Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Noise and Vibration

jabo2jabo2 Member Posts: 1
I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 crew-cab,2wd.I have a noise coming from under the hood somewhere that sounds kinda like a whining car horn.When you push down on the gas pedal, that's when you hear it.After a few seconds it will go away.I took it in to the dealer and of course they could not find any problem.This is something I listen to everyday,and they could not find or hear the noise 1 time,so they give me a clean bill of health.Is there anyone out there having a similar problem?Thanks.

Comments

• thereisnospoonthereisnospoon Member Posts: 12
    It's called Chevyitis - it basically means you bought the wrong truck. Don't worry - I'm sure a few recalls down the line it will be fixed.
  • gumpp08gumpp08 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 silverado it has 79000 miles and the motor makes a tapping sound. It sounds like a lifter, I took it in under warranty and they say that it is typical. They say it is carbon on the pistons. They won't do anything about it. Anyone have this problem and what did you do??
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    The engineers at GM have determined that this tapping noise will have no effect on longevity of the motor. That is why the dealer will not do anything. Course they are suppose to explain that to you. Now whether you beleive that or not well that's another story.

BTW, there is a TSB out addressing this and it does state what I've typed above.
  • jamcijamci Member Posts: 1
    2005 Sierra - same noise - nobody knows what it is.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Actually, the engineers at GM have determined that there is nothing they can do about it because the upper management told them to STFU. It can probably be stated that the tapping noise will make the engine readh the 100k mark, and that's probably good enough for them.
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    I had a strange noise under the hood of my old Chevy once while cranking it......mama's cat never was the same after that!! :sick:
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    Longevity aside, what the engineers and that TSB (GM) do not address is the lost value to the vehicle caused by the tapping. I, and I assume most smart buyers, would not buy one making that noise (without significant discount).

-David
  • silvertruksilvertruk Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Silverado 1500 makes a high pitched sound when I start the engine. Although the sound goes away after a few minutes of idling, when I engage the drive and give it gas it starts again and the pitch increases/decreases depending on if I push the gas pedal down/let go. This is when the truck is in motion. Is this the fuel pump?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
  • jschunkejschunke Member Posts: 13
  • jschunkejschunke Member Posts: 13
    I just bought an '07 Silverado 1500 crew cab,
    short bed, 5.3L, 2 wheel drive, 3.23 rear. The
    stock exhaust has an irritating low frequency
    drone when I give it gas. I have tinnitus and am
    very sensitive to noise. I need this thing to be
    near silent! There are several options:

1) leave it be for a while and let the muffler
    break in. Maybe it'll quiet down.
    2) add a resonator (a dynomax super turbo, for
    instance) before the muffler, but that would put
    it right under the cab.
    3) wrap the stock muffler with some kind of sound
    insulation.
    4) insulate the cab with acoustic material.

Has anyone else noticed that this automatic
    transmission whines under certain conditions?

Other than that I like this truck. Reasonably
    quiet (besides the wind noise). It doesn't feel like I'm driving a four story building (F150).
    It also puts out relatively low electromagnetic field (EMF) emissions. For other truck EMF ratings see, www.ahappyhabitat.com
    Warning to Toyota Tundra drivers: You are being exposed to a good deal of EMF.

Best,
    JES
  • l204l204 Member Posts: 6
    Sounds like the serpentine belt is slipping and or you may have a broken or weak tension pully. When you first start it up its under strain because the alternator, water pump and A/c all kick in. Then they get up to speed until you step on the gas and speed everything up. A fuel pump is under a steady pressure. You can check this by taking the belt off and starting it. Just dont run it long. NO Engine COOLING with out the belt on. Also keep in mind if its a bearing in the alternator or water pump it will also go away when you take the belt off. Where is the sound coming from? Under the hood or back Of the truck?
  • karnubakarnuba Member Posts: 2
  • karnubakarnuba Member Posts: 2
    I have a noise coming from the drive shaft area. Thought it was a disc brake squealer, turned out I was able to eliminate those. Sounds like it may be coming from the drive shaft center support bearing. Does this seem to you, that this may be where the problem is? If so what are my repair options?
  • wingsh00terwingsh00ter Member Posts: 9
    My 2000 Silverado is making the same noise. It started this summer with about 55k miles. It sounds like a "steam teapot" or a coil of wire violently unwinding and only lasts for a second or two. My guess is something in the torque converter.

If you do a search for "steam teapot" on the forum you will see someone else had the issue, but did not leave me a way to reply. He had a newer truck also.

If you search on "Driveline Vibration/Growl Noise" (msg# 329) there looks like there is a TB on reprogramming the PCM. I just started looking into this issue and the TB mentions something about the torque converter clutch exciting various driveline components.

Other than the noise, I have not noticed any other symptom or side effects.

Let me know if anyone else discovers additional info.
    The searches I mentioned earlier are located at:
    GMC Sierra: Problems & Solutions
    msg# 329 - Tech Bulletin
    msg# 1454 - Other post about issue.

