who ran a red light was carted away by way of ambulance.....we are buy an excursion tomorrow....I am glad I am not of the green peace econo box order as I would be arranging funerals for my kids instead of new car shopping. I could give a rats [non-permissible content removed] what you think of the car I put my family in...as long as I can afford the gas I am putting them in the heaviest thing available. And right now thats an Excursion....I priced a 4x4 Limited Powerstroke diesel with a DVD entertainment center and its cheaper than what the local dealer will sell me a denali with no extra options and the FORD will get better MPG and 700 miles between fill ups.

CPT FRIEDMAN
    US ARMY
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I'm with you Captain. The bigger and heavier the better.. I have a Suburban that I drive everywhere. I like seeing what is going on over the rest of the cars on the highway. I just feel safer. No wrecks so far thankfully.. I would look at the diesel Excursion myself when I trade in..
  • azhenriazhenri Member Posts: 1
    Now that I have read a lot of these messages, I am more confused. It is obvious that those with excursion's love them and those with suburban's love those.... still not sure what is best. Diesel vs v10, do I want to save on gas but pollute the air or do I want to use more gas, more energy? excursions are so cheap now they almost make make more sense.....but the do not tow as much as suburbans..
    signed, confused
  • automan227automan227 Member Posts: 118
    Just as an FYI, the Diesel version of the Excursion is a LEV and does not pollute the air. The diesel version tows more then a suburban can because it has more Torque. In fact, thats really what its designed to do next hauling people and other cargo.

AS
  • skipjack2skipjack2 Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2001 2500 Suburban 6.0 engine that I pull a 8500 LB Boat and trailer. Also a F350 PS Diesel to pull a 11000 LB 5th Wheel. I have a friend with a 99 Excursion, Diesel and he pulls a boat about 9000 Lbs. He replaced the Transmission at 37000 miles. I think that is the weak point in the Ford. I have owned a 95 Yukon, and a 97 Tahoe before my Suburban. I have never had a power train problem with these trucks and I have pulled a travel trailer with all of the above. My gross weight with the Tahoe, was 11,200 and yes over the limit, but no problems. The other thing about the new Suburban, is the steering is great and turns as good as my Tahoe trade in. The 4x4 Ford is not as easy to park. My F350 needs a football field to make a U turn. It pulls my 5th wheel fine, a gross weight of 19000 lbs. Each has its place, but the Excursion is a truck and the Suburban is in a class all of its own. We drive it every where we go. IMHO

Skipjack
  • jaw2000jaw2000 Member Posts: 133
    If Ford really is stopping Excursion production, then we all know who the winner is.
  • rockmundorockmundo Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at the Excursions at this time. I tow Rock Climbing Walls. I have had to put a new rear end, and a new transmission in my Suburban. I think I need the extra size of the Excursion.
  • cptmcfcptmcf Member Posts: 7
    I towed rock climbing walls all over the country for the US Army in a diesel excursion. Thats what sold me on the excursion in the first place. The Army goes for the cheapest bid and Ford was lower than Chevrolet, with proper care and maintenance you will get tons of service out of either one. I have heard of Fords going several hundred thousand miles and GM's needing new transmissions after only 30K and vica versa so its possible to get a lemon with either one, I think maintenance is key and if anything breaks, hopefully it will still be under warranty, I like the extra space of the Excursion and the larger size brings some peace of mind if nothing else...either choice is sure to be a good one but the 700 miles between fillups sold me as I hate spending my free time at the pumps. I suggest you drive both as much as possible and see which one "fits" best....sometimes size does matter though ;-)
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    Ford just anounced that they are killing the Excursion due to poor sales. I think 2003 is the last model year.
  • 02psd02psd Member Posts: 1
    the new 6.0L diesel will be out in '03 the end of production is scheduled at end of '04 hopefully this could change if demand increases. It takes a few years to get the ball rolling hope they don't pull the plug too soon.
  • jogibajogiba Member Posts: 27
    With the new 6.0L 325HP 560 Ft Lb Tq PSD and HD 5 speed auto trans the 2003/2004 Excursion will be in demand . The Expedition with 5.4 V8 is not in the same class as a PSD Excursion . The PSD Excursion is the first SUV with standard 20,000 Lb GCWR .
    Even if Ford comes out with an extended Expedition with a V6 diesel it will not compare with the Excursion in tow rating.
  • jdadamsjrjdadamsjr Member Posts: 16
    Ford has let the "green" people kill the Excursion... With real world facts and experiences I could market the Ex better than Ford.
    I cannot speak to the gas versions, but the diesel version has better all around mileage than my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee did!!! The Jeep got consistently 13 and 18 mpg over the 125k miles I drove it... Thus far the Ex has gotten anywhere from 15 to 21 mpg for the 4k I've driven it...
    And my wife's '02 Lincoln LS V8 gets poorer mileage than the Ex - the few times WHEN I am allowed to drive it! (Of course it is a FUN care to drive - a stealth sports car!!!)

