Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• jweismanjweisman Member Posts: 1
    Could anyone familiar with a 1999 1/2 Land Rover Discovery II please assist me with installation instructions. This will be the first time for me and I'm not looking to pay a dealer with my arm and leg. Any information would be appreciated.
  • miller428miller428 Member Posts: 4
    Here's the website for brake pad replacement: http://www.expeditionexchange.com/disco2brakes/
    It takes you through it step by step. I think it mentions this, but unless you have brake fluid on hand and don't want brake fluid all over, you will need to take some out of the reservoir. I used a turkey baster. Then after the new pads are installed put it back in.
    Good luck. It should cost you less than $100.00.
    Have a Merry Christmas!!!
  • miller428miller428 Member Posts: 4
    See post #4415. Good luck! Merry Chrsitams!!!
  • chiller44chiller44 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 disco that will stall in cold temperatures. I live in northwest Florida and when the temperature drops to below 45 (common between Nov-Feb) the engine will start and idle but when placed in gear it dies. This process repeats itself for about 30 minutes until an operating temp (known only to the computer) is reached and the dicso runs fine. :sick: Any thoughts as to which $500 electrical gizmo needs to be replaced? :confuse:
  • abraxas1abraxas1 Member Posts: 7
    I put Bridgestone Duehler H/L Alenza 255/55/18 on my Disco 2002 and it is 100% better. I drive mostly highway but live north so I get the snow also and it doesn't slip at all. About 3000 miles on them now. I can hold a conversation while driving for the first time. They were pricey..but when you are dealing with 18 inch tires you really can't find cheap. I chose these mainly for the 65000 mile warranty..check out Tirerack.com reviews and testing on them. I would also go with road hazard insurance, when you are paying 150$+ you would hate to have to fork over another $150 for a nail in the road.
  • indanaoindanao Member Posts: 1
    Good day. Does anyone out there have experience with the
    Automatic Door Lock on the '95 Disco's?

I have had mine for two years, and replaced all auto door
    latches at $600 Canadian each ( all 5 ). Now, the back one
    often won't close, and the front driver's door won't open
    at times. Should I just keep fixing these, or is it going
    to be an ongoing problem? Having spent $3000 Cnd. on the
    doors, I am nervous about continuing, and wonder if I should,
    a) sell it, or b) keep it for a long time as planned, and disconnect the Automatic locking system, or c) fix it this time and keep her going, hoping the doors will hold for some time?

Thanks.

Yours truly:
    Bruce B.
  • mikey_c1mikey_c1 Member Posts: 4
    just got myself a 96 and have no complaints other then its a process to fill up my tank. seems like pressure builds up and the gas pump kicks back b/c its thinks its full. any reason why this would be happening?

-mike
  • eddybfasteddybfast Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 2002 Disco and I want to put 16 inch wheels on it to raise my suspension. Does anyone have experience with this? What springs, shocks ect do I need to accomplish this...thanks!
  • mbrashearsmbrashears Member Posts: 1
    I have had the identical problem with one of my horn buttons had one of the four prongs break off. Did you find a more economical?

i would greatly appreciate any help you could throw my way.

Thanks
  • 3rovers3rovers Member Posts: 4
    Well I actually have 2 different problems making me crazy.. We drive a 2000 discovery in NYC and Sometimes when I try to turn on the headlights, they will be extremely dim and I immediately know Im having this problem because when they are dim the brightlight signal in the car is on and when I try to click the brighs on or off the bright signal never leaves and the dim lights remain the same dim..... So as soon as I make an appt with NYC Landrover dealer they start to work perfectly again... then yesterday it stared again. I went to my local mechanisc and he said the alternateor and battery were fine... But he is not a landrover mechanic (he fixes my wrangler! Any ideas? I hate to go ignorant to the dealer mechanic!
    In central america we drive a 1998 discovery for vacation. I have replaced the brakes and rotors twice BUT everytime I drive on a few hills, they start to smake and dont work well!! Not fun driving down a coffee mountain with 3 kids in the car!! I have just about decided to sell it!!! The mechanic said he checked the caliphers and I bought the last brakes from Landrover???
    Thanks for any ideas.
    $280 later. ... we just replaced the light switch? So I hope that fixes that problem. But of course while there at the mechanic... the guy says that the squeaky wheels when they turn driving slow need that I should return for a new track rod set for $480. hmmmm I made an appointment since he made the problem sound scarey so I hope he isnt tricking me!!!
  • millermbmillermb Member Posts: 6
    When parked for a few hours, 4 or 5 times, over 7 or 8 months, our 2001 Disco II has been "laying down" in the rear, as if the air in the rear suspension leaked out. After starting it, and the compressor kicks in, it rises up, with no noticable effect. Anyone have this problem or any thoughts?
  • odiopusodiopus Member Posts: 47
    I have a '01 Disco and my wife has recently mentioned a similar type of noise when driving over pot holes. I have not found any info. on this other than this post. It would be great if anyone that has had a similiar experiences could share some conmments. By the way I have about 55K miles on my Disco...
    When I replaced my 18" tires on My Disco II, I decided to go with Michelin since I had bad experiences with the OEM 18" Goodyears (cupping and uneven wear - regardlesss of frequesnt rotation). I bought the Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires and for on-road driving the difference was night and day. Smoothest and quietest truck tire I have ever owned... I could actaully hear that whinning noise from the engine and perfomance was also great. The only other vehicle I know that uses these (OEM) is the BMW X5.

I'm about to replace my 16" tires with another brand other than GoodYear specifically for off-roading. Price doesn't really matter. I'm leaning toward some Michelin's MTX tires and considering buying a Spare Tire relocator from RoverConnection, but have not decided on a specific tire. Anyone have any suggestions?
    This is the installation guide I used when I first replaced my brakes at around 30K miles in my Disco II. They were very detailed and I was able to change the brakes in less than an hour since it was my first time. I'm about to replace my brakes again at 55K (towing a maximum load up and down hills for 2,000 miles will wear out your brakes quickly).

On another note, I noticed my rotors ware getting worn. How do I know when I need to replace them? I'm thinking of going with the cross/slotted rotors from the expeditionExchange site or RoverConnection site. I looked on the ExpeditionExchange site for an installation guide but did not come accross one. Any one have any suggestions on buying/replacing rotors for a '01 Disco II?
  • dawnybbdawnybb Member Posts: 3
    I have the same annoying problems. For no apparent reason, the ABS, TC, and I think a couple other lights go on and there is a ding-ding-ding sound--which scares me! Other than this, the car is ok. Although, the passenger side power seat is malfunctioning.
    I am hoping the extended warranty will cover this! Has anyone used their warranty for this?
    Thanks
  • discomandiscoman Member Posts: 110
    Hey all. I recently found a maintenance tip from a LR mechanic. He is a friend of mine who was a former Land Rover Technician at a dealership in Jacksonville, FL. He and another LR Mechanic decided to open their own LR repair and customizing shop after the dealership was bought out by a Jaguar/LR dealership and they wanted them to cross train in Jaguar. Anyway I was headed for a certain valve Job. I talked to him and asked him if there was anything I could try before comitting myself to a major surgery lie that. HE recommended the following: Change your oil and filter, but you will have to do it twice. Buy one cheap oil filter and one good one, and 7 quarts of good quality oil, 3 quarts of cheap oil and 4 quarts of Automatic Transmission Fluid. Then drain the old oil, put on the cheap filter, and add the 4 quarts of ATF and 3 quarts cheap oil. Run your engine for 20-30 minutes (DO NOT DRIVE IT, JUST IDLE IT!!!) until the engine runs at normal operating temperature for about 10 minutes. Then shut it down and immediately change the oil and filter again, this time using the good filter and premium oil. Drive it on the freeway at normal speed for at least an hour or two without stopping. At first I thought I had made it worse, but I swear this works! My 96 Disco with 125K miles has now lost the shakes, the valves quit sticking, the fault codes are gone, and the fuel economy improved etc. It's like it's a new engine again. The detergents in the ATF cleaned all the carbon out. He also recommended substituting 1 quart of oil, with 1 quart ATF every 2nd or 3rd oil change to help keep it clean. He also said most mechanics won't tell you about this (Especially LR Dealer mechanics because it would get them fired) because they want the extra money you will have to pay ($3000.00 at the dealer, $1400.00 at his shop) to have the valve job done. :D
  • dkiblerdkibler Member Posts: 3
    Im about to buy a 2000 Lr DiscoII with 34,000 mi on it from a family member, the vin number is salty1245ya261585. They rarly used this and it still has the new care smell.
    After reading this site for a few days I dont know what to do. I read all the positives but the negatives out weight them in the mantiance area. This will not have a warranty although they say that they have never had an issue and only replaced the break pads and normal oil changes. I am looking into warranty options and have seen some online companies but not sure who to go with and what opnions I should definatly get to cover my [non-permissible content removed]. Any help would be cool
  • buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    Just my .02 cents. I've always thought of extended warranties or any warranty that you have to purchase as a rip off. You really have to be very careful to read and understand what exactly it covers so you know what you are buying. Since I am not one of those who are fond of reading the fine print, I've always taken the approach to just save the money I was going to pay for the warranty into a "car repair" account and dip into it when repairs are needed. I find that more financially suitable for me. Again, just my .02 cents. This may not work for some people.
    called the dealer and ran the vin only one recall in 04
    witch was the only visit to a dealer(uncle is a mechanic)
    Who ownes the car now and since it was new and he states
    that all he ever did was replace the brake pads and change the oil, it has been garage kept also, but wont when I get it.

