Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

If you had $500K to spend on cars, which would you buy?

Comments

• davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    Sure....but it would be the one from that Car and Driver article where the author plowed into an embankment or some other fixture. Anyone remember that one? Maybe it was another car mag?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    You mean the Ferrari that turned out to be stolen. And the guy that wrecked it was a fugitive from some other country?

Scroll through the gallery. That cost someone close to 1/2 a million.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ferrari3mar03,0,1423392.story?coll=la-ho- me-headlines
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Nah they are a million plus. I was talking to a client of mine a couple of weeks ago and when he was buying his most recent Ferrari Ralph Lauren was picking up his Veryon.
    Why not? IF you have the money it makes for a great conversation piece in the 10 car garage. I see people getting all choked up about the environmental impact of a Bugatti. Think past that to the dozens of people that hand built that car. It provided a lot of good jobs. It will get fewer miles in its total lifetime than most Prius get in one year. Which is the bigger problem?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You make a valid point, but think about all the energy used up to create a piece of art that won't really serve any purpose besides looking good.

I'm outraged, in fact I think Veyron owners should donate their cars to me. :D
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    " I see people getting all choked up about the environmental impact of a Bugatti."

Really? I never have. Couldn't find any via google, either.

"It will get fewer miles in its total lifetime than most Prius get in one year. Which is the bigger problem?"

That's not a valid analysis. The prius is getting driven because the owner needs to go places. Presumably purchasing a bugatti that isn't getting driven doesn't mean that the owner now no longer needs to go places. They just may not often be doing it in the bugatti.
    I believe there was a quite a bit of negative opinion on a couple different threads here. To me hand crafted cars or art of any kind is a way for the wealthy to pass some of their wealth back down to the working class. Better for the economy than dumping the money in a CD.
  • daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    "I agree with you, daysailer. Now what cars would you get if you weren't retired yet and when you are?"

If I were retired and in need of a new car, I would probably buy the same car that I bought this year when not retired, a Subaru Impreza Wagon. It is still the smallest and best handling vehicle that I know of that will tow my sailboat, price notwithstanding.
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    Does that flat 4 pull pretty good? Would never had thought of towing with that vehicle.
  • daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    Its a small boat, <1000lbm with trailer, so the big 4cyl does fine. The Impreza is rated for 2000lbm w/trailer brake. Another option today would be the Volvo C30, which also has a 2Klbm tow rating, but it is FWD (I prefer driven rear wheels for towing) and costs $6-10K more than the Impreza, so for that price, I might opt for the WRX wagon.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    a subaru, if they had a turbo diesel one that could take biodiesel.

since I last posted... I kinda changed my choice of dream cars :

1- VW Jetta TDI , 2003, fully modded , biodiesel option....45 mpg, With crude oil prices so high, this would be the green alternative. OF course, if I had 500K to spend on cars alone, gas prices would not be an issue, eh ?

2- convert my 1999 Stillen Suburban to full turbo diesel option.....but that would cost close to $10,000....or more.

3- Aston Martin Vanguish 2006 model.....with 4 seat option.

4- Mercedes Sprinter 2007 model Passenger van, 6 cylinder turbo diesel, 10 passenger capable....modified with two TVs.

5- Get a new 2009 Porsche Panemera sports sedan with the twin turbo option...

That should be about $300,000,,,,

and then invest the left over in funds to help pay for the gas...
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I'd buy a 2009 Cadillac CTS-V and use the other $440,000 for new rear tires, gas, tickets, slick lawyers to keepme out of jail doing 180+ mph, high-risk insurance premiums. :P

-Rocky
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    just rent out Talladega for the afternoon and skip the lawyers and insurance.
    I don't really care for oval tracks pal !!!! That's not really racing IMHO. ;)

-Rocky
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Saw a 2007 RR at a dealership last night for $229,000. Super Nice car. Looks like it would survive a high-speed collision with an 18-wheeler.

Also saw a Lamborghini for $429,900. WHHHOOOOSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Got to sit in an R8 recently. That's a pretty boss car, and a good deal ( way cheaper than it's sibling lambo ) if you have $500,000 burning a hole in your pocket. :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Don't they have an in-field track? I like it when those are combined with part of the bigger track.
    I can't recall off the top of my head ???

