Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• xhe518xhe518 Member Posts: 107
    I noticed above that the mpg goes down in winter with the heater being on ?? Why ? Does that also happen if you run the A/C in the summer? I live in a climate where is gets very cold in winter but also very hot in summer.....

Seems to me from looking at the 'prices paid' forum, there isn't a huge difference between the Camry and the Prius in price - I just assumed the Camry was much higher.....
  • xhe518xhe518 Member Posts: 107
    I went to Toyota.com - (clicked on the "build yours now" link in the ad on the screen above right) ....when I entered my zip code, it does not allow the option to configure a Camy Hybrid. Are they not offered natiowide?
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    I'm curious, what region? Did you try from within the Camry or Hybrid section? I think you have to do it from the latter.
  • bmwconvertbmwconvert Member Posts: 75
    I'm a 2007 GS450h owner, but happened to be browsing through this forum (which is far more active than for my vehicle).

I get about 3 mpg less in the winter than summer. I believe it's because the ICE runs longer to warm up, plus seems to kick in more frequently than it does during warm weather -- even when the a/c is running. Maybe has something to do with keeping the engine warm enough to effectively run the heat.

I love my car, but am jealous of the mpg being reported here. During warm weather, my GS gets about 23-24mpg combined and tops out at about 29-30mpg on the highway. That's the sacrifice for the killer acceleration and torque delivered (I know, likely not a virtue in this forum! :).
  • harolddharoldd Member Posts: 2
    Hello all. I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a Toyota Camry Hybrid. I drove 1 today for the second time and am NOT impressed. The car seems to jerk a lot and the "salesman" said that I don't know how to drive a car with a CVT. I actually like the V6 and/or 4 cylinder gas engines better, but with the gas prices, the hybrid seems the way to go. I'm impressed with the MPG that people seem to be getting with the hybrid, but am concerned that the hybrid does not seem as smooth or sophisticated as a gas engine to me. Is it me?? Any suggestions?
    I'm hesitant to drop that much money on a car that I don't seem to be sold on.
    Thx for your comments.
    H.D.
  • sgoodmansgoodman Member Posts: 14
    I honestly don't know what you could have been experiencing. Not only does this car not "jerk", it is w/o a doubt the smoothest transmission I have ever felt; the only jarring thing about it is that when you expect to feel the subtle jolt of a gear shift, nothing happens - acceleration is velvet smooth and almost whisper quiet. So either you drove some sort of clunker, or you did indeed do something strange (although I can't imagine what). Did you let the dealer drive it while you were in the car? That could tell you which of those 2 scenarios were in play.

Steve
    The only thing better about the V6 or 4cyl engine to me is the initial acceleration from a standing stop. The TCH is slow to get going unless pushed hard, which is hardly what the car is about. Once normal driving speed is reached, the TCH is capable of faster acceleration than the 4cyl model.

But, of course, one shouldn't buy a car if you have doubts about it. Good luck.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    The TCH is slow to get going unless pushed hard,

That's a "mental" thing. It has a soft accelerator pedal but if you give it the gas it will go, just like in any other car. Learn to modulate the pressure on the throttle and you can duplicate any type of take off you want. However with a lot of cars taking off slow is difficult and not good for FE. Though just because I have to push the throttle two inches instead of 1 inch as in some cars doesn't mean I am pushing it "hard". I can start as slow as I want and I can chirp my tires. Don't know what else one would want.
    I'm hesitant to drop that much money on a car that I don't seem to be sold on.

I can't imagine anything smoother than the CVT type transmission (or in our case a power splitting device) but seriously I'd never consider spending money on a car I didn't like.

I don't particulary think of the TCH as all that great of a car, but I did want an economy car and it fits the bill better than anything I saw on the market. I wish it was quieter on the road and more comfortable and handled beter..... I wish a lot of things. However 38mpg overrides all those wishes and I'm happy.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    I suppose compared to the v6 the engine will "jerk" a little when the ICE kicks in, but it's certainly not very intrusive and you'll quickly forget about it.

It's also a little "jerky" while braking, as initially it uses regenerative braking before the actual disc brakes kick in. Once again, as you drive it you alter your driving style so things get smoother. Same with any car.

If you're expecting a Lexus or a BMW, yes it's not a very impressive car. But that's not what this car is about, is it? It is a large sedan that gets the mileage of an economy car with less emissions. And with that in mind, it fulfills that role quite well. Better than anything else in it's class I think. Perhaps the Altima Hybrid comes close.

