Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Make Me a Better (Online) Car Salesman!

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's keep this from being a PERSONAL thing please.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " How do you get that Socal despises the whole process? He doesn't. He's said so many times. He claims to enjoy it "

Where did I say he despises the whole process? You misunderstood. I did say it's evident he despises seeing the mis-informed prayed upon. Maybe I'm wrong on that, maybe not, oh well. But I do agree the rest of your statements.

Why else would those of us without much of a social life be spending Friday evening reading auto msg boards.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I probably will have that bowl of soup.

Your all knowing postings are making me weary, that's all.

And, don't put words in my mouth...please. I never said ALL online leads are flaky. A lot are however. Obviously I must think it's worth it overall or I wouldn't be in this department.

And, yeah, I have learned a few things here.
  • Options
    golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    Before I pull the trigger on the Honda I went out to test drive a few vehicles again just to make sure. My first stop was at Carmax, not to buy but to get my current vehicle appraised.

Out here, you get a decent appraisal from them (and it was actually on Terry's High end - got to update him on the good news) and the quote is good for 7 days/300 miles and I can do me, squuuuuze me while I whip this out spiel at the dealership when they hit me with the low first offer.

ANYWAY- MY point (finally) while I am waiting for them to value my car, met a nice give - semi-retired carmax employee we took a walk to see what he had on the lot to do some test drives while we wait- place was a ghost town he was happy to go out.

So, I am eyeballing the various GM Fords..and then see a 2003 Range Rover HSE (34k miles - no haggle price 43,499) I said that is what I want to get in. *drool*

AFter I get over this is a car an not a cockpit my first impression was man- I feel like I am in a boat...then I hit the accelerator *swoooon* what a dream. What a nice friggen car to drive. So fortunately there is no 3rd row so I am not sitting her crunching numbers trying to justify a bigger car payment. -

Sorry for the OT excited post..just wanted to say WOW to Rover.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    As you can see from my profile I play poker in tournaments.. some big ones. For a lot of people... ( for example the person that created MSWord ) dropping $10000 on a buy-in on a major tournament is akin to most of us buying a $100 dinner for the wife/GF/SO.

In some circles as many here know money has much less meaning other than it's a tool to be used. It's why Lexus' and MB's and Lotus' sell. It's why others bid upwards of half a million on a 35 y.o. vehicle.

Putting a negative twist on a person's buying rationale is not right. Just as it's our right to negotiate it's someone else's right to overpay if they wish.

It's when price and value perceived come into balance that a transaction is made. Everyone in the business has had buyers like this although not too often. :(
  • Options
    what 1 experience turned your attitude towards car dealers into this grumbling no positive thoughts type of person?

Sorry I don't see this at all. From a seller's side there is nothing socala4 has said that was negative or actually untrue.

I had a boss when I first started in business who questioned everything.. every single little nit picking detail.. not accusingly just questioned it. It made me think things through more completely and always made me be prepared ( he was in Army Intelligence in Laos in the 60's so he knew how to ask questions).

A lot of what has been posted by socala has not been accusatory as much as prodding. Why is this ( internet buying ) preferable? Why not negotiate? How do you know you can't get a better deal by going in person? Etc.

A lot of posters seem to prefer the concept of the internet method because it helps in buying 'off-the-shelf', which is the preferred way of acquiring things in our NA-Euro way of doing business. But just what if....( famous auto seller's phrase ;) ) this way is too stilted too cumbersome and too cold.

What I do see in the subject posts is just another view that one size doesnt fit all.
  • Options
    I live up the road from you in KDH..
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'm not seeing much that is related to the topic for quite a while now, so let's take a rest for a bit.

Maybe you'll find something that fits your interests in another discussion here in Smart Shopper, do have a look. Also, feel free to stop by the Suggest a topic of discussion topic if you have a specific subject in mind we might all enjoy.

We've had a lot of great suggestions for the person who asked the initial question and a lot of thoughtful debate over the issues raised. But lately we're going off in every direction but the topical one, so we'll give it a rest here for now.

Meanwhile, has everyone checked out Carspace? Drive on over and look up all your friends, make new ones, post pics, see what others have posted -- it's a free-wheelin' blast!! :P
This discussion has been closed.