Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Climate Control

mikeraemikerae Member Posts: 1
I have dual heat control for driver and passenger. Problem is my side blows heat all the time regardless of setting. You can turn the temperature on both to coolest setting. You reach across and feel the air coming from the vent on the passenger side its cool. The drivers side is screaming hot.
Any ideas?
Truck is a 2003 1500HD LT Silverado 4x4.
Thanks in advance - Mike

Comments

• brianc9brianc9 Member Posts: 1
    My '04 is actually at the dealership for this same problem right now.

They tell me over the phone that the problem is/was the door control mechanism on the driver side temp control. I'm guessing that this is a fancy new term to describe the temp sensor not activating the hot/cold doors when the thermostat in the cab called for more or less heat or cold.
  • hdman2hdman2 Member Posts: 1
    I have this problem as well. I asked the dealer to fix it once. They messed around for an hour, then told me all was well. Worked for about a week. Now I am out of warranty. Does anyone know what the GM line is on re-do's of warranty repairs that did not take- after you cross the 3/36 mark?
    Thanks,
    Don
  • jvajajvaja Member Posts: 2
  • jvajajvaja Member Posts: 2
    I have a '93 silverado and I keep going through heater cores. I've replaced it at least six times, some as little as two months in between them. I am being told that it caused by a stray electrical current, something not grounded right. I have pulled the fuses one at a time and checked for currrent in the radiator, but it still is there. I can't seem to locate where it is coming from. Can anyone help me with this??
  • bfbchevybfbchevy Member Posts: 3
    My 95 Silverado blower motor has finally stopped after some days working and some days not. Once it came on it would run all day until I turn off the engine. But, when I started it back up there was no air coming from the vents again. Hours later or the next day or two, it would come on again. Until, last week. I've replaced the blower motor (passenger side underneath dash), resistor (behind the glove compartment), and checked ALL fuses left of driver and under the hood, and still the blower motor does not run. A/C comes on but no air from any of the vents on any settings, heat, a/c, defrost, floor, vents, or combination. Anybody out there who has any advice, please help, ITS HOT, I'm listening.

Single dad of 2 children,
    on a tight budget.
  • cisawcisaw Member Posts: 1
    My 95 GMC Serrea AC will not blow cold air. The pressure is right in the system. The compressor run right. The air does get colder when running at freeway speeds but warms up at lower speeds.
  • momwagmomwag Member Posts: 14
    Similar problem in GMC Sierra was solved by replacing the A/C control module in the dash. It is a circuit board that cracks easily and causes this problem.
  • kayakking1kayakking1 Member Posts: 2
    I have an A/C problem that only acts up occasionally. The A/C will only come out of the floor and sides and not out of the front vents and when the A/C is turned off it makes a noise that almost sounds like grinding. When the A/C works it doesn't make any sound and everything works fine, and blows nice and cold. Please and suggestions. Thanks in advance.
  • damnyankeegadamnyankeega Member Posts: 1
    Hi, hope someone can help me. My Odyssey van sometimes makes a loud "whoo, whoo, whoooo" noise, almost like a car alarm. It does it intermittently and I think it has something to do when my AC is working. It usually happens a few seconds after I turn off my car, sometimes I'll hear a short low pitched "whup" while driving but rare. One dealer could not reproduce it but said it is normal for the air/ ac filters (?) to make a noise like this. Went to another dealer and they want to charge me a $70 diagnostic fee if they are unable to reproduce. I have been trying to reproduce b/f I send it back to dealer so they can hear it but it is intermittent. Any ideas? Thank you for your help!
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    You inadvertantly found the Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra pickup section. Try these links for an answer to your Oduyssey questions:

Honda Odyssey care and Maintenance
    Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions (2005+ Models)

kcram - Pickups Host
  • kayakking1kayakking1 Member Posts: 2
  • hondahahondaha Member Posts: 1
    Did you get his problem fixed? Mine is doing the same thing and I just went over 36,000, I took it to the closest dealer several months ago and they gave me their famous line "we couldn't duplicate the problem".
    If you know what they did to fix it and don't mind let know.
    Thanks
  • yzguy1988yzguy1988 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2004 chevy silverado reg cab 4x4 with the 5.3 V-8. I am having difficulty finding the cabin air filter to replace it. does anyone know where the damn thing is?

