Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    transmissions. man, were they maintenance-intensive and short-lived. they got up to average, and somewhat better in the heavy duty stuff, but they seem to believe that they can shave here and trim there on anything not HD in the line until they can just get them to last through the warranty. put a torquey engine in front of those standard-duty things, and get ready for excitement.

although it seems the twin scourges of the industry now are head gaskets and paper mache transmissions.
  • jetranger430jetranger430 Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 Explorer, a 6 cylinder 4x2 model, is averaging 9.3 miles per gallon. It's taken 4 tanks of gas to drive 774 miles and the dealership has not found any issues with the vehicle. The sticker advertised 16 city and 21 highway, at 9.3 I'm almost at a Nascar's average per gallon. Any advice on this issue?
  • confuzed1confuzed1 Member Posts: 5
    Hey man i have the timing chain problem and a shop wanted to charge me $850 for repairs and labor how do i go about having the dealership fixing the problem also i have a problem with the driver side door locks and the handle any help there.
    Yea i checked the doorlocks and everything its lubed up and the latch works fine and now i have to hold the outside handle in just to unlock it and that dosnt work half the time
    Next time the check engine light comes on take it to a parts store that has a computer to read the codes and thats free
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    Even with agressive driving that is really low, my Expedition V8 got 14 mpg mixed. Although it will take 3-5000 mi for that engine to really loosen, that still seems way off. I just bought an '05 Explorer V8, only has 200 mi so I'll be measuring over the next few tankfuls; I'll post back with some numbers.
  • exploded99exploded99 Member Posts: 67
    Dealer mechanics are pressured to be highly productive for the dealership, so they don't take a lot of time diagnosing issues like this. If they cannot find an issue quickly, it becomes a "loss" for them, because you are under warranty and Ford is not going to reimburse them for two hours of sniffing around to locate a difficult to find problem - Ford is pretty tough on what they pay dealerships for under warranty. So if the dealership won't get paid for their time by Ford or by you - you get the idea.

In OBD II you can look at some things with a real time scanner - a good one would be long term fuel trim and short term fuel trim. Long term fuel trim is typically a few percent negative - say 3 to 5 percent. If it is more than 5% positive, you should suspect a problem. It caps at 20% I think - the cap could be higher. Bad O2 sensors, bad MAF, other issues can cause these problems.

Also, you need to check the operating temperature of the engine. If the engine does not fully warm up, then the computer will run the engine slightly rich cause it thinks the engine is cold, when in fact its ok. Bad thermostat, bad coolant temp sensor are possibilities.

Search the internet, read up on these things a little so you are educated, then go in to your service advisor and ask them to check these items and report the readings back to you.

If you want to really perk their ears up, tell them you want the mechanics notes on what he did to check your problem out. This is what is sent to Ford so Ford can decide whether to reimburse the dealership for the warranty work. Obviously, he should talk about the things you asked them to check in his notes.

Stay friendly, stay persistent, get educated (you should be able to talk to them at a little more on their level) you will probably get results. Expect 4 or 5 visits. I would ask to talk to the service manager if it is not fixed after the third visit. Service advisors often get rated based on how many of their customers end up going to the service manager - they are not anxoius to have you do that.

I get about 15 around town with my V8, unless the air is on, then 13. Just think, you coulda had a V8!
    yeah, put a CarChip on the OBD-II port and when you download it and look at the results with the software, look for crossing the line on acceleration and suchforth. if it's not you, it has to be the car, and oxygen sensors that don't cross back and forth would be interesting to find.
  • caileincailein Member Posts: 5
    Well the latest is that the battery was not at fault, as the Exp shut down again with the battery from the Windstar. Thanks to those that offered that suggestion.

I did replace the two O2 sensors upstream from the catalytic converter as the dealer said that they had generated a check engine light. The left side had the two white wires insulation removed from a heat shield that came away from the exhaust pipe and was resting on that spot of the wire. Can't say whether this was the cause of the shut down or not, will have to do some driving and see what happens.