I KNOW what my true fuel mileage is with our bone stock '02 Ex with the PSD and there are many documented cases of potential for much greater improvement with some simple modifications...
    The PSD reacts well to air intake and exhaust modifications with 20 to 50 HP increases and better mileage from the increased effeciency...
    More air intake = better burn rates of the fuel..
    Proper exhaust tuning = better flow thru the engine... (You can't accept more input without better output!)
    It reacts even better to re programming of the ECU by the Superchips Microtuner and/or the Hypertech Power Programmer with better transmission shift management and on-the-fly engine management. Many report upwards of 5 MPG increases with just the tuners...
    The claims of the tuners to give you increases of 80 HP are correct, with dyno verification of some owners. That's a 33% increase !!!

I don't care to defend my purchase ---
    because it is MY purchase and it is the right purchase for MY situation...
    But it amazes me to see the "I've never had experience with that, but I know what I'm talking about" argument...
    I know there are MANY more important battles we could spend our time on...
    But, after all, isn't that why we fight so hard to defend our "turf", because it is our "turf", not "their's" ???

If you got 'em, hug 'em - EVERY DAY - your children need that!
  • 66vette166vette1 Member Posts: 1
    I believe most people have set in their minds that they are either a ford person or chevy. We have a 2000 limited psd to tow our 66 corvette with. I think its a fantastic truck. Its quiet, sound, no rattles or shakes, and great power and mileage. We put in after market items like the 4inch exhaust and a programer (60 extra hp) and filter, and this thing really goes. I would have liked to have a color matching chevy with my trailer and vette, but in my mind the chevys are not in the same ballpark. Every older sub ive been in, rattles, and just seams to wear out a little faster than the fords we have been in. Its all personal opinions, and experiences. Also, my wife looks real good getting out of that limited psd, and the 21mpg on the highway (not towing) looks real good too!
  • biodieselbiodiesel Member Posts: 2
    Ask yourself why you are buying a monster SUV. Do you REALLY need such a large car ? If so, you may be better off with a cargo van, a minivan, a large wagon, or just renting a truck when the occassion arises. Do you NEED to tow stuff all the time ? You may be better off with a diesel-powered truck, then. They're quite a bit cheaper and have quite a bit more torque when a comprably-equipped gasoline-powered truck or SUV.

However, if you are getting a monster SUV to "keep up with the Jones" or boost your self-image, let me ask you this ? How does it feel to throw $40,000+ down the toilet, while at the same time offending everybody else on the road, harming the environment, and supporting terrorism ? 3 for 1 !!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...supporting terrorism ?

I think that's a bit over the top. If you buy clothing, food or diamonds from abroad one could conclude, using the same "logic," that you support the exploitation of children, slave labor and despotic governments.

tidester, host
  • theriddlertheriddler Member Posts: 7
    Hey at lest the Excursion has a purpose. You can tow tons and cart around at lest 8 people. What about the GM Hummer it gets as bad of gas mileage, you can only carry 5 adults and I'm sure it would be a crappy tow vehical because of the short wheel base. I don't understand why all those tree huggers aren't crying about that $55k plus gas guzzler like when the Excursion came out. The Hummer would use twice as much gas to take 8 adults on a 500 mile trip because you would have to use 2 Hummers compared to 1 Ecursion and they would have a more comfortable ride in the Excursion.
  • randpall3863randpall3863 Member Posts: 28
    My girlfriend and I did not need any of these when looking both on-line and at dealers for an SUV. We do not plan to do any heavy hauling or towing. But I did check and compare both.

