Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• draftintraftondraftintrafton Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2008 Black Prius, Package #5 + floor mats for $23,988. Made sure that the price was set through email and telephone calls before I stepped onto the lot. The buying experience was a breeze.
  • dgeblerdgebler Member Posts: 19
    That's $300 under Dealer Invoice which shows that there's always room. This amount is what Consumer Reports lists as the "Bottom-Line" price. Nice job!
  • draftintraftondraftintrafton Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I feel lucky. The dealer said that they were selling low end package #2 Prius'es like crazy (to companies wanting fleet cars) and were anxious to unload their package #5 & #6 cars in order to make room or get Toyota to send more package #2's. I shopped their $23,988 quote to 3 other dealers and the closest anyone else would get was $24,488. The others wouldn't go below $25,000.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I have only seen this done once on a vehicle, not a prius, and it took the installer 3 attempts to get the wiring right to where fuses weren't popping.

Mark
  • usviusvi Member Posts: 1
    You should be able to get a refund of your $2,700 warranty ripoff and purchase the same thing from another dealer for around $990 (Neil Hull at www.crownautomotive.com maybe) according to this blog about the extended warranty---check it out:
    http://www.intuitive.com/blog/toyota_prius_insider_tip_saving_money_on_your_exte- nded_warranty.html
    Good Luck
  • wvmountaineerwvmountaineer Member Posts: 1
    FYI:
    On march 1st in Ohio, I bought a 2008 new Prius with Package 2, floor mats + full tank of gas NOT INCLUDING SALES TAX for:

vehicle 21660
    doc fee 250
    title 15
    temp tag 10.50

TOTAL $21935.50

THe car has HG package 2, HZ (cruise, etc) and Cf (carpeted mats and trunk mat.)
    Also a full tank of gas.

I emailed about 50 dealers asked for itemized firm and final offer, giving only my email address - did not give real address or phone number on toyota contact dealer page.

About 30% said come in and talk and did not respond with quote.I sent them a polite rejection email that their quote was not competitive with the lowest quote.
    There was a range of over $2000 in the quotes I received from dealers.

Narrowed it down quickly to 3 dealers.

Spent about 4 hours total on the whole process Very pleasant experience.
  • cleblanccleblanc Member Posts: 45
    This is the price I am looking to pay. I want either a package 5 for 24000 or a package 6 for 25000. I am in the CT area. So far nobody is coming close. Any recommendations on CT dealers? I can even go to MA or NY. I also email the dealers before going to the lot.
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    How many Prii's on the lots will dictate your buying edge. (Or it should) It does in Indiana. Also remember ....as the price of gas goes up = price of hybrids holds more toward retail. It's $3.40 here in NW Indiana.
  • bbb99bbb99 Member Posts: 58
    I'm currently looking at two used Prius's.

One is a 2005 with 63k going for a little under 17k.

The other is a 2006 with 58k going right at 17k, but I think I can get it lower.

I need to figure out the packages on each. Thoughts?
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    Thoughts?

I would just spend another $5 or $6 g's and buy a new one.
  • sleong23sleong23 Member Posts: 4
    I brought Service Contract "Toyota Extracare Platinum" for $1422.00 and Auto Care for $1295.00. Total is $2717.00 Is that worth for two service contract?
  • sleong23sleong23 Member Posts: 4
    I brought Service Contract "Toyota Extracare Platinum" for $1422.00 - 7 years - 75,000 and Auto Care for $1295.00 - 4 years 55K. Total is $2717.00 Is that worth for two service contract?
    so you are saying i can get a new prius for 22k?
    so you are saying i can get a new prius for 22k?

