Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Noise and Vibration

12346»

Comments

• robert1978robert1978 Member Posts: 3
    I just recently purchased a rebuilt transmission from transmission depot. The transmission came with a torque converter. I installed the transmission and the only problem I had was that once I bolted it up the torque converter and flywheel where hard to turn, but then it just fell into place and turned smoothly after I rotated it. I put fluid in it cranked it up and nothing happened. Does anybody have any ideas?
  • biggjerrbiggjerr Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2012 silverado quad cab that vibrates at just under 1500 rpm @ 45 mph. Dealer told me thats when the engine go's into 4 cylinder mode. It does the same thing at idle. I was wondering how i was getting 21 mpg with this truck. Thoroughbred Chevrolet of Chandler Arizona gave this info.
  • max04z71max04z71 Member Posts: 1
    Robert1978, I just started having the same issue with my 04 z71. Your description of the hum/resistance/vibration is exactly what I'm experiencing. Did you ever reach a conclusion as to the cause? Any chance it's an easy/inexpensive fix?
  • disgruntledgmdisgruntledgm Member Posts: 1
    did they charge you for the it
  • kellmackellmac Member Posts: 10
    Hi I have a 2003 2500 hd with the same problems rumble, vibration ,,drone,
    at highway speed I have been through drive shafts bearings electric transfer case shift indicator and transfer cases!!
    rear end rebuild and four sets of brakes and backing plates brake lines abs unit bearing and sensors and now i'm be told it mite be exhaust or clutch fan or harmonic balancer or maybe transmission.
    I paid 23k for this truck with extended warranty witch did not cover most of these
    repairs i've spent 24k on repairs.
    GM has the worst quality control that i have ever seen even the new trucks backing plate are rotting on trucks that are 6 weeks old. not covered by GM because its rotted . WOW. I owned this truck less than one year and the dealer offered me 7 thousand dollars on a trade of a new one and they where" doing
    me a huge favor" for a truck that was one year old. Because of the noise that should have been covered I've driven GM product for 35 years and have had brand loyalty for a long time but WOW WTF I'm so glad the tax payers bailed out the car company's
    Hi I have a 2003 2500 hd with the same problems rumble, vibration ,,drone,
    at highway speed I have been through drive shafts bearings electric transfer case shift indicator and transfer cases!!
    rear end rebuild and four sets of brakes and backing plates brake lines abs unit bearing and sensors and now i'm be told it mite be exhaust or clutch fan or harmonic balancer or maybe transmission.
    I paid 23k for this truck with extended warranty witch did not cover most of these
    repairs i've spent 24k on repairs.
    GM has the worst quality control that i have ever seen even the new trucks backing plate are rotting on trucks that are 6 weeks old. not covered by GM because its rotted . WOW. I owned this truck less than one year and the dealer offered me 7 thousand dollars on a trade of a new one and they where" doing
    me a huge favor" for a truck that was one year old. Because of the noise that should have been covered I've driven GM product for 35 years and have had brand loyalty for a long time but WOW WTF I'm so glad the tax payers bailed out the car company's
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    How many miles on the truck? How long should GM stand behind their trucks? 100K? 200K?

If you spent 24K on repairs - what can I say?
    The truck has 56k on it I have had the noise since the second week that I had it.
    I also just got the complete service record for the truck the previous owner had the truck for less than one year and had multiple problems with it including a drone or vibration, they put new transmission in at 1200 miles thats about the time I got stuck with it. thats less than 5600 miles per year GREAT QUALITY hu!!!
    between the dealer and the other repair shop they have put 3200 mile on the
    truck this year. And the dealer says nothing wrong with it even though it shakes
    the filling out of your mouth. The other repair shop has not charged me yet and
    is getting pissed off they can't find the problem yet they have asked GM to send
    there gurgu to look at the truck he wants 350 and hour.
    which is interesting since they would not do it under warranty.
    Hi Max
    I wish there was I've tried u joints drive shafts, bearing, tires, transfer case,
    clutch fan ect. Their is a service bulletin on exhaust resanence they want to try a flex pipe after the catalytic converters?
    My problems still seems to be rotational between 50 and 70 mph
    even if put into neutral at that speed.
    If you come up with the answer please let me know
    good luck
    A guy on another forum had this same issue and the dealer diagnosed the drivetrain was out of alignment. They realigned the transmission and driveshaft and the problem was solved.

Might want to mention this to the dealer.
  • mildbill81mildbill81 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2013 Silverado Extended Cab that vibrates right at the shift point between V4 and V8 mode - between 1100 and 1500 rpm, 40 to 45 mph. Dealer says vehicle is operating as designed and that he can do nothing to fix it. I can't believe that GM puts vehicles on the road that have this issue. Does anyone know of a fix?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Ask the dealer do a test drive on a similar model on the sales lot. It will be quickly established whether he's blowing smoke or not.

or

Call the GM customer service line in your owners manual and file a complaint. They could refer you to a more accommodating dealer.

or

As your current dealer is telling you....live with it.
    There is a fix-it's aftermarket. This device cuts off the AFM. Owners have reported no significant mpg loss. Some have reported a slight increase in mpg.

www.rangetechnology.com
  • ceb66ceb66 Member Posts: 70
    mildbill81,

Check the transmission Forum. And believe it. They do "put em' on the road!

Since at least 2010 when they began to appease the Feds and increase "CAFE (fuel mileage) standards" in return for the TARP Money, GM has been very aware of the AFM and transmission complaints. The growling, lagging, thump-"what-the ....-was-that" complaints etc.
  • digshotdigshot Member Posts: 2
    I am getting vibration and humming from my front end that increases with speed. It does not affect the steering (it's not wobbling). Took it into Big O Tires and they realigned the front end, and said the wheel bearings are fine. This did not solve the problem, it's still there and seems to be getting worse. They said it was the sound of the tires. This is not the tires. It seems to stop when I turn to the right, and I think it is affecting power also. I've seen several posts for something similar, has anyone ever found a solution? I want to know what I'm talking about before I take it in for repair.
  • digshotdigshot Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking it has something to do with the differential. There appears to be solidified oil that has been leaking and flowing back toward transmission.
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    HUH?
  • barbirvingbarbirving Member Posts: 1

I did customer service for GM and handled many, many calls about this same issue. We were always told to refer the customer to the dealer. I feel the customers were only given the run around and I am sure that GM knew exactly what was causing the problem. Most of the calls that had this issue were the Silverado regular cab long bed.