Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Rondo

wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569

Comments

• wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    http://www.whatcar.com/news-special-report.aspx?NA=219375

Of course, the North American version has yet to be seen, but it should be pretty close to this. Hope they do a re-think on the name, though. What's up with "Rondo"?
    The "whatcar" preview mentions a 2 litre 4 cyl as well as the requisite diesels for the European market. I'm hoping for North America that they put in the new Optima's 2.4l 4cyl with 5 speed auto combination, as this will better the Mazda5's power (161 hp/163 lb/ft torque), # of gears(5), and if the Optima's mileage is any indication (24/34 US or 29/40 imperial), it will better the Mazda5's fuel economy as well.
    Here's a gallery for the whatcar preview. The European version should be fairly close the the version we will get (the Korean version gets a different front end).
    http://www.whatcar.com/popups/gallery.aspx?NA=219375&EL=3155229
    TOV is mentioning that the Honda Latitude (that was supposed to be here years ago) may finally be in the cards for North America, as a new Stream is imminent for the Japanese market. So people in the market for a small, efficient, multi-space vehicle may soon have a choice of 3:
    Rondo, Mazda5 or Latitude!
    Vince Burlap/Hollywood extra has some pics of the Korean version. The exterior is nothing to write home about, though the European/North American versions do look a little better than the Korean one. The interior looks well done, however, and overall, it should provide the Mazda5 (and Honda's Stream/Latitude, if we ever get it) with some good competition.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    any idea of the exterior dimensions?
    In Korean spec., 1-3" taller than the Mazda5, 2" wider than the '5', though the '5' is about 2" longer. (The length spec. may be misleading, for when they fit bumpers to our North American crash protection standards, the length of the Rondo will probably increase by a couple of inches). Suffice to say, it's about the same as the mazda5, only a little wider and taller. (180l/72w/66h)
    This time, the 'Euro' version, which should be more or less identical to what we'll get in North America, savwe for the powertrains.
    http://www.repubblica.it/2004/b/motori/gallerie/kia/carens2/carens2.html
  • jtzjtz Member Posts: 37
    Which is bigger Sportage or Rondo?
    What is its towing capacity?
    Does it have an optional power liftgate?
    Will it have an optional DVD?
    Will it have memory seatings?
    If the Rondo is bigger than Sportage, why will Kia be selling the Rondo for less?
    Why is the Rondo in the same class as the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe? Where does that put the Spectra 5?
    What are all its colors?
    Dodge just came out with a new vehicle, is that model in the same class as the Rondo?
    Why is this more like a P.T Cruiser and not like a Pacifica?

I know all these questions will not get answered; however, I want to know more about this model.
    Which is bigger Sportage or Rondo?
    Rondo is 8-9" longer, an inch wider and about the same height
    What is its towing capacity?
    Don't know at this point
    Does it have an optional power liftgate?
    Doubtful
    Will it have an optional DVD?
    Doubtful
    Will it have memory seatings?
    Don't know
    If the Rondo is bigger than Sportage, why will Kia be selling the Rondo for less?
    Don't know the price, but it should be competetive
    or maybe even less than the Mazda5, it's main competition
    Why is the Rondo in the same class as the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe?
    It's somewhat larger than the Matrix/Vibe and offers 7 seats
    Where does that put the Spectra 5?
    Spectra5 is a 5-door hatch, 5 seater, car-type vehicle
    Rondo/Carens is a 5-7 seater "crossover"
    What are all its colors?
    Don't know but you can check the Korean website for what's available there
    Dodge just came out with a new vehicle, is that model in the same class as the Rondo?
    Sort of, but the Caliber doesn't offer seating for 7
    Why is this more like a P.T Cruiser and not like a Pacifica?
    I'd say it's more like a Pacifica, only more compact.
    Will the American version have dual exhaust?

Is the 3rd row seating designed for just children or children and adults? (are they comfortable for adults?)