Look at other 'similar' cars and compare apples to apples and that might help you decide.

As for buying the car purely for gas savings, it will take years and years to break even, so consider whether or not that's truly worth it. You might find you really are better of with a v6.

Good luck

tom
  • kshowalterkshowalter Member Posts: 1
    I had my first OC in December (it was a bit cold here in December-january) and immediatley noticed I went from 42MPG to around 38MPG no matter what i did, It was a struggle to get to 40MPG. Once the weather warmed up, FE changed aback to the 40-42MPG range...In any time of ebnvironment you look for consistent clues to determine a problem. the only constant was the cold weather.
  • hendricks101hendricks101 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am new to this forum.

I own two Prius's 2002 and 2005 total miles both cars 189000

I have read some concerns about a drop in mpg after oil changes.

This also happens in the Prius and is most often caused by a over
    filling of oil in the crank case.

This is easy to check, just look at your dip stick . I bet that some
    of you will find it over filled, I had this happen to me at a Toyota
    dealership. I now change my own oil and stop adding when the
    dip stick is about 1/8 " below this full mark.

I did make my dealer remove the excess oil after I had warned them
    about doing the over fills.

Also check your tire pressure, Toyota like to make them 32 psi.
    I run my tires at 40 psi

Hope this helps some of you.

Tom
  • loves2readloves2read Member Posts: 48
    yes--the hybrid is not as quiet due to road noise as I would like and it does have somewhat of a harsh ride--it is really not all that different from the PT Cruiser I traded in--but we tried Honda XLE V6 and the new Malibu LZT plus the Camry 4--a friend as a new V6 top of the line Camry--the Malibu was the quietest to us
    and we both drove and rode in back---
    we wanted something that had bigger backseat and good gas mileage--
    and I feel like I am compesating for my husband's new Tahoe...
  • grggrg Member Posts: 15
    I have had my 2007 TCH for over 1 1/2 years now, I have 28000 miles, and agree with wvgasguy, I also overall get 38 mgp, as high as 42 when not running heat or air conditioning (spring or fall). Also would add a relative negative is the smaller trunk, but, I think it is worth it, to ride around town in all electric mode, especially in school zones....
    >>>I think it is worth it, to ride around town in all electric mode, especially in school zones....

I know the feeling. Sneaking up silently in school zones and scaring little kids sure is fun! :D
  • emgremgr Member Posts: 109
    I know I shouldn't laugh, but I can't help it.
  • quixotic1quixotic1 Member Posts: 23
    I live in So. Florida. A few months ago the state mandated mixing ethanol with the gas here. My mileage has dropped 10%! I know this is due to the ethanol because while in NC (a non-ethanol state) the mileage went right back up to where it had been. I am incensed! Why has there been no news coverage? If this scenario is true with most cars (and I suspect it's true) we are paying extra to put this junk in our cars, and paying the same or more for this gas! Have any of you experienced this?
    I'm surprised the media didn't cover the issue in your area. It has been in other parts of the country. Ethanol has less energy per unit volume than gasoline. But a 10% ethanol blend shouldn't cause a 10% drop in mileage, more like 2-3%.
    This is supposed to be another one of those things we Hybrid owners can feel smug about :)

Using 10% ethanol uses even less foreign oil. Of course it's helped raised the price of food so that people starving in the world can't get food while we feed corn to our cars.
    and using ethanol just give worse MPG #s--so you buy more faster than you do with regular gas--
    it does not save any money in the long run
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    you guys in here need to come check out the normal cmary real world Mpg. at a steady 65 mph... cruise control, i never get under 37 mpg and have gotten 40.58 on my highest tank. Never have i got under 30 mpg. id have to go over 85 mph and a headwind to go under 30mpg. we have lists and records galore reguarding our driving and MPG. come visit the forum and see.

p.s. You really do need to learn to drive one. my last car was a civic hybrid. thats how i learned to drive my gas camry and get great mpg. My neighbor across the street has an 07 camry hybrid. He gets around 36-37 non stop. He hasnt got as good of mpg as i have with my normal 03 4cyl. Its HOW YOU DRIVE.

Id be happy to explain how i drive mine if you e-mail or im me.