I checked the engines, features, transmissions and towing capacities. I found the fuel-injected 6.8L V10 for the Excursion has less horsepower than the 6.0L V8 Power Stroke Turbo Diesel. So, I compared it with that engine with the .75-ton Suburban and Envoy XL, both of those with 4WD.

The Excursion has 5 more horsepower than the Suburban or Envoy XL. But GM's are also available with a more powerful optional 8.0L V8. The Excursion has a shiftable 5-speed automatic transmission. The Suburban and Envoy XL have a 4-speed automatic. The Excursion's maximum towing capacity with that engine is 11,000 pounds. The .75-ton Suburbans and Envoy XL's is 12,000. It is 1,000 more, which is handy if needed. And the 2 GM's are estimated to get better fuel economy than the Excursion. There is more.

I am sure I am not the only one who still has cassettes as well as CD's. Cassette is standard in the 2 GM's. It is optional in the Excursion.

If I was to go with a bigger SUV, I would choose one of the 2 GM's over the Excursion. But I had to state the facts about all 3 SUV's.
  • automan227automan227 Member Posts: 118
    Ok. Now here is the response from an Excursion owner with the 7.3L DIESEL not the 6.0L DIESEL. What you need to remember when comparing these trucks is that the V10 is not really the best engine for towing in the Excursion. With that in mind, I can gurantee you that the 6.0L diesel will get significantly better gas mileage then the 8.0L Gas V8 in the GM's. I only know this because I own a 7.3L Diesel and it gets better mileage then my friends 8.0L Gas V8. On top of that, the Excursion has more torque then 8L Gas V8, which means more pickup on the low-end when accelerating, better mileage then a gas engine while towing, and a much smoother ride while towing. Please Keep in mind, the Envoy XL is a completely different vehicle, with a different weight, differrent engine options, and totally different target area so you cannot really include that in a comparison with 2 .75 ton trucks.

Just thought I would give the facts.
    AS
  • jogibajogiba Member Posts: 27
    The diesel Excursion has a 20,000 lb GCWR 560 ft lbs Tq @2,000 rpm 44 gal tank and 20 mpg on the highway. Go to any RV forum and you will see the Suburban is not in the same class .
    http://photos.thedieselstop.com/showphoto.php?photo=8709&papa- ss=&sort=1
  • shieattshieatt Member Posts: 75
    cptmcf and gagrice: I was reading your reaction to the SUV bashing, and I have to say that I am in complete agreement. I saw some pictures this weekend of a pileup on I-75 in Dayton. One of the pictures showed a Toyota Corolla that rear-ended a tractor-trailer, and which was itself rear-ended by another tractor-trailer. It was unrecognizable and pushed completely under the trailer in front of it. A Jeep behind the second tractor-trailer suffered an identical fate. No one in the Corolla or the Jeep survived. We are having our fourth child and we struggled between an '04 Sienna minivan and an '03 Suburban. While I know the Sienna is a relatively very safe vehicle, the one thing about crash tests is that they don't take into account what the tested car is hitting or what is hitting it. If I'm going to be the meat in a tractor-trailer sandwich, I want to be in a Suburban (or Excursion) sitting high, with a stiff frame, several feet of hood and engine in front of me, and several feet of cargo space behind the 3rd seat in which my children are sitting. Plus, the new Suburban has "smart" front airbags and available side airbags. Do I wish it had more airbags (e.g., side curtain)? Yes, but at the end of the day give me more steel between me and the other vehicles on the road over more airbags. Do I "need" a big SUV? You never know... Feel free to tax gas and use the proceeds to clean the air and develop more fuel-efficient technologies. I'm willing to pay for size and safety... and I certainly won't feel bad about making the choice between guzzling 200 more gallons of gas over the course of a year in return for the best safety I can get for my wife and 4 children.