thanks
    A.J.
  • rgollarrgollar Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 silverado 1500 truck. My question is when i turn the blower motor off for my heat i still heat it running like its still on low. And it still blows a little. Was hoping someone had any ideas of what is going on. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  • rgollarrgollar Member Posts: 2
  • seewoodyseewoody Member Posts: 7
    check and make sure that your body to frame grounding strap (it is usually a flat non-insulated braided cable) is not broken or corroded. Mine is under the heater hose area connected near the starter. If you can't find it, then install one. More ten one is O/K.
    Less then one can may lead to this and other odd problems. Don't give up on her. She is only truckan. Get it? Human?-Truckan? Seriously. After 10 yrs, My 96 is running better then new. No thanks to the dealer (Warnock).
  • porkchop1500porkchop1500 Member Posts: 1
    Around 75,000 miles my 2004 1500 EXT Silverado 4x4 was blowing heat from driver and passenger side regardless of the settings. Took it into the dealership they replaced the fan clutch for $341.17 on 1/8/07. Now today I noticed the driver side has A/C but the passenger side is blowing hot again.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
  • ahoronahoron Member Posts: 30
    I have a 2002 the filter is located under the dash near the middle. There is 1 screw that holds a L-shaped cover the screw is located near the firewall. It has foam on it to seal the housing and it is about 1"x6".After you remove it the filter is inside it 2 parts. Only some models have a filter I think the ones with ac. hope this helps.
  • iowahunteriowahunter Member Posts: 3
    Mike,
    I have 03 Silverado LS, and I am having the same problem except the passenger side is hot and the driver controls work. They tried replacing the control panel (Very easy to get to) no luck. They then went into the dash and said that there is a door that is ran by a actuator and that the door was broke and would not open or close or anything because of the way it is broke. Here's the kicker, they wanted $886.00 to replace it!!! Needless to say it is back home and I am trying to find out how hard this is to fix myself. If anyone has any suggestions, please, please let me know.
    Thanks Folks!!!
  • dan312dan312 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2003 Chev Sivverado 2500 Duramax,
    Only 44000, Noticed the heater blows cold air on an intermintent basis? The dealer witnessed this but can find nothing wrong.
    Says he has no bulletins except one on the air conditioner
    any ideas?
    Also would yu purchase an extedded warnety??
  • dan312dan312 Member Posts: 2
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Get one from GM. You can price shop it between dealers as any GM dealer is authorized to sell it.
  • erschaeffererschaeffer Member Posts: 4
    what is wrong with my 2004 gmc 1500 pick-up, i only have one setting of five on my cotrol module that i just replaced for my heater. is there something that i have not tried yet? i am in alaska where is not a dealership around. my options are limited to where i can bring it. thank you, fm, losing hope on my gmc
  • mossfivemossfive Member Posts: 4
  • mossfivemossfive Member Posts: 4
    My 1993 Chevy's air is leaking from the low side hose port. It has already been converted to r134. Does anybody know how to replace the hoses or is there a way to fix the port?
  • biggtbiggt Member Posts: 4
    I have a 97 1500 with same problem. The fan only works on high. The guy I bought it from replaced the control module and I still only have high. I heard that the fan relay switch may need replacing. $24.00 part. I'll let you know if this fixes it.
    i found out the problem on my blower motor. the blower motor resistor was fried. the part cost me 45.00 and now all the heat settings work fine.
    Is that he same as the fan relay switch? If not where was the blower motor resistor found on the truck? Thanks....
    the resistor is located under the glove compartment. mine was mounted right on the fan. there should be a big cover underneath the glove compartment, right about where your feet are. take the cover off and the resistor is right on the fan motor. there should be two wires to a plug in in the fan motor.
  • jconleyjconley Member Posts: 2
    does anyone know what would cause an a/c vent to knock when the ignition is turned to run or off?
  • jconleyjconley Member Posts: 2
  • aboo155aboo155 Member Posts: 2
    i'm trying to swap the manual climate control in 2001 silverado over to automatic climate control. Does anyone know if this is possible, and where I would get the parts to do it?
    I have never tried this. I just replaced my manual climate control unit. I would assume if you have an automatic unit with the same wiring interface, you could swap them. Most of the "brains" of the auto unit shoudl be self-contained.

good luck
  • zulalazulala Member Posts: 1
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab 5.3. If I start my truck with the thermostat dial set on cold (far left), the AC works great. If I turn the thermostat to the right (full heat) for even a second, and then go back to cold (far left), it continues to put out full heat no matter what the settings. Blower works fine on all five settings. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the temperature selector on the dash.

Any help much appreciated

Alan
  • jarmstrojarmstro Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 chevy truck and the clutch is out on the AC compressor. Is this something the average Joe can replace? I bought a replacement part already and now I'm wondering how to replace it.
  • brs2brs2 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same year make and model truck. My ac blows sometimes and won't blow on any level other times. Did you get your ac fixed and was it the fan relay switch?
    Is this switch in the dash?
    Is it hard to replace yourself?
    thanks for any help you can give me,
    TEXAS HEAT
    My problem was the fan only blew on high, AC or heat. Sounds like you have an more "intermitent" problem. Try these two things:

1) Replace fan relay switch behind the glove box. Black square box 1"x1", with a 4 wire housing connector.

2) Replace the blower motor resisitor. Below glove box, at feet, attached to the top of the air duct, right next to the blower motor.