Like the 07' Sante Fe, will the Rondo have rain sensing wipers?
    The fronts of the Korean and European versions look different. (The European version looks better to me) will the Rondo look like Europe's or will it also have a different face?
    I seen on photo what appears to be skylight. Not like the Multi-S but more like another sunroof. I need another person's opinion. In addition, if this is a sunroof will it be aimed to N. America?

http://motoring.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=1828&fPicId=84567
    All questions to be answered by Kia in the upcoming months, I guess. The Rondo should be here by late 2006/early 2007. I would imagine we'll get the "Euro" front end...it does look better. The 3rd row was designed to fit persons 1.8 m tall (I beleive that's 6'), so like the Mazda5, adults will fit in the 3rd row but it's probably more comfortable for kids. It should be out in Europe by Sept., so perhaps more info will trickle through then.
  • starlightmicastarlightmica Member Posts: 58
    New Kia Carens website (Korea)

Dimensions are length 4545mm/179", wheelbase 2700mm/106", height 1650mm/65", width 1570mm/71.6". Curb weight is between 1563-1642kg/3400-3600lbs with domestic market 2.0L gas & diesel engines. The NA version is supposed to have 2.4L I4 and 2.7L V6 engines.

Compared to Mazda5: 2" shorter, 1" shorter wheelbase, 1" taller, 2.6" wider, rougly a few to 100lbs heavier.
    Since you found this info from the www.kia.co.kr website, what is the fuel economy of the 07 Amanti, Sorento and Rondo/Carens?

How much hp does the 07 Amanti have? I heard it has 262 horses ,but I am not certain.
  • starlightmicastarlightmica Member Posts: 58
    The only thing I was able to get off the web site were the metric numbers, and convert them to English - sorry. I can't ready any language besides English. :(
  • huffkiamomhuffkiamom Member Posts: 5
    I'm not sure if anyone is still following along on this forum, but I have been trying to dig up info on the Carens/Rondo (hate that name) and stumbled across the UK site the other day. I'm not sure how to post URLs here, but here is the addy: http://www.kia.co.uk/carenshome.asp?flash=true

Hope to hear more on the estimated MPG soon.
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    Saturday (Nov 11) I stumbled upon a rather nice looking mini-minivan at the Kia dealer they had just received. It is called the Ronda. The very spacious interior layout was looked great, power is a 2.4L engine, & it had a full suite of safety features including 6 airbags, ABS, traction control, & dynamic stability control all for a little over $18K. My inital impression was very positive.

See Mazda5 vs Kia Rondo for more recent posts.
    Couple of pics up on Kia Canada's website now....
    http://www.kia.ca/home.asp?lang=en
    plus a preview article on the Auto123/Canadian Automotive Network site....
    http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,KIA.spy?artid=72406
  • herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    Haven't seen any at my local dealership, but I did see an ad in the Chicago Tribune for a Kia dealership saying "Kia Rondo - Order Yours Now!"
  • odmanodman Member Posts: 309
    Hi Wheelz4 - I just posted two of those reviews in the Minivan Shopping board before coming over here to see you already had. I was impressed by the favourable reviews and the preference they had for the 4-cylinder over the V6. I am curious to go see one.

Like you, I am left wondering where the heck the Latitude/Wish are. Come on guys, it's not like we haven't been telling you for half a bloody decade to get with the program!!!
    Hi Odman! I think, basically, we're looking for the same type of vehicle. In one of the reviews I read (not sure if it's one of the ones posted), the reviewer did mention that competition would/should be coming and he mentioned Honda and a version of their revised Stream, but I haven't heard anything official yet. I agree, it seems like we've been waiting for these type of vehicles forever!
  • mofamwagonmofamwagon Member Posts: 3
    Looks like I may finally be able to replace my '95 mitsubishi expo! Looked at the Mazda 5 when it came out, but it had far less useful interior space. Plus, it only seated 6, not 7. The Rondo has my hopes up!
  • dakota29803dakota29803 Member Posts: 56
    Last Monday, I went over to Augusta, GA to look at the Rondo. It looked good to me in the Canadian newspaper reviews, so I wanted to see one in person. I had no intention of buying one. However, after looking and test driving, I bought an EX (I-4 engine). I have only driven it about 125 miles, and so far it is great. I think it drives and handles better than the Jeep 2004 Liberty that I traded in. The Rondo has more usable space than the Jeep and it does not seem as twitchy as the jeep. I am driving to Myrtle Beach, SC on Monday and will see how good the mileage is on a Rondo that is not broken in yet.
  • dakota29803dakota29803 Member Posts: 56
    On Monday, I drove my new Rondo to Myrtle Beach, a round trip of about 450 miles. I filled up just before I left and again 266 miles later with 10.1 gallons, for a mileage on that segment of 26.3 mpg. That is better than my Jeep Liberty got at 15,000 miles on the interstate. That 266 miles was about 125 miles of interstate, 100 miles of 4 lane highway through towns with speed limits from 35 to 60 with lots of speed changes. The remainder was in cities.
    The Rondo handled well on the highway with good stability even when being passed by semis. So far I am very happy with my Rondo experience.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    Glad you asked that as I would like to know too as I should be in a position to purchase during the 2008 model year.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    After attending the chat last week with KIA's Len Hunt, I'm pretty interested in taking a look at the Rondo. I'll let you know what I think.
    Can't wait to hear your impressions....
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    My biggest challenge has been finding a dealership as there aren't any within 45 minutes of me. That could be an issue.
  • bookhudbookhud Member Posts: 9
    I took a short drive of the Rondo on Saturday, and I have to say that I'm impressed. Room and view were good. The I4 was quieter than those in the Versa and Rav4 I have driven recently. I drove the 5 passenger and there was great room in the back seat and plenty of storage behind the 2nd row, including under floor bins that looked very handy. I'm looking forward to seeing and trying the V6 and 7 passenger. This is definitely on the short list to replace my Chrysler Pacific when the lease is up in a couple months.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    In the info book on the Rondo, the turning circle stat is listed as follows:

I4, 16" wheel: 39.6 ft
    I4, 17" wheel: 39.6 ft (I presume, not clear)
    V6, 16" wheel: 34.4 ft
    V6, 17" wheel: 36.1 ft

So if you want a tight turning circle, go LX V6 ?
    The Rondo has gotten very positive press north of the border, and one reviewer was so impressed that he bought one for his family. He chose the EX V6 Luxury model and is particularly impressed with its handling.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/driving/story.html?id=990e6f06-2203-4790- -b3da-90885350085e
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Talk with Ian Beavis – Vice President of Marketing of Kia Motors of America about building the Kia brand in the U.S. Get exclusive takes from an industry leader about Kia's quality, safety, product development and globalization in the automotive marketplace.

Don't miss your chance to chat with Ian Beavis, a veteran in the automotive industry the inside questions you want to know.

Please join us for this live chat with Ian Beavis – Vice President of Marketing of Kia Motors of America tonight from 6-7pm PT, 9-10pm ET
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Does anyone know if the underfloor storage system is still there for Rondo models equipped with the 3rd-row seat?
    The Rondo package sounds pretty compelling, and I plan to learn more. I have no problems with the Kia brand, being a current satisfied owner of a largely trouble-free 2002 Sedona minivan. At the $20-23k price point, I am shopping a new Rondo (probably EX V6) vs. year-old Ford Freestyle AWD and Buick Rendezvous AWD. Haven't compared in person or reviewed the tale of the tape, but both those vehicles are likely to have much more interior room - people AND cargo - and both offer all wheel drive which is a huge selling point for me. Even with AWD, the fuel economy ratings are only 2-3 mpg less than the V6 Rondo which is not a huge difference.

The other 'competitor' in my personal face-off is a new 2006 Sedona minivan. With the $4,000 rebate and apparently some additional unpublished incentives, a new 2006 Sedona EX could be had for $20-26k depending on equipment. That is a really good deal. Aside from slightly worse fuel economy (assuming both vehicles' EPA ratings are equal to, or equally far from, reality) and less nimble handling / lower fun-to-drive factor, the Sedona seems superior in most respects.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    In viewing photos of the European Carens, it appears that the underfloor storage system is a bit smaller on those equipped with the 3rd-row seat.

I'm considering the Rondo as well, but will go with the Theta 2.4L DOHC Inline 4. There's simply not sufficient difference between the HP and Torque specs of the V6 to go with it, especially since it still uses timing belts, and the inherent maintenance cost penalties. I've driven both the 4 and the 6, and the 4 is fine for my use.
    Good feedback, thanks. Sticking with the 4-cylinder would keep the price down by a grand. I did not realize the 6 has a timing belt and the 4 does not.

I haven't studied the configurations closely yet; are there any V6-exclusive options, or can every option be ordered on the 4-cyl EX?
    This was a red EX V6, MSRP $23,5xx.

Pluses:
    Overall, nice vehicle.

Can't believe they squeezed a somewhat usable 3rd row seat in this car. I'm 5'9" and could spend 2 hours riding back there, although I'd rather not.

Nice materials inside, both look and feel. Exceptions: digital clock looks outdated. Sun visor material felt/looked cheap. Leather was nice.

Powertrain felt smooth. Peppy V6.

Nice fold-down 3rd seat.

Nice storage cubbies in floor behind seat and throughout the cabin.

Nice flexibility with 2nd row seat moving fore-aft. I've come to take this feature for granted in our 2004 Chevy
    Malibu Maxx LT.

Sharp-looking exterior.

Heated front seats.

Nice Michelin MXV4 17" tires.

Great safety equipment. Unbelievable in a vehicle at this price point ($18-23k).

Firm ride, but not too firm.

Minuses:
    The fancy Infinity stereo didn't sound as good as I expected listening to one of my favorite CDs, james blunt.

No power driver's seat?! I thought I had read that this car had a power driver seat. Maybe it is optional, but I thought the tester I drove had all the options.

A little pricey with all these options. $23k is not the great value that a $19k Rondo offers.

Fuel economy ratings are so-so at 20 mpg city / 27 highway. That's no better than many full-blown minivans and marginally better than some larger crossover vehicles such as Ford Freestyle and Buick Rendezvous.

2nd row seat didn't fold very flat. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I don't see how the load floor can be flat. The 2nd row seat cushion is a lot higher than the 3rd row when 3rd row is folded.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I believe you flip forward the 2nd row seat bottoms before folding down the seatbacks.
    Makes sense, thanks.
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922

• viamedeviamede Member Posts: 26
    I hope the engine gets a boost and the interior gets some snappy design in addition to the chicken wire. ;)

Actually I would be happier to get the 47 mpg diesel in NA :cry:
    It debuts Thursday at the Chicago Auto Show. These two pictures are all that is available currently.
    Another positive review:
    http://wardsauto.com/testdrive/kia_rondo_fun/

Says Rondo is hoping for 20,000 units a year, which is optimistic given that the Mazda5 sold 17,109 units in 2006. Mazda sold 8,694 in Canada, which would be the equivalent of about 80,000 units in the US on a per-capita basis. Shows how much more popular it is there.
  • raderatorraderator Member Posts: 26
    Drove a base LX I4 today for over an hour. These are kinda ugly with black grill and mirrors and no roof rails. The EX or even the regular LX is nicer looking.

Very competent in every way, tho a bit boring. Engine, trans, handling and breaking are all flawless. Base CD player doesn't play mp3s (thought I test it to be sure). High seating seems very odd if you are used to regular car. Instruments are almost invisible when wearing sunglasses do to poor contrast.

I took it home and tested out its camping abilities using a chaz lounge cushion. You can sleep two people or one person and one large dog. Just shove the front seats all the way forward. If you are 6' or taller your feet will be unsupported (unless you sleep diagonally). But I had a brainstorm. Just pull off the headrests from the back seat and put them on backwards. This will give you and extra 6" of support. You can sit up without hitting your head on the roof. And the front seats go so far forward it creates a kind of a large well for your legs.
    I would have never thought of camping out like that. :)

I actually like the upright positioning for getting in and out of a vehicle. My parents will be looking for a new vehicles at some point. The high seating position, long storage space, good gas mileage, and low price would make it an excellent vehicle for them.