Ya I am. Just read the previous page where a guy says he paid $21,935 for a package 2 model. Above that someone paid $23,800, or so, for a package 5 or 6. It seems MUCH smarter to pull a few more bucks together and buy a brand new car rather than buying someone else's problems. Just my two cents.
  • tnel332tnel332 Member Posts: 23
    I got a quote from a major dealer in NJ who said that they would give me a package 3 for $350 over cost. I thought that the price was quoted to me was a bit more than 350 over cost. So I checked Edmunds and it says the invoice for a #3 is 23250. That means that 350 over cost would be 23600.00. The quote that I got was $24176 at 350 over invoice. Thats a hell of a bump from 23600. Am I missing something here or don't they believe that we would have checked the price already?
    Suggestions. Thanks,
    Tom
    I'm in the same situation. I had a guy quote me $100 over invoice and then warned me that their invoice price is not the same as KBB's or any other site. Toyota's actual invoice price is padded with all kinds of miscellaneous advertising fees, etc that who knows if the dealer actually pays them or not. So when a dealer quotes x dollars over invoice, be sure you know whose invoice they are talking about. To me it's a marketing gimmick to quote x dollars over invoice and then quote a padded price.
    Don't be fooled. Their "cost" is LESS than invoice. I guarantee it. Don't ever fall for that invoice crap. Negotiate below invoice not on top of it. I have bought several cars below invoice in recent years. I believe the invoice "price" is a total fictional number they have on paper so they can show you "what they paid for it." The way to know is to offer $1,500 below invoice, give them your phone number, leave and see if they call you back. I bet they do!
  • lisajanaelisajanae Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to buy a 2008 Prius, Package #5 and I want to pay no more than $400/month with $5,000 down. I've talked to a couple dealerships and they are giving me 6.9% APR (and I have excellent credit) and aren't budging at all on the price of the car. Is this normal? I'm in the southern California area. Any suggestions for how I can get a better deal? Thanks!
  • stormy111stormy111 Member Posts: 16
    I am presently looking for a Prius Touring with Package #6 in central CT. Would you know what the present money factor and residual are for 2 and 3 yr. leases? I would like less $1000 cap cost reduction and no extra miles.

Thank you.
  • vrkpvrkp Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am looking to buy a prius in central or north NJ...can somebody reply with a recent price they paid and dealership name. Thx in advance.
    I got an 04 Prius in TX with 80K on it for a little under $15K out the door. I'm happy, it has all 6 airbags, 6cd changer, and fog lights. I can't figure out what package it is though.
  • c_rexc_rex Member Posts: 14
    Just walked out of a dealership that wouldn't budge on an '08 Prius Ltd, Pkg 6.
    "Invoice": $20747
    "Pkg 6: 3758
    "Dest Chg: 660
    ""TDA": 498
    "Gas: 10 (
    ""Dealer Holdback" 467
    "Whsl Financial
    Reserve (?) 233
    "Costco discount -750
    "Total of above $27455

No mention of doc fees or TTL so those would surely come afterward. I'm not keen on the deal but its for my wife who really deserves a new car. Got input? TIA
  • tphsseniortphssenior Member Posts: 11
    Where are you located? I was just quoted $ 650 over invoice on the Costco program for a Pkg 6. I don't know what you mean by "Ltd", but if you mean touring the Costco quote was $1,000 over invoice. I am in So. Calif.
  • gurplegurple Member Posts: 8
    I'm in southern Cal, no package 3's or 4's are available in this area, anyone know where (in California) I have to go to get one?
  • scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    I recall these fees also...

Just walked out of a dealership that wouldn't budge on an '08 Prius Ltd, Pkg 6.

"Invoice": $20747
    "Pkg 6: 3758
    "Dest Chg: 660
    "TDA": 498
    "Gas: 10 (
    ""Dealer Holdback" 467
    "Whsl Financial
    Reserve (?) 233
    "Costco discount -750
    "Total of above $27455

- the Wholesale Fin Reserve - total profit! remove this. Costco discount.. did you call Costco and GET THEIR PRICE? This is what you need to do first.
    Dealer holdback, total profit.. Check closer before buying. Oh, I bought mine in Fremont CA - by San Jose.

sc
  • dmuddmud Member Posts: 2
    I find it complicated to discuss invoice, sticker, conveyance fee, etc. Always keep it simple. I negotiate based on the "out the door" price (OTD), ask "what will I need to write on the check?". Meet a salesman from multiple dealerships, then negotiate by phone.