These are easy fixes and most good parts stores have them in stock. I used PepBoys and Fischers. Good luck!

BTW, my fan works perfect now.
  • firestinefirestine Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 1996 GMC Sierra 1500 with 240k that runs great, but needs a little work.

One issue I am trying to solve is that the vents only work on defrost. I don't hear anything when I switch it to the front vents or any other setting. What could this be caused by? Is it the AC control head or something else under the dash?

More importantly, I have no heat or AC coming out of the defrost vents. Where should I start to diagnose this problem?

Any leads or direction would be much appreciated. The Chilton's/Haynes manuals offer no guidance here.
  • firestinefirestine Member Posts: 2
    Okay, I found an actuator on the driver's side that appears to control the vents. A plastic part connecting the actuator to the shaft is broken off, leaving the actuator hanging. Now that I know where it is, I'm set.

On the other issue, the hoses leading into the firewall and the heater box are hot, leading me to believe that the problem may be with a blend door. I saw another actuator behind the dashboard on the passenger side. Does this actuator control a door allowing air to enter the heater box? Could the actuator be bad or could something be blocking the door?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I'd like to know what I'm getting into when I tear the sucker apart. Thanks!
  • 200448200448 Member Posts: 4
    Help, I have a 2004 4.8, and while driving(hot or cold) the air turns to heat and nothing will stop it until the engine restarts. This is happenning almost daily now, which is bad since it is summer.
  • le7jale7ja Member Posts: 1
    If anyone has a fix to this problem let me know, because my 2005 Yukon started doing a similar thing a week ago. I have tri-climate in the car and with the AC on the drivers air is hot and the other two zones are cold. Like the above post mine resets after turning the car off and back on. Conveniently the warranty has expired 2,000 miles ago. Sounds like some kind of relay tripping or getting stuck but reseting itself on restart(Just like the Longbow).
  • elfonsecaelfonseca Member Posts: 1
    can anyone offer a solution to a knocking sound coming from a vent at the bottom of my heater box? It happens every time I turn the ignition on or off and when I turn on the A/C.
  • trogers1029trogers1029 Member Posts: 1
    Ok... I wish I could add a solution to some of your problems on here... but I can't, so I'll just add my own problem...

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500, 5.3 extended cab. About a month ago I noticed that the AC would only blow cold air at higher speeds, above 40 mph. I recharged the system, that didn't help any. Now yesterday, of all days (it's hit 90 degrees here in MA yesterday), it starts to blow hot air all the time.

I see some similar problems on this thread, has anyone come close to finding a fix for this... ????? Just a thought, as I know alot of dealerships will probably say "we will have to see it before we can tell you what's wrong with it", but has anyone tried asking a dealership about this problem..?

Thanks for your advice and suggestions,
    Tony...
  • jwerner145jwerner145 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 04 CHEVY SILVERADO. The a/c is cold when more air is flowing through the engine or the rpm's are higher. I did some net surfing to find out the the trailblazer has a similar problem. The fan clutch needs to be replaced. Alalso wondering if thats the problem with the silverado. or do i need to replace my clutch fan with an eletric fan. If any one can help please do.
  • natedog172natedog172 Member Posts: 2
    My ac stopped working properly. 1-4 on the control panel work fine, but when i turn the knob to 5 it shuts off. Its like i might as well of turned it off. When i turn it back to 4 or lower it works fine. Whats going on?
    That's because a diode stopped functioning in the a/c control panel...or was that resistor...nope I believe it was diode.
  • natedog172natedog172 Member Posts: 2
    So I look on ebay or something and get a new control panel and be done with it?
    That's exactly what I did. The panel is easy to replace. Plug and play. The diode is easy and much cheaper if you are handy with a soldering iron and are familiar with Radio Shack. In fact that's how the dealer would repair it.

While searching for a replacement on ebay make sure you do not get the panel for the Denali or Escalade. I thought it was a good idea to get it since those have variable fan settings...something like 15 making for more fan speed choices and looks identical to the one in the Silverado. Course when I pulled the one in the Silverado, the plug configuration was not the same. Lucky for me I also have a Denali.
  • marko1125marko1125 Member Posts: 1
    I have an extended cab '99 silverado and my vents all of a sudden quit working. The fan is blowing fine but no air comes out of the front vents, and very little from the defrost vents. There is more air from the floor and in the back seat the vents work fine. What would be causing this?

I also had a similar problem to someone else on here, saying that there 5 setting would not work, but on the 4 setting the AC worked fine. However, the next day everything is back to normal, so I guess I'll leave that for now being this no longer seems to be a problem.

If anyone could help me out here, that would be great.
  • metal81metal81 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '03 xcab...dual climate control system...even with fan on high air just barely blows through vents...it's cold air just not forceful...any replies appreciated :confuse: