Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• mrualmrual Member Posts: 13
    Wow it gets that bad?? waiting to see how my gas mileage does since i still have the ome exhaust system its still really new not going to change that till its time
  • 1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    I bought the Husky Liner mud guards for my 2007 NBS Silverado thru the Premier Motoring web site. Cost was $31.90 for each set (front +rear) plus $16 shipping for $79.80 total.

I installed the rears today, install was fairly easy. You need to drill four 1/8" holes on the inside lip of each fender per each guard. They also include some clear decal type mat'l. to install on the painted surface so that the plastic guards don't rub thru the paint where they touch the fenders. Good idea. The install of this decal stuff is also easy. You should remove the wheel for best access to the fender area. Install time was about 1 hour per guard. Instructions are clear and easy to follow.

The guards look very good, they are molded to fit around the lip of the fender, just like Chevy should have done, at least as an option. The fit is very good.

I held up the front guards to the fenders, they also look like they will fit very good. Install is similar, but you only have to drill one new hole for each of the front guards. The front guards use three existing holes in the fenders. I will do the install of the fronts soon.

They are long enough that they look like they will be effective at keeping mud off the quarter panels. But, I still need to see if they hang up on brush off road. If they are too long, the guards look like they could be trimmed fairly easy. Time will tell, although my Toyota trucks and Trooper had guards at least as big as these with no problems.

I would give these mud guards a thumbs up. Big thumbs DOWN to Chevy for not offering them.

1offroader
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    When I installed these on a previous Silverado I had them painted to match. Fairly easy since the truck was black. Made it a little easier to clean.

Yes, GM should offer something equal to or better. One Chevy dealer offers free guards but it has the dealerships logo on them.
    By installing the K&N FIPK and a PV catback system one thing I gained was noise. Add to that a set of headers and the truck was dam loud. After awhile it got tiring and mileage increase was non existant. I would have gained a better mpg by not installing the mods and laying off the gas which made more noise that for awhile was enjoyable. I also had the Hypertech programmer, Granatelli MAF, Magnecor wires......none of which gave me more mpg....

And yes, your throttle body will get trashed. Is it from the K&N oil? Don't know but since I dumped my K&N FIPK my throttle body doesn't get anywhere near as dirty.
    I guess as we get older the "noise" gets annoying. ;)
    did you make a mistake buying a silverado (Truck) why dont you build a race car insted and race in the sprint cup this year :confuse:
    your throttle body will get trashed if you over oil the filter all you need is vary little oil.. people seem to think more oil the better wash the filter let it air dry spray vary little oil on filter wait 1-2hrs dap off and your good to go .. been using K&N Filter since 1992 never had a problem .. :shades:
  • bigz04bigz04 Member Posts: 12
    I have Fab tech on my truck. And it was put on by Chevy in Las Vegas so they also warrantied it. But yes it will void the factory warranty other wise if not done by dealer, the best way around that is have the lift done at a place that will warranty the lift once on, to make up for what chevy will void because of it. CST is the best lift out according to a 4x4 test by 4wheel. Fab Tech was never tested in that test. By the way with a 6" lift my 33" tires barely clear the wheel well with out rubbing when you need to turn the wheel all the way. I lost no ride comfort with the lift except in the rear because of the add a leaf which you can get around if you just put a 6" block in. My lift came with a 4" block and required the add-a-leaf to get the full 6" in the rear. Lost gas mileage but returned with engine programmer.
  • feras99feras99 Member Posts: 4
    Hi can you help me
    I have 2008 silverado HD 2500 LT and i install the GM original navigation system but i had some problem with the sound its not that loud what used to be ( my speaker is not BOSS ) , and how to install the real camera if there is no direct input for it .
    I have 2008 silverado HD 2500 LT and i install the GM original navigation system but i had some problem with the sound its not that loud what used to be ( my speaker is not BOSS ) , and how to install the real camera if there is no direct input for it .
  • bpari005bpari005 Member Posts: 9
    Alright here's the scoop. All chevy's with factory nav have the Bose System from the factory and that is factory amplified sound system. The reason the sound is not very loud is you are missing the amplifier that is normally amping up the outputs from the nav unit. To fix this problem them there is one easy way and that is an aftermarket 4-channel amp. And the back up camera is another easy one. Yes it can be done. Most reputable customs shops can do this. It requires a special interface that can be quite costly though. Also the truck will have to take a trip to the dealership afterwards to be reflashed and have the camera function turned on. Honestly in my opinion an aftermarket dual-din in-dash DVD player would have worked way better for what you are doing. It would fix the audio, have an input for the back up camera already, be upgradeable, sound better, look better, and cheaper. But that's my opinion. Anyways any other questions just post'em up.
    Thanks bpari005 for your Replying, i got one more question im using the nav outside the united states where is the radio frequency is different foe example ( we used the channel 88.8 as music channel ) how to fix this problem.
  • robmik2000robmik2000 Member Posts: 1
    I've searched all over this forum and a couple of others without any luck -- hope someone here can help me.