I just bought an 08 Prius pkg6 w/tint & all weather mats, transfer of my existing plates, $26,500 OTD. Edmunds "what others are paying" indicated $26,900, but that doesn;t include tinting,mats,other fees - I think. I negotiated by phone with 5 dealers in the CT/MA area, 2 dropped out early after giving me unreasonable offers (I think they were reluctant to do phone bidding. I visited 3 other dealers to make contact, then negotiated by phone. The other two offers came in at $26,700 and $26,900. Hope this helps.
  • dmuddmud Member Posts: 2
    best i could do was $26500 out the door in CT/MA, good lck
    I went in to Maita on Saturday and the sales guy was real nice. He was VERY quick to offer MSRP as the out the door price. In Cali that's almost 10% off between tax and license. 10% is about where invoice is. My point is they will obviously go lower than that since he offered that without me even pushing on price. Also, the salesguy told me there are no package 3 or 4's in Cali if I remember correctly.
  • whiterice42019whiterice42019 Member Posts: 9
    this is the email i got from a dealer here in CT. How much can I expect to knock off?

I have a black one here equipped as follows: FE-50 State Emissions, HZ-Cruise Control, HI-Package #3, and Z1-Floor Mats with Cargo Net and 1st Aid Kit. The MSRP is $25,519. My best discounted in-stock price is $24,891, plus registration (based on whether you get new plates, or transfer, and whether you are financing or paying cash), and our dealer processing fee of $299.
  • plamplam Member Posts: 10
    Help! Am beginning my search to purchase a 08 Prius in the Houston area. Anyone out there recently purchased one in this area?
  • jh0400jh0400 Member Posts: 2
    I work in the internet sales dept at a mid volume dealership in the houston area. We can't get enough hybrids right now and a Prius is bringing close to if not MSRP. Also, you may have to shop to find what you want because dealer trades for these cars are almost nonexistant. please feel free to message me with any questions.
  • millsymillsy Member Posts: 1
    temsley do you mind telling me the city of this dealership? Thanks :)
    That does not sound like a good deal to me. I just purchased a package 5 Prius for 24714 plus the same fees. I am also in CT and got mine at Hoffman Toyota. I had emailed a lot of Toyota dealers in the CT area shopping for price.
    Great price - what color did you get? Wondering if we both got from the same place - but I got a package 5.
  • whiterice42019whiterice42019 Member Posts: 9
    Temsly,
    Thats an awsome price. Can you give me the dealer location and sales person name? I would love to get that price on a package #2
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• csundealcsundeal Member Posts: 3
    2008 Prius pkg 6
    selling price is $26,336
    interest rate 5.75%
    term 36 months
    total out the door $28,800.01
    Zero down your at $874.98 a month.

This is for a Magnetic Grey Prius pkg 6 that I have in stock and ready for delivery. Let me know if you need any thing else. Thank you.

the dealer is Miller Toyota, is this offer OK? Can anybody give me any idea? Thank you!
  • jenmarylandjenmaryland Member Posts: 2
    Here is a quote I just got in the Philadelphia area for a Package #2, NOT including taxes and tags:

$22,776

I had to spend an hour at the dealership haggling back and forth to get this price, but I don't think it's very good. They want an answer by tomorrow. Any opinions?
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    $22,776
    I had to spend an hour at the dealership haggling back and forth to get this price, but I don't think it's very good. They want an answer by tomorrow. Any opinions?

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
    MSRP Invoice Good Price
    HG Package #2 $575 $518 $555
    Destination Charge $660 $660 $660
    Total with Options $23,710 $21,873 $23,067

I grabbed this from Edmunds option pricing list.
    So you can see that invoice does not include destination. So the best you could do is invoice. If i were to buy a Prius I would use the Internet and offer them invoice on the car and pay no more than $180 in doc fees. Average around here is $160. Honda dealer is $400. :sick:
  • fallabelfallabel Member Posts: 9
    Also, there's definitely no reason for them to put a time constraint on you. If the price is valid today, it should be valid next week too.
  • jenmarylandjenmaryland Member Posts: 2
    I am very confused, tiff_c. What is invoice plus destination? What is the best price I could do? What is invoice on an HG Prius?

Are you saying invoice is $21,873 but I would have to pay $660 destination in addition to that?
  • plamplam Member Posts: 10
    So what is the best deal I may find for the 08 w/ pkg #2? Please respond to pnl22@yahoo.com. Thanks!
  • 3c33c3 Member Posts: 76
    > So the best you could do is invoice.