Good luck
    Here is the TB info:

Driveline Vibration/Growl Noise (Reprogram PCM) #99-07-30-024
    Driveline Vibration/Growl Noise (Reprogram PCM)
    2000 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Utility and Pickup Models (Silverado and Sierra)

with 4.8 L or 5.3 L Engine (VINs V, T -- RPOs LR4, LM7)

and Hydra-Matic 4L60-E Transmission (RPO M30)

Condition
    Some customers may comment about a driveline vibration/growl noise at speeds between 56-80 km/h (35-50 mph) with low engine speeds.

Cause
    Engine torsional vibration when the torque converter clutch is engaged at low engine speeds, 1100-1400 RPM, can excite various driveline components. These driveline disturbances can cause noises and vibrations that the driver may feel and/or hear.

Correction
    Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with the calibrations listed in this bulletin.
  • ohsilveradomanohsilveradoman Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone,

First time to this site and all I will say is wow there is enough awesome info. here to keep me up way too late at night learning. Anyway I shall be purchasing a new Silverado by the end of January and was very interested of course in finding out if anyone out there has or is going to be doing the same and what the heck people are paying for these expensive machines. I have invoice and MSRP already but I don't have anyone in the business so I won't be getting any "plan" discounts. Any help would be great. Thanks ya'll.
  • jcee3jcee3 Member Posts: 3
    I noticed this about a week ago when I stopped at a gas station in the middle of the night to buy a pack of smokes.

As I returned to my already running truck I noticed a humming/buzzing sound coming from right behind the driver side , where the cab meets the bed of my truck.

To give a better idea of what kind of noise it was making imagine a leaf blower from a hundred yards away.

I drive my truck for a living and have 180,000+ miles on it already.

Does anyone have an idea of what this sound could be?

Thx in advanced for any help.
  • gmcjoegmcjoe Member Posts: 11
    Although the board moderators might frown upon you starting a new thread for this, I'll attempt an answer here. I'm no expert, but if your truck was running as you stated, you were probably hearing the electric fuel pump, since it is located in the tank just inside the left frame rail. My '00 makes a slight buzzing noise that is more pronounced when the tank is empty. I've heard others describe the same symptom, but I don't know if it means that pump failure is imminent. I'll worry about that if and when it happens to mine.
    Thanks for the help I apologize for starting a new thread , I wasn't sure where to post...

my buddy suggested it was the fuel pump as well but I wanted to get some confirmation from a third party before getting it fixed...
  • emgoaksemgoaks Member Posts: 5
    I have a squeak that just developed tonight. It seems that the squeak is audible once for each time the driveline makes a revolution. Could it be a u-joint? There doesn't seem to be much play in the driveline when I'm under it and try to move it around. There seems to be a bit of grease on the transfer case housing coming from where the rear driveline enters the transfer case but that may be normal...the grease isn't fresh or dripping by any means.

Anyone experienced the same thing? Thanks in advance.
    No need for anyone to assist me with this one....I dropped my driveline and the only u-joint that seemed to be a slight issue was the single cardon...the double cardon was doing just fine (modified driveline due to the 6" lift)....pumped some grease into the existing u-joint and was well on my way to a squeakeless ride....Thanks anyway
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Thanks for returning with your fix - may help someone else in the future :)

