Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Make Me a Better (Online) Car Salesman!

Comments

• Options
    biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    ...but thanks for the summary.

Yeah, a customer like that needs to be prodded to clarify what they want.

Thinking more about this: I think the ideal internet sales department would have a page on the dealer's web-site with at best, a picture of each new vehicle in stock, or at minimum, a verbal description, describing color, options, and MSRP. Make it easy for the customer to determine if you have what they're interested in.
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I just did an edit on the link should work now.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I've never heard of Car Max or Fitz Mall in these forums so I have no opinion. Personally, I think they would have a hard time making it here. Our inventory is on the internet both new and used but we sell so many cars it can't be totally accurate especially with the cars that are selling faster than we can bring them in. Civics are a good example of that.

I'm happy to answer e-mail inquiries. That's my job. I do get tired of "pen pals" that want to e-mail back and forth many times when a quick (gasp)phone call would be a lot more efficient.

Ordertaker vs. consultant? Well, I can be both. Sometimes I do feel like I shortchange my customers and yesterday was a good example.

On Friday, I got an e-mail from a Microsoft employee...we have a specail program for them.

She wanted to know if we had a 5 speed EX Civic Seadan in stock. We had **ONE** and it was a color that was acceptable. Mad an appointment for 10:00 yesterday.

They came in right on time, I showed them the car, they didn't want to drive it. I sat down, showed them the MSFT price and we were done. They already had a late model Accord, so I spent a total of about ten minutes going over some of the features and they were done!
  • Options
    You didn't shortchange the customer at all. You gave her EXACTLY what she wanted - a quick, painless transaction that got her the product she wanted.

Don't know if anyone here is familiar with the Myers-Briggs personality profile thing. They attempt to fit personalities into various boxes depending on characteristics such as introverted vs. extroverted, thinking vs. feeling, etc. This is just my guess, but I would guess that a lot of sales guys are extroverted - like dealing with people, get energy from meeting a lot of people in a day, and so forth. And I would further guess that a lot of internet shoppers are introverted - meeting a lot of people feels draining, making decisions on their own feels good and normal, and so on.

And further, I'd also guess that a lot of internet shoppers are "thinkers" more than "feelers." They want the facts, the information. They are not swayed by "new car smell," emotional appeals, etc. They want what they want.

Get those two personalities doing business together, and you're bound to have some misunderstandings and frustrations on both sides.
  • Options
    bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    Excellent point, Bianca.

More than any other post I have read, you have pointed out exactly why the new internet sales stuff is frustrating to both sales people and customers.

In my case, I think I appear to be an extrovert because I like to talk with people a lot, but when it comes to work or making a decision I am much more the introvert thinker.

Didn't you ask about Cliffy at Springfield Toyota in another post? I recall in one of his posts years ago he said that he was not just an order-taker at a kiosk, or something like that. I thought that was interesting, because all I want in a sales person is someone who will not lose my OTD offer as they are carrying it to the sales manager. In other words, an order taker.
  • Options
    Yes. A few of the sales guys have acted as if being an "order taker" is an insult, when to an introverted thinker, an order-taker is exactly what they want. Not a new best friend, not someone who will take forever to get to the point, but someone who will respond quickly and accurately, will offer the information requested, and get to the bottom line, with the desired product, as quickly as possible.

The sales people who think that means they are "not giving their best" in those situations, I would guess, are highly into the extroverted scale and don't feel satisfied unless there's been a lot of back and forth discussion, exploration of possible options, etc. And that's the kind of stuff that drives the introverts totally nuts.
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    The so called "Internet Model" of selling is just a fantasy. PC's are as common as the VCR now and every Tom, Dick, and Harry, and don't forget Jane can use it. Every dealerships internet department is going to be run the way the GM of the store wants it run. When I was running ours my GM gave me the authority to work my own deals. He basically told me and I quote "I'm giving you the same authority that the GSM has. Whatever you have to do to make a deal go ahead and do it." Every internet customer is different. Some are just looking for information, some are ready to buy and are looking for price and convenience, some are just looking for the rock bottom price without regard to after the sale service or convenience, some want additional perks such as free oil changes, state inspections, shuttle service, etc. And some just want to avoid the whole "dealership" experience and get it over with. So how do you tailor your internet department to be all things to everyone? You don't. You have to "feel" if you will what type of prospect you are going to be dealing with and go from there. I had no problem quoting firm prices on a particular vehicle when a customer provided all the options they wanted. Quoting a price on a Tacoma which is available in x different configurations is pointless. Some prospects have no clue what they want and some do. The next GM that replaced the former was the complete opposite. This guy thought he knew it all and took complete control of the operation. He would only let me and my staff quote prices after we checked with the new car manager who was very inexperienced and the whole thing began to fall apart so I left. I'm back on the sales floor and I prefer the face to face contact that was not present in the internet. It's very difficult to see "faces and expressions" across a computer terminal on a printed page. My .02
    :shades:
    Mackabee