You can get it for LESS than invoice because there are other hidden discounts not included in that invoice price.
    I am very confused, tiff_c. What is invoice plus destination? What is the best price I could do? What is invoice on an HG Prius?

Basically invoice as listed by Edmunds is the price of the car as the dealer pays for it. Forget about all the volume sales by dealers, holdbacks etc...
    Invoice is the price, but invoice does NOT include delivering the car to the dealership. That priced is fixed and it is always added on and is non-negotiable by any dealership.
    So the invoice price on the Prius with Pkg 2 is $21,873 You have to add $660 onto that as even the dealer has to pay for it. Total $22,533
    So unless you buy a Prius under invoice that is effectively the invoice price. since destination is unavoidable. Then all dealers charge a documentation fee. Can vary from $50 to $900 depending on the dealership.
    If they sell you the car for $22,533 and add on a $150 doc fee that is a very good price. My local dealer here wanted $300 more than that and I walked. I bought a different car, now I am looking at a Prius and other cars again. But I'm not getting final prices yet.
    Gas is going up, but hard to say if buying a Prius is worth it or not. Ideally I'd like an AWD for the horrible roads we have because as gas goes up they plow the back roads that I live on less and less each storm! :sick:
    AWD's get poor economy tho, 20/27 for a Forester base model.
    You can get it for LESS than invoice because there are other hidden discounts not included in that invoice price.

I doubt you will buy a Prius for under invoice as gas is going up every week and they are selling the Prius like wildfire here. If you can get it for invoice you are doing well. But yes if it was a slow seller then possibly.
  • binsobinso Member Posts: 1
    My experience buying a prius from them was the worst experience buying a car in my life. Shady transaction when it came to my trade in... and 2 months later they call me back to tell me I have to pay taxes on my trade in, when they assured me at sale that I would not. Definately avoid buying a vehicle, as their carelessness, unprofessionalism, and lack of attention to detail will ultimately lead you to trouble. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • schaeffzschaeffz Member Posts: 18
    Darcars Toyota, Frederick MD
    Prius w/ Package#2, $1400 under MSRP ($1 over "Invoice"), $22,310.
    Beat Edmunds TMV by $700, so I felt it was pretty good.
    Also, beat Fitzmall by $300.
    They were selling low-end Prius' like crazy, so I hit them at the right time.
    I got the Platinum Warranty for $1250, "Retail" is $1895. I guess the finance guy was in a good mood? Or maybe that's the going "discount"? Anyway, he was happy so I guess he gets a good paycheck.
    I always prided myself at not being taken in by dealer warranties, and have managed to get economical extended warranties. Funny thing tho is that I've never had to use them! So, I really don't know how easy it is to get service from those companies.
    But, this is a reasonable cost compared to other non-Toyota warranties, and I am somewhat worried about the Prius not being servicable other than at Toyota, so...
    I have a friend who had a Toyota warranty and his 2004 Prius display went dead after 30,000 miles, and they fixed it in a day for free, no hassle. He's got 133,000 miles and has had no other problems, but he's got an additional extended warranty, just in case.
  • lisajanaelisajanae Member Posts: 2
    I got a quote for a 2008 Prius, package #5 for $25,149 (a little over $1500 off MSRP). Is this a good deal? I've contacted lots of dealers, but this is my first time ever buying a car ... and since I'm a woman, I fear dealers will try to take advantage of me. Should I go for it? Thanks!
  • stormy111stormy111 Member Posts: 16
    Car_Guy & Kyfdx - please do your magic. You did me well on the last lease:

2008 Prius with Package #6 & Car Mats
    $27,884 sticker (after $2k pkg 6 credit from Toyota)
    No tax in CT on Prius's
    $1k down, 24 month lease, $16,458 residual, 12k year
    $625 month

It seemed high to me - I asked finance mgr. for money factor and he came up with some story about not using them anymore. I told the salesman that it is costing me $15k in payments he turned white but didn't say a word.

Thanks for the help.
  • tphsseniortphssenior Member Posts: 11
    Stormy -

Even at full MSRP the monthly payments only come to $540 on a 24 mo lease with 1K down. The base money factor, I believe, is .00245. $625 seems really high!
This discussion has been closed.