Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lincoln MKS

Comments

• Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I believe one of the things that did drive up costs was the ability to order any possible combination of options, where some car nut calculated that there were over 10 million (???) possible vehicles that could be made...instead they need to do what the imports do, make 3 or 4 levels of cars, and those are the option packages available...when Honda makes Accord Ex's, they make a bunch, with and without leather...then LX's and so on...you do have option availability, but really quite limited compared to what GM and Ford used to offer, part of what may have accelerated them into the current situation...
  • Options
    speculatorspeculator Member Posts: 116
    Lincoln is not going back to rear wheel drive. Ford cancelled the new global rwd platform design for the replacement of the Aussie Falcon. Instead it will use the North American Taurus platform when it introduces the replacement for the present Falcon after 2013. Where can I find the info that Lincoln is going back to rwd? Really I would like to know. The Taurus SHO is not a optional performance package. Insurance companies are classifying it as a new model. That's the info that I get from my connections with Ford. The real reason for offering option packages on vehicles is because of corporate greed. It has nothing to do with what is good for the consumer but what is good for the company. I take it that you are in the car business. Hasn't a client ever complained to you about having to purchase a whole lot of other items that he has no use for but yet in order to get the item he does want he has to buy 4 or 5 other items in a package that could cost 2 or 3 thousand dollars. Ford and the other manufacturers only need to have a base car for each model and the only items needed as standard are ac, power windows ,power door locks power trunk lid realease ,rear window defogger and stereo. If the customer wants something else let him pick and choose from an option list. See in the old days that's the way business was done. Now there is a Taurus SE, SEL and Limited. The only difference is is that the higher the price the car is the more standard equipment is added. This only drives up the price. while the consumer is left with either take it all or it's nothing. The idea is to make a car more affordable. Easier for a family to purchase.
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Fusion S - AC, power pkg
    Fusion SE - AC, power pkg, stereo, wheels opt:SYNC/sun
    Fusion SEL - Leather + SE + blind spot, nav optional
    Fusion Sport - big engine, slushbox

Accord DX or VP or whatever they call the base now - AC, power pkg
    Accord LX-P - alloy wheels, 6 speaker stereo
    Accord EX - 6-cd changer, sunroof
    Accord EX-L - Accord EX w/leather, nav optional.

Hmm seems pretty similar to me.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    You don't know what Lincoln is going to do in 2 or 3 years and just because global RWD is on hold now doesn't mean it won't be restarted. I think it depends on how well Ford is doing financially and what happens with gas prices. They'll need a new platform for the mustang soon and it would seem silly to make a new platform that only the Mustang could use.

What I mean by the SHO being a trim level is that if you don't want the SHO package then you can get the same vehicle in SE, SEL or Limited trims. Calling it a different model is just marketing BS.

As for trim levels and options - the SE IS the base model. If you want more options you get the SEL, then the Limited. Are there people who want to get the SE model but with only one or two options instead of the SEL? Of course! There always will be. But for every one of those people who don't buy a Ford for that reason there are hundreds more who will step up to the SEL model to get that option and Ford makes more money.

And that doesn't even consider the dealer's viewpoint. I can't believe you own a dealership and think everything should be optional. Not everyone is willing to wait and custom order a vehicle, especially when the Honda and Toyota dealer down the street has one of every color and option package sitting on the lot ready to roll.

Either you don't own a dealership or you haven't set foot in it for a long time. Why don't you go ask your sales manager whether he wants the current packages or a la carte options on a base vehicle and tell us what he says.

I think you're stuck in the 70's. It's a different world now.
  • Options
    ameliapameliap Member Posts: 3
    I have been trying for 2 months to order and purchase a new 2010 MKS. I can't get a Lincoln dealer to return my calls or emails. I have talked to 4 in and out of my state. I either get told that you can't order them yet, which I know isn't true, or if I question their price quote, they won't call me back, or they try to send me onto a different vehicle or they keep sending an email saying "didnt you get my earlier email" which is they didn't send me an earlier email or I would've responded. You would think these guys would want a sell. Is there a Lincoln dealer out there willing to sell a 2010 MKS with the Ecoboost engine?
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Not to rain on your parade, but is it possible that they HAVE been emailing you and it was placed in your Spam or Trash folder???...just a thought, no intent to insult...
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Gee, if Subaru used recycled plastic for seats and wood chip scrap from furniture manufactures, they would be HAILED for their environmental conscience instead of lambasted for being cheap.....

