Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Mazda CX-9

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    If I had seen your post before I was done writing mine, I would have! I think we were posting at the same time, however, work delayed me from hitting "post my message" :shades:
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Not sure where you get this $3k differentce: the CX-9 is over $5k less when you compare the MDX with tech/ent package vs. Grand Touring CX-9 with NAV/ent (MDX = $45.6k, CX-9 ~40k).

Also, the CX-9 gives you the option of getting many different trims, and you can actually get one in the low to mid 30's with decent options. The MDX starts at $40k.

But let's face it, the MDX is being marketed for a different crowd than the CX-9; Mazda has never pretended to be a luxury brand.
  • fromsffromsf Member Posts: 19
    Wikipedia states that platform is sourced from Ford for CX-9.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_CX-9

I will post the URL where I found stating CX-9 uses the transmission from Ford & GM Joint venture shortly.

One thing that I feel strong about CX-9 over MDX is that CX-9 has more space than MDX.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    "I will post the URL where I found stating CX-9 uses the transmission from Ford & GM Joint venture shortly."

So, should we ignore the part of the Wikipedia page you just posted that says "The CX-9 will also use an Aisin sourced 6-speed automatic transmission with a console-mounted shifter in a complex Mercedes-Benz-like gate?"

The Ford Edge is the one that uses the Ford/GM tranny, not the CX-9.
    Link about Transmission sharing:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060411/FREE/60410001/1062/F- - REE&template=printart

http://www.answers.com/topic/gm-ford-6-speed-automatic-transmission

When I read the both articles, assumed that transmission from GM and Ford Innovation. May be assumption was completly wrong.
    Here is one more link about transmission sharing:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/category/cat.BuyingNewCars?@@

Please read the question and answer of "Question of the Day - What Is Considered An American Vehicle?"
  • d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    And if you dig Wiki deeper you find...

The CD3 (for "C/D-class") is a Ford global midsize car automobile platform. It was designed by Mazda in association with Ford and debuted with the Mazda Mazda6 sedan in early 2003. Mazda refers to the CD3 platform as GG/GY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_CD3_platform
    Those are some pretty old articles, that is why you found that info.

Just like the articles preceding the CX-7, many authors were assuming that the CX-7 was going to get the 3.5L or 3.0L Duratec, when actually, it got Mazda's MZR 2.3L Turbo.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Even if CX-9 uses the tranny from Ford, I would be very happy. Since this tranny is from GM & Ford Joint innovation, surely it will be lot better than Japanese makes.
    :surprise:
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    :confuse:
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    "Since this tranny is from GM & Ford Joint innovation, surely it will be lot better than Japanese makes."

What are you on, and where can I get some? :P
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    Before the joint effort by GM & Ford for the new 6-speed, which is not being used in the CX-9, Ford was using an Aisin 6-speed in the Fusion and Five Hundred anyway. Hyundai is also sourcing a 6-speed transmission from Aisin for the Veracruz.
    ...whatever it is, I certainly don't need it.
  • music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    I posed a question to which I've just found the answer via the "Chat" service on the Mazda website. The middle row seats in the CX-9 recline only 4" in three increments. This is disappointing because our former minivans all had fully reclining middle and back row seats. (You have to shepherd two teenagers to understand that they need to be able to sleep at every opportunity! LOL!) I've noticed this annoying characteristic on the Freestyle, the GM cuv's (Outlook, Acadia) and I don't understand why this flexiblity is missing.

Any comments? I'm seriously considering wainting for the upcoming Chrysler '08 minivan update. Other than the unavailablity of xenon headlights and awd I don't think I'm missing anything...and the "mommy-mobile" label doesn't mean anything to me either!

Jay
  • jkr2106jkr2106 Member Posts: 248
    actually i think HID headlights will be available :shades: link title
  • redroverdogredroverdog Member Posts: 12
    Do any of you know when the CX-9 is going to be in dealers? And what is the order time if you were to order one now?
    I checked with two dealers in BayArea (Hayward and Menlo Mazda) and mentioned it that they might have it on early next week (16th).
  • maddmikemaddmike Member Posts: 12
    I'm also hearing they'll be on the floors in two weeks (around Jan 22).

If you choose one from the projected delivery list you can have it by the end of the month.