Later Caaz
  • stoogotzstoogotz Member Posts: 4
    Right you are, Caaz! My spouse picked up on the techniques I use driving my '09 Camry Hybrid and the mileage in her V8 SUV went from 12-14 mpg to 15-17 mpg.
    come check out the normal cmary real world Mpg

At steady state 65 mph I do get 40+ in my hybrid. However the interstate driving is not where the real world is nor is it the "sweet spot" for the TCH. I can easily get 40+ on rural roads and 37 to 40 on short trips and town driving. Most people don't check their milage except on trips and don't have a clue as to what their overall FE runs. My lifetime FE over 48,000 miles is 37.3 in the Camry TCH. Don't think you'll match that in a 4cy ICE only Camry. The only thing I have seen that hurts the TCH is cold weather and rain. If not for the winter miles I would easily be over 38.5 mpg
    mileage in her V8 SUV

I've found that to partly work. I can get 18 mpg in my Expedition now on the interstate if I drive just below 70 mph. However as soon as I pull it off and hit town, starting and stopping 6000#'s just isn't effecient no matter what I do. Sure jack rabbit starts can be avoided but even then it's still low milage. Many people give up working at it on their big vehicles because it's "only" 2 mpg. They forget that's almost a 15% improvement in many cases and with todays' gas prices that's significant. I still get a chuckle out of the jacked up, large knobby tired F150's passing me at 80+ on the interstate filling up at the gas pump. They complain about the prices but do everything they can to make it as bad as possible on themselves.

I see a lot of people in minimum wage jobs, commuting 20 miles each way driving F150's because they want a truck. probably never haul anything or tow, but they gotta have a truck. When you spend 2 hours of your 8 hour working pay on gasoline it's time to wake up.
  • camrydccamrydc Member Posts: 4
    Just bought an 09.Turned in my 5 series premium guzzling bmw for it. Burned half a tank so far and the computer is telling me that im getting 37.1 and improving. My drive into the city averages 20 mph so I'm often on battery only. Watching the big SUVs and gas guzzling sedans next to me makes me wish everyone would buy one of these cars. For Metro area drivers this is a no brainer.
  • nkaizernkaizer Member Posts: 25
    I'm glad I'm not the only one to trade "down" to the TCH. I also recently leased an ''09 TCH (coming from an Infiniti) and am getting about 36 MPG on each tankful, primarily used to commute in NYC, where the aggressive drivers (one of whom I used to be) will not let me operate on battery power alone. Several days though, when I really tried, and ignored the honking horns, I got 43 MPG, on a 26-mile daily round trip. Although today, when I came in late and there was no traffic, I was passed by a 328 and Acura TL-S driving very spiritedly. For a moment, I felt a little emasculated when I didn't join them in the left lane, instead, comfortably cruising on battery power. That feeling evaporated when I caught them at the tolls. I agree with you though that it really is a no-brainer for metro drivers and note that if everybody got a hybrid, we'd all be a lot better off.
  • plknjplknj Member Posts: 121
    Well said... the TCH has changed almost all our driving patterns for the better.
  • zerch911zerch911 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering a hybrid but need some advice from current owners or hybrid experts... My daily commute is 90 miles one way. Out of this mileage, 70 miles is pure highway driving at 70+ MPH. The other 20 is stop & go traffic congestion and city traffic.
    Would a hybrid do any good in these conditions? I currently drive a corolla and avg about 33mpg.

I have talked to the salesmen, but rather have advise from owners and real world experience.

Also, the dealer says they (Toyota) tested the batteries to 150k and never had a problem or needed to replace it... any truth to this?
    Can a vehicle like this be rented for a week to test for myself?

Thanks..
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    With the large highway usage, your commute sounds perfect for a new clean diesel vehicle. If I were you, I would wait a few months until the new Jetta TDI becomes available. It would give you a solid 40+ mpg on the hwy portion and probably 34-36 mpg combined.

The TCH would get you probably 35-38 mpg in that commute, my guess, after owning mine for 32,000 miles.

Good luck !!!
    Mileage from a hybrid probably varies more than a conventional car. Temperature, driving habits, etc seem to matter more.

Still, I'd expect mpg in the high 30s on the freeway, about the same in city driving (a little less if your winters are cold). People claiming 40+ are probably driving very conservatively.

As to battery life, the Prius has been on the road for 10 years now. If premature battery failure was a problem, we'd know about it. Some hybrid Prius are being used as cabs and have gone well past 200K miles with no failures. At some distant point, the battery will become less efficient and powerful. But that happens to all engines if driven long enough.