I've a 2002 Sierra extended cab with the long overhead console in the roof. It currently has the slot to hold a single portable garage door opener, but I want to replace that with the GM 3 button homelink module. I picked up a used homelink module and have removed my console, however the homelink module has 3 wires (orange, black, and brown), while my old console only has the orange and black going into it. Can someone tell me what the brown wire is and if there is an easy way to connect this up?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike
    Rough guess on those wires would typically be orange- 12V constant/ brown ACC+ / and black ground-
    the lowest fequency that the radio will pick up is 87.9 I am not sure if that can be changed. Sorry
  • skipvskipv Member Posts: 7
    Have the FIPK kit on a 1999 Silverado with Gibson Headers and a Borla Cat Back with Hypertech PPGM. Nice quiet sound at 75MPH without being annoying.

Truck runs well with 89 octane and gets 17 around town with enough kick to squeal 20 inchers.

Did not see much difference in commuting miles by going synthetic so Castrol 5W-30 works for me.
  • skipvskipv Member Posts: 7
    Throttle body get trashed on the inside from the breather behind the plate. Some good TB cleaner and rags not only cleans it up but helps the TB seal better.

"Noise" is relative to the cost of your catback. Older is also a relative term.
    I don't remember an 89 octane setting for the Hypertech. Was either regular or premium for the programming. So do you have it set to regular and use 89 or premium?
  • jimvzjimvz Member Posts: 3
    Mike, I have a 2004 Sierra with the long overhead console. Were you able to find a replacement overhead console with the built-in homelink? If so where? I have called my dealer to price one and they claim they were not available, but I know better than that. Any suggestions as to where to fine one, parts numbers, approx price etc would be greatly appreciated.

~Jim
    You can check here:

Home link

You can email the vendor with your VIN to confirm it's the part you're looking for.
  • gkitegkite Member Posts: 11
    Hey bpari005 I see you work at a custom shop, Have a question about leveling kit for 1500HD. I have an 03 model crew cab 4 x 4 which when purchased had the front torsion bars cranked up to level truck and to accomedate 295-75-16" tire, rides rough.I was told that Off Road Unlimited sells a leveling kit which changes out the armature that the tortion bar fits into and changes the pitch so that you can have the cranked up hight but gain your front end travel back, thus allowing it to ride smother. Is this true, will it help my ride, or are they just trying to make a sale.
    Finished install on the front mud guards today. The fit is very good, just like the rear. Install was easy, about 1 hour per guard.

As I was doing the work I noticed that paint on the underside of the quarter panels behind the front wheel wells had a sandblasted look. Also, a little sandblasting effect on the front lower edges of the front doors. Some of the little nicks even go all the way down to the gray primer. It's not too bad yet, but I've had my truck a little less than a year and it is noticeable if you look closely. These guards will stop any more paint damage.

Mud guards are really needed esp. on a pickup or SUV that gets some use offroad. For the millionth time, it is STUPID not to offer them at least as an option. Thumbs down on GM for that decision.

These guards fit very well, & can be installed by anyone who has a basic ability with tools & who can follow directions. They are on 1offroader's Recommended List.