If you order one you'll wait a month. If you want the power rear door they won't arrive until April.
    Over here in New England, I am not expecting my first allocation until week 2 of February.
    thanks for the answers!
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    For those of you who are waiting....CX-9 brochures have arrived.
  • brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    I assume if I signed up with Mazda for info and stuff they will send one to me...or are you saying you would be willing to mail one out to me?

Thanks,
    B.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Or maybe Mazda would prefer that you go to the dealer in person to grab a brochure. Don't forget your checkbook, just in case. ;)
  • 07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    Even though the Cx-9's have been at the Port about 10 miles away for over 3 weeks now, a salesman said they won't get them for 2 more weeks.

Nice brochure.

As has been discussed before the "Touring Assistance Package" and the "Grand Touring Assistance Package" are listed for Spring delivery.

The options, "Alarm system" and "Rearview Camera System with Auto dimming mirror display" are listed for late availability.
    I just spoke with my dealer. According to him, only the PLG (power lift gate) will be late availablity. The alarm and rearview camera will be late availablity only as a dealer installed option. Our GT CX-9 will, in fact have these options factory installed when it's delivered next month. It's cruising as we speak on the Pacific Ocean. (Please, let there be no more rough seas acting on Mazda ships!)
  • 07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    According to him, only the PLG (power lift gate) will be late availablity.

and what packages do you think the Power Hatch is part of????????????????????????????????????????
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    It's my understanding that vehicles are being produced with the package, less the PLG.

Who knows for SURE? I really would like to hear from that person, including support for their statement.
    Sheesh, 07xle, chill! :)
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The pwr lift gate is not available on early CX-9...The package has been revised to avoid shipping/launch delays..All orders that included the PLG were re-configured by the factory to eliminate the PLG but still includes all other features.

This applies to December and Jan. production (feb & Mar arrival) but I don't have solid info on a possible ETA of the PLG other than later in the model year....
    The PLG has been taken out of the package it was in, so you will still get nav
  • elonghelongh Member Posts: 4
    My Mazda rep. picked her CX-9 up from Midilothian(sp?) yesturday and drove it up to our dealership to show us it and let us take a drive in it. Was just a GT with a few options on it (bose/6dic/moonroof). It drives nicer then the new Lincoln MKX, interior is nicer, and the bluetooth is very easy to use and setup. My only concern was the 3rd row seating, there did not seem to be very much room in it, but guess we will see. It has been worth the wait, thats for sure.

As far as dealerships getting the first ones, no one will have one untill every dealership has atleast one that is ready for every single dealership in the us (3700?).
  • maddmikemaddmike Member Posts: 12
    I've been for two lengthy test drives in a CX-9 (passenger only since it was a fully loaded GT production mock-up). The engine performance and the zoom-zoom handling were a lot of fun. I'm just concerned about the engine lifespan which we probably won't know anything about for a few years. Any insight someone might have would be nice to know about.

I’ve started a new thread under the 2007 Mazda CX-9 for the Duratec 35.

elongh - I'm 6 foot and the 3rd row seat was roomy enough that I wouldn't mind a 90 minute ride. My knees weren't that far above my hips which made it fairly comfortable. The really great part is that all 7 seats get a full 3 point seat belt. If you plan on using all three rows for the family you'll probably want to get the roof lugage rack since there's not that much room in the back with the 3rd row in play.
    Today I got a quote from a Fremont Mazda for CX-9 GT with Nav and DVD for $1000 below MSRP. Due to high interest on this vehicle Bay Area dealers aren't willing to sell at invoice pricing. I am going to wait for a month or two for the hype to settle down.

Has anyone got any quotes or better deal?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We just started up a pricing discussion for the CX-9. Maybe we can get the new owners (and quote-getters) to post in there? Thanks, here's the link:

Mazda CX-9: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    My wife and I took a CX-9 Grand Touring out this morning and I was quite impressed. To my eye, it was far better looking than the GM Lambas and it was much more fun to drive, along with being equally quiet. My complaints were that with this model's 20" tires, the ride could use a bit more compliance for my taste and the fuel mileage is not the best. I'm going to try I Sport version this week to see if the tires make much of a difference in the ride. Although we're not quite ready to pull the trigger on one of these, my wife's comment as we left was - "the Mazda was better than the Outlook," so it's a least in the running.
  • lazyace13lazyace13 Member Posts: 15
    rmanke, I'm wondering if a dealer would swap out the 20"s for 18"s on a GT and if so, whether it would make that much of a difference in the ride? Since you were able to drive one, how exactly would you describe the ride and what you mean by "a bit more compliance" Thanks, Ace
    Although there was not a lot of noise being transmitted into the cabin on rough roads, my wife, the salesman who was with us and I all believed it road quite roughly. Later in the day the salesman emailed thanking us for the time and said he tried the Sport version they had and it road more smoothly. I'll be giving that a try Wednesday. If you're into leather and some of the nicer interior touches, the Touring might be a good compromise. For the us, the Sport with the Sunroof/Bose package could work for us. The main reason we drove the GT was that it was an AWD version (which is what we're after) and the Sport was FWD. Obviously every person is different, but I felt the CX-9 had it all over the Edge and it felt far less truck like than the Outlook and Acadia. When you try one yourself, you may be OK with the ride and I must say it was quiet. Finally, despite the fact that I couldn't push it hard through any turns as it was starting to snow fairly hard, the steering had a good feel to also.
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    This is what CanadianDriver editor Greg Wilson had to say. I was wondering about swapping to 18" also...

I mostly drove the GS with the 18-inch tires and the ride was firm over poor pavement - I don't think it was the tires. The GT with the 20-inchers didn't seem a lot worse. Greg Wilson
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    It's important to check tire pressure. Some dealers fail to do this, resulting in factory-set 40 psi or more.
    Good point on the tire pressure as the two CX-9's came in the afternoon before we tried the GT. Unfortunately, the temperature was about 10 F with a 20+mph wind and I wouldn't have messed with tire pressure at that point.
  • sailor55sailor55 Member Posts: 3
    I plan to replace my 2000 Sable wagon with the CX-9. Priorities are 1) taking windsurfers to the beach 2) coffee cup to work and 3) family on trips. Does AWD make sense? How does added weight and complexity affect reliability and gas mileage?
  • brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    Good find. I like the fact they give you pictures of both the GS and GT, it really gives a good idea of the looks and difference between getting leather or not. It bugs me often manufacturers don't put pictures of the lower models only the top of the line models on their websites.

I am impressed with the GS model, not much different. I am not crazy about the Red illumination, not a fan, prefer white or blue, love the illumination on my TSX.

B.
  • k1922k1922 Member Posts: 14
    I test drove the GT CX-9 and loved it. It's very comfortable and luxurious on the interior of the vehicle. I did quite a lot of research prior to test driving. The salesperson at the Mazda dealership provided me a lot of helpful information from Mazda--including the demographics of the CX-9. She had just come from a CX-9 training. The demographics: Age 30-50/Married/Two children/College Educated with average income of $105,000. I found this to be quite interesting. Placed a deposit on a CX-9 coming into the dealership. Great experience overall. So refreshing to work with an intelligent female!
  • cobraboy1cobraboy1 Member Posts: 69
    I recieved a message that people wanted to know about there being a possiblility of bluetooth or something similar available for the CX-9. and yes there will be available options for hands free wireless phone useage on the CX-9.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Thanks Cobra.

Did I miss it on the website, or was it still being ironed out at press time?

Also, I'm seeing no availability yet on local lots other than one or two Sport models. Any idea when there will be some Grand Tourings out there to sample?

Thanks again.
    Never mind that spec question! I went back to the website and found it. I hadn't seen the side task slider to let me scroll down the spec sheet!

So it's standard on the GT. Coolio.

The only other thing she's interested in (as of today) is a Q7. I'm thinking we can come in on the Mazda at about, ummmm, half.

The heart says "Audi". The head says, "zoom zoom"...
    The things that killed the Q7 for me were the lousy third row and the eensy weensy spare tire thingy that needs to be inflated before you can drive it at 45 mph! My dealer said we can hang a full size spare under the CX-9. (Mine is somewhere between Tacoma and Cleveland. It's showing on the dealer inventory via the MazdaUSA website!)

Jay
    Probably good points.

I don't really need the third row much, and in nearly thirty years of driving, I've used my spare once as a spare, and the rest of the time to facilitate rotating my tires at home (I don't own any jack stands)! :blush:

I like the price and look of the 9, but the choice isn't mine, as I'm not the poor thing stuck driving a crossuv. That'd be my pretty Mrs., who in spite of my gentle prodding in the direction of a great sport wagon (which would suit our needs admirably) maintains that sitting up a little higher is a priority in her life.

I bow to her desires...