Ford can't win, no matter what they do.

I have suede seats in my Mountaineer, and they hold up like iron. I'm thrilled with them, and also don't care if my wood in my Lexus comes from the Brazilian Rainforest or from North Carolina...... It's pretty, it holds up, and I like it.
  • Options
    esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    This country has a penchant for kicking those that are down. The US automakers are seeing this full force right now. It's hard to break the cycle. I hope they can do so before it's too late because they are finally making decent product and yet they are getting picked on for the little things we would look the other way on for "trusted" manufacturers. Remember that Toyota started making cheap cars but learned (really well) and are now in that trusted group. Same for Honda. So let's back off and give these guys a chance.
  • Options
    True, but for once Ford is rising above the others and being hailed for their accomplishments. Even the comments on other websites are mostly positive for a change. The new models, product quality, best in class fuel mileage and lack of government assistance have changed a lot of people's opinions of Ford. Now they need to keep it up and build on it. The new Fiesta, Transit Connect and Euro Focus should help even more.
  • Options
    brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    Amazing. I contacted 3 Minneapolis dealers when I was ready. One had kept in touch since last summer and had given me a copy of the order guide. I emailed the exact specs/codes that I wanted to the 3 dealers and asked for their best price. One emailed me and asked me to come in to talk price. The other two sent me a breakdown of MSRP and dealer invoice and gave me the price quote. The one that had kept in touch since last summer and gave me the order guide earned my business. I have not heard anything from the other two since the initial email responses.

Marsha might be right about your spam filter. Also, I always email a person - not just a general email address. I emailed the Internet Manager and cc'ed the GM.
  • Options
    ameliapameliap Member Posts: 3
    No, I checked my spam/junk mail (i don't delete it, just moved to a separate file) and nothing.
  • Options
    Several members of the press have driven the MKS Ecoboost. Some even took the cars to Milan Dragway and the results are on you-tube.

Some of the times posted seem almost too good to be true. It would do Ford no good to give the press a "ringer" but 13.9 in the quarter at 111 MPH seems pretty incredible for a 4400 pound car with 355 HP. Given the weight, frontal area, and the 2.77 gearing, I expected 0-60 in the low sixes and quarter mile times in the mid-high 14s and the upper 90s for speed at the end of a quarter. It will be interesting to see if the production versions are as quick as the pre-production models driven by the press.
  • Options
    I might just be writing this post to myself....no activity for nearly two weeks!

Lots has been written about the initial impressions of the twin-turbo MKS - most of it being extremely encouraging and positive. I have been a bit surprised with all the talk about suspension changes. The Lincoln Order Guide makes no mention of this. Ford press releases mention the sway bars being slightly larger in the twin-turbo models but there has been no talk of "sport tuned suspension" or the like. The press, OTOH, has talked about much sportier handling due to stiffer springs, struts, bushings, etc.

While you can't undo poor weight distribution, a relatively mundane suspension and high center of gravity, Ford typically is good at tweaking and improving handling - IE: the Mustang. I just hope they haven't gone overboard in the firmness to the point of making the MKS ride too stiffly. There are some who think the base car is too firm. I think it is about right but I wouldn't want it much firmer.

Anyone have any real inside information on the difference in the suspension tuning of the base vs. Ecoboost models?
  • Options
    datagendatagen Member Posts: 107
    Your curiosity on the suspension raises a question. Why would a 3.5 (supposing to be smaller/lighter engine) need a special suspension for it? Is the suspension a lighter yet stiffer version of its predecessor to complement the power of the engine? Or to fight it with such stiffness that you will feel like you are driving a huge corvette. I guess I am kinda surprised with Ford approach here. While you do have a point about the weight distribution I do not ever recall Ford mentioning the special suspension as a package with the engine during the Ecoboost promotion in the past couple of years.

