Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Real World MPG

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
What kind of mileage are you getting with your Fit?

Comments

• fitcoupefitcoupe Member Posts: 9
    My first half tank nearly identical results:

169 miles, 4.55 gallons = 37.1 mpg on a manual Sport

About 1/3 slow highway + 1/3 interstate, 1/3 town, some major
    hills, non-aggressive driving. 2007 EPA seems to be pretty spot-on, maybe even a bit conservative. I am hoping to push 40 mpg with pure highway driving. :D
  • bfleming1bfleming1 Member Posts: 2
    I got 35, mixed driving on my first tank
  • trickydick1936trickydick1936 Member Posts: 6
    First fill-up (VB, Sport AT) yielded 26.6 MPG. Not sure if we started with full tank (guage read full on delivery), but when we fueled, the guage now reads "over" full. We will have accurate tally on next fill up. All miles were in town (no freeway driving until after 600 miles).
  • dksmartindksmartin Member Posts: 7
    First tank: 255 miles, 6.91 gallons = 36.9 mpg on a manual Sport.

There were about 50 miles of city/local driving, 40 miles of windy country roads (averaging about 45 mph) and the rest was highway driving at between 50-65 mph. This tank also saw a drive up to the base of Mount Hood (total climb in elevation was about 3,500 - 4,000 feet). I do not drive aggressively.

Overall, very happy with the results.
  • johnnyb11johnnyb11 Member Posts: 50
    With mostly around town driving, some spirited, and with A/C on some of the time, my first tank came out to around 33.5 mpg. AFter having traded in an xB that promised 31-35, and could barely deliver 27, I am thrilled with 33.5, especially because the car is not nearly broken in (290 miles).
  • jbwestjbwest Member Posts: 16
    These figures are encouraging! Thanks, everybody, for sharing your fuel mileage experiences with us!

Could everyone please try to include, when you're posting your measured MPG, which model (Base or Sport) and transmission (manual [a.k.a. "5MT"] or auto [a.k.a. "5AT"]) you're driving? That'll make the information you provide that much more valuable to everyone. Thanks again! :)
  • missmungomissmungo Member Posts: 2
    First tankful on my Sport 5MT yielded just over 35 mpg. Used 8.5 US gal. in 299 mi. of mixed driving conditions: 1/5 stop&go around town, 2/5 country 2-lanes avg. 55 mph with many long climbs, 2/5 interstate avg. 70 mph.

I'm very, very happy!
  • grwilsongrwilson Member Posts: 2
    Before checking mileage, I topped up the tank on my Base model Fit with 5-speed manual. First half tank yielded just over 31 MPG. Roughly even mix of in-town, suburban, and interstate driving - mostly with the air conditioning on. Interstate speeds in West Virginia are 70 MPH (with some nice hills). I was not trying to conserve gas; just went with the flow of traffic.

This gas mileage represents a 59% improvement over the 9-year-old van I traded. I'm happy!
  • twoktwok Member Posts: 5
    From a mix of mostly interstate driving @ 65-75 with 30 percent hilly country roads @ 35-55 and city/suburban streets with lots of idling at lights and considerable traffic: results: 36.7. RPM's stay remarkably low and quiet, except when keeping up my speed on several miles -long hill climbs (over 1000ft elevation), when the tach revs to around 4000 at times as I keep up the 70-75 speed. I think I'll do a bit better when I revert to mainly interstate driving after the break-in period is over (prob. today will go over 600 miles). Forty MPG highway would be fantastic (and with an AT!). I spoke to a friend last night whose Prius gets considerably less on the highway. (in the city he says low to mid 40's - he has the first gen. Prius)
    Handling - comparable, perhaps better, than my old 140hp 93 SE-R with standard low-profile tires. I believe the best descriptive word for the handling would be "tossable". Fun even in parking lots. I dodged a bit of moving road debris on the highway at 70 plus and felt utterly secure. I look forward to quoting the Car and Driver emergency handling Fit test speed vis-a-vis the Corvette speed to someone, though perhaps not a Corvette owner. When Consumer Reports tests the Fit soon, I'll be curious to see what they have to say on this and other issues. Tires could be softer riding I suppose; but probably too expensive to change to diff. wheels?
    My first tank (mt sport) was 33.1, the second was 34.3 - both mixed driving - mostly local, non-highway - sometimes "spirited" sometimes easy going. If I can average 35 after break in, I will be thrilled. I'm loving this car.
  • johnd15johnd15 Member Posts: 41
    It's taken us 10 days to burn through one gas tank in our 5 spd manual Sport. The low fuel light just came on. Our Fit's taken us 319 miles on 8.9 gallons of OPEC's finest... so that's just under 36 MPG (35.9 to be exact). So towards the higher end of 33/38 rating. Not bad for mixed driving, maybe 2/3 city and 1/3 highway (around here 60 mph). Quite pleased as it should only get better as the engine breaks in & temps warm up.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    The first tank of gas (I'm not sure if it was full when the odo was at 0 or if they added gas later) but it appeared to be 32 mpg. Second tank, which was our one day commute (freeway speeds at 70 mph, when I could travel that fast) came out to 30 mpg - guess all that elevation gain comes at a bigger price than I had expected. We'll fill up tomorrow and get a better idea then. This one I've been keeping the speed down to 65 to see if that will make a difference. The Unlimited gets about 2 mpg more if you travel 65 instead of 70, and I'll be interested to see if the Fit does the same thing.
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    "mtngal", I apologize now for asking a stupid question, but "what in the heck is an 'Unlimited'?"
    The Unlimited is the long wheel base Wrangler (been out for a couple of years). You can imagine my delight with 30-35 mpg when I'm used to getting 17-18 if I'm lucky.
    3rd stop at the gas station this morning. The mpg came out to 39 - almost all highway miles, one short trip, speed kept to no more than 65, mostly going up or down hill (about 4,000 elevation difference, 2 round trips down and up). Is the huge difference due to city traffic or slowing down to 65? I'll know more in a couple of days - what a great feeling knowing I can go 2 whole days to work and back before visiting a gas station!
  • grwilsongrwilson Member Posts: 2
    I think slowing down to 65 makes the biggest difference. Backing off the pedal, my mileage jumped from 31 to 37 MPG. I suspect the important variable is engine RPM. My manual Fit turns about 3000 RPM at 60 and 3500 RPM at 70. 65 MPH seems like a good compromise. Now, I have little doubt this thing could hit 40 MPG if I worked at it a bit (turning off the air conditioner after dark, etc.)
  • shneorshneor Member Posts: 66
    Base Manual - Over the first 440 miles, 34.06 mpg. One long trip, 230 miles r/t, the rest commuter driving about 17 miles each way, 4/5 freeway. Tried to keep rpm under 4,000. Now I'm trying to keep rpm under 3,500. Have not used ac yet, but have kept a window open (more air resistance). Looks like you can do about 72mph at 3,500 rpm.
  • thatsmycallthatsmycall Member Posts: 54
    last estimate for 174 miles= 40.45mpg US; back and forth to town, wife drove some, running kids, errands, not many short trips, a lot of cc, mostly under 3400rpm, under 70, first/last part of trip 7miles pretty straight not many hills at 45-55, then highway 2-5 miles. Other 2 estimates 34.8 and 42.7. While these are not exact #s I am confident the fit can deliver stellar mileage with normal driving. For myself expect a lifetime range between 33-45. Looks really good and I am completely happy.
  • lecracklecrack Member Posts: 6
    I was floored when I filled up my tank for the first time since it came from the dealer this noon. I let it run until the gas light came on and was able to squeek out 340 miles. From the dealership this past Saturday, some highway, some aggressive driving, some city, I got 39.1 mpg! I was not expecting that at! WOW. I was thinking with a new engine, no steady speeds and the mix of driving it would be less. But 39.1mpg....that's AWESOME!!!! Very, very happy. :)
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    First tank was 31 mpg in almost entirely city and rush hour highway (stop/go). Second tank today with about 40% 70 mph cruising and the rest in city (or stop/go highway) driving was 34.5 mpg.
  • hondafamilyhondafamily Member Posts: 9
    I was a bit alarmed by the first tank. I filled up after about half a tank from the dealer. I have no idea if it was actually full or not, but my next tank, 8.xx gallons, I got only 27.5 mpg. I am unsure what happened, but on this new tank (only 423 miles on the car) things are looking better, more than 80 miles on less than a quarter tank, so I am excited what the milage will turn out to be.
  • suetersueter Member Posts: 15
    First fill up at 38.75 for mixed highway (65 max)/city/rural. Fuel light came on with 2 gallons left in tank.
  • carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    Hey Lecrack! Looks like you beat me getting your Fit! I still don't know when I will get one. The Dealer is still "Looking". I'm not in the midwest. According to the dealer "Fits are selling out nationwide". I realize this. But I am getting impatient.
  • kato1kato1 Member Posts: 64
    i think youll get a better read on your mileage by using up a whole tank, then doing a fill. how full you previously filled and how you top off the next tank will never be exactly the same, but by using up most of a tank you decrease the effect of those two uncertain variables. heck, you probably could have only used about 1 tank for 423 miles.
  • hondafamilyhondafamily Member Posts: 9
    That's a good call. i am going to run this one down until the low fuel light, then do a fill to get a better read.
    190 mile estimate = 37mpg US. All town, lots of small trips, pick up drop off, shopping, stopped in rush hour- 30min, side streets etc. Over all, since new, including initial run in, about 38.76.
  • hfounthfount Member Posts: 7
    I have a sport, manual transmission. With about 600 miles on it, I am barely averaging 32 miles a gallon and this with a lot of highway miles. The last half tank was all city and I got only 25 miles to the gallon. I drive pretty gingerly and without air to date. I am not only disappointed in the mileage, but perplexed at some of the incredible mileages being posted here. Is it possible for individual cars to be that different. Do I have a lemon? Besides that I am in LOVE with this car!
    Yes, I'd be disappointed, too, with that mileage, given how conservatively you've been driving it. Do you drive in a particularly hilly or high-elevation area, by any chance? Anyway, your mileage should improve as the engine is broken in; hopefully the improvement you see will be significant!
    If you're driving with your windows open, instead of using the A/C, then the amount of drag against your car will discount any improvments in mileage you might gain.
  • lecracklecrack Member Posts: 6
    Haha...I lucked out. My local dealer called me and said the individual that had the black 5 spd. sport preordered decided they wanted a silver one instead. Talk about lucking out! I would have had to wait until August if I had to order it.
  • thurst1963thurst1963 Member Posts: 42
    YES Majestic has some great prices.I have got some stuff from them.Bernards also has some great prices.And if you and in shipping they beat out Majestic on at least 50% of Fit stuff.Just a FYI for all you FIT people out there :P thurst63

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-Cargo-Tray-Fit__08U45-SLN-100.aspx
    I just filled up for the 3rd time (890 miles on my sport mt), and this tank was 33.6 mpg. The first was about the same, and the 2nd about 34.5. I am pretty happy with these numbers (but I would love to get some of the numbers I'm reading about here - and I'm not an aggressive driver). How many miles considered to be "broken in?"
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I think I know one reason why the AT drivers seem to be getting higher fuel economy than the MT drivers. I drove a MT and AT back-to-back tonight. At 40 mph cruise, level ground, the MT was at 2400 RPM while the AT was at 1500. At 60 mph cruise, the AT was at about 2250 RPM. I did not get a chance to drive the MT on the highway (long story, will tell elsewhere) but I have ready that the RPMs are in the upper 3000s at highway speeds.
  • hfounthfount Member Posts: 7
    Nah, I live in Florida. No excuses for the mileage. I hope it gets better cause I love the car. Thanks for the responses. I'll post if things improve. By the way wouldn't the rpm difference betweem At and MT have been reflected in the epa ratings.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Not necessarily. "Highway driving" to the EPA is something like 50 mph.
    Man, I just filled up for the first time, after tooling around for 5 days in my new Fit. Mileage? 28.4! I know why, though - Every time I looked down, I was going 80! This little car feels slow at 60, which makes it too easy to creep up to 80. Good thing I have cruise, or else I'm going to find blue lights behind me before long. :surprise:

I've had no problems getting 40mpg+ on my Civics in the past, so I don't think I'll have problems getting my mileage up on my Fit (once I get used to slowing down). :blush:
    dewaltdakota, did you get the 28.4 MPG in a manual or an automatic Fit?
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    I have found the exact same thing to be true. The car feels like it is going incredibly slow at even 65. I am used to driving 75-80 almost always. I am finally getting used to driving at legal speeds because I wanted to treat the car properly during the break-in period. Dropping the speed to 65 or 70 from 80 will do wonders for your fuel consumption.
    10 days of ownership Sport auto - 1798.5 miles, 49.23 gallons, 36.5 mpg. Two tanks going from sea level to 6,000 feet with the cruise set at 70, then slowed up to 60-65. Some slow-n-go rush hour driving, one tank with some stop-n-go. Some short trips, some city driving. Mostly highway. I'm happy.
  • twoktwok Member Posts: 5
    I just hit 1000 miles as I stopped on the road to get my mail; my second tank mpg was 36.875: 4/5ths highway @ 60-75, 1/5th stop and go suburban driving @ 35-45. I have noticed the rpms stay quite low except when climbing the 900-1200 ft hills on my commute at highway speed, which pushes up the tach reading to around 4000 .... I'm going to slow down a little and see if I can get closer to 40 mpg.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Wow! You are averaging 180 miles a day, and you didn't go on vacation or anything?

Also, you set the cruise to go up the Grapevine? Bold! How did the car respond? Did it have to shift down more than one gear to make the grade?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

My first tank was around 39mpg and the second tank was the same. A friend of mine got 43 her first tank. Both are Base MT's.

I'm already using the car as a utility truck, first by filling it to the gills with cut up yew bushes going to be composted. (Watch out for the very thin covering on the ceiling. It scratches easily). Then, transporting 6ft folding tables and garbage cans from a bake sale...Kinda like it was a tardus, just kept stuffing more into it.
    What the heck is a "tardus?"
  • brek1brek1 Member Posts: 19
    Im in the same boat right now...first tank was 30.1 mpg. On the second tank, I have a quarter tank left and only 230miles, so i expect the mpg to be about the same. I commute 10 miles a day to work (all city) but put on about 200 miles a week driving on I-95 between Baltimore and Washington. I usually travel at about 80mph (keeping up with the flow of traffic). I havent been driving aggressively at all and am coasting in neutral going down hills and when coming to a stop. I have a MT Sport.
    It is a time machine/ spaceship. Popularized from Dr. Know,
    UK scifi tv show.
    mostly pick up and drop off, some short trips and shopping; 173 miles = 34.32. This car scoots.
    Auto Sport... I'm doing much better on this tank, trying to keep my eye on the speedo this time.
    Think of a phone booth with an endless back door... something bigger inside than it is outside.
    My daily commute is 150 miles (Frazier Park, top of the Grapevine, to west L.A.) and we went to Vegas this past weekend (going by way of UCLA, and coming back by way of USC - long story). We were on track to put 54,000 miles on the Wrangler Unlimited this year, until we got the Fit.

The Fit maintained the 70 mph I had it set for going up the grade just out of Castaic, however it had to downshift to 3rd gear to maintain that speed. The rpms were just over 5,000 rpm and the engine gets quite a bit louder when they get that high (don't notice much noise at 4,000 rpm). Also, the 2 tanks where I tried that were around 30 mpg. As soon as I slowed down to around 60 where it seemed to be happy to travel in 4th, my mileage went up to around 40. With the mpg difference so high, it's a no-brainer for me to lighten up my lead foot!
  • jonniedeejonniedee Member Posts: 111
    Popularized from Dr. Know,
    UK scifi tv show."

You mean Doctor WHO :P