thanks
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Dkibler, sounds like you have found a very nice Land Rover with very low miles. And, the owner is a mechanic and understands the vehicle and how it was maintained, etc.

I would buy it if I were you. The miles are SO low!

I agree with Burosky, I would not buy an extended warranty either as I think they are a waste and never seem to cover everything. I don't like to read "the fine print" and just pay as I go. And, if you DO have any problems, make your Uncle buy it back! ;)

What color is it? Is it a seven passenger? How much is he asking?

Mark :D
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Its white, not my first choice but hey its used.
    the leather looks brand new, the car is in mint condition.
    they were selling it for $16,000 but gave it to us for $13,000.00 since we are family, the loan company said it was worth about $16,500. Its pretty loaded except for the
    the 3rd row seating and the heated seats, it has everything
    else including the duel sun roof's.

thanks
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Sounds like you got a very good buy. You have very nice relatives!

Mark :D
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • jkmewrightjkmewright Member Posts: 11
    Ok yes, I am a woman but every service center I call says I have to replace rotors EVERY time I replace pads? I have someone willing to replace pads for me @ home, is this a job we want to do? Thanks for help!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If the dealer just replaces the pads, the new pads will likely squeal until they conform to the grooves in the rotor. So many people complained about this (with all makes) that dealers routinely either replace the rotors or turn them every time brake pads get replaced. Some rotors are thin and don't lend themselves to being turned, or can only be turned once.

Or so I've read on the forums over the years.

Changing disc brake pads and rotors is a relatively easy job for the do-it-yourselfer. Check out this post:

miller428, "Land Rover Discovery/Discovery II" #4415, 23 Dec 2005 8:04 am

Steve, Host
  • jkmewrightjkmewright Member Posts: 11
    THANK YOU STEVE! You may have just saved me $700 or at the very least $500. I hear so much about ABS issues and rotors and such that it makes me a little nervous. The pasted web page is very informative. (Digging out the turkey baster) :P
  • macc24macc24 Member Posts: 20
    If this is the case try just looking the doors with the key...it should bypass the alarm (or some parts of it) and maybe you'll be able to use your auto start. I sympathize w/you problems as I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. Coldest temp me and my disco have seen ... -55F brrr it's only
    -11F today.

Keep it warm,

MC
  • macc24macc24 Member Posts: 20
    Since this is a common problem let me make a suggestion on what first to do. Swap out of replace your ABS relay with a different one (it's under the hood). It will have three prongs once you pull it out...put in a new one and see if the lights go out. If they do - great! You solved the problem w/a $5 part.

-MC
    what happened? I was recommended to a new landrover mechanic because I had JUST a headlight problem. After a few hundred dollars for a new switch.. I left done???? But as I was leaving the mechanic told me that I had a serious life threatening problem... That the squeak when I turned my wheel sometimes could make my car sudenly run off the road or wose into someone if I didnt SOON replace my complete track rod and drag link for $425.