Depending on your state, all the hybrid components are guaranteed well past the standard guarantee. Yes, I've heard of people renting the TCH from car rental agencies. Good idea.
  • talmy1talmy1 Member Posts: 55
    Considering the difference in fuel prices (diesel is 20% more than unleaded here), 40+ mpg of diesel would be about the same as 32+ mpg of gasoline. The TCH does better.
  • adviceseekeradviceseeker Member Posts: 6
    I have read this board for quite awhile, and try to use all the tips for getting great gas mileage on my '08 TCH which I purchased in Oct. '07. I am only getting around 32 mpg in the city and 35-36 on the highway. It sounds like I am the only one getting such poor mileage. I just don't get it!! :confuse:
  • zerch911zerch911 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the replies.. looks like I might stick with what I have for now. I drive pretty hard and I dont think the price difference will be made up by the fuel savings.

Maybe Toyota will come out with a hybrid Corolla....

z
  • slbullslbull Member Posts: 2
    Is it possible for you to e-mail me a list of tips on how to maximize you mileage with the TCH? I have one on order and would like to know what are the tricks to keeping the mpg gauge in the highest zone while starting up and driving.
  • nkaizernkaizer Member Posts: 25
    It's not only about the fuel savings. Of course, the hybrid costs more, but in addition to the personal cost of fuel savings, you have the reduction on foreign oil which reduces our national strategic interests and drains our economy, the general deterrence to wasteful car building, the message to the public that it's time to change their habits, the environmental benefits and finally the good feeling you get by having to fill up every other week instead of every week. And if gas keeps going up (as I'm sure it will), maybe you'll save money. And I used to drive very hard (just a few months ago), but maybe, just maybe, it's time to lighten up with the foot.
    Is it possible for you to e-mail me a list of tips on how to maximize you mileage with the TCH?

In the early days I had a list like that compliled as this was all new to us. However those tips are in the early postings of this thread and the other threads on Edmunds about the TCH. The tips I gave were in "addition" to other tips so reading everyones suggestions would be more beneficial.

I will say that for people that are only getting 32 mpg, they either are not trying or they just "don't get it". There are things in life that I have tried and tried and then when it finally happened I said "ah ha!" This is one of those experiences. If you are willing to go slower than those in the fast lane and to take time to get the feel, it will eventually become second nature. At first it may seem like hard work and too much effort, but it's like learning any piece of new equipment there is a learning curve.

I'm guessing a lot of folks that bought the TCH are not really "into it" and will never maximize the potential. But for those that are willing it provided the opportunity to achieve high 30's in a family sized car.

Look in the thread called TOYOTA CMARY HYBRID DRIVING TIPS & TRICKS. That is probably the area that has the least entries but the most info for specific help on obtaining the high FE results.
  • harolddharoldd Member Posts: 2
    OK...HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DRIVE, if I own a hybrid Camry???
    Harold!!!
    Harold,

Camry Hybrid Tips and Driving Tricks - CLICK HERE

Read those posts starting at Post #1 for all the tips you need.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Maybe Toyota will come out with a hybrid Corolla.... "

Not likely, it would steal sales from the Prius.

Plus, one of the limiting factors right now is the availability of batteries.
    With 'Yota planning on selling a MilJion hybrids a year in a few years, they have a battery plan:

New Battery Plants on the way

A week after announcing it will build its second battery plant for 'green cars,' Toyota Motor Corp. disclosed it will rev up production of its hybrid cars and is planning a third battery plant in Japan.

This is according to an Associated Press report, which stated that the planned $291-million factory in Miyagi prefecture, northern Japan, will be operated by Panasonic EV Energy Co., Toyota's joint venture with Matsushita Electric Industrial Co.

Slated for operation by 2010, the plant will make nickel-metal hydride batteries, with production capacity at 200,000 a year, with start-up production at about half of that.

The move follows a Toyota's announcement to build a $194 million plant in Shizuoka, in central Japan, that would also produce NiHM batteries for gas-electric hybrid vehicles.

Toyota is planning to address the increasing demand for hybrid vehicles with three new hybrid battery factories, including one dedicated for next-generation lithium ion packs, Automotive News has reported, citing the Japanese newspaper Nikkei as its original source.

It is reported that the company is likely to spend around $673.1 million on the planned plants, to facilitate an annual battery output of one million units by 2011.