p.s. Isell, Fitzmall is a mega store up in northern VA that has all their inventory listed online with MSRP, selling price and Invoice listed. This is the "order taker" model. CarMax is pretty much the same except they do mostly used cars although they do own some new car franchises in some states.
  • Options
    socala4socala4 Member Posts: 2,427
    A few of the sales guys have acted as if being an "order taker" is an insult, when to an introverted thinker, an order-taker is exactly what they want. Not a new best friend, not someone who will take forever to get to the point, but someone who will respond quickly and accurately, will offer the information requested, and get to the bottom line, with the desired product, as quickly as possible.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. And decades of sales training make this tough for them to swallow.

I don't think that you can underestimate the degree to which many of them loathe this approach because they don't want to leave money on the table. The "relationship" is all about earning more money per transaction, when the bigger supermarket-type dealerships seemed to have learned that selling high volumes at lower margins can be a more efficient business model. If they all focused on inventory turn (maximizing the revenue that comes from a given parking space on the lot by rotating product through that space), the sales approach would be more direct and less muddy than it is today.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Yes, that was an excellent post.

It's hard sometimes to realize we don't all think alike and I think we have a tendency to force our style of doing business on others.

I've taken the various personality tests and I'm definatly a Type A. I do try to size up my customers and adapt to their styles. It's hard to do this without at least telephone contact.

I can be as cold as ice too but that's not me.
  • Options
    drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    I am simply DrFill from now on, not callmedrfill.

I think biancar and mackabee are onto something! :)

DrFill
  • Options
    aclaverieaclaverie Member Posts: 8
    I've been in internet auto sales for three months and I love it.

I would love to hear from customers in the San Jose-area regarding how I could do my job better.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • Options
    "bigger supermarket-type dealerships seemed to have learned that selling high volumes at lower margins can be a more efficient business model"

This is fine and dandy for the "WalMart/BestBuy" type of store where the hired help changes daily. These types of establishments eat their own at a high rate and the only ones making money are the owners and shareholders and the managers, forget about the salespeople they are expendable.
    Mackabee
  • Options
    This is fine and dandy for the "WalMart/BestBuy" type of store where the hired help changes daily. These types of establishments eat their own at a high rate and the only ones making money are the owners and shareholders and the managers, forget about the salespeople they are expendable.

But turnover is high on car lots everywhere, few salesguys have a very long tenure on any lot.

In any case, if the most profitable business model also happens to be better for the consumer, then I'd tip my hat to that model. The customer is the one paying the bills and creating the profits.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    With one minor exception, Laurel Toyota is a Carmax store and in addition to the well-known used car program they have, they are also the 2nd largest New Car Toyota store in the US behind Longo. Monthly they sell about 700 - 1000 new cars nearly all on the Internet at less than invoice.. often less than invoice minus rebate minus holdback.
  • Options
    I'd better check them out to go test-drive a Solara convertible! :)

OK, I did just go and check them out. That's a good site! (Google: Laurel Toyota Carmax and you'll find it.) Good example of what an internet site should be: has pictures, descriptions, location of used cars and whether they are "transportable" or not, at what fee. Good way to do business.
  • Options
    Why don't you tell us about your first couple of months in the business? Did you sell a lot of cars? What did you expect? How did this compare with what you actually experienced? How do you price your deals? How much influence does the slae manager have over your pricing/negotitaing?

DrFill
  • Options
    I'm having a great time, more fun than I expected.

I have rediscovered my youthful love of cars.

Also, I get a buzz when the truck arrives with new models, I love watching someone drive off in their first car, or their first new car. I enjoy driving the new cars to get them gassed up.