I am still considering the subscription to alldatadiy.com. Anyone got some positive or negative feedback to share with me?
  • dmatt131dmatt131 Member Posts: 6
    I own a 2005 EB V8 with 1200 miles on it. Occasionally with the AC on it will make a sound similar to that of "your blowing across a glass bottle" for a very short period of time. When you turn the AC off it immediately stops. I cannot establish anything that will make it happen. Only when it desires to. A technician has ridden with me and duplicated the problem for probably 2-3 seconds. Not long enough for a real study. Turning off the AC blower doesn't stop the noise. Only if I turn off the entire AC system. The malfunction is so intermittent and last such a short duration makes this an aggravating problem. I realize that if a technician cannot duplicate the problem it is almost impossible to fix it. This is the only problem I have encountered so far. This vehicle is wonderful except for this anomalie. Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.
  • jaztjazt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 ford explorer XLT with 235,000 miles on it. I am now experiencing a vibration in the front with a whining sound in the front when I am excelerating. Any help would be appriciated?
  • ceads9ceads9 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 4x4 V-8 . The from end has a slight hum to it ,it sounds almost like tires that have cupped out but is not the tires. Its not real load but i can feel it in the steering when i move it ,to the left or right just a couple of inches. I've been told it could be the wheel bearing . I went to autozone and they said 200$ per side plus 150$ per side to put them on.. Does this should right? how could i check them myself ..

Thanks , chris
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    That's a faulty expansion valve and it's more common with Ford systems than you think lately. Don't know why. It will always be a very short lived noise, so it's hard to demonstrate unless you leave the Service Manager the car and tell him to drive it until he hears it. Maybe you can convince them to change out the valve on your word. Lots of time, the rear unit will do this. It's not as common for the front one to do it, but I have no doubt that's what it is. If your unit is operating properly, it won't hurt anything but your sanity to leave it alone if you want to. Depends on your nerves, I guess. If it starts to fail more regularly, you'll get intermittant cool, warm, cool, warm air from your registers.
  • dlynn2dlynn2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 ford explorer V6 4 wheel drive. Recently, it started staying first gear too long. If you let off the gas, then hit the gas again it will shift into 2nd...sometimes it skips 2nd and goes directly to 3rd. It then shifts fine throughout the rest of the gears. It doesnt slip or anything like that. Also, the OD light is flashing at me. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • fordexp1fordexp1 Member Posts: 14
    I am right there with you, unfortunately. I have a 2005 Explorer, V6 4X2 with about 9000 miles on it now and i get anywhere between 9.0 miles per gallon to 12 in the city and about 15-18 on the highway. I posted back a few months ago and told anyone who was thinking about purchasing one, to get the V8, you don't lose any miles per gallon and can have a little more fun.

Ford is useless in trying to find the problem. The dealership (not just one, two of them) tried to get me to pay to have the computer hooked up to scan for problems if they didnt find anything wrong with it. They know the mpg in the V6 suck, and aren't helpful at all in figuring out why!

At least you probably got the employee discount. I bought mine at the beginning of the year right before ford started offering them. If I had known about the piss poor mpg, I would have gone ahead with the expedition, it gets relatively the same as my V6 explorer.

If you find out the reasons behind the low mpgs. please let me know
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    My wife w/the V6 (it's an 2001) never got more than 14 mpg city. On the highway we got around 20 mpg as long as you don't exceed 75mph or so. She drives very conservatively. I can see if you "hot-dog it" how you mpg could go below 14mpg/city. Honestly, how is your driving style?

As far as paying to have hooked up to the computer, I guess this isn't covered by the warranty? If not, it may be worth an hours labor charge to find out if it's your driving style or the car.
  • dmatt131dmatt131 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks so very much for the information relating to my problem. I met with the service staff today and they were really interested in your reply. Hopefully, later this week they will replace the expansion valve on my Explorer. This was news to them. However, they were very receptive to anything that may correct the problem.
    So far a really good service advisor and manager. Many thanks again for the quick response.
    You're welcome. I hope I'm right.
    My father purchased a 2005 Expedition with the 5.4L V8, he is getting around 14-15 mpg in the city, so I asked if we could trade vehicles for a week to determine if it was my driving style that was causing my low mpg. Guess what happened, he still got around 14.8 mpg in the city with me driving the same ole way I normally do. While he was driving my explorer he told me he was getting around 12mpg. So that solved that assumption, which ford keeps telling me, its all about driving style, bs. There is some flaw in the V6, either its not a large enough engine to move this new explorer (with the third seat and overhead a/c, that rarely gets used)or there is something wrong with it, which ford hasn't stood behind. I've had it hooked to the computer and they say everything is in the parameters that ford gives them, if that helps.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "There is some flaw in the V6, either its not a large enough engine to move this new explorer (with the third seat and overhead a/c, that rarely gets used)"

Like I mentioned, I had an '01 equipped the same as yours. These are identical vehicles. I got 14/city-20 hwy. So it may be a flaw in your particular vehicle. But these motors generally get 1 to 2 mpg better than the V8. I traded mine in at 45K. I needed a tow vehicle. The motor was reliable up to that point. The rear-end and it's issues are a different story.......

You have to ask yourself if the approximately 2 mpg you are getting (less than everybody else) is worth the frustration you are experiencing. If the dealer said it's within specs, then you are at the end of your rope. You can't evoke the lemon law or bring a court case over this issue. These things are so judgemental. it's nearly impossible to solve by legal action.

My advice would be to accept the current situation and move on-or simply get rid of the vehicle. I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's reality.

Good luck to you!
  • biomanbioman Member Posts: 172
    Maybe I missed something along the way. Did anyone, dealer, other mechanic, etc, check out other systems that might be causing the poor mileage? Are the brakes hanging up on the rotors? Is the parking brake adjusted properly? Is the transmission slipping? What tires are on the truck? Sounds like you need a real good problem solver type mechanic rather than a code reader who works for Ford.
  • dlynn2dlynn2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 ford explorer V6 4 wheel drive. Recently, it started staying first gear too long. If you let off the gas, then hit the gas again it will shift into 2nd...sometimes it skips 2nd and goes directly to 3rd. It then shifts fine throughout the rest of the gears. It doesnt slip or anything like that. Also, the OD light is flashing at me. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • joningsjonings Member Posts: 6
    Well I thought my 94 Explorer XL was stuck in 4x4, b/c the indicator light was on, but after com,paring gas milage and noticing no change there must be something wrong with the indicator. How do I fix this? Also, i've noticed a vibration and excess road noise from the front end, any ideas? I'm confused, b/c it never sounded like that before i had the indicator light problem. I cant tell if its switching in and out of 4x4 and the light is just staying on, b/c theres only a click from the back end but not the series of thunks or rattles ive normally associated with the 4x4 driveline. Im thoroughly perplexed as ive only owned this vehicle for 5 months and havent offroaded it in difficult conditions. It has 216,000 Kilometres on it, which seems to be standard for a 94 in Saskatchewan. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :sick:
  • 00scrimp00scrimp Member Posts: 1
    My 95 Explorer will start fine after letting it sit all night, let it warm up then shut it off and almost impossible to restart. The engine turns over and smell a heavy gas smell but no crank. Pull the fuel pump relay and turn the engine over and after about 30 sec. the engine will start and you can put the relay back. I've replaced both the relay and fuel pump but hasn't fixed the problem. Engine will also shut off after driving a short distance. Any suggestions, (besides getting rid of it)?
    You should have got the V-8. It'll do just as well for the same reason you stated - it works less hard to move the car than the V-6. I've had both, and the V-8 is much more fun, and gets the same mileage, or very very close to it.
    my sentiments exactly. Next time I am shopping for an Explorer the V8 will definately be on the list.
  • ceads9ceads9 Member Posts: 3
    BUMP
  • jetranger430jetranger430 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all for the valuable information, I'll purchase a OBD II chip this weekend to eliminate the aggressive driving excuse from Ford. I wouldn't complain about 2 mpg's less than stated but at 9 mpg and current gas prices, it's worth the frustration. By the way, my wife drives the car and to say she babies it would be an understatement. I drive my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica between several states at 85 miles an hour and still average 18 mpg. My gut feeling is, too much vehicle for their 6 cylinder engine, there were no 8's available at the time of purchase, that was my first choice. On another note, my wife just informed me that the gas gauge has dropped below the empty mark (with a full tank of gas) and the check engine light has come on. Based on previous posts, I'm looking forward to transmission and various other problems on this car. After driving an Acura for the past 5 years without a single problem, I'm sad to say, this may be the last American car I purchase.
  • rennarenna Member Posts: 7
    i have a "02 mountaineer with v-8 and 56,000 miles. about 3 months ago i went to start it, and it would not start. it turned over , but acted like it wasn't getting gas. i stepped on the gas pedal and it started, but as soon as i took my foot off the gas it stalled. it did this until it warmed up, then it was fine. since then it has happened 3 other times. 99% of the time it starts fine. any idea's what could be causing this? :confuse:
    Put a fuel pressure tester on it and see what the fuel pressure is doing. I am thinking fuel pressure regulator, but always a good idea to test.