-Rocky
  • onlygmmattersonlygmmatters Member Posts: 19
    For that amount of money, I'd be able to cover an entire fleet!

- Buick Enclave CXL
    - Chevrolet Malibu LT
    - Hummer H2
    - Cadillac Escalade Platnum
    - Cadillac Escalade EXT
    - Buick Lucerne CXL
    - Cadillac CTS-V
    - Chevrolet Cobalt SS

And the granddaddy of them all a Chevrolet Corvette Z06!!! For that kind of money, I can buy 2!!!
    LOL, man you got very good taste !!!! :shades:

-Rocky
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Congratulations!

You have set the record for the most rapidly depreciating $500k expenditure in the history of the automobile. You almost didn't win by throwing in the two Corvettes, but the others are so horrific that they wiped out whatever minimal benefit the Vette's added.

I've always wondered how those trailer park lottery winners managed to piss away a couple of million and end up broke in 3 years. Now I'm beginning to get the picture.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    lol

Sounds like a dream fleet for Enterprise rentacar...
    Well he could of spent it on Euro cars and pissed it all away on shop repairs and tow company's. :P

-Rocky
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,082
    Rocky, what response would you expect from a guy with his "handle" (no, I'm not offended by it, but come on, how 'open minded' can a guy with that handle be??!)

This person posted some time back that he thought a Cobalt was imported by Chevrolet, and that he thought that a Suburban's backup lights staying on after the vehicle was put in park and shut off, was a defect instead of a safety feature (like the headlights staying on until you get away from the vehicle).

Sheesh. All I have to say on the matter.

Bill
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    Whoa, Rocky, you think that list of GM's has ANY Consumer Reports most reliable awards to their credit? Ha! You seem to have had a lot of spiked Egg Nog over the Holidays. :P

It's not a coincidence that many GM models lose twice as much in value after 4-5 years as their Japanese or German counterparts. Even fewer people want to own a used one and inherit all the shakes rattles and rolls of the previous owner. My Japanese built 1995 Maxima SE is still tight as a drum after 13 years and 155k miles. If there is a single GM product of similar vintage, similar mileage and similar condition, I'd love to see it.
    We're all happy about how solid your twelve-year old Nissan is. Have you seen what Consumer Reports has said over the past several years about Nissan's Sentra, Quest, Titan and Armada models? Might be enlightening for you to check that out as well, instead of cherry-picking GM models to bolster your argument.

Bill P.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    None of the Nissan models you listed have ever been on my shopping list, but I will give you this - Nissan quality has gone down hill on the Maxima since the production was transferred from Japan to the US. My 1995 was the "fourth generation" produced from 1995-1999 in Japan. Starting in 2000, it came over to the states and between becoming a land yacht and having lost significant quality control, it also is off my future shopping list. So I'm not just picking on GM.
    A good friend has a '96 Infiniti model that is identical to the Maxima. While he likes it and it has been well-maintained since new, it did require a new fuel injector, he says the heater doesn't work well, and he seems to have repeated and somewhat costly issues with brake rotors and other brake parts. Has your Maxima somehow avoided these issues?

Bill
    I'm assuming you mean me since the second item was my nitpick on a Suburban Rental truck with 1400 miles? The backup lights were the least of the problems, I mentioned my issues with it, you can take them or leave it (I think it's an idiotic idea and a safety hazard but what do I know, there is a world outside GM I guess) the whining transmission was the big thing, the busted off (and missing) door handle and blown speakers were piddley, but with 1400 miles on it? Unacceptable is more like it. Rental car or not, 1400 miles is pathetic for these issues.

I have absolutely no idea where the imported Cobalt came from. It's just another cheapass rental car from GM, built here and rented sold here alongside the Impala, rentabu and Lacrosse.
    Whoa, Rocky, you think that list of GM's has ANY Consumer Reports most reliable awards to their credit? Ha! You seem to have had a lot of spiked Egg Nog over the Holidays.