So if this was all planned then was the weight distribution situation on purpose? With all the technology/testing at their disposal, It is hard for me to believe that the weight distribution was an error.
  • Options
    The 3.5 and 3.7 are really the same weight but the turbos and associated plumbing, etc. actually make the 3.5 Twin-turbo a bit heavier. Ford lists the weight of the Ecoboost MKS at over 4400 pounds according to their website.

If the suspension tuning is different on the Ecoboost model, it is likely in an effort to improve handling. The assumption, I suppose, is that anyone who wants a car that goes like a scalded monkey will also want it to handle better than the average mid-luxury sedan. I just hope they didn't make the ride too stiff to suit me.

The order guide lists "functional differences" between the 2009 and 2010 models and also lists the differences between the ecoboost model and the base car. They make no mention whatsoever of suspension differences or "sports" suspension or anything of the kind. The Taurus order guide, by contrast, makes a major point of the sports suspension package in the SHO compared to the base Taurus.

I guess I will see how the ride is when mine comes in.
  • Options
    Yes, I guess you will see how the ride is when you pick up your car. It is remarkable that some people will pay that much money for a car they have never driven--and especially one which is such a huge compromise in styling and execution for what used to be a brand to which to aspire. Most people will see the SHO as better looking and a better deal than the MKS.

But some people have to buy Lincoln, or it will go away. Enjoy your car. Me, I will wait for a Lincoln that people really notice when I drive by. The MKS is not it (it could be a model from any number of near-luxury nameplates...except it is a bit too tall, and the wheelbase is too short for the size of the car). Am hoping the MKT will come off better in the marketplace...at least the wheelbase is a bit more proportional to the size, though not by much.

It still amazes me that Ford can draw such large cars that look smaller and shorter than they are. Why? What is the point of that?
  • Options
    ak103ak103 Member Posts: 11
    Since when is he buying a car he's never driven? He drove the standard MKS and before paying for the Ecoboost when it comes in, he'll test drive it and decide from there. Just because you order a car, doesn't mean you have to take it. All you're doing is filling out a buyer's order when you order a car, that's not a binding contract. Technically, you're also entitled to your deposit back. Dealers are generally not allowed to keep deposits for cars, no services have been rendered. And its not a wacky color combination, ordering a black MKS let's say with a Camel interior is not exactly what I would consider problem inventory.

And to the look of the car, that's personal preference. I happen to think the MKS is one of the best looking sedans in its relative segment at the moment. And honestly, there aren't too many sedans you can buy today that people really notice when you drive by. Especially if you live in the tri-state area and the like where high end vehicles are rather common.
  • Options
    Me, I will wait for a Lincoln that people really notice when I drive by.

That is a big difference between you and me. I don't have the need to be noticed.

I have no sympathy for people who take a short test drive, buy the car because it is pretty, and then complain about something that they should have noticed before purchase. Gregg, I am not suggesting you would do that but we all know some people do.

I doubt that very many people have done as much research on the MKS as I have. I have driven a number of 2009 MKSs. I had one for a weekend to evaluate. I have read about everything that has been written about them. The only thing that kept me from owning one was the knowledge that the twin-turbo was coming.

As has been pointed out, I am not obligated to take the car that I ordered. The order simply assures me that I will have the option of buying the car equipped exactly as I want. I have seen nothing, so far, that would stop me from accepting the car after an extensive examination and test drive of the particular car I ordered. In fact, based on the early reviews by the press, I am more excited than ever.
  • Options
    displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    I think the car is already noticeable, particularly the front end. From the rear it would be more noticeable if they can fix the taillights and give it more of the horizontal “Lincoln look”. Hopefully a style refresh will do that.

OTH, I also think Gregg is right in that the car does look smaller than it is. There’s something about the rear quarter view / C pillar treatment that just makes the car look stubby. The Lexus G series has the same thing going for it.
  • Options
    Agreed, on the front. The back could use a change, but some whom I have talked with on this subject have told me that even though they wish the lights were more horizontal, the current looks makes it distinctive from other vehicle, especially when the vehicle has its turn signals on to make a turn. The chrome bands on the roof seem to compliment that distinctiveness as well from a rear view.
  • Options
    It looks shorter to my eyes than it really is, too. The deck seems very short in relationship with the roof. While the overall shape reminds me of a Buick Lucerne, the Buick looks a bit sleeker to me. The MKS is awfully tall for its wheelbase.

I agree the front is pretty striking. Overall, I think the car looks pretty upscale and somewhat distinctive - just not strikingly attractive! I have been driving an LS for 10 years. I got the first one my dealer sold in May, 1999. Anyone who noticed it (and few did) thought it was a Mitsubishi. I think the MKS makes a much stronger statement than the LS did.

By the way, Lincoln has updated their website with more information on the 2010 MKS and the "build and price" section is functional.
  • Options
    My dealer emailed me the VIN of the car I ordered and I was able to pull up a PDF of the window sticker. There is a date on it of June 10. I don't know if that was the build date of the car or if it was just the date the VIN was issued. Does anyone know if the Chicago plant has even started building 2010s yet?

By the way, the window sticker shows EPA ratings of 17/25 so the ecoboost picked up 2 MPG over the 3.7 base AWD model. Time will tell if real world FE is better. With the 2.77 gearing, I would expect good highway mileage at cruise.
  • Options
    drew70301drew70301 Member Posts: 5
    Just got back from the dealer for a service to include an oil change. On checking the oil level this weekend, I noticed it appears to be a bit overfilled. My question is, how careful does one have to be about this? Will it hurt anything? Should I stop driving the car until it is taken care of?

I certainly don't want to do long term damage to the engine. What sort of damage could this cause?

Now when I say overfilled, it is a bit difficult to tell exactly where the top of the oil is on the dipstick. However, the top hole (at the full mark on the dipstick) is definitely not empty. The oil definitely goes over this hole for at least 2 or 3 mm. It is just hard to say how much further up it goes since the oil is so new. I am checking on level ground first thing in the morning, before using the car for the day. I am removing the dipstick, wiping it before reinserting, then removing it for the read.

Thanks for any thoughts.
  • Options
    It shouldn't be above the top hole. My guess is that there is enough capacity in the pan than no real damage would result from such a small amount over. Too much oil and the crankshaft spinning can whip the oil and make it foamy. It doesn't sound like you are anywhere near that. The owners manual does warn about overfilling, though.

This happened to a friend of mine with his Taurus. It calls for 5.5 quarts and they put in 6. They drained some out and all is well. No more Jiffy-lube for him, though.
  • Options
    alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    I ALWAYS have to tell them that it's NOT NECESSARY to top off the oil...
  • Options
    drew70301drew70301 Member Posts: 5
    Problem resolved. After a few calls to the service desk where I am not sure they believed me, and after telling me that I needed to check the oil within 5 minutes after turning the engine off so as to distribute the oil, I called the salesman that sold me the car. He believed me without hesitation and on his initiative told me that they would send a driver to pick up the car and return it. I might have helped my case by telling him that I was no longer driving the car and that since I had no idea how much it was overfilled, that I was considering having it towed instead of driving it to the shop. Later that day, I got a call from the service manager who said he would personally come to the house to check the oil and decide if it was safe to drive.

The manager told me that it was a full quart overfilled. He told me that they had a problem with the bulk supply and that they had to break out the individual quarts. They made a mistake. I don't know if his determination of a full quart too much was from a measurement or from an estimate.

So, after 4 days and about 200 miles of driving with a quart too much oil, should I worry about damage down the road? I notice the service today is not listed on the owners website service history. I suppose I should ask them to make sure it is logged properly in the service history.

I have had a total of 4 oil changes at a dealer over the last 20 years and there has been a problem with each of them. I have not had good luck.

1. Once in the early 1990's, I noticed on the receipt that 10W40 oil was used, I asked why since that is not what the owner's manual called for. The answer was that they used 10W40 because it was hot in this part of the country.

2. In the late 1990's, I had a sable with the bigger engine option. On the receipt printout, I noticed that the volume of oil used was not correct for my engine. No big deal, I added more at home. I pointed it out to them but they didn't believe me. I didn't have the printout anymore since it was a few months down the road.

3. With my towncar in the mid 2000's, they cross treaded the oil pan plug. Of course, this was noticed at my next oil change at my regular place. I was standing right there chatting with him inspecting the underside of the car when I saw he was having trouble removing the plug. Of course, he had a suitable replacement in his drawer.

4. current oil overfill issue and they sure didn't believe me until they saw it for themselves.

Sort of unbelievable.

Lots of points for this salesman. I have bought 3 cars from him already.
  • Options
    Remember each dealership is their own world no matter what agreements or contracts that have been worked out with the manufacture. I have found one dealership that has service me well and will work on any vehicle I take to them (domestic or foreign). Even at this one I will insist on a visual inspection of the oil levels after changes are performed. There is just too much involved and you can’t be overly careful. ;)
  • Options
    Only if your LS is worth less than $4500 on trade in, and the MKS is 10 mpg more fuel efficient than your LS. Oh, and your LS must go to the crusher.
  • Options
    That's a pretty slick login name there George - took me a few hours to figure it out!
    ;)
  • Options
    Good luck on that one. Would your LS make the clunker's list?
  • Options
    Ok Everyone, I have hit the 10,000 mile marker and it is time for an update. It seems pretty broken in now. The ride is smothering, but I suspect it is not as smooth as those with the 19 and 18 inch rims. The engine seems quieter and the punch distance (gas pedal to floor distance) seems about the same. One thing I have noticed is that when I do punch it, the engine revs up and the whole car moves together, not the front end hauling [non-permissible content removed] like the engine wants to leave the body and the backend praying that it can keep up.

I do not have the blind spot indicators and sometimes I thought I could use them with the high shoulders and all. Due to this body style I have become a more cautious driver (safer, well that may be another story). My garage and driveway is a little tight so backing up in it sets all the sensors off so much that you think the car was going into cardiac arrest.

I just got my wife the new 2010 MKZ loaded. It may keep me off the couch a couple of month. It seems a little shorter and lighter than my Zephyr. That 3.5 does not play on this body. The stabilizers strain to keep an even keel when you gun this fella. Don't need an Ecoboost here. You will get enough tickets with the 3.5 alone. We took it down to Ohio for the holidays (wrong answer). The PoPo was everywhere and it was a strain keeping those horses under control.

The MKS would have been much better suited for that trip. The one big thing I did notice between the two is the nav system. You can see there have been some upgrades and the way it looks right now, I do not see those types of upgrades being available for previous models with the nav package. One feature on the MKZ is there is a keypad on the screen where you can punch your radio station numbers in. This is good because it cuts down the distance you take your eyes away from traffic. On the MKS, you have to look lower on the mid console. Who knows, I may be able to suggest the upgrade as a safety feature. You think they would buy that? :)
  • Options
    Where the heck have you been?? Good to hear from you!

I have an offer of $6000 for my 10 year old LS with 112,000 miles on it. The offer is from a co-worker who knows how fussy I am with cars. My LS looks like it just came out of the showroom. Frankly, I feel a little guilty about selling it for that much, though - particularly to someone I see everyday! The guy wants it for his 18 year old daughter who only cares about the sound system and the moonroof.
  • Options
    Well, I have missed you. I needed a good natured troublemaker like you to talk me out of buying a slightly glorified Taurus and paying $15,000 more than it is worth!

You are right about needing the no b*tch contract. I already told him that I guarantee NOTHING and that the early models like mine had a few issues. His silly daughter just fell in love with it, though. The first time it snows, she will probably wreck it, anyway.
  • Options
    Datagen, congratulations for owning both an MKS and an MKZ. Have you ordered an MKT, yet? :)

The 2010 MKZ is a pretty nice car. How would you compare it with your MKS in terms of ride, quietness, and overall refinement? Is your Z FWD or AWD?
  • Options
    My Z is AWD and it is much more responsive than the MKS. I had the Zephyr for a while and was able to compare the Z with it. I notice a more responsiveness even compared to its predecessor. The electronic toys are nice, but what really stunned me was the style of the interior. Just when I though my Zephyr had a beautiful interior, this new Z leaves it in the dust. The ambient lighting adds a nice touch to it as well. It seemed to me they took the 1950’s and made it look new again. Since it is a lighter vehicle than the MKS, it responsiveness is understandable. Even though it has the THX certified sound system as well, The MKS seems to blow by it with the extra speakers (tweeters) front and rear. The Z give me a more sports car feel where the MKS provides a more luxury ride. For some reason, I am not in tuned with the MKT yet. :(
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..penchant for kicking those that are down...."

No.

If anything we have a "penchant" for "rooting" for the underdog.
  • Options
    ak103ak103 Member Posts: 11
    Well, I saw a new Taurus today with manufacturer plates (silver/chrome wheels) and then a few minutes later an MKS Ecoboost with the Appearance Package in black drove by. The car was very clean, it looked great.
  • Options
    My dealer is having their Taurus introduction "event" the last week of July. Not sure if they will have inventory to sell or just a couple of cars to show the public. They think my MKS might be in next week. I have my doubts about the delivery of mine so soon based on what I read in BON. I hope I am wrong. I wouldn't mind driving an SHO and an ecoboost MKS back to back before I take delivery, though.

All the press drove pre-production MKSs with the appearance package but that option will not be available until later. They should have had it ready for those who want ecoboost with a bit more difference from the base car. I didn't really want it but a lot of people seem to like the appearance package.
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I would not expect there to be any damage at all with a one quart overfill. Added to that, you only drove it 200 miles that way, it's VERY unlikely that any consequences could be a result. I would drive with confidence.
  • Options
    dmitribdmitrib Member Posts: 5
    trying to decide what to buy , Linkoln MKS or Cadillac CTS , any advice ?
  • Options
    I would recommend you examine both carefully and take extensive test drives in both. A dealer should have no problem with you taking either of these cars home overnight or maybe even a weekend. It is also important to decide exactly what your priorities are, what you like, and what you couldn't live with.

I have driven both and I am buying an MKS. However, your priorities may be totally different than mine. If you like sharp, sporty handling, tightly controlled ride, and good comfort in a smaller package, you will probably prefer the CTS. If you lean more toward quieter, softer luxury, and lots of room front and rear, you may prefer the MKS. They are vastly different cars and are both excellent at what they do. They just do different things well!

What is your current ride? What 3 things are most important to you in a car?
  • Options
    till few month ago i had lincoln continental 2001. I liked that car . Had an accident , some drunk women hit me had on at night on the high speed , my car got totaled. I never had any bproblem with my lincon , Before i saw MKS , i thoght that my next car i'll buy cadilac CTS, it very nice looking , sporty car . But now i dont know because MKS beautifull too.
    I'm 6 '2 ., so i need some room, comfort important , also dependable , quieter car.
    I never heard that you can get a car for a day to try , is it true ?
  • Options
    Brucelinc is correct. You can have a vehicle to test overnight, even weekend. I did it with my Zephyr, MKS, and MKZ. They will even deliver the car to your home once it arrives and is prep for you. He is also right about your own needs. If I recall correctly brucelinc was waiting for the ecoboost engine which I will be able to give you a direct report on at the end of the month. I will be test driving the new Taurus with the ecoboost and several other vehicles. So I plan on taking notes and letting all who are interested what I experienced. Brucelinc also hit on another point in the room area. If you plan on doing long distance traveling (300-800 miles), you may consider the MKS, City stuff the CTS can handle well. If you are looking at a sportier ride, then the CTS is your baby, but you may want to check out the New MKZ. It is very responsive and I suspect I should have a couple of speeding tickets by the end of August. :cry:
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about the accident with your Continental. If you liked that car, my guess is that you would find the MKS would be an awesome replacement. Yes, as Datagen says, if you are a serious shopper, a good dealer will arrange for you to spend some quality time with a car that you are considering. I had an MKS overnight and was offered a weekend with it. I gathered all the information I needed by having it overnight and driving it on my regular commute to work.

The base MKS comes with 18" Goodyear Comfortred tires. They are very quiet and ride nicely but the MKS is much firmer than the old Continental - much better handling with more control. The Ultimate Package includes 19" Goodyear RSA tires. It is a bit firmer than the base car with the 18" tires and I found them to generate a bit more road noise. Optional are 20" Michelins. They look awesome but are a bit firmer than the 18s or 19s. Depending on how sensitive you are to ride/quiet, you might want to try different MKSs with the various tire/wheel combinations. All are very good - not harsh at all - but there are subtle differences.

Datagen, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Ecoboost and the Taurus. I expect to be behind the wheel of one in the next couple of weeks myself. We can compare notes.
  • Options
    what is ecoboost ?
  • Options
    Media Ford has some new information about suspension and structural enhancements for the 2010 MKS. Below is an excerpt from the site. Kudos to Ford for taking a 1 year old model and upgrading it already. While the 2009 was smooth and quiet, the 2010 should be even better and more competitive with the prestige nameplates.

For 2010, Lincoln MKS was been treated to a ground-up review of its structure in an effort to improve upon its already ouststanding noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) characteristics. Additional bracing and strategically placed sound-deadening materials have produced a new level of cabin isolation, providing MKS drivers with a sense of sanctuary.

The structural enhancements have been supplemented by suspension improvements designed to further improve NVH while also enhancing the driving experience when pushed hard. Mounts and bushings have been extensively revised, and spring/shock tuning and front suspension geometry has been reworked to give drivers exceptional handling capabilities in a full-size luxury vehicle.

In addition to the refinements found throughout the MKS line, EcoBoost models take the tuning one step further. Larger stabilizer bars front and rear provide flatter cornering characteristics, and an entirely new front subframe aids in further adjustments to the suspension geometry. Combined with dual roll restrictors, the EcoBoost MKS is equipped with handling dynamics perfectly matched to its powerful, responsive engine – without sacrificing the luxurious ride Lincoln owners demand.
  • Options
    Ecoboost is Ford's name for their engines that feature direct injection and turbocharging. So far, the only ecoboost engine is the 3.5 V6 and will be available in the MKS, Taurus SHO, Flex, and MKT. Later, there will be 4 cylinder versions.

The benefit is more power from a smaller engine. The idea is that smaller engines use less fuel but the direct injection and turbos give them the power of larger engines. From my gearhead perspective, the big benefit is massive torque at very low RPM. That allows the use of more economical gearing. The MKS ecoboost is rated 2 MPG better highway mileage than the non-ecoboost AWD MKS but it has 85 more HP and runs like a scalded ape.
  • Options
    cadillac CTS 2009 also has direct injection model , is it the same?
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    cadillac CTS 2009 also has direct injection model , is it the same?

I know you realize this already, but just to be sure we are all on the same thoughts, Cadillac is a GM car, and the MKS is a Lincoln (which is part of Ford) so on that level, no, they are not at all the same.

If you mean is the GM direct injection engine as good as the Lincoln direct injection engine, then its worth noting that the MKS with EcoBoost uses turbo-charging as well. Using relatively small, efficient turbos gets rid of the lag people associate with the 70s and 80s turbo cars. In a straight line and on the highway, its a hoot to drive. The 3.6 liter normally aspirated (no turbo) in the CTS isn't as powerful, but the car is still very engaging to drive.

I think Brucelinc was pretty spot on that if you enjoyed the Town Car, the MKS in a standard trim level would be a great match, but if you wanted something more sporty, I would look at the EcoBoost MKS and the CTS. Either way, you will probably want to drive them both, there are subtle differences that might affect the day-to-day life.

I really like the navigation system in the MKS. I also really like the connectivity through SYNC for a cell phone and iPod. The iPod/phone interface in the Cadillac is a lot clunkier. I also don't like the temperature readout for the climate control for the Caddy is at my knee level.
  • Options
    Pretty sure all those improvements were done to handle the extra torque from the ecoboost engine.