The pressure regulator has a vacuum line on it - pull it off and see if there is gas in it. If there is, its bad.
    If your engine starts when you put your foot on the gas, you are opening the throttle a little and giving it air. Normally, the idle air control valve controls how much air it gets when starting. If the valve sticks, your engine gets no air to start till you depress the pedal just a little. Also, you do not get a check engine light with this problem.

Dying when you take your foot off the gas is another clue that the idle air control valve is not working right. I would replace it - about 50 bucks at the parts store, held on by two small bolts, and sits right on top of your engine - very easy to do yourself.
  • kl46902kl46902 Member Posts: 1
    Had same problem and it turned out that the torque converter was bad. Ford dealership relaced and it was under warranty at the time.
  • caileincailein Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone had this problem related to their Generic Electronics Module (GEM) even after it was replaced under the recall?

I had the resister jumper installed as part of the recall but cannot tell if the GEM was. Does anyone know about the numbers on it that may help discern if the dealer skipped over this install or not? I still get the occasional inoperative rear wiper and the unexpected front wiper coming on.
    if you're going to be in the vicinity of the IAC valve with a wrench, do yourself a big favor and get a spraycan of throttle-body cleaner as well (I used a 3M product.) had to clean my throttle body last year, and there was a > LOT! < of sooty goo in the IAC valve body on top of the throttle body. cleaned that up, too, and some very rare intermittent starting issues blew totally away on my v8. NOTE that any downstream sensors in the intake manifold should be removed and protected from the spray just in case, and the car is not going to start for you for a couple minutes after cleaning out. just like the old days, when you cleaned carburetors on-car, or when you decarbon an engine, all that crud has to be cranked out of the engine before you can strike and hold a spark. and it WILL smoke badly and run rough for a minute or two. but well worth doing. just anticipate the usual hangover from too much solvent... ;)
  • cooter1cooter1 Member Posts: 1
    How do i change the heater core in a 1998 ford Explorer 4.0
  • jvigil88jvigil88 Member Posts: 21
    I purchased a 2002 Ford Explorer Limited a few months ago. When I step on the gas I hear a noise. I have taken it to the dealership 3 times. The first 2 times they said there was nothing wrong. This last time they said it was the torque converter. But they said that replacing it would not solve the problem. It was just a noise it made. Is this true? Why can't they replace it or fix the noise?

Janell
    Tell us what the noise sounds like and exactly when it makes the noise - any gear, or just one gear like 1st?