Oh no,, my childrens lives are at risk,,, please take my $425 and fix it!!! BUt after he finished and I parked the car I noticed a leak on my garage floor? Is it oil? Is it antifreeze? I called them and they said that they had no idea. That week as I drove my car was shaking! Shaking with the accelaration!! Is this a conscience? I returned the next week and he said it was my drive shaft and he could fix it then for $190. Okay .. but what about the leak? He said it was antifreeze and hed needed 2 days to repair it? He just faxed me the estimate.. $3500! What?
    New hydrolic lifer/machine shop cylinder head/gasket manifold /gasket valve cover rocker/valley end clam??? the list goes on.. Is this possible. I would love ANY ADVICE!
    Thank you
  • mnrovermnrover Member Posts: 52
    Do you have Self Leveling Suspension ? I have the same noise happen to my 99 Disco II when it is cold out (Minnesota). Sounds like bushings creaking Right?? I don't worry too much about it. I just rack it up to being a heavy truck with LOTS of rubber bushings...
  • hymie66hymie66 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know anything about Amplifier Module on a 1993 Disco I distributor? I live in Brisbane Australia and have read that when the motor gets hot it heats the module and then causes running problems. One of the web sites says that you can relocate the Module to prevent this - anyone had the same experience? The symptom that I get is when I put my foot to the floor the motor dies, rather than kicking back, and hauling [non-permissible content removed] (the LR is an AUTO 3.9L V8). In other words a huge flat spot. I checked the timing, plugs, and replaced HT leads. Any other thoughts as to the likely problem? I contemplated a partially blocked fuel filter, can the steel cannister type filters be flushed/cleaned or do they just need to be replaced? I love the car, and any tips would be helpful.

Cheers

John
    You need to find a new mechanic or see if you can claim him as a dependant for tax purposes! :)
  • daisychickdaisychick Member Posts: 1
    Im thinking about buying a DII with almost 50,000 miles on it for 28,000. Does that seem reasonable? It was a lease return. In A+ condition & dealer says he's never had probs with his but after reading posts here I find that hard to believe!! I dont really plan on off roading but I've wanted 1 so long & I just love the way they look!! Theyre beautiful!! But Im a single mom & can not afford or have time to deal with serious maintenance issues. I dont want to be totally taken advantage of when taking it in for service. I need a realiable vehicle. Any suggestions, please!?
  • bhintonbhinton Member Posts: 1
    I have had modulator replaced. Recently ABS, TC and HDC lights come on permanently. Independent repairer said that a switch in modulator has shown up in diagnostic computer as cause of fault (apparently quite common failure).
    Have you heard of this?
  • kscctsksccts Member Posts: 140
    What year is the vehicle? $28,000 sounds like too much money for any DII!

As a single mom, I would buy something more reliable than a Land Rover. I own a 2000 DII which I love and which has been very reliable but, unfortunately, I can't say the same for all Rovers. How about a Forerunner or a Pathfinder? :)
    We have a 2001 DII SE7 that, with the exception of the horn buttons, has been trouble free. If you're buying outright, and the distance works, here's the eBay high end program car auto dealer, with NO negative feedback, we purchased our 2001 from for 3K to 4K under what the local dealers were asking. It was a painless transaction. He has them flying in from all over the country to pick up vehicles.
    http://stores.ebay.com/NORTHEAST-AUTO_W0QQssPageNameZl2QQtZkm
    Good luck!!!
    We have a 2001 DII SE7 with almost 60K miles and has also been trouble free with the same exception of minor problems with the horn (mainly the buttons ont he steering wheel). I also had a problem with the ACE, but that was a programming ptoblem in the ECU. I've towed, gone off road, and waddled in high water numerous times and the Disco is still running like new (knock on wood). My only complaint is the gas mileage.
  • ramdoggg26ramdoggg26 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into a 03 Discovery with very low miles. Is the LR3 still a Discovery with a different name or is it discontinued. If it is discontinued, why is it so?? Also, any known problems with '03 Discovery's??? Please let me know ASAP.
  • dawnybbdawnybb Member Posts: 3
    My independent LR mechanic says there is a new way to fix this problem that will be coming out soon---so you will not need to replace anything and will only cost around $300. When he fixes the problem in my 2000 Disco, I will post how he did.
  • pbroverpbrover Member Posts: 43
    Please let us all know when that happens! :)
  • lightcahilllightcahill Member Posts: 22
    This pertains to Messages 4250 & 4455.