It should be fun to buy a car and it should be fun to sell a car. And for the most part, it has been. And I like the people I work with, which makes it even nicer.

RE: Pricing/Sales Managers
    Our prices are set by the demographics of the San Jose area, our inventory, the time of the month and demand for particular models. It's not a simple formula but it's logical and all of my customers know how the process works, as well, or better than I do.
  • Options
    What is your internet dept. percentage of the dealership's overall sales?

An average sales rep sells 10-12 a month.

Do the sales manager factor into the negotiations at all?

DrFill
  • Options
    I doubt that very much. Internet sales are very hard to quantify. The jury is still out on what constitutes an internet sale and you should know that by now Spyder. And I believe it's Darcars that's right behind Longo Toyota, not Laurel.
    Mackabee
  • Options
    That's it? That's all you have to say? I expected better from you.
    :confuse:
    Mackabee
  • Options
    That's all you have to say?

Said most of it already, but it's a fact of life that a business ultimately has to be profitable, which in turn means that it has to meet customer needs in a way that can create a profit for the dealer. (And no, when buying a car, I'll let the dealer figure out what price he needs to earn a profit; my job is to pay as little as I can.)

The sales guy is only useful to the extent that he can serve this need for profit, which can come from serving the customer.

As long as consumers make a bit of effort to become informed, the old deception/intimidation model should lose effectiveness over time because it was rooted in what economists call "imperfect information" -- basically, the seller almost always knew a whole lot more than the buyer, and so could get away with a lot. But with websites like this and other resources, the playing field is becoming more level and the old tricks will become less effective. Rather than get upset with me for being an informed consumer, they should calm down and learn how to profit from all of us.
  • Options
    You make a good point. The number of informed consumers is a lot less then you would be led to believe by the internet. At least in my neck of the woods. I don't shy away from the informed consumer, on the contrary I welcome them with open arms as it makes my job a lot easier, takes less time, and lets me move on to the next customer quicker. Sleepytime.
    Mackabee
  • Options
    rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ... **Some are just looking for information, some are ready to buy and are looking for price and convenience, some are just looking for the rock bottom price without regard to after the sale service or convenience, some want additional perks such as free oil changes, state inspections, shuttle service, etc. And some just want to avoid the whole "dealership" experience and get it over with. So how do you tailor your internet department to be all things to everyone? You don't. You have to "feel" if you will what type of prospect you are going to be dealing with and go from there.**
    ==================================

Bingo.! ....

Most buyers aren't as savvy as the as the folks that actually *spend time* and read Edmunds .. most get their information "as they see it" and then go to the dealer or go internet ....

The biggest problem dealers have (and their internet people) .... most potential buyers are usually shopping a $16,000 Hyundai with a $28,000 Ford SUV or a $24,000 VW product (whatever) .... what the dealers have to contend with is the payoff and the negative equity from the last purchase, or even the purchase before that - usually, that information comes late into the deal and that's what gets the ball rolling for a bad experience ....... most people are buying payments, not vehicles .. and that's of the buyers design, not the dealers.

Terry.
  • Options
    The number of informed consumers is a lot less then you would be led to believe by the internet.

I suspect that more consumers would be better off by learning more about the buying process, but they certainly know more than they used to. When I bought my first car in the pre-internet era, few people knew what the new car version of the KBB was, or that they could get it at their public library. Now, many people know about sites like this, and I saw a factoid (may be true or not) that about two-thirds of car shoppers look at invoice prices before shopping, so at least they know about using invoice as a starting point.

I don't shy away from the informed consumer, on the contrary I welcome them with open arms as it makes my job a lot easier, takes less time, and lets me move on to the next customer quicker.

That's smart, I think. If you can get a low-margin deal and close it quickly and easily, you can still make more money in the long run. Strong volumes can make up for lower margins if the volume is high enough.
  • Options
    exb0exb0 Member Posts: 539
    And I believe it's Darcars that's right behind Longo Toyota, not Laurel.

Which Darcars? They have three different stores in MD. One in Silver Spring, one in Rockville (355 Toyota) and one in Fredrick.
  • Options
    most people are buying payments, not vehicles .. and that's of the buyers design, not the dealers.