1offroader
  • chevy4life1974chevy4life1974 Member Posts: 2
    Whats wrong with the craftsman truck series??? I like my truck to go fast.By the way i do take it to a quartermile track in N.J. just for fun.
    Hey there.. I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 PU and I am wondering if these trucks are prewired for the outside rear view mirrors with the LED chevron turn signal indicators. I want to replace my stock factory mirrors with factory mirrors off a suburban of the same year that has the mirrors with the LED indicators. I don't imagine that I would be lucky enough that this is a plug and play upgrade, and if not, does anyone have wireing diagrams to assist me in making this upgrade? Thanks alot for any and all help. BTW: my current mirrors are heated. Thanks again.
  • country_boycountry_boy Member Posts: 3
    I have a 00 Sierra 1500 ext cab. I am thinking to put a 3in body lift, add a leaf, and torsion keys. I would like to know if i would need aftermarket shocks and if so what would you recomend?
  • ramosesramoses Member Posts: 1
    All I can say about my pickup is this: it came "custom" when I bought it for $500.00. The previous owner claims to have put btwn 7 and 8 different trucks into it.
    None of the parts is OEM. The cab and motor area 'seem' to be a 1978 GMC C1500.
    It has a 1978 GMC 250 L6 with/ 40k on it, new exhaust,nothing fancy, just a normal exhaust with/O cat;Midas said it was not required as the OEM 78 never had one and this is in SE Colorado. It has a granny-gear 4-speed floor mounted stick shift and from the motor you can see the flywheel or is it the clutch, the big geared wheel on the motor side of the trans. I just replaced the distributor as the old one was rusted out inside and the plates were loose and pivots and springs were missing. There is no power anything, no AC, and no radio. A "friend" chopped off some part of the carburetor as it wasn't being utilized I think he said the choke. The truck came with the wrong air cleaner as it covered half of the butterfly so I replace it with a Spectre cleaner but they get real dirty in a hurry.
    When I got it it had no bed, so I got one locally for $50.00, it's a 79 Silverado bed.
    Yes, you get what you pay for and it would need extensive work IF I was to go that way. Beside this a beater that gets me to work and back and is not intended to be a chick-magnet. Long story but maybe now you get the picture.
    So how can I or a shop increase MPG on this beater?I'm willing to use anything including foreign parts with adapter plates to accomplish this. Ugly is not a problem.
    What kind of mileage are you getting now? That would certainly help since it's a piece together kind of vehicle. Are you sure you want to throw more money at this thing at this point?
    If I could make one suggestion. Just do a six inch suspension lift and be done. I have done several on that body style and they are much easier. Parts cost will be a little higher but the lift not effect the ride as much. A body lift is a cheaper alternative but they don't increase your frame clearance and they take as long if not longer in most cases as a suspension lift. Also torsion keys can effect the ride quality. They stiffen the front end. I would suggest a fabtec 6" lift. They come with everything you need and will provide new shocks and easy step by step instructions as well as all the nuts and bolts. It would probably take you and a buddy two days if you have a litttle know how and a good assortment of tools.
  • seabuckleseabuckle Member Posts: 4
    Anyone got a comment on replacing the standard sterring assembly with the aftermarket zero-play needle bearing U-joint unit from LMC and others? I have an 04 Sierra - had the sterring shaft "exercised" once under warranty. Although the clunk sound went away, the first turn of the wheel each morning still has that not solid feel.
  • powderalpowderal Member Posts: 1
    is the wierd looking tip on the 08 duramax important to the system or can i change it to come out the side of the truck so i can use a skirt to tow with. it looks like it necks down a bit maybe for back presure for the cleanburn exhaust
    It is a part of the new 2010 emmissions system on the chevy duramax but it is more for the sound than anything else. replacing or removing it would not effect the performance of the truck. I would not mess with any of the rest of it though all kind of sensors are tied into the exhaust on those new models and I'm sure a dealership would love to charge you an arm and a leg to fix it.
  • wcviperwcviper Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Silverado 2500HD. I need to install an antenna for a 2-way radio and be able to place the coax connector in the cab of the truck.