Well if you think I take anything Consumer Reports, as the gospel truth then you must be smoking something. They, not I habby, have been taking a few to many drinks of the spiked egg nog when giving reccomendations on automobile products. ;) Thank-god some in the media had the courage to expose them and their lies. The child car seat episode, giving toyota products free passes when their are recalls after recalls, to name a few put a major dent in their credibility. ;)

As far as your 95' Maxima goes just take a look at lemko's late 80's Cadillac. :P I know plenty of people with mid 90's GM, cars with lots of miles on em'. My pops has a couple of hundred thousand on his 98 Silvy, and it looks fantastic. :shades:

-Rocky
    Boy, anythngbutgm, there is a rational discussion of automobile points, one make versus another, one by one, no sweeping generalizations. Sheesh.

"Rentabu". Have you seen, read, or heard anything at all about the new Malibu? Car and Driver's "10 Best Cars in the World" list, Automobile Magazine's Ten Best Cars list, runner up for Motor Trend's COTY (that's 'Car of the Year' in case you maybe never heard of it, like the GM Lordstown plant that assembles Cobalts).

I can hear the 'open-minded' guffaws coming, but I own two Chevys bought new by me: an '02 Cavalier Coupe 5-speed with 104K miles, and an '05 Uplander van with 40K miles. Neither are perfect, but have been dirt-cheap to operate, they both cost less to buy than others in their class and I think they both look nicer than other cars in their price class, and my dealer (though I haven't needed it much) is one mile from my house and the Service Dept. is excellent...always friendly and willing to go the extra mile...sometimes even when warranty is up. When I travel (which is frequently), I have the peace of mind of knowing that even the smallest towns farthest from the big cities will have a Chevy dealer if needed...although I've never needed one so far.

I constantly read the "take it or leave it" attitude of both sales and service departments of so-called 'more desirable' brands. Who the hell needs that?

I'll be ostracized for this, but I think if you park my dark green Cavalier Coupe 5-speed with aluminum wheels, next to a friend's Infiniti, the one that looks just like a Maxima ('96), the Cavalier looks way better, style-wish (less 'vanilla' and old-fartish). I will say that my friend likes his Infiniti and feels that it overall has been a good car.

And I'm prepared to deal with the "lousy resale value" comments that are sure to follow, with....when the vehicles cost less to purchase new, wouldn't you rather have the savings now than later? Remember Economics class? It's called "the time value of money".

Bill
    I might also add, although many will feel it laughable as well, that I think buying American is a positive thing for everyone involved...labor, management, everyone. It is no secret that domestic manufacturers employ thousands more employees than do import manufacturers, even those that manufacture here. That's not my sole reason for buying what I do, but if that doesn't even enter a person's head in the slightest when deciding what to buy, well...I'm sorry to hear that.

Plus...I can hear the brickbats coming now...frankly, I haven't forgotten World War II. Since there are thousands of people, on all sides, who were alive then and who remember now what that was all about, why we were dragged into it, I cannot justify spending money on a product whose profits go back to a country that attacked us, or was on the verge of most likely (Germany). We're not talking the mid 1800's here..there are thousands alive today who were alive then and were negatively affected by it. I probably won't change my feelings on that until after there is no one alive on any side today who was alive and affected by that terrible war then.

Bill
    I saw someone drive through our little town on Christmas Eve in a Ford GT. It is a pretty car and worthy to be on a list of cars I would consider if I had half a million to buy cars with. I had to wonder if it was a Christmas present.

I kept detailed mileage and service logs on my Maxima. I didn't need to replace the front brake pads until the equivalent of the 90,000 mile service. Rear pads were replaced at 105,000 miles. The original rotors were fine in both cases. The first real "repair" of any kind on the car, that wasn't considered routine maintenance, was a failed water pump at 111k miles.

The clutch is original, the engine is running at 98%+ compression on all cylinders (equivalent to a brand new car tolerance) and the exterior paint (Ruby Pearl) still looks rich and deep.

Unfortunately, I've spent more money in service on the car in the past two years because it is not being driven regularly. I had to replace the tires due to sidewall cracks, not treadwear. Another set of brake pads and rotor replacement at 154k miles (due to some rust on the rotors), and the battery went dead. I am sure that if the car had been driven even 50 miles every couple of weeks, none of this would have happened and I'm actually considering either selling my 2004 TL and bringing the car back to DC or finding a responsible person to "loan" the car to to drive while we are not at our second home.