Nickel-metal hydride batteries are likely to be produced at a plant in northern Japan, whereas the lithium ion battery plant will be based in Shizuoka, southwest of Tokyo. The new nickel-metal hydride plant is scheduled to start production in 2011 with an estimated output of around 300,000 batteries a year, while the lithium ion plant is likely to start production in 2010.

The move reportedly follows the announcement made by Nissan Motor about the advanced mass-production of lithium ion batteries and Honda Motor's plan to introduce four new hybrid vehicles by 2015.

It is claimed that Toyota's batteries are being built by Panasonic EV Energy, a joint venture between Toyota and Japanese electronics company Matsushita Electric.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Yes, I had seen the article. However, we are speaking NOW - there is a shortage.
    The average Prius selling time right now is still 3 days nationwide. Down from 17 days a couple of months ago.

They are not completely unavailable, but in certain areas they are scarce, true dat.
  • craigetalcraigetal Member Posts: 7
    I have had my '09 for almost a month; driving in a combination of 'town' and country roads, in hilly and mountainous areas, and trying to drive 'sensibly', I have - so far - gotten between 42 and 45 mpg. I am pleased! :)
  • mdetrichmdetrich Member Posts: 3
    How in the HECK are you getting that kind of mileage on any sort of hills...especially going up? I am driving extremely conscious in town and only getting 35-37 at the most and even on the highway on LONG trips, even staying tucked in behind semi's, have only received 43 avg at the most. I use my cruise control a lot and that really helps but 42 & 45 in major hills? Seems like you would burn the mileage you gained from going "down" when you go "up."
    to: mdetrich -

I just try and drive somewhat 'conservatively'; gentle starts, using c/control whenever possible on hwy; etc. I'm hoping that the car being as new as it is isn't a factor [that will disappear]
    our mileage for less than a month of having our 09 TCH is about that 34-35.
    Most of it is in town on city streets--not freeway driving--and some of it is for short distances but I really try to get the coast effect and to stay on battery--my husband has also when he drives become much more conscious of the higher mpg effect--
    on some trips we get the 40+ kudo of excellent when we turn the car off
    but sometimes it is avg below 30 because of the distance
    I have only put one tank of gas in the car--still have about 1/4 tank to go before the second fill up so I am not sure how the car's total mpg will work out to the actual math of fillup gallons vs miles traveled

I did notice yesterday when I was driving that my needle on the mph gauge/dial was stuck close to the 0 mpg efficiency rating when I was costing and building the battery--there was NO gas being used at that time--so it should have gone down to the bottom of the dial---it did not react correctly until after I had used the gas pedal and engaged the conventional engine--then when I went to the coast mode again the needle dropped to the bottom like it should...

has anyone else had a problem with that--it seems like the needle has sort of a halo effect on it --I am wondering if there is some extra plastic or transparent material stuck to it that might make it hang up instead of just drop when it should...

would be interested in hearing if anyone has noticed the same hesitation in the MPG needle in your TCH....
    as my TCH is still new to me, can someone please explain [to me] just what/how the MPG used analog dial on the left of the instrument display works?; and/or just what it's supposed to indicate? It has not ever matched, shown, what the 'computer' shows on the digital read-out. ">
  • jcihakjcihak Member Posts: 60
    My wife just took our 1 1/2 month old '08 from PA to NC on the highway, driving the speed limit. She averaged 40.0 mpg, about 750 miles round trip. Tire pressure about 37 psi.

I took my '06 Civic (with AT) on the same trip, driving the speed limit, and bumped the tire pressure to 37psi. I got 41.5 mpg average on the highway. This is my best ever with the Civic.

Temperatures were in the 70s and 80s.
  • stalnakerstalnaker Member Posts: 72
    Many cars can get 35 mpg or better on the highway, if driven carefully. If more than half of your driving is on the highway, then maybe a hybrid doesn't make sense. Get a diesel instead, like a VW Jetta TDI. But if most of your driving is in the city, then very few cars can consistently get over 30 mpg in those conditions. That's when a hybrid really shines.
    The dial on the left of the instrument panel is simply an instaneous reading of FE whereas the bars on the NAV system show the average over the last minute.

Remember too that when looking at the bars it is over a minute, not a mile. If you're driving 60 mph instead of 30 mph that's a significant difference. I use the bars as a reminder to see how I'm doing on a trip (am I paying attention or not). The instaneous gage is used to get immediate impact. If I'm crusing along with a 35 rating and I notice my foot on the gas I will lift off and see it drop and then reapply the gas gently to maintain speed and get a better FE reading.