kcram - Pickups Host
  • wthrmn654wthrmn654 Member Posts: 4
    my gmc 1997 sierra 2500 series with 2 wheel drive and extended cab 2 doors, has a problem with the driveline..to me it looks to have somethign to do wit the middle exchange area.. any ideas?! it will used to thump sometimes when it was tgoing through the geears but now thats doens't happena nymore now it just has a horrible squeal usually at lower speeds..
    my gmc 1997 sierra 2500 series with 2 wheel drive and extended cab 2 doors, has a problem with the driveline..to me it looks to have somethign to do wit the middle exchange area.. any ideas?! it will used to thump sometimes when it was tgoing through the geears but now thats doens't happena nymore now it just has a horrible squeal usually at lower speeds.
    anyway.. i was wondering.. what should i do for starters and secondaly what could possibly be the problem... i did take auto shop 12th grade but that was last year.. driving to college each day 4 times a week means i need to get it fixed pretty soon.. so many questions..
    Not familiar with the problem you're describing; Mine was definitely the u-joint. Sorry I couldn't help. Try searching the other forums and discussions as well, there seems to be a lot of talk going on about squeaks and thumps in the Silverado drivelines. Good luck!
  • painkillerpainkiller Member Posts: 5
    i have a 2003 1500 hd sierra, at 40+ mph i havea thump , thump thump noise, you can feel it in the steering wheel, the floor and pedals. when you apply the brakes it seems to stop. or when you turn a curve it seems to stop. i have checked everything i can, greased the steering , checked the brakes, fluids, u joints. i think i'm down to wheel brg. but they dont seem to be lose or feel rough when i roll the wheel jacked up. has anyone else had this prob? this truck has not been abused.
  • gmcproblemgmcproblem Member Posts: 4
    I have the exact same problem, the thumping noise coming from the driveline.2003 GMC Sierra HD Crew Cab, 58,000 miles. It has not been abused. The thumping noise occurs intermittently, in 2wd or 4wd, and applying the brakes somewhat dampens the noise. Been to the dealer twice and driven it with the service manager, but he doesn't really hear it or feel it. He says it may be the bearings or something like that. Sometimes the thumping gets so loud it sounds like a helicopter instead of a truck. Help!!!
    thanks for the answer, i am going to pull the bearings off this weekend and replace i'll let you know what happens.
    The thumping occurs at highway speeds, 60-70mph as well as the lower speeds. Seems to go away a little bit when turning to the right. I wonder if it is somehow connected to the problem with the intermediate steering shaft "clunking". Perhaps some harmonic vibration? I just replaced my tires ($704.00) because i thought the tires were cupping and causing the thump, thump thump....sound. Like I said, it is intermittent, but can be extremely loud. Very annoying. I'll look for your response. Thanks.
    mine is the same way, i greased the intermead shaft and it quietened it down some, but still there.
    Any luck greasing the bearings?
  • ahoronahoron Member Posts: 30
    bearing are sealed in the hub can't grease them just replace about $200 each side plus labor
    Did replacing the bearings stop the thumping?
    have not done anything yet been out of town and now have the flu. ahoron, did you have the same thing?
  • bcrawfordbcrawford Member Posts: 3
    My 98 Z71 had the same noise. Lasted for quite awhile before fuel pump stopped working. A trick to get u through is if the pump does quit working... Tap the tank with a rubber mallet, or shake the truck (with at least half a tank of fuel) and most times the pump will work again for a while.
  • 97gmc4by497gmc4by4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 GMC 4x4 Ext Cab p/u with a 4.3L.
    At speeds above 50mph I hear what sounds to me like something binding then releasing and then there is a clucking noise. I checked and everthing seems tight under the frontend. I also have put it in 4HI and 4LO thinking that maybe the 4 wheel drive didn't completely disengage. Any suggestions on what to check next?
  • goblin1goblin1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I have a 04 gmc sierra 4x4 with a 5.3 with a problem.At 900 rpm causing a vibration it can also be in park just take it to 900 rpm, it causes my dash to rattle on the inside and the muffler to rattle on the outside any tips on what would cause this vibration the truck has 70000 miles on it THANKS
  • goblin1goblin1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello i have an 04 gmc 4x4 sierra with 70000 miles on it at slow speeds like taking off or climbing a small hill at 10-20 mph i feel a rough spot in my pedals like a rough rub from something, does this going straight or in a curve, no load on it just creeping along and its not at the shift point, a couple of times it has even stopped for a split second,like it slipped then you feel it in the pedals then i hear some kind of noise like clunck from the rear end THANKS
  • 97gmc4by497gmc4by4 Member Posts: 2
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    There used to be a service bulletin regarding a clunk in the transfer case that said to flush the transfer case, but a new bulletin has been released to update it.

File In Section: 04 - Driveline Axle
    Bulletin No.: 99-04-21-004A
    Date: September, 2001
    This bulletin is being issued to advise dealerships to no longer flush and replace the transfer case fluid when a customer comments about a "bump" feeling when the vehicle accelerates from a stop.
    When Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-21-004 was issued, a new transfer case fluid had just been developed to correct this condition. Currently, a nickel-plated slip yoke is being developed that will correct this condition. A new bulletin will be issued as soon as parts are available.

I would start by replacing the transfer case fluid and checking to see if the transfer case chain is stretched.
    The new yoke for the driveline doesn't seem to be available yet, so I would remove the driveline and get some lube for the slip yoke from your GM dealer and lube it real good and re-install it. The clunk may be from the slip yoke hanging up on the splines.
  • allister9allister9 Member Posts: 1
    i also have a 03 silverado 1500HD and i also had this exact buzzing sound but it wasnt at idle speed but right around 120km, i had a friend sit in back so he cuold find it and it turned out to be the plastic plug just behind the driver side back seat, i pulled it out and threw it in the glove box and havent heard it buzz since, hope its as easy as that for ya
  • cappy8cappy8 Member Posts: 3
    2000 Silverado, 4wd, Z71 package 63,000 miles.
    I was driving on a newer flat concrete expressway at approximately 65-70 mph. The entire truck started shaking violently with the steering wheel almost jumping our of my hands. Pulled over, checked all tires, roadway, nothing amiss. No warning lights came on. Once I started again, nothing has recurred (at any speeds). Could this be the torque converter starting to go bad?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Have you ever changed your shocks?
  • cappy8cappy8 Member Posts: 3
    I haven't yet....but I will soon. Thanks!