A golfing buddy of mine also had an Infiniti I30 as well and he had no problems before turning it in at 140,000 miles for an E350 this year. However, that Infiniti, with the softer suspension and automatic transmission, was not nearly as fun to drive as my "4 door sports car".
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Ditto!

But why settle for just a Buick Lucerne CXL? Go all the way and get a CXS and throw in a LaCrosse Super while you're at it! ;)
    My answer to the "lousy resale value argument" is that buying any car I don't like just because it has great resale value is still throwing money away in my book.
    "Rentabu". Have you seen, read, or heard anything at all about the new Malibu? Car and Driver's "10 Best Cars in the World" list, Automobile Magazine's Ten Best Cars list, runner up for Motor Trend's COTY (that's 'Car of the Year' in case you maybe never heard of it, like the GM Lordstown plant that assembles Cobalts).

link title

All-New 2008 Malibu 'Fit for Fleet Needs'
    Fleet-Only Package Offered
    The 2008 Malibu LS is offered with the fleet-only 1FL package featuring all the Malibu LS retail model&#146;s standard features, such as air conditioning, rear defogger, remote keyless entry, tire pressure monitor system, as well as the standard 2.4L, 169-hp, four-cylinder, 4-speed engine and oil life monitoring system.

1997 MT COY, became nothing more than rental fodder. 2004 model was met with the same hype, "The car to take down the Accord and Camry".

Rental car. Again 60% fleet. Doesn't even break 100k retail.

link title

Chevrolet Malibu: 37,792 | 26,435 | 64,227 | 58.8%

Accord does under 2% fleet selling 350 - 400k per year. The Camry? 12% fleet, out of 450k per year.

As far as the new one goes, we'll have to wait and see I guess. But imo the Aura is a better car, no wait, the same car, but cheaper and not nearly as fugly and thankfully Saturns are pretty much kept away from your Enterprise and Avis lots which helps keep the resale value raping to a minimum... But if terrible resale doesn't bother you, well then a Pontiac G6 can be had for even less money if you can handle the Cavalier reincarnation interior.
    frankly, I haven't forgotten World War II. Since there are thousands of people, on all sides, who were alive then and who remember now what that was all about, why we were dragged into it, I cannot justify spending money on a product whose profits go back to a country that attacked us, or was on the verge of most likely (Germany).

I was born in 73' my grandfather served in WW2 and when he died he was driving a Toyota Corolla and my grandmother is still driving a Hyundai Elantra. My great uncle who passed away about 10 years ago also served in the Army was driving all Mercedes for the time I can remember.

Seriously, I can respect your reasoning and I understand the whole Patriotism thing. I am truely thankful for our freedoms that our forefathers earned, but this is the 20st century, I am not going to hold onto something that happened 70 years ago as a reason for a car purchase. Those people selling, building, marketing cars from Japan and Germany weren't soldiers in WW2 either, they are just businessmen (just like us Americans) trying to earn a honest paycheck to support their families just like us. I'm not going to personally hold WW2 against a bunch of people who were probably babies when that crap happened.

Hey, we buy oil from the same people harboring terrorists who attacked this country. Those same people are looking to threaten our freedom as well. Maybe we should think of that as well when we are buying our 12mpg Suburbans and Tahoes huh? Make a pledge to buy only American produced oil.

It is no secret that domestic manufacturers employ thousands more employees than do import manufacturers, even those that manufacture here. That's not my sole reason for buying what I do, but if that doesn't even enter a person's head in the slightest when deciding what to buy, well...I'm sorry to hear that.

Good for you. I buy what suits my needs best, has a proven track record amongst me, my family and my friends and if a domestic so happens to make the cut? I'll buy it. That's just my preference I guess. ;)
    If you think the '97 and '04 Malibus received the same level of universal acclaim from ALL the motoring press as the '08 has, send me whatever it is you've been ingesting, please. I need the same escape from reality you've been exhibiting here.