I have a 2003 Discovery SE with 33,000 miles on it. Blue book is nowhere near $28,000, US dollars. I'd be lucky to get $18,000 on a trade-in, I believe. I agree with other comment that $28,000 is way too much to pay, regardless of model year.

The Disco was much in need of an upgrade in 2003-2004. The tech design was getting very long in the tooth. BMW did some things to make the 2003 and 2004 models "better" than their predecessors before Ford purchased Land Rover.

Even so, just too much was needed to make the "Disco" competitive. So, for 2005 Land Rover, now owned by Ford, did a complete redo. I can't imagine that there are very many parts, if any, that transferred over from the 1004 Disco to the 2005 LR3. Interestingly enough, though, in other countries the LR3 is still called the Disco.

The LR3 is a much heavier vehicle. It has a completely different, and much more powerful V-8 engine, based on the Jaguar V-8. The old Disco 4.6 liter was based on a very old Buick V-8 design. There are a host of technical innovations in the LR3. Seating is different, and the back seats can fold flat. I have heard that it is equally good off-road, if not better, than the old Disco, but have no first hand experience with that.

Reading through comments on the LR3 page, one hears about the smoothness of the highway ride, as well as the handling on-road, something for which the Disco was never famous.

That aside, a reading of the LR3 forums will reveal many, many first year "problems." One can never tell just from anecdotal information just how much weight to put on those comments, but contrast the problems recounted on the LR3 forum with the lack of negative comments on such a humble new intro as the Ford Freestyle.

As far as reliability goes, my Discovery, a 2003 with 33,000 miles on it, has had but one mechanical problem. A wiring harness frayed, causing the check engine light to go on. A quick trip to the dealer fixed it within an hour, along with a free wash and vacuum. Oh, and there was one recall, fixed with equal speed by my dealer, LR Denver East.

I've run my Disco over Colorado and Montana dirt and rock mountain passes, towed a 4,500 lb. trailer over 11,000 foot mountain passes, and plowed through a good part of the 33 inch snow storm that hit the Denver area back in April(?) of 2003. I've averaged over 15.5 mpg for the 33K, which includes at least 4,000 miles of 10-11 mpg towing the trailer. My particular Disco is one tough truck.

If you can buy one that does as well as mine has done, and get it for the right price, you will have one beautiful vehicle. When they get the kinks worked out of the LR3, it, too, will be one tough truck. Unfortunately, all the new stuff they put in it adds about $8,000 to 10,000 to the MSRP, which puts it out of my price range.

If you decide to buy, go find a muddy back road up a mountain and enjoy!

Pete.
  • metropoltianmetropoltian Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of getting a 2002 Diso with about 50K miles, I have read some real bad things about them. I also see that owners are in love with the car. any advice would be great
  • andrealandreal Member Posts: 4
    I have a 96' disco that recently failed inspection because my rear view mirror has tarnished. Does anyone know a cheap fix for this without having to replace the whole mirror? It looks as if some sort of seal broke around the edges. If not, how difficult is it to replace this unit?

Andrea
  • discomandiscoman Member Posts: 110
    Andreal

Unfortunately the only fix is to replace the mirror. No way around it, unless you can register it in a state that doesn't require a safety check. As far as the others that have posted here lately. I have a '96 disco I with 126,000 miles. I have taken it from Seattle to Jacksonville, FL over the cascades and the rockies, pulling a 4,000 lb trailer. I use it regularly to tow my 27 foot, 6,000 lb boat and smile when people stare at me and say "No way you pull that boat with that teeny little Land Rover." Then I watch them have trouble hauling out theirs with their Silverados and F-150's and offer to help. I will own forever. As far as reliability, yeah, it has it's quirks, but has never left me stranded, and if you ALWAYS make sure you do the maintenance, and find a good mechanic for what you can't do, you should have no problems. Don't always rely on the dealers. I found a guy who used to work for LR and quit when they tried to make him cross-train to Jaguar. Now he opened his own LR shop and doesn't charge $95 an hour. :shades:
  • brettpbrettp Member Posts: 5
    I was a little bit reluctant to purchase a Disco with 43,000 miles on it but I did it. Primarily because it was dealer certified. Anyway it is an 04 Discovery S with the dual sunroofs. The only thing bad about the S in my opinion is the Duragrain seats (not real leather). Other then that it has everything that I need. Also, it is difficult to find 04's here in Colorado. I was able to get it for 21,900. I thought that it was a fair price as the vehicle looks basically new. It came off a 2 year lease (according to carfax). The previous owner apparently did some serious driving in the 2 years of ownership. If anybody has any feedback on price let me know.
    Brettp,
    Congratulations on your "new" used S Disco. Based on what I have seen in books colored blue, and perhaps on Edmunds, as well, you paid some $1,500 under what a retail dealer might expect to charge. You also have 7,000 left on the warranty, and the dealer certification.