They probably can fix it, are you under warranty?
  • ebyersebyers Member Posts: 2
    How are you preparing for arbitration??? I have an appointment in DC for VA arbitration against Ford on the 7th for my Explorer. I really have had it with Ford. This is our 4th Ford in the past 9 years and everyone of them has offered us problems from Windstar to two Thunderbirds. We are DONE with Ford, they have stiffed us each and every time, but this time the lemon law may work in our favor. Does anyone know what the norm outcome of arbitration is?? I have 5 documented attempts from the dealership fixing the rear and 3 documented attempts at fixing the transmission. My case does meet lemon law requirements, but I just don't know about an agency who is paid by Ford to be impartial.
  • bisboybisboy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 ford explorer that runs great,but in the last 3 weeks after going to the sore when we come out it won't start. After letting it set for at least an hour it will start-up again.Can't figure it out. It currently is sitting in the parking lot again. Any ideas?
  • mountainlemonmountainlemon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 and have had problems with shifting gears almost from the moment I drove the vehicle off the dealership lot. The car first would jerk when I shifted from park to reverse or drive. I have returned the car for repairs three times because I can not shift from drive to reverse or park. I will have to take the vehicle in tomorrow for the same problem. Is anyone else having similar problems
  • davidb5davidb5 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 05 Mountaineer and the message center is difficult to read if not impossible sometime. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so what was the fix.
  • bartpsybartpsy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Ford Explorer that has recently developed a peculiar problem with water leakage. Just inside the rear hatch, the edge of the upholstery is completely soaked; however, it is not readily apparent where this water is coming from. The vehicle is starting to get pretty musty - has anyone else had this problem?
  • wconnorswconnors Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Ford Explorer XLS 2wd with 6,000 miles. I was driving 15 mph and went to stop and the front end had a clunk and the brake pedal shook. The dealer said the abs kicked in. It didn't and now the brake pedal goes way down with pressure. They mentioned the possibilty of the differential but parts would not be available for 6 weeks. They decided to tell me that nothing is wrong although one mechanic felt the clunk. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Is it safe to drive?
    Sounds like it could be a fuel pump problem. To check, recreate the problem by driving the vehicle, attach a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure when cranking.

However, putting a new fuel filter in it is a good idea. Idle air control valves are often the cause of starting problems, so you can remove yours and clean it and see if that improves the situation. But your symptoms seem more like a fuel pump issue.
    I think 9 mpg is too low for that engine. Somethings up. Let us know what you find out.

The engine may be small, but they compensate with 5 speed autos and gearing. 5 speed autos hardly existed 20 years ago.

Just for fun, stop the vehicle on a downhill, shift it into neutral and make sure it coasts normally - nothing drags or holds it back.
    There are numerous messages on this site and others about transmission shift problems.. Just read thru some of the older posts. Sometimes they replace solenoid packs, sometimes they do other things.

If you have been in three times with out getting it fixed, I would suggest taking your problem to the service manager, Ask him to take over getting the problem resolved. Firm but nice -

And do some research on the net about lemon laws in your state, there are some things you need to do to document your case if it comes to that.
    Pretty involved. The dashboard has to come out. Subscribe to alldatadiy.com or get a very good manual.

Also, research heater blend door problems on explorers - repair or reinforce the blend door while you have the dash apart. If it breaks later, you have another repair that is quite difficult, but easy while the dash is out.
    If you open the hatch, across the top of the body is a metal lip that the rubber seal slips onto. Pull the seal off if you can, examine the metal ridge for rust on both sides of the lip - water runs down into this area, then down the sides of the door. Any rust can be an entry point, unless it is very light.

Check the seal carefully for cracks - it is not hard to replace.
  • dieseljoe1dieseljoe1 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem, except I think it may be coming in the back drivers side window. I can actually see water come in when I get it washed.
  • dieseljoe1dieseljoe1 Member Posts: 2
    Just took my explorer in had the front end redone. New ball joints, new bearings, front and rear shocks replaced, 122k miles on the truck.

Got on the highway last night and when I got between 65 and 75 mph, experienced an incredible bouncing vibration coming from through the steering wheel, felt like the front right was bouncing. Any ideas what this could be?