Bill
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    but this is the 20st century

You may want to fix that Y2K computer bug. We changed centuries on 1/1/01. :shades:
    Well, I was born in 1965. My Grandpop is currently 86 and served in the 2nd Armored Division in the European Theatre during WWII. He still drives his 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Brougham with 145K miles on it. My girlfriend's father who just passed away last year was a WWII Navy veteran in the Pacific Theatre. His last car was a 2003 Chevrolet Impala. Ironically enough, he did once own a 1975 Datsun, but found it was unsuitable for Phialdelphia driving conditions. He told me that taking that little car on the Schuylkill Expressway was quite an adventure!
    I'm not going to spend my evening researching this one but a quick google search brought me this...

link title

Chevrolet has completely redesigned its highly successful Malibu for the 2004 model year. The only thing that carries over from the old Malibu is the name. Every screw, nut and bolt is new on the 2004 Malibu. Test drives of several variations of the 2004 Malibu demonstrated that Chevy's new sedan stacks up well against the Japanese competition in driving dynamics and price.
    The driving performance of the Malibu exceeded our expectations. Steering and handling are softer than the Honda Accord, but firmer than the Toyota Camry, the right balance for a wide range of buyers. The solid body structure and supple suspension result in a quiet cabin and comfortable ride yet allow spirited driving. We were impressed with the power of the available V6. The cabin offers roomy accommodations for five passengers with comfortable seats and logical controls that are easy to use.

link title

Introduced in 1996 as a 1997 model, General Motors expected the Chevrolet Malibu to take some wind out of the sails of import competitors like the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry who were gaining market share against the domestics in the mid-size car segment. With the conservative looks and a desirable blend of comfort and handling, the 1997 Malibu appeared to be right on the money. Enough that Motor Trend was moved to name it "1997 Car of the Year."
    Well, my girlfriend once owned the 1997-era Malibu's ugly sister - the 1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass sedan. It was mediocrity personified with its underwhelming 3.1 litre V-6 with a troubled cooling system. Even GM uses it to poke fun at itself in its ads for the 2008 Malibu. I told her that her car was no Oldsmobile. I like to think of Oldsmobiles as my Dad's glamourous 1955 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Starfire convertible, the awesome 442 muscle cars, or even my stately 1979 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Regency sedan.
    My granddad served in the Navy from day one of WW2 till the 50's. My dad was inspired enough by this that he also joined the Navy right after spending a year at Boston University starting his degree in mechanical drafting. He left college because he felt it was his duty to serve in Vietnam. I almost served myself as I graduated around the time of the Gulf war, but chose to pursue a college degree instead (earned scholarship)
    My answer to the "lousy resale value argument" is that buying any car I don't like just because it has great resale value is still throwing money away in my book.

And my response to anyone who thinks a $30-$40k GM product is a better "value" than a $40-50k Japanese or German product doesn't know how to do the math.
    Has nothing to do with math. To me, the German and Japanese cars are undesirable. The German cars are too expensive and troublesome and the Japanese cars are simply boring and/or ugly. I could care less if one of my GM cars is worth $0 by the time it's paid-off. I simply find GM cars exponentially more desirable than any of the imports.

Spending my money on either a German or Japanese vehicle despite the way I feel about them because they have so-called "better resale value" is still wasting my money. It's like marrying the ugly girl with the nasty personality who's going to make your life miserable just because her Daddy is rich and promised you a great job at his company. Sorry, I'll stay with the nice girl of modest means who has treated me well for over 25 years.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You guys have $500k to spend and you're worrying about resale? :P
    LOL, good point and I think lemko, made a great counter punch in his last point !!!! ;)

Good Job, lemko !!!! ;)

$500K to burn in not any order as of December 31, 2007 :shades:

#1 Cadillac STS AWD 2008' loaded V8 performance $65K minus GM employee discount

#2 2009' Cadillac CTS-V loaded $60K ???? minus GM employee discount

#3 Saab 9-3 Black Turbo XWD w/ e-LSD loaded $45K ???? minus GM discount

#4 2009' Lincoln MKS AWD loaded $50K

#5 2009' Corvette ZR-1 $100K

#6 2008' Cadillac Escalade Platinum SUV $74K minus GM discount

#7 2008' GMC Sierra Denali loaded $48K minus GM discount

#8 2008 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 3/4 Ton Pick-Up $53K minus GM discount

Add that up if my math is correct it would total to $495,000 not including around $40-50K in GM employee discounts and any incentives which would be used for gas and insurance, and maybe some rear tires !!!! :P

-Rocky
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    How come you don't get a discount on the ZR-1?
This discussion has been closed.