I have a 2003 se, and love it. I would not expect to get anywhere near $20,000 on a trade-in to a dealer, but they never give anything near retail price on a trade-in. Mine has 33,000 miles on it.

The 2003 & 2004 were the only Discos that have the improved engine, formerly in the Range Rover. They also have the benefit of the several years of ownership by BMW before Landrover was sold to Ford.

My landrover's quality has been excellent over the three years I have owned it, as has been the service by Landrover Denver East, where I bought it.

Another recent post describes the towing prowess of the Disco, and I can also attest to that, as we tow a 4,500 lb. RV trailer all over the mountains of Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. Yes, it does slow down going up hills, but it always makes it through.

I think you will enjoy your truck and I would not worry about not having leather seats. Enjoy it.

Pete.
    Pete,

Thanks for the information. Overall I am really enjoying this truck and I actually get excited about driving to work in it. The service piece is good information ecspecially when you consider that I purchased the truck at Land Rover Denver East and plan on servicing it there. What a coincidence that is. So far I have had an excellent experience there. If you have any advice as to a particular service person that I should contact there (if any one is more preferable then the others) then let me know. Also, I did shop around at Flatirons and Denver South and they did not come anywhere close to the deal that I got at Denver East. I will keep in touch.

Brett
    Brett,

Wow! That is a coincidence. We were just at LR Denver East yesterday to have my first "failure" fixed under warranty. The rear windshield wiper froze to the rear window when we were up at Blackhawk last week. I turned the wiper on to clear the window, not realizing it was frozen. Darn windshield wiper motor was so powerful that it broke the blade arm right off! They fixed it while I waited - no charge.

There are two service staff there. We are not supposed to name names on this forum, but both are excellent. There are two desks, one behind the other on the left as you go in. T sits in the front desk. She is great. D sits at the back desk. He is great. Can't go wrong with either one, and they both know the Disco by heart.

While waiting for the fix (and they always clean the car, inside and out) my spouse and I drooled over the new LR3. Too bad they are so expensive.

Hey, we may run into each other some day going over Georgia or Mosquito Pass - but not in the winter, thanks.

Pete.
    Pete,

Thanks for the information. As I am new to the board (and to ownership) I am not totally up on the rules. I believe that you provided me with enough info to get going though. The LR3 is an awesome vehicle. They had 2 that I actually looked at in the used vehicle section. The sales guy actually made a huge push at selling me one. It was a 05 with like 5,000 miles on it. I told him that it was a little out of my price range at $36,000. While I think that it is a decent price for one that is nearly new I thought that the 04' Disco at $21,900 was more to my liking. I am thinking that eventually that the LR3s will also be available to the point that you will be able to find 2 and 3 year old return lease vehicles in the mid 20's. Anyway, you are more likely to bump into me at Winter Park in the winter and Blackhawk in the summer (It looks like Blackhawk in the summer will be much easier on my rear windshield wiper). Thanks again, and I will be sure to keep in touch on this board.

Brett
  • vanfan3vanfan3 Member Posts: 4
    My earlier message on this was number 4394 and I have missed some of the disucssion in between. However, I can report that thanks to the advice from this forum, I was able to go back to my dealer and insist that they check out the ABS Modulator. This was indeed the problem (they had always said my brakes needed replacing). They replaced the ABS modulator which had an internalcommunication fault under warranty. They also replaces a faulty ACE ECU which also had an internal communciation fault. This was done 3 weeks ago and I have had no recurrence of the problem. The dealer was most resistant to the suggestion that the ABS Modulator was at fault but I put the whole history in writing and they were obliged to investigate. Thanks to all those who reponded.