Can anyone suggest the best method of running the coax cable from the antenna mount located close to the hood spring on the drivers side, into the cab?

Does it need to be run through the firewall? Do I need to drill through the firewall to do this or is there a place designed for third party use?

Is there a way to run the cable underneath the body and up into the cab without drilling through the firewall?

Thanks!
    You're saying you're going to mount the antenna on the front grill or the hood? There are cables and wires that run through the firewall that you could use or come in through the bottom of the cab via the plugged drain holes. Or drill a new hole and use a grommet.
  • dmaxchicdmaxchic Member Posts: 1
    powderal,

The new exhaust on the LMM is designed to cool the exhaust when the particulate filter burns off the soot that's collected (this happens about every 400 miles or so). It brings in fresh air to mix with the hot exhaust. The exhaust temps in the filter can get quite hot during this burnoff (upwards of 600º C, tailpipe temps about 1/2 that), so I would think twice about removing. Moving or bending upstream of the jet-pump (weird-looking tip) shouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't cut it off.
  • loren4loren4 Member Posts: 3
    S&S Headers has a new full length torque header for the LS engine trucks/SUV.
    You gain up to 15% H.P. and increase in fuel economy. Go to ssheaders.com & check it out.
  • loren4loren4 Member Posts: 3
    My Sierra has the 4.8 LS engine, & I put a set of S&S full length headers on & it really brought it to life. I've been averaging a little over 20mpg driving to work. I have a friend with a 4.3 V6 in a Malibu, & he also has S&S headers, & the headers definitely perked up his V6.
  • m1kepm1kep Member Posts: 1
    I've looked at both Snugtop and Leer. Leaning towards Snugtop XV (xtra vision). Does anyone have this on their truck? Satisfaction? I would get the Snugtop Super Sport but I've read framed windows on the XV make a stonger shell. But I've also read the sliding windows are much easier to break into. I don't have dogs to haul around so ventilation isn't critical. Do you really find the sliding windows useful for other purposes? Any advice appreciated. Leer fans out there?
  • mcjbmcjb Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if you can or how to bypass the fuel restriction or fuel gouvenor on a 1992 GMC Sierra?
  • jacmyoung2jacmyoung2 Member Posts: 20
    My 09 Silverado 1500 is a bit wider than the 04, I have to told my mirror to get through the garage door each time.

Do any of you know if the optional camper mirrors actually extand out less when fully retracted? Or if there are other optional mirrors out there I can consider?

Thanks in advance.
  • dsalomondsalomon Member Posts: 2
    Universal cold air intake more horse power better fule milage and works on almost and truck car want performance this cold air kit uses to your stock air clearner and the get cold fresh air from behind the grill. For $80 dollars the kits that cost hunderds of dollars are mounted under hood in the engine bay so they realy get cold air and very little fresh air.
  • dsalomondsalomon Member Posts: 2
  • levin1levin1 Member Posts: 8
  • levin1levin1 Member Posts: 8
    I'd like to put the wide field mirrors on my 2001 Chevy 2500 HD. I don't have power mirrors right now. Can I get them just manually operated? Thanks for any info.
  • kbl1kbl1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a camper and need to add a brake controller. How do I do this? Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kbl1kbl1 Member Posts: 2
    I just saw some today on e-bay. Type in silverado towing mirrors.
  • cabover30cabover30 Member Posts: 8
    have a couple of questions for the forum.

My son has a 2004 GMC Sierra reg cab that got broken into two nights ago. They gained entry by popped the drivers side door lock into the interior of the door.

So the first question I have is how hard is it to take off the inside panel of the door to retrieve the lock and is the lock any good anymore?

The second question I have is if the factory alarm system had been set properly (it got turned off accidentally) would it have gone off? If it would have alarmed, how did the thief know it was off?
  • ringo34ringo34 Member Posts: 2
    How can i get some pretty fast simple horsepower for under a grand? where's the best place to start, all i have is an intake right now.
    For less than a grand I'd opt for a custom tune or a Diablo programmer. Forget the exhaust and headers till later.