That is true, and that's a sad thing. Not the dealers' fault if people are so foolish with their cash that they buy new cars before the old one is paid off, get in over their heads with payments, and other follies.

Personally, I believe it's best to pay myself first and save up in advance. Not everyone can do that, but I find it works well for me and saves a lot of money in the long run.
  • Options
    Not the dealers' fault if people are so foolish with their cash that they buy new cars before the old one is paid off, get in over their heads with payments, and other follies.

The payment buyer was invented by Henry Ford, who found that it was a successful way to sell a lot more cars.

While I agree that it is foolish for consumers to fall into the payment buyer trap, let's also understand that dealers attempt to turn consumers into payment buyers whenever possible. Not only do they want the commission from the financing fees, but they also would prefer buyers to focus on payment while giving less thought about more relevant factors, such as purchase price. That's one major reason for using the four-box grid that invariably comes out during negotiations.
  • Options
    ...but it works both ways. I've seen people on this forum who say things like "I want to buy a new car. I have a 2004 Whateveritis but love the new 2006 Brandspankin'new mobile. I still owe $20-gazillion..."

That just makes NO sense to me. 'course I'm one of the logical types (most of the time!)

Being able to buy a car with payments spread out over a few years can be a life-saver and the only possible way to buy a car when a person is young and starting out in life, but after a certain point, it's a good idea for the common sense side of the brain to kick in.

(Note: I may have to eat my own words because I'm really falling in lust with the new Volvo C70, a totally unnecessary but would be fun purchase, and I don't have $45,000 dedicated to a car purchase yet - but workin' on it right now!)
  • Options
    Being able to buy a car with payments spread out over a few years can be a life-saver and the only possible way to buy a car when a person is young and starting out in life, but after a certain point, it's a good idea for the common sense side of the brain to kick in.

I agree, car loans are often a bad idea, and leases are often even worse. I don't personally borrow the funds unless the loan terms are so good that it makes more sense than coming out of pocket. Other than the risk that comes from the large amount of cash that you are literally parking into a cash purchase, I don't see much reason why people should be using debt to buy a new car, when they should be using cash to buy a cheaper (and probably used) one.

In retrospect, I'm glad that my first car was a total beater, as it taught me a lot about car ownership and has saved me considerable money in maintenance and repairs ever since.
  • Options
    ...was a used Pinto. Taught me to be more careful about buying used cars! ;)
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    Taught me to be more careful about buying used cars!

Be very careful now as Katrina damaged cars are starting to hit the used cars lots. :sick:

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    ...about that. People in the southeastern part of the U.S. especially need to be very, very careful right now.

For myself, I've long since given up buying used cars.
  • Options
    People in the southeastern part of the U.S. especially need to be very, very careful right now.

Not just in the Southeast, unfortunately. Katrina cars are ending up throughout the United States, sometimes after elaborate efforts to "wash" the title.

A worthwhile read from Car & Driver: "A Flood of Fraud" (link repaired)
  • Options
    The link doesn't work, could you try again?

• Options
    jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    Not just in the Southeast, unfortunately. Katrina cars are ending up throughout the United States, sometimes after elaborate efforts to "wash" the title.

A natural disaster in Louisiana, arguably one of the more corrupt state governments and where the state government us trying to deal with a disaster ... did you **REALLY** expect that all flood damaged vehicles were going to be crushed as promised??

This underscores the need of all buyers to know who they are buying from.
  • Options
    A natural disaster in Louisiana, arguably one of the more corrupt state governments and where the state government us trying to deal with a disaster ... did you **REALLY** expect that all flood damaged vehicles were going to be crushed as promised??

Major floods usually cause this sort of thing to happen, because flooded cars can be seriously damaged yet cleaned up enough to look decent on a sales lot. As I watched the news of the storm, one of the first things that came to my mind was how badly this would impact the used car market.
  • Options
    golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    Is the Mistsubishi no money down, no payments for one year. Which then results in someone buying more car than they should and they are shocked when 2-4 years later they are so far upside down in the thing.

I used to blame consumers for thier debt problems, but I believe lendors are to fault for extending credit were it shouldn't have been in the first place...they deserve the write-offs from all the BKs people go into.

I agree why invest in a depreciating asset? But then, if you purchase a reliable vehicle that you can payoff in 3-4 years and will drive for 5-6years and it can hold its value (aka- Honda) it does make sense.

As far as leasing, I find it only makes sense for "business" and for the guy who is just going to get a new car every 2-3 years, at least you avoid be upside down.

just my thoughts fwiw
  • Options
    I used to blame consumers for thier debt problems, but I believe lendors are to fault for extending credit were it shouldn't have been in the first place...

Thats kind of like blaming the river when someone drowns in it. Granted some places give out credit a little to freely, but its still the consumer who over extends themselves.

But then, if you purchase a reliable vehicle that you can payoff in 3-4 years and will drive for 5-6years and it can hold its value (aka- Honda) it does make sense.

It does make sense to take a loan on a vehicle is 1.) the payments are manageable and 2.) you always have a positive equity in the property (or at the very least minimized any negative equity).

As far as leasing,

While I agree I would also add that it makes sense if you also put a minimal amount of miles on a car. If you put a lot of miles on a car leasing is likely not the way to go.

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    This isn't general chat, so let's keep the discussion focused on better online car sales. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Average sales:

We are required to sell at least 16 units a month to keep our chair at the dealership.

The sales manager, consultant and customer all share equal parts in the negotiations, (as far as I've seen.)
  • Options
    rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ... **People in the southeastern part of the U.S. especially need to be very, very careful right now ...**

Southeast ... right now..??

I hate to tell ya this .. but they've been going thru the St Louis, Michigan, Mass, Virginia, Carolina auctions for over 4 months .... a better question would be "what states haven't they been in" ..l.o.l...

Terry :surprise:
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    Ebay is chock full of those floodmobiles too, for sure.

I am pretty insistent on finding a local car when I look.

I don't know if this is odd or not, but when I bought the C43 there was no sales manager involved that I saw. I only talked with the salesman. There wasn't a lot of negotiating involved (I only knocked off about a grand - which was about 1500 under TMV) so that might be it. When I bought my W126 there were a couple others involved aside from the salesman, as I lowballed them pretty heavily.
  • Options
    I got haned two new internet leads this afternoon.

I shouldn't even add these to my list here cause I am about 99% sure how both will turn out.

They are both for used lexus on our lot but one of them we have already sold.

The guy that wants to buy the car we already have sold has a Jag for trade. What kind of Jag I don't know cause he did not tell me but he wants KBB private party retail and if we give him that he will "do the trade" for our car today. Couple of problems with this in that first of all I don't even know what year the jag is I just know the mileage. No, way I could give him KBB private party value cause franky KBB values are normaly rather inflated to begin with and they don't adjust the numbers fast enough to take into account a RWD sedan/sport sedan/sports car in the winter.

Assuming I could give him the full retail for his trade just by reading in between the lines he thinks he can just swap his jag for our lexus and call it even but there is no way his jag is worth what our lexus is. No jag with 33k miles is worth what a Lexus GX470 with 33k miles.

Ok so second lead.

This one is on a RX300. Gives me enough relevant email and says he would prefer to be contacted over email. No, problem except our computers were down untill just a little while ago. The crashed just after this was printed. Our pre-owned manager called and left a message at his house letting the guy know that we got his request but our computers are down so he is just calling to let him know we will email when they come back online.

The only other info he gives me is this, "What is the lowest price you will take for this vehicle." Well it is a used car and we do not quote pricing on used cars over the net or phone since every used car is unique. If someone had come in before hand and then we needed to finish negotiations over the phone that would be one thing but I am not going to do that blind over the net on a used car.

So lets see what happens I emailed them about 30 minutes ago and so far no response.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    "The only other info he gives me is this, "What is the lowest price you will take for this vehicle." Well it is a used car and we do not quote pricing on used cars over the net or phone since every used car is unique."

Every used car is unique, but he isn't asking about any used car... He is asking about the very one that you have on your lot.. Why can't you give him a price? He can't shop your price, because no one else has the same used car that you have... so, what is the problem?

If you want that guy to come in, then the first response he gets should be an answer to his question.. It doesn't even have to be your bottom dollar.. you can leave room to move if you want.. But, this guy wants a quote..