All this being said, our other car is a Volvo wagon, which is just about as good in most situations when you only have to transport 3 or 4 people.
  • shieattshieatt Member Posts: 75
    Just a few corrections/updates about the accident referenced in the above post - it actually was on I-70. There were 3 people in the Toyota, a 22 year-old mother, her 22 month old child and a 1 year old neice. All 3 died. The guy in the Jeep lived, but is in critical condition. See http://www.daytondailynews.com/localnews/content/localnews/daily/0721fatal.html.
  • winbladwinblad Member Posts: 1
    When I compared Suburban and Excursion vehicles 3 years ago, the obvious choice for me was the Excursion. With the higher std. towing capacity, V-10 powertrain, and the much valued substantially increased interior room that the Suburban lacks. I couldn't believe that Chevy/GM chose to eliminate so much passenger room with that ridiculous placement of the seatbelts in the second row. Bad engineering design!

With two teenage daughters (and their friends and/or cheerleading squads) and a baby (with all the gear required), my stepmother's Suburban can't even come close to the passenger room and storage space behind the 3rd row seat.

If we aren't moving that many people, then we might take the Suburban. If we want to move a lot of people and gear, and/or tow a heavy payload, we always take the Excursion.

When it came time to choose another SUV a week ago, I chose another Excursion, and still love it more than any other SUV out there on the road. It's the clear winner against a Suburban, in my book!
  • gcajiaojrgcajiaojr Member Posts: 4
  • sjhflippersjhflipper Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Excursion Limited and I just bought a 2003 Z71 1500 Suburban for my wife. Both are 4x4s and are loaded. If you compare vehicles you must compare an Excursion with a 2500 Suburban. Next you can buy a diesel Excursion for the same price as a 2500 gas Suburban. I get 18.2 miles to the gallon with my (7.3L) Excursion (3.73 rear-end)@ 70 mph and the Excursion has a 44 gallon tank. That's over 800 miles per tank. Also, I can buy diesel for 151.9 compared with 189.9 for unleaded. The Suburban (5.3L / 3.73 rear-end)has 31 gallon tank and gets 16 miles per gallon @ 70 mph. Don't forget the diesel excursion is warranted to 100,000 miles and will last a lot longer than a gas engine. Also, with my comparison I have a 1500 Suburban not a gas guzzling 2500. The maintenance is a little more on the diesel, however, do it yourself and an oil change will cost you only $20 more on the diesel. My wife's Suburban is gadget friendly and has a lot to offer the driver. Onstar, XM sat radio, drivers information center that is out of this world, memory seats, 3-way lumbar support, dual heated front seats with 3 temp settings on your back and butt, 3 zone climate control and so much more I can't possibly mention them all. I just drove the suburban 700 miles and it was amazing. Here is the bottom line, the Excursion is a man's truck I wish it had the electronic features that are standard in the LT Suburban (Ford is dropping the ball we want computers that tell us everything and are at our finger tips (Ford get with the program)), however, I like the way Excursion drives and the confidence I have in the longevity of the diesel engine and ruggedness in the F250 frame. My wife on the other hand loves her Suburban (if only GM would put a diesel with the allison tranny in the suburban) and equally enjoys the fact that her Z71 drives like a car. Oh by the way, when we make extended trips together with both vehicles I tow the Suburban behind the Excursion, for the same reasons I listed above with regards to the diesel engine and MPG. Hopefully this offers some insight from a two SUV family. To all you earth friendly psychos, I'm confident that my family and friends will survive an impact with your Honda insight... how about you?
    To all you earth friendly psychos, I'm confident that my family and friends will survive an impact with your Honda insight... how about you?

This is not the place to fight the "SUVs vs. the World" battles. Take it over to the I don't like SUVs, why do you? discussion.

tidester, host
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    ...the fact that her Z71 drives like a car.

LOL! I guess that's compared to the Excursion :-)

BTW...have either of actually driven a car? ;-)

...I tow the Suburban behind the Excursion...
    Hopefully this offers some insight from a two SUV family.

Posting that certainly offers some insight into you ;-)

I'm confident that my family and friends will survive an impact with your Honda insight... how about you?

Oh, who cares. It's not like they're, you know, human or anything.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    but it appears you killed the thread, unfortunately. I was really enjoying reading this cocophany of testosteronism. In my early days, a driveway with a Cadillac & a Lincoln in it was a house where somebody refused to be outdone! I think towing a Burb with an Excursion tops that easily!
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    With 13 posts since January and no posts for 6 months, I think it was dead already.
    I think it was dead already.

Agree!

Besides, none of these folks ever showed up for the party at I don't like SUVs, why do you?. :-)

tidester, host
This discussion has been closed.