I think most car sellers try to "manage" the process a little too much... Do what makes the customer happy, and makes him comfortable.. and you'll have a lot more "potential" customers.. And.. that has nothing to do with the price.. Even with an internet customer, you likely aren't going to sell him a car, unless he shows up at your dealership.. Most dealers seem to think that giving out as little info as possible will force the customer to come in, but it does exactly the opposite. Be completely upfront and try to answer the customer's specific question, and possibly he'll feel comfortable enough to come in... because he's been treated honestly and upfront.

Most customers want to do business with dealers like that.. and might even pay a little more, if they feel they are being treated well.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    hal517hal517 Member Posts: 8
    GM wise I can vouch for salesman suck for getting back with people + there website inventory doesn’t match inventory’s @ dealers.

We were not price shopping as GMS is same.

#1-Example I emailed about a vibe 1 day later got a response car was sold a month ago.

#2-Example its been 2 months and still haven’t heard back from a dealer I emailed about a quote on the exact car we wanted. " other than they would get with me shortly”. In that case I assumed vehicle was sold so continued shopping else ware.

#3- Example drove 2 hrs "after confirming on phone car was there" arrived at dealer right on time when I said I would. Dealer was working a deal on it with another customer :( , we test drove a different color and left without getting in a bidding war. Headed back north towards home stopped by dealer in example #1 to see the color we wanted even though we were aware he didn’t have the correct options we wanted, salesman did a dealer search and said example # 2 Vibe existed @ the other dealer.

Salesman offered to do a dealer trade I said good luck they don’t have it or didn’t want to sell it to me. , if they didn’t have go ahead and order from California.

She is driving the one from example #2 from dealer #1
  • Options
    I think most car sellers try to "manage" the process a little too much... Do what makes the customer happy, and makes him comfortable.. and you'll have a lot more "potential" customers..

Except for the polite use of the term "little", this is exactly correct.

This is simply applying basic business principles in order to make it easier for the customer to do business with you, and to want to do business with you. If you want to turn it into an obstacle course or gauntlet, don't be surprised when the customer takes control and goes elsewhere.

The old control-and-close system just isn't going to work well with the internet model if the internet model is to be something other than an electronic method of hassling consumers into "coming on down", even though they clearly don't want to. If you want to act like a regular sales guy, then why not just dump the internet pretense and go back to the regular in-person showroom method where these tactics are still the norm?
  • Options
    If I could quote a price on the car I would but I cannot it is company policy no price quotes on used cars period unless the person has come in before.

I know that there are secret shoppers emailing us to check and see how we are doing in responding to email inquiries. There is no way any of the sales staff is going to quote a price on a used car on a blind internet lead since it very well could be going back to one of those secret shoppers.
  • Options
    Rover, the way I would handle the first lead would be like this:
    Sir, thank you for your interest in our pre-owned Lexus GX470 vehicles. You've made an excellent choice. Stock number xxx has been sold but I do have the other one available and you are welcome to stop by at your convenience for a test drive or I can bring the vehicle out to your place of business or home. In regards to your trade, I do need more information than just brand and mileage as there are several models offered by Jaguar. Our pre-owned manager will be more than happy to provide you with a ballpark figure on it if you will provide me with the vehicle id number or VIN, this is a 17 alphanumeric combination and it's found on the driver's side of the windshield or inside the door jamb and also on your registration. When will be a good time to schedule a test drive and appraisal of your vehicle?

The second one I would handle this way:
    I would not have called and told him about the computer crash. Kind of plants a bad seed in his mind about the outfit you're running. He/she does not need to know this. Respond on the same lines as the first lead:

Ryan, thank you for your interest in our Lexus RX300. Excellent choice! All our vehicles are value priced as they go through an extensive 160 point quality check before they are offered to the public. We are currently offering this vehicle at $33,999.00 plus ttl and it includes the following: (list any perks you offer customers)I would like to extend you an invitation for a no obligation test drive to decide if this is the vehicle for you.
    Sincerely,
    B Rover
    Certified Internet sales consultant

Rover, try something like this with your customers and see how many bees you attract with honey.
    Mackabee
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    it is company policy no price quotes on used cars period unless the person has come in before.

Then why are you bothering with the internet? :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Would you give a quote on a new car? If yes then I cannot see a rational reason why you can't on a used car. Is this something from the dealership itself? or imposed by the manufacturer or by some sort of wacky law?

To me it would seem the height of customer service to answer direct questions with direct answers

This discussion has been closed.